Print Page | Close Window

Blackfield new album: Welcome to What?!!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77250
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 06:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Blackfield new album: Welcome to What?!!
Posted By: O666
Subject: Blackfield new album: Welcome to What?!!
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 06:49

Cheap music. Cheap lyrics. What is this? POP album? Prog album?! Soft Rock or Love song? I can see the fall of one prog idol in this album. Composing is horrible. Arrangement is "out of date".  They(Blackfield) copy their previouses successful songs in worst shape and they corrupt them. What is this ludicrous lyrics? Specially in "Go to Hell" song.

I think Wilson need to think again. He must go to a silent place, far from music, and thinking about his latest work. I dont care about names, Blackfield or Porcupine tree or No Man or... Each musical product with his name is a Wilson work  and he must know that.

Replies:
Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 06:57
Big Steven Wilson fan.  Unfortunately, this latest Blackfield album is among the worst that Steven Wilson has released.  I do not know what is going on with the "Go to Hell" song but it is pretty lousy IMO.

The Blackfield side project has slowly gone down hill to the point where this latest album is a load of crap.

Sorry Mr. Wilson - you have done much better in the past.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 07:00
Must play my copy to find out what this fuss is about!LOL

My friend said he liked it though.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 07:11
I've read that most of the album was written by the other guy.

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 07:30
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I've read that most of the album was written by the other guy.

The "Go To Hell" song definitely is Geffen's.

EDIT. Yep he wrote the entire thing except for "Waving" And he wrote the majority of the first two as well.

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 07:38

OK. Geffen written most of that but as I said before we know SW is a Blackfield member and I listened to Blackfield for a first time ( 3-4 years past) because of SW name and credit. Blackfield's first album is a pretty good album and their second album is good too. But this one.........

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 07:40
Sounds Ok to me. Listening now. I admit some of it sounds more like Aviv Geffen solo material. 

-------------

Posted By: The Monodrone
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 09:56
I'd say that 90% of the album was done by Geffen.... but what's so bad about it? I personally think it's a wonderful album; the lyrics are strong, meaningful, and the string arrangements are beautiful. What were you all expecting? Blackfield are a pretty standard art-pop band, with a lot of Israeli influences. I take it for what it is, and it is a great album.

Can you honestly say this is a bad/mediocre song:

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 14:29

This is subjective. I compare with first and second albums. I love SW and I know his potential. I expect better album (in this genre) from Wilson. Art-Pop? I dont think so. I think Blackfield music is in Pop-Rock category(IMO). I never expect one Heavy Prog or other sub-gen Prog album from Blackfield but "Welcome..." is so weaker than their previous albums.

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 18:21

Originally posted by The Monodrone The Monodrone wrote:

"One direction with no turning back.
Soon it will turn to black.
Soon it will turn to black."

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 18:23
Newsflash, Blackfield was never considered prog by any sane individual.

Deal with it.

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 18:24
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

Newsflash, Blackfield was never considered prog by any sane individual.

Deal with it.

In fact, they shouldn't even be in this subforum because they're prog related! 

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 18:32
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

"One direction with no turning back.Soon it will turn to black.Soon it will turn to black."
"Today is just the future of the past"

Yes this honestly is a mediocre song.

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 18:35
The album isn't bad musically, nothing spectacular... but the lyrics are mostly horrid.

Posted By: angelmk
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 18:47
i liked the new album.. pop oriented yeah, catchy songs, i didn't pay much attention on the lyrics 

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 18:51
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

I listened to Blackfield for a first time ( 3-4 years past) because of SW name and credit.

Well maybe you should learn not to do that.  I can't see why that particular name would incite anybody to jump all over any musical project anyway...

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 18:54
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I listened to Blackfield for a first time ( 3-4 years past) because of SW name and credit.

Well maybe you should learn not to do that.  I can't see why that particular name would incite anybody to jump all over any musical project anyway...

Says the man who listens to Les Claypool.

-------------

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 19:16
Never listened to Blackfield before. That video was PT lite with extra Floyd added in. Nothing offensive, but nothing that would make me drop cash on the album.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 19:19
Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

I'm already beginning to feel similarly about your tastes to how I feel about Caio's

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 19:21

Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

I'm already beginning to feel similarly about your tastes to how I feel about Caio's

That's not fair; I don't listen to cheesy prog metal.

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 19:24
: P

Posted By: QuestionableScum
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 19:54
Blackfield never were anything special, and from the beginning struck me as Wilson's weakest project. It is all fairly well arranged pop music with horrid lyrics, but it has never been much more.

I hate to fault Wilson, as Porcupine Tree were a huge influence for me and got me into prog more than any other artist, but he does his best work when he does not work in a verse-chorus format. Hence, Blackfield as a definite pop act were likely going to be something that really did not stand out as anymore than fairl well written pop with often inane lyrics.

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 20:03
Originally posted by QuestionableScum QuestionableScum wrote:

Blackfield never were anything special, and from the beginning struck me as Wilson's weakest project. It is all fairly well arranged pop music with horrid lyrics, but it has never been much more.

Ditto.

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 20:36
Originally posted by QuestionableScum QuestionableScum wrote:

I hate to fault Wilson, as Porcupine Tree were a huge influence for me and got me into prog more than any other artist, but he does his best work when he does not work in a verse-chorus format. Hence, Blackfield as a definite pop act were likely going to be something that really did not stand out as anymore than fairl well written pop with often inane lyrics.

Edmonton?  High five Cool

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 21:29
I feel a bit better knowing that I'm not the only one who thinks the album is trash. I have not heard such a bad album in a long, long while. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 21:45

Yes, I find this quite beautiful. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 21:58

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 22:00

I smell a troll... Wink

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 22:19
I smell Henry being Henry. No troll.

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 04:54
If I were to enjoy albums for the quality of their lyrics, I probably wouldn't bother listening to music. If I want nice words, I pick up a book.

This album is more of the same Blackfield sound, albeit indeed more pop-oriented - but what's the problem with that? It's still good pop music, and I'll gladly listen to it over any of the drivel coming from comercial radio stations these days. 

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 06:22

Names is a ONE way to choose a band for first time (IMO). I didn't say " SW in this band then it must be great!"

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 06:36
Sadly I really don't like this album at all after a few listens. There's one or two tracks that I like, the rest really do absolutely nothing for me. Not sure why, it all just sounds incredibly stale. I need to give it some more listens, but to echo what others have said, this is easily my least favourite Blackfield effort (compared to the other two which I adore).

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 06:38
I didn't focus to lyrics but "Welcome to...." forced me to listen lyrics! This album isn't a good POP album too. Not only about lyrics. Blackfield repeat their previous songs in this album with some changes and they corrupt good songs. They didn't release "New Album". Ofcourse this album have Blackfield touch because they copy their previouse songs!!

Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 07:05
How is it "pop".? Does not prog = pop?

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 07:07
I found the first two albums, particularly the first one to have really depressing themes.  Maybe this is just another way of depressing you. Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 08:22
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

"Pop" as in "mainstream TV-prime-time Idol 2011 Justin Bieber pop"

Not "pop" as a generic term for "popular music".

I think most fans of popular music know the difference.

Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 08:41
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

So Blackfield isn't pop? Or it is? I know my opinion and I know what i think pop is. I didn't actually need a definition.

-------------

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 10:12

So Blackfield isn't pop? Or it is? I know my opinion and I know what i think pop is. I didn't actually need a definition.

It looks to me like you're still confused Tongue

Of course Blackfield is "popular music", 90% of the PA database is.
Whether the new one is "Justin Bieber pop" or not, I can't say without listening, but Aviv Geffen solo stuff sure belongs to that category for me.

Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 10:19

It looks to me like you're still confused Tongue

Of course Blackfield is "popular music", 90% of the PA database is.
Whether the new one is "Justin Bieber pop" or not, I can't say without listening, but Aviv Geffen solo stuff sure belongs to that category for me.

I wasn't confused in the first place and am still not. My question was rhetorical. 

Geffens earlier stuff may have been pop. It was certainly popular amongst young Israeli  females at the time. I haven't heard enough of him after that to judge. depends what one means by pop. It may be different for you.

I'm listening to Blackfield now. If asked to say ht it was like, Pop would not be one of my descriptions.

In its original meaning "pop" would cover all the bands in prog Archives. But i've said this before many times.

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 12:18
I get your mean Snow Dog. You right. I dont know POP definition. I dont think we have a same definition about POP but maybe 80% of us undrestand POP mean. No, not prog isn't mean POP. We have many not-prog genres like Blues, Hard Rock or... and we have not-prog Jazz or not-prog Heavy Metal (IMO). I think if we focus on this kind of definitions, We go far from this topic. "Welcome to..." isn't POP or Rock or any genres "Completely". In many moments its same like "Love Songs" or "Music for Lovers" but without adoptable lyrics and in many moments its seem like Hard Rock but without important specifics of this genre. They (Blackfield) try to use genres specifications and mix them with their own style. I think they are not successful (IMO) in this album.

Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 12:26

I get your mean Snow Dog. You right. I dont know POP definition. I dont think we have a same definition about POP but maybe 80% of us undrestand POP mean. No, not prog isn't mean POP. We have many not-prog genres like Blues, Hard Rock or... and we have not-prog Jazz or not-prog Heavy Metal (IMO). I think if we focus on this kind of definitions, We go far from this topic. "Welcome to..." isn't POP or Rock or any genres "Completely". In many moments its same like "Love Songs" or "Music for Lovers" but without adoptable lyrics and in many moments its seem like Hard Rock but without important specifics of this genre. They (Blackfield) try to use genres specifications and mix them with their own style. I think they are not successful (IMO) in this album.

Fair enough. I understand your point. You feel very disappointed. Sorry about that. I  don't think it is so bad myself. But i'm not a huge fan anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 14:16
Thanks. Thumbs Up

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 14:47
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Sadly I really don't like this album at all after a few listens. There's one or two tracks that I like, the rest really do absolutely nothing for me. Not sure why, it all just sounds incredibly stale. I need to give it some more listens, but to echo what others have said, this is easily my least favourite Blackfield effort (compared to the other two which I adore).

Interesting, Joel, because I also love the first two, and was thinking of getting this one in a month or so. I probably still will, but when knowledgeable SW fans such as yourself put that sort of comment down, it does make me wonder whether I should bother, especially after my well publicised difficulties with the last PT album.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: ergaster
Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 12:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I found the first two albums, particularly the first one to have really depressing themes.  Maybe this is just another way of depressing you. Tongue

LOL   Clap

-------------
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.

Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 13:03
Originally posted by ergaster ergaster wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

LOL   Clap

LOL

Well, Steven and Aviv are massive fans of melancholic, sad music. This is their collaborative way of expressing it.... I personally think all three albums are very good. I agree, though, that Welcome to my DNA isn't as good as the first two albums.

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 13:26
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

I feel a bit better knowing that I'm not the only one who thinks the album is trash. I have not heard such a bad album in a long, long while. 

I've heard a lot of negative comments about this one.Apparently all but one track was done by Aviv.I'm not planning on geting it but i got tickets for their Toronto show with AnathemaBeer in Toronto in May.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 13:40
I listened to "Welcome to..." today again. Very sad experience specially in "Go to Hell" song. Hard try to found this album (in Iran!) and pay huge money for it and then they (Blackfield)  told you " F**k You all. I Dont care. Go to hell !!!!! " Why? I pay money and time! I tried hard to found your album. Why? I cant undrestand. Oh yes. They use one another word : "Anymore". I forgot that!    Confused

Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 13:55

I listened to "Welcome to..." today again. Very sad experience specially in "Go to Hell" song. Hard try to found this album (in Iran!) and pay huge money for it and then they (Blackfield)  told you " F**k You all. I Dont care. Go to hell !!!!! " Why? I pay money and time! I tried hard to found your album. Why? I cant undrestand. Oh yes. They use one another word : "Anymore". I forgot that!    Confused

No one forced you to buy the album.

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 14:15

And no one told me they want to say "F**k You". I love their first and second albums and I am SW fan. I didn't listened things like this from them. Maybe you can see future or read others mind. Maybe you have metaphisical abilities but I am a ordinary guy and I haven't special abilities. I must buy albums then listen to them or find 1 or 2 songs in internet. You wrong about this case. This kind of talking like " No one forced you" or  things like this don't work in this case!

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 14:20

And no one told me they want to say "F**k You". I love their first and second albums and I am SW fan. I didn't listened things like this from them. Maybe you can see future or read others mind. Maybe you have metaphisical abilities but I am a ordinary guy and I haven't special abilities. I must buy albums then listen to them or find 1 or 2 songs in internet. You wrong about this case. This kind of talking like " No one forced you" or  things like this don't work in this case!

I like their first two albums alot as well.Fortunately there was a thread on another site with many people complaining about it so i decided why take the chance and throw 20 doallrs away.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 14:34

I can assure that the "F**k You" is NOT intended towards the listener... I hope you don't actually think that.

Also, I have no idea what else you're trying to say; whenever you buy music that you haven't heard before (perhaps even by the same band) there's always the chance that you won't like it. But that's a risk you were willing to take by buying the album.

Artists don't usually/shouldn't create art that pleases everyone; what a stale world we would live in if that were so... it's impossible to please everyone, after all, we don't live in a Utopian society.

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 14:35

I don't think he is saying f**k you to you...or to any of the fans. Do you think all songs are directed at you?

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 14:55

I don't think he is saying f**k you to you...or to any of the fans. Do you think all songs are directed at you?
Why are you saying that? This song have only those sentences that i wrote. No. I never think all songs direct to me and I know you undrestand my opinion! Please tell me they talk to who? I listened too many songs same to "Go to Hell". Frank Zappa have this kind of lyrics too but I undrestand what he say.
You are very smart Snow Dog and I like it. Its very clear that they dont know me and I am not their aim! They say to all their listeners "F**k You" (IMO) . Avin try to say : " Oh. I am very different guy" .(IMO)
Finaly I dont judge "Welcome to...." by 1 or 2 songs. I don't like this album from start to end and I have my reasons. This is my opinion. Thanks

Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 15:01

I can assure that the "F**k You" is NOT intended towards the listener... I hope you don't actually think that.

Also, I have no idea what else you're trying to say; whenever you buy music that you haven't heard before (perhaps even by the same band) there's always the chance that you won't like it. But that's a risk you were willing to take by buying the album.

Artists don't usually/shouldn't create art that pleases everyone; what a stale world we would live in if that were so... it's impossible to please everyone, after all, we don't live in a Utopian society.

WOW. How can I listen to one album before I buy that? I dont undrestand you!! I buy my fav artists works because I know them. If Blackfield release another album, I buy it 100% and listene to it then talk about my opinion about that. I don't think this is unreasonabl! I dont know. Maybe you have another ways.

Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 15:05

WOW. How can I listen to one album before I buy that? I dont undrestand you!! I buy my fav artists works because I know them. If Blackfield release another album, I buy it 100% and listene to it then talk about my opinion about that. I don't think this is unreasonabl! I dont know. Maybe you have another ways.

I respect your opinions, O666, but I'm not sure I understand them, that is all. Youtube is a great resource for previewing music.

All I'm saying is that just because you like a band's previous work doesn't mean they are going to tailor their future albums to each and everyone's tastes. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 15:51

I respect your opinions, O666, but I'm not sure I understand them, that is all. Youtube is a great resource for previewing music.

All I'm saying is that just because you like a band's previous work doesn't mean they are going to tailor their future albums to each and everyone's tastes
100% agree with you. I know this. But when I love one musician like SW and listened to most of his works (PT,Blackfield,No-man,I.E.M,BC and his solos) ,its very normal to pay money for his new works (for me). As I said before I will buy next Blackfield work.Now about Youtube. I living in Iran and Youtube,Facebook and this kind of sites are FILTERed by goverment in Iran!!  Our Internet speed is so LOW and we have too many troubles to find this kind of music. For example you can find Lady Ga Ga's albums,songs,photos and.... very easy in Iran but NOT-POP stuffs are hard to find. I hope you undrestand me.

Posted By: Conor Fynes
Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 19:24
I'm really looking forward to hearing it, actually. I haven't heard anything recently released by Wilson that I haven't loved.

Posted By: petraman
Date Posted: April 06 2011 at 23:00
First off, I should mention that I've never heard this album (although I own the first two...  the new one isn't available in the states yet...), but I do know that many of these songs are just Aviv's songs translated from Hebrew (or at least they were on the first two albums) which may have something to do with the poor lyrics.  I'm a huge SW fan, but I agree that Blackfield is his weakest project, although what does that make it?  Compared to SWs other work it might be weak, but I still think it's rather good.  It's dark, but isn't most of SWs stuff like that?  I don't know, I'm still giving it a chance come the 19th...

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/peteyification/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: April 07 2011 at 13:43
I have their first two albums.  They're OK, but not great.  I listened to the song samples for "Welcome to my DNA" on Amazon and they sounded like nothing special.  I also keep hearing that the lyrics suck.  I don't think I'll be purchasing this album, I'm just not that interested. 

On the other hand, I will be looking forward to Steven Wilson's next solo album.

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 05:09
Blackfield plays in my town next week. It seems that  you don't recommend me to go... LOL

Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 05:15
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Blackfield plays in my town next week. It seems that  you don't recommend me to go... LOL

My friend saw them this week and said they were brilliant. They did play the whole of the new album though. He said Pineapple theif wrev excellent too.

-------------

Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 12:25
Go and enjoy. I'm sure they will good on stage. I like them and I only shared my opinion about their last album. Its not mean I ignore them or they are bad. Only another musical discuss in PA's forum. I don't have a chance to see them or any of my fav bands on stage. Use your chance.

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: April 10 2011 at 00:01
THANK. YOU. PSY. LAAAAAAAAASSSSS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ngaRY9T4g" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ngaRY9T4g

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2011 at 12:28
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

THANK. YOU. PSY. LAAAAAAAAASSSSS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ngaRY9T4g" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ngaRY9T4g

What's the significance to this link?

Good cover by Blackfield.

-------------

Posted By: ShipOfFools
Date Posted: April 10 2011 at 14:20
Blackfield has always been pop rock. In that, they haven't really changed.

You have to remember that Aviv wrote all but one of the songs on this album. If you don't dig his stuff, you're not going to dig it.

I like Aviv's songs, however, and I feel that the new Blackfield album is wonderful. I bought the cd version, and may order the vinyl. It's the first Blackfield album I feel is worth owning on LP.

-------------

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha

Posted By: lensag
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 13:28
I liked it.. a little passive agressive but it reflects the essence of a pop rock alternative band like blackfield..
I love the cover.

-------------
"when routine bites hard and ambitions are low,
and resentment rides high but emotions won´t grow
And we´re changing our ways, taking different roads..
Then love, love will tear us apart again.."

Posted By: TheClosing
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 17:35
I have absolutely no problem with pop, but it's not even a decent pop record. I wish Steve would retire Blackfield altogether. 

Posted By: domizia
Date Posted: May 05 2011 at 02:10
Blackfield were absolutely stunning onstage (saw them  twice a couple of weeks ago) and I strongly recommend to go and see them. They're about to begin the North American leg of the tour. They've sold out a few places in the European leg. The new tracks sound a LOT better live and it's always good to listen to the old ones played live -if you actually like their genre, that is! 
I'm among those who appreciate Aviv Geffen's genre and previous albums, though I learned about him after falling in love with Blackfield in 2007 at a show. That tour was more melancholic, and enchanting, while this one is more about having a good time and adding an edge of rock to the tracks. 
But hey, just don't go looking for Steven Wilson's average complexity here.

-------------
RPI=> http://www.camelotclubprog.net" rel="nofollow - Camelot Club Prog ...but also> http://www.maracash.com" rel="nofollow - MaRaCash records.

Date Posted: May 05 2011 at 06:08
Originally posted by ShipOfFools ShipOfFools wrote:

You have to remember that Aviv wrote all but one of the songs on this album. If you don't dig his stuff, you're not going to dig it.

I like Aviv's songs, however, and I feel that the new Blackfield album is wonderful. I bought the cd version, and may order the vinyl. It's the first Blackfield album I feel is worth owning on LP.
This is not about their genre or style. "Welcome ...." isn't good as their previous albums (IMO) and I think they step backward. Some friends talked about their live performance and said they are good on stage. I talked about their last studio album "Welcome..." and I like to know opinions about "Welcome..." not opinions about BLACKFIELD. Thanks.

Date Posted: May 05 2011 at 07:30

Originally posted by ShipOfFools ShipOfFools wrote:

This is not about their genre or style. "Welcome ...." isn't good as their previous albums (IMO) and I think they step backward. Some friends talked about their live performance and said they are good on stage. I talked about their last studio album "Welcome..." and I like to know opinions about "Welcome..." not opinions about BLACKFIELD. Thanks.

As I said, they play the whole of the new album live. So these comments are relevant.

-------------

Posted By: kolossusuk
Date Posted: May 09 2011 at 09:46
I am a Wilson obsessive and for me he could do no wrong,

HOWEVER this latest offering is utterly forgettable. Perhaps he is spreading himself a bit thin and this one was on the lines of a contractual obligation offering

First album was good as indeed was the second one, though to be honest, I am not a great fan of Geffen

Posted By: Westsiyeed
Date Posted: May 09 2011 at 22:54
I think that's the key with this album - SW has not had the involvement he's had with previous Blackfield albums. He's got so much going on that he's basically come in to do the vocals and contribute a song, then back to organising his other music.

That said, all Blackfield album's are primarily Geffen's writing, it's just the influence and input from SW has been dwindling over time.

I don't mind the album for what it is (slow pop-rock for want of a better term), but compared to other SW work it pales in comparison. I do love the song "Blood" though.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk