URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77352
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 22:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jethro Tull vs. Genesis
Posted By: Paravion
Subject: Jethro Tull vs. Genesis
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 14:54
Just curious..

..I'd prefer to listen to Genesis almost any time..

Replies:
Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 14:59
Just the opposite.
Tull: great
Genesis: meh

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 15:00
Peter's Genesis over JT.

JT over Phil's Genesis..

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 15:00
Genesis!

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: Paravion
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 15:14
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

Phil's Genesis

I didn't even consider that. 

But if Phil's genesis can increase the number of genesis-voters and secure the win, count it in. 

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 15:37
Genesis by an elephant's noselength.

-------------

Posted By: unforgivable74
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 15:41
Genesis and even Phil's Genesis up to ATTWT. I love Jethro Tull but I find their later stuff difficult to get on with.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 15:44
The one and only ......... Genesis.

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 15:48
GENESIS--I find the JT sound monotonous. 

Posted By: Badabing666
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 16:05
Really like JT but really love Genesis.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 16:21
Genesis although Thick As A Brick is as good as anything Genesis ever did imo.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 16:38
Genesis, but only by a hair...who lost his spectacles. Geek

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 17:14
Oh my gosh, I love both of them, especially Genesis through Wind and Wuthering, but if it wasn't for Jethro Tull I would not have gotten into prog. Have to vote for Tull. TAAB and APP are my 2 favorite prog albums. I still listen to both of them a lot. 

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 17:33
this is a tough one. APP and TAAB are terrific albums and rest of JT to up to Heavy Horses are fine too.
Genesis masterpieces are from Tresspas to LAmb, and though no Genesis album can beat APP, I'll vote Genesis.

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 17:36
Originally posted by unforgivable74 unforgivable74 wrote:

Genesis and even Phil's Genesis up to ATTWT. I love Jethro Tull but I find their later stuff difficult to get on with.

not to mention Genesis albums after WAW, horrible stuff ...

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 18:22
Jethro Tull, caus they rock harder and got more good albums.

-------------

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 18:58
I can only stand to listen to one side of a Tull album at the time while I can listen to a couple of Genesis albums in a row.
But somehow I like Tull a bit better. Very strange, can't explain why.   

Posted By: bov
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 20:35
Tull for keeping it true all the way.

Posted By: Mista-Gordie
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 21:05
Genesis

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 21:40
It's Tull for me, above all bands, but Genesis are also great!!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 23:49
Tull for I find them more consistant. Sure they had some slip ups, but even their late stuff is enjoyable at least somewhat, while Genesis' late stuff was pure rubbish.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 01:29
Genesis has 7 classic albums which to me are between 4.5 to 5 stars, while JT has only 3 (Minstrel In The Gallery, TAAB and Aqualung, in that order). Genesis wins.

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 05:28
Genesis

(I don't like the composition style of Jethro Tull very much...)

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 05:39
Voted for Tull because real Genesis, of course I mean that great Gabriel era, was too short.

Posted By: Varon
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 07:04
Originally posted by akaBona akaBona wrote:

this is a tough one. APP and TAAB are terrific albums and rest of JT to up to Heavy Horses are fine too.
Genesis masterpieces are from Tresspas to LAmb, and though no Genesis album can beat APP,  I'll vote Genesis.
Clap
I prefer TAAB to any Genesis album but in general I prefer Genesis) 
And now I vote for JT because Genesis will win in any case and JT deserve more votes)

-------------
Would you catch the final words of mine?
Would you catch my words???

Posted By: davidk
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 07:15
For me it would have to be Tull! Genesis was a great band, but they have not come up with enough albums that are on the same Level as Tull for me to vote for them. Passion Play is definitely one of the greatest most under appreciated concept albums to ever come out. 

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 07:19

Genesis but only the early stuff

Tull continued to release prog albums way after Genesis gave up

-------------

Posted By: davidk
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 07:21
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Genesis but only the early stuff

Tull continued to release prog albums way after Genesis gave up

Gave up? Or Phil just realized money was more important to him than making good music? I think had this been a forum of Peter Gabriel Genesis and Solo vs Jethro Tull, it would have been a very hard decision because after leaving Genesis he was still making great albums. Genesis just had two after that then switched to pop. 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 07:56
Chalk and cheese really, but I'd rather listen to Genesis any day of the week.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 08:17
Tull

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Harold-The-Barrel
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 08:18
I love both but i'd have to go with Genesis, they had much more quality in depth...

-------------
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 08:23
Hell, I don't know.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 08:32
Two years back, when my TAAB love ran really high, I would have found it a tough vote. Not anymore.  Genesis.  I still love Tull's music so very much, though.

Posted By: kawkaw123
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 09:06
Genesis, they were way more consistent than Jethro Tull. Even when they were playing pop music they were still one of the greatest bands in that genre at the time. 

Posted By: motoprog
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 12:11
Genesis

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 12:11
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Jethro Tull, caus they rock harder and got more good albums.
Approve

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 15:27
Jethro TullWink

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 15:54
Genesis

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 19:41
Tull. Their 12 original releases, from This Was to Storm Watch, far outweigh the output of Genesis, particularly the relatively short period when they actually cared about their music.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: hobocamp
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 22:44
Originally posted by akaBona akaBona wrote:

this is a tough one. APP and TAAB are terrific albums and rest of JT to up to Heavy Horses are fine too.Genesis masterpieces are from Tresspas to LAmb, and though no Genesis album can beat APP, I'll vote Genesis.
Pretty much this.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: April 10 2011 at 20:50
Tull were definately better. If you are young, go out and get all the remasters. Bonus tracks are awesome and they definately make up for albums tracks which were not as good but were chosen for the album for some reason or another. After many listens you work out which are your fave songs and the bonus tracks are usually amongst the top 10 songs on each remaster. It's fun programming the songs in a certain order and playing the best 10-12 songs on the cd including the bonus tracks. Tull have an excellent trilogy of remasters:

songs from the wood-quality folk prog
heavy horses-more quality folk prog
stormwatch-strong bonus tracks make this good album into a really strong cd

then they have the 3 monsters:

thick as a brick-classic prog
a passion play-almost classic prog
living in the past-my fave tull release

and these 2 are probably the best value remasters of all time

warchild-the 7 bonus tracks are the best songs on the remaster mainly. Very good remaster
benefit-some classic tunes, expecially the bonus tracks

As for genesis, trespass and foxtrot are pretty cool. Nursery cryme is a bit dull. The lamb and Selling England have their faults but they are cool too. Not really a gabriel fan. Doesn't have a very good voice and some of his lyrics are cringeworthy. I liked what Genesis were doing in Wuthering and Trick. They gained a cleaner sound. I'd rank Garbriel era among the top 10 bands from 1970-75 probably, but the combination of Hacketts depressing guitar sound, Gabriels squeely rough voice and Banks occasional strange sounds prevent Genesis from being among my top 5 bands. With so many good bands in the 70s, I've always found it weird that bands such as genesis and crimson are ranked at the very top. Top 10 is understandable Cool

Posted By: zbida
Date Posted: April 11 2011 at 02:35
Respects for Jethro Tull, vote for Genesis.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: April 11 2011 at 10:45
love both.....voted Tull

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: April 11 2011 at 15:30
They're my favorite prog bands after Pink Floyd, but I prefer Jethro a bit. "Thick As A Brick" is just perfect.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 07:00
What hope would Tull have in a Genesis-laden appreciators site like PA?

But JT get my vote by a country mile.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 07:17
Genesis.

Genesis are ina lot of polls recently.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 07:27
Genesis for me. I like all of their '70's albums, plus some later stuff as well.

I appreciate Jethro Tull and I agree that they're one of the best prog bands, but I like Genesis much more.

Posted By: Steven Brodziak
Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 21:18
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Genesis.

Others just can't accept that they were the best prog band ever. Great feeling, stellar instrumentation (of old).
So they throw everyone at them that they can. Mostly to tout their own favorite.

Love Tull, Genesis is my pick.

-------------
Well, there it is. (Amadeus)

Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 22:36
Originally posted by Steven Brodziak Steven Brodziak wrote:

Genesis.

Others just can't accept that they were the best prog band ever. Great feeling, stellar instrumentation (of old).
So they throw everyone at them that they can. Mostly to tout their own favorite.

I definately wouldn't consider gabriel era genesis the best. There are things about the band which I would gaurantee would hold them back if most people got into 70s prog. I reckon most people would get into prog after enough listening but most people have pretty simple/dumb taste in music. But in the end they would wake up to how good prog is after enough listening. I'm very confident they would rate tull higher than genesis in the end though. Tull remasters are full of great value. Even the remaster of Warchild compares pretty similarly to The lamb even if the original album wasn't that strong. Both from 1974 and both pretty much double album length. Both have strong and weak tracks. I love those bonus tracks on Warchild the most on the cd. They are the songs that should have been on the soundtrack in the first place, not those poppy songs like bungle, third hoorah, sealion, 2 fingers.

I think if someone had these releases of both bands i'd think tull would still come out of top.

TAAB-excellent
LITP-excellent
Bursting out-very good
SFTW remaster-very good
Heavy horses remaster-very good
Stormwatch remaster-fairly good album, but very good year in studio(bonus tracks really add quality)
Warchild remaster-decent soundtrack, but very good year in studio(7 bonus tracks are among 10 best songs)
Benefit remaster-fairly good album, but very good year in studio(teacher and witches promise are excellent)
APP-pretty good album

Foxtrot-very good
Trespass-very good
The lamb-very good although i can't stand NYC and 2nd half of title song
Wind and wuthering-very good
Trick of the tail-very good
Selling england-pretty good

Posted By: Progist
Date Posted: April 13 2011 at 12:10
Genesis! I only like them up to Wind & Wuthering though, I mean, what was the point in Genesis sans Gabriel & Hackett? Tull would come reasonable close though, behind VDGG.

-------------

Posted By: LateralMe
Date Posted: April 13 2011 at 15:03
Genesis takes it for me! I do enjoy Jethro Tull though.

-------------
A Flower!?

Posted By: Steven Brodziak
Date Posted: April 14 2011 at 02:02
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by Steven Brodziak Steven Brodziak wrote:

Genesis.

I definately wouldn't consider gabriel era genesis the best. There are things about the band which I would gaurantee would hold them back if most people got into 70s prog. I reckon most people would get into prog after enough listening but most people have pretty simple/dumb taste in music. But in the end they would wake up to how good prog is after enough listening. I'm very confident they would rate tull higher than genesis in the end though. Tull remasters are full of great value. Even the remaster of Warchild compares pretty similarly to The lamb even if the original album wasn't that strong. Both from 1974 and both pretty much double album length. Both have strong and weak tracks. I love those bonus tracks on Warchild the most on the cd. They are the songs that should have been on the soundtrack in the first place, not those poppy songs like bungle, third hoorah, sealion, 2 fingers.

I think if someone had these releases of both bands i'd think tull would still come out of top.

TAAB-excellent
LITP-excellent
Bursting out-very good
SFTW remaster-very good
Heavy horses remaster-very good
Stormwatch remaster-fairly good album, but very good year in studio(bonus tracks really add quality)
Warchild remaster-decent soundtrack, but very good year in studio(7 bonus tracks are among 10 best songs)
Benefit remaster-fairly good album, but very good year in studio(teacher and witches promise are excellent)
APP-pretty good album

Foxtrot-very good
Trespass-very good
The lamb-very good although i can't stand NYC and 2nd half of title song
Wind and wuthering-very good
Trick of the tail-very good
Selling england-pretty good

Not trying to be short but I have limited time. I would have included "Stand Up". Some very very nice songs on there. I think I'd actually rate some of the Tull higher than you did, of course I do not agree with your Genesis rating. You can tell by the night fires where Rael has been. Also anything less than excellent on Trespass.......Like I said and most have here, Love Tull. Consistant for the most part. Have you heard "A Little Light Music"? 1992 live, awesome stuff.

-------------
Well, there it is. (Amadeus)

Posted By: bucka001
Date Posted: April 16 2011 at 07:54

I reckon most people would get into prog after enough listening but most people have pretty simple/dumb taste in music. But in the end they would wake up to how good prog is after enough listening.

Actually, Ian Anderson might disagree with you about prog (and he certainly doesn't seem to respect Gabriel-era Genesis).

Anderson from the new Classic Rock Presents Prog: "Prog became a bit of a joke, really. Perhaps the archetpal prog rock bands were the spaghetti noodlers like Yes and ELP, who could take a good idea and make it last for days! Some of it was silly, when you think about Peter Gabriel dressed a giant sunflower. It was ridiculous."

-------------
jc

Date Posted: April 16 2011 at 08:05
^That's rich coming from Ian Anderson.

-------------

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: April 16 2011 at 08:08

Too bad there isn't a "both equally" option.

But if I have to choose it's JT, for Stand Up, Benefit and TaaB mainly.

Date Posted: April 16 2011 at 18:17
Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

I reckon most people would get into prog after enough listening but most people have pretty simple/dumb taste in music. But in the end they would wake up to how good prog is after enough listening.

Actually, Ian Anderson might disagree with you about prog (and he certainly doesn't seem to respect Gabriel-era Genesis).

Anderson from the new Classic Rock Presents Prog: "Prog became a bit of a joke, really. Perhaps the archetpal prog rock bands were the spaghetti noodlers like Yes and ELP, who could take a good idea and make it last for days! Some of it was silly, when you think about Peter Gabriel dressed a giant sunflower. It was ridiculous."

He's kind of right. Tull are the perfect blend of rock,folk, classical and jazz. When they did a long song they made sure the whole song was full of strong changing melodies. They didn't put in 5 minutes of sound effects to fill in space. ELP were finished after Trilogy imo. When I see pictures of Gabriel with his head shaved down the middle I think showpony/rebel which doesn't go down as cool at all. His voice on the Lamb is pretty annoying and his outfits were pretty embarrasing lol. Tulls remasters from 1970-74 and 1977-80 are awesome

Posted By: bucka001
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 09:31

He's kind of right. Tull are the perfect blend of rock,folk, classical and jazz. When they did a long song they made sure the whole song was full of strong changing melodies. They didn't put in 5 minutes of sound effects to fill in space. ELP were finished after Trilogy imo. When I see pictures of Gabriel with his head shaved down the middle I think showpony/rebel which doesn't go down as cool at all. His voice on the Lamb is pretty annoying and his outfits were pretty embarrasing lol. Tulls remasters from 1970-74 and 1977-80 are awesome

If Ian Anderson is kind of right, as you say, then maybe music fans who aren't into prog don't necessarily have "simple/dumb taste in music" and probably wouldn't "wake up to how good prog is after enough listening." Especially not if prog's about "spaghetti noodlers" and ridiculous theatrics. Reading Anderson's quote, one gets the feeling that the fans who turned away from prog and aren't interested may be more clued-in than you're giving them credit for. On the other hand, maybe you're right about people getting into prog if they'd only give it enough listening... but then Anderson's statement would have to be taken with a grain of salt (and probably disagreed with).

-------------
jc

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 09:34
I'm going for Tull. Listening to a whole Genesis album is grating to me.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: let prog reign
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 12:53
Genesis, only by a lot

-------------
Once upon a time there was some writing on the wall we all ignored, until the time that there was war and feasts of famine at our door

Posted By: Heathcliffe
Date Posted: April 18 2011 at 17:35
My 2 fave bands.
Tull will always get my vote though.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: April 19 2011 at 14:36

All Genesis, all the time.

Date Posted: April 19 2011 at 20:55

If Ian Anderson is kind of right, as you say, then maybe music fans who aren't into prog don't necessarily have "simple/dumb taste in music" and probably wouldn't "wake up to how good prog is after enough listening." Especially not if prog's about "spaghetti noodlers" and ridiculous theatrics. Reading Anderson's quote, one gets the feeling that the fans who turned away from prog and aren't interested may be more clued-in than you're giving them credit for. On the other hand, maybe you're right about people getting into prog if they'd only give it enough listening... but then Anderson's statement would have to be taken with a grain of salt (and probably disagreed with).

There's nothing particularly defensible about that statement, if he made it. If Yes and ELP were making a good idea last a week, what were JT doing but rejigging Aqualung for each 'new' album for fans who couldn't have enough of the same sound?  Now, that's an obvious exaggeration, but intended as a rebuttal to someone who actually thinks that is a justifiable description of prog.

Date Posted: April 19 2011 at 22:07

well the thing i love about prog is the composition. I don't really care about experimenting or songs lasting 20 minutes with 5 minutes of filler.

Posted By: mr.cub
Date Posted: April 19 2011 at 22:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

There's nothing particularly defensible about that statement, if he made it. If Yes and ELP were making a good idea last a week, what were JT doing but rejigging Aqualung for each 'new' album for fans who couldn't have enough of the same sound?  Now, that's an obvious exaggeration, but intended as a rebuttal to someone who actually thinks that is a justifiable description of prog.

Don't really think Tull was rehashing Aqualung with their subsequent releases, each album from the seventies has its own flavor. Personally go with Tull over Genesis; a very diverse band and they put out a string of fantastic albums

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 19 2011 at 22:41
Originally posted by mr.cub mr.cub wrote:

Don't really think Tull was rehashing Aqualung with their subsequent releases, each album from the seventies has its own flavor. Personally go with Tull over Genesis; a very diverse band and they put out a string of fantastic albums

I agree with that. Tull has always found a way to put very different music in their albums, somehow preserving the authentic Tull sound. Even though they are classified as folk rock in this forum, their music is more eclectic and full of many different influences.

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 15:55
I love both , all these polls are a bit tiring, think it's better making poll between albums from one band Sleepy

Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 16:09
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

I love both , all these polls are a bit tiring, think it's better making poll between albums from one band Sleepy

Genesis vs Mozart next.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 16:16

Genesis vs Mozart next.

How about Genesis vs Mozart  vs W.C. Handy vs Bertolt Brecht? Just to stir things up?

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 16:34

Genesis vs Mozart next.   pffff! but i love both SnowDog,Unhappy

Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 20:52
Originally posted by mr.cub mr.cub wrote:

The point is, if Tull did, then so did Yes, ELP and Genesis.  If people don't think the individual albums of those bands lacked, duh, individuality, that is most likely down to having not listened enough to them.  I don't see how BSS is in any way a rehash of Tarkus or TFTO a rehash of CTTE, for instance and my post was evidently addressed to that point.

Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 20:53

well the thing i love about prog is the composition. I don't really care about experimenting or songs lasting 20 minutes with 5 minutes of filler.

Where are five minutes of filler in Close to The Edge (song)?  It's one of the tightest prog epics around and a good deal tighter than Supper's Ready, TAAB or APP. 

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 21:02
Boo Genesis. Yay Jethro Tull.

-------------

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 21:08

Where are five minutes of filler in Close to The Edge (song)?  It's one of the tightest prog epics around and a good deal tighter than Supper's Ready, TAAB or APP. 

As much as I prefer TAAB and APP to Close to the Edge, it's hard to disagree with this. All three of the other songs you mentioned undeniably have filler parts, with the greatest culprit being TAAB, which is part of the reason why I've recently turned away from it in recent years in favor of other tull albums. Baker St. Muse is pretty solid from beginning to end though.

-------------

Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 19:52

There's a touch of filler in the title song I think. I think Relayer has more filler though. Gates doesn't need to be 20 minutes long. I only rate the first 5 or 6 minutes highly. Nothing beats composition. Noises and ballads show lack of ideas imo

Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 22:27

There's a touch of filler in the title song I think. I think Relayer has more filler though. Gates doesn't need to be 20 minutes long. I only rate the first 5 or 6 minutes highly. Nothing beats composition. Noises and ballads show lack of ideas imo

Touch, indeed!  Whatever.  And that section after the first five minutes is carefully composed music, unless you also regard Schoenberg or Stockhausen as noise and only anything blues based with happy chords as music.  Seriously though, TAAB loses the plot from minutes 20 to 30 and you have more of an issue with a 'touch of filler' in CTTE?  You are evidently quite biased.  I like both bands, mind, so I am just trying to understand whether you have any point.

Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 23:30

Touch, indeed!  Whatever.  And that section after the first five minutes is carefully composed music, unless you also regard Schoenberg or Stockhausen as noise and only anything blues based with happy chords as music.  Seriously though, TAAB loses the plot from minutes 20 to 30 and you have more of an issue with a 'touch of filler' in CTTE?  You are evidently quite biased.  I like both bands, mind, so I am just trying to understand whether you have any point.

The only filler on TAAB is near the start of side 2. But it is filler I guess. But I do prefer TAAB over CTTE

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 00:05

The only filler on TAAB is near the start of side 2. But it is filler I guess. But I do prefer TAAB over CTTE

You're very much entitled to your preferences. nobody is questioning them.  But don't come up with specious arguments to create a pseudo-empirical basis to dismiss another band.  

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 01:12

You're very much entitled to your preferences. nobody is questioning them.  But don't come up with specious arguments to create a pseudo-empirical basis to dismiss another band.  

Why not? I think Yes were best from 1970-72. I honestly think they started to run out of composition ideas after that. They only did 2 albums from 1975-1979. 2 albums in 5 years isn't much. Was never a big fan of GFTO either.

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 01:22

Why not? I think Yes were best from 1970-72. I honestly think they started to run out of composition ideas after that. They only did 2 albums from 1975-1979. 2 albums in 5 years isn't much. Was never a big fan of GFTO either.

You are backpedalling now. You earlier defended Anderson's statement which tantamounted to saying that Yes simply covered a decent idea with noodling and said you don't like compositions with a lot of filler. A reasonable reading of what you said would give the impression that you think Yes in general were just a pile of noodle, which you are backtracking from now.

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:02

You are backpedalling now. You earlier defended Anderson's statement which tantamounted to saying that Yes simply covered a decent idea with noodling and said you don't like compositions with a lot of filler. A reasonable reading of what you said would give the impression that you think Yes in general were just a pile of noodle, which you are backtracking from now.

I never said anything bad about Yes, so why you say I did? Wink
All I'm saying is while Yes are one of my top 10 fave bands, they kind of lost their greatness after 1972 because they dragged out songs to 15 or 20 minutes when there wasn't enough strong composition to fill the song. I see great moments but also holes in Relayer. GFTO isn't bad, but nowhere near the quality of 1970-72. I quite like Tormato because it was back to the shorter songs like Fragile/The yes album. I quite like Tales but I still don't see the need for a double album. Tull was capable of making a 45 minute song without much filler, while Yes would struggle to make a 20 minute song without the same amount of filler. Ian Anderson was  such a good composer. He came up with so many good melodic verses/chorses. So many great bonus tracks

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:11

All I'm saying is while Yes are one of my top 10 fave bands, they kind of lost their greatness after 1972 because they dragged out songs to 15 or 20 minutes when there wasn't enough strong composition to fill the song. I see great moments but also holes in Relayer. GFTO isn't bad, but nowhere near the quality of 1970-72. I quite like Tormato because it was back to the shorter songs like Fragile/The yes album. I quite like Tales but I still don't see the need for a double album. Tull was capable of making a 45 minute song without much filler, while Yes would struggle to make a 20 minute song without the same amount of filler. Ian Anderson was  such a good composer. He came up with so many good melodic verses/chorses. So many great bonus tracks

Again, that's not what you were saying earlier so you have changed your stance.  And you are again generalizing in the last part. Yes at their best could make an epic, namely CTTE, tighter than any of JT's compositions. It has no filler whatsoever, so I don't see how you came to that conclusion.  And even when I don't like TFTO, I don't think they padded out their songs intentionally to stretch them to 20 minutes, it's simply that the material itself isn't that strong.  I don't think that is the same thing as padding or noodling at all, whereas you were agreeing to a statement of Anderson that Yes and ELP simply noodled out decent ideas.  

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 05:28

Again, that's not what you were saying earlier so you have changed your stance.  And you are again generalizing in the last part. Yes at their best could make an epic, namely CTTE, tighter than any of JT's compositions. It has no filler whatsoever, so I don't see how you came to that conclusion.  And even when I don't like TFTO, I don't think they padded out their songs intentionally to stretch them to 20 minutes, it's simply that the material itself isn't that strong.  I don't think that is the same thing as padding or noodling at all, whereas you were agreeing to a statement of Anderson that Yes and ELP simply noodled out decent ideas.  

I haven't changed my stance at all. I never said anything about not liking Yes. I think you had a dream about me knocking them because you are saying stuff i never said and somehow you think I dislike the band. I obviously do like them because i have all their 60s, 70s and early 80s remasters as well as the 20 year box set. I like Yes alot but I like Tull more. Same with Genesis, I like their mid 70s without Gabriel and quite like their Gabriel years although there are some cringeworthy moments from Gabriel which takes some gloss off their 1970-74 period

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 05:33

I haven't changed my stance at all. I never said anything about not liking Yes. I think you had a dream about me knocking them because you are saying stuff i never said and somehow you think I dislike the band. I obviously do like them because i have all their 60s, 70s and early 80s remasters as well as the 20 year box set. I like Yes alot but I like Tull more. Same with Genesis, I like their mid 70s without Gabriel and quite like their Gabriel years although there are some cringeworthy moments from Gabriel which takes some gloss off their 1970-74 period

If you did not change your stance and if you really like Yes, care to explain what do you find justifiable about Anderson's disparaging comment about Yes?  So, you like taking a decent idea and running with it for a week with piles of noodling, am I to take that as your 'final' stance?

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 06:03

If you did not change your stance and if you really like Yes, care to explain what do you find justifiable about Anderson's disparaging comment about Yes?  So, you like taking a decent idea and running with it for a week with piles of noodling, am I to take that as your 'final' stance?

Ian is just saying that bands such as Yes and Genesis took it a step too far occasionally. I agree with him. I would like Yes more if they stuck to shorter tunes, but the question is Could Yes continue to produce 10 compositions per album?

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 06:09

Ian is just saying that bands such as Yes and Genesis took it a step too far occasionally. I agree with him. I would like Yes more if they stuck to shorter tunes, but the question is Could Yes continue to produce 10 compositions per album?

He didn't say that at all, at least the words used were much harsher.  What is a step too far, anything you don't like? As I said, each one is entitled to his preferences but the concept of noodling is not so whimsical. It is clearly a section of music that completely lacks any initiative, does not take the composition forward and lacks much relation to what comes before and after it. You'd be hard pressed to objectively name more instances in the 70s recordings of Yes than JT.  Generally, their material is thoroughly composed regardless of whether it's brilliant or mediocre. Moreover, anything that is unorthodox or unconventional like Sound Chaser is not necessarily noodling. JT rely much more on songs than free form and so will tend to be more accessible, but that doesn't mean using free form is in itself a bad idea.

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 06:36

He didn't say that at all, at least the words used were much harsher.  What is a step too far, anything you don't like? As I said, each one is entitled to his preferences but the concept of noodling is not so whimsical. It is clearly a section of music that completely lacks any initiative, does not take the composition forward and lacks much relation to what comes before and after it. You'd be hard pressed to objectively name more instances in the 70s recordings of Yes than JT.  Generally, their material is thoroughly composed regardless of whether it's brilliant or mediocre. Moreover, anything that is unorthodox or unconventional like Sound Chaser is not necessarily noodling. JT rely much more on songs than free form and so will tend to be more accessible, but that doesn't mean using free form is in itself a bad idea.

Soundchaser is exactly what Ian is probably talking about. A song that starts great but repeats itself for nearly 10 minutes. Becomes a bit annoying by the half way mark. Gates starts off great too, but then you have 5 minutes of effects and the eerie Soon. Nothing beats great melody imo. I expect at least a dozen strong melodies in a great album, not 2 or 3. TAAB has about a dozen great compositions.

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 06:42
ha. Relayer is about ten times better than TAAB.

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 06:43
Back to topic

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 06:45

Soundchaser is exactly what Ian is probably talking about. A song that starts great but repeats itself for nearly 10 minutes. Becomes a bit annoying by the half way mark. Gates starts off great too, but then you have 5 minutes of effects and the eerie Soon. Nothing beats great melody imo. I expect at least a dozen strong melodies in a great album, not 2 or 3. TAAB has about a dozen great compositions.

Those 'effects' are all thoroughly composed and I can clearly discern a direction to the composition.  You may be simply unaccustomed to unconventional music. Calling that noodling is, I am sorry, preposterous when the band clearly has intended to build a mood through the so called effect. I don't even think that is what Anderson meant, it seems to be a rather lazy and dangerously generalized comment, probably with an eye to endear his music more to the classic rock audience, which supposedly hates prog.

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 18:00

Those 'effects' are all thoroughly composed and I can clearly discern a direction to the composition.  You may be simply unaccustomed to unconventional music. Calling that noodling is, I am sorry, preposterous when the band clearly has intended to build a mood through the so called effect. I don't even think that is what Anderson meant, it seems to be a rather lazy and dangerously generalized comment, probably with an eye to endear his music more to the classic rock audience, which supposedly hates prog.

My whole collection consists of prog bands who started in the 60's or 70s so I'm obviously in the right place. But what I love about prog is the composition and I'd never replace composition with experimenting unless I ran out of composition ideas Big smile

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 18:09
sound chaser and Gates doesn't put me to sleep---but TAAB is a great song to take a snooze to---I used to love it--but it's rambling and a tad boring for me today.

Posted By: June
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 19:04
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

I'm going for Tull. Listening to a whole Genesis album is grating to me.

This.

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: April 23 2011 at 05:20
What a weird thing to compare. Like asking who prefers fish to eggs.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 23 2011 at 06:59
^Caviar? Wink

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2011 at 07:02
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

It's a simple enough question. What do you prefer fish or eggs. It's answerable.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2011 at 07:13
i PREFER FISH WITH EGGS+ POTATOES  Big smile WHERE ARE THE POTATOES IN THIS POLL

Date Posted: April 23 2011 at 09:53

It's a simple enough question. What do you prefer fish or eggs. It's answerable.

As I'd say that I like both apples and oranges, but like apples more.  

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: April 23 2011 at 10:08
I'm not against comparisons, but in the case of these two, they are completely different kinds of bands. If for instance you compared Yes and Genesis, I could relate to the question. But Jethro and Genesis? No, not for me, I don't think they're comparable, there's no relation other than them both being rock groups. The question is simple enough if you don't need a rationale other than liking or disliking, preferring or not preferring. Apples and oranges relate to each other better than that - not like apples and coconuts for instance.

Date Posted: April 23 2011 at 10:11

I'm not against comparisons, but in the case of these two, they are completely different kinds of bands. If for instance you compared Yes and Genesis, I could relate to the question. But Jethro and Genesis? No, not for me, I don't think they're comparable, there's no relation other than them both being rock groups. The question is simple enough if you don't need a rationale other than liking or disliking, preferring or not preferring. Apples and oranges relate to each other better than that - not like apples and coconuts for instance.

I'd argue that if they were the same kind of band, it would be harder to establish points of difference where preferences diverge.  I cannot really say who of Zach Stevens and Russell Allen I like more because they are similar kind of singers with their strengths cancelling off but I definitely like Jeff Buckley more than either, a completely different kind of singer.   That both Genesis and JT are progressive rock bands which don't veer too much into freeform or atonality, but with divergent influences, makes them eminently comparable to me.  But to each his own. 

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: April 23 2011 at 10:20
There are a few similarities.  "A Passion Play" reminds me a bit of Genesis, due to the thematic material that Tull uses on that album.  They both had lead singers who also play the flute, and dressed in costumes.  They both refer to medieval lore in their lyrics, though Tull goes further with it.  Personally I favor Genesis, but comparing them does not seem like all that big a stretch to me.  In fact, I think that they are two Prog bands that are quite similar to one another.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk