Print Page | Close Window

Cathedral (the doom metal band)

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77432
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 15:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cathedral (the doom metal band)
Posted By: arcane-beautiful
Subject: Cathedral (the doom metal band)
Date Posted: April 11 2011 at 05:39
Lee Dorian once said that they were Punk Prog, and I know that sounds silly, but it's kind of true. Their doomy songs are very interesting, and their 26 minute epic The Garden really is astounding and breathtaking. Genre wise I'm not sure, but to be honest their more proggy than Blood Ceremony or My Dying Bride, who are on this site

Replies:
Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: April 11 2011 at 07:24

Black Sabbath is here, so it would not be shocking to have Cathedral on PA.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Date Posted: April 11 2011 at 11:09
Their way more prog than Sabbath, they do have a 26 minute folk, doom, punk prog epic

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: April 11 2011 at 11:16
Ι agree and I want to see them here.

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: April 11 2011 at 12:40
Relevant samples?

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: April 11 2011 at 16:47

Black Sabbath is here in Prog Related. Cathedral is not Prog related, neither are they Prog.

Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 03:29
I don't know, I mean My Dying Bride is on the site too, their just your common doom band, but Cathedral take doom, mix it with some punk elements, folky and PROG elements...I would You Tube the song The Garden, its 26 minutes long and is very diverse and full of dramatic twists and turns...it also has some of the greatest guitar riffs you will ever hear

Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 06:21

Other way round for me, Cathedral is a "common" Doom band. MDB has at least 3 Prog-Doom albums (from early 2000's) and had always been experimental anyways.

Unless Cathedral have changed their style drastically of course (haven't followed them after 96, only heard occasional songs)

Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 06:55
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Cathedral is not Prog related
1 of their members is prog-related Wink
Leo Smee cf http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4295" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4295

-------------

Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 08:24
HAHA...then technically they can be under Prog Related....got to love loop holes

Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 08:40

I don't think you'll get far with just one of the 7 criteria for prog-related being half-fulfilled Tongue

3. Members of important progressive rock bands

Chrome Hoof might just not really be that "important progressive rock band"

Seriously, let doom be doom. I had friends who would have killed you had you suggested Cathedral was prog back in the 90's. I might have too Evil Smile

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 08:44
Originally posted by arcane-beautiful arcane-beautiful wrote:

HAHA...then technically they can be under Prog Related....got to love loop holes
That's not a loophole and it would not gain them entry. (btw Lee Dorian sings on one track, and that isn't enough either).

-------------
What?

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 08:44

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 09:02

I don't think you'll get far with just one of the 7 criteria for prog-related being half-fulfilled Tongue

Seriously, let doom be doom. I had friends who would have killed you had you suggested Cathedral was prog back in the 90's. I might have too Evil Smile

I have a friend who is a metalhead, who hates prog and who would kill you if he knew that some of the bands he listens to are in ProgArchives database : Candiria, Dillinger Escape Plan, Meshuggah,Gojira, Death, Voivod, Neurosis, Isis, Earth,  Devin Townsend, Orphaned Land, Kylesa, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica.

-------------

Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 09:16
This is an excerpt from the Wicked World website where Dan Tobin is interviewing Lee Dorrian :
What about prog influences on Cathedral - with epic songs, fantastical lyrics, the painting of pictures via words, the imagination let free reign - do you see any comparisons between the Prog scene and the doom scene? Both have been viewed as equally unfashionable I think...
It’s a strange one for me with prog, because I’m really not a fan of Genesis, Yes, ELP etc. In fact, I grew up pretty much despising that boring old fart music that all the intellectual science freak kids at school used to get off on.
I do, however, totally dig a lot of the more obscure jazzy prog bands from the underground of that time. I especially have a soft spot for tripped out female singers of the 70’s such as Sonja Kristina from Curved Air, Linda Hoyle from Affinity & Jo Meek from Catapilla etc. There’s a strong sense of freedom in that kind of music, really free from restriction, so in that respect we are very much inspired by the music of that era.

-------------

Date Posted: April 12 2011 at 09:33
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

I have a friend who is a metalhead, who hates prog and who would kill you if he knew that some of the bands he listens to are in ProgArchives database : Candiria, Dillinger Escape Plan, Meshuggah,Gojira, Death, Voivod, Neurosis, Isis, Earth,  Devin Townsend, Orphaned Land, Kylesa, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica.

You urgently need to explain him what exp/post, tech/extreme and prog related are. Otherwise this will end in a massacre!
Now, Cathedral is not exp/post, nor tech/extreme and not Prog Related. So they could only be in the traditional Prog Metal sub. And that's what might be cause for killing.

EDIT, of course Cathedral are 70s inspired, but as you quoted, especially the non-prog part of the 70's.

Date Posted: April 13 2011 at 07:56
meh Fair do's

Posted By: tupan
Date Posted: April 13 2011 at 20:11
They are fans of Comus, don't know if this help...

-------------
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: April 14 2011 at 05:58
Why don't you guys go review Cathedral on MMA Wink

Date Posted: April 14 2011 at 11:16
I AM REVEWING THEM ON MMA...i need Progs approval haha...u's fathered me :D

Posted By: alienshore
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 15:35
any news from this suggestion ???

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 15:48
Yes, it can be locked anytime by admins Big smileEvil Smile (in all honesty, I would veto their addition)

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 16:28
Done
..and long overdue.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk