Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77686
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 08:41
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Emulating Classic Prog Is Not Prog
Posted By: Textbook
Subject: Emulating Classic Prog Is Not Prog
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 22:53
Listening to new albums by the likes of Phideaux and The Watch, I begin to wonder if this is even prog at all.

"Aah, but they sound just like classic prog acts such as Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull."

Exactly. They're imitating established successful formula. This is the opposite of prog.

To me prog is not a musical style, it is an attitude where new things are tried. Some of this "dad-rock prog" is about as progressive as Coldplay. Prog should threaten and challenge expectations. Some of the recent records receiving high praise here are as threatening and challenging as a cup of warm milk with some chocolate teddy bear biscuits on the side. They are comfy old pairs of slippers.

Note that I am not attacking Yes/Genesis etc. In their day, what they were doing was new/different and so they really are the genuine article. It's the people/bands who think that 40 years later it's acceptable, even praiseworthy, to be doing more or less the exact same thing, that I have a problem with. As I said in my Phideaux review, I understand wanting to make an album like the ones that inspired you but it's a lose/lose situation. If you fail, well you failed. And if you succeed, it's redundant because those albums already exist.

"Gosh I hate all this pop music, all predictably following established patterns in the pursuit of the success of others. Anyway, check out this new prog band, they're great, they capture the spirit of classic Yes to a tee." Ooh look it's got a 20 minute song with old fashioned key boards and mystical lyrics and silly time changes and it doesn't take me out of my little comfort zone, five stars. This is flagrantly sad/embarrassing nostalgia and it's super-unprogressive.

I'm not the biggest Kayo Dot fan but they are an example of a band who is prog precisely because I *don't* hear echoes of Genesis and Yes et al. They are doing their own thing. Or someone like Opeth, chiefly responsible for bringing what had a been a largely ostracised genre (death metal) in from the cold. Doing something new.

How does a site dedicated to musical adventurousness and experimentation lavish such praise on those who coast on the glories of others? And at the same time, if you suggest something genuinely new, like a prog album which contains drum and bass or rap or country-western themes, many will react with revulsion and disgust.

I think a lot of people here like the idea of being prog, rather than actually being prog.

Replies:
Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 22:56
I actually feel the same way. After all, the making new, previously undone, "progressive" music that kept developing over album releases was the definition and purpose of early King Crimson, I believe.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 22:57
Also, I've been looking for progressive rap krautrock, but have had no luck thus far.

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 22:57
Gotta say, I kind of expected this would be a newbie who had the Final Ultimate Totally For Serious Now Definition of Prog all figured out.

I'm ever more perplexed now.

We've flogged this horse so much all zebras now walk with a limp.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 22:58
Everyone has different ideas of prog. In the end it's all just music and a lot of people listen to it to enjoy it. Maybe it takes a bit more to entertain their brain than the casual radio listener but that doesn't mean by extension that they have heard everything that came before and are listening to it checking if it is brand new.

I don't listen to The Watch but I do listen to Phideaux, and I listen to it for different reasons than I listen to Yes or Genesis. Yeah, it has a lot of symphonic-ness going on, but it is utilised in different ways than either of those bands. One of the biggest features of the band for me are the vocals, I love both the gorgeous female vocals and Phideaux's unique voice. The music is consistently enchanting, the melodies nice. But that's just my opinion.

I think that prog suffers from the genre name. One the one hand, people come to it because some of the music was literally progressive. Fair. But that's true for a lot of genres, that at some time or another were doing things that were brand new. Then people started to work within the frameworks of what they thought worked or didn't work from these original ideas, fleshing it out, adding new things, doing their own take of it. But because prog is called "progressive" rock, bands that don't take this approach will always be taken down by those drawn to it because of the "progressiveness" of the music as opposed to just liking the sound. But both camps are right, because in the end music is a personal experience whose value comes from our own response to it.

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:00
Adventurousness and experimentation, you say?  RIO/Avant, I say. Tongue

I agree in a way that some of the bands you mentioned aren't quite as progressive as the originals, but I don't dislike them because of that.  Some of them I dislike because of the music, others I enjoy because I enjoy the style presented by those "original" bands.  I prefer the groups who lean more towards the jazz/chamber/improvisational side of things (as I said earlier, RIO/Avant), because a lot of what they do does sound less derivative, not to mention less like anything else around. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:02
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Also, I've been looking for progressive rap krautrock, but have had no luck thus far.

Have you heard Faust vs. Dalek?

Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:05
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Have you heard Faust vs. Dalek?

Nope! But you've got my hopes up. I'm looking it up right now.

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:11
For me prog is that kind of music that I take few seconds to say "I like it". So Phideaux are prog and Coldplay are not.
I don't have a definition it's all at sensation's level.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:20
What, then, would be the next "progressive" movement in music? I can't think of any more twists that modern music could possibly take. It seems like everything has been done.

I think the next progressive step would have to be an extreme regression, kind of a refreshed vision of past music. Maybe a resurgence in baroque or renaissance style music?

-------------

Posted By: madmike
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:25
All I can say is if you think Phideaux is a simple rehashing of 70s symphonic prog then you probably can't be helped.

I agree with the general premise, but there's a difference between being a revivalist and an emulator.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:35
I always go back to John Wetton's thoughts on the topic:

AL: It's hard to have a prog context at hand, when you write a song on your own, anyway...

JW: Yes, exactly so. Prog stuff tends to happen in the rehearsal room. You get a drummer and a keyboard player involved, and they start extemporising on themes. I mean, I think that prog probably came about somewhere where American jazz and blues hit European classical music. I think that's how prog was born. The father was European classical music, and the mother was American blues, and the offspring was something we call progressive music. I don't think as a generic term it works anymore. Because it's not progressive, in fact it's more regressive.

AL: It promised too much, I think...

JW: It promised too much, yeah. And also, now it's back to everyone... Everyone who wants to be progressive, in inverted comas, want to use mellotrons, Marshall amps and Rickenbacker basses, you know, it's all back to 1973, which is hardly progressive. So it's very much regressive. But it seems that progressive has become a generic term for a style of music which involves time changes, classical moods...

AL: Sophisticated rock, in a way...

JW: Yeah. I don't mind, I like sophisticated rock, you know, I like the fact that people can play their instruments. But to me, I think that music must change, it always has to change. We can't stand and try to turn the tide back, it must change. And you have to go with that, otherwise you're drowned. 

http://www.elephant-talk.com/wiki/Interview_with_John_Wetton_in_Big_Bang_Magazine" rel="nofollow - http://www.elephant-talk.com/wiki/Interview_with_John_Wetton_in_Big_Bang_Magazine

...I'd like to see some newer technologies like Auto-Tune being used in a prog music format!  Could be pretty radical! I don't think I've heard any of that yet.  

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:36
The problem isn't the music, it's the label. Also, you guys are thinking progressive in the most literal sense which is ok. This is why I don't like the term progressive rock.  I like bands that have a certain sound that don't necessarily bring anything new to the table but I agree it's not progressive in the truest sense of the word.

What I don't understand then is the term proto prog. People often say that King Crimson's first album was the first true progressive rock album. Clearly there were progressive rock albums before it such as DOFP which was very progressive for it's time. It all gets a bit confusing. Prog rock vs progressive rock vs prog. Some people even use the big P prog and the little p prog.

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 00:07

You have to distinguish the meaning of the word 'progressive' from the name 'Progressive'.
As a name it describes a type of music, which has hardly anything to do with the word itself (any more), and which, if taken synonymously with 'innovative', evidently doesn't apply here.
If you consciously differentiate here, you won't run into your problem.

It's a bit like 'New Wave' not being all that new any more.

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 00:17
There's nothing worse than a johnny-come-lately living off ideas/structures/tones from decades past. Unfortunately, this is the accursed mark of the modern age. The only reasonable thing we can do is to not grant these thieves  attention or money; starve them out and continue to the real innovators from the now-gone Golden Age!

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 00:32
I think "modern", original prog is found most often in bands with indie influence.  A lot of the crossover prog like Radiohead, Pineapple Thief, or heavier progressive rock like Porcupine Tree seem to stay away from the cliches, but on the other hand, a lot of symphonic prog has more direct influence from Yes, Genesis, etc.  Not that it's always bad to follow the footsteps of the classic bands, Transatlantic for example, but it still is a problem when some bands offer nothing new.  From  a different point of view, sometimes I'll take a break from symphonic prog or prog in general and listen to other genres then return to it and find it less redundant.  I'd say though that the modern prog that has progressed as a whole is a tighter, less sprawling one. 

Posted By: ProgressiveAttic
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 00:36
I have somewhat of a classification for these "emulating" artists:

*Some groups start where the classic prog groups left off during the late 70s and then progress from there (sort of a "what if?" situation)...examples? Anglagard, Echolyn, Wobbler, Beardfish

*Others just try to sound like their favorite bands but making something completely new (sort of "what if Gabriel never left Genesis") and I still consider them to be slightly progressive because they try to take off where these bands they are trying to emulate ended their careers (and they don't try to repeat "Selling England by the Pound")... examples: Glass Hammer, The Flower Kings.

*There are some that trying to be different just take pieces of inspiration from 70s groups and glue them together. Examples: Phideaux, Manning.

*Others just take the sound of the classics and blends it with other genres, mainly pop and world music. This makes them more original, some more than others but still original. Examples: Mars Hollow, Lunatic Soul, MoeTar.

*At the end we have others that are what I would call "regressive": they want to re-do "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" or "Close to the Edge"... or worse, they want to simplify them. This ends with mixed results but most of the time we have bands that can't measure up to the standard of the groups they want to emulate or the music is too dull (at least for me). Examples: I would say most Neo-Prog (especially Marillion).

There are works from every one of these points that I enjoy and others that I don't... but, for me, the music that comes from the last classification is the most likely to be dull (I do like Marillion's Script for a Jester's Tear and some of Quidam's output, for example)....

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 01:00
Who gives a stuff what label you put on it as long as you enjoy it.
I've no idea what is 'progressive' anyway. It was originally used to describe a general feeling that many bands were breaking away from the shackles of the normal conventions in rock music.They introduced new ideas into the mainstream and did in affect create a new style of music. That style still exists and for convenience be called prog.Conferring progressiveness on any band is tricky though. According to Ian Anderson Aqualung is progressive while Thick As A Brick is ''prog''. He makes a clear distinction between these two things. One is about advancing and exploring new ideas. One is the stylised finished product. For many bands 'progressive rock' ended about 1971 and gave way to a stylistic approach that was recognisable. If you can recognise and label it too easily then its probably not progressive!

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 01:40
For most of us progressive rock is perceived as being a mind-set, for the rest of the world it's a genre in which bands mentioned fit perfectly. This is no debate, this is a linguistical problem.

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 07:07
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Gotta say, I kind of expected this would be a newbie who had the Final Ultimate Totally For Serious Now Definition of Prog all figured out.

LOL

IMO It's prog and progressive alright, but low in the creative aspect.

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 07:10
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Who gives a stuff what label you put on it as long as you enjoy it.

Protip: he isn't enjoying it at all. LOL

BTW I think emulation isn't bad at all in itself. It's doing it without wanting to "rewrite" it according to your contemporary mindset that's bad. I mean, Flaming Lips are emulating late 60s / early 70s Pink Floyd as obviously as possible, and the results are wonderful and not regressive at all.

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 07:16
Oh what a fun new debate. Sleepy

Seriously though retro prog has it's merits and can be very good, Anglagard did very well with it. But it's very often extremely tedious and boring. 
like the earliest neo-prog albums do very little for me some of the retro prog bands do even less.

-------------

Posted By: Nathaniel607
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 07:42
I don't get it. This just seems stupid to me. You guys must be hearing something I'm not. 

Everyone on this website seems to think everyone's copying off of someone. Just because it has similar texture or instruments or whatever. Yeah, it may use similar instrumentation, or structures, but it doesn't matter. Because the composition is different. Just cause they have a similar style, doesn't mean they are THE SAME. The same can be said about any genre - jazz, for example, has a pretty set-in-stone set of instruments that can be used, but there's still a lot of groups that manage to sound different from each other. 

I just don't get this argument... it just seems that people are trying to invent more ways to praise "The Golden Age Masters" even more than they already are.   

People seem to need everything to sound completely innovative, but forget that there can be more subtle innovations. Interesting chord structures, riffs, texture etcetera. Of course, it's nice to here something that sounds completely new, and that can be found as well.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Nathaniel607" rel="nofollow - My Last FM Profile

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 07:59
The formula for great prog is simple---amazing musicians with big egos who are students of great musical influences which are not rock influences. So the more you have guys growing up listening to prog and making that their main influence the weaker the music. This is certainly true of Yes --the best Yes is 5 strong musicians---the more you move away from that templet the weaker the group. Allowing fan boys in the band always made second rate music. The key is the line-up. So I agree with Textook---when people tell me to listen to so and so because they "sound just like Yes" ---I'm like--NO they don't.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 08:52
@ Textbook   Ying Yang

so what doo you actualy think of the trancition of the aucustic and more folksy, dark and serching Genesis (Tresspass - Nurcery Cryme - Foxtrot) classic prog - including some pop, but still use of twelve stringguitar  and mellotron (Selling England by the Poumd - the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway) the trancition albums, more heavy guitar useage, influences form more oriental sounds/chord sequnces, more melodic/melancholic (A Tirck to Tail - Wind and Wuthering - And Then They Were Three) start to use Polysynth, pushing newer drum loop technology, lee to no at aucustic instruments, zero mellotron, more minimalistic (Duke -  Abacab - Genesis - invicible Touch).

is it becous the last four albums lack aucustic folk passages and dark passages, makes them less classic prog,  but to me Genesis were still progressive in style, by daring to use newer more futuristic instruments and recording technics (like Headless guitars, samplers, synthesisers/ARP)  80s gensis is very futuristic and minimalistic (Mama - Home by the Sea/second Home by the sea, almoust industrial)

Ying Yang

-------------

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 08:59
Originally posted by Nathaniel607 Nathaniel607 wrote:

I don't get it. This just seems stupid to me. You guys must be hearing something I'm not.

Or maybe something you refuse to believe that exists just because you love that kind of music.

Everyone on this website seems to think everyone's copying off of someone. Just because it has similar texture or instruments or whatever. Yeah, it may use similar instrumentation, or structures, but it doesn't matter. Because the composition is different. Just cause they have a similar style, doesn't mean they are THE SAME. The same can be said about any genre - jazz, for example, has a pretty set-in-stone set of instruments that can be used, but there's still a lot of groups that manage to sound different from each other.

Of course they don't sound EXACTLY like each other. Neo-prog and retro-prog bands may not copy "The Golden Age Masters" to perfection (though I've heard a lot of these bands - like The Flower Kings - inserting snippets of 70's prog riffs and such in their songs, but the sound is pretty f**king similar and they show a clear lack of creativity and innovation.

I just don't get this argument... it just seems that people are trying to invent more ways to praise "The Golden Age Masters" even more than they already are.   

People seem to need everything to sound completely innovative, but forget that there can be more subtle innovations. Interesting chord structures, riffs, texture etcetera. Of course, it's nice to here something that sounds completely new, and that can be found as well.

A song with the Yes sound, Marillion-like arrangements and Steve Hogarth-ish vocals with "interesting chord structures, riffs, texture" won't sound innovative at all to me. 

You know what sucks? Old music with "subtle innovations".

-------------

Posted By: Lozlan
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 09:24
This is the problem with genre over-specification. What exactly is progressive rock? Since joining PA, I've seen people pull out their hair and gnash their teeth at the inclusion of artists not commonly considered prog (Bjork, anyone?), but who are completely uncompromising innovators. At the end of the day, genre delineation serves two primary purposes. A: it helps people establish musical identities and directs them to similar music in the vein of their current beloveds, and B: it serves as a means of keeping out undesirables. Unfortunately this latter purpose often marginalizes other varieties of music (a la rap, pop etc.) and significantly narrows the perspectives of people who are unwilling to stray outside of established comfort zones. Thus prog has ceased being an actual description of progressively-minded music. Retro prog emulates and pays tribute without ever being detrimental to the progressive label, simply because the age of progressive rock being at the forefront of the popular musical imagination is long since faded. We are all like-minded freaks who pay tribute to a genre of music that is often derided in the music press, a genre that is popularly dismissed, a genre that will probably never again bestride the world like a colossus in 5/4 time. There is still work to be done, of course, but at the end of the evening 'progressive rock' is merely a label. Apply it however you wish, but don't suffer under the misapprehension that genre delineation is somehow monolithic and sacrosanct.

-------------
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

http://scottjcouturier.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle

Posted By: altaeria
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 11:55
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

This is the problem with genre over-specification ...
the misapprehension that genre delineation is somehow monolithic and sacrosanct.

I think I heard somewhere that  there's a band called "Sacrosanct"
who just happens to sound exactly like Gabriel-era Genesis!

Go figure. Wink

Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 12:19
Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

Or maybe something you refuse to believe that exists just because you love that kind of music.

No. Just no. 

Of course they don't sound EXACTLY like each other. Neo-prog and retro-prog bands may not copy "The Golden Age Masters" to perfection (though I've heard a lot of these bands - like The Flower Kings - inserting snippets of 70's prog riffs and such in their songs, but the sound is pretty f**king similar and they show a clear lack of creativity and innovation.

There are only so many notes, you know? Only so many chords. 12 Major, 12 Minor, and about 100 variations (but usually, they don't sound too different). You're going to hear similar riffs if you listen. Or maybe it's deliberately quoted. Either way, that's fine.

A song with the Yes sound, Marillion-like arrangements and Steve Hogarth-ish vocals with "interesting chord structures, riffs, texture" won't sound innovative at all to me. 

That would probably sound quite innovative. Considering that pretty much every basic musical device has been used, the only way to create something truly new is to combine them in interesting ways, with interesting composition. Even Avante-Gard bands are usually using previously done stuff. Chromatic, deliberate dissonance, random notes, strange dynamics. It's all been done before in some caliber. 

It's not old music if it's a completely different composition. It's new music with a style similar to old music.

If you think it's possible to create something truly innovative without using any of the devices I, or you have said, try (to compose it or to find it). So, you're not allowed any previously used note sequence (good luck with that), chord sequences. Your vocals aren't allowed to be similar to anyone else's. It's got to have completely new textures. No previously used arrangement styles. I'd like to hear it.

Well, actually, I wouldn't because it would probably sound like sh*t. 

Also, I'm judging by your avatar that you're a John Zorn fan. Even he wasn't truly innovative by your standards, as all he did was combine two previously used things - free jazz and hardcore punk.

-------------

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 12:33
This is the point I always tried to make to people.  Being progressive vs fulfilling prog cliché's.

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 12:36
I get the point, but if something sounds prog is prog for me. In the 80s a lot of Genesis fans were resistant against Marillion who were intended as clones. Can you say that they are not prog because they sounded too sinilar to Genesis? Does it mean that neo-prog is not a prog subgenre? 
I don't think that originality is always a must. If so, nobody would be playing blues or jazz today.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 13:01
I am largely in agreement with the OP.  I only got into prog because it was innovative.  I respect that people eventually start liking the classic prog STYLE and enjoy that in a 'contemporary' band.  But if you're like me and not satisfied with only the sound of the music, you'd run out of patience with that approach, especially given the length of most prog compositions and their more deliberate construction.  Which brings me to blues/jazz. Personally, I enjoy the PERFORMANCE of a blues/jazz track in the live setting because it affords some scope for the musicians to express themselves (in other words, originality or uniqueness) but I really do not find much to interest me in a recently recorded studio blues album (or 'traditional' jazz for that matter).   

As for prog as genre v/s prog as approach, the former simply does not make sense as an idea at any level to me because a rock-based genre necessarily has to have some sound. A sound means boundaries, by implication, and prog cannot have boundaries. It is supposed to evolve, change, 'progress'.  Of course, it's impossible, practically, to run a forum on prog music without some identification of prog characteristics as a genre but I personally only loved and love the approach, not so much the sounds. The same sounds that Genesis used would sound boring to me if the music composition was predictable and stale.  And the problem is not only with quoting music written by Genesis or KC. Some of these bands don't even attempt to create an original context within which to quote the masters, it's all designed to evoke the prog 'flavour'. Flavour, what flavour?

Oh, lastly, Kayo Dot isn't, imo, the best thing since sliced bread yet to me and there's ample RIO/Zeuhl that's hardly all that progressive, my favourite example being the Dun album Eros. 

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 13:09

There are only so many notes, you know? Only so many chords. 12 Major, 12 Minor, and about 100 variations (but usually, they don't sound too different). You're going to hear similar riffs if you listen. Or maybe it's deliberately quoted. Either way, that's fine.

But there are different chord progressions, instruments, microtonal scales and a lot more stuff out there. Bands don't need to stick to Western music principles when trying to innovate.

It's not old music if it's a completely different composition. It's new music with a style similar to old music.

If you think it's possible to create something truly innovative without using any of the devices I, or you have said, try (to compose it or to find it). So, you're not allowed any previously used note sequence (good luck with that), chord sequences. Your vocals aren't allowed to be similar to anyone else's. It's got to have completely new textures. No previously used arrangement styles. I'd like to hear it.

Well, actually, I wouldn't because it would probably sound like sh*t.

Being 100% original is impossible. What I don't agree with is deliberately copying a formula, changing it slightly and then call the final product "innovative".

Ever heard this little band called Kayo Dot? Not perfectly original, but it's pretty distinct and doesn't sound like sh*t to me.

Also, I'm judging by your avatar that you're a John Zorn fan. Even he wasn't truly innovative by your standards, as all he did was combine two previously used things - free jazz and hardcore punk.

I'm pretty sure no one combined these genres before Zorn.

Stab me in the face with a soldering iron if Naked City isn't innovative.

-------------

Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 13:30

But there are different chord progressions, instruments, microtonal scales and a lot more stuff out there. Bands don't need to stick to Western music principles when trying to innovate.

Okay, microtonal scales. Yeah, they exist, but I've never heard them used well. Some eastern stuff with quarter note changes can sound good, but generally, stuff using the 24-note scale just sounds dumb to me. There's an example (for me, at least) of innovation does not equal good. You could take this to the nth degree and use a 252-note scale but it would just sound like a bunch of pretentious w**k. 

Being 100% original is impossible. What I don't agree with is deliberately copying a formula, changing it slightly and then call the final product "innovative".

Ever heard this little band called Kayo Dot? Not perfectly original, but it's pretty distinct and doesn't sound like sh*t to me.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm saying. The only (fairly big) difference is what I consider "distinct".

I'm pretty sure no one combined these genres before Zorn.

Stab me in the face with a soldering iron if Naked City isn't innovative.

Yeah, I wasn't saying this. Naked City is incredibly innovative and I've never heard anyone fusing these two genres before that. All I was pointing out is that you were saying "x combined with y combined with z won't sound innovative to me" yet a lot of good musical innovations came from combing things. And usually it's quite subtle. Even Naked City doesn't sound too different from plain old hardcore punk (just with a screeching saxophone as well). And of course new compositions but too a point, it's using the aesthetic of hardcore punk. (doesn't really apply as much to the covers...)

-------------

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 17:47

This is the problem with genre over-specification. What exactly is progressive rock? Since joining PA, I've seen people pull out their hair and gnash their teeth at the inclusion of artists not commonly considered prog (Bjork, anyone?), but who are completely uncompromising innovators. At the end of the day, genre delineation serves two primary purposes. A: it helps people establish musical identities and directs them to similar music in the vein of their current beloveds, and B: it serves as a means of keeping out undesirables. Unfortunately this latter purpose often marginalizes other varieties of music (a la rap, pop etc.) and significantly narrows the perspectives of people who are unwilling to stray outside of established comfort zones. Thus prog has ceased being an actual description of progressively-minded music. Retro prog emulates and pays tribute without ever being detrimental to the progressive label, simply because the age of progressive rock being at the forefront of the popular musical imagination is long since faded. We are all like-minded freaks who pay tribute to a genre of music that is often derided in the music press, a genre that is popularly dismissed, a genre that will probably never again bestride the world like a colossus in 5/4 time. There is still work to be done, of course, but at the end of the evening 'progressive rock' is merely a label. Apply it however you wish, but don't suffer under the misapprehension that genre delineation is somehow monolithic and sacrosanct.

THIS!   Well said.

Additionally, I'd ask the question-don't we listen to music that makes us happy, or that in some way moves us and makes us want to listen to more of it? That doesn't mean it has to sound exactly like something else, but that it will have characteristics that the listener truly enjoys. For example: I love Gabriel era Genesis. Does that mean I shouldn't like or deride an album like Big Big Trains The Underfall Yard because it sounds a lot like classic era Genesis? NO! It is influenced by that era, but it isn't the same. There are examples like this in all genres and sub-genres. The only thing that should be important is whether or not the listener  enjoys and wants to hear more music that is similar. To paraphrase Rick Pitino (I know-a sports reference!!!!! Shocked ) "The classic prog era isn't walking through that door!" It's passed and we need to find what we enjoy and listen to it.

Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 18:08
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

THIS!   Well said.

Additionally, I'd ask the question-don't we listen to music that makes us happy, or that in some way moves us and makes us want to listen to more of it? That doesn't mean it has to sound exactly like something else, but that it will have characteristics that the listener truly enjoys. For example: I love Gabriel era Genesis. Does that mean I shouldn't like or deride an album like Big Big Trains The Underfall Yard because it sounds a lot like classic era Genesis? NO! It is influenced by that era, but it isn't the same. There are examples like this in all genres and sub-genres. The only thing that should be important is whether or not the listener  enjoys and wants to hear more music that is similar. To paraphrase Rick Pitino (I know-a sports reference!!!!! Shocked ) "The classic prog era isn't walking through that door!" It's passed and we need to find what we enjoy and listen to it.

Not sure I entirely understand this. Are you saying we shouldn't like a genre because it is generally derided? But so is everything except rap and pop! (or are you saying that is how the world thinks of us)

Also, I think you're talking it a bit far. I agree that people should try and expand  their horizons, but not at the expense of hearing beautiful music that isn't entirely original-sounding (I still consider it in actuality original, since the composition is original, like Big Big Train's Far Skies Deep Time).

There's a perfect medium. At one end, lies someone who listens to new music, but it may as well be the same, and at the other end, lies Walter. 

-------------

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 20:02

What, then, would be the next "progressive" movement in music? I can't think of any more twists that modern music could possibly take. It seems like everything has been done.

What? Tell me you're not serious, man.

Calypso with Tuvan throat singing? Synthpop djent? Avantgarde reggaeton? Acid polka?

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 20:42
I don't care if the music is innovative, or regressive, or retro, or whatever... I only care if I enjoy it or not. OK, if they use an old formula (or part of an old formula), but they do it well and the music is enjoyable, I don't really care... what's the use of the experimentation and innovation done in the past, if it can't be used again in the future? Also, I do believe the label "progressive" isn't the most apropriate... I like better the original label "art rock", it describes better what I like about prog (though the literal progressive elements within the music I do like too).

It's like Yes, when they released 90125, they did progress their music and put it into the then new era (80's), and there are lot's of prog fans who trashed them for doing that, and just about nobody from the site would say that 90125 is better than Close to the Edge.

Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 23:05
Colorofmoney91: You're setting yourself up for a fall saying things like that. Of course something's going to happen but what we won't know what it is until it does. You're like that guy who closed the patent office in the 1890s because everything had been invented.

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 23:29

All of this.

-------------

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 23:36
Understand that there's a difference between originality and creativity.

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 00:03

Okay, microtonal scales. Yeah, they exist, but I've never heard them used well. Some eastern stuff with quarter note changes can sound good, but generally, stuff using the 24-note scale just sounds dumb to me. There's an example (for me, at least) of innovation does not equal good. You could take this to the nth degree and use a 252-note scale but it would just sound like a bunch of pretentious w**k.  

I am not sure I understand this, it seems to read as if music outside the Western system is invalid. Have you actually heard music outside the Western music system, with an open minded perspective?  Are you aware that Indian music, for instance, is melodically and rhythmically more intricate than Western music? And are you aware that some artists have been able to blend both schools seamlessly?  So if I understand you correctly and you are dismissive of music outside the Western system, it seems perfectly plausible to me that your threshold of tolerance for more of the same would be high because your willingness to embrace something different is apparently not very high. 

Yeah, I wasn't saying this. Naked City is incredibly innovative and I've never heard anyone fusing these two genres before that. All I was pointing out is that you were saying "x combined with y combined with z won't sound innovative to me" yet a lot of good musical innovations came from combing things. And usually it's quite subtle. Even Naked City doesn't sound too different from plain old hardcore punk (just with a screeching saxophone as well). And of course new compositions but too a point, it's using the aesthetic of hardcore punk. (doesn't really apply as much to the covers...)

That's a reductive approach.  All combinations of X and Y aren't the same or equally innovative, if at all innovative.  A less out there 'sounding' example of Naked City-like innovation is Shakti.  Their blend of Western and Indian music was unprecedented then and not easily paralleled to date.  But, obviously, something that simply combines very obvious influences from Genesis and Yes is not innovation of a comparable degree at all, if at all it can be considered innovative.   

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 00:11
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

THIS!   Well said.

The question is less over what gives enjoyment to a listener and more over what is progressive.  The OP's ire is directed at holding up that which is extremely derivative of classic prog as progressive music and throwing a fit over controversial additions like Bjork and questioning whether they are prog.  I agree with the OP to the extent that it seems contradictory to question change and modern influences and insist on referencing old prog at any cost, which is effectively what such a stance tantamounts to.   One must also bear in mind here the many threads made over the prog listener's obvious superiority to those who listen to 'plebeian' music and the former's open mindedness towards  receiving adventurous music. So much for adventure! 

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 01:41
Emulating could be progressive... many (if not all) of the classic prog bands started as cover bands or emulating other groups (such as Yes playing Beatles covers).

It is practically impossible to start without emulating someone... trying to emulate Yes, for example, seems to be as good a starting point as any... now what's important is to see what the group does with that, if they progress or not (for example, I do consider Glass Hammer to be progressive with their new album "If" because, even-though they are not really groundbreaking, they took the Yes sound and made something completely new with it).

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 01:46
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

Emulating could be progressive... many (if not all) of the classic prog bands started as cover bands or emulating other groups (such as Yes playing Beatles covers).

Well, everything that the classic prog bands touched is not progressive either, especially some of their work from the 80s.  So, I would have to disagree with that. I would not consider Yes as progressive if they had stuck to tributing Paul Simon.  Similarly, Simon Dupree had to become Gentle Giant to be progressive.  This argument can be extended further that if Metallica had remained a Diamond Head and other NWOBHM tribute band, they would not be considered such an iconic metal band.  You are sort of saying that in your next para anyway, so I would stress that THAT part of it is more important. From a humble start, the band must progress to evolve their own vision of music.  It need not be radical and groundbreaking to be considered progressive, but it must have originality not only of sound but also of composition. As long as the singer doesn't try too hard to copy other singers, a band would have an at least remotely original SOUND but that's not enough. 

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:23
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Well, everything that the classic prog bands touched is not progressive either, especially some of their work from the 80s.  So, I would have to disagree with that. I would not consider Yes as progressive if they had stuck to tributing Paul Simon.  Similarly, Simon Dupree had to become Gentle Giant to be progressive.  This argument can be extended further that if Metallica had remained a Diamond Head and other NWOBHM tribute band, they would not be considered such an iconic metal band.  You are sort of saying that in your next para anyway, so I would stress that THAT part of it is more important. From a humble start, the band must progress to evolve their own vision of music.  It need not be radical and groundbreaking to be considered progressive, but it must have originality not only of sound but also of composition. As long as the singer doesn't try too hard to copy other singers, a band would have an at least remotely original SOUND but that's not enough. 

All I am saying is that everyone must start somewhere and in most cases is by emulating someone... Yes became the "prog Yes", for example, when they started to modify the Beatles tunes they covered, and starting from there they became the innovative prog rock act...

Most prog acts became so by emulating others and eventually trying to push the boundaries of what these artists did before them... and the same could happen with bands emulating the classic prog acts, imagine a band that tries to push the boundaries of what Yes, Genesis or King Crimson did...

-------------

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:26
A lot of artists are just writing what comes most naturally to them. Sometimes what comes naturally to them has some aesthetic similarities with other artists. This isn't always intentional or even desirable, it's just what happens.

What isn't progressive is denying an artist the progressive label based on aesthetic similarities alone.

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:33

Most prog acts became so by emulating others and eventually trying to push the boundaries of what these artists did before them... and the same could happen with bands emulating the classic prog acts, imagine a band that tries to push the boundaries of what Yes, Genesis or King Crimson did...

That would be a valid argument for a new band with one or two albums, not after they are several albums old. I have heard The Light, Snow and Kindness of Strangers, representing different stages of their career and I must say that as far as boundary pushing goes, it's pretty modest.  Though Spocks Beard are not who I'd call completely derivative.  

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:35
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

A lot of artists are just writing what comes most naturally to them. Sometimes what comes naturally to them has some aesthetic similarities with other artists. This isn't always intentional or even desirable, it's just what happens.

What isn't progressive is denying an artist the progressive label based on aesthetic similarities alone.

I don't think anybody is suggesting some aesthetic similarities would alone make a band not progressive.  It is very difficult to make music that does not bear some resemblance at least to something made before, even if the resemblance is not striking.  But there are bands whose identity derives entirely from those who came before.  Presto Ballet is one example I can immediately think of.  I do feel it is unfair to malign artists like Bjork for doing what we assumed prog artists were supposed to while a PB is accommodated purely for having the prog 'sound'.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:41

I agree especially with the bit I've highlighted. We just seem to bow down to Yes and Genesis with the idea that these bands achieved perfection and could not be improved upon. I don't follow that reasoning either. I've always enjoyed IQ more than Genesis because their music engages me on an emotional level even though its not innovative or even on as high a level from a technical viewpoint. There is just no accounting for tasteBig smile

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 03:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I agree especially with the bit I've highlighted. We just seem to bow down to Yes and Genesis with the idea that these bands achieved perfection and could not be improved upon. I don't follow that reasoning either. I've always enjoyed IQ more than Genesis because their music engages me on an emotional level even though its not innovative or even on as high a level from a technical viewpoint. There is just no accounting for tasteBig smile

I cannot really comment on IQ since I have heard only two albums of theirs, neither of which I thought as of comparable to Genesis.  But I don't see how that highlighted portion follows just because people criticize retro or neo prog.  I like OK Computer more than Dark Side. I like Flight of the Cosmic Hippo more than any Return to Forever album. Perhaps, some of us are a little more willing to embrace sounds and styles that don't reference back so obviously to classic prog?

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 04:11
To quote Steve Feigenbaum of Cuneiform Records:

"For me, Phideaux is releasing some of the currently best albums in the symphonic progressive vein."

I guess some of the participants in this debate will find him clueless about music when issuing such a statement, eh?

Tastes does differ and artists like The Watch and Phideaux aren't to everybody's taste for sure. But if you think so and want to flog a horse about it flog that horse, not the cat.

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 04:51
Well there is the example of say Coheed And Cambria and Rush. C&C frontman Claudio Sanchez was hugely disturbed and frustrated when interviewers/critics repeatedly stressed the huge influence of Rush on C&C, how Sanchez was clearly a huge Rush fan and even going so far as to call C&C a Rush soundalike or copy.

The thing was, Sanchez had never listened to Rush. He'd coincidentally arrived at a similar sound all on his own.

But let's get real, this is the exception, not the rule. I really don't think that's going on with most of the "let's pretend it's 1973" style prog here. These guys are consciously imitating something they'd wish they'd been a part of.

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 05:16
The Beatles were imitators. God knows Elvis was. The number of artists that has not been imitating something and have been true innovators can probably be counted on two hands. That's the reality of that particular case, if you want to get real.

Many artists have added their own small touches and nuances, which in return have been picked up by others, with a miniscule development gradually ongoing until someone manage to get a commercial break and will be hailed as innovators when incorporating many such features, their less known influences gradually discovered in retrospect at best.

Same goes for your much heralded examples of Kayo Dot and Opeth. With the difference that their main sources of inspiration are less well known than the ones of The Watch etc. and of a more recent date.

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 05:24
This "argument" began 30 years ago and still people regurgitate it like it means something. Progressive (n) and progressive (adj) can co-exist side by side without the Universe imploding in cosmic cataclysm. They are neither mutually inclusive nor mutually exclusive so an artist can be retrogressive and innovative in the same breath even if you don't like the resultant vector, it can and does exists and it always has, even back in the late 60s / early 70s with bands building on what went before... Proto-Prog bands were retrogressive and innovative, early Prog bands were retrogressive and innovative. (Innovative means 'renewal or improvement' Geek).

Neo Prog didn't exist in the late 70s / early 80s when the stalwarts of that "subgenre" began making music, it's a later invented "tag" - those bands were not emulating "the golden age" or being "retrogressive" (how could they? they were contemporaneous), they were continuing a "progression" that many of the more established bands had begun themselves in the mid 70s (Floyd in '73, Tull in '76, ELP in '76, Genesis in '76, Yes in '76, Gentle Giant in '77) - the only "crime" of the later bands was the relative ages of the band members who were too young to have recorded in the early 70s. And so it is with modern bands, regardless of whether they are Progressive (n) or progressive (adj).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 05:24
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

The Beatles were imitators. God knows Elvis was. The number of artists that has not been imitating something and have been true innovators can probably be counted on two hands. That's the reality of that particular case, if you want to get real.

Many artists have added their own small touches and nuances, which in return have been picked up by others, with a miniscule development gradually ongoing until someone manage to get a commercial break and will be hailed as innovators when incorporating many such features, their less known influences gradually discovered in retrospect at best.  

I am sorry but this is highly reductive.  There is simply no comparison between a Beatles and a Flower Kings and you know it.  That everybody incorporates influences from music of the past does not mean in all cases there is no innovation or innovation is of the same degree, so we must draw these lines of distinction.  And how many songs has Elvis written?

Same goes for your much heralded examples of Kayo Dot and Opeth. With the difference that their main sources of inspiration are less well known than the ones of The Watch etc. and of a more recent date.

Agree partially about KD and certainly about Opeth.  A lot of Opeth fans are either not into metal per se or generally hate extreme metal so they are not aware of how deeply influenced by extreme metal Opeth was and in particularly the melodic death doom scene of the early 90s.  Having said that, I still hear more originality in Opeth than a Presto Ballet, which is out and out homage.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 05:39
The best prog today is the prog which follows the original prog formula but the compositions and sound is all original. In other words, sounding like a unique 70s band. If you can compose great ideas then you are half way there. It's all about producing rock with compositions and musicanship with a jazz/classical method and using the right instruments. That's what they did in the 70s and if you can do it now you are still original as long as you can compose quality stuff and have taste in the right instruments. Bands can use all those instruments, but if you can't compose great stuff it will never sound that great. If you resort to composing songs which are based on other bands then you obviously aren't a great composer either because you have to copy others. i'll never bother with Opeth, Tool, Porcupine tree etc. A complete lack of jazz and classical ideas in their composition, a complete lack of hammond organ, rhodes piano etc, a complete lack of wind instrument and a over reliance on guitar. Not very interesting music most of the time

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 05:47
*Yawn*

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 06:22

I am not sure I understand this, it seems to read as if music outside the Western system is invalid. Have you actually heard music outside the Western music system, with an open minded perspective?  Are you aware that Indian music, for instance, is melodically and rhythmically more intricate than Western music? And are you aware that some artists have been able to blend both schools seamlessly?  So if I understand you correctly and you are dismissive of music outside the Western system, it seems perfectly plausible to me that your threshold of tolerance for more of the same would be high because your willingness to embrace something different is apparently not very high.

No, I'm not rejecting non-Western music. Though it is true that I am not massively familiar with the field, I was more criticizing what I've heard of contemporary uses of the 22-note scale. Harry Patch style things. What I've heard of that sounds horrid to me...

But things like Indian music don't really use the 22-note scale in the same way. Usually, they just use it to construct more convention 12 note scales, but with a couple of notes moved up or down a quarter tone. 

I would like to hear some great non-Western music if you have any in particular to recommend! 

That's a reductive approach.  All combinations of X and Y aren't the same or equally innovative, if at all innovative.  A less out there 'sounding' example of Naked City-like innovation is Shakti.  Their blend of Western and Indian music was unprecedented then and not easily paralleled to date.  But, obviously, something that simply combines very obvious influences from Genesis and Yes is not innovation of a comparable degree at all, if at all it can be considered innovative. 

I suppose. But combinations in that vein can sometimes make something that sounds new - not massively innovative, but still good. 

Also, yeah, I've heard Shakti and bands like that. Good stuff. 

Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Understand that there's a difference between originality and creativity.

Is there? What?

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 06:38
You know the albums/bands around here where people say in the reviews "This doesn't really sound like much else I've ever heard"?

(One example is Cardiacs and their monstrous Sing To God double album, where that remark or something like it becomes something of a catchphrase.)

When that happens, you're listening to progressive music.

If rattling off a list of established prog acts adequately conveys your impression of a band, you're listening to karaoke.

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 06:38

I would like to hear some great non-Western music if you have any in particular to recommend!  

As an Indian deeply interested in both Indian and Western music, fusion done right is something that really excites me.  Prasanna, the Indian guitarist, made a great album with Victor Wooten called Be The Change.  Some of the best I have heard in years. I would also suggest Ilayaraja's How To Name It, a brilliant fusion of Carnatic and Western classical music with nods to jazz/funk.  To me, the master of fusion. His film soundtracks are often superlative, but the language and rendering may be too much to handle first up for an unaccustomed listener so would recommend initiation through How To Name It, which is instrumental, barring some vocalised (sans words) sections. 

I suppose. But combinations in that vein can sometimes make something that sounds new - not massively innovative, but still good.  

Well, it is a matter of degree.  I personally do not find very obvious influences, even if from different bands, very interesting.  I think it is very important to disguise your influences since doing so is essentially to find a new context for it.  It may sound like nothing more than a sleight of hand when I put it down in words but it makes a hell lot of difference to my listening experience when the influences are well disguised and the final output sounds quite like nothing I've heard before, even if I am able to place its genre.   Cliche is probably the right word for what I've described as a problem here. Everything under the sun may have been done one way or the other but there are always different ways to do it and I like those bands who at least attempt to find their own way. I mentioned OK Computer earlier. That is actually an album with a lot of 70s influence but generally used in a refreshingly different way, resulting in a different and fresh experience.  I cannot really say that about whatever Flower Kings I've heard, more or less every songwriting choice is exactly the way I would have expected, predictable and derivative to the core.  I don't necessarily expect the next Can or Magma when the word progressive is used to describe a band, but stuff like Karnataka (of Rachel Cohen days and not the new album) I cannot honestly say is any more interesting than run of the mill mainstream pop/rock.    

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 07:02
Just because an artist makes music similar to "classic" prog doesn't make it not prog.  Of course I've probably repeated what has already been expressed by others in this thread already, so my opinion is not as good as theirs and not valid even though I may have expressed this opinion differently.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 07:06

As an Indian deeply interested in both Indian and Western music, fusion done right is something that really excites me.  Prasanna, the Indian guitarist, made a great album with Victor Wooten called Be The Change.  Some of the best I have heard in years. I would also suggest Ilayaraja's How To Name It, a brilliant fusion of Carnatic and Western classical music with nods to jazz/funk.  To me, the master of fusion. His film soundtracks are often superlative, but the language and rendering may be too much to handle first up for an unaccustomed listener so would recommend initiation through How To Name It, which is instrumental, barring some vocalised (sans words) sections.

Cool! I'll be sure to check these out!

Well, it is a matter of degree.  I personally do not find very obvious influences, even if from different bands, very interesting.  I think it is very important to disguise your influences since doing so is essentially to find a new context for it.  It may sound like nothing more than a sleight of hand when I put it down in words but it makes a hell lot of difference to my listening experience when the influences are well disguised and the final output sounds quite like nothing I've heard before, even if I am able to place its genre.   Cliche is probably the right word for what I've described as a problem here. Everything under the sun may have been done one way or the other but there are always different ways to do it and I like those bands who at least attempt to find their own way. I mentioned OK Computer earlier. That is actually an album with a lot of 70s influence but generally used in a refreshingly different way, resulting in a different and fresh experience.  I cannot really say that about whatever Flower Kings I've heard, more or less every songwriting choice is exactly the way I would have expected, predictable and derivative to the core.  I don't necessarily expect the next Can or Magma when the word progressive is used to describe a band, but stuff like Karnataka (of Rachel Cohen days and not the new album) I cannot honestly say is any more interesting than run of the mill mainstream pop/rock.

I guess this makes sense, but when I listen to the Flower Kings, I don't really hear cliches and can't predict the songwriting all that much. Just sounds good to me (well, except a lot of Flower King's songs are similar to other Flower King's songs...). Usually when I listen to bands, I don't hear much influence unless it's painfully obvious. It just kind of annoys me when people say Big Big Train are Genesis ripoffs (which I don't hear at all) or that (insert any progressive metal band here) are Dream Theater ripoffs.

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 07:12

I guess this makes sense, but when I listen to the Flower Kings, I don't really hear cliches and can't predict the songwriting all that much. Just sounds good to me (well, except a lot of Flower King's songs are similar to other Flower King's songs...). Usually when I listen to bands, I don't hear much influence unless it's painfully obvious. It just kind of annoys me when people say Big Big Train are Genesis ripoffs (which I don't hear at all) or that (insert any progressive metal band here) are Dream Theater ripoffs.

I have heard very little of Big Big Train. It didn't strike me as too much of a Genesis rip off (maybe I simply haven't heard those songs which do evoke Genesis a lot, I don't know) but remember that Marillion are often called Genesis rip offs when Rush and Pink Floyd were arguably more significant influences on their songwriting.  I think people tend to call anything with a lot of keyboard arpeggios Genesis ripoffs.   

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 07:14
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

You know the albums/bands around here where people say in the reviews "This doesn't really sound like much else I've ever heard"?

(One example is Cardiacs and their monstrous Sing To God double album, where that remark or something like it becomes something of a catchphrase.)

If rattling off a list of established prog acts adequately conveys your impression of a band, you're listening to karaoke.
C'mon, that would make any emergent style of music "progressive music"; that would make the first song of any music style "progressive music" and the second song "karaoke". You appear to have ruined you own argument for the sake of a cheap jibe.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 07:29
I thought we've been over the whole "progressive" vs. "prog rock" thing many times.  Apparently not.

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 07:32
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

C'mon, that would make any emergent style of music "progressive music"; that would make the first song of any music style "progressive music" and the second song "karaoke". You appear to have ruined you own argument for the sake of a cheap jibe.

I completely agree with Dean here. It appears some people think that "Prog Rock" is the one and only "home" of all innovative and progressive rock music.
It's just a style of music and that's it.
Lots of innovative rock music is not Prog at all, but listens to multiple names such as indie, new wave, techno, and so on and so on.
Just pick up a Wire magazine and you will be struck by the massive amounts of new music there that has nothing ado with Prog.

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 08:23
Dean: Well maybe I did go a bit too far but really I'm just being reactionary against what I see as a deeply entrenched fuddy duddy musical taste here, on a site that should by definition be anything but fuddy duddy.

PS Add Glenn Branca already.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 08:54
I think we all love music, we're adventurous listeners in that we love hearing and finding out about music that we had not heard or known of before. I doubt if any participant of this thread--or member of PA--listens to--and has listened to--only "prog." I love music by Telemann and Brahms, Newcleus and early Run-DMC, soul/R&B from the 1971-74, some Dwight Yoakum and Barbra Streisand, try to comprehend Astor Piazzollo and Django Reinhardt, enjoy all periods of Jane Siberry and kd lang, am blown away by Hans Zimmer soundtracks, love to try to keep up with Mickey Hart, John McLaughlin, Bill Bruford and now John Zorn and Tobey Driver, laugh at Cake and Primus, Zappa and Clutch. And I could go on and on and on--as most of us could.

I love music:  interesting, emotional, even challenging or "new" (to me) music. I think we all do here at PA. Most of all I think we all love to study, deconstruct, try to compare and contrast, assimilate and accommodate music. Especially with or through others. We're trying to share, as social beings we are, our personal experiences with the psycho-spiritual experience that music, rhythm and sound provide to we who are more sensitive or attuned to it. Maybe we're all wannabe musicologists. Maybe music is our mystical connection to our infinite spirits. "We are spirits in the material world." Maybe we're just addicts. Maybe we're just scared sh*tless of the real world and find escape and outlet of our angst through music. It's all good!

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 09:12

Dean: Well maybe I did go a bit too far but really I'm just being reactionary against what I see as a deeply entrenched fuddy duddy musical taste here, on a site that should by definition be anything but fuddy duddy.

have you any experience with the post punk/new wave/industrial metal/alternative metal/gothic punk band Killing Joke, they are a constanly changing band, and have some relation with New Zealand as well

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 09:55

I must move in different circles to you (hmmm, tries to avoid thinking "ever-decreasing"... and fails) for I don't see much in the way of fuddy duddy musical taste here when taking the membership as a whole and not concentrating on individuals, who in the main take no part in the additions process except to moan about it after the event. Then generalisations are tricky things because no matter how broad a brush you use to sweep them out of the way, there will always be a undercurrent of thought who believe they are part of some a silent majority who, if not exactly agreeing or disagreeing with any particular idea or ideology, at least support or reject that idea, regardless of how much of actual evidence there is. The simplest observation that we have more here than just the Big Seven, their derivatives and their imitators would suggest to me that the additions process at any rate is far from fuddy or duddy, which would imply that the musical tastes of those who suggested, evaluated, added and reviewed those non-derivative non-imitators was equally ill described. Even using your own example of the Cardiacs, this band was added six years ago in the "first-wave" of bands added to this site, indicating that 'the site' accepted the notion of progressive (adj) and Progressive (n) as two distinct and separate concepts from the get-go.

As to Glenn Branca, don't know the chap, but a quick cram using the idiot's guide to everything (Wikipedia) makes me think that perhaps avant garde isn't quite the same as Avant Prog in this instance. However, should you wish the ZART team to look into it, then perhaps an informative and knowledgeable thread in http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=1" rel="nofollow - Suggest New Bands And Artists would be something you could consider (already).

-------------
What?

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 10:00

There are only so many notes, you know? Only so many chords. 12 Major, 12 Minor, and about 100 variations (but usually, they don't sound too different). 

You obviously have no music theory background. There are thousands of chords.

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 10:10
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

There are only so many notes, you know? Only so many chords. 12 Major, 12 Minor, and about 100 variations (but usually, they don't sound too different). 

That is definitely not true, at least not in the Western diatonic tradition. There are thousands of ways to voice chords, depending on the range of the instrument, but even allowing for extended harmonies (which are only really I chords imposed with vii chords or ii chords and so on, you're still drawing from the same set of notes, just at different times. Ok, so you can just stack notes around for the sake of making really obscure chords, but these will not be very musically useful--not in the way out ears prefer at least. Same with micro-tonal music.

The best way to be useful in Western music is to make a good melody or delve deep into interesting timbres (re: synthesis and experimenting with various combinations of ethnic instruments). Even if most interesting combinations of chords and progressions have been done already (protip: they have), it's the style in which they're used and the timbres they employ that make it unique.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 10:13

As to Glenn Branca, don't know the chap, but a quick cram using the idiot's guide to everything (Wikipedia) makes me think that perhaps avant garde isn't quite the same as Avant Prog in this instance. However, should you wish the ZART team to look into it, then perhaps an informative and knowledgeable thread in http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=1" rel="nofollow - Suggest New Bands And Artists would be something you could consider (already).
Addendum: doing a bit more research, apparently Glenn Branca has been approved by Philippe for Krautrock (don't ask - it's too complicated). If you feel up to writing a biography I'm sure someone will add him.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Novak
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 10:19
So, if you walked into a pub and saw a band playing Genesis, Yes, Rush, Dream Theater, John Wetton, Avenged Sevenfold songs etc, you would walk out? Much rather find another band covering SEX ON FIRE and BORN TO BE WILD and some Bon Jovi eh? For me, such a band would be a breath of fresh air, but I don't suppose its a situation that I'm ever likely to stuble on.

Whatever happened to putting a record on and saying you like it?

Also, I would personally put COLDPLAY in as a prog' band as their music 'progresses'. Not all of their stuff, but the last two albums deffo' show signs of arrangements that would st alongsdie those of PINK FLOYD, GENESIS, RADIUOHEAD, DREAM THEATER. Prog' rock doesn't have to expand the envelope of what a category contains as far as I'm comcerned. It simply progresses within itself. The tune, the arrangement, whatever. YES is still progressive because that is what the music does. It isn't required that different styles be mashed together to create something 'new' for it to be prog' or anything else. Styles have been combines wholesale by musicians for as long as music has existed. Check out Haydn, Beethoven, Vivaldi. All great proggers!!!

A prog' category is there to simply help a person find music they might like. And the categories are getting stupid. There are about 45 or more 'metal' categories. I bet there are more for prog' though, just to prove it's a more 'serious' music form.

But then, you talk to the people that write this stuff and to them it's just music.  Their music. And often they hate being put in a box, whether it's marked PROG or not. And you tell a muso his or her music is irrelevent, then I suggest you better have yer Nike's on or at best be prepared to have the piss taken out of you wholesale. Unless of couse you can prove your credentials with an instrument. And if you can, well, you most likely won't be having that discussion because you will 'KNOW'.

All this remids me of the TUBES song 'I was a Punk before You were a PUNK'. Ah!! The TUBES. Wgat a great progressive band!!! One of the best prog' gigs I ever saw.

"..... I was a prog' before you were a prog!!! You don't beleive me? Then step outside and see me, baby!!!
I was a prog' before you were a prog'. You want some action? I'll put yer ass in traction!!!....."

Cheers, NOVAK Smile

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 10:31
I recall when the term "Progressive" was introduced, and it was used to described the music that went beyond the boundaries of its genre, bringing influences from other styles, and therefore, it was said the music had "Progressed"  beyond it boundaries. It was not intended to describe a "growth, development or innovation" as the world progressive would suggest. I guess, as many mentioned before, it's an inappropriate term to describe the music.
Ultimately, also as many mentioned before, it's about the music and your personal taste/preferences, so if you like it, who cares what name is given to it, either progressive, regressive or anything else?    

Posted By: QuestionableScum
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 10:34
The definition of prog being used in the OP is relatively misguided, because it simply equates prog rock with being progressive and innovative. But the simple fact of being rock band in some way is not the most innovative thing to do, given rock's development and relative dominance of popular music over the last 50-60 years.

The problem emerges if one considers the first two waves of Detroit Techno. There was some extraordinarily innovative music coming out of that scene at the time, but referring to it as progressive or including it on this site would be relatively silly, because what holds prog genres together is less an uncompromising attitude towards innovation, rather than a historical accident. Although I say this without denying that the music was certainly innovative. 

The genre of progressive rock as a category is a historical accident and thus it really cannot be reduced to being innovative or some other set of criteria, because what falls under the category generally shares certain characteristics. But there are nearly always exceptions. For instance, if rock instrumentation was viewed as central to prog rock, than progressive electronic would be contradicting. If prog is about innovation while then much Prog Metal, bands emulating classic prog, post rock, and neo-prog would contradict the criteria to be used. Thus the only thing that really holds prog rock together is that we use the term to refer to certain things, and we as prog rock fans understand what falls under that category.

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 10:49

That is definitely not true, at least not in the Western diatonic tradition. There are thousands of ways to voice chords, depending on the range of the instrument, but even allowing for extended harmonies (which are only really I chords imposed with vii chords or ii chords and so on, you're still drawing from the same set of notes, just at different times. Ok, so you can just stack notes around for the sake of making really obscure chords, but these will not be very musically useful--not in the way out ears prefer at least. Same with micro-tonal music.

The best way to be useful in Western music is to make a good melody or delve deep into interesting timbres (re: synthesis and experimenting with various combinations of ethnic instruments). Even if most interesting combinations of chords and progressions have been done already (protip: they have), it's the style in which they're used and the timbres they employ that make it unique.

So then hundreds Wink
Variations aside, there are still many more than just 24 chords. Consider,
12 major
12 minor
12 M7
12 m7
12 dom7
12 half dim7
12 dim7
12 M9
12 m9

and I could keep going, and going...

But yes, I admit thousands is a bit of an exaggeration for actual chords. But voicing, yes, there are thousands of variations!
And I completely agree about the timbre and tone of a progression that makes it unique.

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 11:04
Originally posted by Novak Novak wrote:

But then, you talk to the people that write this stuff and to them it's just music.  Their music. 

I don't believe this. I think there definitely are modern bands who want to be identified with the prog scene and have often tributed older bands on stage.  You don't have to ask me. Read the excerpts from that Wetton interview posted by cstack on the first page of this thread. The man speaks the truth and I really appreciate that he's politically incorrect and candid enough to do so.  If one starts to write music predominantly influenced by classic prog rock bands, it's already a sea change in approach from what classic prog was, even if the musician is not consciously trying to write prog as a genre.  Watered down, so to speak, for want of a better term.    

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 11:10

So then hundreds Wink
12 major
12 minor
12 M7
12 m7
12 dom7
12 half dim7
12 dim7
12 M9
12 m9

But yes, I admit thousands is a bit of an exaggeration for actual chords. But voicing, yes, there are thousands of variations!
And I completely agree about the timbre and tone of a progression that makes it unique.

I'm not well-versed in music theory.  Here's an interesting article, though, on the issue: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Many-Chords-Are-There,-Anyway?&id=59841" rel="nofollow - http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Many-Chords-Are-There,-Anyway?&id=59841

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 11:18
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

So then hundreds Wink
12 major
12 minor
12 M7
12 m7
12 dom7
12 half dim7
12 dim7
12 M9
12 m9

I'm not well-versed in music theory.  Here's an interesting article, though, on the issue: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Many-Chords-Are-There,-Anyway?&id=59841" rel="nofollow - http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Many-Chords-Are-There,-Anyway?&id=59841
Mathematically, if you stick to all the notes in the chord being in the same octave there are 479,001,600 possible note permutaions that can be played together, obviously extend that to include notes from other octaves and it gets even sillier. (and you may need to grow extra fingers to play them). How useful these chords are depends on what you are trying to achieve by using them and how harmonious or discordant you want them to be either in isolation or as part of a progression, in the main, the 60 or so "established" chords are the ones most frequently used because they are the most useful ... but this is Prog so there are no rules.

-------------
What?

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 11:32

Mathematically, if you stick to all the notes in the chord being in the same octave there are 479,001,600 possible note permutaions that can be played together, obviously extend that to include notes from other octaves and it gets even sillier. (and you may need to grow extra fingers to play them). How useful these chords are depends on what you are trying to achieve by using them and how harmonious or discordant you want them to be either in isolation or as part of a progression, in the main, the 60 or so "established" chords are the ones most frequently used because they are the most useful ... but this is Prog so there are no rules.

479001444. Geek

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 11:46
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

479001444. Geek
Okay, so I did a quick calc. Power chords count so 479,001,588 Tongue

-------------
What?

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 12:31
If you don't even know what is prog, please go away. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 12:37
All that also factors in that people would be playing thirds and seconds below tenor C, which no. Because very no. And that low with minor 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, and majors of the same....at once. That is called a wall of sh*t. Sure that's a chord, but no one except a troll would ever use it an call it musical.

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 18:07
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Cool no-BS layman's article. Thanks for posting that. Thumbs Up

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 18:27

So then hundreds Wink
12 major
12 minor
12 M7
12 m7
12 dom7
12 half dim7
12 dim7
12 M9
12 m9

Ermm

That's what I was talking about when I said "variations". The 7ths, 9ths, Sus, Sus4, 13ths, 14ths etcetera etcetera. But really, there are only the 24 core chords. The 7ths and such are certainly unique but if you where to change all the extended chords out for their non-extended equivalents, you'd still usually be able to recognize a chord sequence. 

I am not a massive expert on music theory, but I know the basics (just recently passed my grade 4). 

Ok, so you can just stack notes around for the sake of making really obscure chords, but these will not be very musically useful--not in the way out ears prefer at least. Same with micro-tonal music.

Yes, and this. Once you get past 9ths, they pretty much sound the same (though that's not to say they can't sound nice). 

And yes, dynamics, timbres, voicing and melodies all make a difference.

All that also factors in that people would be playing thirds and seconds below tenor C, which no. Because very no. And that low with minor 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, and majors of the same....at once. That is called a wall of sh*t. Sure that's a chord, but no one except a troll would ever use it an call it musical.

Yeah, they're just note clusters, which aren't really chords as such.

Reminds me of my GCSE music exam. You had to tell the difference between Classical, early Romantic, Late Romantic and 20th Century Classical. The only one that was easy was 20th Century because the rest would be what you normally consider classical and then BOOM. This happens;

(more like that)

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 18:38
Oh this people that can just sit and enjoy their damn music... No matter what chords are in...

-------------

Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 19:06
It's become just a genre name. All new sounding music is progressive. It's like saying all Garage rock has to be played in a garage.

Date Posted: April 22 2011 at 19:44
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

@ Textbook   Ying Yang

so what doo you actualy think of the trancition of the aucustic and more folksy, dark and serching Genesis (Tresspass - Nurcery Cryme - Foxtrot) classic prog - including some pop, but still use of twelve stringguitar  and mellotron (Selling England by the Poumd - the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway) the trancition albums, more heavy guitar useage, influences form more oriental sounds/chord sequnces, more melodic/melancholic (A Tirck to Tail - Wind and Wuthering - And Then They Were Three) start to use Polysynth, pushing newer drum loop technology, lee to no at aucustic instruments, zero mellotron, more minimalistic (Duke -  Abacab - Genesis - invicible Touch).

is it becous the last four albums lack aucustic folk passages and dark passages, makes them less classic prog,  but to me Genesis were still progressive in style, by daring to use newer more futuristic instruments and recording technics (like Headless guitars, samplers, synthesisers/ARP)  80s gensis is very futuristic and minimalistic (Mama - Home by the Sea/second Home by the sea, almoust industrial)

Ying Yang
bump

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2011 at 00:04
In my opinion all progressive rock (noun) is progressive (adjective) in some way... even Marillion's Misplaced Childhood (which I consider to be regressive in a way... check out my review) is IMO progressive in some ways...

Even the bands that just want to sound like the 70s prog classics are progressive because change is inherent to the prog sound of groups such as Yes and Genesis, so we always get something different since we have a particular mix of influences never seen before or we have a new angle to the particular style. For example, (I am simplifying things here) in early Marillion we have a combination of Genesis and Pink Floyd. It is always a new angle and sound, although maybe recognizable... they at the end are pushing the, in this case, symphonic prog sub-genre forward with a new palette of sounds and new perspectives to the sound, you don't need to revolutionize music to be progressive (if it were so Genesis' A Trick of the Tail, Yes' Going For the One, King Crimson's In the Wake of Poseidon, etc. couldn't be considered progressive rock because they didn't actually do something they haven't done before, besides writing new music that shows a different perspective of the style they previously developed)

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2011 at 00:35
^^^ But that necessarily supposes that anything with a prog rock sense of structure would throw up new ways of looking at old things, at the very least. What is progressive (adj) about Delicate Flame of Desire?  It is Floyd-tribute filtered through adult contemporary pop and has been done before too.  The only thing at all that may be novel about it is the presence of a female singer but that would be like saying the fact that Karen Carpenter could play drums made Carpenters progressive. If we adopt such a broad outlook of progressive (adj) that any remotely different aspect to the music makes it progressive, then even putting the chorus before the verse or writing a hard rock song without the obligatory face melting solo must be prog.  We have to draw the line somewhere.  I agree that Trick of the tail represents little more than expansion of Genesis's sound, but it's THEIR sound.  It was not some other band's sound they were tributing and in the process making some slightly different choices.  Sure, Trespass would not have happened without ITCOTCK,but Genesis, regardless, had their own sound, as distinct from any of KC's work.  I have no objection to calling some 70s albums derivative by the way. I mean, Bacamarte has some very obvious KC quotes for instance and is very modestly prog, at best.    

Posted By: Arbiter
Date Posted: April 24 2011 at 02:46
Progressive Rock (Prog) was simply a new form of Rock and Roll. Prog is defined by an (incredibly subjective) combination of styles, forms, genres, etc.  To progress, once again, beyond Prog to still another new form of Rock and Roll is inevitable, but that new musical form will not be Prog.

Most of the Jazz created through time pays some homage to "ground zero"  jazz and no-one seems to have a problem. Those who like Big Band Era music expect to hear a certain sound. Motown lovers don't want to hear 1960's Folk songs. You either like Country music or you don't.

I want Prog to sound like one of the many variations of the Prog Music that is featured and discussed in this site.  I might even like the next evolutionary step that comes in the evolution of Rock and Roll, but that will be something else (i.e., Rock and Roll evolved to Prog which evolves to ?).  It's okay for Prog music to sound like other prog music as long as it is original - it may be bad prog or it may be great prog, but Prog is just that - Prog.

I am only guessing of course, but it sounds to me that the member who started this thread is either tired of Prog and looking for his/her next musical style to love, or was never really a fan and can't understand that it is okay for all Prog to have something in common.

Long Live Progressive Music, especially that which has its roots in Rock and Roll.

-------------
"Some things have to be believed to be seen."
-Ralph Hodgson

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: April 24 2011 at 07:53
I don't care much for progressiveness per se, making innovative music does not necessarily result in good music, and actually in most cases it does not.
I very much prefer good retro-prog than innovative crap. But if it's innovative and I find it good, well that's great too.

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: April 24 2011 at 14:34
Even with all those chord choices, it also depends on what is being played over the chords. You could play minor stuff over major chords, or a lydian pattern over minor7 chords, or locrian scale over aug7 chords, or any combination of those. Then there are perhaps MILLIONS of different things you could play. And then what about the bass, maybe he's playing the root notes of the chord changes, or is sticking to the tonic while the chords change; there's sooo many possibilities

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: April 24 2011 at 16:19
It's quite simple, every time a song is recorded and released, the pool of musical possibilities has been drained slightly. Whether the style can be defined as "symphonic prog" or "RIO/avantgarde" or whatever else is irrelevant. People get caught up in these often arbitrary genre names too much.

The term "progressive" can be misleading because it doesn't necessarily mean "moving forward". Was Bob Dylan "progressive rock" when he was innovating in the folk rock field? Of course not. Prog is simply the term that has come to define an integration of popular and art music values. That's the best and most concise definition I can think of on short notice anyway.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: April 24 2011 at 16:35
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Even with all those chord choices, it also depends on what is being played over the chords. You could play minor stuff over major chords, or a lydian pattern over minor7 chords, or locrian scale over aug7 chords, or any combination of those. Then there are perhaps MILLIONS of different things you could play. And then what about the bass, maybe he's playing the root notes of the chord changes, or is sticking to the tonic while the chords change; there's sooo many possibilities

And then what about the bass, he MIGHT be playing all of the leads while the guitarist generates a wall of noise through a massive chain of rack effects!!  Meanwhile, the drummer, heavily influenced by Stewart Copeland, plays everything in front of him, including the drum rack piping!!  

That was the essence of my band "What They Say" in Tulsa, Oklahoma, about 1990.  Some of the best lead guitar I ever played was on the four-string bass guitar!  Pity we didn't keep it together, we never released any of it.  Best was a recording of a live show, but the tapes were ripped off/lost by the guitarist.  Pity that!

I've also written & played "classic" style symphonic prog, it's really a lot of fun!  I never claimed to be an innovator (unlike WTS, above), but it is a blast to pretend to be Chris Squire!!  

Good music is good music, period.  Someone once compared "modern" prog as sounding like music you might hear when entering a renaissance festival, and I agree completely.  

More fuzz tone!!

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: April 25 2011 at 11:58

This is bull****.  Elvis was in NO way an innovator.  He took generic rock and roll of the time and changed it in NO (i repeat NO) way and was only more popular because of the racism of the times.  Unless being a honkey is innovative, he did nothing.  

And these conversations about chords have been filled with some of the least accurate information I've ever heard.  Beware.  From the ridiculous claims to the people discrediting chords that are used ALL THE TIME in jazz.  Any jazz musician will tell you that there IS no worthless chord.  If the full diminished (A-C-Eb-Gb) works with the relative major (A#) droning under it, then theres no way any other chord is TOO dissonant (I'd think prog musicians would recognize the value dissonance.)  

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: QuestionableScum
Date Posted: April 25 2011 at 12:22
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

This is bull****.  Elvis was in NO way an innovator.  He took generic rock and roll of the time and changed it in NO (i repeat NO) way and was only more popular because of the racism of the times.  Unless being a honkey is innovative, he did nothing.  

And these conversations about chords have been filled with some of the least accurate information I've ever heard.  Beware.  From the ridiculous claims to the people discrediting chords that are used ALL THE TIME in jazz.  Any jazz musician will tell you that there IS no worthless chord.  If the full diminished (A-C-Eb-Gb) works with the relative major (A#) droning under it, then theres no way any other chord is TOO dissonant (I'd think prog musicians would recognize the value dissonance.) 

I am with you in general, and specifically with regard to the bolded. Clap

Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: April 25 2011 at 14:39
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

It's quite simple, every time a song is recorded and released, the pool of musical possibilities has been drained slightly. Whether the style can be defined as "symphonic prog" or "RIO/avantgarde" or whatever else is irrelevant. People get caught up in these often arbitrary genre names too much.

The term "progressive" can be misleading because it doesn't necessarily mean "moving forward". Was Bob Dylan "progressive rock" when he was innovating in the folk rock field? Of course not. Prog is simply the term that has come to define an integration of popular and art music values. That's the best and most concise definition I can think of on short notice anyway.
This is true

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk