Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77907
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 17:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mike Oldfield's Guitar Tone
Posted By: Epignosis
Subject: Mike Oldfield's Guitar Tone
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 17:58
Based on a discussion from another thread.  What do you think of Mike Oldfield's electric guitar tone?

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Replies:
Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:00
I refer you to previous comments

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:01
For the most part it's pretty terrible, especially in Tubular Bells.  I like his tone in this track, though.

Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:02
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I refer you to previous comments

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

It is amazing.Wink

I truly mean that. It's just one of the things i really like about him.

Smile

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Bantam19
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:07
I think it's for the most part pretty awful.  The tone of his electric at the climax of Ommadawn Part 1, for example, is basically the only thing detracting from an otherwise flawless track.

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:08
It's good!

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:12
Good enough

Never turned me off at least

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:19
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Good enough

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:19
Awful singer, dubious composer, horrible guitarist.

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 20:09
His tone is one that I might think is bad with another band, but in the context of his music it sounds great, nice and crunchy and... ringing. First option.

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 20:34
It's good, there are points when it seems a bit too annoying but not often. Those flaws are definitely found in Tubular Bells no doubt.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 21:24

I consider Mike Oldfield to be a mediocre guitarist.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 21:53
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Yeah, but what about his tone?  Wink  For me, I think it is a really good one that is unique and easily identifiable.  He's not the greatest of guitarists, sure, but nobody else sounds quite like him.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 22:03
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Yeah, but what about his tone?  Wink  For me, I think it is a really good one that is unique and easily identifiable.  He's not the greatest of guitarists, sure, but nobody else sounds quite like him.

Yes, he is a banal guitarist with excellent tone. Wink

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: April 29 2011 at 23:53
Great but not amazing, therefore good.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 02:39
"Good" seems the right qualification to me.

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 02:47
OBJECTION!

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 03:06
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I hope you mean this post rather as a guilefulness.Clown

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 03:14
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

OBJECTION!

Hmm, Let There Be MORE Light is far better!Wink

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 03:43
Originally posted by Bantam19 Bantam19 wrote:

I think it's for the most part pretty awful.  The tone of his electric at the climax of Ommadawn Part 1, for example, is basically the only thing detracting from an otherwise flawless track.

I'm afraid I do not agree. Oldfield often annoys me, but that particular climax is just the way it should be.

Still, I think I know what many of you are getting at: when Oldfield plays electric guitar solos, he often sounds "boxed in", it seems as if he's playing some kind of toy guitar. (Steve Hackett tends to have similar problems.)

If you want to hear Oldfield at his freest, I suggest the following two tracks:

1. "First Excursion", a five-minute collaboration with David Bedford. Here Oldfield's guitar really "opens up" and the music really breathes. It's ecstatic music, similar to early Terje Rypdal. (The track can be found on BOXED and on ELEMENTS).

2. "Whatevershebringswesing", the title track to the eponymous Kevin Ayers album, a delicate love ballad. Oldfield provided a longish electric guitar solo which he recorded before he got famous (I think); for my money, it's the most beautiful thing he's ever done.

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 04:19
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Good enough

jep

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 08:39
I think it's good, but regardless if I like it or not, it's original and distinctive. You know that's Mike Oldfield when you listen to it.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Hoipolloi
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 12:46
I tend to think his tone is good.  There are some instances where it's not up to par with his other work though

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 16:21

OBJECTION!

Dead

Posted By: russellk
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 17:05
I presume we're talking about electric guitar? And are we going to accept that Oldfield's guitar tone is the same throughout one recording, let alone over the forty years he's been recording?I'm not sure about that: in his early years, in keeping with his symphonic/folk ambitions, the tone is a little rougher, underproduced (for Oldfield). His pop years are characterised by a smoother tone - syrupy, his detractors might say.

It also helps to recognise that Oldfield is the epitome of melody-based composers. He's rightly revered for sweet melody lines, making many think he's nothing more than a saccharin new age composer (though I'd argue his earlier works are much more than this). I suspect because of this for many people his guitar tone sounds sweeter (and therefore poorer) than it actually is.

As for the climax to 'Ommadawn Pt 1' I think it is a perfect summation of what's come before. No, he's not as good at it as, say, David Gilmour, but he manages to make his guitar sound like it's reaching for the note, not hitting it easily. It's a common rock device and Oldfield does it superbly (an even better example is Gilmour's solo in 'Shine On Pt VI').

I think the OP poll question should have been 'Does Oldfield's guitar tone enhance his music?' I'd say yes.

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 17:41
It's good.

-------------

Posted By: Mista-Gordie
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 20:07

You think that a banal guitarist can have a great tone??? seriously. A good guitar sound is the only thing a mediocre guitarist can't produce, because it takes a lot of time. Mike Oldfield may seem to be a mediocre guitarist because he often plays simple guitar parts, but he's one of those guitarists that gives more importance to the guitar effects than the technical aspects, and I think it's the most important thing. For me Oldfield is one of the 5 best guitarists ever

Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 20:22
Originally posted by Mista-Gordie Mista-Gordie wrote:

You think that a banal guitarist can have a great tone??? seriously. A good guitar sound is the only thing a mediocre guitarist can't produce, because it takes a lot of time. Mike Oldfield may seem to be a mediocre guitarist because he often plays simple guitar parts, but he's one of those guitarists that gives more importance to the guitar effects than the technical aspects, and I think it's the most important thing. For me Oldfield is one of the 5 best guitarists ever
Posting note: The insertion of a "winking" emoticon indicates the presence of sarcasm.

As far as being among the 5 best guitarists ever, I would have difficulty including him in a top 100. Too many great guitarists for Oldfield to be in such a discussion.

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 20:45

Posting note: The insertion of a "winking" emoticon indicates the presence of sarcasm.

As far as being among the 5 best guitarists ever, I would have difficulty including him in a top 100. Too many great guitarists for Oldfield to be in such a discussion.
Maybe he's not one of the best the best technically, but he's still great, and I think the feeling is even more important than the technical skills. That's why he's one of my 5 favourites ever

Posted By: POTA
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 20:56
I'm not the biggest Oldfield fan, but his tone could possibly be my favorite after that of Gilmour. I could recognize Oldfield a mile away. I think his uniqueness and style are incredible. Prior to clicking this thread I would never have guessed that'd I'd be seeing the words "medicore" and "awful".

Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 21:45
Originally posted by POTA POTA wrote:

I'm not the biggest Oldfield fan, but his tone could possibly be my favorite after that of Gilmour. I could recognize Oldfield a mile away. I think his uniqueness and style are incredible. Prior to clicking this thread I would never have guessed that'd I'd be seeing the words "medicore" and "awful".
You're right. Seriously, I can't understand how anyone can say that. I think you have to not know him at all to say he's a mediocre guitarist. You can not like him, but you can't say he's not amazing, IMO

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 21:56
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

OBJECTION!

Dead

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 22:03

You're right. Seriously, I can't understand how anyone can say that. I think you have to not know him at all to say he's a mediocre guitarist. You can not like him, but you can't say he's not amazing, IMO

In this thread, we're not concerned with his playing abilities, but with his tone.

And what I was really referring to was his lead guitar tone, which can be found in albums like Tubular Bells and Ommadawn.

Worst sounding guitar I've ever heard.  Tinny and ruinous for me.

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 23:15
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

In this thread, we're not concerned with his playing abilities, but with his tone.

And what I was really referring to was his lead guitar tone, which can be found in albums like Tubular Bells and Ommadawn.

Worst sounding guitar I've ever heard.  Tinny and ruinous for me.
Sorry but I totally disagree

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 00:03
This threads a joke right? What's his tone like?LOL

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 00:04
For the most part it's pretty muddled, but it has it's moments

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 00:14
What I have heard of his electric tone, indicates that he should really just consider going all-acoustic. 

Posted By: resurrection
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 01:33
I don't think you can fault what he does or what his tone his; whether you like it or not is purely personal taste.

Posted By: leadsynt
Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 05:07
Hi,

I think the trademark of a great musician is to be instantly recognizable, to be unique, what Mike Oldfield surely is, since he created his own genre of music in a period, needless to say, when the best bands were at their top.
Who thinks he is a banal or mediocre guitarist probably doesn't have clear what is important in music and what is not...  While his guitar lines are not the most adventurous that one might imagine I think his guitar sound is pretty unique, and quite hard to reproduce since it's a combination of his peculiar technique of playing the electric guitar with the long nails of his right hand (a flamenco-like style I don't see in anyone else) and of course a long effect chain.
The most characteristic elements are his violin-like vibrato when he plays soft and the screaming guitar (especially with the old Gibson SG junior, P90 pickup) when he plays hard.
Suggestions: Ommadawn (finale pt 1), First Excursion, Incantations (a lot of transposition work), and an almost unknown album written by  Jazz/Rock bassist Pekka Pohjola, the mathematician's air display (1980) when he plays guitar as guest musician. 
I am speaking of the "real" Mike Oldfield, when he was young, 70s/80s ... lately he has become a new age like kind of musician, with no particularly interesting production since maybe the Songs of Distant Earth  (mid 90s).

bye

leadsynt 

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 10:02
on the border between Good and Amazing.

It is better than good.... so I went with option 1

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 10:59
It's good.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: June 20 2011 at 17:13
Absolutely AMAZING Clap.

-------------

Posted By: courtzz
Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 23:48
its ok for me

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 05:33
I love - It's amazing!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 05:44
Ewwwwww! Dead

But I have to say it would take more than a tolerable guitar tone to make his music listenable.

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 10:02
Wow am I sick of hearing about David Gilmour.  I didn't realise he had such an absurd following on this site.  I've always thought he couldn't be much less interesting as a guitarist.  I used to like him til I realised everything he does when soloing ever sounds the exact same.  BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNDDDDDDDD SUSTAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIINNNNNN BEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD.  

Now I'm always a feel over technicality kinda guy, but he's just so uncreative.  Just like Pink Floyd in general, he found a sound he was comfortable with and never ventured out again.

And Mike Oldfield is a far superior musician.  Composing original sounding music like that is MUCH MUCH more difficult than being good at guitar and Oldfield's music kills Floyd/Gilmour in terms of originality/not being pop music.  As for his tone, I'm not particularly opposed to it.  It does sound really studioed pretty often, but with his kind of recordings it works.  I'm usually about warmer smoother tones (or any Zappa tone) but it works. 

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 14:36
I am sorry, I really don't get what you are saying about Gilmour at all. I like to think that the Floyd are like an orchestra, and as such his guitar parts are part of a sonic picture, and with that in mind I cannot think that anyone would have complemented the melodies and dynamics better. For example his solo on time is in my opinion prefect in every way!

But of course this is all opinion, and nothing else........now if you wanted a guitarist to really rant about always doing the same thing - Brian May - awful guitarist, horrible tone and part of one of the most overated bands of all time.......just opinion of course

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 16:13
Originally posted by Ruby900 Ruby900 wrote:

I am sorry, I really don't get what you are saying about Gilmour at all. I like to think that the Floyd are like an orchestra, and as such his guitar parts are part of a sonic picture, and with that in mind I cannot think that anyone would have complemented the melodies and dynamics better. For example his solo on time is in my opinion prefect in every way!

But of course this is all opinion, and nothing else........now if you wanted a guitarist to really rant about always doing the same thing - Brian May - awful guitarist, horrible tone and part of one of the most overated bands of all time.......just opinion of course

Yeah I agree with you there (in personal taste that is, I can acknowledge that people can physically play), but to me Gilmour is bad for the same reasons.  His tone is certainly better, and he has more feel, but he falls to the same cliche's.  There's no way I'm bothering going into detail, but after playing guitar for so long there are certain licks people always play that make me want to strangle someone.  This is all part of my despising poppy music most likely though, so it's a matter of taste more than anything.    Personally I'd just rather have somebody like Zappa solo where the note choices are very unique and I feel like he actually has something to say, rather than "guitar solo here" then rip it up.  

I also just don't like Pink Floyd very much, the instrumentation always bored me.  Too chorus/verse/chorus for me and the bass blows, it's like the man has never heard jazz before.  I do however really like Nick Mason's style despite it's simplicity (or because of?) as well as Richard Wright's piano playing (Paintbox).   I was always much more of a Piper fan than later Floyd.  In my opinion the feel of Eclipse kind of just road through their entire damn career, too much of Darkside and other material sounds the exact same to me.  But i'll admit that there was a time in early high-school when I was into the Floyd,  so I can assure you these aren't baseless beliefs (I've heard their whole discography a lot bar a few post 80's recordings).

I've been on hold with damn people from the music building at school throughout this, so that might be full of mistakes and inconsistencies (in wording, not opinions). 

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: Navegador
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 17:42
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Ewwwwww! Dead

But I have to say it would take more than a tolerable guitar tone to make his music listenable.

ClapClapClap

Posted By: NickHall
Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 02:43
It's VERY good (but not amazing)

Posted By: Sheavy
Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 17:09
I like him acoustically over the electric. He is okay.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 17 2011 at 02:13
Mike Oldfield is a great artist.(no idea what this poll is about thoughEmbarrassed)

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: August 25 2011 at 11:12
I didn't vote in this earlier, because I am not too familiar with Mike Oldfield, but I just got Ommadawn and haven't been able to stop listening to it since. As for his guitar tone, I agree that it's not very good. However, I do quite like the style of his playing and the tone issue is not really a distraction for me. I voted "It's okay"

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk