Print Page | Close Window

Current opinion on James Labrie

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77928
Printed Date: September 19 2018 at 02:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Current opinion on James Labrie
Posted By: Mushroom Sword
Subject: Current opinion on James Labrie
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:16
I couldn't find any threads about him. So, what do you think about James Labrie? I've heard some people call him annoying, some people call him skilled, that, "he isn't a rock singer, definitely metal" and even when he sings metal, it isn't very good.

I personally like him very much. I think he's very talented, and really enjoy his vocals. I think the high pitched yelling, especially on the "A Change of Seasons", album, that everyone seems to hate is very impressive.

Well, what do you think of him?

Replies:
Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:21
Well, I can't understand this hate about James Labrie here. I accept that his voice isn't so good now. But generally I like his vocals and A change of seasons is an amazing Ep.

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:23
I didn't like his vocals the first few times I heard them, but they very quickly grew on me and I consider them an integral part of Dream Theater's sound (which happens to be my favorite progressive metal band).  An extremely good singer.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:24
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Well, I can't understand this hate about James Labrie here. I accept that his voice isn't so good now. But generally I like his vocals and A change of seasons is an amazing Ep.

Please don't misunderstand me (I wouldn't wish this misfortune on anyone), but I think his voice sounds better after his food poisoning incident- I honestly do.  I really don't like the singing on much of Images & Words

He seems to have a warmer tone on later albums that isn't so shrill.

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:32
On the more more symphonic/prog rock style pieces like Octavarium and Six Degrees his voice fits perfectly. And on Train Of Thought his voice just about fit the heavier style. But his voice fit much less on the last 2 albums where Portnoy took them off in a more Metal direction, especially on Black Clouds the music is just written for a different vocalist. Hopefully the new album is much more like DT and less like the Metal catering that happened on the last album, then LaBrie's presence will feel right.

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:34
He needs to enunciate better. 

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:37

The guy can sing but there's just something about his voice that I can't get away with. Just my personnal taste I guess as I know many rate him.

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:42
I used to endure listening to him when I was a DT fan. I can't take it anymore though.

-------------

Posted By: MoodyRush
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 15:35
I've only heard him off of Scenes from a memory and random tracks like pull me under and panic attack; I think he's an amazingly talented singer, though I do have a soft spot for tenor voices, even though the large vibrato can be grating sometimes.

-------------
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 15:58
It depends on the tone range he tries to sing on. I don't like him when he tries to sing too high, I guess as a band they must be aware of his good range and the musicians should adjust the key they play the songs in to make James sing comfortably, but it seems like they do not always succeed.

And he had quite a bad period singing live, most of the times I have seen them live he did not sing too well, but in studio he is ok. I think Six Degrees was maybe his best period.

And surely he has become an integral part of the DT sound (but I'm not too fond of their latest albums).

Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 16:25
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Please don't misunderstand me (I wouldn't wish this misfortune on anyone), but I think his voice sounds better after his food poisoning incident- I honestly do.  I really don't like the singing on much of Images & Words

I will agree with the warmer tone. I understand what you want to say. But for me, those days his voice was great.

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 16:30
He's OK.  A bit peaky sometimes, when I saw DT live a while back he had an awful time hitting notes.

Posted By: Mr ProgFreak
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 17:12
^ That's my main complaint with LaBrie - he's much better in the studio than live, not just as far as range is concerned, but also hitting notes (pitch) - he's usually a bit flat, which is something that will annoy some people, while others don't even notice.

-------------
http://mikeenregalia.com" rel="nofollow - My Blog about Nutrition, Dieting and Excercise ... oh, and Music, too! ;-)

Posted By: cannon
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 18:27
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

It depends on the tone range he tries to sing on. I don't like him when he tries to sing too high, I guess as a band they must be aware of his good range and the musicians should adjust the key they play the songs in to make James sing comfortably, but it seems like they do not always succeed.

And he had quite a bad period singing live, most of the times I have seen them live he did not sing too well, but in studio he is ok. I think Six Degrees was maybe his best period.

And surely he has become an integral part of the DT sound (but I'm not too fond of their latest albums).

My sentiments exactly.Clap

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 22:07
He's very hard to bear when he gets into those head voice-y high sustains because his diction is especially terrible at these times.  Also, has an annoying habit of breathing very audibly between lines when he's doing soft singing.  Sure, Matt Bellamy does that too and in a far more annoying way but I don't consider him a great singer either.  My no.1 complaint with LaBrie though is that he has a whole slew of artificial mannerisms. When he does grit, it sounds like a bad Hetfield imitiation. When he sings softly, like on Another Day, he seems to be channeling George Michael and doing it badly again.  The emotive thrust is almost always overshot and overwrought. Now, if you don't mind any of these things, you'd like his singing a lot because he has really good range but for me, these and many other things are very off putting so I bear with his singing perforce on those DT songs and albums that I like .

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 22:41
Remember them in the eighties? Guess what wasn't there. That's right: Labrie.

Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 22:42
I've also noticed the maturity between albums. Listening to Awake or Images and Words, he sounds so much higher (sound-wise) and younger compared to Black Clouds and Systematic Chaos.

Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 22:43
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Wally has a point.  Not only was WDaDU their best album, Dominici (sp?) was a far better vocalist.

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 22:45
I do not like his vocals. Sometimes good but generally they don't do much for me and often I dislike them.
Maybe they are better now but really, from beginning to now I am not a fan.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 00:05
I did not like his singing on "Images & Words" either, but I thought he did pretty good on "Black Clouds & Silver Linings."

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 00:25
He's good in the studio, just OK live. He's good with melody, just decent with loud metal. But I wouldn't accept DT without his voice.

-------------

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 00:33
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Wally has a point.  Not only was WDaDU their best album, Dominici (sp?) was a far better vocalist.

LOL

troll troll troll troll

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 00:56
he has his faults, but DT would'nt be DT without his vocals

I dont mind them, they dont usually bother me, and hell, sometimes his vocals send chills down my spine (Learning to Live, Octavarium, The Count of Tuscany, etc...)

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 01:57

He's OK.  A bit peaky sometimes, when I saw DT live a while back he had an awful time hitting notes.

Somebody buy him an Auto-Tune Tongue

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 03:19
Dude needs to grow his hair back out. Or at the least have a wig prepared for shows and public appearances. (Andrew WK has done this for years).

That haircut is fine for his private life, but for a metal frontman it's just unforgiveable.

He should also keep the full beard or be clean shaven. It bugged me so much when he had that white supremacist goatee for so many years. Actually viewing again it still looks like a white supremacist goatee just fuller. Shave that off man, you're making me uncomfortable

Edit: Oh you meant as a singer? He was great back in the day, and still damn good considering his vocal chords were pretty much destroyed.

-------------

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 03:24
Everyone keeps saying "DT just wouldn't be without him"

I will respectfully disagree Approve
I know DT is god level here but it is just a band, few times will losing a member really be utterly catastrophic/altering and while he's deeply rooted with DT...so was Portnoy.

They'd live if LaBrie went on.

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 11:17
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

This.

Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 11:22
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Dude needs to grow his hair back out. Or at the least have a wig prepared for shows and public appearances. (Andrew WK has done this for years).

That haircut is fine for his private life, but for a metal frontman it's just unforgiveable.

He should also keep the full beard or be clean shaven. It bugged me so much when he had that white supremacist goatee for so many years. Actually viewing again it still looks like a white supremacist goatee just fuller. Shave that off man, you're making me uncomfortable

Edit: Oh you meant as a singer? He was great back in the day, and still damn good considering his vocal chords were pretty much destroyed.

Umm... Metal frontman? I don't think there is a frontman to DT?
But if there is, it's not Myung.

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 11:24

IMO leave the wigs to Spinal Tap. LOL

-------------
A fun place to review and discuss metal: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - MetalMusicArchives

Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 12:25

Dude needs to grow his hair back out.

This is the actual absolute truth regarding Labrie. His current hair sucks. I can't imagine him fronting a bad Alabama country bar band, much less the most popular progressive metal band.

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 12:28
LOL He becomes older and his hair falls. No one can stop that.

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 13:17
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

LOL

troll troll troll troll

100% serious, I've often said that it's their best album and I truly believe that.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 02 2011 at 09:39
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

^ That's my main complaint with LaBrie - he's much better in the studio than live, not just as far as range is concerned, but also hitting notes (pitch) - he's usually a bit flat, which is something that will annoy some people, while others don't even notice.

Agree...this last tour with Iron Maiden was not good for him, it sounded like Chaos In Motion CD........very bad! The band itself was very good......vocals not so much.

For me the highlights are SDoIT, Scenes and Train of Thought......Title track Octavarium is excellent.

As far as Static Impulse...not impressed at all. I much prefer his work in Mullmuzzler and Framshift.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 02 2011 at 09:47
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Dude needs to grow his hair back out.

I can't imagine him fronting a bad Alabama country bar band, much less the most popular progressive metal band.

At least he has all his front teeth........
LOL

-------------

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: May 02 2011 at 12:48

Too bad he's the worst vocalist ever to appear on a prog album.

Date Posted: May 02 2011 at 14:37
lol, no.  That would be Phil Collins.

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: May 02 2011 at 14:38
I think James is fine, but it was Portnoy's amateurish growling that brought the band's sound down the most. Definitely one of the things I won't miss.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: jmatos
Date Posted: May 03 2011 at 00:28
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

I think James is fine, but it was Portnoy's amateurish growling that brought the band's sound down the most. Definitely one of the things I won't miss.

< ="utf-8">
I'm not a big fan of LaBrie but I don't mind him, no band is perfect.  +1 to Portnoys "growling" (and backing vocals)... they we're pretty weak in the last few albums.  But I have to admit that there's a certain cheesiness to DT that always gets me... Thumbs Up 
< ="utf-8">

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 03 2011 at 21:42
I do find LaBrie's high notes very annoying, but apart from that I guess he's done a very good job in the band. When he sings soft he can do it beautifully (I like his singing pretty much on the Dark Side cover album, I think his soft voice, though different from the original vocals, fits the music pretty well). When he tries so sing in a mean metal way, he's OK with me. And I actually liked his singing very much on Black Clouds... I guess it may even be my favourite album vocal-wise. I wouldn't mind too much if DT changed him, I might actually like to hear how they would sound with a different (and arguably better) singer (and see how old songs would sound). On the other hand, without Portnoy, we may hear a pretty different side of LaBrie's singing.

Posted By: peart_lee_lifeson
Date Posted: May 03 2011 at 21:48
I really like Labrie's vocals.  He has had some rough moments live, but watch the Live Score Concert DVD.  He belts it out flawlessly on that one.  Amazing!

-------------
PROG ON!!!

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: May 03 2011 at 22:34
Originally posted by peart_lee_lifeson peart_lee_lifeson wrote:

I really like Labrie's vocals.  He has had some rough moments live, but watch the Live Score Concert DVD.  He belts it out flawlessly on that one.  Amazing!

It should be mentioned that there were no vocal overdubs on Score Big smile

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: May 04 2011 at 20:01
I love his voice and his vocal ability. As already mentioned on this surprisingly no-bashin-Labrie-thread, He has a great original metal side, a very good soft music vocals and a great taste on melodies. For me, Labrie is essential for DT, 'cause he never end up sounding like anyone else but him. His cover version of Queen in the last album was just impressive, no one can sing like that. 

His solo albums are great also.   

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: May 04 2011 at 20:24
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

I love his voice and his vocal ability. As already mentioned on this surprisingly no-bashin-Labrie-thread, He has a great original metal side, a very good soft music vocals and a great taste on melodies. For me, Labrie is essential for DT, 'cause he never end up sounding like anyone else but him. His cover version of Queen in the last album was just impressive, no one can sing like that. 

I agree with all this, especially his cover of Queen. One contrast of that is his rather painful cover of To Tame a Land - not his best moment IMO LOL

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: May 04 2011 at 20:39
I am not a DT fan, but I will say that he isn't as pitiful as folks tend to claim. No, he doesn't ever win any emotion awards from me, but he's leagues ahead of...somegeddyleesingers I could mention. :P

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: May 04 2011 at 22:00

I agree with all this, especially his cover of Queen. One contrast of that is his rather painful cover of To Tame a Land - not his best moment IMO LOL
LOL yeah... that song started great but he complicated the stuff in the middle and totally scrw*d up at the end... well, no one is perfect right? 

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Date Posted: May 04 2011 at 23:13

LOL yeah... that song started great but he complicated the stuff in the middle and totally scrw*d up at the end... well, no one is perfect right? 
If you have ever heard DT's cover of "The Number of the Beast", you know Labrie can have very bad moments when they put too much of a challenge in front of him LOL

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2011 at 09:53
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

If you have ever heard DT's cover of "The Number of the Beast", you know Labrie can have very bad moments when they put too much of a challenge in front of him LOL

His scream was super impressive, especially considered I haven't heard where Bruce nailed it live.  But his singing on the verse was off putting, to put it mildly. 

Posted By: Program
Date Posted: May 10 2011 at 15:09
Cheese LaBrie was an amusing term I once heard haha. Personally I don't dislike him at all, I'm not a great Dream Theater fan but I hope he keeps doing what he does because I know lots of other people who like him and the band!

-------------
Art as expression, not as market campaigns!

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 07:41

LOL

troll troll troll troll

100% serious, I've often said that it's their best album and I truly believe that.
YES! And I agree absolutely with you! WDaDU is just soooooo amazing! Clap Never ever did they manage to do a better album than that. The Live Bootleg with James singing is horrible! Charlie Dominici was by far the better vocalist!
PS: I am also not trollin! I am dead serious!

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: September 14 2011 at 07:04
I think he's good. There are moments when his voice can't hack it live, but usually in studio he's incredible.  Watch the Score 20th anniversary concert. He's unbelievable there. He does a very fine job on the new album, too. 

Bash him if you like, but there are not many guys that can sing with that kind of range. 

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Date Posted: September 14 2011 at 07:22
Originally posted by Kashmir75 Kashmir75 wrote:

I think he's good. There are moments when his voice can't hack it live, but usually in studio he's incredible.  Watch the Score 20th anniversary concert. He's unbelievable there. He does a very fine job on the new album, too. 

Bash him if you like, but there are not many guys that can sing with that kind of range. 

There may not be MANY guys but there certainly are others who can sing in a comparable range to LaBrie, if not even higher.  The Lost Horizon guy hits a D6 on the song Highlander, those are really high notes for a female singer, let alone tenors.  And he really nails it too. Since range seems to be the main defense offered in favour of LaBrie's singing, some people, like myself, do find him heavily overrated.  And range aside, there are many aspects of his singing that are either not highly impressive or downright offputting...I won't go into those because if you like it, you like it, period. 

Posted By: thepower
Date Posted: September 19 2011 at 12:57
Strange how nobody mentioned "Awake" as LaBrie's best performance.

Date Posted: September 19 2011 at 18:11
Originally posted by thepower thepower wrote:

I really like his performance on Awake.  That and it's my favorite DT album. Smile

-------------
A fun place to review and discuss metal: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - MetalMusicArchives

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: September 19 2011 at 18:28
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I really like his performance on Awake.  That and it's my favorite DT album. Smile

Since the new album came out i started listening to their old albums again.
That album has really stuck to me, and i've really been loving it.
I'll say it's my favorite at the moment too.

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: September 19 2011 at 18:40
He used to have great range, but he would tend to get shrill to often.  I actually like his voice better now that it's mellowed a bit.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 19 2011 at 19:31
Exactly what I think. I don't care if he has/had a great range if he would end up doing some annoying shrilling. I like him much better when he doesn't sing too high.

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: September 20 2011 at 17:31

in my opinion his best performance is on'' the human equation ''

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Date Posted: September 20 2011 at 18:50

Come to think of it, it's strange how nobody mentioned Fates Warning's "Life In Still Water" as his best performance.  You can hardly tell he's on that track (he does backing vocals), and that's how many around here like it. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Bent Cold Sidewalk
Date Posted: September 22 2011 at 09:41
Originally posted by Kashmir75 Kashmir75 wrote:

Totally agree. Magnificent on Score 20th anniversary concert. The new album is stunning and his voice superb

Posted By: 40footwolf
Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 16:17
LaBrie's voice is by and large what keeps me from enjoying most of the Dream Theater stuff I've heard. Dude sounds like an angry rodent, and even based on what little I've heard of his voice you can count me among those who prefer Dominici's voice. One of my biggest problems with Dream Theater is their self-seriousness and Dominici seems like he has the ability to counter that affect. 

-------------
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.

Posted By: wjohnd
Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 16:29
I like a fair bit of DT but the vocals are my least favourite aspect of their music.

My problem with Labrie is his phrasing, which is often non existent.
The vocalist is often a listener's 'way in' to a band that plays complex music but JLs seems to care more about diction than emotion and that's where it falls down.

That's not to say he doesn't have his moments -.  A Change of Season and Octavarium show off his talents.
The ballads on the other hand are universally dire.

Where he comes into his own in my experience is when they are live. he sets aside the carefulness of the studio and just belts out the tune. And in a high energy rock/metal band - that's what you need to do .

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 22:38
Originally posted by wjohnd wjohnd wrote:

but JLs seems to care more about diction than emotion and that's where it falls down.

He probably does, for all I know, but his diction is awful nevertheless, especially anytime he goes for a big high note.

Posted By: garegin
Date Posted: May 26 2013 at 14:27
I'm surprised that people don't touch on this. The problem is not the lack of skill. Someone pointed this out to me and stuck me so true. Eric Claptop is not a f***ing virtouso, but his singing is pleasant and enjoyable. Jagger is another extreme example. His talent and range is very limited, but his singing is catchy.
The problem with James is that this singing is (despite being great at times) often so effing obnoxious I wish a chorus of angels descended from the skies just to shut his stupid mouth. The nightmare to remember... ughh Sweet Lord, please end the misery. This is a problem with many prog metal singers. To this list I can add.

Symphony X
Rush
Fates Warning (his monotonic shrill is like cats being neutered)
Nevermore

It is the ultimate irony that "simplistic power chord bands" like alice in chains, soundgarden and zepellin had beautiful vocalists and prog metal (where the members are supposed to be masters of their trade) has vocalists that are so abominable.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 26 2013 at 17:11
Not a Labrie fan, either. The tone, the timbre, the everything about his voice turns me off.

Geddy is a great singer. He's lost a bit of range and the heavy touring takes its toll but his singing was stellar on the albums at least through the 80s or 90s if not later, if you like his sound and style.

Ray Alder similarly had a lot of power and range (though he preferred a higher octave) up through Inside Out. After that, he sounds like he's lost some (a lot?) of what he used to have. In his prime, he sounded fantastic,

I'm also a fan of Cornell's. Stellar voice. Not a fan of Layne and the other "goat man" guys, sorry. Vedder and Staley and those guys all sound one-note to me. Not a fan of Cobain, either. Grohl's singing is alright, if not that impressive.

-------------
http://www.ebay.com/sch/musicosm/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.com/sch/musicosm/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 26 2013 at 17:11
Great vocalist indeed.

-------------
we found footprints in the snow

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: May 26 2013 at 17:21
I love Labrie's voice.  It hasn't held up as well live, obviously, but I believe it an integral aspect of DT's sound.  He's the one guy in the band who really stands out individually in performances to me; he's not as technically gifted as the other musicians but his performances have more idiosyncrasy and individuality to me than the others'.

-------------
In blood, he's writing the lyrics of a brand new tune.

Date Posted: May 26 2013 at 20:44
Originally posted by garegin garegin wrote:

I'm surprised that people don't touch on this. The problem is not the lack of skill. Someone pointed this out to me and stuck me so true. Eric Claptop is not a f***ing virtouso, but his singing is pleasant and enjoyable. Jagger is another extreme example. His talent and range is very limited, but his singing is catchy.
The problem with James is that this singing is (despite being great at times) often so effing obnoxious I wish a chorus of angels descended from the skies just to shut his stupid mouth. The nightmare to remember... ughh Sweet Lord, please end the misery. This is a problem with many prog metal singers. To this list I can add.

Symphony X
Rush
Fates Warning (his monotonic shrill is like cats being neutered)
Nevermore

It is the ultimate irony that "simplistic power chord bands" like alice in chains, soundgarden and zepellin had beautiful vocalists and prog metal (where the members are supposed to be masters of their trade) has vocalists that are so abominable.

I think we have to consider the role of songwriting too here.  Even when they are catchy, DT are rarely anywhere near as catchy as Clapton or Rolling Stones or plenty other classic rock bands.  The other thing is, attitude.  I think good ROCK singing needs an attitude, the terms on which the singer engages with the outside world should come through somewhere.  Staley had plenty of it and his conviction came through in his singing.  Dio, Halford, even Eric Adams, they all had an attitude that defined their singing.  What exactly is LaBrie's attitude?  He seems to have an altogether strange approach to singing.  Doesn't have the attitude of rock, the cool of jazz or the restraint and elegance of folk.  Sounds more like a caricature of opera superimposed on metal.  He's probably somewhat like Bruce Dickinson but Bruce could actually do over-the-top artificially pseudo-opera singing quite convincingly, while LaBrie is not able to do that. 

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: May 26 2013 at 20:52
I find James is frequently very schmaltzy and overwrought, with rarely a hint of subtlety. But I do think he's gotten better, learned to tone things down on the more recent albums compared to the earlier releases, so I do respect that.

But there is no denying his voice is very distinctive. It would only take hearing him sing for a few seconds to realise instantly who the band is, so I give him credit for that!

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: May 26 2013 at 22:21
^ Distinction isn't necessarily a good thing.

I think James' voice if fine. It's decent. At times it's even mean-pirate-type-of-disgusting (i.e. sounds like a mean pirate). Not sure if I'm making sense to everyone reading this, but I think it's the best description I can come up with for that tone that he uses at times.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: May 26 2013 at 22:35
It's an interesting question, isn't it Dayvekkirq?!   

In this case, do think it's better to have a voice that is unique and stands out, whether you like it or not, that is instantly associated with that one person, that you can't mistake who they are?

People like, say.....Andy Tillison from the Tangent, Aleena from the new Kaipa albums...some examples I can think of right away where there is a very volatile and split opinion on their voices!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk