Print Page | Close Window

Art Zoyd appreciation

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78125
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 07:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Art Zoyd appreciation
Posted By: Logan
Subject: Art Zoyd appreciation
Date Posted: May 07 2011 at 14:59
Okay, I've done quite a few lame, and some good, polls over the years about Art Zoyd.  Earlier today I did another Art Zoyd poll, and then i got rid of it thinking enough is enough -- this is getting spammy.  Art Zoyd has been, maybe, the most important band to me that I've discovered over the past decade.  I used to be obsessed, and have become quite obsessed again, and my appreciation has deepened as my collection has grown and I've returned to albums that I hadn't listened to for a long time.

I adore this group, and I'm hoping to connect with more people who appreciate the music.  I'm also always happy to get recommendations of music from people who like Art Zoyd (Egisto Macchi is one really great one that reminds me in part of Art Zoyd that was a  fantastic recommendation, but I've received many).  Years ago I would search myspace for groups that cited Art Zoyd as an influence and discovered a lot of great music that way. I think of all the groups in PA, that is the group that has really spoken to me the longest and strongest, and has a fanbase that I can readily identify with.

So this thread is where people can discuss Art Zoyd and related music -- chamber music/ chamber rock, electronic, experimental  -- music that should appeal to those who like Art Zoyd.  I may not always be active in this thread because I have a lot of jobs coming my way (getting into the busiest time of the year with my work now.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Replies:
Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: May 07 2011 at 17:34
The first Art Zoyd album I heard was Les Espaces Inquiets, but it came at a time when I was considerably less adventurous, and I found it overwhelming.  I got rid of it, something I regret now.  Currently I have the first four albums (well, the re-done version of their debut) and absolutely love them.  Phase IV is my favourite of them.  I've yet to delve into any more recent Art Zoyd, but feel that I should.  The only thing stopping me right now is the price of their albums.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: May 07 2011 at 18:08
Within the last couple of weeks I've got to hear Symphonie Pour 'e Jour and Musique Pour L'Odyssee. Initial imprssions is that both are excellent and that I'm going to continue exploring this band, though the cost of their albums is prohibitive to say the least.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 07 2011 at 21:36
I'll also complain about costs of their albums. Their later albums (that are available at least) are usually pretty fair, but not great, but their early ones are insane. As a result I've only heard their more recent albums. I quite enjoy Metropolis and Berlin. Faust isn't bad either. I have Noufoustu (or however you spell it) hbut haven't listened to it yet. I also have U-B-I-Q-U-E which is alright, but hasn't hit me like the others yet. Generally I'm more of a fan of their faster paced, percussive "driven" works, but even still AZ is usually a good listen. I was pleasently surprised by most of what I heard.

Haxan is my hopeful next perchase (if I can find it somewhere). Eventually I'll have to suck it up and get some of their early stuff. I'll probably start with Phase IV being its the best value and slowly work from there. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: May 07 2011 at 23:20
I loves me some AZ and if their music were not so expensive I assume more people would love them too. Isn't all music from France expensive? I suggested their former bassist/cellist/vocalist Thierry Zaboitzeff; I think he got the thumbs up from the ZART team but he hasn't officially been added yet. As far as AZ albums go, my faves are Generation Sans Futur, Phase IV, Les Espaces Inquiets, Faust and Haxan.

Here's some Zaboitzeff for those who haven't heard his solo stuff:

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 10:22
^ Interestingly, those are exactly the same albums I've been listening to the most over the last months.  They're terrific.

I love what I've heard of Thierry Zaboitzeff, and I enjoyed that vid very much.  Thanks.  As for other Art Zoyd alumni,  I like The Alain Eckert 1981 album very much, as well as Patricia Dallio's L'éncres des Voix Sectretes.

It certainly is a shame that albums are so expensive.

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:19
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I loves me some AZ and if their music were not so expensive I assume more people would love them too. Isn't all music from France expensive? I suggested their former bassist/cellist/vocalist Thierry Zaboitzeff; I think he got the thumbs up from the ZART team but he hasn't officially been added yet. As far as AZ albums go, my faves are Generation Sans Futur, Phase IV, Les Espaces Inquiets, Faust and Haxan.

Here's some Zaboitzeff for those who haven't heard his solo stuff:

I like. Very sinister.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 20:48
I've never heard Alain Eckert solo yet. Thanks, that was a great song. Just to keep this thread alive let us not forget Art Zoyd's most avant-garde moment...

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 23:49
I wonder why this "Something in Love/Sangria" isn't mentioned in the Wiki article
on Art Zoyd?  Sounds like something happened between 1971 and 1976. 

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Date Posted: May 10 2011 at 07:27
I love "Sangria".  Here's the B ("Something in Love") side off that "single" for the curious that don't know it already (though released for the 1971 single, I suspectthat it was recorded in the late 60's.  I coud research, but...).

I just looked at the wikipedia page, and though it mentions that Art Zoyd was formed in 1968,  it only has  a select discography (does not include singles).  I guess no one toom the time to add more info -- it's a really minimal article and hopefully others will eventually add to it.  I am surprised at how sparse that Art Zoyd page is at wikipedia (both English and French pages) .

By the way, Triceratopsoil, it is shame you got rif of Les Espaces Inquiets.  That is one of my particular Art Zoyd favourites (though I've had many AZ albums for years including that one, that has been one that I've particularly played a great deal over the last months -- since putting it on my new iPod it has sometimes been played several times a day.  Listening on an mp3 player really helps me to appreciate music.  Hell, I was listening to Offering on my iPod last night, which I've been rather dismissive of in the past and loving it). Les Espaces Inquiets also an album that I considered considerably underrated at PA (the rating is higher now than it used to be) -- for me it is a five star album, along with an album such as Generation Sans Futur (which I now often cite as the greatest, but Hxan is the other I've been listening to the most of late).  I think I overlistened to some other albums years ago (especially the debut), but will return at some time.

I'd love to recommend Igor Wakhevitch to people who like Art Zoyd (just think it'll appeal to the same).  It was nice to do that Art Zoyd faust vs. Wakhevitch Docteur Faust poll (I went with Docteur Faust).  And I do wish that more people would check out Egisto Macchi:

And while I really appreciate those that have posted here, I might have thought that more people would have as I know that there are quite a few at PA who do like Art Zoyd.  I wouldn't expect it to have the popularity of, say, the Marillion Roundtable thread (I expect that Marillion albums are much cheaper than Art Zoyd's).

-------------

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: May 10 2011 at 11:21
I love Art Zoyd. My favorite album is Generations Sans Futur, and I haven't listened to any of their post 1985 albums in years. Unlike most other progressive rock (even bands I consider my own favorites), I find their music uptil that  year to have a lasting quality I never seem to grow tired of (I have an on and off relationship to most music). Don't know what else to write for the time being.

Guess I can write: Check this out! Its a full Egisto Macchi rip, and a fantastic album too:

And isn't this (and many of their other compositions) simply a masterpiece of 20th century art?:

-------------

Date Posted: May 11 2011 at 12:52
Excellent vids, thanks for posting them, and I feel the same way about Generation Sans Futur.  When I first got the album the first two tracks proved difficult for me, but the others I loved.  I soon grew to really love the whole album, though, and is the album I have listened to more than any other Art Zoyd album.

I do wish to share this excellent Haxan vid (an excerpt) in the topic with people (think it's worth watching -- I'm no artist, but very well done, I think), and I'll post a vid from Wakhevitch's Docteur Faust not only for the great music to share with people but also because of the imagery:

I did a couple of polls of favourites recently, by the way in an attempt to expose people to some good PA-type music, and voted for Art Zoyd (with Area) in one and Egisto Macchi (with Morricone) in the other: Poll:  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77885&KW=" rel="nofollow - Another A to Z combo  , Poll:  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77847&KW=" rel="nofollow - Which A to Z combo do you order?   

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: May 11 2011 at 12:59
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

By the way, Triceratopsoil, it is shame you got rid of Les Espaces Inquiets.  That is one of my particular Art Zoyd favourites (though I've had many AZ albums for years including that one, that has been one that I've particularly played a great deal over the last months -- since putting it on my new iPod it has sometimes been played several times a day.  Listening on an mp3 player really helps me to appreciate music.  Hell, I was listening to Offering on my iPod last night, which I've been rather dismissive of in the past and loving it). Les Espaces Inquiets also an album that I considered considerably underrated at PA (the rating is higher now than it used to be) -- for me it is a five star album, along with an album such as Generation Sans Futur (which I now often cite as the greatest, but Hxan is the other I've been listening to the most of late).  I think I overlistened to some other albums years ago (especially the debut), but will return at some time.

Yeah, I'd love to get another copy some day.

Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 03:51
Here's what Art Zoyd sounds like in 2011...

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 15:29
I like "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" the best.  

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 15:47
Zravkapt, interesting spectacle, thanks for sharing the vid. 

Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

I like "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" the best.  

It's a very good album, and I was  pretty obsessed with it a few years ago (especially the first and last track, but then I grew to really like the rest of the album too).

Personal Art Zoyd listening wise, today has been a Metropolis day for me (not one I'd listened to much).  Yesterday was about Faust primarily.

-------------

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: October 31 2011 at 13:20
I have heard their first six,
Their first four albums are masterpieces in my ears, especially.. well they're quite even actually. Makes for great night listening, especially Phase IV which is the most demanding of the bunch (due to it's lenght). Les Espaces Inquiets is less interesting but still great musically, Mariage is probably the most intense one out of these but pays of well after a few spins. Very underappreciated band here on the archives it seems..

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 31 2011 at 17:11
First AZ is best AZ.

Date Posted: November 04 2011 at 19:30
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

I have heard their first six,Their first four albums are masterpieces in my ears, especially.. well they're quite even actually. Makes for great night listening, especially Phase IV which is the most demanding of the bunch (due to it's lenght). Les Espaces Inquiets is less interesting but still great musically, Mariage is probably the most intense one out of these but pays of well after a few spins. Very underappreciated band here on the archives it seems..

I guess Phase IV is one of the most demanding as I still don't wholly love it, unlike Les Espaces Inquiets and many others.  When I first got Mariage I was only really into the opening and closing tracks, but grew to really like the whole thing.  You really should get Berlin, Faust and Haxan.  I like u.B.I.Q.U.e and Metropolis considerably too.

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

First AZ is best AZ.

I'd say Generation sans Futur, it's the one I've kept returning to the most over the last few years, but Art Zoyd has many albums that I love.  Actually been a long time since I listened to the debut (I have the original and re-done versions).

-------------

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: November 04 2011 at 19:32
I've loved all of it I've heard, but there's so much I still need to hear.  My favorite is probably one of the first three (though the only version of the debut I've heard is the re-recording), but they've all been very close so far.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 05 2011 at 15:14
With my recent overdose of Krautrock - a strand of music that speaks to me in a highly surrealistic yet very earthbound way - the album from Art Zoyd I´m enjoying the most these days is Berlin. If anybody´s interested in hearing this album´s German brother(s) they´d do well to check out both In den Gärten Pharaohs and Affenstunde by Popol Vuh.

Then again, I just listened to the debut and it is a true gem, although I slightly prefer Musique pour L´Odyssee.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 05 2011 at 22:10
I like Affenstunde a lot.  Playing In den Gärten Pharaohs right now -- been a while, great!

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2011 at 08:50
^It is more of an intensive and "strung" atmosphere in that Popol Vuh release. The title track seems to build up this slightly cacophonous storm through repetitive percussion and bewildering synths - and then finally when the track has had all it can muster, it sort of releases itself like a giant rubber-band that´s been stretched to its limit. Berlin is more subdued and cold like that, and works in a different way for me - not that it is inferior in any way, but certainly different. I really love the way Art Zoyd played around with electronics in the 80s, and I think they, along with a bunch of other avant/classically driven groups, proved that the decade wasn´t as dry and dead to the world of music, as many historians and proggers tend to give it credit for. There does exist music outside the radio you know...  

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: November 06 2011 at 18:32
So refreshing to know there are Art Zoyd fans in the world. To actually read their comments on the band. I have a decent collection of Art Zoyd cd's. I also greatly enjoy the music of Patricia Dallio and my favorite is Barbe Bleue.

Date Posted: November 12 2011 at 07:32
I haven't heard Barbe Bleu in whole.  I like Dallio's L'encre des Voix Secretes very much, and, related, I really like the 1981 Alain Eckert Quartet album which features her (as well as Art Zoyd's guitarist Alain Eckert, obviously).

../album.asp?id=20290" rel="nofollow -

-------------

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: November 12 2011 at 12:11
I can appreciate Art Zoyd. They're my favorite of the original RIO bands.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Date Posted: November 15 2011 at 18:55

Recently got their latest...The Fall Of The House Of Usher (whatever it is in French)...not bad at all. Very different from the previous one...much fuller/more busy and more use of percussive sounds. Not my favorite for sure, but enjoyable. I should probably listen to it in a better environment than my car...

Anyone know if Art Zoyd is planning to release another CD sometime soon?

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2011 at 21:14
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Recently got their latest...The Fall Of The House Of Usher (whatever it is in French)...not bad at all. Very different from the previous one...much fuller/more busy and more use of percussive sounds. Not my favorite for sure, but enjoyable. I should probably listen to it in a better environment than my car...

Anyone know if Art Zoyd is planning to release another CD sometime soon?

Th group's latest album, released earlier this year, is Eyecatcher/ L'homme a la Camera

http://www.artzoyd.net/2011/06/nouveau-double-cd-eyecatcher-lhomme-a-la-camera/" rel="nofollow - http://www.artzoyd.net/2011/06/nouveau-double-cd-eyecatcher-lhomme-a-la-camera/

I have yet to hear it.

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2011 at 22:05
Oh damn! That didn't make it to PA yet. Tongue

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be on the lookout for it.

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2012 at 13:02
I finally write a review to give with an old rating for Art Zoyd, though it needs some cleaning up and says very little:
-----------------------------

Art Zoyd's Haxan has been one of my favourite albums of the 90s, by what is probably my favourite band In Prog Archives for years because the patterns that Art Zoyd weaves best fit my neuralities and neuroses.  In some ways I see Art Zoyd as antithetical to the Prog Rock aesthetic set by the likes of ELP. If Art Zoyd is Prog (genre) rather than simply progressive rock (and rock related), then it is Prog Rock in Opposition -- Art Zoyd makes art music, but not I would think very inaccessible music. Haxan is melodic. To me it sounds much more natural and organic than a ton of music in the Prog universe.  It's not really weird, but it is wonderful.

They paint a picture with their textures.  It is band of contrasts, and Häxan presents lows and highs.  It can be mesmerising and hypnotic, but depending on the listener's state of mind, it could also be largely irritating and boring.

Some background info: Häxan was commissioned by the city of København as a soundtrack for the 1921  Benjamin Christensen directed film "Häxan" (Witchcraft Through the Ages).  Art Zoyd has hardly been a stranger to making soundtracks to silent films, and have written ballet dance music.

I don't think many would appreciate its mostly cold, quite ambient -- although atmospheric is the better term for it --, quite repetitive, and long nature.  It also has what I would consider something of the same 80s aesthetic we see in other Art Zoyd albums such as Le Mariage du Ciel et de lénfer  This is not 'on the whole' "action music".  To draw a film analogy, this being a soundtrack, this is much more Art house Cinema than Hollywood Blockbuster, which is not stating that it's high art -- for high art look to stoner music.

If you're looking for arena rock, blistering guitar solos, and plenty of headbang for your buck, look elsewhere.  If you want rather contemplative, atmospheric, and rather paranoid texture weaving, then this might be for you, but it would require a lot of patience for most to appreciate.  And if you're thinking this is going to be a really creepy album considering the subject matter, well no.  It is actually quite light listening on the whole.

This is silly breaking down the tracks, but I'm going to do it anyway, especially since a warning is in order..

Track 1 composed by Gerard Hourbette is long and frigid, and many would find it very tedious on the whole.  I find that it presents a brilliant atmosphere, and is highly nuanced.  The music does build in unusual ways.

"Nuit"" has light opera moments and can be a very upbeat piece.  It's quite humorous (rather recalls Beethoven's 9th to me in part), and I might call it fun and lively with sombre moments.  Delightful.

With "Häxan Phi" titled pieces we move into somewhat darker territory, but the music picks up pace.  "Häxan Xi" is somber and contemplative.  "Häxan Psi" is quiet wonderful, sombre, with bartone? operatic vocals.  I tend to turn up the volume when listening to it, which can be dangerous because the next track kicks in loud.

"Epreuves d'Acier" is the track i would be most likely to suggest to a Prog fan, and it is really loud if you don't use volume control compared to the last track.  I think it may be one of those wake-up intros that some classical composers would throw in to startle the audience who were getting a little sleepy and unfocused.  Fantastic track -- lots of contrast, and plenty of mood.  If I gave someone an Art Zoyd compilation, this would be on it.

"Marche" is very beautiful and very sad.  Such a poignant track (short and bitter-sweet).  It has the sound of sobs in it, and I'm feeling depressed, somehow it makes me feel more satisfyingly sombre.  Some might complain about an album that ends more with a whimper rather than a bang, but of course not only is this album's music following the story of the film somewhat -- I have seen the film, but not for many years and not with an Art Zoyd soundtrack -- but it does make the whole experience more poignant for me.

This is an album full of nuances but really quite simple at its core.  It does not really have complex harmonies, nor does it have, thank god, instrumental showmanship.   Art Zoyd is known as a chamber rock band, but it wasn't long before they used plenty of electronics, and they rarely had the instrumental harmonics that go into chamber music arrangement.

it is background music for a film, and should not distract over-much from that, but also stands alone beautifully and there is depth to the music, and enough contrast to keep many non-ADD listeners interested.

The only album from the 90s that has got as much play from me as Häxan is the equally magnificent Faust by Art Zoyd.  I feel like saying that this is music that fits the patterns of my slightly deranged mind, but the patterns are not deranged.  It's very orderly and logical even if it at times it has a somewhat fragmented feel.  That said, music that sounds natural to me may sound unnatural to another, nor do I am really competent in describing music since I have a disorderly mind, so buyer beware, unless you are a sombre hombre.

Date Posted: May 04 2012 at 14:04
^That's better than half the reviews on this site.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: May 04 2012 at 15:11
 It's hardly up to your Art Zoyd reviews, but when, or if, I edit it for structure, prune any repetition, add more substance, or at least use various music theory terms to make me sound kind of smart, and add some sexual innuendo, it should be okay.  I just typed what came into my head without planning it out (which is probably a very common way that many do write reviews).  It would be helpful to see the film with that score.

Date Posted: May 04 2012 at 20:07
You should also add in the review that it was the last AZ album with Thierry Zaboitzeff (who I suggested as a solo artist but I don't think has been added yet). My way of doing reviews is to write down some notes while I listen to the album, then I 'ad-lib' my review based on those notes in the little white box on the album page.

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2012 at 20:29
A good review for certain in my eyes.

-------------

Posted By: Sleep_Within
Date Posted: May 05 2012 at 22:27
I must say I'm elated to have stumbled upon this old thread.  I had no idea members of Art Zoyd had solo material as well.  From what I've heard thus far, it's outstanding.

-------------
"I decided to draw some pictures in the air, pictures of all my imaginations."

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: May 07 2012 at 05:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I just typed what came into my head without planning it out (which is probably a very common way that many do write reviews)..

You sure made me want relisten to it. 

Its been years since I gave any of Art Zoyd's post '85 albums a spin. I have a feelling that if I discovered the exact same music by another band I would be more thrilled. Now I just compare them with their six first releases. And to my ears three or four of those are flawless masterpieces of modern art. So I always end up thinking that although this is rather interesting, life is too short not to give L'Odyssée or Generations... a spin instead.

The main reason I clicked in here is because I'm listening to Berlin for the first time right now, and its rather interesting, but... no, like it. Its obviously more inspired and on another level than their creative low points (Marathonerre, Nosferatu). It sounds a lot like one of Laibach's gothic synth symphonies from around the same period, but I prefer Art Zoyd to remind me of a dark and gloomy jazzed up Bartok.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 10:37
Had to search awhile to find this thingLOL 

Anyways, is there anyone out there who've heard the most recent Art Zoyd album? I just got extremely surprised seeing a 2011 release called Eyecatcher right here on PA! Big red cover art and all.... Talk about slipping under the radar huh? 
I'd be very interested in hearing any feedback from somebody's who's heard something, anything of or about itBig smile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: pfloyd
Date Posted: October 07 2013 at 20:26
I'm finally starting to get into Art Zoyd. Generation Sans Futur and Migrations are both amazing. Not sure which album to try out next...

-------------
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Date Posted: October 07 2013 at 21:15
Try Phase IV.

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2013 at 10:39
Phase IV? LOL Sorry, but that's the one I found the hardest to get into, but hey maybe that's just me. I do love it now, but it took me a couple of years though. 
I'd say Berlin, especially if you crave a little electronic fiddlings with your Zoyd, and if you like what you hear then take on the unparalleled darkness of Häxan afterwardsThumbs Up

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 08 2013 at 10:42
BippedibumpSmile

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Anyways, is there anyone out there who've heard the most recent Art Zoyd album? I just got extremely surprised seeing a 2011 release called Eyecatcher right here on PA! Big red cover art and all.... Talk about slipping under the radar huh? 
I'd be very interested in hearing any feedback from somebody's who's heard something, anything of or about itBig smile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: schizoidman
Date Posted: October 08 2013 at 13:05
Not a huge fan of RIO, Avant-Prog or Zeuhl, but, I did manage to listen to Art Zoyd's three albums "Phase IV", "Génération Sans Futur" and "Le Mariage Du Ciel Et De L'Enfer" a few years ago and found that I really loved some of the pieces while finding others not to my taste.

I made a mix of my favorite 10 songs from those albums:

1. Ballade/Phase IV
2. Du Sang Sur La Neige/Phase IV
3. Dernière Danse/Phase IV
4. IO 1/ Le Mariage Du Ciel Et De L'Enfer
5. Sortie 134 - Part 1/ Le Mariage Du Ciel Et De L'Enfer
6. Mouvance 2/ Le Mariage Du Ciel Et De L'Enfer
7. Mouvance 1/ Le Mariage Du Ciel Et De L'Enfer
8. Génération sans futur/Génération Sans Futur
9. Divertissement/Génération Sans Futur
10. Trois miniatures/Génération Sans Futur

As someone posted previously, I, too, enjoy the more melodic, structured, rhythmic pieces. I have not heard any of AZ's other albums but would appreciate any reccomendations of similar songs from them.

-------------
Making the useless useful 24/7.

Date Posted: October 08 2013 at 13:12
^trois minatures is such a good song

Phase IV? LOL Sorry, but that's the one I found the hardest to get into, but hey maybe that's just me. I do love it now, but it took me a couple of years though. 
I'd say Berlin, especially if you crave a little electronic fiddlings with your Zoyd, and if you like what you hear then take on the unparalleled darkness of Häxan afterwardsThumbs Up

i'm digging Berlin right now, luckily its on iTunes. From what I've heard of Phase 4  on youtube, its pretty good, not quite at the same level of awesomeness as the previous album. I've only heard it like twice though.

Also, what painting is that in your avatar? It's badass

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2013 at 13:36
Berlin is my current fave, so big thumbs up for that.

My avatar is a painting called L'Ange du Foyer, or fireside angel, done by German surrealist Max Ernst. Painted in 1937 it depicts the monstrousity of fascism rolling across Europe at the time.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 08 2013 at 13:48
Nice, i'm browsing his art right now. its really cool stuff. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2013 at 17:00
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Not a huge fan of RIO, Avant-Prog or Zeuhl, but, I did manage to listen to Art Zoyd's three albums "Phase IV", "Génération Sans Futur" and "Le Mariage Du Ciel Et De L'Enfer" a few years ago and found that I really loved some of the pieces while finding others not to my taste.

1. Ballade/Phase IV

As someone posted previously, I, too, enjoy the more melodic, structured, rhythmic pieces. I have not heard any of AZ's other albums but would appreciate any reccomendations of similar songs from them.

You might like these, the title track of their 1979 album:

From the 1983 album Les espces inquiets:

From the 1995 album Faust:

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2013 at 17:12

BippedibumpSmile

The latest album I heard was Metropolis from 2002. Apparently, their latest is called Armegeddon from 2012.

-------------

Posted By: schizoidman
Date Posted: October 08 2013 at 21:13

Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

1. Ballade/Phase IV

You might like these, the title track of their 1979 album:

From the 1983 album Les espces inquiets:

From the 1995 album Faust:

Yes. I like these three pieces. Thank You

-------------
Making the useless useful 24/7.

Date Posted: October 08 2013 at 21:38

BippedibumpSmile

The latest album I heard was Metropolis from 2002. Apparently, their latest is called Armegeddon from 2012.

God another one I've never heard of. These quiet releases must stop.

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2013 at 21:41

BippedibumpSmile

I've only heard it twice but from what I remember it was a very solid, fairly typical current day release of AZ. I don't recall it being as 'active' as The Fall Of...but it is very electronic, atmospheric, fitting the 'to be played to pictures' vibe that they are experts at creating.

Not the tops but worthy of listening.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk