Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 18:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Eternal Question Two: Fish or Hogarth
Posted By: Lynx33
Subject: The Eternal Question Two: Fish or Hogarth
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 10:02
Who is the one?

-------------
Mindez elmúlt. Ma már tudom köszönteni a szépséget.

Replies:
Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 10:06
Hogarth has a separate voice. But Fish's sensitivity is fantastic. So, Fish!

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 10:08
The one with the Scottish accent.

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 10:19
I barely like Marillion really, but Hogarth sends me to sleep, so it will have to be the other guy.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Harold-The-Barrel
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 10:21
If you had asked when Fish left the band if he could ever be replaced I'd have said absolutely not, as it turns out they got a genius (Ice cream one?) in Hogarth to replace him, lyrically maybe he's not as interesting but he is still a fantastic talent and he's proved it by making Marillion an even better band today, argue the fact all you likebut its the truth...

-------------
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 10:30
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I barely like Marillion really, but Hogarth sends me to sleep, so it will have to be the other guy.

I love Fish Marillion but definitely agree with the second part.  

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 10:49
Originally posted by Lynx33 Lynx33 wrote:

Who is the one?
That entirely depends on the one what.  If you like Marillion each has their own place in their own time.  I am impressed at the devotion and evolution of the other musicians in the band.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 10:51
Fish 

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 11:13
They are two different kinds of artists, whose worth with Marillion I enjoy equally. Perhaps Hogarth because there's more of his work to appreciate. After 1990 Fish has gone straight downhill, though, both as a singer and a songwriter.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 11:23
no comment

Posted By: Pietro Otello Romano
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 11:24
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

They are two different kinds of artists, whose worth with Marillion I enjoy equally. Perhaps Hogarth because there's more of his work to appreciate. After 1990 Fish has gone straight downhill, though, both as a singer and a songwriter.

They are definitively two different kind of Bands too, and thogth I prefer the Fish era, the new Marillion are an excellent band that I really enjoy too.

When Fish left the band I was worry of an other Genesis syndrome, but they not only renew the style in a positive way, they create a new one that is already inspiring new band such as Gazpacho.

-------------
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful

what we pretend to be."

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 11:40
Hogarth has given this fan one really great album (Brave) and one good one (Marbles), everything else has been bordering on disaster and the singer is one of the main reasons why, with his quiet, breakable voice that lacks depth...

Fish has given this fan Misplaced Childhood, Fugazi and Clutching at Straws, plues the other one I just can't love. His lyrics are great and his voice memorable...

Easy choice. 

-------------

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 11:56
How many surrealists does it take to change the lightbulb?

Fish!

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 12:00
the ETERNAL answer : Fish

Posted By: jmatos
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 12:01
I would have to go with H, his voice and lyrics are incredible.  If I want to listen to a Peter Gabriel sound-alike, I'll listen to Peter Gabriel. But that's just my opinion. 

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 12:06
If I want to listen to a Peter Gabriel sound-alike, I'll listen to Peter Gabriel.

Doesn't even begin to make sense! Peter Gabriel is a sound alike of Peter Gabriel?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 12:16
I saw the band for the first time in The Marquee, just as Market Square Heroes was being released. I fell in love straight away, and Fish era has provided me with many happy memories. I NEVER thought he would ever be replaced.

That is until King Of Sunset Town came blasting out of the speakers when Seasons End was released, the beauty of Easter, and a great gig following in Wolverhampton.

I was hooked, and Hogarth era band is responsible for genuine classics of the genre. I think the man is a genius, and I would place him above Fish any day of the week, as much as I love the big guy.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 12:18
Even though the Fish era of Marillion has passed ages ago, and the band has evolved since then, I always prefer that era to the Hogarth one.  I find Fish a much more engaging vocalist (along with the rest of the music), especially with his rococco inflections.  This is not to say that Hogarth does not have a good set of pipes.  He does.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 12:31

If I want to listen to a Peter Gabriel sound-alike, I'll listen to Peter Gabriel.

Doesn't even begin to make sense! Peter Gabriel is a sound alike of Peter Gabriel?
LOLClap

If I want to listen to a person-with-sinus-problems sound-alike, I'll listen to Steve Hogarth. 

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 12:41
I do prefer Fish's vocals but i like Hogarth too. Both know how to create emotion even though they sing very differently from one another. "Season's End" i think is a great example of Hogarth's vocal talent.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 13:04
Fish

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 13:41
Hogarth by far now , as well music as vocal, since last year it's kind of new discover with Marillion, love this band more and more, got most of their albums

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 14:15
Fish in pretty much every way possible.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 14:17
Derek Dick.

Posted By: LateralMe
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 14:32

For me Hogarth is much better than Fish. I never liked Fishes vocals.

-------------
A Flower!?

Posted By: Marlon
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 15:42
Could not agree more!

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Hogarth era band is responsible for genuine classics of the genre. I think the man is a genius, and I would place him above Fish any day of the week, as much as I love the big guy.

-------------

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 16:30
I dont like Fish at all, so Hogarth for me, but marillion isent realy my cup of tea.

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 16:34
Hogarth from day one, no contest.

-------------
What?

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 16:35

same here!

Posted By: Progfan1958
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 21:25
Steve it is !

-------------
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"

Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 21:45
Originally posted by jmatos jmatos wrote:

Agreed, and Fish is really more like bits of Roger Chapman and bits of Hammill anyway. Also, direct and in your face rather than witty and subtle (Gabriel). I could never get where, vocally or musically, the Genesis imitation accusations came from.  One Grendel is not enough to seal the issue, I hear more Floyd and Rush in their music than Genesis.

Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: May 13 2011 at 21:47
FEESH

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 00:11
Steve Hogarth by a mile!!!! I was in Montreal for the Marillion Weekend last month and was totally blown away. The man is a force to be reckoned with live!! H was funny, charming, intense, dramatic without using vocal histrionics(sorry Fish) and blew everyone away with his vocals:) The man sang for close to 3 hours each night and it seemed his voice only got stronger! Fish was fine for his time but the early stuff just sounds dated now. If Fish hadn't left when he did we would never have heard how great this band can be!!!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 00:24
Fish would easily win in hand-to-hand combat.

-------------

Posted By: Takeshi Kovacs
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 03:30
Mostly eaten with chips.

-------------
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 04:14
I think it comes down to personal taste in your music. If you prefer Neo Prog you would go for Fish. If you like eclectic rock - pop music you would go for Hogarth. Personally I go for H.

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 04:30
Originally posted by Marlon Marlon wrote:

Could not agree more!

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Hogarth era band is responsible for genuine classics of the genre. I think the man is a genius, and I would place him above Fish any day of the week, as much as I love the big guy.
Clap

Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 05:17
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I think it comes down to personal taste in your music. If you prefer Neo Prog you would go for Fish. If you like eclectic rock - pop music you would go for Hogarth. Personally I go for H.
I love the Fish time but music turned to more various through the Hogart time

Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 05:19
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Fish would easily win in hand-to-hand combat.
LOL But it's about music not about fighting

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 05:22

LOLLOLLOLClapClapClap

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 05:25
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

LOLClap

If I want to listen to a person-with-sinus-problems sound-alike, I'll listen to Steve Hogarth. 

LOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClapClap

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 05:55
Fish. I like some of the Hogarth era Marillion, but Fish was so unique and his lyrics were for me, much more interesting.

Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 05:55
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

LOLClap

If I want to listen to a person-with-sinus-problems sound-alike, I'll listen to Steve Hogarth. Not fair ! bad player !  LOL

LOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClapClap

Posted By: davemuttillo
Date Posted: August 18 2011 at 22:59
Fish (by a mile) ... that's an easy question.

Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 05:06
I am a big fan of both of them, and I think Marillion as a band is richer for having had both phases in their career. That said, I like Fish's solo material a hell of a lot more than Hogarth's non-Marillion projects, and on top of that I think Fish's singing style is just plain more diverse - just listen to Clutching At Straws, where he throws in Script-style proclamations, a bit of crooning, a bit of yelling, and the occasional snatch of spoken word, and it all sounds wonderful. Whereas I tend to find that Hogarth has a fairly narrow range of singing styles in which he works best and he can fall over if he goes outside of that comfort zone - the pseudo-"rap" segment in Quartz ("you're only happy when you're oiled and jeweled") is just cringeworthy.

So, after much consideration, I have to go for Fish.

(I hate to say this, but I also suspect I'd get along much better with Fish if we met in real life... in interviews and things he writes he always seems very genuine and honest, and shows a rare combination of cocky self-confidence on the one hand with just enough awareness of his faults on the other to stop that turning into full-blown arrogance. Whereas Steve Hogarth just leaves me rather cold and comes across as being kind of "up himself", as they say around my way. But my vote was based purely on the music.)

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 07:12
I always break out laughing when I see these types of polls: The eternal question...LOL Come on! We´ve obviously come along way since Plato and Aristotel. Maybe they secretly were much more obsessed with things like: The eternal question: Who is the greatest lyre player - Stephanoupulous or Matopiphokles?

As for the eternal question asked here, I´ll go with the sea bass. The way he swims those tricky beatnik flavored waters puts him in a class of his own. One of my favorite lyricist - and I love the way his voice backs up his words, although I had to get use to his feminine screeches and overdramatic theatricals. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 08:58
well i prefer Hogarth's voice instead of fish's (not song writing capacity; if its so, i'll go with fish !)

Date Posted: August 20 2011 at 01:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I´ll go with the sea bass. The way he swims those tricky beatnik flavored waters puts him in a class of his own. One of my favorite lyricist - and I love the way his voice backs up his words, although I had to get use to his feminine screeches and overdramatic theatricals. 

Very nicely put, that's more less my take on Fish. It's amazing that he adopts such a direct approach and somehow retains a measure of elegance and understatement which makes it less than too-in-your-face...at least for those who like it anyway!  And the sheer fury in his singing often makes me look right past his theatrical excesses because he makes it appealing and compelling. She Chameleon comes to mind.

Posted By: NickHall
Date Posted: August 20 2011 at 02:28
Fish

Posted By: Billy Pilgrim
Date Posted: September 03 2011 at 04:56
Hogarth makes more enjoyable music, he is multi instrumental, and for some reason has a ton of criticism against him. Hogarth, always. Fish is great too though. 

Posted By: FunkyHomoSapien
Date Posted: September 03 2011 at 09:01
A Fish dish for me

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: September 03 2011 at 12:49
h sings from the heart, Fish only has got some drunken man's gibberish. Give me "Brave" over "Misplaced Childhood" any time.

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: September 03 2011 at 17:54
In the 80's I was a big Marillion fan and went to several concerts. Then, when Fish left, I went to the first concert with Hogarth (Season's End tour) and I have to admit I was disappointed by the performance. I think Hogarth has no charisma at all compared to Fish, who was somehow electrifying. Fish sang always with that much compassion, which Hogarth lacks. Also the music style changed and felt more streamlined. So I lost interest in the Hogarth-era Marillion.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: davemuttillo
Date Posted: September 04 2011 at 12:25
Give me 'Misplaced  Childhood' over anything Mariilion has done with Hogarth.

Speaking specifically of 'Misplaced Childhood' it qualifies as one of my ten favorite CDs of all time.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: September 05 2011 at 03:03
I'll have to confess it took time but I have grown to love Hogarth's voice.  What you get from him is real passion and emotion, and a really distinctive voice.  I didn't like him at the start, probably as he was so different from Fish and it took me time to get used to such a change.  I eventually saw the light.

Fish was for me a great frontman but not really a great vocalist.  In concert he was fabulous and had the whole audience in his hands.  I remember one gig at the Gallery in Manchester when some wag shouted "The Knife" in between songs.  His one word response "w**ker"!  I confess that nowadays I find it really hard to listen to those early Marillion albums.

Voted Hogarth, by a large distance.

Posted By: Bosh66
Date Posted: September 05 2011 at 06:14

Huge fan since Fugazi, one of the first prog albums I bought. However as somoeone here said, Brave over Misplaced every day. The music has changed but is no less prog for that. What I will say is that I can still recite every word off the first four studio albums, but would have no chance with the last four (or many inbetween). Anyway, voted for Mr Hogarth over Mr Dick.

Posted By: Bosh66
Date Posted: September 05 2011 at 06:18
Though I do wish Marillion would stop issuing so many bloody live albums, demo albums and Christmas albums that for some unfathonable reason I keep feeling some ridiculous need to buy! My Marillion album collection is bigger than most people's full record collection (and I don't mean all you music lovers on here!).

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: June 23 2014 at 21:57
I voted for Hogarth for the simple, and obvious, fact that the band was able to flourish and really come into its own with Fish's absence. There is such musical diversity on Hogarth's albums, but if Fish had stayed in the band, we wouldn't have had such masterpieces as Brave or Afraid of Sunlight or even Marbles. I do love Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws, but they don't touch me as strongly as albums like Brave and Afraid of Sunlight or even Seasons End for that matter.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: June 24 2014 at 08:27
The one is Fish though Hogarth is really good too

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 24 2014 at 21:54
I don't know enough Marillion to give an answer. I know Fish's era well enough, I guess, but with H I only know the last album. From what I know, I really loved many of the Fish songs, and "Script for a Jester's Tear" is just a magnificent album, and it's title song is just such a special piece of music, along with the "Pseudo Silk Kimono / Kaleigh" duo of songs. However, I found the last album very enjoyable as well, though perhaps it didn't have the same kind of genious, and I really liked the vocals a lot. Actually I liked H's singing much better than Fish's, which is too Gabriel-like for my taste, though perhaps a bit less annoying (still, not a fan of either's voice)... however, I would have to hear some Fish era songs sung by H to see if I wouldn't end up disapointed with the new versions anyway.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: June 25 2014 at 07:43
Bob Fripp

-------------

Posted By: Altairius
Date Posted: June 27 2014 at 03:36
Fish is the guy who had them playing music, so him.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: June 29 2014 at 12:55

Fish

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk