Print Page | Close Window

Spirit

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78294
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 13:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Spirit
Posted By: jean-marie
Subject: Spirit
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 05:46
Any Spirit fans on PA? i'm amazed , only one review and rating about this incredible album tittled Future games, i can't believe it Unhappy though i know it's more a California, Cassidy project, it's one of the most , fun and lysergic album i 've ever listened to

Replies:
Posted By: cannon
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 08:54
Huge fan of Spirit. Thier first four albums are fantastic and Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus is a psych classic. Spirit IMO is very under appreciated. Very progressive and eclectic in thier prime time. Jay Ferguson and Mark Andes left Spirit to form Jo Jo Gunne which released four great stomping rock albums.

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 10:39
Great band, but never a prog band as such. I guess many of their real fans probably visit other sites.

Posted By: Thin_Man
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 12:13
I can't say I'm a fan but I like their music... very good band

-------------
Have you seen the old world dying
Which was once what new worlds seem

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 13:22

I agree they're not prog - that's why they are listed under Proto-Prog.

I love this band, and have written a dozen or so reviews of their albums although not 'Future Games' mostly because from what I've read it isn't all that good and also because it's a little hard to find unless you want to spring $15 USD or so for the Future/Spirit of '84 combo set.

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 13:44
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I agree they're not prog - that's why they are listed under Proto-Prog.

I love this band, and have written a dozen or so reviews of their albums although not 'Future Games' mostly because from what I've read it isn't all that good and also because it's a little hard to find unless you want to spring $15 USD or so for the Future/Spirit of '84 combo set.      Don't trust what you read, just listen, this album is very good , check it out on the web Wink

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 14:48
I agree Spirit was a great band, from the first album on not afraid to try anything, which in fact may have been one of their weak points.  Dr. Sardonicus is one of the absolute best albums of the era, but like many other listeners I lost interest after Ferguson and Andes left the band. 

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Date Posted: June 04 2011 at 20:47
Give Future Games the ultimate spin, you won't regret, every Spirit fan got to listen to it Wink

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 02:14
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

Give Future Games the ultimate spin, you won't regret, every Spirit fan got to listen to it Wink
salut JM,

Actually I tried many Post Sardonicus albums from Spirit (even the horrible Feedback), but it's just not the same quality as the first four albums.... Beit Copter, Capt America, 76, son Of ,  Potatoland (that one's got some disco beats) or Future Games.... they simply never rises to the waist level of Family, Clear or Sardonicus.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 07:10
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

salut JM,

Actually I tried many Post Sardonicus albums from Spirit (even the horrible Feedback), but it's just not the same quality as the first four albums.... Beit Copter, Capt America, 76, son Of ,  Potatoland (that one's got some disco beats) or Future Games.... they simply never rises to the waist level of Family, Clear or Sardonicus.
 Agree with you, but this album, each time i made it discover to friends....they said Wow!! 

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 08:08
Until now, I just listened to The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus: not bad at all, some tunes are really wonderful.

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 13:10
Their jazzy-rocky debut is great. One of my favorite 60's albums.

One of the earliest jazz/rock pioneers.

Posted By: cannon
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 15:14
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Their jazzy-rocky debut is great. One of my favorite 60's albums.

One of the earliest jazz/rock pioneers.

Clap

I'm glad someone else has noticed this. I'll say it again. Spirit has to be one of the most underappreciated artists in regards to thier eclectic progressive experimentation. Thier first four albums are all superb. Like many others post Ferguson/Andes material doesn't come close. Feedback was bad IMO however Spirit of '76 was better but not by much.

Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 17:08
I like Spirit of 76 very much, still sometimes listen to it, the Hendrix cover is nice

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 20:17
Followed their music for many years. I loved the first for releases. I wasn't too fond of "Feedback" in comparison to those. I was attracted to the fact that while most bands from their era were San Francisco based.....they hailed from L.A. .....and they were different musically from many of the bands whose reputation was praised by the hippie culture. Spirit were actually considered "Art Rock" by many in my youth, however it felt socially different for everyone due to the somewhat known pre-U.K. progressive rock movement which had been in development with the Moody Blues and The Nice. People weren't exactly sure hoe to define Spirit. It was like ....here comes this American band that contains progressive elements and how do we think of it?....So...they sort of got pegged as something else and the progressive side or their jazz instrumentals were written off in the holy book of Prog. But if you sit down and listen to some of the early Progressive Rock bands from the U.K. ....many cross the same borders as Spirit. Spirit had a unique approach to composition if anything of importance....while some of the U.K. bands were actually not up to par with them. Spirit were not part of the prog genre simply because of their situation which molded into the press and people's minds. They had hits like many late 60's bands, but when listening to the albums elements which were bizzare and developed from being progressive would unfold as it does on a progressive rock release from the U.K

. Anything having to do with Ritchie Blackmore's career is laughable and he is a real character. The 1 night when Blackmore was ill and Randy California stepped in with Deep Purple. A entire night of Randy doing the guitar work would have been interesting to me. He had fire in his rock leads and he was very good at rolling the fingers of his left hand at rapid Alan Holdsworth speed. It wasn't often you would hear him play like this....only on certain tracks. He used tri tones in the Fripp vain...But only on rare occassion. He really had a nice technique for jazz/fusion, acoustic finger picking and driving rock guitar leads. It's sad to think of the tragic death  of himself and his son. The song "Canyon's Burning"....(title might be wrong?) is just not a psych song. It has some other kind of element to it. Like on many of their songs I have heard passages that were like Curved Air and others who hail from the early 70's prog movement. Obviously they did do songs which were psych.....but so did Curved Air and many of the others from that genre.

Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 04:48
Very interresting point of view, and thanks for remembering Randy standed in for Blackmore, i forgot that Smile

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 07:27
Hi hi breaky breaky. LOL
Future Games is fantastic, one of my fave Spirit albums.
Some completely out of this world tracks on it.

Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 08:21
Love 'Spirit' but only on the basis of 12 Dreams, so I'm definitely keen to check out the others, especially the first 4

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - JazzMusicArchives.

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 16:44
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Hi hi breaky breaky. LOL
Some completely out of this world tracks on it.      Hey! you're the first one to realy enjoy it, Beer God bless the Belgium (and the beer)

Date Posted: June 08 2011 at 14:10
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

salut JM,

Hello Hugues, what do you think about Captain kopter an d the fabulous........ just got it a few weeks ago, some nice stuff in it  but not the whole album is outstanding

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: June 08 2011 at 16:31

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Hi hi breaky breaky. LOL
Some completely out of this world tracks on it.      Hey! you're the first one to realy enjoy it, Beer God bless the Belgium (and the beer)

Thanks man, I'll toast to you Beer . We have some nice beer, yes.

I remember being a student and having a friend who was just as much into music as I was. We had different tastes but we spent evenings together, in each others student flats, listening to each others records and drinking a lot of beer. My strongest recollection of these meetings is driving home on my bike in the middle of the night, back to my student dorm, my head full of alcohol and the sounds of "Detroit City" in my head from Future Games. That is a fantastic memory Thumbs Up 

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: June 24 2011 at 06:04
Accidentially heard Pink and her version of Beck's "Feel Good Time" for the movie Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and noticed it sampled Spirit's "Fresh Garbage". I tend to ascribe this sampling to Beck rather than PinkLOL

Posted By: A B Negative
Date Posted: June 27 2011 at 12:37
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus is a psych classic.
It sure is.

-------------
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: June 27 2011 at 18:46
I have their first 4 albums, and they are all great. Sort of between the whole prog thing and the psychedelic 60s. Reminds me a bit of Affinity, Spring and Family - who tried marrying the two decades together, although these bands sound quite different from each other. I really enjoy Spirit´s The Family that plays together - such a great record! 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 01:27
LOL Hey guies ! i know about about the first four albums but i was hoping some feed back about Future Games Unhappy

Posted By: Purple Wolfhound
Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 06:45
The Twelve Dreams Of Dr Sardonicus is one of the finest psych/prog records ever made. Up there with the very best and absolutely essential in my collection.

Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 18:35
Back to topic

Posted By: GoCarlGo
Date Posted: November 01 2011 at 12:23
Can you help me? What are the tracks of these issues http://www.discogs.com/Spirit-Live-Spirit/release/2156965 and http://www.discogs.com/Spirit-Live/release/2006388 match tracks http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2323397/07220710637/? Thank you.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 01 2011 at 15:53
I only have one Spirit live CD and not sure about these tracks of the albums you posted as they seem to be live recordings from somewhere. 

Hope you can find out soon

-------------

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: November 13 2011 at 10:03
Loved Spirit's first four and have recently picked up the Mercury years hits that includes the whole of the Spirit of '76....they lost the fuzzy jazz-rock-pop-psych feel but Randy California had such a nice guitar tone....like a whole new band but very familiar at the same time.  Still haven't heard Feedback after all these years.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Date Posted: November 13 2011 at 12:24
Still have my Spirit of 76 double lp....I like it, i like the:HEY JOE cover

-------------
FAIS QUE TON REVE SOIT PLUS LONG QUE LA NUIT HAVE YOUR DREAM LASTING LONGER THAN THE NIGHT

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk