Print Page | Close Window

Is 90125 the most underrated Yes album?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78335
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 18:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is 90125 the most underrated Yes album?
Posted By: rogerthat
Subject: Is 90125 the most underrated Yes album?
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 10:10
As I listen to it, I wonder how this album actually gets so much flak.  Right now, I would call it their best since, um, Relayer or at least since GFTO.  On 90125, the band sounds rejuvenated and there are hooks galore (and I mean really good hooks that grab you by the collar).  It's their freshest effort since CTTE but I shall give consideration to Relayer and GFTO being considerably studied and ambitious efforts. I grant that 80s production values don't make it the easiest to endure initially but is that really reason enough to ignore Changes, Hold On or Leave It?  

Also, it doesn't sound so different from 80s Rush anyway, so I wonder if only second generation prog rock bands are 'allowed' to incorporate AOR or New Wave elements in their music. LOL  The only thing that doesn't go down so well with me is that it feels as if it was quite consciously made with an eye on commercial accessibility but, again, that's not to me such a huge consideration as to put this one down and applaud Drama in the same breath.  Thoughts?   

Replies:
Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 10:13
Well, it's certainly not underrated here. I love it, and think it is a true highlight of the band's career.

However, there are people who think that anything that remotely smells like a commercial song, let alone sounds like one, is automatically a bad thing. It isn't, but it's probably best to ignore the snipers and carry on enjoying. 

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 10:17
Even the first time I heard it, I never found it as bad as it was made out to be in some quarters but today it clicked for me like it never did before.  Yes, I love it too and I am glad I gave it a shot today.

Posted By: cannon
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 10:32
King Crimson's Discipline incorporated new wave at the time(1981) but not AOR IMO as did Yes for 90125. I like the album but I think Trevor Rabin's AOR/pop/rock influence lasted through the 90's with the band except for both Keys albums. IMO, the compilation Keystudio, the studio tracks from Keys To Acseension Vol. I and II is the most underated album from Yes.

Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 10:53
90125 was immensely popular and I certainly wouldn't call it underrated. Personally, I don't like it at all, along with 80s Rush. Going For The One is the Yes album that doesn't get the love it deserves

Posted By: proginrev
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 12:28
Yes progressed rather than remaining with the traditional prog sound and that is never popular with fans initially. Look at Marillion and even Genesis. But always in retrospect I enjoy these albums. 90215 is a class album, yes it has AOR influences but why not? That is the art of moving on. That is true progressive music.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 12:41
On Rick Wakeman's website, he wrote the following under his "Grumpy Old Rick" blog:

http://www.rwcc.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.rwcc.com/

"Jon is in pretty constant contact with Trevor Rabin and music has already started flying back and forth. Jon has sent through some great ideas and I will shortly be sending some stuff back across the Atlantic to both Trev and Jon. Trev, I know, is also working on music for the project and we are all really up for it and excited as to what it’s going to produce. 

As many people know, it’s a combination of YES personnel that’s never been used on recordings, and certainly, if the chemistry that happened on the UNION tour between the three of us can reignite itself, then we are in for a treat making the music and hopefully it’ll be a treat for others to listen to it......and then, with a bit of luck...live performances...and special ones, not hundreds of gigs one after the other which dissipates all meaning of the music."

Since it appears that Trevor will reappear soon in a Yes formula, I've been giving his Yes catalog a good listen recently.   I agree, 90125 has some excellent material (my favorite being "It Can Happen,") although I don't care for followup material such as "Big Generator" as much.

Trev has chops & good compositional sense, so I'm curious how he'll sound 30 years after 90125!  He has some serious growth under his belt from his film scoring & other work.  I'm more excited about the Anderson/Wakeman/Rabin project's potential than I am about the latest Yes lineup, although time will tell.  

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 13:09
No, I think it's actually overrated.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 13:09
I prefer Talk where the band sounded a bit more 'relaxed'. 90125 was just too forced for my liking much like Genesis post Duke output. That happens when commercial considerations overtake artistic ones (imo).
The eighties is almost a total write off for most seventies prog bands with only Rush and King Crimson seeming to have an actual artistic vision.Rush's music about impending oblivion was hardly the stuff for radio airplay.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 13:27
I'm still waiting for more news from that project, really looking forwards to it. I find 90125 a really enjoyable album, though few songs are really highligts for me. However, it's a really good pop album. Still, for a Rabin era song, my favouirte is "Endless Dream" by far.

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 13:56
The Ladder

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 13:59
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 14:17

Me too.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 15:32
Hey, I liked it at the time but I have better things to listen to these days.  

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 19:58
I like it.

It's not at the level of "Fragile", "The Yes Album" or "Close To The Edge", but it's a good album.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 19:58
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

90125 was immensely popular and I certainly wouldn't call it underrated.

Welcome to popular and underrated. In other words, if it is popular and especially a popular album in the 80s from a prog rock band, it cannot be very good, is the usual presumption and it thereby gets more than its fair share of flak. 

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 20:07
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Welcome to popular and underrated. In other words, if it is popular and especially a popular album in the 80s from a prog rock band, it cannot be very good, is the usual presumption and it thereby gets more than its fair share of flak. 

Perhaps he just didn't like the album. I could never hear it again and would never miss it. It does nothing for me. Personally, I think Going for the One is underrated and Yes sounds rejuvenated and lyrical on that release after falling into the ELP Works I and II trap with the bloated and pretentious  Relayer and Topographic Oceans albums.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 20:18
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Perhaps he just didn't like the album. 

Fair enough and I was really addressing the general assumption that something that is popular cannot be underrated.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 20:25

Fair enough and I was really addressing the general assumption that something that is popular cannot be underrated.
Well, there have been plenty of albums that have been critically panned, even savaged, that still proved to be wildly successful with the public. So, I suppose an album can be underrated in that sense. We were just talking about Tull's A Passion Play in another thread. There's an album that the critics attacked almost  universally, but it still went to #1 in the U.S.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 01:12
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Perhaps he just didn't like the album. I could never hear it again and would never miss it. It does nothing for me. Personally, I think Going for the One is underrated and Yes sounds rejuvenated and lyrical on that release after falling into the ELP Works I and II trap with the bloated and pretentious  Relayer and Topographic Oceans albums.

Interesting. For me the holy trinity of Yes albums is The Yes Album,Fragile and Close To The Edge. That may have had something to do with the line ups. Moraz never really fitted into Yes and should have remained in Refugee imo. I still like Gates though. Going For The One has some very strong material but it feels a little bit too forced for me.

ELP's Works Volume album is a decent effort and much more interesting musically than many albums of the time. I wish it was more respected. The average rating it currently gets of around 2.5 is criminal imo.

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 03:44
I agree it's more accessible, but it sounds like a band whose day is long gone and who don't know where they are. Nothing wrong with the playing etc (other than the usual Yes question of taste and excess) - this is a band of always high quality musicians after all - but for me, the albums following Fragile were all downhill, they had their day in the sun.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 04:48
It's a high point in 1980's rock music in my opinion, and a gem in the Yes catalogue.

It sounds like a fresh young band in their 20's; full of ideas and brimming with enthusiasm. Not all albums recorded in that decade stand the test of time, partly because of production and partly because of lack of musical invention, but 90125 sounds as fresh to my ears, today, as it did back in 85 when I first heard it.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 05:23
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Hey, I liked it at the time but I have better things to listen to these days.  

spot on

Posted By: Sing To God
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 05:30
I liked it when it came out. I also liked Bon Jovi, Europe,Simple Minds and U2 in the mid-80s.

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 07:33
Here's a side question for old Yes fans: would this album serve as a "gateway drug" to the older Yes albums? In other words, if people listen to this album and like it, would they likely move backwards and take a liking to stuff we consider classic Yes?

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 07:59
^^^ 90125 is how I discovered Yes.

My next purchase was Topographic Oceans. I chose that one next because I liked the cover artwork so much. You can imagine my horror and surprise when I heard it. It was a slow grower, but yes Rabin era Yes, specifically 90125 was my introduction to the band.

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 09:15
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

It's a high point in 1980's rock music in my opinion, and a gem in the Yes catalogue.

It sounds like a fresh young band in their 20's; full of ideas and brimming with enthusiasm. Not all albums recorded in that decade stand the test of time, partly because of production and partly because of lack of musical invention, but 90125 sounds as fresh to my ears, today, as it did back in 85 when I first heard it.

Yes (no pun intended Wink), couldn't agree more with this.  I think the 'image problem' is too much to surmount with respect to 90125. Songs like Leave It Now (especially!) and Our Song capture the quintessence of Yes at their best but with a new context.  It's not all out prog but it's not dumb pop music either, these songs in particular and the album as such has several moments of brilliance. I guess the change must have been too in your face then to take and that perception has stuck. But their 'old' formula, having delivered masterpieces like Fragile and CTTE, had run its course and gone stale, especially on Tormato.  90125, instead of attempting to carry on the tradition at risk of stagnation, captures a good deal of what made Yes an amazing band in the first place - their inventiveness and infectiousness.

As for the other question, it could be pretty misleading as a gateway drug unless one works back through Drama.  Fragile would sound like the album of a very different band.

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 09:51

My next purchase was Topographic Oceans. I chose that one next because I liked the cover artwork so much. You can imagine my horror and surprise when I heard it. It was a slow grower, but yes Rabin era Yes, specifically 90125 was my introduction to the band.

LOL  Good heavens, I can only imagine!!  Going from "Owner of a Lonely Heart" to "The Ancient".....!!

At the 35th Anniversary Tour in Chicago, there were many older fans like myself who also brought their kids along (teens, twenty-somethings etc.).    I watched the crowd throughout the show because they were so interesting...

When OOALH was played, it brought a loud cheer & the "kids" became visibly animated....so yes, I believe that OOALH and 90125 did bring some new fans back to Yes.   The kids responded well throughout the show, I think because the lighting and visual presence was so stunning, if not only for the music.  A sublime performance, one of the best I'd seen from Yes. 

Now, how much these new fans ever got into "Tales" is beyond me!

Genesis had a similar experience, when the "Duke" era band would pull out old classics....I had heard that their audience would go "Huh?" when "Apocalypse in 9/8" was performed.  I don't think the kids got into it quite so much as the Yes kids dug the band.  

It's always interesting to see how these bands attempt to woo the younger generations! 

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 10:56

I was a bit of a backwards explorer myself. I got on board with prog late '70's.  90215 is OK with me.

-------------

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 10:57

Here's a side question for old Yes fans: would this album serve as a "gateway drug" to the older Yes albums? In other words, if people listen to this album and like it, would they likely move backwards and take a liking to stuff we consider classic Yes?

Maybe Drama. I've come across people who were dissapointed with Close To The Edge, Relayer and TFTO. This and Big Generator are some peoples idea of Yes. Fortunately they went back to their older musical methods.

-------------

Posted By: Lizzy
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 11:48

I have also discovered Yes via 90125 (and Tormato) and then moved to The Yes Album, CttE, Fragile and the other 'classics'. So to answer the question: Sure! :D

-------------
Property of Queen Productions...

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 12:19
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

I have also discovered Yes via 90125 (and Tormato) and then moved to The Yes Album, CttE, Fragile and the other 'classics'. So to answer the question: Sure! :D

Definitely, in much the same way as many people got into older Genesis on the back of albums such as ATTWT & Duke.

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 13:08
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

LOL  Good heavens, I can only imagine!!  Going from "Owner of a Lonely Heart" to "The Ancient".....!!
At the 35th Anniversary Tour in Chicago, there were many older fans like myself who also brought their kids along (teens, twenty-somethings etc.).    I watched the crowd throughout the show because they were so interesting...
When OOALH was played, it brought a loud cheer & the "kids" became visibly animated....so yes, I believe that OOALH and 90125 did bring some new fans back to Yes.   The kids responded well throughout the show, I think because the lighting and visual presence was so stunning, if not only for the music.  A sublime performance, one of the best I'd seen from Yes. 
Genesis had a similar experience, when the "Duke" era band would pull out old classics....I had heard that their audience would go "Huh?" when "Apocalypse in 9/8" was performed.  I don't think the kids got into it quite so much as the Yes kids dug the band.  
It's always interesting to see how these bands attempt to woo the younger generations! 

Oh yes, it was quite a moment when I first put TFTO on the turntable. The vinyl went straight into the sung intro. Me and my friend sat there opened mouthed for a few moments before laughing our arses off!!

Looking back, I worked backwards with Genesis too. Well, sort of. I started with ATTWT, then Trick, then Genesis (shapes) Mama was in the charts at the time, and I loved it. But with Yes, I think they've produced gems in all their manifestations. TFTO sits in my Yes top 5 these days, along with Going for the One, Fragile, CTTE and The Yes album.

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 13:25

Oh yes, it was quite a moment when I first put TFTO on the turntable. The vinyl went straight into the sung intro. Me and my friend sat there opened mouthed for a few moments before laughing our arses off!!

Looking back, I worked backwards with Genesis too. Well, sort of. I started with ATTWT, then Trick, then Genesis (shapes) Mama was in the charts at the time, and I loved it. But with Yes, I think they've produced gems in all their manifestations. TFTO sits in my Yes top 5 these days, along with Going for the One, Fragile, CTTE and The Yes album.

LOL

That's a nice story! 

TFTO is my favorite album of all time, but I did not have an "entry album" for Yes really.  My first experience with Yes was their Masterworks Tour (Kansas opened).  Yes played 8 songs in 2 hours.

The next morning, "I get up, I get down" and "I still remember the talks by the waters, the proud sons and daughters" rang in my head, and I knew I had to discover more of this band (even though at the concert I was like, "Lordy, when does this song end?") LOL

I wound up purchasing Yessongs from Circuit City, thinking it was a compilation with all these songs on there, but was initially disappointed that it was a live album.  Still, it was enough to get me hooked and familiar with many classic songs.

I just wound up acquiring studio albums one by one.  I don't recall which one I got first.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 13:37
Was among one of the first prog albums I owned (and the second Yes album I bought; Close to the Edge was the first one)  and I loved it  from the first listen although toatlly different to Close to the edge and I  still d olove it  today! Yes,  90125 its underrarted!

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 14:31
A "bleh" album made by a band who should of done better.
If you call that album's lineup Yes somehow.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 14:37
If the current average ratings of Drama (3.75) and 90125 (2.82) are swapped, both are really close to what they should be. 90125 is their best album since Going for the One. I don't know the albums that they made afterwards.

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 15:08
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

I agree it's more accessible, but it sounds like a band whose day is long gone and who don't know where they are. Nothing wrong with the playing etc (other than the usual Yes question of taste and excess) - this is a band of always high quality musicians after all - but for me, the albums following Fragile were all downhill, they had their day in the sun.

So Close To The Edge and Relayer were pieces of sh*t then?

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 15:19
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

A "bleh" album made by a band who should of done better.
If you call that album's lineup Yes somehow.

The only new member of the band was Rabin. Even Kaye had been a member previously, so why should the line not be called Yes?

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 15:21
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

LOL That's a nice story!  TFTO is my favorite album of all time, but I did not have an "entry album" for Yes really.  My first experience with Yes was their Masterworks Tour (Kansas opened).  Yes played 8 songs in 2 hours.The next morning, "I get up, I get down" and "I still remember the talks by the waters, the proud sons and daughters" rang in my head, and I knew I had to discover more of this band (even though at the concert I was like, "Lordy, when does this song end?") LOLI wound up purchasing Yessongs from Circuit City, thinking it was a compilation with all these songs on there, but was initially disappointed that it was a live album.  Still, it was enough to get me hooked and familiar with many classic songs.I just wound up acquiring studio albums one by one.  I don't recall which one I got first.

Kansas opening for Yes! Sounds like one of those dream concerts.

8 songs in 2 hours Yep! Sounds like prog heaven.

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 15:26

LOL That's a nice story!  TFTO is my favorite album of all time, but I did not have an "entry album" for Yes really.  My first experience with Yes was their Masterworks Tour (Kansas opened).  Yes played 8 songs in 2 hours.The next morning, "I get up, I get down" and "I still remember the talks by the waters, the proud sons and daughters" rang in my head, and I knew I had to discover more of this band (even though at the concert I was like, "Lordy, when does this song end?") LOLI wound up purchasing Yessongs from Circuit City, thinking it was a compilation with all these songs on there, but was initially disappointed that it was a live album.  Still, it was enough to get me hooked and familiar with many classic songs.I just wound up acquiring studio albums one by one.  I don't recall which one I got first.

Kansas opening for Yes! Sounds like one of those dream concerts.

8 songs in 2 hours Yep! Sounds like prog heaven.

I wish I could relive the concert now- it was an amazing set list:

1. Close to the Edge
2. Starship Trooper
3. The Gates of Delirium
4. Leaves of Green
5. Heart of the Sunrise
6. Ritual
7. Your Move / I've Seen All Good People
8. Roundabout

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 15:29
By the way (on topic), 90125 is one of the greatest progressive pop albums of all times, and it rocks aplenty.  Four stars for me.  I love "It Can Happen" and the chorus to "Hearts" is majestic.

In fact, I like Rabin-era Yes just fine.  Talk is excellent as well.  Big Generator is okay. Union stinks though, even more so than Open Your Eyes.

I like 90125 and Talk way more than I like Keystudio, and that's saying something.

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 15:31
Also, in answer to the actual thread question, 90125 is not the most underrated.  That distinction belongs to either Time and a Word or The Ladder.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 15:47
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Well, it's certainly not underrated here. I love it, and think it is a true highlight of the band's career.

However, there are people who think that anything that remotely smells like a commercial song, let alone sounds like one, is automatically a bad thing. It isn't, but it's probably best to ignore the snipers and carry on enjoying. 

Agree...totally not under rated here. It is a great album released during the 80's where most rock music was in some kind of transformation period.
Punk, new wave was taking all the cash. In those days commercial albums were paying the money, so why does anyone have a problem with Yes taking a piece of that pie? They deserved the commercial success (paycheck) that 90125 gave them and hoards of new fans from huge FM radio play.

To me when a band has a mainstream succesful album such as 90125, it makes new fans dig into the older catalog and discover their beginings.
To me its one of Yes's most complete albums musically, only the Yes Album comes close.

-------------

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: May 16 2011 at 18:07
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

So Close To The Edge and Relayer were pieces of sh*t then?
No, far from it, but it was a downward slope. Fragile was as good as it got (IMO).

Date Posted: May 17 2011 at 01:00

Also, in answer to the actual thread question, 90125 is not the most underrated.  That distinction belongs to either Time and a Word or The Ladder.

Your avatar frightens me, badly!  However, I must say that I'm quite impressed with your opinion. 

I would have guessed "Tormato" as most underrated, but it seems to get quite a bit of appreciation on this forum.   Good point regarding TAAW and The Ladder!  

Date Posted: May 17 2011 at 01:07
Haven't heard Talk and didn't like Time and a Word so much, don't know why. But if we go strictly by the ratings here or on the more general rateyourmusic.com, Time and a Word is ranked higher anyway than 90125. But on rym, 90125 touches 3.38 as compared to Drama's 3.56, which is much closer to what my own rankings would be for both albums (a near-4 for 90125 and sub-3.5 for Drama). On rym too, Time and a Word is rated higher than 90125, though the margin again is narrower.

Posted By: esky
Date Posted: May 17 2011 at 10:11
I don't know about underrated, but I can chance a guess that it is perhaps their worst.

Date Posted: May 17 2011 at 10:13
Originally posted by esky esky wrote:

I don't know about underrated, but I can chance a guess that it is perhaps their worst.

Eh, Big Generator is comfortably much worse than it.

Date Posted: May 17 2011 at 13:24

Eh, Big Generator is comfortably much worse than it.

Not to mention "Onion," errrr....."Union."  

Great live show, though!  

Date Posted: May 17 2011 at 16:01
Yes Tongue
I like referring to it as 90210...

-------------

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: May 17 2011 at 16:35
I think it's a good album though i haven't been listening to it for a few years , maybe the problem is that  OWNER has been to much broadcasted , Big Generator has a few high times too

Date Posted: May 17 2011 at 22:15

Yes TongueI like referring to it as 90210...

Me too.

Posted By: RoyFairbank
Date Posted: May 22 2011 at 18:10
90125 is one of the truly great albums of the 80s, though in a Yes-y vein (you sure as hell ain't gettin' any great philosophical insight or even coherent themes).

Owner Of A Lonely is just perfect, and there is not a song on the album which does not work out. Some of the lesser-known songs I've always liked a lot too, like City Of Love

Err-ERRRR, err-ERRR, City of Love, City of Love, City Of Love!

Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 11:00
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

90125 is one of the truly great albums of the 80s, though in a Yes-y vein (you sure as hell ain't gettin' any great philosophical insight or even coherent themes).

Owner Of A Lonely is just perfect, and there is not a song on the album which does not work out. Some of the lesser-known songs I've always liked a lot too, like City Of Love

Err-ERRRR, err-ERRR, City of Love, City of Love, City Of Love!
What do you mean by "just perfect"?

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 15:05
Union is obviously the most underrated.  Half of it is very good.

-------------

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 15:23

Like it or not, 90125 is the main influence on the new Yes album, along with CTTE (apparently it's like a cross between the two).

And as if that aint enough 80's pop for ya'............ Rabin + Anderson + Wakeman is obviously gonna sound a bit like it!

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 15:33
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

The point is, all of it should be very good while it is being overlooked. Half ain't gonna' cut it.

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 19:32
The debut is obviously the most underrated Yes album.

-------------

Posted By: harpagroom
Date Posted: May 24 2011 at 07:29
I don't really dig why people tend to hail 90125 a pop(ular) stuff. It does contain some wonderful hooks as Rogerthat puts it. A real youthful, freshy, exciting listening almost all through. The meaning of "progressive" has been changing through time: in  the late 60s / 70s it was long, complex, philosophical tracks mingling with jazz, like Formentera Lady, Supper's Ready and Close To The Edge; in the 80s it was shorter gags and songs with more discipline (!) and abstract power (Peter Gabriel, Laurie Anderson) mingling with the new wave, now it is also Mars Volta and DJ Krush in a way.
And by the way, some pre-90125 Yes pieces like Turn of the Century are not popular and twee..? Dear 70s-fans, just listen to the brilliant, crazy, provocative Mr. Rabin guitar solo on Owner of a Lonely Heart!!!
P.S. Can anybody tell me what the hell is AOR influence? I love abbreviations!

Approve

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: May 24 2011 at 07:32
Originally posted by harpagroom harpagroom wrote:

I don't really dig why people tend to hail 90125 a pop(ular) stuff. It does contain some wonderful hooks as Rogerthat puts it. A real youthful, freshy, exciting listening almost all through. The meaning of "progressive" has been changing through time: in  the late 60s / 70s it was long, complex, philosophical tracks mingling with jazz, like Formentera Lady, Supper's Ready and Close To The Edge; in the 80s it was shorter gags and songs with more discipline (!) and abstract power (Peter Gabriel, Laurie Anderson) mingling with the new wave, now it is also Mars Volta and DJ Krush in a way.
And by the way, some pre-90125 Yes pieces like Turn of the Century are not popular and twee..? Dear 70s-fans, just listen to the brilliant, crazy, provocative Mr. Rabin guitar solo on Owner of a Lonely Heart!!!
P.S. Can anybody tell me what the hell is AOR influence? I love abbreviations!

Approve

influence from adults which are oriented towards rock, and rock that most obvous atract only adult listeners, vry few kids will wnjoy lisning to it becouse it is to adulted,and mature.

no funn games just serious and sofisticated

-------------

Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: May 24 2011 at 08:16
It's too popish. Not a lot of prog in this album. It's not bad but not proggie enough for Yes.

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: May 24 2011 at 08:38
It was my first YES album and I worked my way back to their 70s material from there. Great albums in the 70s bury 90125 but it still holds up as a radio friendly gem.

-------------

Posted By: freyacat
Date Posted: May 26 2011 at 10:09
I look at 90125 as being precisely the right response to the times.  The audience had changed, and the whole culture was trying to move on from the sixties and seventies.  So, the aesthetic was hyper-modern and minimalistic, the musicians cut their hair all spiky, and everyone was wearing pseudo-military breakdancer clothing.

Yes proved that the same spirit and vision could be embodied inside the conventions of the 80's.  If I somehow believe that the mellow 70's should have gone on for another 10 years, then I am filled with the inconsolable longing for impossible things.  But "Close to the Edge" was never coming again, and in it's context, Yes showed themselves to be just as relevant as Survivor and Duran Duran.

The video for "Owner of a Lonely Heart" brilliantly illustrates the theory behind the album, actually, with the protagonist struggling within the confines of a black-and-white authoritarian regime to break free and fly.  The only way to do it is to jump over the edge!

The real mistake came later on, when Yes attempted to repeat this formula in the 90's.  When the electric dreams of the 80's proved just as ephemeral as the hippie utopia of the 70's, the culture was adrift, and musicians still trying to prop up the discredited beast called popular music brought well-deserved scorn upon themselves.

In short, the 80's were a time to pretend to be something other than yourself.  Yes and Genesis and King Crimson did so, quite artfully.  But when the 90's came, anything that smelled even faintly of inauthenticity was brutally dismissed.

-------------
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time

Date Posted: May 26 2011 at 12:03
Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

The real mistake came later on, when Yes attempted to repeat this formula in the 90's.  When the electric dreams of the 80's proved just as ephemeral as the hippie utopia of the 70's, the culture was adrift, and musicians still trying to prop up the discredited beast called popular music brought well-deserved scorn upon themselves.

In short, the 80's were a time to pretend to be something other than yourself.  Yes and Genesis and King Crimson did so, quite artfully.  But when the 90's came, anything that smelled even faintly of inauthenticity was brutally dismissed.

This is not strictly pertinent to the topic but at what point does being authentic also begin to make for boring and somewhat lifeless music?  There's an element of playing a part and of suspension of logic in a lot of art.  It is necessary sometimes if you want the music to grab you and shake you up because the reality you inhabit is quite evidently not so stirring as to constantly shock you and excite you. Carefully studied approximations of reality are not going to interest a lot of people at the end of day because art is not a left brained pursuit for all constituents of its audience.

To that end, I always felt the 70s were much, much livelier than the 90s and I am now beginning to question the 'conventional wisdom' that the 90s were better than the 80s. I am trying to think of a blockbuster pop equivalent of Purple Rain from the 90s and have so far drawn a blank.  If anything, the 90s reinforced the wholly artificial distinction between high art and low art and worse still made this divide well entrenched in popular music forms like rock.  And as I referred to earlier, the pursuit of authenticity only led to a cynical dismissal of eminently apt modes of expression and robbed a good deal of life out of music.  Of course, there were still plenty, plenty great albums from the 90s and I too count many 90s albums amongst my favourites.     

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: May 26 2011 at 12:45

Second the motion.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: May 27 2011 at 05:57
It's hard to underrate an album that gets trampled on enough anyways. Tongue
Apart from that it's a great album in its own right and only loses out when compared to previous albums. Quite unfair, really.
I always have the feeling that later Yes albums are all treated as the inferior b-sides of CttE.

Posted By: ProgBob
Date Posted: May 27 2011 at 06:52
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

It's too popish. Not a lot of prog in this album. It's not bad but not proggie enough for Yes.

I don't necessarily buy this pop is bad, rock is good attitude.  There is good pop and bad rock.  The real problem with 90125 is more specifically that there is too much AOR influence and that's one genre I really cannot stomach.

-------------
Bob

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: May 27 2011 at 09:51
I do think it is the most underrated Yes - album. I think 90125 is quite brilliant, een though it's not as "progressive" as the '70's albums. I think it's more underrated than the first two Yes albums, which are also fantastic, but those albums get a higher rating than 90125.

Date Posted: May 27 2011 at 10:42
the only problem I have with this record is that it wasn't quite disco enough.

-------------

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: May 28 2011 at 19:27

Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

The point is, all of it should be very good while it is being overlooked. Half ain't gonna' cut it.
Half of it being very good is quite enough to make it the most underrated Yes album, given the general opinion of the work.

-------------

Posted By: N-sz
Date Posted: May 29 2011 at 16:02
If someone were to describe it basically to me:
80s, dance music, disco, etc. I would say, "no thanks", and would be pretty much sure that I wouldn't like it.
However, I heard two songs from it on a compilation cd, and despite being all of those things that I don't like and is undeniably cheesy, I say that it is undeniably creative too!
I hardly even know what disco is, but my guess is that 90125 is about as progressive and disco can be.

Date Posted: May 30 2011 at 05:13
Originally posted by N-sz N-sz wrote:

80s, dance music, disco, etc. I would say, "no thanks", and would be pretty much sure that I wouldn't like it.
However, I heard two songs from it on a compilation cd, and despite being all of those things that I don't like and is undeniably cheesy, I say that it is undeniably creative too!
I hardly even know what disco is, but my guess is that 90125 is about as progressive and disco can be.

90125 bears as much relation to disco as I do to a sexy supermodel.

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: May 30 2011 at 08:38

90125 bears as much relation to disco as I do to a sexy supermodel.

I think the disco link is there because Jon Anderson sings "move yourself; you are the steps you take" in Owner Of A Lonely Heart LOL
Just joking, as was Vibrationbaby who brought up the disco thing, I think.
I do think Steve Howe is at least right for some part when he says that the emphasis on '70's Yes was melody, and the emphasis of '80's Yes was rhythm. He's not completely right, but not completely wrong, too.

Posted By: N-sz
Date Posted: May 30 2011 at 09:00
Originally posted by N-sz<div>I hardly even know what disco is</div>[/QUOTE N-sz
I hardly even know what disco is
[/QUOTE wrote:

Oh, well then I was right when I said this haha
Oh, well then I was right when I said this haha.
Ya know what I was getting at anyways. They took a style that I don't like and made it great.
Unless you are a sexy supermodel, lazland.

Date Posted: May 30 2011 at 12:15

Originally posted by N-sz<div>I hardly even know what disco is</div></td></tr></table>
<div><br></div><div>Unless you <b>are </b>a sexy supermodel, lazland.</div>
[/QUOTE N-sz
I hardly even know what disco is

Unless you are a sexy supermodel, lazland.
[/QUOTE wrote:

My wife certainly thinks that I SHOULD be!!Smile

My wife certainly thinks that I SHOULD be!!Smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2011 at 14:34
Upon careful consideration, I actually believe that "Fragile" may be the most under-rated Yes album.  The thing is amazing, yet usually gets passed up in discussions for CTTE and TFTO.  

"South Side of the Sky"....whew!!  This is the album where Yes really threw out the stops for the first time.  

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: May 30 2011 at 17:21

Upon careful consideration, I actually believe that "Fragile" may be the most under-rated Yes album.  The thing is amazing, yet usually gets passed up in discussions for CTTE and TFTO.  

"South Side of the Sky"....whew!!  This is the album where Yes really threw out the stops for the first time.  

Couldn't agree more! South Side Of The Sky introduced Yes to me and guided me to prog music. Just love that album!

Date Posted: May 30 2011 at 22:53
I too love Fragile and South Side of the Sky. It's my favourite Yes ablum along with CttE. Fragile get's somwhat bashed because of the "solo" cuts, but I don't really find them so annoying. Wakeman's bit isn't great, but it isn't terrible either, and it's short enough not to bother (but certainly, he could have done much better than that and elevate Fragile even higher); We have Heaven, well, I actually like it, and it's even shorter than Wakeman's bit; Five Percent for nothing, well, for me that's pretty terrible, but half a minute, that doesn't do any harm to the album at all; The Fish is actually great, as far as I'm concerned, and for me Long Distance runaround isn't complete without that other song following it; and Mood for a day is actually a really cool piece of acoustic guitar playing.

Posted By: Serge Lenkoff
Date Posted: May 31 2011 at 14:15

Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

This is not strictly pertinent to the topic but at what point does being authentic also begin to make for boring and somewhat lifeless music?  There's an element of playing a part and of suspension of logic in a lot of art.  It is necessary sometimes if you want the music to grab you and shake you up because the reality you inhabit is quite evidently not so stirring as to constantly shock you and excite you. Carefully studied approximations of reality are not going to interest a lot of people at the end of day because art is not a left brained pursuit for all constituents of its audience.

To that end, I always felt the 70s were much, much livelier than the 90s and I am now beginning to question the 'conventional wisdom' that the 90s were better than the 80s. I am trying to think of a blockbuster pop equivalent of Purple Rain from the 90s and have so far drawn a blank.  If anything, the 90s reinforced the wholly artificial distinction between high art and low art and worse still made this divide well entrenched in popular music forms like rock.  And as I referred to earlier, the pursuit of authenticity only led to a cynical dismissal of eminently apt modes of expression and robbed a good deal of life out of music.  Of course, there were still plenty, plenty great albums from the 90s and I too count many 90s albums amongst my favourites.     

Wise words. Truely - what was mainstream formula of sound which Yes could theoretically apply to their music in the 90s?
Nirvana? Prodigy? Spice Girls? Metallica?
There were melting of mainsream to many-many-many short streams, which ended up in our times lethal crisis of music industry.
Neoprog? But Yes is the prog.
So I think that they were right in 90s.
As to album - it's overrated if you are knew all Yes discography - there were much more impressive albums.
It's underrated if you are too deep in 70s Yes, cause there were impressive songs on 90125 - riffs in "Owner", vioce play in "Leave It"... This music could bring joy to art- prog-rock fan.
And it's correctly noted - for many listeners 90125 opened the world of Yes.
As example for me the same thing did "Union".

Posted By: fxdregs
Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 21:48
Very good record, some great rockin moments.
And maybe the more rock than traditional prog moments on the record didn't do it a lot of favors with some long time Yes fans.
Will it go down as one of the greatest in Yes history?
Maybe not. Glad it's there though. It kind of breathed some different life into the band.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 23:59
I think 9012 the solo's, is way more underrated, its almost never mentioned, and it was infact a fine live album.  

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 07 2011 at 00:04
I think Big Generator is - and I hate it with a vengeance.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 07 2011 at 05:35
Underrated??? LOLLOLLOLLOL

Look, it's got an average rating of three stars which is entirely appropriaterated.

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 15:23

appropriaterated

LOL

Seriously, next to the KTA material, 90125 does happen to be the post-Drama Yes album I like the most.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 15:31

here is a regrettable example :

Originally posted by slaughternalia slaughternalia wrote:

Personally, I don't like it at all, along with 80s Rush.

Thumbs Down 80's Rush is fabulous by the way...

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 15:33
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think Big Generator is - and I love it with a passion.

Yeap.

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 16:26
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

here is a regrettable example :

Originally posted by slaughternalia slaughternalia wrote:

Personally, I don't like it at all, along with 80s Rush.

Thumbs Down 80's Rush is fabulous by the way...

You are doing exactly the same thing you are strawmanning others as.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 15:43
I love all the yes have done. My less favorite albums are Relayer, Drama and Big Generator but I really love 90125, one of the few more than just listenable albums of the bloody 80s.
It seems underrated because there are many proggers and also old Yes fans who hate it. 

For me it's a great album. (but I like Union, too)

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 16:59
Absurd thread.

Posted By: Navegador
Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 17:36

Going For The One is the Yes album that doesn't get the love it deserves

That.

Posted By: Jake Kobrin
Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 19:51

90125 was immensely popular and I certainly wouldn't call it underrated. Personally, I don't like it at all, along with 80s Rush. Going For The One is the Yes album that doesn't get the love it deserves

This. 

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Neil-Kobrin/244687105562746" rel="nofollow - SUPPORT MY FATHER AND BECOME A FAN

Jacob Kobrin Illustration

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 20:03
Don't know what is wrong with 80's Rush. Besides producing Moving Pictures, it also has Hold Your Fire and Signals.

All of which are great albums. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 12 2011 at 18:25
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Don't know what is wrong with 80's Rush. Besides producing Moving Pictures, it also has Hold Your Fire and Signals.

All of which are great albums. 

Grace Under Pressure is incredible! One of my favorites. Couldn't do without it.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: August 13 2011 at 13:06
Hideous album, IMHO. And I agree with that Going for the one is album which doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Another albums which are underated are their first album, Yesshows, Drama and Talk - all of which are better than 90125!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: August 13 2011 at 22:59
I always found Tormato to be their most underrated album.  I saw the Tormato tour, and it
was great.  I've never stopped liking that album.

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: leonalvarado
Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 10:53
Is 90125 underrated?
I think not. It hasn't hold as well as some of the classics because it was too much of a pop album from its time. The song Cinema held up well but that's because it was composed when the band's intentions still were to do progressive music. All of the fans that "grew up" with that version of Yes will disagree with me on that but, most of us who were around for "Close To The Edge" forth know a more adventurous brand of Yes.

90125 is a good pop album with streaks of progressive but it is not an essential album to the Yes experience. As a matter of fact, it feels out of place in regards of the rest of the catalogue (same goes for Big Generator and most of Talk).

I will agree with brainstormer in the sense of Tormato being the most underrated album. It seems that 1978 was a straining year on progressive rock acts. Genesis came out with "...and then there were three.." which the band members dismiss today as one of their weakest (I tend to disagree. After all, they are the same band that came out with "Invisible Touch"). Tormato to me has the most incredible performances that Chris Squire has ever put on an album. "On the Silent Wings of Freedom" has to be one of the best instrumental moments the band has ever had.

Perhaps the conditions from which the album was produced weren't the best and most fun. Band's will tend to relate those experiences to what they think of their albums. I know that was the case with Genesis' ATTWT. Phil often speaks as how much he disliked the album but in reality it is a good album its weakest piece happens to be their first big hit ever ("Follow You, Follow Me"). I think they actually did a great job considering they just lost a huge contributor (Steve Hackett).

The members of Yes don't have a great recollection of the recording sessions for Tormato. Given that, plus the fact that the music tastes were changing in favour of punk and more of a techno sound, Tormato never had the chance it deserved at the time. However, in time the album went platinum which is not easy for an album that wasn't really a commercial piece to begin with.

90215 was Yes more commercial effort ever as it shows by its sales (triple platinum). The downside of it comes not from the sales but from the way the music held with time. To me, it is a reminder when MTV played music. Catchy tunes that are almost danceable. Something reminiscent of radio and people not really familiar with the music from Yes' illustrious past.

The album was a reflection of the industry at the time. It wasn't too soon after when JethroTull came out with "A", a synth-heavy version of the band. Yes and Genesis found new life at the time in doing pop music. Genesis was able to keep it up until almost the end whilst Yes pop stint lasted for a couple of albums before they resorted to go back into a less radio-friendly format.

If there is one thing that's very wrong with Yes, it is that for the last thirty or so years, they have seen themselves as a business more than a band. Therefore, business-like decisions are made which aren't necessarily the best thing for their creativity. Hence, no more Jon, no more Rick and not even Oliver (whom I really liked filling his dad's shoes).

Trevor Rabin came in and went out of Yes as a business decision. These decisions are made to the benefit of the band's income but, as it happens with anything artistic, emotional inspiration is the real driver and motivator and when that is gone, you loose something big. 90125 made the band the biggest monetary payoff they had ever seen but, when people talk about Yes, they still talk about "Close To The Edge' or "Roundabaout" and both are world's apart from "Owner Of A Lonely Heart".

That's my two cents anyway.

Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 11:03
Originally posted by leonalvarado leonalvarado wrote:

Is 90125 underrated?

Trevor Rabin came in and went out of Yes as a business decision. These decisions are made to the benefit of the band's income but, as it happens with anything artistic, emotional inspiration is the real driver and motivator and when that is gone, you loose something big. 90125 made the band the biggest monetary payoff they had ever seen but, when people talk about Yes, they still talk about "Close To The Edge' or "Roundabaout" and both are world's apart from "Owner Of A Lonely Heart".

I'm sorry, but he didn't, and that is actually far from the truth. Rabin actually joined Chris Squire, following the decision by the latter to disband Yes when he didn't like the direction Downes & Horn were taking them in, and the idea was to form an outfit by the name of Cinema, featuring Squire, Rabin, and White.

It was only when Atlantic suggested that Anderson might want to be involved with the project that it was called Yes. 

Also, Rabin is on record many times as saying he wished it had stayed as Cinema, not called Yes. 

-------------

Posted By: leonalvarado
Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 17:18

Originally posted by leonalvarado leonalvarado wrote:

Is 90125 underrated?

I'm sorry, but he didn't, and that is actually far from the truth. Rabin actually joined Chris Squire, following the decision by the latter to disband Yes when he didn't like the direction Downes & Horn were taking them in, and the idea was to form an outfit by the name of Cinema, featuring Squire, Rabin, and White.

It was only when Atlantic suggested that Anderson might want to be involved with the project that it was called Yes. 

Also, Rabin is on record many times as saying he wished it had stayed as Cinema, not called Yes. 

And why do you think Atlantic "suggested" that hey called the project Yes? Far from the truth? I don't think so. The band wasn't called Cinema after all. Rabin was supposed to be the new lead singer until management objected to it. Isn't management the business branch of a band? The whole reason that the name Cinema was dropped was because it didn't make good business sense not to capitalise the leverage from the Yes brand. Also, Yes didn't split because of the direction that Downes and Horn were taking them. As a matter of fact, that's exactly the direction they've taken today. They split up because Trevor Horn didn't want to be in a band any longer he took a turn in his career to become a very well known record producer. That was the catalyst for the band's disintegration at the time. So, as you see, my statement is not only far from the truth but closer to it than what the popular version may be (whatever that is).

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: August 15 2011 at 07:14
Possibly. There are worse in my opinion.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk