Print Page | Close Window

Rush vs Led Zeppelin

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78496
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 09:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rush vs Led Zeppelin
Posted By: Dellinger
Subject: Rush vs Led Zeppelin
Date Posted: May 22 2011 at 21:07
OK, Rush is a very well apreciated band here in PA. I just got my first album from them (moving pictures), and found them to be hard rock in a big measure, which made me compare tham a bit to Led Zeppelin. I still don't know enough Rush to vote myself, but I'm curious about what will you say.

Replies:
Posted By: clarkpegasus4001
Date Posted: May 22 2011 at 22:00
I'll avoid voting on this one! I like em' both

-------------
Tony C.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: May 22 2011 at 22:05

I like Rush more, though Zeppelin is great too.

Also i hope you enjoy discovering more Rush albums.

Posted By: Mushroom Sword
Date Posted: May 22 2011 at 22:05
Both are in my all time top 3, (Zep, Rush, Floyd), but I grew up on Rush. If this poll wasn't on PA I'd have a harder time choosing.

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: May 22 2011 at 22:20
They're both pretty terrible, but Rush.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 22 2011 at 22:21
Zeppelin is one of the 4 or 5 greatest rock bands of all time. Rush is not even in the equation.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 00:45
Definitely Zeppelin!

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 01:00
Difficult choice, seeing as Rush started out as a Zeppelin clone.  I appreciate the influence Led Zeppelin had on Rush, but I like Rush more and listen to their music regularly.  Can't say the same for Zeppelin, so my vote goes to Rush.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 02:51
Rush by a few noselengths.

-------------

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 10:37
I have always thought in the back of my mind...
Cheese and onions
I have always thought that the world was unkind...
Cheese and Onions
Do I have to spell it out?
C-H-E-E-S-E-A-N-D-O-N-I-O-N-S oh no...

I'd take Led Zeppelin over Rush, but not because Rush sucks and Led Zeppelin is perfect or anything. We could blabber for hours about why I plain don't care for the former, and only mildly enjoy the latter. (I'm speaking in terms of full albums, not single songs. I'm not the hardass I make myself out to be).

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 11:43
Both are overrated within the respective demographic of rock listeners they appeal to but I loved Rush from the get go and LZ has generally been hit or miss, so I'll vote for Rush.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:39
Led Zep.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Rush77
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:42
R U S H

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 13:46
Deep Purple.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 14:02
Rush, but quite along way.

Zep are good too though. Rush just have a more interesting and varied catalogue.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 14:51
Zeppelin are a blues band with severe attitude! And I love that about them, they took a song like Gallows Pole and made it their own.
I would have liked more No Quarter, The Rain Song, Achilles Last Stand and Kashmir style songs from Zeppelin.

So much Zeppelin, Cream and The Who on the Rush debut album...Then Neil came along and they found their calling for sometime. They still play hard but with more finess than Zeppelin did after 4-5 albums as compared to Rush's first 4-5 albums.

Rush for me.

-------------

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 15:32
Originally posted by clarkpegasus4001 clarkpegasus4001 wrote:

I'll avoid voting on this one! I like em' both
Agreed.  No vote here.

-------------

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: May 24 2011 at 13:13
Rush by a MILE.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: Guzzman
Date Posted: May 25 2011 at 06:40
Led Zeppelin by far.

-------------
"We've got to get in to get out"

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: May 26 2011 at 17:51
Embarrassing as a contest, Led Zeppelin easily because of the street cred and authenticity. It's not Rush's fault that they're new (ish), but that's how the cookie crumbles. Actually, I don't like the comparison, it's not really fair to Rush.

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: May 28 2011 at 04:05
Although Zep is a great band with histoirc importance and I own the majority of their albums I do not often feel like listening to them. Rush however is very often on my playlist.

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: May 28 2011 at 07:11
Rush!

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: Rush77
Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 21:22
I vote Rush but the votes are at 21 to 12 so im not gonna change that Thumbs Up

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: June 13 2011 at 09:30
Nope

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: June 13 2011 at 09:47
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

They're both pretty terrible, but Rush.

Rush is just one of the main three prog influences to Dream Theater, the other two is Yes and Kansas, (and some Queen, Uriah Heep and Floyd)

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 21:00
Rush.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 12:24
I'm not a big fan of either.  I despise poppy music and generic rock music, and these bands are the epitome of both.  I'm going to have to say LZ though.  Because there was a time when I know I loved them.  Same with Rush, but that time lasted about until I realised Hemispheres was the only thing they ever released that I cared about.  Now I couldn't care much less for either group.  Theres just so much non generic music out there that there's no reason to continue to listen to LZ just because they were popular.  The internet has made popular irrelevant. 

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: Megaman90
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 09:19
Both bands have a handful of good songs. Although I can't say I'm a real fan of Rush or Led Zeppelin.

I guess I choose not to decide, in which I still have made a choice. Darn.

Posted By: JeanFrame
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 09:56
I like Zeppelin a lot better than Rush. But I have to say that it seems to me that Rush are the genuine thing as far as being a Prog band is concerned. Can't say the same about Led Zeppelin. A great band, but not at all Prog.

Posted By: EchidnasArf
Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 17:26
When I first read the thread title "Rush vs. Led Zeppelin", I laughed. Then I opened up the thread to see that Rush is beating Zep 24 to 21! I thought it would be a landslide in favor of Zep, and then I remembered where I was... Prog Archives! So, my point is that this is sort of a biased poll, seeing that Zep hasn't widely been regarded as a prog band, and Rush, some feel, is at the very peak of the prog-rock genre. Geddy Lee has always been like nails on a chalkboard for me. Zep kills Rush. = 2 cents.

On a sidenote, the guys of Rush (who are almost 60 now) named their most recent tour the "Time Machine Tour". That's cute... or sad.

-------------
http://didyouseethosebats.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Did You See Those Bats? (a few songs from my band's live radio show)

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 11:36
Rush is PROG and its RUSH! Zeppelin is Prog Related and they never reached the kind of musicianship Rush has. Also Rush's lyrics I love, Zeppelin's I don't.

-------------

Posted By: trackstoni
Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 12:23
  Well , sorry Dellinger , i don't gamble anymore , but they're both Pioneers , and both my everyday cup of tea !

-------------
Tracking Tracks of Rock

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 14:21

Led Zeppelin. My first true music love.

Rush isn't half bad either though. Definitely growing on me, that's for sure.

-------------

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 14:43
The Zeps. As one would say, "At any time of day". So far I haven't heard a single Rush song that actually works for me (Maybe save for 'Limelight' ... maybe). I'm not much of a lyrical guy and the musicianship in Rush's canon tends to overshadow the value of melody and tone ... . Hey, that's what my ears told me ! Those bureaucrats !

P. S.: Yes, I've heard their classic records. So far it ain't working.

Posted By: spknoevl
Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 07:45
Considering that Rush started in playing Zep covers in the Toronto bars, this poll is pretty funny.  Really don't see a need to choose one over the other; they're both great bands who greatly influenced rock music.

-------------
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick

Posted By: resurrection
Date Posted: May 27 2012 at 00:59
Zeppelin every time for me, authenticity.

Posted By: N-sz
Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 15:40
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Led Zeppelin. My first true music love.

Same here! Rush is great too, but Led Zeppelin is very special to me.
I'm actually a bit surprised that they're so close on the polls. I was expecting more Rush votes.

-------------
https://blankspacerecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Blank Space Records

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 15:50
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

OK, Rush is a very well apreciated band here in PA. I just got my first album from them (moving pictures), and found them to be hard rock in a big measure, which made me compare tham a bit to Led Zeppelin. I still don't know enough Rush to vote myself, but I'm curious about what will you say.

You just got your first Rush album? Where the f**k did you get lost?

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 15:53
Rush got me into music. My parents are big fans so I've been listening to them all my life. Once I got on the internet, Rush led me to tons of other amazing and great bands. Rush is probobly may favorite band, so, even though I respect Led Zeplin and like some of thier music, Zeplin can f**k off.

-------------

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 15:56
Led Zeppelin Thumbs Up

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 16:31

I happen to love everything LZ have done, from start to finish, but i gotta vote Rush, they are the masters of the universe!

Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 16:45
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Rush got me into music. My parents are big fans so I've been listening to them all my life. Once I got on the internet, Rush led me to tons of other amazing and great bands. Rush is probobly may favorite band, so, even though I respect Led Zeplin and like some of thier music, Zeplin can f**k off.

That was ... harsh. Even if ... 

I respect Led Zeplin and like some of thier music ... .

Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 17:14
I hate 'em both. I guess I prefer LZ because they tended to possess themselves of a more exigent and immediate impact. 

I sometimes wish Alex Lifeson would've left the group in 1978 and joined Ace Frehley to play 1930's jazz-pop covers. Wouldn't that be neat?

Posted By: The Wrinkler
Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 17:57
I'm not really into Rush. Led Zeppelin is my non-prog fix, even if they are prog related.

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 18:30
I think Rush's victory here is chiefly due to this being a prog site. While I am a big Rush fan, the fact is that they have put out a pile of old tat here and there, not something you'd say about LZ.

Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 19:05
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

That was ... harsh. Even if ... 

I respect Led Zeplin and like some of thier music ... .

I meant, when comparing Zeplin to Rush, they can go f**k off, but concidering Zeplin by themselves or comparing them to a band not as epicly awesome as Rush, they're pretty good.

-------------

Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 21:46
I'm not a Lifeson fan, so I'll have to go Zeppelin. Achilles Last Stand is one of my all time favorite songs.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 01:11
Rush never made an album like Coda or In Through/Outdoor.....very non Led Zeppelinesque albums.

-------------

Posted By: nima1024
Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 14:34
Although it is not a correct comparison, because of genres, but I will go for Led Zeppelin.

Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 17:24

I'll go for Rush as I find Led Zeppelin too sloppy. Still Led Zeppelin got groove.

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 18:12
Actually, Rush ripped off Led Zeppelin for years before finally realizing that ripping off other bands took less effort. Not that Led Zeppelin were golden heroes. I'd rather listen to Metal Machine Music most days.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 07 2012 at 18:24

Well, it's been a while since I started the Thread, so by now I already have all albums from 2112 to Moving Pictures, except for Permanent Waves, which they sold at the store just before I got to buying it and haven't re-stocked it yet. I guess I'll have to end up buying in on Amazon or something. And, of course, I have found them great, but still I'm not sure I would put them above Zeppelin.

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: June 11 2012 at 03:50
No contest for me - Led Zeppelin by many miles!! 

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: TheWatcho
Date Posted: June 19 2012 at 20:30
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Actually, Rush ripped off Led Zeppelin for years before finally realizing that ripping off other bands took less effort. Not that Led Zeppelin were golden heroes. I'd rather listen to Metal Machine Music most days.

Being influenced it's quite different from ripping off, and speaking of "ripping off other bands", Led Zeppelin did quite well ripping off Joan Baez and Willie Dixon. 
I kinda like Zeppelin, but I think they're just an overrated dad rock band, and I seriously disrespect Plant and Page, because of the fact that they ripped off so much musicians in their so "important musical influence" to "today's rock", although, I respect Bonham and Jones, for bringing on the solid rhytms that made listenable Zeppelin for me.

'cause I'm obviously a fan, my vote would go to Rush (but I can't vote, maybe because I'm a newbie in the forum :P), they are a far more credible musical act.
After 40 years, they are still doing tight flawless live shows, and constantly making credible music, music that doesn't relies in their older glories. 

-------------
"And the meek shall inherit the earth"

Posted By: Glucose
Date Posted: June 20 2012 at 13:53
LZ are a long part of my life.

-------------
Under the rocks and stones,
there is water underground

Posted By: wjohnd
Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 02:29
my two favourite bands - but rush sneak in by a Geddy's nose because they are still producing music that i like whereas Zep haven't brought me anything new (that I really liked) since 1979.

-------------

Posted By: Ancient Tree
Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 02:50
they are booth great bands,but Zeppelin wins this round. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 03:13

^ There is no end to this poll ... but ... [shutting my eyes, stretching my arms out] I see ... a tie ... again ... .

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 04:20

LZ certainly deserve credit for pioneering and influencing a few genres in the late 60's and early 70's, and for providing inspiration for a number of great bands (including Rush). Their musicianship is outstanding. But, I never really liked LZ - neither in the 70's, nor now. 

To my progressive rock palate, there is a little too much of the rock n' roll and blues filler noise in the LZ music. Also importantly, LZ fizzled out a generation ago, whereas Rush's "horn of plenty" has continued to churn out top quality stuff for nearly 4 decades now.  

Some may disagree, but I think the Led Zeppelin folks attracted much publicity for the wrong reasons, like drug abuse, dabbling in the occult and drinking vodka for breakfast.   

Has to be Rush

Posted By: wjohnd
Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 13:41
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Some may disagree, but I think the Led Zeppelin folks attracted much publicity for the wrong reasons, like drug abuse, dabbling in the occult and drinking vodka for breakfast.   

Has to be Rush

That might have played a small part in the myth making 40 years ago, but they are remembered.. sometimes revered because of the quality of their music.
Physical Graffiti is probably my favourite album of all, so i am perhaps a little biased. That said I prefer Rush overall.

-------------

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 04:16

Said the guy who, at this point, hadn't even heard LZ IV. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

-------------

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 05:38

So far I haven't heard a single Rush song that actually works for me (Maybe save for 'Limelight' ... maybe).

Tom Sawyer is usually mentioned as "the other hummable one".

However, the true worshipers of Rush are said to be able to hum the 20 minutes of The Fountains of Lamneth, forwards and backwards. 

But seriously, compared side-by-side, I think the only category Zeppelin can claim victory in would be innovation, because they essentially co-fathered the whole genre of hard rock and heavy metal. At the same time Rush, while being enormously prolific and influential band, haven't really co-fathered anything I know of.  

In other categories Rush wins (in my book, anyway)

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 06:18
Respecting the fact that LZ were a main influence for Rush (and so many others), I find that the alumns have greatly surpassed their teachers.

Geddy has become a better bassist than JPJ (ok not a better keyboardist), Lifeson has become a better guitarist than Page and Peart has become a better drummer than Bonzo, and they have composed many more hours of great music than LZ ever did.

So Rush without a doubt.

I'm actually baffled that the poll result is being so even.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 06:29
Led Zeppelin

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 06:30
Originally posted by wjohnd wjohnd wrote:

my two favourite bands - but rush sneak in by a Geddy's nose because they are still producing music that i like whereas Zep haven't brought me anything new (that I really liked) since 1979.
ErmmSo you prefer Rush because John Bonham died?

-------------

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 06:54
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Respecting the fact that LZ were a main influence for Rush (and so many others), I find that the alumns have greatly surpassed their teachers.

Geddy has become a better bassist than JPJ (ok not a better keyboardist), Lifeson has become a better guitarist than Page and Peart has become a better drummer than Bonzo, and they have composed many more hours of great music than LZ ever did.

So Rush without a doubt.

I would even double-down on what you said: to a considerable degree, the Zeppelin's name recognition is linked, unfortunately, to what is nowadays politically-correctly called "controversies" (no such thing as bad publicity). Mention Led Zeppelin to a bunch of random people who grew up in '70s-80s and ask them what comes to their minds, and I guarantee, half of them will say either "Bonham, quaffing vodka for breakfast' or 'Sweet Satan, ever so cleverly backmasked in Stairway to Heaven' (wink, wink).  

At the same time, Rush is probably one the sanest and best-behaving bands in the world. No messy divorces. No drugs. No occult stuff. This means that 100% of Rush's fame has to have been earned by just making music, which is a great achievement. 

Posted By: Meta
Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 07:44
Led Zeppelin is probably the single most overrated band of all time. They're good, but they aren't that good. Too bluesy for my tastes for the most part. It's interesting that people are criticizing Rush for ripping off Zeppelin, but they quickly outgrew it and developed a purely original sound. Led Zep's plagarism of bluesmen was much more blatant and egregious. Zep were at their best when they strayed furthest from the blues and had a bit of a fantasy element in the compositions (Achilles, Kashmir, Immigrant Song, Ramble On, etc). Zep's lyrical content leaves much to be desired (Baybeh baybeh bayyybbehhhh). For me, this is a relatively easy Rush win.

-------------
http://www.heavymeta.net" rel="nofollow - Meta's Official Website

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 07:49
Oh yeah, I had forgotten to compare them in the lyrics department, I don't think there can be any argument here LOL

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 08:38

So Rush without a doubt.

I would even double-down on what you said: to a considerable degree, the Zeppelin's name recognition is linked, unfortunately, to what is nowadays politically-correctly called "controversies" (no such thing as bad publicity). Mention Led Zeppelin to a bunch of random people who grew up in '70s-80s and ask them what comes to their minds, and I guarantee, half of them will say either "Bonham, quaffing vodka for breakfast' or 'Sweet Satan, ever so cleverly backmasked in Stairway to Heaven' (wink, wink).  

At the same time, Rush is probably one the sanest and best-behaving bands in the world. No messy divorces. No drugs. No occult stuff. This means that 100% of Rush's fame has to have been earned by just making music, which is a great achievement. 

I believe this is the first time anyone has ever extolled the virtues of a rock band for getting Boy Scout badges for sobriety. Unless they're selling cookies door to door, who cares?

In addition, I would add that the album Led Zeppelin IV alone selling 32 million copies worldwide has relatively nothing to do with how much the band drank, backward masking or messy divorces, nor would any of that be the topic of discussion when their music is mentioned by folks such as me who listened to the albums when they were first released. Nearly every band partied their asses off in the late 60s/early 70s - it was not very shocking nor did anyone care except for Mary Whitehouse.  The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Morrison, Clapton, etc., were all stoned out of their gourds, but because there was very little media at the time (in comparison to today's Internet and 24 hour cable TV), one only got this type of information in brief glimpses, like when Keith Richards got arrested for heroin, or when a rock star overdosed, or when Jim Morrison exposed himself on stage, or when John Lennon had an interview (and you knew he was stoned!).

Mythology of legendary bands grew over time as the information was finally disseminated, or when Frank Zappa explained the "Mud Shark" in your mythology having to do with the bands Zeppelin and Vanilla Fudge, a groupie, and a sexual act with a fish. In Zeppelin's case, much of the sordid material was revealed when the book  Hammer of the Gods was published in 1985. The book was roundly criticized by the band for its distortions and rumor, and John Paul Jones stated, "It's a very sad little book. It made us out to be sad little people. He [the author] ruined a lot of good, funny stories. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_of_the_Gods_%28book%29#cite_note-8" rel="nofollow - "

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 10:24

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

[

I believe this is the first time anyone has ever extolled the virtues of a rock band for getting Boy Scout badges for sobriety. Unless they're selling cookies door to door, who cares?

In addition, I would add that the album Led Zeppelin IV alone selling 32 million copies worldwide has relatively nothing to do with how much the band drank, backward masking or messy divorces, nor would any of that be the topic of discussion when their music is mentioned by folks such as me who listened to the albums when they were first released. Nearly every band partied their asses off in the late 60s/early 70s - it was not very shocking nor did anyone care except for Mary Whitehouse.  The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Morrison, Clapton, etc., were all stoned out of their gourds, but because there was very little media at the time (in comparison to today's Internet and 24 hour cable TV), one only got this type of information in brief glimpses, like when Keith Richards got arrested for heroin, or when a rock star overdosed, or when Jim Morrison exposed himself on stage, or when John Lennon had an interview (and you knew he was stoned!).

I, actually, do care if someone is ruining their (and other people's) lives with alcohol and drug abuse. And so should you. You mention Hendrix and Morrison (and Bonham by implication) ... do you recall how they died? This is why you should care.

Now, there is this zombie apocrypha that a little "pharmaceutical assistance" may help enhance productivity, at least in some individuals. It might, or it might not.

In fact, long-term the stimulant vs. productivity formula could well work out the other way around - if someone develops let's say a caffeine habit (like many of us do), they may feel worn down and unable to concentrate for the sole reason that they haven't had their coffee for a while! And then the cup of coffee comes and miraculously fixes the problem that wouldn't exist without it in the first place. 

Did Liszt, Vivaldi or Bach had to snort or smoke funny stuff to create their body of work?

Also, for better or worse, celebrities are heroes and often role models to their fans; if you accept the worship and the $$$ from millions of admirers, you at the very least should assume responsibility for what your influence does to their lives.  

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 11:19
^ Ok, ... This is starting to veer into a substance abuse course. My vote wasn't based on merits like being clean and stuff; it was purely based on the impact, accessibility, and style. On the other hand, yes, Rush were clean and (relatively) haven't done much ripping off. Quite the trade-off there, eh? Well, guess what was more important to me? The music itself, so ...

... Gerinski, don't be so surprised that the score is so even. As you folks can see, LZ's reputation isn't battered enough for me to refuse'em a vote.

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 11:44

I, actually, do care if someone is ruining their (and other people's) lives with alcohol and drug abuse. And so should you. You mention Hendrix and Morrison (and Bonham by implication) ... do you recall how they died? This is why you should care.

Yes, I am well aware how they died, and it is very tragic. But I do not laud them for their drug abuse, nor do I care that Rush are as clean as four grandmothers drinking tea while playing bridge. The point I disagreed with was when you inferred that notoriety surrounding Zeppelin's partying somehow translated into record sales while Rush was successful on their music alone. That claim is specious at best.

Now, there is this zombie apocrypha that a little "pharmaceutical assistance" may help enhance productivity, at least in some individuals. It might, or it might not.

Some bands swore by it, like The Beatles, The Doors, The Stones and Floyd, while others like Tull and Rush eschewed drugs. I don't believe there is any empirical evidence to support the claim, but many of the greatest rock albums ever recorded were done under the influence - just as many sub-par performances were a result of it. But in regards to Zeppelin, please remember that John Bonham died of alcohol poisoning, not drugs. Which brings us to your next point:

Did Liszt, Vivaldi or Bach had to snort or smoke funny stuff to create their body of work?

Well, Mussorgsky drank himself to death by the age of 42 (going to extremes being a shared attribute of many Russian artists during that period as well), Beethoven was a notable drunk, and it is believed that Liszt's psychological problems stemmed from alcoholism. I do not know of the availability of pot or coke in previous centuries, but I do know that many classical composers or musicians were prone to sexual escapades that would have fit right in with any rock band (Hugo Wolf, Schubert and Scriabin had syphilis, and it is believed Mozart, Beethoven and Schumann did also). Alcohol was the drug of choice in earlier times, so let's not put classical composers on any pedestal unless it is an orchestral podium. LOL

Also, for better or worse, celebrities are heroes and often role models to their fans; if you accept the worship and the $$$ from millions of admirers, you at the very least should assume responsibility for what your influence does to their lives.

Musician are human and prone to all sorts of enormities and socially unacceptable behavior, but the music itself is sublime. So enjoy the music, but don't worship at the altar of the musician. I don't think anyone should have to assume the responsibility of weak-minded fans, the sort that commit suicide because Ozzy Osbourne or Judas Priest "told them to" in a song. I didn't shoot up heroin because John Coltrane, Eric Clapton or Miles Davis did. Stupid people make stupid excuses for their own stupidity.

I enjoy reading the works of E.A. Poe (alcohol and opium), Brendan Behan (alcohol), Coleridge (laudanum), Baudelaire (laudanum), Capote (alcohol), F.S. Fitzgerald (alcohol), and Dylan Thomas (alcohol), but their addictions have nothing to do with my enjoyment of their literary works.

-------------

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 11:53
^Well saidClap

-------------

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 12:00
It is pretty obvious to me that both Brahms and Liszt had problems with the demon drink.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 12:08
^^^ In other words, drugs and alcohol make for considerably different effects, ... right?

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 12:28
No sorry.  'Brahms and Liszt' cockney rhyming slang - pissed or drunk.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 12:43

Gerinski, don't be so surprised that the score is so even. As you folks can see, LZ's reputation isn't battered enough for me to refuse'em a vote.
Seeking some objectivity I checked the simple average rating of both bands studio albums (for Zep I mercifully excluded Coda), hoping to find a clearly higher average rating for Rush, but this was not the case

Zep     3.77
Rush  3.65

So still baffled Confused

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 13:10
^ I don't think that seeking objectivity is the way to think about music, let alone via math. Besides, I still don't understand what it is with people discussing Coda as some kind of an official studio album. It's just a compilation of studio outtakes, nothing more. It's nothing serious, so the "album" doesn't count.

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 13:36
Led Zeppelin, although I do enjoy plenty of Rush tunes. 

Posted By: Sumdeus
Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 15:10
Gonna go with Zeppelin, just way more classic and enjoyable for me. I love Rush but the cheesy factor makes it hard for me to listen to too much of them

also lol at whoever brought up the drug stuff as if bands who are clean should somehow be respected more or inherently make better music.

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 15:38

Rush got me into music. My parents are big fans so I've been listening to them all my life. Once I got on the internet, Rush led me to tons of other amazing and great bands. Rush is my favorite band EVER so, even though I like Led Zeppelin, who have got some fantastic songs, when compared to Rush, Zeppelin can f**k off.

Edited a bit to reflect what I feel now.

-------------

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 15:57
^ Sorry, I don't feel much of a difference.

Posted By: mawgojzeta
Date Posted: December 19 2012 at 10:59
My choice would be Rush.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:01
RushHeadbanger

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Jonathan
Date Posted: December 24 2012 at 04:19
I pick Rush because at least they didn't write an offensive song like "Sick Again".

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 00:53
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

Gonna go with Zeppelin, just way more classic and enjoyable for me. I love Rush but the cheesy factor makes it hard for me to listen to too much of them

also lol at whoever brought up the drug stuff as if bands who are clean should somehow be respected more or inherently make better music.

cheese factor like Whole Lotta Love isn't cheesyUnhappyUnhappy

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 00:54

^ Sorry, I don't feel much of a difference.

cuz you're stupidWink

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 01:28
^ This guy is seriously taking advantage of the lack of check on the forum.

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 02:25
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Robert Plant can be a bit cheesy at times but not nearly to the extent that Rush is.

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 02:27

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Robert Plant can be a bit cheesy at times but not nearly to the extent that Rush is.

no, it doesn't get any cheesier than "I can't quit you baby", or "baby babay baby" anything involving babe with that guy

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 02:30

^ This guy is seriously taking advantage of the lack of check on the forum.

your right since both bands are no where near prog territory

Led Zeppelin= thiefs

while Rush =music for morons

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 02:31
I don't consider music about love to be cheesier than Geddy Lee.

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 02:39
^ Don't go down to his level.

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 02:42
I'm not, I don't equate cheesiness with being bad. A lot of cheesy things are terrible, yes, but a good amount of stuff I like i still consider cheesy. Rush, Genesis, Ozric Tentacles... a lot of power metal and heavy metal. Just cause I like something doesn't mean I won't pretend it's not cheesy, and Geddy Lee is one of the cheesiest vocalists I can think of.

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 02:43

I don't consider music about love to be cheesier than Geddy Lee.

Geddy Lee is the man, he's not cheesy but people have their opinions like you do too

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 02:50

^ Don't go down to his level.

oh like you're superior, i'm gonna kiss your ass then,  "Robert Fripp is god, listen to his unbelievable Frippertronics, how outstanding"ClapClapClap

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 02:52
LOL

Stern Smile

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 03:05
^ Now you see what I'm talking about?

Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 03:11
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

LOL

Stern Smile

well he's practically implying that he is

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 11 2013 at 03:18
he's just a 'friendly' troll, he'll either decide to start having intelligent debates or he'll get a warning from Admin ... no biggie

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk