Print Page | Close Window

Opeth - Heritage | Opeth's 2nd non-metal album!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78769
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 08:14
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Opeth - Heritage | Opeth's 2nd non-metal album!
Posted By: Jake Kobrin
Subject: Opeth - Heritage | Opeth's 2nd non-metal album!
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 15:05
Some info about Opeth's new album:

-It was played in 5.1 surround system and according to the writer the mix was good although he's usually not a fan of playing rock in other than stereo format. Åkerfeldt himself said "I first heard the record today and I didn't know they were going to play it to the media in surround. I had my doubts, but the end-result made me have goose bumps"

-It's about 56 minutes long.

-Draws to mind Sabbath, Beatles, jazz, King Crimson, Cream, Rainbow, Floyd, funk, Purple, Piirpauke, classical, My Dying Bride, folk, Love, Jethro Tull, Maiden…

-No death metal parts or growling

-No modern style of "wall of guitar tracks".

-Lots of keys, piano and mellotron are featured. Some intros include clarinet and contrabass.

- "We aren't concerned about other people's opinions", Åkerfeldt stated. "If fans of death metal can't enjoy this, that's their problem"

The band leader also said that he had grown tired of extreme metal already in the 90s, but couldn't explain why the previous record still included death growls.

"I have wanted to make a record like this since I was 20", Åkerfeldt said and added that making it would not have been possible without the metal roots that brought them success.

The journalist also says: "In any case, some metal fans will have troule with Heritage, but if your hopes are more in the 70s, this album can only work. This is probably safe to assume after a single listen. 

The first 7 songs are insanely good, the other 3 a bit less so."

source:

http://www.inferno.fi/blogi-opeth-heritage-ilm-20-9-4914/" rel="nofollow - http://www.inferno.fi/blogi-opeth-heritage-ilm-20-9-4914/

Sweden's most revered and respected progressive metal mavens Opeth will release Heritage, their third album for Roadrunner, on September 20th. The first video and single will be the song "The Devil's Orchard". Heritage follows up 2008's Watershed and 2005's Ghost Reveries, each of which garnered the forward-thinking, genre-bending band some of the best reviews of their career. 

Opeth frontman and guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt weighed in on Heritage, saying: "It will be our 10th album/observation. I dig it; we all do. In fact, it feels like I've been building up to write for and participate on an album like this since I was 19."

Åkerfeldt went a little deeper and described the music contained within Heritage, saying: "It's quite intense at times in some 'old' murky way, and quite beautiful and stark at times, if I may say so myself. It's obvious I'm going to say nice things about it since I wrote basically the whole piece, but I guess it will raise a few eyebrows and it certainly is an acquired taste. I think you'll need a slightly deeper understanding of our music as a whole to be able to appreciate this record. I've realized my influences for this album are so diverse that I can't really say what it sounds like. If I can compare it to any other band, it would have to be Opeth, but it's different from the stuff we've done before. I've listened a lot to Alice Cooper for the last year, yet I can't say it sounds like 'No More Mr. Nice Guy'. I hope you'll like it once you hear it."

The album was produced by Åkerfeldt and mixed along with Porcupine Tree frontman/guitarist Steven Wilson, who is also a labelmate of Opeth. Longtime collaborator Travis Smith also worked with Åkerfeldt to create, design and execute the album's artwork.

Heritage tracklist: 

01. Heritage 
02. The Devil's Orchard
03. I Feel The Dark
04. Slither 
05. Nepenthe
06. Haxprocess 
07. Famine 
08. The Lines In My Hand 
09. Folklore 
10. Marrow Of The Earth

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Neil-Kobrin/244687105562746" rel="nofollow - SUPPORT MY FATHER AND BECOME A FAN

Jacob Kobrin Illustration

Replies:
Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 15:10
Sounds awesome, I look forward to hearing it

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 15:11
I'm really looking forward to hearing this!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 15:13
Looks and sounds pretty damn interesting, can't wait to hear the real thing.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 15:19
hmm, this definitely sounds interesting!

-------------

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 15:23
Hearing Watershed convinced me that Opeth were done. Maybe I'm wrong. This sounds like it could be fresh. Hopefully it's not another Damnation. 

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Jake Kobrin
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 15:31
Damnation didn't really sound like ANY of the bands they mentioned, so I'm guessing it will be much different. 

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Neil-Kobrin/244687105562746" rel="nofollow - SUPPORT MY FATHER AND BECOME A FAN

Jacob Kobrin Illustration

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 15:36
If it doesn't have growls, will be a incomplete album. Seriously, I wait to listen to it.

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 15:38
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Sounds awesome, I look forward to hearing it

Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 15:44
Originally posted by Jake Kobrin Jake Kobrin wrote:

Damnation didn't really sound like ANY of the bands they mentioned, so I'm guessing it will be much different. 

Albums never sound like the bands mentioned.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 15:56
sha-weeeeeeet

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: TheClosing
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 16:22
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Hearing Watershed convinced me that Opeth were done. Maybe I'm wrong. This sounds like it could be fresh. Hopefully it's not another Damnation. 

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 17:07

100% agreed

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 17:11
Color me intrigued.

/been into the 'peth since Morningrise

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: Purple_Floyd
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 17:26
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

If it doesn't have growls, will be a incomplete album. Seriously, I wait to listen to it.

Why? I fail to understand how an album could be imcomplete without growl, especially is it's a mellow album. Maybe you should try to listen to something else than extreme metal once in a while?

And Damnation is awesome. I can only applaud an artist that try to something different instead of being stagnant.

-------------

Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 17:55
I listen to many kinds of music. I don't have this problem. But for me a work is incomplete if it doesn't have the hate and the anger of death/black metal. 

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: adace1
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 17:58
So it'll be like Damnation pt.2? I'm cool with that. Damnation 1 was a near masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/adace/?chartstyle=lastfmblue">

Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 18:05
Originally posted by adace1 adace1 wrote:

So it'll be like Damnation pt.2? I'm cool with that. Damnation 1 was a near masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

Erm...sounds like it probably won't be.
I don't get this anyway. I love damnation, so why do some want another one?

I mean stick to what's good but if there is a great album why do so many of us, proggers which is ironic, want them emulated? I would hate a Damnation 2 because than I'd have to think "eh well this is good but why bother?" Almost like it would make me think of Damnation with some negativity attached to it.

Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 18:06

I listen to many kinds of music. I don't have this problem. But for me a work is incomplete if it doesn't have the hate and the anger of death/black metal. 

Yes, also I love the way you post. It's so damn metal, like you're always yelling LOL

Sadly, sounds like this will be incomplete for you...

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 18:11
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Yes, also I love the way you post. It's so damn metal, like you're always yelling LOL

Sadly, sounds like this will be incomplete for you...

Agreed.

-------------

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 18:16
Sounds OK- not too excited honestly. Thanks for posting this!

-------------

Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 18:17
I'm very open-minded in music. But I have some standards. 

-------------

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 18:25
While having Per's head swinging in the breeze is simultaneously tacky and hilarious, having an Opeth album that's full on prog sounds pretty friggin awesome to me. Damnation was intentionally "light" and this doesn't sound like that. Mikael is a known fan of Comus and I think if anyone can make something twisted and beautiful, it's Opeth.

We'll see...I'm stoked.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Posted By: mithrandir
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 18:47
Originally posted by Jake Kobrin Jake Kobrin wrote:

-No death metal parts or growling

wow, wasn't expecting that, but it makes me look forward to hearing it that much more,  I'm sure I'll like,

Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 19:03
"it certainly is an acquired taste"

RIO MASTERPIECE INCOMING

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 19:18
Sounds good! Although i don't really care for about 1/3 of the bands listed under the influences of this album, but still...all the other words make this sound quite nice. Glad to see them doing something they want to do rather than what the fans want/expect.

Certainly has been moved up in my anticipation queue.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 19:42
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Sounds OK- not too excited honestly. Thanks for posting this!

Ditto.

I listen to Opeth for heavy. If it aint heavy, I aint listening. There's a reason why the only album I don't have by them at the moment is Damnation. And YES, I have heard it before Tongue

Posted By: QuestionableScum
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 19:49
This sounds like it will be good. It seems to me that Opeth have exhausted their metal vocabulary, and were having difficulty reaching the intensity they had on Still Life/Blackwater Park on their last  record. This is not to say that Watershed was bad, but it seemed to me that while on that record they had changed the sort of metal guitar work they used, it seemed to me to be very meh. Thus, I hope that Akerfeldt has reached a place where he knows that if he is not writing top quality metal, but is writing top quality prog rock, start making prog rock. The proggy elements of the last two Opeth records are what I have loved most, where the metal elements have seemed good, but derivative and underwhelming at best.

Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 19:51
But Watershed isn't good either. The best songs were Heir Apparent and Lotus Eater. Burden and Coil bored the hell out of me - but so did the second half of that album.

Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 19:55
I love Coil, Hessian Peel, and Lotus Eaters. Heir Apparent's best parts are the proggy stuff in the middle / late. Porcelain Heart and Burden were boring, but I think this could be quite good.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 19:56
Well... on the bright side - maybe this album will bomb and the band's next (in 2014) will be an amazing "return to form".

Posted By: TheClosing
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 20:12
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

"return to form".

Translation: Appeasing the fickle fans who want a rehash of the same uninspired album over and over. Because eight albums worth of the exact same formula: DM verse into clean passage then rinse and repeat, just isn't enough. 

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 20:20
I'm definitely excited for this.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 20:41
I really enjoy Porcelain Heart.  I don't get the hate.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 20:44
Originally posted by TheClosing TheClosing wrote:

"return to form".

Translation: Appeasing the fickle fans who want a rehash of the same uninspired album over and over. Because eight albums worth of the exact same formula: DM verse into clean passage then rinse and repeat, just isn't enough. 

Suddenly, a random acoustic passage appeared.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 20:47
Maybe the new album will be 56 minutes of Weather Channel jazz.

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 22:15
Havent been excited for Opeth since 2005 so this will be an interesting release. If it comes out the same day as the new Dream Theater my face will explode!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 22:22
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Maybe the new album will be 56 minutes of Weather Channel jazz.

OH GOD PLEASE YES! Big smile

Cmon Opeth smooth jazz album

Posted By: QuestionableScum
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 22:56

But Watershed isn't good either. The best songs were Heir Apparent and Lotus Eater. Burden and Coil bored the hell out of me - but so did the second half of that album.

I wouldn't call Burden or Coil particularly prog and neither song is particularly strong, but neither is the Lotus Eater or Heir Apparent. The Lotus Eater and Heir Apparent both suffer from having little atmosphere, and riffs that are not captivating at all.  

Hessian Peel, and Hex Omega on the other hand were two tracks that I absolutely loved, because of the familiar atmosphere that felt very Opeth, while pushing the band more towards a 70's trad prog approach in terms of instrumentation. 

But I imagine we have very different takes on Opeth given how you feel about Damnation, as I would place it as their 4th best album, only being surpassed by BWP, Still Life and Morningrise. 

Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 23:00
Hessian Peel alone boosts that album. What a brilliant song.
Also I'm with Pat, I like Porcelain Heart as well.

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 23:11

I kinda agree with you on this, but only when it comes to Opeth. They are my favorite metal band and the ones wh turned me into growling.

Still, it does sound good and I´m hoping to be proven wrong!

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 01:38
Disappointed that the power of Mikael's DM vocals will be gone, but we'll get some powerful stuff in other departments, I bet. Some awesome riffs, interesting structures and a band relaxing and playing something they want to play.

Overall, sounds ace, I'm struggling to wait for September.

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - JazzMusicArchives.

Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 01:51
It's interesting to see an album cover like this is showing some people's true colors regarding their acceptance with a  change in a band's sound or attitude. It's funny because I remember when Damnation came out, it wasn't such a big controversy.

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 02:43
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

It's interesting to see an album cover like this is showing some people's true colors regarding their acceptance with a  change in a band's sound or attitude. It's funny because I remember when Damnation came out, it wasn't such a big controversy.

Yeah, I agree. It seems as though it's often the case that as fans, we feel a kind of disturbing ownership of a band, and that we feel any perceived betrayal of Form/Direction/Change in a highly personal way.

On one hand, at least we love the band/music enough to commit to some emotional investment. On the other, I imagine it's far more respectful toward the band to relax, sit back and see where they take you, and be happy for them for trying new things, for challenging themselves and doing something they want to do.

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 02:48
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Yeah, I agree. It seems as though it's often the case that as fans, we feel a kind of disturbing ownership of a band, and that we feel any perceived betrayal of Form/Direction/Change in a highly personal way.

On one hand, at least we love the band/music enough to commit to some emotional investment. On the other, I imagine it's far more respectful toward the band to relax, sit back and see where they take you, and be happy for them for trying new things, for challenging themselves and doing something they want to do.

I think it's great what they're doing. I, for example, haven't cared for the band much since around 2006, and I used to be a big fan of their music. My tastes changed dramatically, and even when Watershed came out, I was ho-hum about it. This has recaptured my interest, and I can see why MA has decided to do what he wants to do. I respect him for that.

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 02:55

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

I think it's great what they're doing. I, for example, haven't cared for the band much since around 2006, and I used to be a big fan of their music. My tastes changed dramatically, and even when Watershed came out, I was ho-hum about it. This has recaptured my interest, and I can see why MA has decided to do what he wants to do. I respect him for that.

Yeah. I have less favourites on Watershed than say, 'Ghost' or 'Blackwater' and am really interested to hear this one, and even the cover and the tiny amount of info we have has really sparked my interest too.

-------------

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 03:09

I think people complaining about the cover are complaining about it because it's a bad cover. 

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 03:21
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I think people complaining about the cover are complaining about it because it's a bad cover. 

I wasnt talking about the cover itself (which is what sparked this thread), but what MA and the journalist said describing the music.

-------------

Posted By: Stoned420
Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 03:42
This isn't remotely surprising. I'm really looking forward to this but at the same time, I agree with the couple other people about being disappointed that there will be no harsh vocals. For me it's not a matter of being closed minded, it's just a matter of LOVING his harsh vocals, and so the notion that he might continue down this path is worrisome, not because the music will be bad, because that's doubtful, but because I might not be able to hear new great death metal from Opeth again. /run on sentence

With that being said, if the next 5 or 10 albums Opeth puts out have no harsh vocals, I'm sure they will be great and that I will continue to purchase said albums, assume Opeth's passion is behind it.

Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 05:53
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by TheClosing TheClosing wrote:

"return to form".

Suddenly, a random acoustic passage appeared.

LOL @ both of you. LOL

Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 05:54
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

I kinda agree with you on this, but only when it comes to Opeth. They are my favorite metal band and the ones wh turned me into growling.

Now you growl instead of speaking? Shocked That's awesome, I'd like to meet you. Tongue

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 06:12
^LOL

Sounds like its going to be a good album. The description makes me think of what Pain of Salvation have been doing with Road Salt, and since I really like that album I've got high hopes that Opeth can pull it off quite well too.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 09:07

Opeth's Damnation album was one of the things that brought me to this site. After immersing myself in lots of prog, it's not as powerful for me as it once was, but it's a fantastic album. I've learned to tolerate harsh vocals, even appreciate them when well placed, and Mikael is indeed one of the best at growls.

Clearly, if Black Sabbath is an obvious sound on the album, this isn't going to be Damnation 2. I'm looking forward to hearing somethign NEW from the band.

People were making light of Opeth's composition formula, but alot of their riffs also follow a certain pattern rhythmically and harmonically, which was initially uniquely Opeth, but there's only so many variations you can do. And with other bands copying the style, I can understand the need for Mikael to try something new.

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 09:20
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

People were making light of Opeth's composition formula, but alot of their riffs also follow a certain pattern rhythmically and harmonically, which was initially uniquely Opeth, but there's only so many variations you can do. And with other bands copying the style, I can understand the need for Mikael to try something new.

Hey Negoba, great point - as soon as you put a sound out there that is distinctive enough to survive, it invariably becomes susceptible to the 'thinning out' process that happens when other bands imitate or incorporate that sound into their own albums. So yes indeed, probably good thinking of Mikael try and take Opeth somewhere different.

-------------

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: June 03 2011 at 12:38
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Now you growl instead of speaking? Shocked That's awesome, I'd like to meet you. Tongue

LOL

ups

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 04 2011 at 22:49
I'm really interested in this new album. I have come to enjoy some Opeth, but I don't really like growling, and so far haven't come to understand all this love towards Opeth's growling... I have heard some other bands that use growling, and I find Opeth's ones even less tolerable than other's... I guess that's the reason I have come to enjoy Wathershed quiet a bit. As for Damnation, I found it too soft, and so far haven't come to like it so much, I would have liked it to have some metal. As for the album cover, I do find it somewhat good... though a bit disturbing.

Posted By: moe_blunts
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 12:18

The album cover is LOL! 

Are the band member's heads supposed to be forbidden fruit?  Temptation?  Is listening to Opeth the first and original sin?   If so, I'm going to hell.

Looking forward to the album.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/?chartstyle=minimalDarkRecent">

Posted By: (De)progressive
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 14:05
Can't wait to hear it. Damnation was no masterpiece if we think it as a prog rock album, but it was the closest thing a by a progressive death metal band. It was a milestone in music, as well as Tiamat's Wildhoney. I loved Watershed also, but this album feels like a coming suprise which will have a shock effect on our face.

-------------
''Hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment.'' (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Posted By: Fyrus
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 14:32
Am I one of the few that thought Damnation was one of Opeth's weaker albums?

And I am in no way a fan of death metal and such... Opeth is the only band with growling I can stand :p

Damnation just didn't seem like Opeth...

I don't think this new album will be like Damnation though, seems to be different.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 14:47
I'm already amused. This will be Opeth's St. Anger. Regardless of it being good/bad/different whatever, it will be the "its cool to bash Opeth" album. Hell, just the cover has people frothing at the mouth. Let the dog pile begin.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 14:57
Sounds good to me. I'll definitely be getting my copy as soon as possible

-------------

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 18:23
This sounds SO AMAZING.

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 19:05
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I'm already amused. This will be Opeth's St. Anger. Regardless of it being good/bad/different whatever, it will be the "its cool to bash Opeth" album. Hell, just the cover has people frothing at the mouth. Let the dog pile begin.

LOL truth. Every word.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 19:18
It is a very bad and uncharacteristic style album art for Opeth.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 20:33
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Not quite so easy. St. Anger was sunk not entirely but sufficiently by a snare drum. I think it might be harder to take down Heritage.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: zoviet
Date Posted: June 05 2011 at 22:15
wow looks awesome and worth checking out.  i actually got bored of Opeth after Damnation so am lookg fwd to getting this

Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 06:08
Originally posted by Fyrus Fyrus wrote:

Am I one of the few that thought Damnation was one of Opeth's weaker albums?

And I am in no way a fan of death metal and such... Opeth is the only band with growling I can stand :p

Damnation just didn't seem like Opeth...

I don't think this new album will be like Damnation though, seems to be different.

Damnation and Deliverence make up the two worst albums in Opeth's discography. Heritage seems like they're going to do something very different to Damnation and I am definitely looking forward to it, and I like that cover art as well.

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 06:18
Deliverance is a bliss in my ears

-------------

Posted By: Stoned420
Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 09:09
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Damnation and Deliverence make up the two worst albums in Opeth's discography.

Interesting how different people's opinions can be. Those are two of my favorite albums in their discography. Although perhaps you think so highly of the other albums that these lose by default.

Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 09:18
The only way Heritage will be like St. Anger is if it's horrifically bad in almost every way. It might be stylish to pile on them for selling out or whatever, but St. Anger has a special little place in rock suckiness. The lyrics, production, in fact the entire purpose of the album would have to be bad. Playing in the style of your all time favorites is not a bad reason to make an album. Completely selling our your roots to try to make something current was. No comparison.

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 09:21
First rule of music. Nothing will ever be as bad as St. Anger. Don't compare things to it.

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 09:28
You know who else was madly in anger with you? Bad moustache dude.

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 09:42
Originally posted by Stoned420 Stoned420 wrote:

Interesting how different people's opinions can be. Those are two of my favorite albums in their discography. Although perhaps you think so highly of the other albums that these lose by default.

Well, I do think very highly of the three preceeding albums, particularly BWP, but I just found that splitting the two sides of Opeth onto seperate albums didnt at all work. Plus, I hate Lopez's inapropriate drumming on Deliverance.

-------------

Posted By: pianoman
Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 09:52
The cover reminds me of a more evil version of a Talk Talk album cover haha.

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 11:20
It really makes me laugh when someone says that Damnation is a prog album.

I think Mikael is doing the correct decision. Watershed was their weakest album since Damnation. His growls are becoming much worse (you can see in the Live at Albert Hall), probably because of too much cigarettes and drinking. If you compare the old growls with the current ones...... much better. Mikael doesn't hold his growls too much anymore like he used to do.

On the other hand, his clean singing has improved so much! That's why I think it is best to make an album with more clean vocals.

Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 14:57
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 15:22

it might probably the closest to full tech metal from Opeth, very elaborate and technical songs that goes everywhere spessially the track nr 1

this song is all over the place

-------------

Posted By: damascus
Date Posted: June 06 2011 at 16:38
No way this will be 'incomplete' - Opeth's music doesn't rely on growls, even though Akerfeldt's are some of the best in the business. Looking forward to this, especially since he seems so excited about it. A repeat of Damnation would be a little on the boring side, but it seems like the music here will be less straightforward.

Also I don't know if his growls have been getting worse. Watershed wasn't the best but his vocals killed on Ghost Reveries.

Is there any news regarding the Akerfeldt project with Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree? I remember hearing something about that a few months back, but then radio silence ...

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 03:04

First rule of music. Nothing will ever be as bad as St. Anger. Don't compare things to it.

I think a little bit of sick came up in my mouth when you mentioned that album...

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 03:08

Thirded.

Oh and still crazy excited for this album.

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 16:41

it might probably the closest to full tech metal from Opeth, very elaborate and technical songs that goes everywhere spessially the track nr 1

this song is all over the place

LOLno. Deliverance is one of their best, no question about it. Besides, if you don't like extreme metal, what are you doing listening Opeth? LOLWink Seriously Aginor, you are one of the most criptic persons I have ever met.

And if you guys REALLY think St. Anger is the epitome of what a bad album is supposed to be, you have never really listened to bad music. EVER.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 16:44
Deliverance is my 2nd or 3rd fav Opeth. Brilliant stuff.

And yes Caio, no one believes me because "lol everyone hates St Anger but JJ doesnt so he must be trolling" kinda wish they'd try and get past the sh*t instead of lolstorming.

Speaking of which, why do some seem to think this will be Opeth's St Anger? The album fans love to hate?
Between here and people I know personally, the response has been overwhelmingly positive and excited.
Sure, some talk about the odd album cover but sheesh, chillax people....it has even been leaked yet! LOL
Most fans seem excited for a change, and especially one in a less metal direction IMO

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 17:01
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

LOLno. Deliverance is one of their best, no question about it. Besides, if you don't like extreme metal, what are you doing listening Opeth? LOLWink Seriously Aginor, you are one of the most criptic persons I have ever met.

And if you guys REALLY think St. Anger is the epitome of what a bad album is supposed to be, you have never really listened to bad music. EVER.

I think you misunderstood him, by "a bliss in my ears" he meant that he likes it

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 18:03

And yes Caio, no one believes me because "lol everyone hates St Anger but JJ doesnt so he must be trolling" kinda wish they'd try and get past the sh*t instead of lolstorming.

Speaking of which, why do some seem to think this will be Opeth's St Anger? The album fans love to hate?
Between here and people I know personally, the response has been overwhelmingly positive and excited.
Sure, some talk about the odd album cover but sheesh, chillax people....it has even been leaked yet! LOL
Most fans seem excited for a change, and especially one in a less metal direction IMO

I wouldn't put it so high up, but among the 5 best, definitely.

And yes, St. Anger is hated because Metallica simply dared to be different and you know fans hate to be outside the confort zone (DT will show you that better than anyone with their last 3 albums). it isn't good, I agree, but really, there are much worse music in the top 20 Billboard at any given time. 

But I believe people are being keen to hate Heriage because of two words out of Ankerfeldt mouth: no metal. That makle all the difference for a headbanger. LOL

I think you misunderstood him, by "a bliss in my ears" he meant that he likes it

LOL, true, sorry 4 that Agi Embarrassed. I thought he was reffering himself to Damnation.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 18:06

And yes, St. Anger is hated because Metallica simply dared to be different and you know fans hate to be outside the confort zone (DT will show you that better than anyone with their last 3 albums). it isn't good, I agree, but really, there are much worse music in the top 20 Billboard at any given time. 

But I believe people are being keen to hate Heriage because of two words out of Ankerfeldt mouth: no metal. That makle all the difference for a headbanger. LOL

Seriously.

Well, I guess the pure metalheads will hate it but they'll hate any non metal. That's just a given LOL
But most else seem excited about it.

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 18:27

Seriously.

Well, I guess the pure metalheads will hate it but they'll hate any non metal. That's just a given LOL
But most else seem excited about it.

Agreed. There was this random dude I met in the line of the POS concert who was basically creaming himself just with the sight of the cover. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 18:32
LOL!

For the record, the cover threw me a curve ball but I really do like it!
Only complaint was the awful 70's rock thing of having their faces on it...but we all know Akerfeldt loved 70's prog rock so...I look it as a homage to itLOL

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 19:04

LOL!

Only complaint was the awful 70's rock thing of having their faces on it...but we all know Akerfeldt loved 70's prog rock so...I look it as a homage to itLOL

Yes, he's basically gay for Pink Floyd

and for Steven Wilson

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 19:05

LOL!

and for Steven Wilson

+ a few others but yes
OH WAIT I SEE THAT DOWN THAR

SW and Mikael have a mutual, heterosexual respect for each other

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 19:16

LOL!

and for Steven Wilson

+ a few others but yes
OH WAIT I SEE THAT DOWN THAR

SW and Mikael have a mutual, heterosexual respect for each other

IDK, I have red a rumor somewhere that Wilson was gay, though I couldn't confirm that.

I can live with them being just friends, though. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 19:24
Don't forget that Dan Swano, and close friend of Mikael, produced their early albums!

Point is: Mikael, Swano and Wilson have a musical three way that I wish I could be part of

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 19:33
I've heard Dream Theater, so I"m fully able to judge terrible music, and St. Anger is terrible. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 20:01

I've heard Dream Theater, so I"m fully able to judge terrible music, and St. Anger is terrible. 

LOL, personal attacks on the internet. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 20:11
LOL Dream Theater is a person.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 20:58

Well, I do think very highly of the three preceeding albums, particularly BWP, but I just found that splitting the two sides of Opeth onto seperate albums didnt at all work. Plus, I hate Lopez's inapropriate drumming on Deliverance.

Lopez's drumming on Deliverance is nothing short of brilliant.

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 21:01
Yeah I agree Pat. I didn't catch that comment until you quoted it.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 22:06

Holy sh*t, yeah how'd I miss that one myself?
Inappropriate drumming??
He is one of my all time favorites, therefore you are wrong Tongue

But really....I can't even comprehend how you say that.

Date Posted: June 08 2011 at 06:20

Holy sh*t, yeah how'd I miss that one myself?
Inappropriate drumming??
He is one of my all time favorites, therefore you are wrong Tongue

But really....I can't even comprehend how you say that.

Best example would be the first half of Masters Apprentice, which he completely ruins with his incessant hammering on the kick drum. If he'd actually listened to what the others were doing that would have been a killer track.

-------------

Date Posted: June 08 2011 at 07:14

I wouldn't put it so high up, but among the 5 best, definitely.

LOL, true, sorry 4 that Agi Embarrassed. I thought he was reffering himself to Damnation.
I like to use the word Bliss becouse of this beautifull and honoust short story about love and metaphores, ( had this in british literature class) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bliss_%28short_story" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bliss_(short_story )

-------------

Posted By: PinkRobot
Date Posted: June 09 2011 at 10:05
Nothing they did comes close to the raw, organic brilliance of Orchid. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk