Print Page | Close Window

Why we can call Radiohead a prog rock band imo...

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79271
Printed Date: May 06 2024 at 01:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why we can call Radiohead a prog rock band imo...
Posted By: my_left_brain
Subject: Why we can call Radiohead a prog rock band imo...
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 14:06
Progressive rock is not just rock. It is rock with something extra; complex rhythms, large bands with unusual instruments, multiple sections and long songs, like supper’s ready is 24 minutes long. Albums made by prog(ressive) rock bands most of the time have a concept; lyrically, musically or songs just fading out in the next one. I like prog rock because there’s more in it. More technique. Some think it’s just egoistic soloing, but I hear that when the guitarists the drumemrs most of the time also plays nice stuff. It’s not just soloing, it’s all complex. With all parties. Great example is “Cinema Show” by Genesis. When Tony Banks, the keyboardist is soloing, Phil Collins as drummer plays in 7/8 rythm. So although he’s not in the spotlights he keeps drumming with much technique which you seldom see if not in a solo.
Prog Rock is often confused with symfo; even the fans, the listeners, seem to confuse those two terms. It’s both about long songs, complex rythms, strange lyrics and large bands. But the difference is that symfo is a subgenre of prog rock. And that’s why bands like radiohead are seldom seen as prog rock. Because people often forget that prog rock doesn’t have to be big. It doesn’t have to exist of long soloing. You can call radiohead prog rock because you can hear on songs like 2+2=5, pyramid and 15 step. You can hear that the album Kid A si a concept album, because the songs segues into the next. The lyrics are in some cases also unusual (the song 2+2=5 is critics about industrial mistakes). You can hear on Kid A and a bit on OK computer , the previous album, that they use much technology. That’s also a condition of prog rock. But you can’t call radiohead symfo, because it’s not that rocking.
Prog rock does have more subgenres. That’s because prog rock is about conditions to be filled. But every musician does that different. Every musician in prog rock find seemingly find other conditions more important than musicians in  any other subgenre. So prog rock can have so many subgenres because there’s a great variable about what conditions you full fill and in what form. Prog folk musicians find the historical source of prof rock more important and goes back to the roots, but neo prog rock musicians just get on with prog rock and develop it further.

I wrote this because of a discussion with a friend of mine who said radiohead not to be prog rock. And I saw different times that people confuse symfo with prog rock. Even I confused the both may times before I wrote this.

P.S: This is my first blog, I am from Holland, so excuse me for my poor english.

My left brain

Replies:
Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 15:47
What difference does it make? Prog, not prog. It's awesome music either way

-------------
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 15:53
Welcome to the forum.

One tip before you're slaughtered by the masses: don't post stuff like this.
You'll just get troll'd

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 15:55
edit 2: Many valid points re: what makes something prog, however I feel that they leave out several streams and/or subgenres of progressive rock; some of them are built around a notable lack of the elements that you feel define prog.  I also don't really consider Radiohead to be progressive, but as I'm not familiar with all their work perhaps I can't judge.

That's the best post I can make in my feverish drug-addled state.  Welcome to the site.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 16:37
I could make similar thread about Toto but i know that would be flames by the proggers, and I havent dones so.

-------------

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 17:24
Personally I find Radiohead very progressive but not necessarily a prog band. They get a ton of influences from prog bands which makes what they're doing truly great and original but they are still alt rock.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 18:29
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Why is my previous post doing that?

Because Dean doesn't like it when we bash the noobies

My Left Brain, on the behalf of my retarded friends from the Shred room, I apologize. Sometimes we like to ruffle the hair of the newbies or crack some jokes when a posts likes this are posted. We mean no harm, and I hope we haven't dampened your view of our Beloved ProgArchives.

Your welcome to post your opinions of bands such this; it's what makes the forum continue. 

So with a warm heart, welcome to PA Smile

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 18:31
Pssssstttt...he probably didn't even see any of those posts.

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 18:55
Pssst, but WE did.

Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 19:02
Progarchives just loves to claim bands as their own

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 19:03
I still think it's courteous to apologize; it gives the site a bad reputation if it's all troll and no soul (just made that up Approve)

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 19:22
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Pssst, but WE did.

Aye, and it's a fine thing you gents caught that rash of hooliganism before the OP had to see it.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 19:27
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Pssst, but WE did.

Aye, and it's a fine thing you gents caught that rash of hooliganism before the OP had to see it.
If he has email notifications turned on he will have seen every one of them.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 19:39
I read it and understand what your saying. I agree to an obvious extent and I can't help but saying, well, yea. I'd never heard of anyone calling Radiohead symphonic prog or not prog rock, or at least experimental rock. But anyway good post, especially for someone not attuned to prog rock.

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 20:10
wow I bet my_left_brain never expected his thread to provoke a PA therapeutic be-in  LOL  Cool

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 20:14
nether did my_right_brain what now that is, (i bet mine is pretty wacky)

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 20:41
I don't consider Radiohead prog much at all.  Perhaps experimental rock at most.

However, I love OK Computer and gave it 5 stars.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 22:00
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I don't consider Radiohead prog much at all.  Perhaps experimental rock at most.

However, I love OK Computer and gave it 5 stars.

Yea that's what I always thought them to be, which I assume warrants a stay at Crossover Prog LOL

-------------

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 22:11
This is about the difference between Prog and Progressive Rock.  It's a lot of opinion but there have been multiple threads on it: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64471" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64471

I personally consider Radiohead progressive and experimental but not really prog in the traditional sense.

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 22:52
Because this album exists and Kid A sounds kind of like it.

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 23:19
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Because this album exists and Kid A sounds kind of like it.

In many way, Kid A IS like Krautrock and 'Head were influenced by it.  On topic, it would be a whole lot simpler if we split all prog into art rock and experimental rock because that's what it boils down to.  I don't understand the artificial distinction between say Elton John (his 70s work) and Supertramp and then, going further towards prog, Genesis.  The word "progressive" is a misnomer and terribly confusing when applied to classify music into genres.  At least, art rock or experimental rock tell you more about the nature of the music and casts aside the age old debate of whether or not it has progressed music, blah blah.  But I am guessing if you do that, you can't have a dozen sub genres and we know music listeners just love a hundreds of sub genres to confuse the s*** out of newbies.

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: June 25 2011 at 23:37
Basically, Radiohead managed to convince a lot of young, impressionable people that were "unique" and "original" and such. A lot of these young impressionable people branched off into other things on their musical journey. Some of them gravitated to alt. rock, some of them to classic rock and prog.

I was one of those young impressionable people once upon a time. I don't really listen to Radiohead much these days. I'll put on the occasional track for nostalgia's sake. But I think they've earned their place on this site, if only because they were the beginning of many a young person's journey to progressive music.

-------------

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: June 26 2011 at 03:08
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

What difference does it make? Prog, not prog. It's awesome music either way

don't matter how to call it, it's just crap.

Posted By: my_left_brain
Date Posted: June 26 2011 at 05:18
haha, and yes I have read all the reactions

(I am actually attuned to prog rock of course, otherwise I wouldn't have an account on this site, don't you think?) 

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: June 26 2011 at 05:31

Average band imo

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: June 26 2011 at 05:54
Well, this old guy came to know Radiohead after Hail To The Thief and they are progressive unless you have a narrow minded view of what prog actually is.  To dismiss it as crap is short sighted.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 26 2011 at 12:42
Radiohead are a modern progressive rock band as long as you are happy to change the definition from the sound of ELP,Yes,Genesis etc.They don't do bombast though but they do do emotionWink

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: June 26 2011 at 12:47
Without a doubt prog related, but my opinion of the band has sharply reduced lately. Like most prog fans, I found The Bends & OK Computer utter genius. Kid A, I thought, was a brave counterpoint to these, a statement, if you like, of not being buttonholed. However, thereafter, I've found it all a bit of a bore.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: June 26 2011 at 14:58
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Without a doubt prog related, but my opinion of the band has sharply reduced lately. Like most prog fans, I found The Bends & OK Computer utter genius. Kid A, I thought, was a brave counterpoint to these, a statement, if you like, of not being buttonholed. However, thereafter, I've found it all a bit of a bore.
"he doesn't like In Rainbows"

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2011 at 19:02

I actually really like the electronic, experimental sound of their later work.  King of Limbs was just above average, but I think Hail to the Thief is extremely underrated and In Rainbows is excellent as well.

Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: June 27 2011 at 05:02
I'm from the UK and I was 15 when OK Computer came out, and let me tell you, it was a seriously big deal. Suddenly experimentation and long multi-section songs weren't instant grounds for derision and mockery, thanks to songs like "Paranoid Android". It wasn't necessarily to everyone's taste, but more or less everyone who got really, really into OK Computer became interested in exploring other obscure music. In my case it led to prog, in other people's cases it led in other directions, but still, it was an eye-opener to a generation otherwise brought up on Britpop bands like Blur and Oasis, neither of whom I have much time for (though I will always loudly defend the merits of Pulp, who were sheer geniuses.)

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: June 27 2011 at 11:23
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

"he doesn't like In Rainbows"

Is the one on the left youLOL

Nope, true, aside from a couple of very good tracks (Nude & Videotape). I find Yorke's constant whines a little bit grating, to be honest.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: June 27 2011 at 12:18
No. Basically, we can call Radiohead prog because: 

1. Nobody has ever truly, 100% definitive, defined "prog". 
2. Radiohead fans need to have the band here in PA to feel better
3. Ok Computer is a great album so I guess it "has to be prog". 

Tongue

-------------

Posted By: OT Räihälä
Date Posted: June 27 2011 at 17:22
In my opinion Radiohead is the most progressive rock band at the moment, because of their exploratory nature. Sure, they don't sound like old prog greats, but that is because they really try to find something new and not to stamp on old paths. That cannot be said of 90% of the new "prog" bands, which are rather regressive than progressive.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/osmotapioraihala/sets" rel="nofollow - Composer - Click to listen to my works!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 02:01
Originally posted by OT Räihälä OT Räihälä wrote:

In my opinion Radiohead is the most progressive rock band at the moment, because of their exploratory nature. Sure, they don't sound like old prog greats, but that is because they really try to find something new and not to stamp on old paths. That cannot be said of 90% of the new "prog" bands, which are rather regressive than progressive.

I agree

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 12:06

In my opinion Radiohead is the most progressive rock band at the moment, because of their exploratory nature.

I suppose you don't explore much as I believe there's a lot of more forward-thinking new bands.

Kayo Dot, for example, is undoubtely the most innovative project of the last 31 years.

Quote Sure, they don't sound like old prog greats, but that is because they really try to find something new and not to stamp on old paths. That cannot be said of 90% of the new "prog" bands, which are rather regressive than progressive.

Agreed. That's why I hate neo-prog.

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 12:07
Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

In my opinion Radiohead is the most progressive rock band at the moment, because of their exploratory nature.

I suppose you don't explore much as I believe there's a lot of more forward-thinking new bands.

Kayo Dot, for example, is undoubtely the most innovative project of the last 31 years.

Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 12:28
*inserts something about Kayo Dot like a fanboy*

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 13:42
lol Tanner, I'm not a Kayo Dot fanboy. I just like Choirs of the Eye and Coyote a lot.

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 14:15

lol Tanner, I'm not a Kayo Dot fanboy. I just like Choirs of the Eye and Coyote a lot.

Hey, that's where I stand!

Brohoof.

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 14:19
F**king ponies.

-------------

Posted By: keiser willhelm
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 21:27
** waits for walter's post.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/KeiserWillhelm" rel="nofollow - What im listening to

Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 21:54
Originally posted by keiser willhelm keiser willhelm wrote:

Walter got the banhammer Wink

-------------

Posted By: keiser willhelm
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 22:40
sweet justice. Evil Smile
actually i always thought he was pretty hilarious but PA tends to take things a little seriously.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/KeiserWillhelm" rel="nofollow - What im listening to

Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 22:44

sweet justice. Evil Smile
actually i always thought he was pretty hilarious but PA tends to take things a little seriously.

Pretty much, he was usually nice to me and had great knowledge about a lot of interesting things.

Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 23:33
Originally posted by Andyman1125 Andyman1125 wrote:

Walter got the banhammer Wink

I haven't seen him in a while... that explains it!  I honestly always thought he was an act.  I PMed him once asking about why he hates all modern music and gave examples and such.  He never would change his argument at all and just said the same thing over and over.

Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 08:52

Just wonder what you think was the most innovative project 32 years ago.

I have to confess that  a couple of days ago Kayo Dot was just a name to me, I hadn't heard their music. I thus had to find out a little to be able to reply.

Having listened to them, I guess we mean a bit different things with explore. I admit Kayo Dot's compositions differ from the mainstream rock and even prog, but they are at places very close to metal, and at some other places it's obvious they (or rather Toby Driver) have listened a lot to a few RIO classics.

I can't understand why Driver's compositions are sometimes called avant-gardistic, because in my ears they sound quite trivial. I have a feeling that he has chosen a wrong genre, because obviously he would like to delve in the art music, but the "rules" (real or imaginary) of prog/popular music make him to stay inside the borders of tonal harmonies. His music is some way off from standard new prog, surely, but miles away from contemporary avant-garde. If I want real explorations in that aspect, I'll stay with contemporary art music and forget about pop music, be it prog or not.

Radiohead's explorations don't really cover the structures of compositions, but rather the sound, both overall and small details. Their ever-expanding arsenal of tools and means takes pop music towards new territories. This doesn't seem to be Kayo Dot's strength.

Oh, and Kayo Dot seems to be at least ok, if not almost quite good. Smile

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/osmotapioraihala/sets" rel="nofollow - Composer - Click to listen to my works!

Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 09:17

Just wonder what you think was the most innovative project 32 years ago.

I have to confess that  a couple of days ago Kayo Dot was just a name to me, I hadn't heard their music. I thus had to find out a little to be able to reply.

Having listened to them, I guess we mean a bit different things with explore. I admit Kayo Dot's compositions differ from the mainstream rock and even prog, but they are at places very close to metal, and at some other places it's obvious they (or rather Toby Driver) have listened a lot to a few RIO classics.

I can't understand why Driver's compositions are sometimes called avant-gardistic, because in my ears they sound quite trivial. I have a feeling that he has chosen a wrong genre, because obviously he would like to delve in the art music, but the "rules" (real or imaginary) of prog/popular music make him to stay inside the borders of tonal harmonies. His music is some way off from standard new prog, surely, but miles away from contemporary avant-garde. If I want real explorations in that aspect, I'll stay with contemporary art music and forget about pop music, be it prog or not.

Radiohead's explorations don't really cover the structures of compositions, but rather the sound, both overall and small details. Their ever-expanding arsenal of tools and means takes pop music towards new territories. This doesn't seem to be Kayo Dot's strength.

Oh, and Kayo Dot seems to be at least ok, if not almost quite good. Smile

More or less...though, unlike you, I quite like KD and don't find it trivial (but that's more a matter of preference).  Also not sure about the tonal harmonies part but agree broadly on your points about conceptual originality. Most innovative project in 31 years? More innovative than Bela Fleck rejigging the banjo?  Sounds like hyperbole to me.  As for the avant garde tag, I come back to my earlier post in the thread.  It is misleading to use such terms (progressive being the other one) because they are too qualitative.  It cannot be avant garde just because it channels some avant garde music.  The correct word is "experimental" music....thus, not necessarily experimenting with radically new concepts but written in an experimental framework.  In this way, it would cause less confusion if what is called prog is called art rock because that's essentially what it is.  However, I may well be completely wrong about KD and would welcome opinions about what is it that they discovered about MUSIC that nobody did before them. Goes without saying I mean something conceptual and theoretical here rather than some "artistic" or "emotional" discovery. 

Another thing is it is not necessary to innovate in concept all the time and it's probably beyond the pall of most composers. It's after all a few composers (in relative terms)  from three centuries of classical music who are credited with fundamental innovations. There is imo no limit to innovation in form and Radiohead are one of the few who innovate very well in form. You can always present old wine in a new bottle and people will think it's new because it kind of is.  I can trace Radiohead's influences but in totality, they express themselves in a very fresh and original way. Or maybe I should start saying that in past tense now, but  even if only for OK Computer and Kid A, they are the most impressive modern band in rock music that I have heard.

Posted By: pianoman
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 09:17
Radiohead isn't prog, but it is progressive, if you catch my drift.

Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 13:08
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It is misleading to use such terms (progressive being the other one) because they are too qualitative.  It cannot be avant garde just because it channels some avant garde music.  The correct word is "experimental" music....thus, not necessarily experimenting with radically new concepts but written in an experimental framework.

Sensible words in your reply, but I disagree with the terms part: in music there is no such thing as experimental. There is an experimental framework, perhaps, but music itself cannot be experimental.

To make a piece of music is to choose some parametres ahead of others (I say this as a composer myself). Experimental music would mean to not to choose (=music is a result of directionless experiment of producing sound or silence), but that is an impossibility: to not choose is a choice. A piece consisting of 100% improvisation is thus predetermined in its framework, although every single tone, rhythm and/or sound would be a result of coincidence. Inversely: a 100% controlled work, for example an electronic composition where every tone/sound is strictly written before the production may sound similar as total improvisation.

The only way there may exist such thing as experimental music is if we have an "agreement" that some style is called experimental.

With "trivial" I didn't mean that I dislike Kayo Dot. It sounds quite good, as I wrote, but I just questioned in which parametre it is really exploratory.

Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

Radiohead isn't prog, but it is progressive, if you catch my drift.

Exactly. "Prog" is a music style whereas "progressive" is a concept, a framework.

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 20:03

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It is misleading to use such terms (progressive being the other one) because they are too qualitative.  It cannot be avant garde just because it channels some avant garde music.  The correct word is "experimental" music....thus, not necessarily experimenting with radically new concepts but written in an experimental framework.

Sensible words in your reply, but I disagree with the terms part: in music there is no such thing as experimental. There is an experimental framework, perhaps, but music itself cannot be experimental.

To make a piece of music is to choose some parametres ahead of others (I say this as a composer myself). Experimental music would mean to not to choose (=music is a result of directionless experiment of producing sound or silence), but that is an impossibility: to not choose is a choice. A piece consisting of 100% improvisation is thus predetermined in its framework, although every single tone, rhythm and/or sound would be a result of coincidence. Inversely: a 100% controlled work, for example an electronic composition where every tone/sound is strictly written before the production may sound similar as total improvisation.

The only way there may exist such thing as experimental music is if we have an "agreement" that some style is called experimental.

Don't really disagree with that.   Actually, come to think of it, stuff like KD could be lumped into art rock too except that people want some sort of distinction between the Genesis/Supertramp brand of art rock and this.  Art music in the proper sense of the word has however been more advanced than what KD I have heard, which is admittedly only two albums. 

Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 20:27
Have you ever listened to Kid A?

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: November 22 2011 at 14:09
Two songs from pre-Radiohead band called On A Friday have surfaced on the Web.  Here is a link to the story on SPIN magazine including videos of the songs.

http://www.spin.com/articles/pair-so-called-1980s-era-radiohead-demos-hit-web?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=112211" rel="nofollow - http://www.spin.com/articles/pair-so-called-1980s-era-radiohead-demos-hit-web?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=112211

-------------

Date Posted: November 22 2011 at 17:56
Originally posted by my_left_brain my_left_brain wrote:

My left brain
How's your iron lung?

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Catalani
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 09:05
My garage crappy band is progger than Radiohead.

Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 09:17
Originally posted by Catalani Catalani wrote:

Good for you.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 18:55
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Good for you.

News flash: no one gives a damn about your garage crappy band and never will.  AngryTongue

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 19:16
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Good for you.

News flash: no one gives a damn about your garage crappy band and never will.  AngryTongue
I haven't got a garage. Confused

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 19:25

Good for you.

I haven't got a garage. Confused

Have you tried the patio?

-------------

Date Posted: December 14 2011 at 10:46

Good for you.

So...U MAD?

Date Posted: December 14 2011 at 10:52

So...U MAD?

Not seriously, unless you meant in sense of crazy, then quite likely.

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: December 14 2011 at 11:32
Radiohead does not have already a name ?Pinch

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: December 14 2011 at 11:53
Radiohead = prog rock, in my opinion.

They are an example of where progressive rock is, and has been probably since the late 90's. Ok Computer is transparently a prog rock album, and the alubms that followed may have had less of a 'rock' element, but they were certainly progressive, and experimental. I'm not a huge fan, but enjoy some of their albums, but the moment I heard Ok Computer, I thought 'Wow! They've gone prog'

Even Rick Wakemen agrees..

I know Radiohead have denied their prog credentials in the past, but then so has`Steve Wilson, re PT. I'd be curious to know what those who believe RH are not prog, would think if RH just came out and said 'we're a prog rock band' Would they still be in denial?

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: CloseToTheMoon
Date Posted: December 14 2011 at 15:06
Radiohead completely re-tooled their initial sound into an ambient electronic / art rock, grab bag. Along they way they progressed British pop to the point that "Radiohead Knock-off" is almost a sub genre.

-------------
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

Date Posted: December 14 2011 at 18:56
I just learned on Jeopardy that Christopher Meloni (Law And Order SVU actor) is fan.

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: December 15 2011 at 10:59
I just came to the conclusion that if The King Of Limbs came back in 1975, it would have made sense in the discography of Neu!, Brian Eno, Faust or others such... I might even include it in my top prog albums list of 2011.

Posted By: Glimmung
Date Posted: December 15 2011 at 16:58
I like to think that some bands at their best seem to transcend genres. Radiohead very much fits in the same way Pink Floyd does. Neither of them were or are going for the things that most people associate with prog in terms of musical gymnastics on their instruments. It is much more about the sonic capability of those bands to create not just a nice atmosphere in the music but whole universes to each song. What I'm trying to say is that in many ways Radiohead evokes the true essence of progressive rock which is seen in the way they use their instruments in ways they've never been used before also the way they use the studio as an instrument is a true evolution of how that begun in the 70s seemingly always moving forward and having a new take on almost everything they do. Ultimately they are creating sonicly progressive music carrying rock into a new direction and thus they belong on any site devoted to prog.

Date Posted: December 15 2011 at 21:04
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I just came to the conclusion that if The King Of Limbs came back in 1975, it could have made sense in the discography of Neu!, Brian Eno, Faust or others such... I might even include it in my top prog albums list of 2011.
Of those I've only known Eno and it might explain why Radiohead appealed to me when I finally gave them a try a few years ago.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 12:07
People are comparing Pink Floyd to Radiohead? Radiohead work is good, but please, don't compare one of the masters of prog with Radiohead.
-------------------------
About the topic, I don't think that Radiohead is a prog rock band. People who likes neo-prog more than I do may have a different opinion, but I can't understand Radiohead as prog.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 12:15

People are comparing Pink Floyd to Radiohead? Radiohead work is good, but please, don't compare one of the masters of prog with Radiohead.
About the topic, I don't think that Radiohead is a prog rock band. People who likes neo-prog more than I do may have a different opinion, but I can't understand Radiohead as prog.

There is no connection with Neo Prog and Radiohead. And I will compare them with Pink Floyd. There is some of there stuff with a Floydian sound. Like it or not.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 12:32
I can call a tree a bear; doesn't mean it is.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 12:41
Ill try listen to this - (got something somewhere) brb

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 12:44
"jumping" trough 7-8 tracks within a total of 1-2 min.
= If i should tag this, it would go into the Alternative Rock basket.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 12:52
^ Wow. That's conclusive.Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 13:03
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Perfect. Explains everything.
--------------
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

There is no connection with Neo Prog and Radiohead. And I will compare them with Pink Floyd. There is some of there stuff with a Floydian sound. Like it or not.

Radiohead similar to Floyd? You're kidding, right?

Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 13:14
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

"jumping" trough 7-8 tracks within a total of 1-2 min.
= If i should tag this, it would go into the Alternative Rock basket.
Hmm, I hope that doesn't put all your album ratings into persepctive. Ouch

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 13:19

Perfect. Explains everything.
--------------
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Radiohead similar to Floyd? You're kidding, right?

Why on earth would I be kidding?

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 17:20

You can say a bear isn't a bear and that doesn't mean that it actually isn't.Tongue

-------------

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: December 17 2011 at 07:48
Radiohead is a fantastic band. I don't really care if they're prog or not.

And yes, I agree they're similar to Floyd in some aspects. And Floyd is my favorite band. I don't think Radiohead has ever come close to something like "Dark Side Of The Moon" or "Echoes" but still they did some amazing albums and songs.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: September 25 2012 at 12:49
I guess that this is as close to a Radiohead appreciation thread that there is out there.  SPIN magazine has an article which includes 10 different artists covering Radiohead's Creep.  I thought that someone out there might enjoy this.

http://www.spin.com/articles/radiohead-creep-covers-ranked-weezer-kelly-clarkson-korn?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=092512" rel="nofollow - http://www.spin.com/articles/radiohead-creep-covers-ranked-weezer-kelly-clarkson-korn?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=092512

-------------

Posted By: JeanFrame
Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 04:32
Prog to me is a willingness to experiment, to expand the boundaries, seek the new. Ironically, a lot of music classified as prog because of its execution, is often a style simply copied from other prog bands, not new or experimental at all. It should be a principle, not a style.

Regarding Radiohead, if I have a criticism of the band, it would be that they experiment too much, and keep losing direction and shape. But that does mean that regardless of the quality of the results, it is pure exploration and, in my books, that would clearly classify them as Prog.

Posted By: kole
Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 08:44
I saw them live on Wednesday. Just watch this and say this isn't progressive. Jonny is friggin' fantastic.

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 09:09
I can't stand RADIOHEAD, so I will be no use to this forum.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 09:13
^Pretty worthless post, then.Ermm

-------------

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 09:45
pot, kettleWink

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 13:31
I bought OK computer - expecting it to be this brilliant opus - it's just a crock of sh*t!....Prog it aint - not to compare with any of the proper exponents of prog....end of...pop music - yeah - AOR maybe - Emperors new clothes definately!!!

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 13:34
And - IMHO - Cockney Rebel - Death Trip - far more prog than anything in OK computer....is Cockney Rebel prog? probably not - I rest my case mlud....

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 14:31
Good for you.

-------------
What?

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 14:57
I think they're prog related

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 15:28
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I bought OK computer - expecting it to be this brilliant opus - it's just a crock of sh*t!....Prog it aint - not to compare with any of the proper exponents of prog....end of...pop music - yeah - AOR maybe - Emperors new clothes definately!!!

Prog or not prog is irrelevant to me but Kid A/Amnesiac is more progressive than every single one of your post classic era favorite albums (according to your ratings). You should all check them out before you feel you have a right to an opinion. 

But if prog is a defined genre with rules to follow (which would be absurd) and not progressive rock I guess your list of pompous retro prog/generic prog metal is what's real prog. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 20:33

What exactly is AOR about Airbag, Climbing the Walls or Paranoid Android?  And could you please define "proper exponents of prog"? 

Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 20:34

>Radiohead
>AOR
>wut

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 20:48
^ :|

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 22:12
Radiohead = A.O.R. ????  I had my belly-larf for the day - thanks.  I used to dis Yorke and his band of try-hard musicians with a passion.  Since I acquired KID A - love the album, have a high respect for the band and agree that they are 'progressive' (as opposed to 'Prog').  They are alternative at the heart, but bleedin' experimental and original.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: September 30 2012 at 15:36
Radiohead knows its CAN by heart. But perhaps it also knew this masterpiece of Italian progressive rock ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7dbJZf8TJo&feature=related" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7dbJZf8TJo&feature=related

Posted By: Federico95
Date Posted: September 30 2012 at 16:31
AOR? :|

Posted By: kole
Date Posted: September 30 2012 at 16:45
Ahahaha, AOR. Laughed so hard, almost fell off the chair.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 30 2012 at 18:21
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Radiohead knows its CAN by heart. But perhaps it also knew this masterpiece of Italian progressive rock ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7dbJZf8TJo&feature=related" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7dbJZf8TJo&feature=related

Its obviously coincidental. About as likely as Mars Volta knew Il Balletto Di Bronzo. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 06:51
I threw in "AOR" as a sort of red herring - I can dimly rmeber listening to OK computer expecting it to live up to the "hype" - the fact that I can't rember a single note and maybe in my universe it WAS AOR,,,,,
It's always like Schroedingers cat experiment - with me trying to remember a CD listening that happend 10 years ago at least..... I opened the LID and the progressive masterpiece turned out to be a damp squib....even if not AOR ....was it electronica?? Has a cover like a Power Station CD if I remember....

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 06:55
^When I first heard OK Computer I thought it was amazing. We weren't the first to call them Prog though. They had already been called that in the press.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk