Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79310
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 16:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Apocalypse vs Where Have I Know You Before
Posted By: Svetonio
Subject: Apocalypse vs Where Have I Know You Before
Date Posted: June 27 2011 at 05:20
Both my favs by both bands catalogues. I voted initialy for Return to Forever.

My fav pieces by both bands Smile

Replies:
Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: June 27 2011 at 05:25
I have been spending a lot of time listening to Chick Corea and his various side-projects, of late. I'm totally enarmoured of his style of Jazz Rock/Fusion, so had to vote for Return To Forever Thumbs Up

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 27 2011 at 07:55
A hard choice, since both are great albums by great bands. I'll have to wait  and think about it before I can vote.

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: June 27 2011 at 07:55
Hard poll, realy don't know, love both,probably would choose Mahavishnu with Visions of the emerald beyond but between these two.......need a new rotation,fantastic albums though......

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: June 27 2011 at 11:42
RTF for me.

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: June 27 2011 at 15:55
Apocalypse!

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: dave-the-rave
Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 12:26
I haven't heard 'Apocalypse,' but "Song to the Pharoah Kings", on 'WHIKYB' is so unbelievably tremendous, YOU MUST HEAR IT!

FWIW, I am not a big fusion fan (my faves are Yes, Camel, Floyd, e.g., the usual) but this record is all good, and "Pharoah Kings" is amazing.

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 22:31
Apocalypse! An under appreciated album from MO. 

Posted By: courtzz
Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 23:43

RTF !!

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 11:06
Give a new spin to Apocalypse, just right now ( with alittle glass of rhum) What a wonderful album Thumbs Up Then after, i'll keep on with RTF, all this polls and topics are realy good because they incite us to new listenings

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 16:45
I remember napping off one afternoon in my late teens with one side of Apocalypse on the turntable.  The turntable was set to repeat so it was still playing when I woke back up.  I think I saw God.  It's one hell of an intense album even when it's at its mellowest.  For all the reverence felt towards the first line up, this was a spectacular leap forward.  Orchestra meets orchestra and I bet some of them went home with blisters on their fingers.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 16:50
Slarti? YOU SAW GOD, it's a sight!! great albumSmoke

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 17:16
"Where Have I Know You Before" a very good album.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 18:15
I think Apocalypse is the best album MO did, so that is where my vote went. Return to Forever has never really clicked with me. They might someday, I use to hate Jean Luc Ponty with a vengeance, and now I canīt get enough of him. Things change... 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: b4usleep
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 15:44
RTF much better

-------------
Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout.

Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 17:41
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think Apocalypse is the best album MO did, so that is where my vote went. Return to Forever has never really clicked with me. They might someday, I use to hate Jean Luc Ponty with a vengeance, and now I canīt get enough of him. Things change... 
        Ooops! i missed a chapter, why did you hate Ponty? because he played with Zappa? Because he's a classical intrumentalist? Or because he's french? I hope you got that dvd Jean-luc Ponty in concert, it's a must like you say, fantastic music

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 18:08
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Ooops! i missed a chapter, why did you hate Ponty? because he played with Zappa? Because he's a classical intrumentalist? Or because he's french? I hope you got that dvd Jean-luc Ponty in concert, it's a must like you say, fantastic music

I donīt know actually - sometimes music has to creep up on me, and some of my most beloved albums now, I didnīt really care for when first listening to themConfused I love Zappa, and I think Ponty made a great guest appearance on Hot Rats, but he seemed to pass me by at the time. Now I cherish both Mystical Adventures alongside Enigmatic Ocean, and find it a bit confusing, that I didnīt see the light, when I first got my hands on those albums.
And no, it is definitely not because heīs FrenchLOL -Some of my favorite authors, philosophers, film makers and musicians are French, plus the fact that I was taught the, beautiful I might add, language when I was in school. Never learned to speak it well, but I can read it and my accent/intonation is alright (I can pretty much turn every Danish phrase into something French sounding, without actually speaking the languageLOL)  

Oh - and will look for that DVD, thanks for the heads up!

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 16:50
Well you quoted two great albums Thumbs Up hope to hear of your french accent soon LOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk