Posted By: kingcrimsonfan
Subject: top ten overrated prog songs
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 00:14
Just wondering what you guys think of how many overrated prog songs there are

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 01:43
grr... overrated is completely subjective.

I personally think The Battle Of Epping Forest is too silly for its own good, but that doesn't change anything. Many other people probably think that "The Camera Eye" by Rush is overrated - but I heart it to pieces.

Whatever. People will post their lists and feelings will be hurt. Although, knowing the nature of the forum these days it will just be people posting lists without looking at the ones already posted. No discussion - just narcissistic w**kery.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 04:16
Here's a list of songs/pieces that I believe are very highly regarded by many prog fans but leave me completely cold
(I guess it's my loss c/f nacrissistic w***kery)

1 - Close to the Edge Yes - the string of pearls that dreamed of being a diamond tiara
2 - Thick As a Brick Tull - the parody that came to represent what is being parodied
3 - Arrow VDGG - the tortured artist bites the hand that feeds him
4 - Moonchild  Crimson - stoned hippy amateurish noodling
5 - Echoes Floyd - stoned hippy professional noodling
6 - Lizard Crimson - how to stretch going from straight to swung time in 20 minutes
7 - In My Time of Dying Zep - gives 'interminable dirges' a bad name
8 - Interstellar Overdrive Floyd - good loving home required for affectionate little orphan riff
9 - Formentera Lady Crimson - stoned hippy semi pro noodling
10 - Elektrolurch Mutation Guru Guru - smug hippy garbage

If anyone feels sufficiently narcissistic today, head over to the Rogues Gallery thread and indulge yourselves.

Get the hand lotion ready fellas....

-------------

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 05:17
genesis-musical box
jethro tull-my god
pink floyd-any colour you like
camel-lady fantasy
gentle giant-a cry for everyone
magma-mdk
yes-awaken
van der graaf-lighthouse keepers
king crimson-easy money
king crimson-fracture

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 06:36
Have to think about it. A few songs come to my mind immediately, so I place these on top of my list:

• A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers - Van der Graaf Generator
  • 21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson
  • Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

(likely to be cont'd)

-------------

Posted By: Frederik
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 16:31
I can't quite get my head around A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers... I've only heard it a couple of times but I keep coming back to it, cuz despite disliking some of the parts, I adore some others... It's confusing Oo
I'm still a pretty recent prog fan so I still dunno which songs will stand the test of time. Even so, I think The Cinema Show is A LITTLE BIT overrated,

Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 16:50

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 17:14
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Here's a list of songs/pieces that I believe are very highly regarded by many prog fans but leave me completely cold

1 - Close to the Edge Yes - the string of pearls that dreamed of being a diamond tiara
2 - Thick As a Brick Tull - the parody that came to represent what is being parodied
6 - Lizard Crimson - how to stretch going from straight to swung time in 20 minutes
8 - Interstellar Overdrive Floyd - good loving home required for affectionate little orphan riff

If anyone feels sufficiently narcissistic today, head over to the Rogues Gallery thread and indulge yourselves.

Nobody likes Moonchild

-------------
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't

Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 17:21
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

genesis-musical box
jethro tull-my god
camel-lady fantasy
magma-mdk
yes-awaken
king crimson-easy money
king crimson-fracture
I agree with all of these except Plague of Lighthouse Keepers and The Musical Box. I hate Awaken, never got into Magma, and Cry For Everyone is average (for Gentle Giant)

-------------

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 17:24
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

I just got my copy, and after two listens, so far I agree.

As for the rest of the songs mentioned, I like most of them, even Moonchild.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 21:18
"Supper's Ready"

Seriously.  It's just seven or so small song strung together.  No cohesion.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 06:45
21st Century Schizoid Man
I Talk To The Wind
Epitaph
Moonchild
In The Court Of The Crimson King
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (parts 1-5)
Welcome To The Machine
Have A Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (parts 6-9)

Posted By: DavetheSlave
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 06:58
No tracks come to mind - personally can't stand the entire Metallica tracklist or Tool's so any 10 from those 2 artists. Sorry to those who enjoy them - just personal preference.

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 08:46

The only thing I agree with you here is MoonchildLOL 
Have to say that I enjoyed your review of Islands immensely - even if I don´t necessarily agree with you. The only thing funnier is perhaps your written rendition of the tracks on The Commercial album by The Residents - which literally had me spraying yellow secretions in my mamelukes.  
I also prefer a nice sandpaper w**k to the slippery hand lotion technique, where you have no grip at all...

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 08:48
I have never been fond of Epitaph from the ITCOTCK, which seems to be a fan fave around these parts. Too sugary for my tastes perhaps.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 10:09
Pink Floyd - Sheep
Pink Floyd - Pigs (Three Different Ones)

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 11:03
Cute.  A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers still gets my vote.

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

-------------

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 13:34
Karn Evil 9 (welcome back my friends to this interminable nonsense that seems like it will never end)

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 13:49
Originally posted by Frederik Frederik wrote:

I can't quite get my head around A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers... I've only heard it a couple of times but I keep coming back to it, cuz despite disliking some of the parts, I adore some others... It's confusing Oo
I'm still a pretty recent prog fan so I still dunno which songs will stand the test of time. Even so, I think The Cinema Show is A LITTLE BIT overrated,

It took a me a while to fully warm up to "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" (I also only like parts of it at first), but after a while I loved it.  I think you'll probably love the whole thing at some time (and then maybe not love it later on).  After having taken a  break from Pawn hearts for a few years, I returned to it and really fell for the whole album (I loved Man Erg from first listen).  A year ago I was playing A Plague incessantly, but then I got tired of it (and then I got rather tired of VdGG generally).

As for Cinema Show, I used to ador that but mostly went off Genesis.

Anyway, I migth say Deep Purple's Child in Time.  I like it, but much prefer It's a Beautiful Day's Bombay Calling, and prefer Vince Wallace's Bombay Calling to that.

I think a fair amount of Renaiisance overrated because the group lifted from composers (and some of the best themes comes from others).  "Hamburger Concerto" is another that lifted and is less great because of it.

For nme the most overrated are often those which are unoriginal (themes were taken from others) yet get praise for their greatness.

Posted By: KingCrimson250
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 14:18

LOL

Pink Floyd - Dogs
Pink Floyd - Pigs (Three Different Ones)
Pink Floyd - Sheep

I've always found Animals to be undeserving of the high praise heaped upon it. All the tracks on it are very similar - they're even all in the same key of Em (except for Dogs, which is played in Em but on a tuned-down guitar). Similar verse structures, similar atmospheres, similar synthy interludes in the middle of the songs... I loved it the first few listens but the more I hear it the less interested I get.

Despite this, it seems to be hailed as a masterpiece of prog.

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 14:40

Anything popular that one person doesn't like is overrated (to them).

How is anything objectively overrated?          Answer: it isn't.

If all people agreed that a particular song wasn't good enough to live up to its hype, then there couldn't have been any hype in the first place, because nobody liked the tune.

QED. 'Overrated' and 'Underrated' are purely subjective terms.

Ergo, there cannot be a top ten unless they are ranked by how many people find them overrated. In this case, the song with the highest number of people that dislike it would become the most overrated song....... but hang on, if the highest number of people dislike that song, how on earth is it overrated??

Thus, this list is a logical impossibility.

/ Thread.

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 17:19
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

If all people agreed that a particular song wasn't good enough to live up to its hype, then there couldn't have been any hype in the first place, because nobody liked the tune.

Ergo, there cannot be a top ten unless they are ranked by how many people find them overrated. In this case, the song with the highest number of people that dislike it would become the most overrated song....... but hang on, if the highest number of people dislike that song, how on earth is it overrated??

/ Thread.

I believe that one can use the term overrated in a resoanably objective manner when providing certain frameworks of anlaysis.  It is possible to argue for something being overrated in an objective manner (commonly held in too high esteem) from a particular perspective when working within a specific evaluatory framework.  For instance, let's imagine that a band releases a song that is widely hailed as brilliantly original, then let's say that it becomes known that the band lifted the music from another composer. One could say that it was overrated from the perspective of it being original.  The assessment was inaccurate, and those people gave it too much praise.  Commonly the word overrated is used in a purely subjective manner, but it doesn't have to be.  Or, to use a work example that hits me close to home: Say a certain someone does all (or almost all) of the work and preperation in preparing for an audit, and it goes really well, if not perfectly.  Now let's say that someone who did nothing gets the credit from the CEO and CFO for it while the one who did all (or almost all) the work gets no credit, but instead is blamed for anything that went wrong.  One person is overrated, while another is underrated (and not just for that particular job, either, but this happens again and again).  And I'm not talking about myself....

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 17:31

/ Thread.

Or you can just participate in the thread instead of overanalyzing it. Ermm

1. Firth of Fifth - Genesis (a great intro, a decent guitar solo, and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't matter)
2. The Sheltering Sky - King Crimson (zzzzzz)
3. Sailor's Tale - King Crimson (see above)
4. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (one of the most annoying songs ever written)
5. 2112 - Rush (meh)
6. Echoes - Pink Floyd (shoulda been cut down many minutes)
7. Per Un Amico - Premiata Forneria Marconi (listened to the album many times and that's the only song I can never remember anything from at all to this day)
8. The Perfect Element - Pain of Salvation (what a dull and underwhelming end to an otherwise superb album)
9. Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield (after a decent Part One, Part Two falls flat on it's face)
10. Providence - Godspeed You! Black Emperor (love GY!BE, but this is one of the most boring songs ever written by any band)  

Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 18:38
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

genesis-musical box
jethro tull-my god
camel-lady fantasy
magma-mdk
yes-awaken
king crimson-easy money
king crimson-fracture
I agree with all of these except Plague of Lighthouse Keepers and The Musical Box. I hate Awaken, never got into Magma, and Cry For Everyone is average (for Gentle Giant)

Musical box is a nothing song for me. It's like silence then noise. Sounds very amateur. I love the start and end of Lighthouse, but the middle 10 minutes are just ok melodies. It's a bit like the song 2112. Cool start but bland for a while Cool

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 09:56
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

/ Thread.

Or you can just participate in the thread instead of overanalyzing it. Ermm

Doesn't anybody here have a sense of humour?

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:19
I think overrated is usually the most popular song(s) of a popular band.  Since not everyone drills down to the back catalogue or to other less popular artists, these songs get disproportionate attention.  And the problem starts when people take these few songs to represent the best of the band or the genre they are playing in.  Anyway:

1. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb/ABITW...maybe not technically prog songs but anyway the most popular and overrated songs of this band.  A lot of people have heard only these two songs of Pink Floyd and tend to pronounce them as the best Floyd songs. Confused

2. Porcupine Tree - Sound of Muzak.  Okay, what's so special about this song? I am not a huge fan of PT, admittedly, but off the same album, I think Trains is a much better song. This is so generic and so typical of alt.

3. Rush - 2112. Not their best and pretty patchy, but hey, it's their longest track, you know.

4. King Crimson - Epitaph:  I would not underestimate the influence of the track or the album being that it was released in 1969. But standalone, as a composition, it is not all that amazing but for some reason, it's frequently called one of the best KC songs. 

5. ELP - Karn Evil 9:  Great performance by the musicians, as always, and very interesting in many parts but I am afraid its reputation precedes it.

6. Genesis - Watcher of the skies: It IS a great song but also not quite the equal of Supper's Ready, Musical Box, Salmacis, Dancing, Firth or Cinema Show.  Ultimately, it's a bit too repetitive even if the main refrain is very infectious.

7.  Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick:  Great track and album, one of the prog essentials for sure but I feel too much weightage is accorded to the fact that it's 40-odd minutes in toto.  That is a commendable achievement indeed but it loses steam halfway through before picking up and there's too much reinforcement overall and these aspects are glossed over. 

8.   Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (1-6):  Oh, how could I forget this one!  More than half the song is a pedestrian buildup moving at a snail's pace leading to weak Waters vocal delivery (which Gilmour improved upon in PULSE) and a saxophone section which, while good, is nowhere near as amazing as it's frequently made out to be.  This is actually one of the very typical examples of overrating as per what I said in the first para and should really be at no.1 or 2.  I do respect Barrett's contribution to the band but don't find it reason enough to endure such an overkill of sappiness. 

9. Dream Theater - Change of Seasons:  Has impressive ideas and, as usual, very impressive playing but overall lacks cohesion and direction.   Sometimes, it sounds almost if as they are trying to accommodate both Petrucci and Derek's strengths somehow (I fail to see what that fusion-like keyboard section really achieves, for instance).

10. Camel - Lady Fantasy: Another great song but feels a tad pale up against the best prog long pieces and epics, a pedestal on which it is frequently put.  Its influences are also a bit too easy to pick up and the overall feeling is of an excellent composition in a somewhat generic style.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:34
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

2. Porcupine Tree - Sound of Muzak.  Okay, what's so special about this song? I am not a huge fan of PT, admittedly, but off the same album, I think Trains is a much better song. This is so generic and so typical of alt.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that makes that song really stand out, atleast to me, is the drumming.

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:37
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I'm pretty sure the only thing that makes that song really stand out, atleast to me, is the drumming.

I do like the drumming very much, as with most of the stuff Harrison does.

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:38

I do like the drumming very much, as with most of the stuff Harrison does.

Likewise.
That is why the song gets alot of plays by me. Wink

Posted By: MoodyRush
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:40

Confused That's one of my favorite tracks off that album for me. I love In Absentia. Just shows how a song can be overrated to one and loved by another! Big smile

-------------
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:59
Originally posted by MoodyRush MoodyRush wrote:

Confused That's one of my favorite tracks off that album for me. I love In Absentia. Just shows how a song can be overrated to one and loved by another! Big smile

I love Absentia too.
I wouldnt really even call the song overrated, i always thought it got alot of hate.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 22:36

Nobody likes Moonchild
Actaully my fave off the album, so there!

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 00:16

Nah.  If 80% of people think a song is fantastic then it can be said to be very popular.  If the other 20% think it is rubbish and all vote accordingly then it would probably get most votes in an over-rated poll.

This sort of thing is often seen in opinion polls.  For instance in England in the 1980s Margaret Thatcher would win the poll for Most Popular and Least Popular person in the country at the same time.

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 02:05

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

That album hasn't even been officially released in the US yet. How can it possibly qualify for this list? Nobody's heralding it as a masterpiece.

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 08:59

Nobody likes Moonchild

LOL

It's like Odysseus and the cyclops. 

There are more Nobody's on this site that you might think Wink

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 10:30
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Nobody likes Moonchild

LOL

LOL  

Posted By: Pietro Otello Romano
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 11:38
Overall I consider Rush and Supertramp quiete overrated.

-------------
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful

what we pretend to be."

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 14:02

Nobody likes Moonchild

LOL

I love Moonchild. It's my least favourite off of the album, but I think it's great.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 15:16

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

This, plus Drama.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 15:55
with painful honesty, i must say i don't think any of the songs on King Crimson's Red album are all that special at all

Posted By: ergaster
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 06:44
I'm sure there are lots of overrated prog songs, it just depends on who you talk to.   Wink

All a matter of personal preference of course.   In my unassailable opinion almost the entirety of Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall are overrated.

Rush as a band are overrated. 

In Absentia by PT turned out to be hugely overrated: when I was first discovering these guys about a year and a half ago it seemed to be the one PT album the majority of fans suggested to get first, so I did.  I tried and tried to love it but it just didn't happen.  Too uneven.  Two *great* songs, a couple good ones, the rest meh.

Smile

-------------
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 00:06
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

with painful honesty, i must say i don't think any of the songs on King Crimson's Red album are all that special at all

I really tend to agree with you!  "Red" is wonderfully fun to play on guitar or bass, but "Fallen Angel" and others are only so-so, not nearly up to SBB nor LTIA.  

Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 15:45
Most of Camel's discography seems kind of overrated to me. Aqualung isn't all that amazing. I really like Close To The Edge, but for me, it pales in comparison to Thick As A Brick and Supper's ready 

-------------

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 15:48

Most of Camel's discography seems kind of overrated to me. Aqualung isn't all that amazing. I really like Close To The Edge, but for me, it pales in comparison to Thick As A Brick and Supper's ready 
What i have heard of Camel does nothing for me, maybe i did not hear the right albums, but what i heard seemed sort of mainstream, and not that interesting

Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 18:56

I love Camel from 1976 onwards as well as their debut. But Mirage and Snowgoose could have been better imo.
Aqualung is also one that could have been better. Side 2 is a bit weak but the remaster will be great with the 1971 EP and other bonus tracks. This will be a double studio album with 3 great sides of music with the 1 weak side being Side 2 of the original album Cool

Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 21:46
I just finished listening to Porcupine Tree's discography. I need to listen some more, but overrated isn't the last word I would use to describe them

-------------

Posted By: Sheavy
Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 22:25
Anything by Genesis.

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 12:11
i know i started this topic but i am sick of people saying the classics are overrated they maybe popular in the prog rock community but by no means overrated its good stuff

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 12:14
Originally posted by kingcrimsonfan kingcrimsonfan wrote:

i know i started this topic but i am sick of people saying the classics are overrated they maybe popular in the prog rock community but by no means overrated its good stuff

Other than the 'classics', DT and PT, there's not a whole lot of prog that's popular enough to be 'rated' in the first place. Yeah, add Tool or Radiohead to that's it, really.  It is tough to call a band with a small if somewhat vociferous fanbase like Magma overrated because in the larger scheme of things they're not.

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 12:16
yea man your absolutely right none of prog really is overrated at all thats the beauty of prog rock

-------------

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 15:34
Anything from Porcupine Tree

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Posted By: progrules
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 03:19

Nobody likes Moonchild

I hope so Big smile But I fear ......

And also
Plague of lhk
Starless
Knots
Starálfur
Dancing with the moonlit Knight

I fear I'm making some enemies here OuchLOL

-------------
A day without prog is a wasted day

Posted By: Phobia14
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 20:30
Karn Evil 9 and Toccata from ELP's Brain Salad Surgery album.

Maybe Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd, too. Not that it's bad or anything, it's just, y'know, they have about 100 better songs than that one.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 20:38

[QUOTE=Slaughternalia]
Nobody likes Moonchild

Moonchild is best when listend through head phones while walking in a forest or by the beach, very detaled and exiting really, i did not care for it at first but it acquires headphones (YOU GOTTA USE THE HEADPHONES MAAAAN) Sax man

-------------

Posted By: KingCrimson250
Date Posted: July 07 2011 at 09:51
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

Plague of lhk

Gotta throw my lot in with this one. I've always felt Plague only goes so far before it ends up collapsing under it's own weight. It just gets bogged down somewhere around the 13-15min mark and never quite recovers. Not to mention the fact that most of the transitions are just awful. In my review of Pawn Hearts I felt that this song is what kept the album from being five stars.

Despite this, I see it being called one of prog's greatest epics or even one of prog's greatest songs. Never saw the appeal, on either a subjective or objective level, and so I can't help but call it overrated.

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: July 07 2011 at 11:12
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

This, plus Drama.

same here.

Posted By: frippism
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 02:34
um to be honest I think Mirage is probably the most overrated album on this site, and I'm not too fond of Camel's other stuff either...

Idk PT and DT are a bit overrated in my opinion, but I still sorta enjoy some stuff.

Marillion is a controversial band on its own so I don't know if they're overrated but they are certainly not my fave.

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 02:38
everything by Frank Zappa
come at me bro fight me ect.

-------------

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 02:54
Never quite understood the term overrated, the way its used at PA, take some of the best music ever made, and look for the least great, of the greatness.
If you want to talk about bad music, why not thoose something very bad. Like Bony M or something.
Or Jackson....Im Bad, Im Bad.....O yes, You are ! He even admits.  

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 03:27

everything by Frank Zappa
come at me bro fight me ect.

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: AkselJ
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 05:18
The most known songs by most prog bands that have had a bit of mainstream popularity tend to be insanely overrated.

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 06:50
I think we have some trolling going on here!

I mean fancy being critical of Echoes, Shine on, Suppers ready, CTTE - but Moonchild I agree with, definite waste of space!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: Xaxaar
Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 13:35
If I were to just talk about this community in particular, Wish You Were Here is a pretty over-rated album.  Also Red by King Crimson. 

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 10:04
^ Well I agree with your first statement... "Red" isn't overrated and I'm right and you're wrong!

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: purplesnake
Date Posted: September 02 2011 at 03:55
I think CTTE is a bit over rated in the YES spectre
It's a very interesting song and has lots of concepts to offer, but I don't feel its yes at their best.

Posted By: dinnerordie17
Date Posted: September 07 2011 at 03:15
I think Syd Barrret is overated in a kinda under-rated way... if that makes any sense.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: September 07 2011 at 05:29
Originally posted by dinnerordie17 dinnerordie17 wrote:

I think Syd Barrret is overated in a kinda under-rated way... if that makes any sense.

He produced some of the finest pop songs of all time during a very short career (and also found time to produce a slew of incoherent garbage) - If that's what you mean?Confused

-------------

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: September 07 2011 at 06:59

Originally posted by dinnerordie17 dinnerordie17 wrote:

He produced some of the finest pop songs of all time during a very short career (and also found time to produce a slew of incoherent garbage) - If that's what you mean?Confused

I think it's the case of "those who know his work, rate it highly." 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: September 07 2011 at 07:04
Be merciful. Stop necro posting in KCFans sh*tty threads. Please

-------------

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: September 07 2011 at 07:08
People are being unfairly harsh towards KCfan. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: September 07 2011 at 10:32
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

People are being unfairly harsh towards KCfan. 

The internet is always fair.

Nobody else post in this thread.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: TopographicTales
Date Posted: September 07 2011 at 13:21
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

"Red" isn't overrated and I'm right and you're wrong!

I very much agree, it's a phenomenal album.

I also disagree with CTTE being overrated, that's crazy to me. It's one of their finest pieces of work.

Posted By: voliveira
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:33
There are some songs that come to mind but I think you can not ride (yet) a top 10songs overestimated. Here are:

Any music from Emerson, Lake and Palmer - this is a group that I'll never enjoy, for me arethe worst band of progressive rock from the dinosaurs anso 70"Tarkus"? For God's sake, this is not a song! It is a waste!

-Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Pink Floyd- I can not understand what people see in this song is one of the most drawn from history;

-Thick Is A Brick (Jethro Tull) - This - is a good song, but not enough for the album wasranked second best in the prog rockin my opinion;

Several songs from Gentle Giant

-A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers - Van der Graaf Generator

-Moonchild (King Crimson) - this song is not overemphasized, it is controversial, the"love - hate it or - the"

-------------
"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be" Matthew 6:21

Posted By: daslaf
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 20:43

I like this song, but I think it's a mash up of stuff, each section poorly linked to the other... it has its awesome moments though, but musically, as a whole concept it's not really THAT good, in my opinion, as Meurglys III... Well I haven't heard VdGG in a while now, I think I'm going to give these both songs a listen now Tongue

-------------
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: December 24 2011 at 20:52
2112 is pretty overrated, but I love it.
The entire Crimson King album is too

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: December 24 2011 at 21:04
Tom Sawyer by Rush. I mean it's a great song no doubt, but that is what the people out of the prog sphere only really know by it's heavy radio play. And Rush has much better to offer than that song.

Posted By: Progfan221
Date Posted: March 03 2012 at 05:25
Yes is a very good music group, but i think, too......

Close to the Edge = overrated ! Sleepy

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: March 03 2012 at 06:51

Nobody likes Moonchild

I love Moonchild. All of it. Actually there is not one song on this list which I consider to be overrated, and "Lizard" is underrated even. "Close to the Edge" as a whole album is not the celebrated 5 star album, in my opinion, but I would not call the song itself overrated.

By the way: Did you really mean "Elektrolurch Mutation"? Or did you mean the original "Elektrolurch" from the fourth and self-titled Guru Guru album? Because it is the latter which is held in high regard.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 03 2012 at 07:02
Killer by VDGG. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: March 03 2012 at 09:42
There is one thing I would like to say about Moonchild: Some people claim that the instrumental part of it is just pointless noodling. Those people have not been really listening; it is anything but that. The instrumental part mirrors the lyrics; each line of them can be found in it. Granted that the instrumental means used for this are unusual, and it is your good right not to like them, but it is anything but pointless, and it is certainly not noodling. You hear the Moonchild play,hide and seek, you hear her dropping stones, you hear the appearance of the sunchild, and so on. So unusual musical means: Yes. Pointless noodling: No.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: March 08 2012 at 17:42
I know that there are some people out there that do like 'Moonchild' ... but not me!

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 00:16
It's ok that you don't like it, but it's definitely not overrated, about half of the people here hate it.

Posted By: NickHall
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 06:07
page isnt big enough to contain all the over-rated prog songs

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: March 15 2012 at 22:09
Genesis - The Lamia 
 - The Cinema Show
Rush - The Entire 1st side of Moving Pictures.
King Crimson - Starless 
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (album)
    - Wish You Were Here (album)
           - Animals (album)
    - The Wall (album)
VDGG - Plague of Lighthouse Keepers
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (This song is very overrated, it's not musically interesting it's just long)

Date Posted: March 15 2012 at 22:29
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Genesis - The Lamia 
 - The Cinema Show
King Crimson - Starless 
           - Animals (album)
    - The Wall (album)
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (This song is very overrated, it's not musically interesting it's just long)

No offense, but I'm too young to have a heart attack. You should, like, found a prog religion of your own. LOL

I don't think there is even really such a thing as "overrated", even if a mill people said that on this website before. The reason why I'm saying this is because I like EVERYTHING that you have listed above ... except for Rush's stuff. I'm not into that ... yet? And I only heard VDGG's 60's stuff, you know, like 'Firebrand' and 'Necromancer.' 

"What are you saying, that there IS a good reason why girls like Justin Bieber?" No, not really. Some of those girls think he is the best drummer the world has ever had (check it out on YouTube), so no.LOL

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 16 2012 at 05:32

I'm not that ken on Plague either. Too much just seems like noise and chaos for the sake of it. Least favourite track on Pawn Hearts. Now, Man ERG is masterful!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: March 16 2012 at 06:59
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Genesis - The Lamia 
 - The Cinema Show
King Crimson - Starless 
           - Animals (album)
    - The Wall (album)

Surprisingly i disagree with most of these.

The Genesis songs listed are great - The Cinema Show being apart of the superior side of Selling England.

Moving Pictures is really great, but Permanent Waves executes accessibilty mixed with prog much more sucessful. Pertaining to the Side 1 section - Limelight and YYZ are absolute Rush classics.

Starless is not overrated. In the Court of the Crimson King is though. I think people take it's influence into the rating of the album too heavily.

Pink Floyd's The Wall is the main culprite of being overrated. Dark Side of the Moon is good - but heh.

Plauge of Lighthouse Keepers is amazing.

Thick as a Brick sucks. And i completly agree with you - it's really boring.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: March 16 2012 at 08:31
I'm sorry, but starship trooper by yes is extremely overrated. I like it alot it is just overrated.

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 16 2012 at 08:41
I've found over time that I dislike the song "In the Court of the Crimson King"  The chorus gets on my nerves, and it's repeated too frequently.  I used to like it, now I skip it.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: DanthraX
Date Posted: March 16 2012 at 09:09
This is my top 10 plus 10 more overrated abums in prog:

1. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1827" rel="nofollow - Close To The Edge
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=105" rel="nofollow - Yes
  2. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2019" rel="nofollow - Thick As A Brick
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=418" rel="nofollow - Jethro Tull
  3. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1510" rel="nofollow - Selling England By The Pound
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1" rel="nofollow - Genesis
  4. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1441" rel="nofollow - Wish You Were Here
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=364" rel="nofollow - Pink Floyd
  5. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2" rel="nofollow - Foxtrot
  6. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1903" rel="nofollow - In The Court Of The Crimson King
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=191" rel="nofollow - King Crimson
  7. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1440" rel="nofollow - Dark Side Of The Moon
  8. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1911" rel="nofollow - Red
  9. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1442" rel="nofollow - Animals
  10. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1419" rel="nofollow - Godbluff
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=343" rel="nofollow - Van Der Graaf Generator
  11. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1985" rel="nofollow - Per Un Amico
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=289" rel="nofollow - Premiata Forneria Marconi
  12. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1825" rel="nofollow - Fragile
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=105" rel="nofollow - Yes
  13. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3" rel="nofollow - Nursery Cryme
  14. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3076" rel="nofollow - Moving Pictures
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=609" rel="nofollow - Rush
  15. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1417" rel="nofollow - Pawn Hearts
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=343" rel="nofollow - Van Der Graaf Generator
  16. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=69" rel="nofollow - Hybris
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=18" rel="nofollow - Anglagard
  17. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1909" rel="nofollow - Larks' Tongues In Aspic
  18. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2274" rel="nofollow - The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=443" rel="nofollow - Peter Hammill
  19. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=170" rel="nofollow - Io Sono Nato Libero
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=36" rel="nofollow - Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
  20. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3160" rel="nofollow - Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=619" rel="nofollow - Harmonium
LOL

-------------
I look up, I'm almost blinded

by the warmth of what's inside me

and the taste that's in my soul,

but I'm dead inside as I stand alone...

Date Posted: March 16 2012 at 09:39
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

grr... overrated is completely subjective.

I personally think The Battle Of Epping Forest is too silly for its own good, but that doesn't change anything. Many other people probably think that "The Camera Eye" by Rush is overrated - but I heart it to pieces.

Whatever. People will post their lists and feelings will be hurt. Although, knowing the nature of the forum these days it will just be people posting lists without looking at the ones already posted. No discussion - just narcissistic w**kery.

I couldn't agree with you more; you have quite a point there. However, there are actually some minor discussions going on, although they don't bring us to anything. Besides, I do see some interesting lists that present various points, like: "Oh, there is at least one person who would put FGTR into his top 5 Genesis favorite albums list." Plus, I have just discovered Geoffrey Richardson through Canterzeuhl.

Posted By: PabstRibbon
Date Posted: March 16 2012 at 14:04
Everything from ELP except the Tarkus epic

Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 00:53
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I've found over time that I dislike the song "In the Court of the Crimson King"  The chorus gets on my nerves, and it's repeated too frequently.  I used to like it, now I skip it.

It happens to everyone, I think. Some stuff does age, doesn't it Smile ?

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 05:20
  • Starless - King Crimson
  • Killer - VDGG
  • The Camera Eye - Rush
  • Master Builder - Gong
  • Halleluwah - Can
  • Peaches En Regallia - Zappa
  • Firth Of Fifth - Genesis
  • Octavarium - Dream Theater
  • Us and Them - Pink Floyd
  • And You And I - Yes
Just one per artist....but there are more.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 14:02
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

• Killer - VDGG
  • The Camera Eye - Rush
  • Master Builder - Gong
  • Halleluwah - Can
  • And You And I - Yes

Wow!  Wow.  So wrong on pretty much all of those!
Cry

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 14:04
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

• Killer - VDGG
  • The Camera Eye - Rush
  • Master Builder - Gong
  • Halleluwah - Can
  • And You And I - Yes

Cry

... or half of them, at least.

Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 14:07

• Killer - VDGG
  • The Camera Eye - Rush
  • Master Builder - Gong
  • Halleluwah - Can
  • And You And I - Yes

Cry

like 80 %

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 14:15
Originally posted by NickHall NickHall wrote:

page isnt big enough to contain all the over-rated prog songs

That's right. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, even though it's been said, like, a gazillion times before, no matter what anyone says about your POV.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 18:49
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

• Killer - VDGG
  • The Camera Eye - Rush
  • Master Builder - Gong
  • Halleluwah - Can
  • And You And I - Yes

Cry

like 80 %

Yeah.. I love all the songs on that list! I sort of agree about the Can song, though. They have much better ones.

-------------

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 18:57
Originally posted by PabstRibbon PabstRibbon wrote:

Everything from ELP except the Tarkus epic

I'm not the biggest ELP fan myself, but not even Karn Evil 9! Shocked In my opinion, the song is a masterpiece.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk