Print Page | Close Window

Tim Blake

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79391
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 17:42
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tim Blake
Posted By: jean-marie
Subject: Tim Blake
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 04:31
I only got the first two albums :Cristal Machine that i like very much and Blake's new Jerusalem, what would be the next ones to get among further releases?

Replies:
Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 07:34
"Majick" ............it was originally released in the early 90's and taken from a live performance. Apart from his vocals (which I am not particularly fond of), "Majick has some great instrumental electronic pieces.

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 10:16
Thanks, gonna try to check it out  Wink

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 12:34
I've only got the last two albums, but I would recommend "Tide of the century" which I play regularly. "Caldea music 2", the album after that, is OK but it is a commissioned work and as such not really in keeping with Blake's usual output.

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 13:30
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I've only got the last two albums, but I would recommend "Tide of the century" which I play regularly. "Caldea music 2", the album after that, is OK but it is a commissioned work and as such not really in keeping with Blake's usual output.
WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 10:19
Ermm   was hoping for more Gong fans here

Posted By: fusionfreak
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 13:57
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

Ermm   was hoping for more Gong fans here
I'm here jean marie(my name is yann).I love Gong from You or Angel's Egg to 2032 through Expresso 2 and Gazeuse(Allan Holdsworth is great!).I saw them live in 2006 in Amsterdam and they were outstanding,such a trip.I will try and listen to Tim Blake's works.By the way do you like Ame Son?(they played with Daevid Allen in Spain,in fact they were his backing band)If you don't know try Catalyse,it's very good!

-------------
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king

Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 18:15
Ame son? a french band from the early seventies? only know the name, i love Gazeuse with Holdsworth and previous releases like You and Angel eggs, a few weeks ago my friend Oliverstoned from PA helped me to discover a live Gong album: Sherwood forest, try it, worth listening 

Posted By: fusionfreak
Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 14:07
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

Ame son? a french band from the early seventies? only know the name, i love Gazeuse with Holdsworth and previous releases like You and Angel eggs, a few weeks ago my friend Oliverstoned from PA helped me to discover a live Gong album: Sherwood forest, try it, worth listening 
Thanks for the advice Jean Marie,I will try.Ame Son released one studio album titled Catalyse(awesome) and many years later a cd Primitive Expression was released:it's really good psychedelic space rock,enjoy!By the way do you like Heldon?(a bit different I must admit)

-------------
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 14:45
Tim Blake was the best Robin.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 17:10
sure i know Heldon,  heard many albums but i've a special link with a Pinhas solo release, Chronolyse....

Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 21:00
Gong live in Osolo 74' can be purchased from Synphonic Music. For me it's the most unique musical transition of Gong. On this concert you will hear things like never before. Steve Hillage plays a couple of songs that were featured on "Fish Rising" however this is a year before the Sherwood forest show. This time the "Fish Rising" pieces are fit into the original Gong sound with Daevid Allen on board. Daevid Allen plays material at this show which presents a style he was developing for "Good Morning" Bill Bruford on drums! It cracks me up listening to this because of the 4 minute section where the band improvises in an ambient dark Larks/Starless style. Bruford adds in all the chimes, bells , and blocks just like he did with National Health. Trust me on this one.....this has got to be the strangest Gong performance ever. The sound quality is just okay. It's not technically bad like "Earthbound" or some of the other rare live recordings of prog bands where everything sounds like it's inside a cardboard box. If you mess with your EQ and put some extra bass in the ingredients it's beautiful. Especially on a pair of JBL tower speakers. It's the most unique Gong concert in history and it displays a musical transition in the writing from the Gong members that most people have yet to hear.  

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 03:46
I was surprised to hear those Hillage pieces on Sherwood forest....

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 09:47
What mystified me about Gong or any of the various Gong bands like Mother Gong, Pierre's Gong, Para-Gong etc....was the diversity in the various drummer's styles. Pip Pyle was very good on the earlier material and of course Pierre Morlen on the Gong Trilogy and his own band. I remember Daevid Allen did this guided tour on the Gong Mythology where he would explain the history of the mythology and in return the audience would ask questions. He often told his story of how he left Gong. The invisible rubber curtain or force field that was preventing him from entering the stage. 'That's actually how I left Gong because I couldn't get on the stage". I can just hear him saying that now.I remember when he walked into "Third Street Jazz and Rock" record shop in Philadelphia with stacks of Gong albums saying "Here is my music"....."Please sell it"......Gong struggled like many of the prog bands in the 70's or then known as "Space Rock" bands, but historically they have made a landmark.

It must have been difficult to live your life that way and he deserves credit for that. For example....let's say you are a guitarist from the U.K. and your reputation as a player is good and someone passes the word to Dave Brock. He asks you to join Hawkwind. So what kind of money are you making? How do you survive? You're still sleeping on a couch and eating PB+J sandwiches every week. I don't know how these musicians can continue to live that way as they grow older. In the real world keeping Gong together  is a pretty tough thing to do. When Gong played Philadelphia in 2001...Gilli Smyth after the show,.....stood in front of the stage with a bucket for people to drop in donations.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk