Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79408
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 09:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best sci-fi films from 00's!
Posted By: tupan
Subject: Best sci-fi films from 00's!
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 15:21
In your opinion, the best sci-fi movie from the 00's is...

-------------
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)

Replies:
Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 15:42
From this list, probably A Scanner Darkly (possibly helped by the fact that I'm a huge fan of Philip K Dick's books and most of the movies I've seen adapting them), or District 9.  Gonna go with Scanner Darkly this time. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 15:43
^Great movie, indeed. I need to read the book.

-------------
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 15:46
The six I've seen I can rate like this: Children of Men >> Inception > District 9 >>>> Donnie Darko > Equilibrium > V for Vendetta. I'll have to think if I remember something that's not in the poll, before I vote. 

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 15:52
District 9 was quite good.

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 15:57
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

The six I've seen I can rate like this: Children of Men >> Inception > District 9 >>>> Donnie Darko > Equilibrium > V for Vendetta. I'll have to think if I remember something that's not in the poll, before I vote. 

Other (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) should be your clear winner, I believe (probably mine too), although it depends how much sci-fi over romance and fantasy it is for you (or in general).

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 16:00
True, but I think fantasy was not in the mind of Tupan when he asked about sci-fi.

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 16:01
I found the movie on sci-fi lists and best-offs, otherwise I wouldn't credit it that much either.

-------------

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 16:13

Pitifully, the only one of those I've seen is V for Vendetta. Several have been highly recommended by friends and family, but we just haven't made it happen.

A similar 80's or 90's list I would have likely seen every one.

Having kids puts a hamper on such things...

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 16:13
1. Inception
2. Sunshine
3. Children of Men

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 16:27
District 9

-------------

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 16:55
I've only seen two of these and Children of Men was the best out of the two. LOL

I do plan to see some of the others though eventually.

-------------

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 16:57
A tie between Donnie Darko and V for Vendetta.

Also, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo Del Toro.  Those are both complete masterpieces.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 17:32
I've got Darko, Vendetta, and Children on DVD.  Out of those three, hard to say.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 17:45
Oh wait, I've seen Donnie Darko as well.

So that makes three.

I still say Children of Men.

But yes, Pan's Labyrinth is great too.  I'd not say it was sci-fi though.  It's more fantasy.

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 17:58
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Oh wait, I've seen Donnie Darko as well.

So that makes three.

I still say Children of Men.

But yes, Pan's Labyrinth is great too.  I'd not say it was sci-fi though.  It's more fantasy.

Yeah that's true.

Some other good ones are Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Science of Sleep by Michel Gondry.

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 22:19
Pan's Labyrinth (Labirinto del Fauno) is a masterpiece, but it's fantasy. But it's a good idea for a fantasy poll!Wink

And I forgot to add Moon, a superb film made by Duncan Jones, the son of David Bowie! I hate myself! Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 22:22
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Other (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) should be your clear winner, I believe (probably mine too), although it depends how much sci-fi over romance and fantasy it is for you (or in general).

I haven't seen this movie, but many people tell me it's great sci-fi (in the side of soft sci-fi, I think).

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 22:30
Originally posted by tupan tupan wrote:

Pan's Labyrinth (Labirinto del Fauno) is a masterpiece, but it's fantasy. But it's a good idea for a fantasy poll!Wink

If you haven't seen The Devil's Backbone, I highly recommend it. It's less famous than Pan's Labyrinth, but I liked it even more.

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 22:40
Originally posted by Eärendil Eärendil wrote:

If you haven't seen The Devil's Backbone, I highly recommend it. It's less famous than Pan's Labyrinth, but I liked it even more.

Many people is recommend me this movie for ages. I think I will rent the DVD this weekend!

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 22:52

Many people is recommend me this movie for ages. I think I will rent the DVD this weekend!

Let me know what you think Thumbs Up

And I guess you have the advantage of actually speaking Spanish.  My few years of high school Spanish doesn't exactly help much with it LOL.  I'm fine with subtitles though.

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 23:01
District 9 would have been so much better if it hadn't turned into Iron Man part way through (the lightning gun was the only thing that kept from turning it off that was so boring) and if they had cared even a little bit about the fluid making any sense whatsoever. I wanted to see more evictions!

The only other movie I've seen on the poll is Inception, so I probably shouldn't vote.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 23:02
Er... I am Brazilian, I actually speak portuguese!

But all the movies I see on DVD or on the theaters, I see with subtitles. I prefer to hear the original voices.

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 23:08

Er... I am Brazilian, I actually speak portuguese!

But all the movies I see on DVD or on the theaters, I see with subtitles. I prefer to hear the original voices.

Sorry, I just assumed you did also Unhappy

Yeah over-dubs are usually disastrous.

Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 04:20

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

I haven't seen this movie, but many people tell me it's great sci-fi (in the side of soft sci-fi, I think).

It's a great sentimental drama with one (just one, but highly effective) sci-fi idea.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 04:26
what no Avatar (no... i don't think it is that good of a movie but it is one of the most important sc/fi movies of the 00s, even if some don't like it, it have shown technologicaly a new way to pressent a movie) graphicly it is one of the best movies i have seen, storyways it is just bland but it is enough interesting seens to keep me interested, but the clishees are so think i get sick.

-------------

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 04:37
I chose Other -> 2004's "Primer"

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 07:51
From this list I have to go with Sunshine, a little gem that I don't think gets enough love. Equilibrium is also a lot of fun. Not from the list, I agree that "Primer" was very good as was 2009's Moon.

Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 08:35
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Primer, unfortunately, was not released in Brazil!AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

-------------

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 08:40
Where's Avatar and Moon?

From these I'll go with Inception.

-------------

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 09:30

It's a great sentimental drama with one (just one, but highly effective) sci-fi idea.

I would not consider Eternal Sunshine a sci-fi movie at all even though the technology used in the film does not exist yet. Also, I thought it was terrible, but that's beside the point.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 09:40
Nice to see Sunshine doing well here (I voted for it last night but didn't comment), though all are films I would happily watch more than once (I haven't seen District 9 & Moon, bought them on DVD, haven't watched either yet).

also worthy of mention: A.I, Aeon Flux (well, maybe not), I, Robot, the conclusion of Matrix trilogy, Minority Report, the Star Trek reboot, Serenity, Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow, Solaris remake, Space Cowboys and Watchmen.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 10:21
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Nice to see Sunshine doing well here (I voted for it last night but didn't comment), though all are films I would happily watch more than once (I haven't seen District 9 & Moon, bought them on DVD, haven't watched either yet).

also worthy of mention: A.I, Aeon Flux (well, maybe not), I, Robot, the conclusion of Matrix trilogy, Minority Report, the Star Trek reboot, Serenity, Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow, Solaris remake, Space Cowboys and Watchmen.

I, Robot is good, but in my opinion, not the best work from the director Alex Proyas (their best movie is Dark City).

A.I. is really excellent! Thank you for remember.

Space Cowboys is sci-fi?

Aeon Flux? I prefer the cartoon, but the movie is enjoyable...

Captain Sky is very nice! I hope the director could make a sequel!

Minority Report... yes, another movie that I forgot to add to the list... but for me A Scanner Darkly was a better adaptation from a Philip K. Dick work.

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 10:34

Space Cowboys is sci-fi?

Of course - sci-fi doesn't have to be set in the future (or a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away), nor do they need lasers, aliens or imagined tech ... it's set in space and it didn't happen, ergo it's science fiction. Geek

-------------
What?

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 10:35

A.I. could have been so much better, if Stanley hadn´t passed away(no surprise there!). Spielberg was a great director once(alright Munich was pretty good), but the difference in approaches between him and Kubrick are so huge, that I´d wish a guy like Cronenberg could have finished A.I. instead. 

No vote from me, as I haven´t seen most of these flicks.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 10:40

I chose Other -> 2004's "Primer"

Great movie Big smile

Some of these never really struck me as sci-fi (Donnie Darko, V for Vendetta), but the movies I've seen from this list are all great.

Still, goes to Donnie Darko by a pretty wide margin. Approve

Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 12:04
Speaking of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow...that's one of two movies I had whose disc mysteriously disappeared.  I still have the case, but the disc disappeared without a trace (along with Star Wars Ep. 2).  Mysterious...

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 12:23

^ That kind of thing happens in our house too - I discovered it was my daughter putting two DVDs (or CDs) back into one case, with the "missing one" hidden underneath the disc that was supposed to be in that case.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 12:43
I just watched A Scanner Darkly last night -- I really liked it Another Dick-lover here, by the way.  If I could, I'd like to turn Dr. Bloodmoney into a film. Anyway, the only other one I've seen from the list is V for Vendetta (seen that quite a few times -- bought the DVD) which I think very good, but still flawed. I won't vote having not seen many (I stopped watching movies and TV pretty much due to an eye condition, but I continued with using computers a lot...).

Not saying it's the best (been panned by quite a few) but my favourite, probably due to certain circumstances, would be a Japanese film trilogy called 20th Century Boys, which is based on a  manga-- the third part was released in 2010 so it actually doesn't count.  I watched the first two parts on a JAL flight, in 2009 I think, and don't like flying much anymore, so I appreciated the distraction all the more.  And then there was the anticipation of the third part yet to be released.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 16:09

Agree with you regarding The Devil's Backbone, although Pan's Labyrinth is incredible as well.

As far as the list, I liked V for Vendetta best.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 19:09

Clap
And I can recommend District 9 & Moon, both great films!
I don't have a clear favourite, though. I am the first to vote for Pitch Black.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: Mr. Maestro
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 22:29
District 9.  Not only is it my favorite film on this list, but it's also my favorite film of all time.

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Posted By: maynards_dick
Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 03:46
1.Inception
2.Children of men
3.District 9
4.Donnie Darko

Posted By: TheClosing
Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 03:07
Donnie Darko is a convoluted mess and from what I heard Southland Tales is even worse.  

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 08:26
Originally posted by TheClosing TheClosing wrote:

Donnie Darko is a convoluted mess and from what I heard Southland Tales is even worse.  

Donnie Darko. Is not. A Mess. Stern Smile

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 08:33
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

-------------
What?

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 08:39

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

LOL

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 08:39
Donnie Darko is not a mess, it's a masterpiece. Southland Tales is messy, but it's great too!

By the way, the "zero vote movies" deserve some attention. Tetsuo - The Bullet Man is a hell of a ride, totally stunning.

The Box was destroyed by the critics, but is one of the better movies that I have seen in my life.

Cargo is a swiss movie that surprised me.

Pandorum is very good too, in the vein of Alien.

And Equilibrium is excellent.

-------------

Posted By: ergaster
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 18:19
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Clap
And I can recommend District 9 & Moon, both great films!
I don't have a clear favourite, though. I am the first to vote for Pitch Black.

And I am the second.  Without Serenity on the list, I have to go for that.  Always loved it, despite Vin Diesel (who was an unknown when he made it....)

Clap Clap

-------------
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.

Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 18:20
I remembered one that isn't on the list: Predators. I liked it and it's worth a mention even if I wouldn't have voted it. 

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 18:22

I remembered one that isn't on the list: Predators. I liked it and it's worth a mention even if I wouldn't have voted it. 

Definitely. It was much better than I expected and rather entertaining.

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 19:45
Donnie Darko is atrocious. 

District 9 was really good before it got a little Michael Bay at the end there. Children of Men is all around great.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 20:13
I voted for Pitch Black.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 10 2011 at 23:42
1. Children of Men
2. Inception
3. Equilibrium

-------------

Date Posted: August 12 2011 at 23:17

This film is GREAT! An instant classic!

-------------

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: September 02 2011 at 15:04
V For Vendetta

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 02 2011 at 15:24
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Donnie Darko is atrocious. 

District 9 was really good before it got a little Michael Bay at the end there. Children of Men is all around great.
Show us your fugee face.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: September 02 2011 at 18:01
District 9  followed by V for Vendetta.

Posted By: Isaaca
Date Posted: September 04 2011 at 01:51
The only one I've seen is Pitch Black, which had some good points, but overall, nyah. No vote.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: September 04 2011 at 06:13
Inception was the most thought provoking I have seen recently.

-------------

Posted By: Conor Fynes
Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 22:58
A Scanner Darkly is one of my favourite films.

Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 23:01
^And also the best adaptation from an work of Philip K. Dick

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: September 28 2011 at 00:20
No Mission To Mars???

I loved Chronicles of Riddick...great flick

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: September 28 2011 at 00:29

^And also the best adaptation from an work of Philip K. Dick

Maybe most faithful, yeah, at least out of what I've seen so far...I still think my favorite movie to be inspired by one of Philip K. Dick's books is Blade Runner.  It's very possibly my favorite movie, period.

-------------

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: September 28 2011 at 10:19
Moon.

Date Posted: September 28 2011 at 10:45
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

No Mission To Mars???

I loved Chronicles of Riddick...great flick

I was expecting much more from Brian De Palma on this film...

-------------

Posted By: 40footwolf
Date Posted: October 02 2011 at 00:32
I think I have to go with Metropolis (the anime re-imagining, not the Fritz Lang movie from back in the day). District 9 is a close second though. 

-------------
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.

Date Posted: October 02 2011 at 10:20
^Yes, Metropolis (written by Katsuhiro Otomo, creator of Akira!) is awesome! 

-------------

Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: October 02 2011 at 18:03
Can't choose between Donnie Darko and District 9

-------------
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk