URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79414
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 13:15
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Greatest Prog Guitarists
Posted By: MattGuitat
Subject: Greatest Prog Guitarists
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 20:57
Who is your favorite prog guitarists? Give me your list

1. Steve Howe-Nobody melded more styles of music into rock than Steve.
2. Alex Lifeson-Subtle rhythms and ferocious leads, what else can you say?
3. Steve Hackett-His solos were slow and emotional and he hardly ever got a solo, but he could rip your head off with his skill (Dancing with the Moonlit Knight is a good example).

Replies:
Posted By: Mr. Maestro
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 00:29
1. Steve Morse
2. John Petrucci
3. David Gilmour
4. Jan Akkerman
5. Kerry Livgren

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 01:06
I think I get the most enjoyment from listening to Steve Howe although I'm not sure if he was better than Jan Akkeman or Steve Hackett who are perhaps technically a notch better.

Of the heavier guitarists I am very fond of Leslie West (Mountain). Big character!

Chris Fry (Magenta) and Mike Holmes (IQ) have also impressed me when I've seen their respective bands play live.

Mike Oldfield is also one of the best although his work as an artist sort of overshadows his brilliance as a guitarist so he often gets overlooked.

I also like Stephen Caudel who has made some very pleasing new age stuff.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 01:06
Fred Frith absolutely slaughters just about anybody else.

Posted By: Skägget
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 03:31
I think that Trey Spruance is a very good guitarist/musician/songwriter. He doesn't do flashy music perhaps but very original and interresting. He is a master when it comes to making melodies. Just check out the later Secret Chiefs 3 albums. Think he has been working with John Zorn also.

Posted By: DavetheSlave
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 05:22
John Petrucci - easily the best technical guitarist possibly ever
Andy Latimer - the feeling the man can produce from a guitar is at times unbelievable
Steve Hackett - One of the engines behind the brilliant period of what is arguably the best prog band of its or any        other time.
David Gilmour - what needs to be said.
Steve Rothery - similarly to Latimer the man has the touch
Gary Moore - he aint prog but hell - one of the best of all time

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 07:28
Steve Morse
Steve Hackett
David Gilmour
Gary Green
Robert Fripp

Posted By: Nov
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 18:57
My top 3 are - in no particular order:

Steve Hackett

Andy Latimer

Roine Stolt

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 20:03
Eddy Marron-most famous for his involvement in jazz/rock-krautrock group Dzyan

Dirk Steffens-some of his work is progressive, like Birth Control-Rebirth, while his solo albums are what you could label as hard rock

Leigh Stephens-love his work in Blue Cheer and Silver Metre-not really prog, but love it nonetheless

John Mclaughlin-my favorites are his more aggressive and rockish recordings, like Devotion, Inner Mounting Flame, Trio of Doom

Wolf Hoffmann-not prog really, but love his playing in the early Accept recordings

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 20:12
i had also meant to mention Tony Bourge of Budgie-awesome!

Posted By: Garden of Dreams
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 21:47
Mike Holmes deserves another mention.  

-------------
Just give it all an hour by the concrete lake.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 22:14
Not in order:
1.Stephen Hackett
2.Alex Lifeson
3.Steve Howe
4.Robert Fripp
5.Mike Oldfield

and not Prog but Prog related imo, 6.Billy Corgan

-------------

Posted By: yam yam
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 22:33
John Mitchell (It Bites, Arena, John Wetton Band, Kino etc.) is all too often overlooked. All the names mentioned so far are indisputable greats, but John is pretty damn good too.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 23:06
Martin Barre is the coolest. i love his Iommi type screams from his guitar. Such a cool sound and style.
Latimer is the nicest. Such a smooth sound

Posted By: Tengent
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 23:15
1. Robert Fripp
2. Steve Howe
3. Fred Firth
4. Frank Zappa
5. Toby Driver

It is sometimes difficult to separate prog rock guitar from hard rock guitar. My choices, I feel, use their instruments in a manner that exuberates creativity.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 00:46
My list:

1. Steve Hackett: The most emotional, he's as technical as the best ones and by far the more versatile.
  2. David Gilmour: His solos were aggressive and emotional.
  3. Jan Akkerman: Brilliant, and dramatic
  4. Steve Howe: Hard to beat, but IMO not the best.
  5. Carlos Santana: The perfect balance between technique and emotion.
  6. John Mc'Loughlin: More technical than all the previous, but a bit soulless IMHO.
  7. Yngwee Malmsteen: I believe he's Prog Related at the worst, and incredibly skilled
  8. Rich Williams: Criminally underrated
  9. Robert Fripp: Great but not the god many believe (IMO of course)
  10. Brian May: Unique
Iván

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 01:22
Robert Fripp, defined the idea of guitar as an ensemble instrument in prog, rather than merely the choice instrument of riffs and solos.

Steve Hackett....very smooth and elegant technique and so emotional, never sounding, well, 'too perfect'.  One of  the best soloists in prog along with...

David Gilmour.  Hmmm, self explanatory.

Andrew Latimer...similar to Hackett in many ways, just not so adventurous or unique. Kind of seems to be in the shadow of jazz-rock guitarists along with major influences of rock like Blackmore, Gilmour but still is always a pleasure to listen to. 

Johnny Greenwood, simply amazing with textures.  Textures that are also often harmonically interesting and serve as a great device of development and not just something that sounds good. 

Steve Howe - I don't like his guitar tone at all, but the question is about greatest and I can't possibly leave him out. 

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 01:47
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 05:05

All that tells me is that you over-use hyperbole.

Explain how and why and make this ubiquitous thread worthwhile.

Posted By: EchidnasArf
Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 16:54
Zappa ftw. I can't believe I'm the first to put him on here. His compositions and playing were unlike anybody in the late 60's and he remained at the top for decades. He surpassed everyone in the originality department to boot.

Fripp is going to be my runner up. The innovator of the early progressive guitar sound. He came from outer space and his playing came from further out. So many people have been trying to replicate his style since the beginning, especially with recent bands like The Mars Volta.

If McLaughlin had kept his intensity (and original lineup) with MO, I'd actually take McLaughlin. He really ventured into other styles of music like World fusion and hard bop, which doesn't quite fall into the "prog" category. Having said that, I'll take McLaughlin as my all-time favorite guitarist with Zappa, Hendrix, Scofield, and Kurt Rosenwinkel close behind.

Nevermind about the Zappa comment, looks like Tengent mentioned him. Still though, Zappa only came to mind for 2 people? Really??

-------------
http://didyouseethosebats.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Did You See Those Bats? (a few songs from my band's live radio show)

Posted By: Takeshi Kovacs
Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 17:46
My favourite is Andy Latimer, closely followed by Dave Gilmour.

There are many other greats from different sub-genres, but I think these are the ones who stand out for me.

Andy Latimer can squeeze more emotion out of his guitar than anyone for me!

-------------
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 17:59
I'd like to see how many people posting replies to this thread play guitar, another instrument, or play nothing at all. Not that it changes the validity of anyone's opinion; just out of curiosity.

-------------
http://didyouseethosebats.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Did You See Those Bats? (a few songs from my band's live radio show)

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 18:20
Steve Howe
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Steve Hackett
Andrew Latimer

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 23:14
Steve Howe, Zappa, Roine Stolt, Omar RL.

Those are some, in no particular order.

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 23:31
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

All that tells me is that you over-use hyperbole.

Explain how and why and make this ubiquitous thread worthwhile.

Well you see, he carries around this large axe...

No really, I think he's one of the most innovative and yet still tasteful guitarists around.  Whether for his ensemble work with Henry Cow or Art Bears or any of the many groups he's been a part of or during his solo performances, he always plays something to astound me (in a good way).  Some of his prepared guitar pieces took a while for me to warm up to, but now they're a lot of fun to listen to.  Plus, from all accounts, I've heard he has a good sense of humor, and that's a plus as well.

My runners up (sticking especially to prog) are Frank Zappa (I'm sure people know about him and what he can do already) and Uchihashi Kazuhisa (he does some really amazing things with his guitar and pedals). 

If we were including artists outside of prog, Django Reinhardt and Derek Bailey would take second and third (respectively).

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 23:37
Sorry Mr. R I stopped reading this thread and didn't see your inquiry.

Mostly what Jon said; I've yet to hear any other guitarist whose sheer creativity and musicality hits me on so many levels as Frith, and, being a guitarist myself, the guitar player is generally the first thing I study in a group.

My second favourite prog guitarist is probably James MacGaw, I really loved especially what he did with One Shot.

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 23:40
Frith also gets extra points from me for his bass work - not always complex, but always fitting.  I'm a bassist.  Kudos for his violin playing too, and various percussions, etc. 

-------------

Posted By: progrules
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 03:31
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

John Mitchell (It Bites, Arena, John Wetton Band, Kino etc.) is all too often overlooked. All the names mentioned so far are indisputable greats, but John is pretty damn good too.

Cheers buddy ! Exactly my thoughts. By the way: John is also playing in Frost*. Check out Black Light Machine.

Other great ones are:

Roine Stolt
Karl Groom
Gary Moore
Alex Lifeson
Nick Barrett
Doug Ott
Gary Chandler
Michael Romeo
John Petrucci
Jimmy Page
Michael Schenker
Mirek Gil
Piotr Grudziński
David Gilmour

Alternative: Steve Hillage

-------------
A day without prog is a wasted day

Posted By: yam yam
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 16:06
He most certainly did play in Frost*, and received the Classic Rock Society "Best Guitarist Of The Year" award for 2006. Also sings, and is a recording engineer/producer too...a busy man of many talents!! Sadly Frost* was placed on infinite hiatus in March of this year, though Jem godfrey is working on some new material for a hitherto unnamed project, I believe.

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 16:41
Oh joy.

Howe, Hackett, Petrucci. 

And not a single f**k was given that day

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 18:42
Manuel Göttsching
Steve Hackett
Connie Veit
Davis Gilmour
Docteur Fripp
Luis Alberto Spinetta
Fred Frith
John Goodsall
John Weinzierl
Steve Howe
Frank Zappa
Ax Geinrich
Andrew Latimer
Martin Barre
Richard Pinhas
Franco Mussida
Aaargh - this is pointless. I could go on with a bunch of others and still be forgetting some. 
There is no greatest - only the one fitting your specific mood on any given day.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Garden of Dreams
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 19:41
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

Oh joy.

Howe, Hackett, Petrucci. 

And not a single f**k was given that day

Haha. It is such a typical answer but it is very true.  I have been getting into Steve Hackett's solo work and it is amazing (particularly The Steppes).

-------------
Just give it all an hour by the concrete lake.

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 20:14
In no order:

Hackett -- because of his innovative sounds and modes
Howe: because of his ability as a composer and the uplifting and spiritual feel to his music
The Japanese band Happy Family's guitarist -- just amazing, powerful work.
Anthony Phillips because Geese and the Ghost was such an amazing album
Fripp -- because what he did prior to 1975 with KC and what he did occasionally on his solo
albums and on a few tracks like with Eno and Gabriel.

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: Jbird
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 20:14
Originally posted by EchidnasArf EchidnasArf wrote:

I'd like to see how many people posting replies to this thread play guitar, another instrument, or play nothing at all. Not that it changes the validity of anyone's opinion; just out of curiosity.
I've been playing for 30+ years....still garage-band level playing but I pick up things quickly, I just can't play a million notes per minute :(

Some of my personal prog favs are:

John Petrucci
Steve Morse
Doug Ott (Enchant)
Michael Romeo (Symphony X)
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)

Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 20:21
I've been playing guitar for about 9 years now, I play jazz guitar mostly, and I've already mentioned my favourites.

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 20:26
Oh, yeah, I'm a keyboardist but more of a composer than performer of others music. 

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: avantgrind
Date Posted: July 07 2011 at 09:10
Lifeson, Fripp, Zappa

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: July 07 2011 at 09:58
Some of my current favourites:

Jeff Parker (Tortoise, Chicago Odense Ensemble, plus some solo jazz albums)
Glenn Branca (some of the most innovative electric guitar music ever)
Eivind Aarset (experimental/nu-jazz master, today's Gilmour)
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Plus a mention for the collective guitar sections of EITS, Battles, Jaga Jazzist, Natsumen or Agalloch, bands that I do listen for the guitar playing up to a certain extend, despite them not having anything to do withwhat is regarded is guitar virtuosity.

Posted By: caretaker
Date Posted: July 09 2011 at 15:23
The great Allan Holdsworth.

Date Posted: July 09 2011 at 16:07
^^ Definitely deserves mention. He and McLaughlin were the first fusion guitarists to my knowledge to touch on the "sheets of sound" concept developed by Coltrane. But Holdsworth really took it to a new level of technicality with his legato playing and left hand technique. This vid is a great example of how good he was at playing through the key changes.

-------------

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 07:52
Mclaughlin
Fripp
Howe
Hackett
Gilmour
Hillage
Di Meola
Frank Zappa

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: DavetheSlave
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 08:05
Although he is prog related I think that Tony Iommi deserves a mention for overcoming the accident to his fret hand - something that would have crippled the career of most methinks.

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Posted By: vakir
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 08:41
1. Andy Latimer
2. Steve Howe
3. Jan Akkerman
4. Robert Fripp
5. David Gilmour

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 09:55
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

My list:

1. Steve Hackett: The most emotional, he's as technical as the best ones and by far the more versatile.
  2. David Gilmour: His solos were aggressive and emotional.
  3. Jan Akkerman: Brilliant, and dramatic
  4. Steve Howe: Hard to beat, but IMO not the best.
  5. Carlos Santana: The perfect balance between technique and emotion.
  6. John Mc'Loughlin: More technical than all the previous, but a bit soulless IMHO.
  7. Yngwee Malmsteen: I believe he's Prog Related at the worst, and incredibly skilled
  8. Rich Williams: Criminally underrated
  9. Robert Fripp: Great but not the god many believe (IMO of course)
  10. Brian May: Unique
Iván

Robert Fripp is more of a god than that entire list of people however.  Most certainly towers over the depths of Yngwee Malmsteen.....eww...

And I used to like Tony Iommi, but he's a pretty cliche' rock guitarist.....theres just too many people that sound exactly like that for me to care about many blues guitarists anymore.  

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 19:48

No order here,.

Hackettt
Howe
Holdsworth
Fripp
Stolt
John Curulewski (Styx)
Blackmore
Gilmour
Oldfield
Hendrix
Zappa

Some of these guys get mentioned from sheer talent.  Some get mentioned because of the tastiness of their playing.

-------------

Posted By: Crimzonite
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 22:32
1:  Robert Fripp - Incredible style, technique, and dedication to the music industry.
2:  Michael Romeo -  Romeo made Symphony X famous, with those ripping, sweeping solos, and complex riffs.

I only have two favourites..I know there are many many more great guitarists, though.

Posted By: MillsLayne
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 23:39
My favorites in no order:

David Gilmour
Piotr Grudzinski (Reminds me a lot of Gilmour at times)
Steven Wilson (Not too complex, but creative with interesting ideas)
Steve Howe
Alex Lifeson (Guy doesn't get nearly enough credit next to Geddy and Neil)
Mike Vennart, Gambler and Steve Durose (as a trio)

-------------
http://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/MillsLayne/" rel="nofollow">

ht

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: July 13 2011 at 23:55
Jimi Hendrix
Robert Fripp
Adrian Belew
Steve Howe
David Gilmour
Martin Barre
John Du Cann
Steve Hackett
Jimmy Page
Brian May

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: Buddyman
Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 17:32
Ok.
What about a few from Central Europe?

Dežo Ursiny - Slovak guitarist vocalist and composer. Great bluesy type of playing, long notes.
Check

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgi3NFeyy-g                      lightweight and airy,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCYFS06vEJg                    short solo at the end - very simple yet atmospheric
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8i-vwY5ThQ                      faster and more agressive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXlWkh60dIE                     another faster and more agressive one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xooPWEYOcd4                  no his best track, but one of his best solos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDYagM8TpYg                   very melodic and soothing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IMkXb5GFHs                   bluesy

Radim Hladík of Blue Effect       I suppose most peope here know him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkUWk_MUSVI                his best solo in my opinion

Gyorgy Molnár of the band Omega from Hungary
Antimos Apostolis of Polish band  Niemen ( 1971 - 1973) and SBB
Tamás Bárta of Hungarian band Omega (the first albums only, up to cca 1975 - these are the best anyway
Michal Pavlíček   of Czech Pražský výběr, Stromboli, etc.
Luboš Andršt Czech guitarist of     Jazz Q and Energit
Slawomir Piwowar of     polish band SBB and also Aerolit (Niemen)
František Griglák     of slovak Collegium Musicum and Fermáta

Posted By: clarkpegasus4001
Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 18:58
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

i had also meant to mention Tony Bourge of Budgie-awesome!

He's the reason i'm playing at all...my hero.
Others I like in no order
Steve Howe
Jan Akkerman
Alex Lifeson
Paul Macdonnell

-------------
Tony C.

Posted By: mongofa
Date Posted: September 26 2011 at 22:42
Steve Howe
Robert Fripp
Steve Hackett
David Gilmor
Jan Akkerman

Posted By: 40footwolf
Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 02:21
1. Robert Fripp
2. Steve Hackett
3. David Gilmour
4. Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
5. Paul Masvidal
6. Steve Howe
7. Chuck Schuldiner
8. Brent Hinds/Bill Kelliher
9. Aaron Turner
10. John McLaughlin

-------------
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.

Posted By: awaken77
Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 02:53
Steve Howe
Andrew Latimer
Robert Fripp
David Gilmour
Phil Miller (canterbury bands)
Mick Rogers (of Manfred Mann's fame)
Gary Moore (Colosseum II years)

Posted By: By--Tor
Date Posted: September 30 2011 at 01:29
Robert Fripp
John McLaughlin
Alex Lifeson
Steve Vai
Tony Iomi
Jimmy Page
David Gilmour
Steve Howe
Ritchie Blackmore
Omar Rodriquez Lopez
Jimi Hendrix
Brian May
Carlos Santana

Posted By: PinkfloydgenesisELP
Date Posted: October 02 2011 at 09:10
My Top 5 Prog Rock Guitarists

1. Jan Akkerman (Focus)
2. Steve Hackett (Genesis, solo)
3. Steve Howe (Yes, Asia)
4. Robert Fripp (King Crimson)
5. Frank Zappa (Solo, The Mothers of Invention)

Posted By: PinkYesGongMachine
Date Posted: May 03 2012 at 10:33
STEVE HOWE    - Should be named "Steve Wow"
DAVID GILMOUR - Who can get more emotion out of ONE chord or string bend???
ROBERT FRIPP - Technical wizard.
STEVE HACKETT - Technical wizard.
JOHN PETRUCCI - Chameleon and technical wizard.

Posted By: dtguitarfan
Date Posted: May 03 2012 at 11:22
Tosin Abasi (seriously, YouTube this guy, but be careful - you might have to reattach your jaw)
Steve Vai (he gets progressive sometimes...)
John Petrucci
Johan Liefvendahl
Mats Haugen

-------------
http://tinyurl.com/cy43zzh" rel="nofollow - My 2012 List

Date Posted: May 03 2012 at 15:08
It's really sad how underrated Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is as a guitarist. He is by far my favorite guitarist of all time. 
Versatile, unique, interesting, and doesn't come off as pompous. He is the perfect hybrid. 

Televators, Cassandra Gemini, Drunkship of Lanterns, Goliath, Tetragrammaton. Great exposure to some of his material that pops into my head instantly. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: May 03 2012 at 20:54
My all time favourites!:
Alex Lifeson
Steve Howe
Stephen Hackett
Robert Fripp
John McLaughlin
Frank Zappa
Gary Green
Allan Holdsworth
David Gilmour
Al Di Meola
Omar Rodriguez Lopez
John Petrucci
Mike Oldfield
Steve Rothery
Jan Akkerman
Andrew Latimer
Kim Mitchell (Max Webster)
Ian Williams (Don Caballero)
Paul Wagonner (Between The Buried And Me)
Robby Krieger
Billy Corgan

-------------

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: May 03 2012 at 21:09
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

It's really sad how underrated Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is as a guitarist. He is by far my favorite guitarist of all time. 
Versatile, unique, interesting, and doesn't come off as pompous. He is the perfect hybrid. 

Televators, Cassandra Gemini, Drunkship of Lanterns, Goliath, Tetragrammaton. Great exposure to some of his material that pops into my head instantly. 

From the two Mars Volta albums I've heard, I've been really impressed with his guitar work.  Maybe he's not the greatest technical guitar player of all time, but I would much rather have him in a band than Petrucci or Yngwie or any of those type of players.  Lots of people can play fast and interesting parts but few can compose guitar music like Omar can.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Date Posted: May 03 2012 at 21:35
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

From the two Mars Volta albums I've heard, I've been really impressed with his guitar work.  Maybe he's not the greatest technical guitar player of all time, but I would much rather have him in a band than Petrucci or Yngwie or any of those type of players.  Lots of people can play fast and interesting parts but few can compose guitar music like Omar can.

Which albums if i may ask? Because he sure can solo/shred when the man wants to. Ala Goliath. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: spknoevl
Date Posted: May 04 2012 at 07:35
Allan Holdsworth
John McLaughlin
Robert Fripp
Markus Reuter
Steve Howe
Steve Hackett
Jan Akkerman

-------------
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: May 04 2012 at 11:26

Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Which albums if i may ask? Because he sure can solo/shred when the man wants to. Ala Goliath. 

Deloused and Noctourniquet.  I don't mean that he's not technically skilled, just that it's not his real strength like it is for the shred guitarists I mentioned.  But I'll have to listen more closely to his playing because I realize that technical skill goes way beyond speed and shed techniques.  Just as a new TMV fan I was more impressed with his compositional skill than his technical skill.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: May 04 2012 at 12:51
I know this is redundant, but other than that ... but why the hell not?

(in no particular order):
R. Fripp
J. McLaughlin
B. Jansch
D. Gilmour
S. Howe
J. Weinzierl
The Edge
Conny Veit/Daniel Fichelscher (Popol Vuh)
Vini Reilly (The Durutti Column)
D. Byrne/J. Harrison (Talking Heads)
F. Zappa (nearly phenomenal guitarist)

------ And then down below (so far. I still have to get to know them better. I said "So far".) ---------
M. Barre (JT)
S. Hackett
A. Holdsworth
A. Phillips
L. Stephens (Blue Cheer)
B. Sumner (Joy Division)
G. Harrison
P. Miller
J. Page
R. Sosna/J-H. Peron

Don't ask me where Jimi is. I still just don't like his guitar styles in general.

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: May 06 2012 at 23:20
Originally posted by DavetheSlave DavetheSlave wrote:

Andy Latimer - the feeling the man can produce from a guitar is at times unbelievable
Steve Hackett - One of the engines behind the brilliant period of what is arguably the best prog band of its or any        other time.

Agree with all but Moore.  Since he's not prog, I don't know him...

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 07 2012 at 00:53
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

With Colosseum he was

(bit hissy but you get the idea)

Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: May 08 2012 at 18:39
Already posted this on another one, but why not.
1. Steve Howe
2. Bert Jansch
3. Steve Hackett
4. Anthony Phillips
5. John McLaughlin
6. John Renbourn
The rest in no specifiic order
Jimmy Page
Steve Rothery
Martin Barre
Andy Latimer
David Zackrisson

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: May 12 2012 at 21:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

With Colosseum he was

(bit hissy but you get the idea)

Made a believer out of me.  I stand corrected on Gary Moore (playing with Colosseum...)

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 00:20
Posted in this topic about a year ago and realized I never put Frank Zappa on my list. Whoops.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 05:55

I saw the tour of McLaughlin, Di Meola and Paco De Lucia and that was guitar heaven. Seeing Stanley Jordan live also left me speechless.

BTW I play guitar amateur level. So difficult to pick up the "greatest" but some other favourites not in any order are:

Hackett:  he seems to understand guitar in quite a different way from most guitarists and this makes him unique, I love his approach.

Fripp:  the same, unique and always challenging.

Gilmour, Rothery and Latimer:  not technically amazing but such a feeling.

Shawn Lane:   great skill, too bad he never got to play in a band of his level (RIP).

Steve Vai:  much of the music he makes is not that great but he is damn good with the axe. Same goes for Yngwie Malmsteen, Tony MacAlpine, Greg Howe or Michael Lee Firkins.

Brian May:  what he did in his best years is unrepeatable.

Howe:  great balance playing electric but without much distortion, and great work with the steel too. Did some great acoustic songs but I always wondered why he could never repeat the inspiration and 30 years on he still has to play The Clap or Mood For A Day as his acoustic highlights.

Nuno Bettencourt:  not a prog legend but the work he did in Extreme's Three Sides To Every Story was amazing, too bad he never played in a prog band and became alcoholic, really a wasted huge talent. 

Alan Holdsworth:  technically impeccable, too bad his compositions were not always great.

Petrucci:  too bad that he is not a softer progger but I have to take my hat off for his technical skills and hard work.

Steve Morse:  great picking technique and he has written some really good music although not too proggy.

The list could go on and on...

Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 06:38
Maybe not prog, but this man is to the Spanish guitar, what Hendrix is to the electric:

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: bb1319
Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 08:06
No particular order:
-Steve Howe
-John McLaughlin
-Robert Fripp
-Andy Latimer
-David Gilmour
-Steven Wilson
-Frank Zappa
-Allan Holdsworth
-Alex Lifeson
-Jonny Greenwood (maybe prog-related? Either way, I love his guitar tone)

-------------
"I'd say that what we hear is the quality of our listening." -Robert Fripp

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 15:24
Trevor Rabin 
Steve Hackett
Alex Lifeson 
Steve Howe
John Mitchell
John McLaughlin
Adrian Belew
Steve Hillage
Allan Holdsworth
Brett Kull
Francis Dunnery
Jan Akkerman
Andy Latimer
Markus Steffen
Brian May

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 00:08
What, no Peter Banks??  

More or less in order....

Robert Fripp
Steve Howe
Steve Hackett
Peter Banks
John McLaughlin
Allan Holdsworth
John Goodsall
"The Amazing" John Clarke (Bruford)
Daryl Stuermer
Adrian Belew

...and many more, most have hit the best ones (except for forgetting about PETER FREAKING BROCKBANKS!!)Angry

Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 05:12
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

What, no Peter Banks??  
...and many more, most have hit the best ones (except for forgetting about PETER FREAKING BROCKBANKS!!)Angry

Sell it to us. What would you recommend ... or post?

Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 18:13

Sell it to Prog Archives??  This is one of the very few sites in the universe that recognizes Pete's genius! 

Yet (probably ... probably) no one included him into the list.

Face it, he was one of the first, right there with Bob Fripp (they were flatmates in those days, and you can hear the common influences including use of volume pedal & fuzz tone).  

Wow. Did not know that.

His work with Yes was more subtle than Howe's but very elegant....and they guy does not hurt for chops at all!  

Recommended listening: Flash "In the Can" and "Out of our Hands," "Two Sides of Peter Banks," and his various guest roles. 

Pete never had the success of his peers, I've never quite figured that out.  Personality?  Personal issues?  Eccentricity?  Regardless, he shaped the sound of prog much more than some listed (Patrucci is an excellent technician, but I don't find him to be very subtle, and he seems to blow away at full speed constantly.)

Check out Banks' licks at 2:06 of this little gem:

There's an error. Is it on YouTube?

Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 23:52
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Sell it to Prog Archives??  This is one of the very few sites in the universe that recognizes Pete's genius! 

Face it, he was one of the first, right there with Bob Fripp (they were flatmates in those days, and you can hear the common influences including use of volume pedal & fuzz tone).  

Wow. Did not know that.

His work with Yes was more subtle than Howe's but very elegant....and they guy does not hurt for chops at all!  

Recommended listening: Flash "In the Can" and "Out of our Hands," "Two Sides of Peter Banks," and his various guest roles. 

Pete never had the success of his peers, I've never quite figured that out.  Personality?  Personal issues?  Eccentricity?  Regardless, he shaped the sound of prog much more than some listed (Patrucci is an excellent technician, but I don't find him to be very subtle, and he seems to blow away at full speed constantly.)

Check out Banks' licks at 2:06 of this little gem:

There's an error. Is it on YouTube?

Sorry, the connection dropped, here's the vid......2:06!   I like this one for showcasing Ray Bennett's Rick bass as well. 

Pete was there at the very beginning, his influence on Yes alone makes him one of the greatest prog guitarists in history.  

Patrucci?  He benefits from modern equipment, lots of schooling that wasn't available 40 years earlier, and the musical tradition started by guys like Banks and Fripp.  

http://www.themarqueeclub.net/interview-peter-banks-yes" rel="nofollow - http://www.themarqueeclub.net/interview-peter-banks-yes

This is a must-read interview with Pete....his career isn't studded with the sheer volume of work of his contemporaries, and yet, I savor every note he played!   I only wish he had found sidemen who would have been up to his talent level & ambition (Two Sides Of PB hints at that).  Enjoy!

Date Posted: May 15 2012 at 00:06
^ Nice solo around 2:08 Thumbs Up . One of those guitar tones I like Smile .

Date Posted: May 15 2012 at 18:34
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Wow. Did not know that.

This is from the Peter Banks interview I posted earlier:

-And Robert Fripp ended up living with you in the same flat in Fulham where you used to live with Yes before. Is that right?

Yes, when Flash we were rehearsing in '72. That was a strange thing when Robert Fripp moved in because Bill (Bruford) was the last one who moved out and that was a little bit strange because Bill and I we were still sharing this flat along with his girlfriend and my girlfriend, and I actually got fired from  http://www.themarqueeclub.net/yes" rel="nofollow - Yes , and it was a bit of a strange thing. Because they all still said that they didn't know I'd been fired until that day. And we did a gig and then I was told I had to leave. 

So for Bill and I would be very difficult, particularly because we would share the kitchen and the bathroom and I wouldn't talk to him at all, and that was for several months! (laugh). And then of course, when Fripp moved in, Fripp had just recruited Bill and they were working in 'Lark's Tongues In Aspic' with John Wetton, and Fripp would ask me how were the rehearsals with Flash, if it was a good day and that. 

But I never asked Fripp how rehearsals were because I didn't want to start talking about Bill, I had still a big grievance about why I was got rid of. It wasn't until Flash became quite successful and toured America that I felt a bit better about the whole thing. All of that was a bit strange.

(I would have loved to have dropped by that flat on a good day!!  CStack3)

Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: May 19 2012 at 02:10
I've recently discovered the Swedish band Trettioariga Kriget, and their guitar player Christer Akerberg is fantastic.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: May 19 2012 at 03:00
^ Yeah baby!!

Posted By: ScorchedFirth
Date Posted: June 01 2012 at 03:50
70s - David Gilmour
80s - Steve Rothery
90s - John Petrucci
00s - Piotr Grudziński http://www.riversideband.pl/en/band/band/piotr-grudzinski" rel="nofollow -

-------------
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

Posted By: MokRodrigues
Date Posted: June 01 2012 at 21:32
NOT IN A PARTICULAR ORDER
Steve Howe
Steve Hackett
David Gilmour
Robert Fripp
Allan Holdsworth

Posted By: Lightworker
Date Posted: June 02 2012 at 15:01
If I could only pick 2 it would be Fripp and McLaughlin 

Posted By: Lord Anon
Date Posted: June 07 2012 at 17:32
My favourite prog guitarists are: -

1. Steve Howe
2. Alex Lifeson
3. Steve Hackett
4. Jimmy Page
5. John Petruci

HeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbanger

-------------

JOHN 15:18 :

Jesus said: -"if the world hates you, remember that it hated me first."

Posted By: Matthew _Gill
Date Posted: June 07 2012 at 18:52
1. Steve Hackett
2. David Gilmour
3. Andy Latimer
4. Jonny Greenwood
5. Steve Harris

I suppose Hackett must top all guitarist polls, I don't think there's any genre he couldn't take to and add his own styles whilst being regarded as one of the best in that field. I suppose it's that added innovation that makes him quite probably the best. 

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOoJ0OTLg0&t" rel="nofollow - Click here to see a mind-blowing Flashlight

Posted By: Jabez7
Date Posted: September 23 2013 at 23:47
Not in order:

Steve Howe
Jan Ackerman
Brian May
Martin Barre
Alex Lifeson
Richie Blackmore
David Gilmoure
Jimmy Page
Dave Murray
Gary Green 

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 23 2013 at 23:54
Martin Barre

-------------

Posted By: floflo79
Date Posted: October 21 2013 at 07:16
In no particular order :
Steve Howe
Steve Hackett
Martin Barre
Jan Akkerman
David Gilmour
Alex Lifeson
Mike Oldfield

-------------

Posted By: Led_Rush_Floyd
Date Posted: November 03 2013 at 16:16

Steve Howe

David Gilmour

Alex Lifeson

Robert Fripp

Steve Hackett

Jan Akkerman

Ritchie Blackmore (if you consider him prog)

Posted By: Led_Rush_Floyd
Date Posted: November 03 2013 at 16:18
Oh and I forgot about Martin Barre 

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: November 03 2013 at 17:24
Steve Hackett
Frank Zappa
Adrian Belew
Robert Fripp
Tony Duhig
Jan Akkerman
Fred Frith
Henry Kaiser (Jr.)

Has anyone else mentioned Tony Duhig?

Posted By: GLM
Date Posted: August 10 2015 at 10:30
Allan Holdsworth
Robert Fripp
Steve Howe 
John McLaughlin
Gary Green

Date Posted: August 10 2015 at 12:06
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Maybe not prog, but this man is to the Spanish guitar, what Hendrix is to the electric:

Instant love on the rebound. I haven't listened to this since I made the above post. Katjing!

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 10 2015 at 12:23
Let's get some names up there for the underdogs and somewhat unfairly obscure guitarists then:

Michael 'I'll be the suave dove over in the corner sipping big gulps of butter' Karoli aka The Eternal Trip To The Beach:

Reine Fiske (bless his fingers)) - The Chameleon man number two that at times plays like the perfect combination of David Gilmour and Jimi Hendrix playing lead in a post rock outfit:

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Mista-Gordie
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 07:44
Robert Fripp
Ritchie Blackmore
Steve Hackett
John McLaughlin
Steve Lukather
Al di Meola
Terry Kath
Steve Howe
Steve Hillage
Andy Latimer
Alex Lifeson
Brian May
Jan Akkerman
Frank Zappa
Tosin Abasi
Guthrie Govan
Mike Oldfield
Franco Mussida

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 21:31
The usual suspects:  Hackett, Howe, Akkerman, Hillage, McLaughlin, but one of my favorites was/is Michael Gottsching, especially the bluesy early Ash Ra albums.  And don't leave out the often overlooked Peter Banks.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Pheres
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 06:26
1 - Andrew Latimer.
2 - Pino Marrone. 
3 - Robert Fripp.
4 - Jan Akkerman.
5 - Steve Hackett.

Posted By: SeeYouInSpain
Date Posted: February 13 2016 at 04:17
1. Steve Hackett
2. Mike Oldfield
3. Anthony Phillips
4. Andrew Latimer
5. Steve Howe
6. Jan Akkerman
7. Robert Fripp
8. Gary Green
9. John McLaughlin
10. Steve Hillage

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 13 2016 at 04:38
There are dozens upon dozens of phenomal guitar players out there, especially in Progland.
The ones that really excite me at this point in time :
David Gilmour (probs my ultimate favourite guitarist in existence)
Steve Hackett
Nick Barrett
Manuel Gottsching
Steve Howe
Andy Latimer
Bruce Cockburn (coz he is a phenomenal player)
Fredrik Thordendal
Roine Stolt
Phil Miller
Ax Genrich
Richard Pinhas
Jorma Kaukonen
John Cippolina
Ed Wynne
Fred Frith
Steven Wilson
Reine Fiske
Todd Rundgren
Mario Millo
Steve Rothery
Vincent McCusker
Terry Kath
Alan Morse
Frank Zappa
Phil Mercy
Chris Fry
Mike Holmes
....................just the tip of the iceberg for me.......................

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk