Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80574
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 04:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Olias Vs Fish out of water
Posted By: jean-marie
Subject: Olias Vs Fish out of water
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 13:34
Very difficult to choose my very favourite one....What about you?

Replies:
Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 13:39
The one that isn't boring new age garbage

-------------
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't

Posted By: clarkpegasus4001
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 13:47
The Fish man!

-------------
Tony C.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 14:20
The pointer of my mouse has indulged a lot on Olias, but at the end I have voted for the Fish, Silently Falling makes the difference to me.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 14:22
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The pointer of my mouse has indulged a lot on Olias, but at the end I have voted for the Fish, Silently Falling makes the difference to me.
  Yes silently falling is a great piece Thumbs Up

Posted By: ProgShine
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 14:27
Not so hard to me, Fish Out Of Water is my favorite, better than some Yes albums (or most of it).

-------------
https://progshinerecords.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 14:39
I don't like Fish Out of the Water, but at least it's not boring New Age.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 14:50
I haven't been able to get into Olias despite several tries, but Fish is a fairly enjoyable piece of Yes-lite.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 15:16
Olias new age? Confused

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 15:23
The new age garbage is my choice.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 15:33
Not too difficult for me: Olias is definitely a good album (4 stars imho) albeit New Age avant la lettre, but Fish Out of Water is, as far as I know, the best mid-70's solo output of any Yes member (5 stars).

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 16:03
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

Olias new age? Confused

At least Proto New Age IMO

Iván

-------------

Posted By: JesusisLord
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 16:21
One mans boring new age garbage is another man's treasure.....Olias, one of my all time  favorite albums.....Mystical,Magical,beautiful and special to me......

-------------
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 16:48
Yeah, I can't believe Olias is getting trashed. Angry

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 16:52
As a musician, Squire.  As a drinker, Anderson.

I cannot choose.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 16:56
The one with Bruford on drums.

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 17:27
Fish all day, everyday - I love this album! I think it has been said that this is every bit as good as many Yes albums, and better than some!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 17:35
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Olias new age? Confused

At least Proto New Age IMO   Proto new age? WOW!!!   LOLLOLLOL   Maybe you should add Protogarbage to PA

Iván

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 17:58
Olias is my choise. Now I know I own one new age album Big smile

Fish is very good album and certainly better than some Yes album, ie. FFH, Drama, Big Generator, Talk, Ladder, 90125 ...

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 20:24
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I cannot choose.

I'm not sure what that means but it was funny.LOL

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 20:41

Olias new age? Confused

At least Proto New Age IMO   Proto new age? WOW!!!   LOLLOLLOL   Maybe you should add Protogarbage to PA

Iván

I never use the word garbage to refer to a song, artist or album.

I said Proto New Age only because the term New Age Music started to be used in the late 70's and Olias is from 1976.

BTW: I wouldn't add a single sub-genre to Prog Archives, I believe we have at least 2 or 3 that are unnecessary, plus I believe New Age has no relation with Prog

Iván

BTW II: On an interview for New Age Music World, Jon  admits he's part of the New Age Movement

JP Olsen: Early in your career you were leader of Yes, a phenomenal and popular Rock group, yet you also produced music in less mainstream genres, including New Age and Contemporary Christian music. What is the reason you performed in respected but less mainstream music?

Jon Anderson: Music takes on your Sacred Journey, I have a deep belief that we are changing for the better again, and music can be a sign post to what is happening around the world, people all over the world ‘love’ music, so why not enjoy being a part of the ‘new age’…

So as usual, I go to the source directly

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 21:00
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I cannot choose.

I'm not sure what that means but it was funny.LOL   I understood he prefers listening to Olias when he's a bit drunk..

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: August 20 2011 at 09:14
Fish Out of Water.

Date Posted: August 20 2011 at 13:53

I believe New Age has no relation with Prog

I think that newage is borderline with prog. I have approached newage music (not the movement) in the 80s, when there was lack of good prog and I was looking for instrumentals longer than 3 minutes.

Lucia Hwong (with Alan Stivell featuring in all her albums), Kitaro (former Far East Family Band), Mark Isham (check out his "Tibet") are just examples. I feel them closer to prog than some artists already on PA.

Other than Jon Anderson also Rick Wakeman, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Pat Metheny , Peter Bardens to mention some artists on PA have done newage. 

Of course I like prog more, but digging into the newage world you can find interesting things, though I would never suggest Yanni for addition. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 20 2011 at 14:26

Olias new age? Confused

Iván

I never use the word garbage to refer to a song, artist or album.

I said Proto New Age only because the term New Age Music started to be used in the late 70's and Olias is from 1976.

BTW: I wouldn't add a single sub-genre to Prog Archives, I believe we have at least 2 or 3 that are unnecessary, plus I believe New Age has no relation with Prog

Iván

BTW II: On an interview for New Age Music World, Jon  admits he's part of the New Age Movement

JP Olsen: Early in your career you were leader of Yes, a phenomenal and popular Rock group, yet you also produced music in less mainstream genres, including New Age and Contemporary Christian music. What is the reason you performed in respected but less mainstream music?

Jon Anderson: Music takes on your Sacred Journey, I have a deep belief that we are changing for the better again, and music can be a sign post to what is happening around the world, people all over the world ‘love’ music, so why not enjoy being a part of the ‘new age’…

Thanks for that.

New Age doesn't automatically equal crap guys.  Once you take that attitude you are cutting yourself off from some good music.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: August 20 2011 at 14:49
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Thanks for that.

New Age doesn't automatically equal crap guys.  Once you take that attitude you are cutting yourself off from some good music.

In no way I said it's crap (The member who mentioned the word Garbage wasn't me) , I like some New Age, like Kitaro, Issao Tomita, Andreas Vollenweider, but can't stand Jon Anderson's solo stuff (Neither The Friends of Mr Cairo Angry), Yanni or Enya, the three work like Valium.

What I said is that New Age is not Prog, and I find no connection between both, except for some artists who moved from one genre to the other.

New Age is closer to Ambient  or Contemporary Adult Instrumental than to Prog.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: August 20 2011 at 16:52
I'm surprised at the bashing of Jon's album.

I think it's a pretty good one myself.

I've yet to hear Chris' though.

-------------

Date Posted: August 20 2011 at 18:14

Well! thanks you Octopus and Slarti to explain my ideas in a better way than me, my english is so poor,it's my problem, PA is the best site to talk about music, but my english is so Confused I do realy think ther's a link between Prog and the best New age music, one from the best head music is IMHO New age of earth by Ash Ra Manuel Gotching so.......and i'm still wondering why vollenweider is not seen as a Prog musician, his music is so Ying Yang

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 07:19
Squire.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 07:42
I would support Vollenweider, at least "Book Of Roses" is progressive. 

-------------

Posted By: Mr B
Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 09:12
Easy choice....Fish Out of Water. A great CD.

Posted By: GypsyJoker
Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 09:21
Nothing against Olias, but Fish is as good or better than any of the Yes albums that came after it.  In fact, it might be evidence that Squire's waning influence on the band's songwriting (with the primary exception of Drama) is the biggest reason for the band's decline.

Posted By: fusionfreak
Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 14:05
For me Chris Squire but Olias of Sunhillow is really good

-------------
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king

Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 10:14
16 for Olias, not that bad...but i knew Fish would be the winner

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 14:17

I cannot choose.

LOL

I will choose though. Olias works those milky-way aural paths so befitting of Jon. The ol´ hippy yogi - talking mantra and spirituality and nowhere better than on this release. And I just voted for fish in another poll - the singer. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 16:01

Correct. Olias predates New Age by several years.  Neither would most of the tracks on it qualify as New Age music now.

.BTW: I wouldn't add a single sub-genre to Prog Archives, I believe we have at least 2 or 3 that are unnecessary.
Correct again.

plus I believe New Age has no relation with Prog.

Incorrect. There is certainly room for a New Age prog out there.  However, I will grant that nobody has attempted New Age prog in a compelling way yet.  It is still mostly fallow ground.

Some  people will believe whatever they read.  First note the magazine's title.  Of course Jon is going to claim the he does New Age music, which of course is true now.  But the quote has nothing to do with Olias and obviously antedates Olias by many years.

-------------

Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 16:06
Originally posted by Lark the Starless Lark the Starless wrote:

I'm surprised at the bashing of Jon's album.

I think it's a pretty good one myself.

I've yet to hear Chris' though.
It's worth a listen.  As other people have mentioned, Silently Falling is exquisite.  Lucky Seven is tasteful muted jazz.  Cannon Song is a small, mediocre epic type things.  Hold Out Your Hand and With You By My Side are two decent songs that suffer from Chris singing vocals.  It's a good album, but it doesn't have the scope, the grandeur or the charm of Olias.  On the other hand, Fish is a more consistant production, lacking the few low points Olias has.

-------------

Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 17:05
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

plus I believe New Age has no relation with Prog.

Incorrect. There is certainly room for a New Age prog out there.  However, I will grant that nobody has attempted New Age prog in a compelling way yet.  It is still mostly fallow ground

That's exactly my point, nothing exists until invented.

I don't absolutely deny the possibility of some sort of Prog New Age MAY be created, but until TODAY, New Age has no relation.

I never believed something like Prog Salsa could exist, but Santana mixes Salsa elements with Proggy passages and IMO Ruben Blades has created several proggy salsa tunes in "Maestra Vida", not enough to add him, but he's in the way.

Some  people will believe whatever they read.  First note the magazine's title.  Of course Jon is going to claim the he does New Age music, which of course is true now.  But the quote has nothing to do with Olias and obviously antedates Olias by many years.

I believe in what Jon says, specially if I agree with that belief.

IMO Olias has a lot of New Age elements (As ATOTT has Neo Prog elements), despite it predates New Age...But not only Olias, also his albums with Vangelis except maybe parts of "Short Stories".

No matter where Jon said he's part of the New Age movement, he said it, I'm sure that if he was interviewed for a metal magazine, he would never say he is part of the Metal movement

And I'm not alone, Google Olias Of Sunhillow - New Age, and you will even find people claiming Olias is the first new Age album ever.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 17:20
Lol, 100,00 Frenchmen can't be wrong, huh? 
Olias of Sunhillow is New Age in the exact same way that Led Zeppelin I is prog.  Their entrance stamps are backdated.

-------------

Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 18:10

Olias of Sunhillow is New Age in the exact same way that Led Zeppelin I is prog.  Their entrance stamps are backdated.

That's why I said some sort of Proto New Age Wink

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 03:31

NukeExclamation That's what puzzles me: When I looked in this thread for the last time, Fish had just a few more votes than Olias, but now it is 112 against 21. I don't know if the Frenchmen are behind this, though...

-------------

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 03:41
112 ???? I have voted Fish, but I'm not sure that he has sold so many copies Confused
That's really strange, even because I see no sense in bribing in a poll in general and on this one in particular.
Who likes Fish would probably like Olias, too.

-------------

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 05:45
What about the french men? i was the only one on this poll...and the result...It's stupid Angry

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 05:53
Effectively I don't understand the meaning of "French Men".  A hacker maybe?

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 06:34
I'm quite surprised Fish is so far ahead. I like both but I think I love Olias a bit more.

PS - I've seen rumours of JA recording Olias II.

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 06:36
I see this poll allows multiple votes, that explains a lot.

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 06:40
Yes! bad joke and always these sarcasms about frenchies even throught music lovers....Man isn't about to change....So sad...Dead

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 07:09
French out of water? Tongue

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I see this poll allows multiple votes, that explains a lot.

I gave a few votes for Olias, but seeing Fish was behind I gave it a few more. LOL

That's why I said some sort of Proto New Age Wink
I don't have a problem with that.  Some others that fit that bill: Sally Oldfield's Water Bearer, Shadowfax's Watercourse Way, Jon and Vangelis' Short Stories, and yes, even Fish Out Of Water.

-------------

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 07:17
This is getting silly now.

Posted By: FunkyHomoSapien
Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 09:40
Squire

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 13:49
LOL, if the labels see this, they'll release a new edition  of  Fish Out of the Water albums. Big smile

Please,. stop multiple option polls

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 15:01
I'll close this one to allow Jean to create a new one permitting only single votes.Wink

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk