Print Page | Close Window

Yes-The Gates of Delirium

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80802
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 16:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yes-The Gates of Delirium
Posted By: Catcher10
Subject: Yes-The Gates of Delirium
Date Posted: August 28 2011 at 22:11
I just finished listening to Side 1 of Relayer, I dunno for maybe the gazillionth timeWink. Anyhow I was wondering if there is any part of this Yes epic that you do not like?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 28 2011 at 22:20
Nope.

One of my top 3 sings ever.

Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: August 28 2011 at 22:22
Not really, but the end bit drags a little

-------------
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't

Date Posted: August 28 2011 at 23:03
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

Not really, but the end bit drags a little

That's me too...

-------------

Posted By: frippism
Date Posted: August 28 2011 at 23:14
Personally as time went on I thought that maybe "Soon" could have gotten a little shorter, but in general that is a great Yes epic, and I think that Moraz seriously kinda beats Wakeman and I sorta wish he stayed because the synth sounds Wakeman made in the late 70s... God the man had no boundaries to cheesiness.

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 00:33
The album would be perfect without "Soon"

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 00:50
GoD is perfect in every way.

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 03:05
One of my favourite prog tracks after Suppers Ready and Karn Evil 9. Can't agree with others about Soon. This is essential to me. Light and Shade.

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 04:26
Easily top 5 greatest prog rock composition ever made. Yes has 3 in that category.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 05:10
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Personally as time went on I thought that maybe "Soon" could have gotten a little shorter, but in general that is a great Yes epic, and I think that Moraz seriously kinda beats Wakeman and I sorta wish he stayed because the synth sounds Wakeman made in the late 70s... God the man had no boundaries to cheesiness.

Personally I think that Moraz was a disaster for Yes. Broke up refugee for one. Wakeman was never the same when he returned to Yes, second (GFTO the exception). Thirdly I would have preferred Moraz to have more say on the way Relayer panned out and given the quality of much of Moraz's solo work, for example Story of I, Relayer could have been much better had Moraz been given more input into the album. As for Relayer itself, the album is so overrated on this site I don't know where to start. The playing in the main suite is over the top virtuoso guitars and keyboards doing their own thing. The lyrics are terrible. The end of the main suite when Soon begins is a relief to the grating guitars that preceded it and the best part of Gates Of Delirium. Side 2 is easily the best music on the album. 

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 07:11
No, not really. Soon could be a little shorter, but it's still a beautiful bit of music.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 11:04
It's incredible, and Soon is one of the most sublime endings of a song in musical history.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 11:13
I wouldn't change anything about it.

Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 11:22
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Personally I think that Moraz was a disaster for Yes. Broke up refugee for one. Wakeman was never the same when he returned to Yes, second (GFTO the exception). Thirdly I would have preferred Moraz to have more say on the way Relayer panned out and given the quality of much of Moraz's solo work, for example Story of I, Relayer could have been much better had Moraz been given more input into the album. As for Relayer itself, the album is so overrated on this site I don't know where to start. The playing in the main suite is over the top virtuoso guitars and keyboards doing their own thing. The lyrics are terrible. The end of the main suite when Soon begins is a relief to the grating guitars that preceded it and the best part of Gates Of Delirium. Side 2 is easily the best music on the album. 

Has there been published info about Moraz not being involved in the production of Relayer? Also if your opinion of Moraz in Yes was a "disaster"...why would you want him involved more?Confused

Maybe its just me but I think most of Yes's lyrics are terrible.....almost too deep for me, I'm pretty simple I guess. But it is a great, great 21:00 of magic.

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 12:16
This thread is the first time I'm seeing people complain about the "Soon" section since I joined this site.

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 12:21
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

This thread is the first time I'm seeing people complain about the "Soon" section since I joined this site.

Wait until Sound Chaser comes and the Cha Cha Cha. Wink

Still rated Relayer with 5 stars

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 12:32

Two things made me post the question...

1) Middle "war" section
2) Ending "Soon" section

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the "war" section.

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 12:59
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Two things made me post the question...

1) Middle "war" section
2) Ending "Soon" section

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the "war" section.

Yknow, I forgot the original intent of this thread. I thought it was just an appreciation thread.

But still, there is nothing wrong with the song. Only Close to the Edge tops it, and Heart Of The Sunrise just below it.

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 13:06

^ Well I think we all appreciate the song as a whole.........I just think people are expressing their feelings about certain parts, which can be interesting too.

-------------

Posted By: A B Negative
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 13:12

I love every part of Gates of Delirium (but I can't stand side 2 of Relayer).

-------------
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 13:19

^ Well I think we all appreciate the song as a whole.........I just think people are expressing their feelings about certain parts, which can be interesting too.

Maybe Yes's 5th most interesting epic.

It falls behind

Awakening
Close To The Edge
Ritual
The Revealing Science of God

Mind Drive and The Remembering would give it a good run for it's money as well.

-------------

Posted By: Conor Fynes
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 18:30
Its so chaotic.. i love it!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 18:50
I really love that song too. It's all great. I wouldn't like it so much if any part was removed... though the particular "war section" may be chaotic (and I would certainly not be interested in hearing it outside the context of the song), it's still an integral part of the song, and the song just wouldn't do without it (and as is often the case with this chaotic sections, the return to melody is all the better because of them). The "Soon" section is sublime just as it is. However, for me this song is so much better on the Symphonic Live album... just amazing stuff, I never need to listen to the original version having the symphonic one instead.

Posted By: GypsyJoker
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 19:46
One of Anderson's best lyrics, and just behind CttE in prog-epic-land.

Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 01:21
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

Its so chaotic.. i love it!
the chaos is completely deliberate. Prior to recording the album Anderson played the main riff on a piano to the rest of the band and they thought he was nuts! (so everything normalLOL)

Posted By: clarkpegasus4001
Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 01:24
I love it in fact the entire album that's why Relayer is my fave Yes album. 

-------------
Tony C.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 08:18
I love every part of it!

Posted By: criticdrummer94
Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 09:14
Utterly Fantastic. To me, Sound Chaser is a perfect track

-------------

MY IDOLS

Posted By: knumorvid
Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 09:52
The only thing that bugs me with this album is the sloppy guitar playing ! 

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 11:20
Originally posted by knumorvid knumorvid wrote:

The only thing that bugs me with this album is the sloppy guitar playing ! 

Or rather "chaotic" guitar......which is liked quite a bit here.

-------------

Posted By: Capt Fongsby
Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 18:31
Relayer is one of my favourite Yes albums and I think The Gates of Delirium is a masterpiece. Especially the war section.

Never thought of it as chaotic.

P.S. "Sloppy guitar playing"??? That makes no sense to me, unless it's irony.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 05:26
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

One of my favourite prog tracks after Suppers Ready and Karn Evil 9. Can't agree with others about Soon. This is essential to me. Light and Shade.

I agree, regarding Soon. Lovely track.

Relayer overall is a Yes album that took me ages to get into. Just recently I've been playing it a lot, and it's on track to being one of my top prog albums. I'm learning to love the chaos of G.O.D.

It's very different to the albums that went before. I love the production too!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 05:38
For those who enjoy Relayer, i suggest  you to listen to the latest cd from Simon Says "Tartigrade" who was influenced by Relayer in some songs.  (brother where you bound)Great Stuff! You can check here that it is clear in the guitar work especially :

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: February 16 2012 at 01:06
I personally think the epics of Yes from Close to The Edge till Relayer albums are fine - even though some of the live versions are yet much better than the studio recordings.
The only problem for me with the "Soon" coda is the overusage of it due the single release. Edit: For clarification, I otherwise think it is great part of the composition, bringing celestial ending to the chaotic war sequences. Truncating pieces like this is similar from classical music as arias are cut off as hits from complete plays. Well.
Don't miss Wakeman's presence here, Moraz was a fine player also, different from his approach though.
I believe the change was logical if Tales from Topographic Ocean was a wrong direction for him.

I just finished listening to Side 1 of Relayer

Hurry to the second side, getting ever better there! Big smile

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: February 16 2012 at 01:41
Love such a hot / aggressive / desert atmosphere except "Soon".

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: February 16 2012 at 06:35

I think that Moraz seriously kinda beats Wakeman and I sorta wish he stayed because the synth sounds Wakeman made in the late 70s... God the man had no boundaries to cheesiness.

Take a listen to the Yesshows album - recorded during the transitional phase, so you get both Wakeman & Moraz: iknteresting comparison & a great live album.

As to 'Gates...' in my opinion, a faultless track on a great album.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: dennismoore
Date Posted: February 16 2012 at 07:54

I just finished listening to Side 1 of Relayer, I dunno for maybe the gazillionth timeWink. Anyhow I was wondering if there is any part of this Yes epic that you do not like?

Yes, the part where anybody would have the unmittigated audacity to criticize any part whatsoever of this absolute
masterpiece!  

I would say though that the mastering or overall recording of the record sounds a bit thin & a bit shrill.  Smile

Have you heard the nice stereo Holmdel, New Jersey show with Igor on keys?  That version of Gates is much warmer.

-------------
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire

Date Posted: February 16 2012 at 14:41
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Yes, the part where anybody would have the unmittigated audacity to criticize any part whatsoever of this absolute
masterpiece!  

I would say though that the mastering or overall recording of the record sounds a bit thin & a bit shrill.  Smile

Have you heard the nice stereo Holmdel, New Jersey show with Igor on keys?  That version of Gates is much warmer.
Also a great version on Yes Symphonic with Brislin on keys

Date Posted: February 16 2012 at 14:59
Originally posted by richardh
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Also a great version on Yes Symphonic with Brislin on keys[/QUOTE richardh
Also a great version on Yes Symphonic with Brislin on keys[/QUOTE wrote:

Hi richardh,
Hi richardh, Smile

Yes indeed, except Tom's keys aren't mixed very high on that.concert in general.

But... all those Dutch young coed musicians in the orchestra, a real nice addition to Gates, for sure.   Big smile

Europe is cool.Cool

-------------
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire

Date Posted: February 16 2012 at 19:14
I do like much better the version on the Symphonic album. Haven't notice much about the keyboards being lower in the mix... but that orchestra, I just don't want to hear that song without orchestra again, it becomes so much more beautiful, and perfectly complements the band, without overwhelming it, nor being used as merely background. Also, the version of Close to the Edge on this CD/DVD is really great. Oh, and another thing I love about that DVD is that, unlike other videos with orchestras acompaning bands, the orchestra really looks like they are enjoying being part of the concert, instead of being seated and serious without showing any emotion.

Date Posted: February 17 2012 at 01:51
Yes Symphonic is my favourite music DVD by some considerable margin. I had it on standard DVD for many years and immediately pre ordered it on Blu Ray when it became available in HD. Absolutely wonderfull versions of Gates, Close To The Edge and Ritual.

Date Posted: February 17 2012 at 07:54

Yes Symphonic is my favourite music DVD by some considerable margin. I had it on standard DVD for many years and immediately pre ordered it on Blu Ray when it became available in HD. Absolutely wonderfull versions of Gates, Close To The Edge and Ritual.

Yes, the High Definition audio was needed in this case.  JA played a lot of chimes on the songs and standard DVD wasn't enough to stop the chimes from sounding overly metallic& digitally sampled it really affected the sound.  With the HD audio that problem is gone. Smile

Also concerts like "Yes Symphonic" are the reason why YES should not just retire and grow old gracefully like MANY
people have suggested here.  When YES were in their prime the technology just did not exist to properly archive or showcase this fine band. I LOVE my Yessongs, but the audio is garbage.  Yeah it took a few decades, and YES are older, but discs like Yes Symphonic and the recent Live From Lyon realy show the band in all their audio glory.
Other people can argue about wrinkles or weight issues. I could care less. For me its about that glorious music.

My dream would be for YES to do concerts like SteelyDan did of different albums each night and have all that filmed and recorded in HiDef, so when they are gone the music will live on in all its glory

Big smile 

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 03:11
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Yes, the High Definition audio was needed in this case.  JA played a lot of chimes on the songs and standard DVD wasn't enough to stop the chimes from sounding overly metallic& digitally sampled it really affected the sound.  With the HD audio that problem is gone. Smile

Also concerts like "Yes Symphonic" are the reason why YES should not just retire and grow old gracefully like MANY
people have suggested here.  When YES were in their prime the technology just did not exist to properly archive or showcase this fine band. I LOVE my Yessongs, but the audio is garbage.  Yeah it took a few decades, and YES are older, but discs like Yes Symphonic and the recent Live From Lyon realy show the band in all their audio glory.
Other people can argue about wrinkles or weight issues. I could care less. For me its about that glorious music.

My dream would be for YES to do concerts like SteelyDan did of different albums each night and have all that filmed and recorded in HiDef, so when they are gone the music will live on in all its glory

Big smile 

Must admit I havn't taken the plunge with Live In Lyon as yet

I take your point about audio but Yes Symphonic stands up as performance as well. The whole band are playing really well and the orchestra adds another layer to the music and also a visual feast (yep I'm a sucker for a pretty girl!). Really lovely stuff all round.
Yes just playing on their own and wrinkles and all. Less sure about thatWink

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 09:25

Must admit I havn't taken the plunge with Live In Lyon as yet

Do I miss JA?  Sure I do.  But BD does a fair jon and the band is MUCH more energetic and front & center,
Steve's guitar has more effects, Chris sings louder... etc...  Lyon is worth it for Machine Messiah & TF, but HOTS
& Starship Trooper were very pleasant surprises as well....  Oh, Astral Traveler is AWESOME, I say. Big smile

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 12:40
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Iván

While I like that piece a lot ... and so many New Age'rs took to it away from that album, it was not my favorite piece in the album. The title piece was ... even though it had a couple of moments that were not necessary, as I thought once or twice that they were extending things a bit more than it needed to ... but it was YES, and no one was going to tell the guitar to shut up and the keyboards not to re-cue and sync everyone else over it many times ... causing a few moments that appeared to be an amazing mish-mash ... that sounded pretty good.

I like this era in YES, and I find it sad that Moraz did not stay longer and help out more, and do even more, because his technical ability with the equipment was definitely not an issue.

My order for YES albums will always be TFTO and then Relayer, then CTTE. I enjoy a lot of Fragile and the Yes Album, but I prefer the total let go and free form-ness of the next 3 albums, which I think they lost after that.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 12:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

but I prefer the total let go and free form-ness of the next 3 albums, which I think they lost after that.

You mean when they started playing pop music?  Yeah, I'd say that's a good call.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: June 03 2012 at 14:37
No, I don't think there is; it's an absolute masterpiece. It might just be my favourite Yes song ever. Every time I listen to it, it just amazes me at how the guys could create something of such grandeur and prowess. Every member plays with such amazing musicianship and the composition just flows very consistently. Also, the Soon section is one of the most beautiful pieces of Music I've ever heard. 

-------------

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: June 03 2012 at 15:10
The Soon part is a little too long.

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: June 03 2012 at 15:50
I've long loved the entire work "Relayer," including the weak bits & warts!  It was an inspired effort, and one of Yes' masterworks. 

However, once I read this interview with Moraz, my opinion of the band changed somewhat, and I never listened to it again in the same light.  

http://dmme.net/interviews/moraz.html" rel="nofollow - http://dmme.net/interviews/moraz.html

Moraz talks about the composition and tours, and how he ended up getting the financial shaft from the band!   That part ticks me off, I saw the tour twice & I don't like knowing that Moraz got shafted out of my own ticket expenditures!  

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: June 03 2012 at 17:35
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

-------------

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: June 03 2012 at 19:25
I'm not really Yes fan. There was a time when they were my favorite band, but it's too hippy now for me. I like darker stuff, like Crimson and Genesis (there's something about Genesis that I find very dark), but Relayer remains one of my favorite albums ever, with Gates being one of my favorite epics.

GoD is perfect and dark, and has good lyrics in contrast to most of the other Yes tunes. Every section is just superb. Vocals are great in the beginning and in the end, they open and close the composition, and "The Battle" section is really chaotic and powerful and it can bring me right on the battlefield with that guitar and keyboard sounds. Soon is the best Jon Anderson vocal performance I've heard, with its beautiful lyrics and atmosphere.

In conclusion, I think Gates of Delirium is ultimately better piece than Close to the Edge, even if CttE has better lineup.

Posted By: dtfan92
Date Posted: June 03 2012 at 19:40
Definitely one of their best tracks, along with Close to the Edge and a lot of their other epics. It's definitely up there in my top 5 Yes songs due to how energetic it sounds.

Posted By: stacyj
Date Posted: June 03 2012 at 20:57
actually? Soon,is all i got from Relayer!
im surprised so many liked the album?

Date Posted: June 03 2012 at 21:00
and me beg to differ!
Close To The Edge?
way more YES!!!

Posted By: MattGuitat
Date Posted: June 03 2012 at 21:04

Iván

The album is perfect with Soon.

Date Posted: June 03 2012 at 21:34
Like i said!
im surprised so many like Relayer?
....as far from Time and A Word till now?
dont ya Love Andersons voice?

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: June 03 2012 at 21:36
Originally posted by MattGuitat MattGuitat wrote:

Iván

The album is perfect with Soon.

Approve Yeah, Steve's slide guitar is gorgeous and Jon's voice shines.

-------------

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: June 03 2012 at 23:19
Listening to it right now. It's one of their more interesting works.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: DaveyByTheSea
Date Posted: June 04 2012 at 04:56
To go slightly off thread for a second....i got into Yes thru Rick Wakeman and a bit after they're pomp around 1979 ish...i asked for a couple of LP's for my birthday that year and got Tormato and Yessongs. Of course I fell in love with both although some might see them as at the opposite ends of their work! So for Xmas the following year I asked for the same and got Yesshows and Relayer. After the big impression that Yessongs had I decided to play the Yesshows LP first...and was blown away by "Gates". When I eventually got round to listening to the studio version I was slightly disappointed at the angular, crystalline feel of the track ( I think in both cases it was the production and the intention that were the differences) To me the live version seems a lot slower and more lush which suits the "Soon" section and the bass and drums were a lot more deep and resonant on the "War" section. I wouldnt change anything on either track though.

-------------
Skyline Teacher taught me everything!

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: June 04 2012 at 05:03

Iván

I agree with you. Weakest section.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: June 04 2012 at 09:41
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

The album is perfect with "Soon"

Iván

I agree with you.

Fixed to the max Wink

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2012 at 19:09
Originally posted by DaveyByTheSea DaveyByTheSea wrote:

To go slightly off thread for a second....i got into Yes thru Rick Wakeman and a bit after they're pomp around 1979 ish...i asked for a couple of LP's for my birthday that year and got Tormato and Yessongs. Of course I fell in love with both although some might see them as at the opposite ends of their work! So for Xmas the following year I asked for the same and got Yesshows and Relayer. After the big impression that Yessongs had I decided to play the Yesshows LP first...and was blown away by "Gates". When I eventually got round to listening to the studio version I was slightly disappointed at the angular, crystalline feel of the track ( I think in both cases it was the production and the intention that were the differences) To me the live version seems a lot slower and more lush which suits the "Soon" section and the bass and drums were a lot more deep and resonant on the "War" section. I wouldnt change anything on either track though.

The version on "Yes Symphonic" is even better.

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: June 04 2012 at 19:48
I like the idea of a peaceful ending to the song, but the melody of "Soon" always sounds too much like "The Way We Were".

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: criticdrummer94
Date Posted: June 04 2012 at 20:50

Iván

Soon is beautiful

-------------

MY IDOLS

Date Posted: June 05 2012 at 02:43
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by DaveyByTheSea DaveyByTheSea wrote:

The version on "Yes Symphonic" is even better.

I would agree. The orchestra adds another layer of 'lushness'.

Date Posted: June 05 2012 at 12:15
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

I like the idea of a peaceful ending to the song, but the melody of "Soon" always sounds too much like "The Way We Were".

I can hear that........funny

-------------

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: June 05 2012 at 14:01

Totally destroyed the song for you, didn't I?

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Date Posted: June 05 2012 at 14:08
anyway enough with relayer!
toooooooo instumental!
...lets get everyone back2gether again!
...but guess thats not possible!
anyway their cool in my book of life!!!!!Approve

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: June 05 2012 at 14:13

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

The album is perfect with "Soon"

Iván

I agree with you.

Fixed to the max Wink

That was a tricky one LOL

I think Soon is great too, one of Jon's most emotive sections ever.

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: June 08 2012 at 12:25
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It's incredible, and Soon is one of the most sublime endings of a song in musical history.
Thumbs Up

Posted By: FromAbove
Date Posted: June 08 2012 at 12:40

I think that the next three albums wouldn't have existed if The Gates of Delirium didn't happen. It's not one of my favorite tracks as a whole, I believe some of the sounds on the song to be annoying or hard for me to listen to. Soon is probably the most melodic part of the album, except for some parts of To Be Over, even more so than some stuff on the previous albums.

Live versions of this song, from either live albums or RoIOs, are incredible though Cool

Date Posted: June 08 2012 at 19:23
Even if Realyer or (the gates of delirium)didnt happen?
They still would of carried on their music!!!
As the Name YES ...remains today!!!Approve

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: June 09 2012 at 18:56
After about 7 minutes this song goes backwards and it's clear Yes were running out of compositional ideas. They still had some cool compositions but not enough to fill an album. That's where all the experimental album filler bits comes in. Soon is a bit eerie and boringish. Soundchaser is a bit the same, just becomes annoying and repetitive in the second half. Yes were always best from 1969-1972. But you could see the band starting to run out of ideas even on CTTE. By 1974 bands like Yes, Crimson and ELP were as good as finished. Although Crimson were good in the early 80s again. But honestly the Wetton era of 1973 and 74 wasn't as good as so many make it out to be in here

Date Posted: June 10 2012 at 00:39
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

After about 7 minutes this song goes backwards and it's clear Yes were running out of compositional ideas. They still had some cool compositions but not enough to fill an album. That's where all the experimental album filler bits comes in. Soon is a bit eerie and boringish. Soundchaser is a bit the same, just becomes annoying and repetitive in the second half. Yes were always best from 1969-1972. But you could see the band starting to run out of ideas even on CTTE. By 1974 bands like Yes, Crimson and ELP were as good as finished. Although Crimson were good in the early 80s again. But honestly the Wetton era of 1973 and 74 wasn't as good as so many make it out to be in here
,,,oh really? justthought they were changing with the times?
Close to The Edge?
....enough to mold me!!!!!
John Wetton era?
....enough to mold me!!!!!
I still love em!!!!!  ApproveApproveApprove

Posted By: bb1319
Date Posted: June 11 2012 at 13:51
Soon is the perfect ending, and I couldn't imagine GoD without it.

-------------
"I'd say that what we hear is the quality of our listening." -Robert Fripp

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: June 25 2012 at 02:01
It's my favourite Yes song, so I think its Perfect!

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: June 25 2012 at 15:12
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

So good that we have you to clear those things up for us. 

Gates of Delirium is storytelling through music, and I think its done perfectly. Too me its strange that you can't feel the compositional idea as a (successful) whole. The war section kills and Soon is sublime. I'm no huge fan of Yes but Relayer is incredible. Love the Chak, chak's.

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2012 at 17:59

Totally destroyed the song for you, didn't I?

Apperantly not......I guess that means I like "The Way We Were"......LOL

-------------

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: June 26 2012 at 14:38
Haven't listened to it for a long time - I like the Live version on Yesshows better than the studio version !!!!
The bit after the battle cacophony is one of the best synth/bass combo's EVER...Also love the clanking industrial guitar of Howe throughout...acemans....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 02:44
On second thought maybe Soon could have built up to a more "epic" sounding ending. I've always kind of disliked the way it sort of fades away near the end. Oh well still a 4.95 out of 5 for me. Big smile

Posted By: wjohnd
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 03:37
I have to be in the right mood for it, but when I am it's one of their best tacks.
It's shrill and 'metallic'/cacophonous, but that's clearly part of the musical story and something that other prog artists could learn from (I'm looking at you Dream Theater)

and the Soon section is great. A welcome calm after the storm.

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 10:56
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Haven't listened to it for a long time - I like the Live version on Yesshows better than the studio version !!!!
The bit after the battle cacophony is one of the best synth/bass combo's EVER...Also love the clanking industrial guitar of Howe throughout...acemans....

I need to spend more time on the live version.......seems more folks like this one.

-------------

Posted By: Zargasheth
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 11:26
"The Gates of Delirium" is definitely my favorite Yes song. The sheer energy and chaos of the middle instrumental section is enough to blow me away. I would agree that "Soon" doesn't quite live up to the rest of the piece, but it's still a fitting conclusion.

Posted By: Progathon
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 18:31
What !!! Are you mad ???? :)
Wink

Posted By: Progathon
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 18:32
What ??? Are you mad ??? :)

Posted By: Codera the Great
Date Posted: July 02 2012 at 00:55
Nah, I love it all from front to back. It's one of their most exciting epics I think. Clap

Posted By: Codera the Great
Date Posted: July 02 2012 at 00:58
I do agree with the people who have mentioned it, The Yes Symphonic version is simply god-like in every proportion of the word!Star

Posted By: lmaorofllollmao
Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 13:52
nope, my favorite yes song.

-------------
EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

Posted By: gazagod
Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 14:50
a lot of love for this track here... and it's my favorite as well...  i love the Relayer album... howe's guitar/squonk really chases a lot a listeners away on this oneClap

-------------
we only know that we do not know

Posted By: YrLic
Date Posted: December 08 2015 at 22:14
I bought this album when it was first released and was initially put off by various things.
Jon's voice, the song lengths, the cha-cha ... You name it.
It took me quite a few listens to get into Gates, but it is now - easily - my favorite Prog track.
Each section of Gates has meaning. The opening is a quick synopsis, then the rationalization to war, the battle in the middle, the 13/4 victory, then shocked into consciousness and awareness via Soon.
As a single, Soon doesn't work because it's devoid of its context. Let alone seems totally inappropriate in a singles market.
That said, Gates is a complete masterwork from five class musicians all at the top of their game.

Posted By: YrLic
Date Posted: December 08 2015 at 22:19
The live version on Yesshows is fabulous.
I also enjoy the 1975 NPR version.
Not crazy about the symphonic cut though. I like synths !

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: December 09 2015 at 09:49
Dunno, Relayer, coming right on the heels of the over-the-top TFTO, is a jumble....it's all sound and fury, but it leaves me cold.  It just doesn't sound like Yes.....I was once playing the album and a friend asked me if it was the Dixie Dregs!  The metallic fusion just doesn't come to mind as a Yes strong suit.  I don't hate Relayer, but I rarely play it.....too noisy, man.  And "Soon" is my favorite part of the album - it's the lull from the screeching....but those lyrics!  Sometime I wish Jon just scatted indecipherably instead of enunciating so clearly.....I love how Jon wrote to fit the music, but sometimes I wish he'd have taken a step back and let the music speak for itself. 

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: December 09 2015 at 12:04
I think the lyrics to Gates of Delirium, especially Soon, are brilliant.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: December 09 2015 at 13:59
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

This

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: December 09 2015 at 16:00
Originally posted by Codera the Great Codera the Great wrote:

I do agree with the people who have mentioned it, The Yes Symphonic version is simply god-like in every proportion of the word!Star

that is an amazing version Clap Love it love it love it.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: December 09 2015 at 17:10
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I can attest to that as well!

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: December 09 2015 at 17:14
in fact... putting it on now Thumbs Up

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: December 09 2015 at 18:22
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I can attest to that as well!

a stunning version of one of best songs in the world.  Who could ask for more?  (Listened to it on the way home)

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: December 09 2015 at 19:28
an amazing track that "Gates of Dellirium", the best Yes' epic IMHO. and i really do like Patrick Moraz on it.
btw - Roger Dean cited "Relayer" as his favorite Yes' album.

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: December 09 2015 at 19:33
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I think the lyrics to Gates of Delirium, especially Soon, are brilliant.
i agree. great lyrics indeed.  

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk