Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81040
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 00:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stange bands from the 60s
Posted By: pony tail
Subject: Stange bands from the 60s
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 10:59
What are some of the strangest rock bands from the 60s you own on cd  or have heard  andI I do mean stange to the point of being weird or out of touch with sanity and flipped off the rocking chair. looks and sounds all count in making a band strange.The 60s had trucks loads of stange bands so give it your best shot I would love to hear what you have to say.    Clap

Replies:
Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 11:16
XOHL CARAVAN comes to mind but you've got this thread in the wrong section.Just sayin'.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 11:23
Originally posted by pony tail pony tail wrote:

What are some of the stangest ock bands from the 60s you own on cd  o have head  andI I do mean stange to the point of being weid o out of touch with sanity and flipped off the ocking chai. looks and sounds all count in making a band stange.The 60s had tucks loads of stange bands so give it you best shot I would love to hea what you have to say.    Clap
Fixed Tongue
(Pat, I'd like to buy a consonant.)

Rrrrrrrr matey.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 11:43
Strange albums you say?

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

Cromagnon - Orgasm

Düreforsög - Knee

Pholas Dactylus - Concerto delle Menti

The Residents - Eskimo

Faust - Fist

Igor Wakhevic - Docteur Faust

Koenjihyakkei - Angherr Shisspa

Frank Zappa & The Mothers - We´re only in it for the money

Third Ear Band - Alchemy

Now you said strange albums - I know some that are more extreme than these, which I don´t find particularly strange per se, but those I´ve mentioned are really weird and absurd sounding- and in a good way too IMO. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 11:48

^But he is asking just for ones from the 60s.

The first one to spring to my mind, though not that weird really, is an artist rather than band name: Jean le Fennec.  Here is a track from his 1968 album Phantastic.

Arthur Brown is worth mentioning.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 12:00
Damn I completely missed that - sorryEmbarrassed 
I´m a bit tired from my studies today - so things are going pretty slow. My eyes look at words now but naturally form up there own mind... Toooooooo many words! 

Cromagnon, Captain Beefheart, Zappa still counts then, and I can´t remember if Third Ear Band´s debut was released in the 60s..?
Soft Machine also did some pretty fun stuff back then methinks.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 12:08
Third Ear Band's Alchemy is from '69.  I like that album very much.

-------------

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 12:12
^Kind of like the whole album by now (didn't at first)
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Strange albums you say?

Cromagnon - Orgasm

That one is from the sixties. The worlds first death metal/black metal song. There's not enough bagpipes in metal.

Cro-Magnon also invented drone on the same album by simply slowing down this track  two thirds as well (Toth Scribe 1). Sounds great too. Clever. From 1969. Sounds either like its made 10000 years ago, or in the future.

In 1969 Franz Auffray made an intriguing concept album about popping popcorn. With that he invented B-boy beats:

Its actually a killer album. The 11 minute Son of Popcorn is a true epic.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 12:19
I like Orgasm a lot, been quite a while since I last listened to it .  I'm digging Franz Auffray -- gotta get that album.  I think I may have a Dusty Fingers compilation album with one of the tracks.

-------------

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 12:57
Moondog

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 13:16
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
KC - ItCotKC
David Bowie - Space Oddity
Alice Cooper - can't remember the album name something like Prettys...I think it belonged to one of my mom's sisters for some reason I have it. Played it many years ago and thought weird.

-------------

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 15:36
AMM Music is a wondrously strange album from the mid 60s that still casts a long shadow today.

The first Red Krayola album - a series of 'free form freak outs' punctuated by deconstructed psychedelic pop songs - is also pretty out there.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 20:28
One of my favorite subjects:

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 20:38
Sweetbreads & Co.
The Penis Puppies
Snodgrass, Lick, and Vanderpump

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 20:41
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
KC - ItCotKC
Alice Cooper - can't remember the album name something like Prettys...I think it belonged to one of my mom's sisters for some reason I have it. Played it many years ago and thought weird.

I assume the Alice album was Pretties For You.  It was one of the first releases on Zappa's Straight Records label, along with the GTO's and Wildman Fisher.  That probably tells you all you need to know about it.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 02:24
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^Kind of like the whole album by now (didn't at first)

That was supposed to relate to Phantastic, but a couple of posts snuck in between.

The Spoils of War is somewhat like a further out version of USA or Fifty Foot Hose.

I don't think they ever got a proper release in 67-69 when they they recorded these, but now there's two albums by them. The selftitled is the one to get first.

Of course no one were stranger than Tiny Tim. Have a look at his outrageous performance (singing about global warming) on this kids show. Great song too:

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 02:32
St John Green: Messages From the Dead (fast version of Dante's Inferno) 1968

To be honest, this album isn't really strange enough to qualify. But a couple of songs are.

-------------

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 08:36
Not a band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvwhuDcq5ZY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvwhuDcq5ZY

Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 08:54
Just a track as well, but this one always makes me think of ducks:

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 13:42

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 15:18
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
KC - ItCotKC

I assume the Alice album was Pretties For You.  It was one of the first releases on Zappa's Straight Records label, along with the GTO's and Wildman Fisher.  That probably tells you all you need to know about it.

Yup...that's it! Now I just gotta find it....Its not in my "normal" LP boxes.

-------------

Posted By: Sheavy
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 18:06

-------------

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 19:06
One i remember, still have the double vinyl LP with the Tarot cards insideWith Schulze, Gotching, Dollase......

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: September 10 2011 at 10:57
French musician Jean-Jacques Perrey, one of the pioneers of electronic music with his cheesy electronic experiences :

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: September 10 2011 at 11:14
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stange" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stange

Name

The municipality (originally the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parish" rel="nofollow - parish ) is named after the old Stange farm ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Norse" rel="nofollow - Old Norse : Stangir), since the first church was built there. The name is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural" rel="nofollow - plural form of stǫng which means "bar, pole, rod". (The farm is lying on a long hill, and this is probably the background for the name.)

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 10 2011 at 17:32
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stange" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stange

Name

The municipality (originally the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parish" rel="nofollow - parish ) is named after the old Stange farm ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Norse" rel="nofollow - Old Norse : Stangir), since the first church was built there. The name is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural" rel="nofollow - plural form of stǫng which means "bar, pole, rod". (The farm is lying on a long hill, and this is probably the background for the name.)

Thumbs Up
You have turely shed new lite on the thread title.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: September 10 2011 at 21:30
one of the weirdest is the group Terence, with their one album "An Eye For An Ear" , which is a weird name for a record in the first place
         what is also odd, is that some songs are almost commonplace, and then you have the weird ones that take the cake
            this band was fronted by singer Terry Black

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: December 01 2012 at 21:18
The United States of America-same (surprised it hasn't been mentioned).

Family-music from a doll's house (some of it anyway)

Rolling Stones-Their satanic majesties request (definitely not a typical stones album but it's their psychedelic masterpiece).

The Beatles-revolver (probably the weirdest beatles album)

Pink Floyd-Ummagumma

Genesis-from genesis to revelation (first time I heard it I thought it was really weird; I suppose compared to their other stuff it is or at least very different).

Frank Zappa-Lumpy Gravy (other than Ummagumma probably the weirdest sixties album I've heard).

Date Posted: December 01 2012 at 21:50
I found them all strange

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 01 2012 at 21:57
AMON DUUL II - Phallus Dei.....................if that's not strange enough........

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: December 01 2012 at 23:14
John Lennon released three pretty far out albums in the late 60s -
Two Virgins, Live with the Lions and the Wedding Album

George Harrison's Wonderwall Music (1968) is also a bit out of left field.

others that come to mind -

The Edgar Broughton Band (Dawn Crept Away from Wasa Wasa comes to mind)
Walter Carlos - Switched on Bach and The Well Tempered Synthesizer
The Fugs - everthing they did
The Holy Modal Rounders - ditto
The Incredible String Band - heaps of albums all with weird folk music
Chicago - Free Form Guitar (on their first album)

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 05 2017 at 05:58
I listened at some point to a couple of songs from a 1969 (or was it 68?) album from a band that sounded like proto black metal (if there ever was one}. I don't remember the name of the band though. 

Date Posted: October 05 2017 at 06:19
^ High Tide ?

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 05 2017 at 06:27
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ High Tide ?

no
I'll search for it and get back here.

Date Posted: October 05 2017 at 06:31

the vocals sound like black metal shrieking at times...

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: October 05 2017 at 09:48
Les Maledictus Sound was 1968 I believe.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Date Posted: October 05 2017 at 09:49
PUSSY - Plays
Great album, very little known.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 16:33
William R Strickland- is only the name (1969)
Incredible String Band- 'the 5000 spirits or the layers of an onion' and  'the hang-man's beautiful daughter' 
Also 'Music in a dolls house' by Family, one of the BEST  and oddest English lps of the 60's.. the were the quintessential 'Strange band'!!

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 17:04
Graham Bond Organisation and Simon Dupree, both formed or shaped musiciand which would dominate prog rock and so on,

-------------

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 17:25
White Noise

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 22:11
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

PUSSY - Plays
Great album, very little known.

One of my favorites...have that on cd....  :)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: October 10 2017 at 22:20
If you want strange music from the 60s then you cannot ignore the great SUN RA
His 60s output is some of the strangest avant-jazz ever to hit the Earth like an asteroid from the insane asylum

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 03:21
Out of touch with sanity...? If it was that weird they probably didn't get a recording contract..  LOL...

I always though Trout Mask Replica by Beefheart was out there....never could get into it except for a few tracks.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 03:32
Ha ! I just noticed : ‘stange’ (as opposed to strange......lmao - (hey, I’m way far from perfect too ......)

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 09:38
One stange band from the Sixties that I'm sure must have already been mentioned here is Strawberry Alarm Clock, if only for the fact that its singer on its hit Incense and Peppermints, 16-year-old Greg Munford, wasn't even a member of the band. As legend has it, he was asked to sing the Sixties anthem after its writer and non band member John Carter was dismissed because of his poor singing.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 13:46
Godz - Contact High With the Godz from 1966.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 06:19
Family- music from a doll's house

Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 06:23
Based on what I've read(and the little of what I've heard)I'd say that the album that takes the cake here(aside from maybe ummagumma)is the collaboration between Spooky Tooth and Pierre Henry called Ceremony. 

Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 13:47
^ That's a very strange lp! virtually unlistenable due to the weird treatments he put on top of the music.. and Spooky tooth! what a weird pairing! Its a period piece but that's about it.

Music in a dolls house is just one of the best british lps from that late 60's period.. a real corker!
The name of their 1970 ep sums them up!
Image result for family strange band ep

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 22 2017 at 08:33
Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

The Incredible String Band - heaps of albums all with weird folk music

I never thought this was weird. As Robin has stated, it was more of a mix of poetry and theater that drove both him and Mike to create what they did, and unfortunately, it was not as well received as it should have been mostly as it seems that rock audiences are not as in tune with poetry and theater ... to appreciate the newer and more inventive way of presenting it.

Poetry, up to then, was mostly read alone, and you kinda imagined what it was all about ... though some readers were magnificent in their own way. The best example I have was Allen Ginsburg, that does not read well, but when you hear him read it, it explodes out loud. Others that knew poetry and sang a lot like it, was Jim Morrison ... whose work, I always thought was more movie oriented than poetry or theater, but it came alive really loud and clear.

The "strange" side of it comes around when we expect things to sound the same ... and when we see/hear something different, it will be thought of as weird and strange, and they are far from it.

I just listened to the Edgar Broughton Band's first 4 albums and then caught a live show of theirs many years later on the tube, and ... it was not even strange. You could tell that it was serious and well defined and beautifully brought out, even if we thought it was strange and weird, and in the end, it wasn't. 

I often say that we are more strange and weird than the artists. They have the art to show for it, and we don't, and the only thing we can do is comment on it! To me, Picasso, Dali, Miro ... you name it, are not strange or weird ... this was their expression, and how they saw it. As 10CC would say ... how dare you?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: October 23 2017 at 12:40
Was this thread moved? I thought it was in the main prog discussion section. I don't usually look anywhere but there. 

Anyway, I thought of another one. If this one hasn't been mentioned yet it really needs to be since this is probably one of(if not THE)best examples of a strange sixties band I can think of and the band is.........

The United States of America

You can't get much weirder than that for a sixties band. It's sort of a cross between psychedelic, experimental and proto prog with even a bit of proto new age/ world music thrown in. Defintely ahead of it's time in terms of approach and instrumentation(some tracks feature not just early synths(for lack of a better term)but also early drum machines). 

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: November 04 2017 at 21:49
Everything from the Velvet Underground (& Nico) in the 60s was weird to me--as was The White Album and PFloyd's first two. A little too inscrutable and peculiar for my musical sensibilities at the time.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: November 05 2017 at 16:35
How strange is strange...?
13th Floor Elevators
The Monks
The Sonics
Gandalf
50 Foot Hose
United States of America
Silver Apples
those are all 'strange' to me..........

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: November 05 2017 at 18:47
^ Yeah, the 50 FOOT HOSE one is really out there. There are also free improve bands like AMM that were fairly out there for the day

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: November 05 2017 at 23:30
Third ear band is very good Sun Ra in the middle age.

Posted By: Dragon Drop
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 16:11
These guys did some pretty far–out stuff in their all–too–brief career (only two albums, both in 1968). Though based in Ohio, they also included one member from England and one from Australia. Here they wrote two songs -- one a snarling punk–rocker, the other a soft "paisley-psychedelic" tune -- and spun them together into a long, swirling medley that foreshadowed the rock-opera arrangements of the Who's "Tommy" the following year.

Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 16:16
What's really strange is the way this thread seems to hop around from one place on here to the other. Smile

Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 16:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

How strange is strange...?
13th Floor Elevators
The Monks
The Sonics
Gandalf
50 Foot Hose
United States of America
Silver Apples
those are all 'strange' to me..........

I already mentioned United States of America. Strange album indeed. I'll have to check out the others. Also, the late sixties Grateful Dead albums and "After Bathing at Baxters" by Jefferson Airplane are suppose to be rather strange also. Not sure what else of the top of my head. I do remember thinking that the very first Genesis album was really weird the first few times I heard it(especially the weird sound in between the first and second song).  Also, has White Noise "an electric storm" been mentioned yet?

Date Posted: November 07 2017 at 13:50
White Noise 'Electric storm in Hell'... bbrrrr that was one creepy lp (well if youre about 16 and stoned and listening to it in the dark.. err, which I was!)

I thought i'd mention 'Love'.. I guess some may not consider them particularly strange but Arthur Lee was a rather eccentric personality and 'Forever changes' showed a real mix of delicate beauty, harmony mixed with a strange sense of dread and some of the lyrics are very strange indeed!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk