Print Page | Close Window

Richard Wright

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Discription: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81049
Printed Date: September 18 2014 at 00:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.69 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Richard Wright
Posted By: octopus-4
Subject: Richard Wright
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 15:02
The anniversary of Rick's death is close. I'm surprised to see that there are only two threads on PA with his name.
One is a poll and another is just a collection of few people denigrating Zee - Identity.

This thread is to remember the "hidden genius" behind the Pink Floyd's sound.

While I'm writing I'm listening to The Division Bell, the album that contains his last song.

So long, Rick.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.

Replies:
Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 15:09
I don't care much about Pink Floyd anymore, but when I did he was my favorite member because he always knew how to play the perfect thing. The close but not quite there organ on Your Possible Pasts I think shows how Roger missed him too.

Also, there are way more than 2 threads about him on PA, move the search back to any date and search for Rick as well as Richard.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 15:11
Fantastic composer and great keyboardist. Definitely missed by many. The 2 DVD's from David Gilmours 2006 tour are fantastic. I'll definitely stick on Remember That Night again in recognition of a great musician.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 15:12
Only two on his page  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1225" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1225

Of course the software has likely ignored "Rick".

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 15:33
Originally posted by octopus-4

Only two on his page  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1225" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1225

Of course the software has likely ignored "Rick".

...Why would you even use that page? http://www.progarchives.com/forum/search_form.asp" rel="nofollow - Do it properly yourself with the actual search function.

-------------

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 15:33
Originally posted by Henry Plainview

I don't care much about Pink Floyd anymore, but when I did he was my favorite member because he always knew how to play the perfect thing. The close but not quite there organ on Your Possible Pasts I think shows how Roger missed him too.

Wright wasn't on the Final Cut Shocked
That's why that album fails Tongue

Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 15:37
Originally posted by Bonnek

Wait, that honestly surprised you? I thought everyone knew about that...

-------------

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 17:22
I love his three solo albums even ZEE .....She cuts like a diamond is a beautiful piece Heart

Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 02:18
Originally posted by jean-marie

I love his three solo albums even ZEE .....She cuts like a diamond is a beautiful piece Heart
With the only Gilmourian solo of the album, just one octave lower than usual.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 02:58
Originally posted by Henry Plainview

Wait, that honestly surprised you? I thought everyone knew about that...

I entirely misread your post. Thought you said how wonderful Wright was on Your Possible Pasts Embarrassed

Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 03:00

you really must love pink ...

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 05:51

which one's pink?

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 06:44
Originally posted by harmonium.ro

which one's pink?
Big smile

-------------

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 07:03
He was brilliant and subtle. No flashy solos, just masterful  ability to play the right thing at the right time in everything. Also, most people don't realize the writing contributions he made to Floyd. 

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 07:58
I have a bootleg cd of a Floyd show from 77 during the Animals tour. I think its from Montreal Canada. Rick is brilliant on this! Ive never heard him solo like that on the synths before. All kinds of moog wonders happening as well. Ive always thought he was magic on the organ (especially the FarfisaHeart - remember Cirrus Minor anyone?) and the piano, but Ive never really thought of him as a guy, who could solo with the best of them, but he can and in a wonderful psychedelic way - that sounds like hes playing that thing from beneath the sea.

P.S. In addition David Gilmour plays like a man possessed throughout the show. Ive never heard him so violent and aggressive before.    

-------------
The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 08:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen

I have a bootleg cd of a Floyd show from 77 during the Animals tour. I think its from Montreal Canada. Rick is brilliant on this! Ive never heard him solo like that on the synths before. All kinds of moog wonders happening as well. Ive always thought he was magic on the organ (especially the FarfisaHeart - remember Cirrus Minor anyone?) and the piano, but Ive never really thought of him as a guy, who could solo with the best of them, but he can and in a wonderful psychedelic way - that sounds like hes playing that thing from beneath the sea.

P.S. In addition David Gilmour plays like a man possessed throughout the show. Ive never heard him so violent and aggressive before.    
                 I'll never stop telling More is an important album, overlooked imho

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 09:10

While I'm writing I'm listening to The Division Bell, the album that contains his last song.

Broken China was recorded a couple of years after The Division Bell. 

Yesterday I watched the Paintbox video clip, in which he features.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 17:14
I think Rick's keyboards is the main thread in the Pink Floyd sound. The reason why Piper connects with The Wall, skips The Final Cut and AMLOR, but then makes The Division Bell sound like a PF album once again.
I also think that him and Gilmour were a match made in heaven, musically.

It's really sad watching the Barn Jams from the DVD Live in Gdansk, where it became so evident that Rick and David were creating a new album together.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 17:18
I'd say Wright is probably my favorite Pink Floyd singer- love his voice.

-------------
http://epignosis.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Listen to the new Epignosis album for free- it's good for your health

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 21:50
I really love his contributions to Pink Floyd too, Dark Side wouldn't be the masterpiece it is without the songs he wrote (though Waters may want to think that album was his baby) - Great Gig in the Sky and Us & Them, plus writing credits on Time and Any Colour you Like. And indeed, though he may not have as many writing credits on other albums, his sound is a key part of the Pink Floyd sound. Plus his solo albums are beautiful too. I just wish that last album he was working on could somehow be finished.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: September 09 2011 at 23:08
Even on their second album A Saucerful Of Secrets the quiet Richard Wright stepped up to the plate with a couple of beautiful,dreamy psyche tunes and he sings lead at times as well.
He's the main reason why i love Dark Side Of The Moon so much with the floating organ especially.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: September 10 2011 at 02:13

Friggin awesome album, Dave Harris of Fashion fame too!

-------------
Music - The Sound Librarian
...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...

Date Posted: September 10 2011 at 02:21
Originally posted by Dellinger

I really love his contributions to Pink Floyd too, Dark Side wouldn't be the masterpiece it is without the songs he wrote (though Waters may want to think that album was his baby) - Great Gig in the Sky and Us & Them, plus writing credits on Time and Any Colour you Like. And indeed, though he may not have as many writing credits on other albums, his sound is a key part of the Pink Floyd sound. Plus his solo albums are beautiful too. I just wish that last album he was working on could somehow be finished.

I am sure Gilmour will make that happen for RickWink

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2011 at 03:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rnn2cV9NHA&feature=related" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rnn2cV9NHA&feature=related

To think watching this clip that both Michael Karmen and RW have since left us..I am feeling oldUnhappy

-------------

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 21:10

Remember that strange song he wrote for Syd Barrett? The Pink's Song? That was actually very sincere of him to write that. I loved all the interviews with him....he was really a cool person.

Date Posted: September 12 2011 at 01:38
If I'm not wrong his wife Linda is credited for the lyrics.

-------------

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: September 12 2011 at 10:33

If I'm not wrong his wife Linda is credited for the lyrics.
There was something I read long ago. About Syd Barrett often visiting Rick Wright, sitting on a couch in his living room silent..as Rick played the piano or composed. It was either an interview or a review of Wet Dream. So she wrote the lyrics to a song which describes Wright's pain and sadness toward Syd? All 4 of the Floyd members felt sadness for Syd and his so called decline.

I remember Wright defending Syd as the media coverage on him does display a bit too much on his so called strange behaviour. Of all the many stories they want to commercialize and exploit ....there is the one where Syd refused to do the BBC or some other important gig? So the guy interviewing Wright is focused on this stupied determination of bringing all the Syd "freak out" stories to the table ..while Wright briefly explains that all musicians in London felt that way. It was part of the scene to be anti-commercial and some of these huge gigs were looked down upon and many musicians in London who became famous thought it was a disgrace to follow through with it. Most people today would never get the gist of a concept like that ever existing back in those times and if they do,...why and what for? Wright was definitely being honest. I appreciated his honesty because it made a dent in this constant journalistic exploitation of Syd

Date Posted: September 12 2011 at 10:37
Thanks for this trivia. I'm so deeply Floydian that I'm always happy when I read news about them. Rick was a reserved person (but I've never seen a Floyd on a gossip magazine---well I don't think to have ever read a gossip magazine, even by the doctor), so reading something about his home life and his feelings for Syd or anything else is always interesting.

-------------

Date Posted: September 12 2011 at 15:58
Wet dream will always be a very friendly record to me even if Rick thought it was a bit amateurish, it realy shows the Rick colour in the Floyd alchemy, i'm realy keen on the melodies he composed, i miss him but happily there are the records

Date Posted: September 12 2011 at 21:00
Originally posted by Chris S

Originally posted by Dellinger

I am sure Gilmour will make that happen for RickWink

Somehow I'm not as optimistic as you, but I hope you are right and I am worng.

Date Posted: September 12 2011 at 21:04
Originally posted by Chris S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rnn2cV9NHA&feature=related" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rnn2cV9NHA&feature=related

To think watching this clip that both Michael Karmen and RW have since left us..I am feeling oldUnhappy

I was about to comment on this song on my first post of this thread, but in the end didn't do it. I really love this song... this particular version of this song. I once read that Gilmour was unhappy about this song not having been written by Wright by the time The Division Bell was released, because he would have wanted it in that album... I guess we now have a very fair idea of how this song would have sounded played by Pink Floyd instead of a Wright solo song.

Date Posted: September 13 2011 at 01:11
F-/F#/F#-7/D/A/E/F#-/F#-7/B/B-/F#/C#/F#

One of my favorite songs ever....

-------------

Posted By: FlemmingV
Date Posted: September 13 2011 at 04:36
Holiday ?

FlemmingV

Date Posted: September 13 2011 at 04:37
Correct! One of my all time fave.

-------------

Date Posted: September 13 2011 at 04:39
I also love the classical guitar solo performed by Snowy White on Against all odds. Easy but with all the notes at the right place.

-------------

Date Posted: September 15 2011 at 17:27

-------------
FAIS QUE TON REVE SOIT PLUS LONG QUE LA NUIT HAVE YOUR DREAM LASTING LONGER THAN THE NIGHT

Date Posted: September 15 2011 at 17:28

-------------
FAIS QUE TON REVE SOIT PLUS LONG QUE LA NUIT HAVE YOUR DREAM LASTING LONGER THAN THE NIGHT

Date Posted: September 15 2011 at 17:31

-------------

Date Posted: September 15 2011 at 17:32
HeartGreat Rick in the Sky Heart Heart Heart

-------------

Posted By: matt_rs
Date Posted: September 15 2011 at 18:29

The anniversary of Rick's death is close. I'm surprised to see that there are only two threads on PA with his name.
One is a poll and another is just a collection of few people denigrating Zee - Identity.

This thread is to remember the "hidden genius" behind the Pink Floyd's sound.

So long, Rick.

I made a RW thread not so long ago. His last album being an hidden gem.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Hackett/123101228589?ref=ts - Steve Hackett answers your questions weekly!

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: September 20 2011 at 20:53
Originally posted by harmonium.ro

which one's pink?

Sorry ... not very original and already some 30 to 40 years old of a joke!

-------------
... none of the hits, none of the time ... you might actually find your own art, or self, and forego lousy heroes or Guru's!

www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: September 20 2011 at 20:59
Hi,

I always thought that Richard was the "soul" that made Pink Floyd fly ... because in the end, it was the softness that he added to the music that helped make Roger and David come off even better and clearer than otherwise.

I like his 2 solo albums and have not yet heard, or found "Zee", to be able to brag about it, and always thought that "Wet Dream" was lovely, but since it was not loud rock music, the fans left it behind.

Richard's experimental and quasi/impossible to label jazz'y touch, was one of a kind and something that almost no one has in music for over 20 years ... you can hear a bit of it in Richard Barbieri, who is also quite original and very good at defining the music in Porcupine Tree, and he would be, by very far, the closest thing to another Richard Wright if it was right or proper to make that comparison, which it is not. Barbieri is more "ambient" minded than Wright was.

-------------
... none of the hits, none of the time ... you might actually find your own art, or self, and forego lousy heroes or Guru's!

www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 04:05
[TUBE]U0A6hryMi-U[/TUBE]

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 04:49
^ Sh#t this is awesome!

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 04:51
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 04:56
^ rjected....need a rethink!!

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 05:06
Let's suggest them (let's listen to more songs, too)
Ihave found their website soupband.com they are norwegian from Trondheim and have released two full length CDs (this one is a double)

Here the Bio..  http://soupband.com/?s=2" rel="nofollow - http://soupband.com/?s=2

Already rejected?Unhappy

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 05:15

I noticed we rejected them in crossover a while back, will have a look see

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 08:06
Intereresting, i didn't know that band

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 08:50

Intereresting, i didn't know that band

Salut jean-marie! Wink

Soup come from Norway and their double CD Children Of E.L.B (2010) is very good.

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 08:51
here some tracks.

http://soupband.com/?s=10" rel="nofollow - http://soupband.com/?s=10

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 10:09
A band from the norway? can't be bad, love so much Rypdal LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 10:18
If you like Norwegians let me suggest this one (Artsy pop, not prog but I like her a lot)

[TUBE]Xd4EE-0yLuk[/TUBE]

[TUBE]S3GFdkCXKA8&feature=related[/TUBE]

[TUBE]tto8ayaafIw&feature=related[/TUBE]

[TUBE]DgY-fQskPbM&feature=related[/TUBE]

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2011 at 06:36

here some tracks.
http://soupband.com/?s=10" rel="nofollow - http://soupband.com/?s=10

It doesn't work for me.
But if you type the names of the band and the songs, You will find many videos on Youtube. Wink

[TUBE]SUzQjsXD0A0[/TUBE]

Date Posted: September 23 2011 at 06:53
Wonder what e.l.b refers to?

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2011 at 06:55
Good question...I think I'll ask him 

SOUPSOUND@GMAIL.COM

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 10:03

Let's suggest them (let's listen to more songs, too)
Ihave found their website soupband.com they are norwegian from Trondheim and have released two full length CDs (this one is a double)

Here the Bio..  http://soupband.com/?s=2" rel="nofollow - http://soupband.com/?s=2

Already rejected?Unhappy

You're surprised?

If Pink Floyd was starting today with "Be Careful With that Ax, Eugene" ... everyone would say it is crap and music-less and not worth the discussion! Or as others would have said ... slow organ here and stupid stuff there and ... end up saying it is pretentious. Heck, if 21st century schizoid man was doen for the first time ever, every one would say .;.. how f______ pretentious because metal is more indulgent and how dare someone make a comment about loud noise!

Very nice indeed, and well developed and thought out. Hopefully the band is not pop oriented as the beats tend to suggest.

Not sure that this board can find another "original" since they are always comparing it to something that is already there, and that would get more work rejected than the music companies did then!

-------------

www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 10:15
Don't agree, a band starting today playing Cereful out loud on stage would blast most of listeners

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 16:29
However Wright and Mason played in this album. Not many people knows....

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5780" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5780

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 17:43
^ Interesting, never knew this. Need to track it down...

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 20:40
I purchased the prog book "Mountains Come Out Of The Sky" and it talks at length about FLOYD.One of the co-managers Peter Jenner talked about early on when they played clubs.He said that what made FLOYD different from other bands was the wall of sustained noise they could create.Syd and Rick had Echoplex on their instruments and between the two of them well... Also the keyboardist for the band CLOUDS said "I couldn't even judge Rick Wright as a player:He was concentrating on using (keyboards) as a sound instrument.It was all very original.I'd never heard anything like it".

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: criticdrummer94
Date Posted: September 25 2011 at 11:52
His contributions to Wish You Were Here and his voice on Time is how I always remember his genius behind the keyboards. Also Live at Pompeii he was in top form  

-------------

MY IDOLS

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.69 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwiz.co.uk