Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81419
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 13:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Miles Davis Electric albums
Posted By: Abstrakt
Subject: Miles Davis Electric albums
Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 08:25

It's probably about time that i dig deeper into Miles Davis discography. I'll start with his electric period.

My favorite albums from the ones i have is:
  1. Bitches Brew
  2. A Tribute to Jack Johnson
  3. Filles de Kilimanjaro
  4. In a Silent Way
  5. Miles in the Sky

Now VOTE!

Replies:
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 08:39
I'm not getting a feeling of poll deja vu with this one.  So there are several I haven't heard yet, but many I have.  Very hard to pick  favorite.  In A Silent Way perhaps.  Electric without being noisy.  

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 10:52
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I'm not getting a feeling of poll deja vu with this one.  So there are several I haven't heard yet, but many I have.  Very hard to pick  favorite.  In A Silent Way perhaps.  Electric without being noisy.  
Same. Also Bitches's Brew is awesome too but still I prefer In A Silent Way.

-------------

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 11:41
Get Up With It.

You should include the overlooked Water Babies. Recorded 67-68, released in 76. Essential early fusion.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 15:40
A Tribute To JJ.

Dark Magus and At Filmore are close behind.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 19:15
In a Silent Way always seemed, to me, to be the most cohesive of his electric albums, and it is the album that got me into long form fusion and nu-jazz. So, that's where my vote goes.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 01:56
What i've heard from Agharta and Pangaea sound absolutely insane! Wonderfully! Approve

Posted By: criticdrummer94
Date Posted: October 02 2011 at 18:13
A Tribute to Jack Johnson is better than Bitches Brew IMHO

-------------

MY IDOLS

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 02 2011 at 18:21
In almost every Davis topic I've cited Get Up With It as my favourite electric era Davis album, but of late I've been more into Big Fun, so Big Fun gets my vote.  I know and like all of them, though up to Dark Magus (don't know the later ones).

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 08:11
Normally I´d probably go with Bitches Brew, but I´ve been looking through my old records lately, because I recently found a "Krautrock" album, which had been stocked away for years without me listening to it. Well I recently found Miles live at the Fillmore, and that record is entirely responsible for getting me into fusion in the first place. I remember listening to it in some music shop years ago. The listening "station" looked like a palm tree with 4 branches each providing different music to the customers. I stood between 2 girls who obviously were listening to some pretty funky stuff, because they were both dancing. Then my music started - and I immediately broke out laughing! I´d never heard anything remotely like it before(I was 16). Then those funky rhythms started to work and everything started making sense - in a funky jungle wilderness kind of way, and I started dancing too. I was this close to having scored 2 chicks, had it not been for them cracking completely up, when they removed their headphones and suddenly heard what was playing from mineLOL
Still one of my fave Miles albums, so a sentimental vote from me this time. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: ProgDrummerTony
Date Posted: July 19 2013 at 09:15
In A Silent Way has always captivated me more than any other of Miles' electric albums, so I'm voting for that one.  I'm also pretty fond of Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, and Get Up With It. However, I like almost everything that Miles has ever composed, so it's usually hard to pick a solid first choice in a poll like this. Smile

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ProgDrummerTony" rel="nofollow - My Prog Drum Covers

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: July 20 2013 at 07:37
Bitches Brew is still my fav. This music always makes me think of a Picasso painting.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 20 2013 at 19:53
I've always been partial to the live/studio mix of Live-Evil. Love McGlaughlin's live tracks.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: jacek1969
Date Posted: July 31 2013 at 02:30
Bitches Brew

-------------
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
That a vegetable will respond to you

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 01 2013 at 06:13
Wow I'd completely forgotten about this poll. I evidently posted here in 2011...?

Anyway if I could vote again, I'd give some love to Big Fun. Love that Indian vibe it's got going for it. Without a doubt the most psychedelic album Miles ever did.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 01 2013 at 06:53
As much as I want to like Bitches Brew, it's good in parts but always comes down to noodling around for a long time. I prefer In A Silent Way.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 02 2013 at 22:47
A later album - Decoy

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk