Print Page | Close Window

The Late Beatles

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81450
Printed Date: May 21 2024 at 01:45
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Late Beatles
Posted By: thehallway
Subject: The Late Beatles
Date Posted: September 25 2011 at 08:57
The winner will go into the final Beatles poll in a week or so.

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Replies:
Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: September 25 2011 at 12:45
I'd say Abbey Road is more consistent than the White Album, so I'll vote for it.

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: September 25 2011 at 13:13
Abbey Road will win this one.  I really wanted to cast my lot with the White Album, but Abbey Road is about as good an album as has been made in my lifetime, in fact maybe the best.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: September 25 2011 at 13:55
I voted for Abbey RoadLet It Be is very good also.  

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: September 25 2011 at 14:04
I voted for The White Album again like I did in the original poll.  It's my favourite of the lot even though it has got far too much 'Filler' Wink 

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: September 25 2011 at 14:59
Abbey Road! You Never Give Your Money. Nuff said.

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 26 2011 at 03:14

Voted for The White Album as my preference of the day. Abbey Road is about equally good in my book.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 26 2011 at 04:22
John Lennon and George Harrison?

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: elp
Date Posted: September 26 2011 at 05:11
Abbey Road! It's also feature the magic moog

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: September 26 2011 at 10:31
Abbey Road.

Posted By: Bosh66
Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 09:25
Tough call between Abbey Road and White Album. Let It Be is the disapointment for me, simply because of the inconsistency of the album. Flips between awesome and awful.

Posted By: Bosh66
Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 09:28
Decided to vote for The Beatles (White). I can't not vote for an album containing the lyrics;

Let me hear you balalaika's ringing out
Come and keep your comrade warm

Poetry!

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 09:40
The White Album. It is far more subversive and anti-Fab Four, and I think that is its major draw: it is raw and imperfect, but you actually hear The Beatles in a much more intimate setting. I'd rather listen to The Beatles as they sound on The White Album, f*cked-up at four in the morning and jamming, than playing perfectly crafted pop tunes in tacky Sgt. Pepper's uniforms. On diversity alone, it is a much greater album than the others: vaudeville tunes, blues, psychedelia, hard rock, proto-punk, folk, pop, surf rock, Euro-minimalism, baroque, satire.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 10:34

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The White Album. It is far more subversive and anti-Fab Four, and I think that is its major draw: it is raw and imperfect, but you actually hear The Beatles in a much more intimate setting. I'd rather listen to The Beatles as they sound on The White Album, f*cked-up at four in the morning and jamming, than playing perfectly crafted pop tunes in tacky Sgt. Pepper's uniforms. On diversity alone, it is a much greater album than the others: vaudeville tunes, blues, psychedelia, hard rock, proto-punk, folk, pop, surf rock, Euro-minimalism, baroque, satire.

Although I agree about The White Album.....

....what's wrong with perfectly crafted pop songs? The word 'perfectly' is a positive word, surely. The uniforms were tacky, sure, but they don't matter. The music on Sgt Pepper was innovative in every way, even if some of it falls into the pop genre.

-------------

Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 10:48
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

....what's wrong with perfectly crafted pop songs? The word 'perfectly' is a positive word, surely. The uniforms were tacky, sure, but they don't matter. The music on Sgt Pepper was innovative in every way, even if some of it falls into the pop genre.

There is certainly nothing wrong with perfectly crafted pop tunes (and The Beatles have wagon loads of such compositions). But as a personal preference, I believe The White Album is the musical anti-thesis of Sgt. Peppers -- even the album covers, the garish, colorful and crowded Sgt. Pepper's cover, as opposed to the blank expanse of The Beatles (or "The White Album", if you wish) is a statement of purpose. As I stated in a review elsewhere, The White Album can be seen "as a revolt against the perception of the Beatles as 'safe' or 'lightweight' or a mere hit-factory churning out endless pleasant tunes for mass consumption on public airwaves." The Beatles wanted to get out of their comfort zone, and take their fan base and the public in general with them. The album is provocative and I think it succeeds on a grand scale. Hell, people on this site and elsewhere are still arguing the merits or demerits of "Revolution 9" more than 40 years after its release.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 10:53

There is certainly nothing wrong with perfectly crafted pop tunes (and The Beatles have wagon loads of such compositions). But as a personal preference, I believe The White Album is the musical anti-thesis of Sgt. Peppers -- even the album covers, the garish, colorful and crowded Sgt. Pepper's cover, as opposed to the blank expanse of The Beatles (or "The White Album", if you wish) is a statement of purpose. As I stated in a review elsewhere, The White Album can be seen "as a revolt against the perception of the Beatles as 'safe' or 'lightweight' or a mere hit-factory churning out endless pleasant tunes for mass consumption on public airwaves." The Beatles wanted to get out of their comfort zone, and take their fan base and the public in general with them. The album is provocative and I think it succeeds on a grand scale. Hell, people on this site and elsewhere are still arguing the merits or demerits of "Revolution 9" more than 40 years after its release.

Fair point, but I would consider being experimental and daring whilst remaining commercial as an even bigger achievement, which is exemplified most strongly on Rubber Soul through Magical Mystery Tour.

Essentially, we're talking about two monumentally ground-breaking albums here. I would probably say I preffered The White Album more as well........ but there is no way that Sgt Pepper can be described as 'safe'.

-------------

Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 11:14

Fair point, but I would consider being experimental and daring whilst remaining commercial as an even bigger achievement, which is exemplified most strongly on Rubber Soul through Magical Mystery Tour.

Essentially, we're talking about two monumentally ground-breaking albums here. I would probably say I preffered The White Album more as well........ but there is no way that Sgt Pepper can be described as 'safe'.

I understand the innovation and experimental qualities of Sgt. Pepper's, and I certainly do not take the groundbreaking elements of the album for granted, although I think Revolver is their most grounbreaking studio album, and I would submit that "Tomorrow Never Knows" is a greater bit of psychedelia than "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" and "Love You To" is a more authentic and moving Indian composition than "Within you Without You" .

There is a lot to dislike about Sgt. Peppers, particularly the "granny music" of McCartney that Lennon complained about. "Lovely Rita", "Getting Better" and "When I'm Sixty-Four" are not my favorite Beatle tunes, and "Good Morning" and "Fixing a Hole" could be plugged into any Beatles album of the era and no one would know the difference. Plus, Sgt. Pepper's has really no acoustic numbers at all, whereas The White Album has several ("Blackbird", "Mother Nature's Son", "Rocky Raccoon", etc.). You really can't play Sgt. Peppers around the campfire, but you can The White Album. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 12:33

I like the music hall stuff..... baroque pop..... granny music..... whatever you want to call it. For No One is one of my favourite Beatles songs, and most things they did with harpsichords and the like.

-------------

Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 21:58

I like the music hall stuff..... baroque pop..... granny music..... whatever you want to call it. For No One is one of my favourite Beatles songs, and most things they did with harpsichords and the like.

I will say that "She's leaving Home" (with the brilliant counterpoint between Lennon and McCartney), and "A Day in the LIfe" are sublime compositions from Sgt. Pepper's. And "With a Little Help from My Friends" is Ringo's most notable contribution to The Beatles.

-------------

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: September 28 2011 at 06:05
The White Album a hair over Abbey Road

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Date Posted: October 02 2011 at 15:45
Abbey Road is the winner!

-------------

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 06:53
Love them all but the white album is my favourite one, it's so much various and good Smile

-------------
FAIS QUE TON REVE SOIT PLUS LONG QUE LA NUIT HAVE YOUR DREAM LASTING LONGER THAN THE NIGHT

Posted By: stefolof
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 12:20
>

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 16:49
Yes Abbey road has some fantastic pieces: Come together, Something, I want you..... but also some average stuff

-------------
FAIS QUE TON REVE SOIT PLUS LONG QUE LA NUIT HAVE YOUR DREAM LASTING LONGER THAN THE NIGHT

Posted By: MagicMoo
Date Posted: January 13 2012 at 11:09
Hi everybody!

Abbey Road by far.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: January 13 2012 at 11:17
White

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 07:42

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 16:19
Let it Be is my favorite Beatle album and the one that holds up best over time to me.  Timeless songwriting, no nonsense.  Across the Universe, Long and Winding, Two of Us, Dig a Pony, Got a Feeling....some of my fave Beatle songs.   

-------------

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 16:26
White Album for me, it's so varied and amazing. Never a dull moment and some really great songs.

Oh and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is my favorite Beatles song.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: progresssaurus
Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 16:56
White

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 19:15
The White Album has the best stuff: 'Rocky Raccoon', 'Martha My Dear', 'Cry Baby Cry', 'Blackbird', 'Piggies' (oh, yeah!), 'Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey', 'Mother Nature's Son', 'Helter Skelter', all of those tracks are downright fives. GO, WHI-te ALbum, boo-hoo-hoo!

Date Posted: March 18 2012 at 02:03

Can I ask you something: if we have five-star-scale ratings of these albums, what does the poll do?

Date Posted: March 23 2012 at 21:58
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Can I ask you something: if we have five-star-scale ratings of these albums, what does the poll do?

What we always do: 1) beat each other over the head with our opinions, and 2) disagree with the outcome. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2012 at 23:25
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Did you really put this much effort into this flowchart Big smile ?

Date Posted: March 23 2012 at 23:26

What we always do: 1) beat each other over the head with our opinions, and 2) disagree with the outcome. Wink

Oy! LOL 

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 24 2012 at 01:29
I heard the Beatles' songs were written by an Armenian expat named Demirjian.

Date Posted: March 24 2012 at 06:45

Did you really put this much effort into this flowchart Big smile ?

I can't take credit for that, just ran into it.  na Tongue waaaa oobe doobie doobie choo.

-------------

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: March 24 2012 at 12:17
The best of the late Beatles?

I would say John Ono Winston Lennon.

Dead

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: March 24 2012 at 12:26
Abbey Road, no doubt!

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: March 24 2012 at 17:38

I thought the same

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2012 at 18:12
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I thought the same

Sad to say I only had one of the post Beatles albums and that was Wings - Band On The Run band on the run band on the run.  Another flood victim. 

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 24 2012 at 20:15
I've been listening to Let it Be a lot more lately.  The Long and Winding Road is my current favorite there.  I remember not liking that song when I was a young kid because it was too sad.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 24 2012 at 22:33
^
Sim story here Holy.....when I was young LiB was the one I played least.  I was a huge Beatle fan but pretty much ignored that album.  Now in middle age, it seems like the single most important one to me, the most honest one and emotional one.  It's got gut and it trades whimsy away for a raw sound, along with some killer songs.  Abbey Road may be the goodbye most people prefer but to me it puts the masks back on....and I think it has a fair bit of fluff around it's best moments.

I love the film too with Paul at the piano, and the footage of the guys jamming live on the rooftop.  Damn that's great!    

-------------

Posted By: RoyFairbank
Date Posted: March 25 2012 at 11:33
All the beatles stuff is great. White Album is more ambitious than Abbey Road IMO, edgier more adventurous. That's not to say Give Me Your Money/The End sequence is not divine.

Another thing, the "filler" in White Album is nothing of the sort. Those songs are the main point of the album, the "regular" songs are the filler.

Rocky Raccoon, Cry Baby Cry, Bungalow Bill, some of my favorite songs on the album, and most interesting.

Date Posted: March 30 2012 at 02:03
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I've been listening to Let it Be a lot more lately.  The Long and Winding Road is my current favorite there.  I remember not liking that song when I was a young kid because it was too sad.

That was the very same reason why I loved it. It was such a long time ago, I must have been playing that thing more than 2-3 times in a row. I really can't remember.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: April 03 2012 at 10:25
^ Amazing beautiful song, great vocals, masterpiece of a song.

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: April 17 2012 at 07:55
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

White Album is more ambitious than Abbey Road IMO, edgier more adventurous.

Another thing, the "filler" in White Album is nothing of the sort. Those songs are the main point of the album, the "regular" songs are the filler.
I agree. The White Album is easily the best late Beatles album.  I think of it as a compilation album, as there are solo tracks, and many other tracks have fewer than four Beatles involved.  It's like a handful of different bands all working together somehow.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: April 17 2012 at 08:44

That's very funny LOL
Very creative, whoever did this, putting this song in a flow chart. And it works.
The cream on the cake is the endless na - loop.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: April 17 2012 at 09:51
^ Very funny indeed  LOL.

Posted By: geneyesontle
Date Posted: April 21 2012 at 20:13
The one with the cover showing the four Beatles walking on that famous road.

-------------
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle

Posted By: Pelata
Date Posted: January 14 2013 at 11:36
They never released a bad album...but for the purposes of this poll, I chose Abbey Road.

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: January 14 2013 at 11:40
The White Album for me

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: January 14 2013 at 22:31
Abbey RoadWink

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: January 14 2013 at 23:19
1.Abbey Road (5/5)
2.Let It Be (5/5)
3.Yellow Submarine (4.5/5)
4.The Beatles (4.5/5)

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Sumdeus
Date Posted: January 15 2013 at 03:27
The White Album is best I think simply because it had a lot more different things on it being a double album and a lot more experimentation, i would say. I listened to Abbey Road a lot more growing up though and I would say it's more memorable, the medley is especially spectacular. either way, it's the psychedelic beatles that I'm really in love with.

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: January 15 2013 at 12:23
The White Album by a hair... there are some tracks that I don't like on the album, but overall there's more than a full-length album's worth of tracks that I do love.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: January 16 2013 at 02:48
"I want you, I want you so bad", Come on now, it's Abbey Road. Gwen Stefani about it(get it)

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: awaken77
Date Posted: January 16 2013 at 09:18
Abbey Road is very "proto-prog" album. I'd say, the best from The Beatles catalog, very strong and mature.

White Album is kind of collection of studio outtakes. There are gems, and there are mediocre songs. The material is very uneven, and doesn't have common style or idea

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk