Print Page | Close Window

A-holes in prog vs. Nice guys in prog

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8154
Printed Date: June 01 2024 at 19:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: A-holes in prog vs. Nice guys in prog
Posted By: WillieThePimp
Subject: A-holes in prog vs. Nice guys in prog
Date Posted: June 29 2005 at 12:10
Who is the MOST blatant a-hole in prog and who is the TEDDY BEAR in prog?

Don't know how well this one will go, but I think that....

Mikael Akerfeldt is the definite Teddy Bear of prog, he's modest, makes corny jokes and cordially introduces himself and the band on stage. I'm so in love...

I haven't decided on the blatant A-hole of them all yet... more to come on that one.

-------------
You can't possibly hear the last movement of Beethoven's Seventh and go slow. ~Oscar Levant, explaining his way out of a speeding ticket

Replies:
Posted By: Scrambled_Eggs
Date Posted: June 29 2005 at 20:45
I've ne'er met any famous prog musician in person, so I can't really say if they are an A-hole or a nice guy.  I'm aware Phil Collins is known to 'ave a temper.  As for a nice guy, I've read Neil Peart's books and he seems like an upright fellow.

-------------
And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime.
I never said I was frightened of dying.

Date Posted: June 30 2005 at 11:37
What was I thinking, there aren't any assholes in prog ! 

-------------
You can't possibly hear the last movement of Beethoven's Seventh and go slow. ~Oscar Levant, explaining his way out of a speeding ticket

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: July 06 2005 at 11:03

Originally posted by WillieThePimp WillieThePimp wrote:

What about those musicians who fire roadies for not having their Persian carpets arranged properly on stage

Date Posted: July 06 2005 at 12:03
That is in the Roadies code and creed to arrange all furnishings properly!

Think of what the roadies setting up Iron Maiden's set must of felt... (talk about pressure!)

-------------

Posted By: NetsNJFan
Date Posted: July 06 2005 at 15:31
I alwasy thought Bob Fripp came off as a pompous A-Hole in interviews, plus KC is the incredible imploding band (at least in the 70's)

Plus Roger Waters - big time A-hole

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2005 at 01:25
I agree

-------------

Posted By: Tiresias
Date Posted: July 08 2005 at 12:32

Alex Lifeson and Neal Morse seem nice. 

Roger Waters seems like a total breaded-cock-on-a-stick asshole

-------------
Wh'ghal ng'fth mglw'y Ry'leh, Cthulhu fhtagn...

Posted By: barbs
Date Posted: July 10 2005 at 05:53

For some reason, before I opened up this post
I thought you were asking who were the nicest
and who were the biggest a-holes on progarchives forum.

Then when I scanned the first post briefly without reading it properly the first time,
I momentarily thought it said,  MikeEnRegalia was a real Teddy Bear.

-------------
Eternity

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: July 10 2005 at 11:16

Martin Orford from IQ is one of the nicest guys you could ever wish to meet.

Geoff Downes came across as a bit pompous and aloof when I met him.

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: July 10 2005 at 22:31

Originally posted by barbs barbs wrote:

For some reason, before I opened up this post
I thought you were asking who were the nicest
and who were the biggest a-holes on progarchives forum.

Then when I scanned the first post briefly without reading it properly the first time,
I momentarily thought it said,  MikeEnRegalia was a real Teddy Bear.

same here.

i'm a teddy bear.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Cygnus X-2
Date Posted: July 10 2005 at 23:16

Originally posted by NetsNJFan NetsNJFan wrote:

I alwasy thought Bob Fripp came off as a pompous A-Hole in interviews, plus KC is the incredible imploding band (at least in the 70's)

I've heard and read that Waters is nice to his fans... but my sources might be wrong.

-------------

Posted By: NetsNJFan
Date Posted: July 11 2005 at 00:51
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

Originally posted by NetsNJFan NetsNJFan wrote:

I've heard and read that Waters is nice to his fans... but my sources might be wrong.

oh actually I wouldn't know.......I'm just going by the way Floyd hates him, and how he sued them and sh*t like that

-------------

Posted By: nousommedusolei
Date Posted: July 11 2005 at 01:14

Did you not hear about Roger spitting on some of his fans trying to scurry their way up to the front of the stage during the "Animals" tour?

Now, that's the only example I have of him being an asshole to his fans, and in my opinion, it was almost justified, yet a bit too extreme. I like Zappa's method better.

Zappa would stop the whole show until the people who moved too close backed up again.

-------------
I don't believe in demons
I don't believe in devils
I only believe in you

Posted By: FishyMonkey
Date Posted: July 11 2005 at 15:07
Akerfeldt is AWESOME. I love how on a DVD he lets out this BRUTAL death growl, looks over at Steve Wilson and says, "Was that OK, Steve?", grinning like a little boy. Great guy.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/FishyMonkey/?chartstyle=artists">

Posted By: Logos
Date Posted: July 11 2005 at 16:07

Originally posted by FishyMonkey FishyMonkey wrote:

Akerfeldt is AWESOME. I love how on a DVD he lets out this BRUTAL death growl, looks over at Steve Wilson and says, "Was that OK, Steve?", grinning like a little boy. Great guy.

You're damn right! What a Gentle Giant that guy is!

Okay he's not that giant is he?

Posted By: transend
Date Posted: July 12 2005 at 23:40

I have always thought Fripp was a jerk

I am really beginning to think Steven Wilson is kind of an asshole too..

Posted By: Cygnus X-2
Date Posted: July 13 2005 at 01:24
Originally posted by nousommedusolei nousommedusolei wrote:

Did you not hear about Roger spitting on some of his fans trying to scurry their way up to the front of the stage during the "Animals" tour?

I meant nowadays. Yeah, he was an ass back then. But nowadays, I hear that he is kind to his fans.

-------------

Posted By: Phallusdei
Date Posted: July 16 2005 at 12:37
'Prog' by it's very nature, being an expression of pretentiousness, I would imagine that gives it scope for many of those involved to be utter f**kwits.

-------------

"The only notes worth bothering with come in wads"

Posted By: sideways
Date Posted: July 16 2005 at 15:34
Tough one because you never know if you can trust hear say.  Ihave met and chatted with all the members of DT though, they were EXTREMELY nice and cordial, actually would converse with you and not just smile and nod their heads

-------------
"Who would wish this on our people?..And proclaim that his will be done" Sacrificed Sons - Dream Theater

Posted By: Third Eye
Date Posted: July 18 2005 at 18:49

Speaking of assholes, I think Maynard James Keenan (Tool) fits this description.

Posted By: kirklott
Date Posted: July 18 2005 at 20:13
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Geoff Downes came across as a bit pompous and aloof when I met him.

Really? But he's only done one cool thing in his life - Drama - and that was 25 years ago.

-------------
"Progressive rock is the key to the continuance of human evolution." - Charles Darwin

Posted By: kirklott
Date Posted: July 18 2005 at 20:17

I've met Anderson (twice), Howe, Moraz, Squire, Wakeman and White.

All are pleasant, or at least patient, except Mr. Howe. He's pretty terse, chilly, and quick-tempered, in my experience.

There again, they're musicians, they want their privacy, and I don't really think they owe their fans anything. I've had additional chances to meet Anderson, Wakeman and White, but passed...they've met a MILLION fans and this point probably just want their privacy.

-------------
"Progressive rock is the key to the continuance of human evolution." - Charles Darwin

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: July 19 2005 at 03:42
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Originally posted by WillieThePimp WillieThePimp wrote:

What about those musicians who fire roadies for not having their Persian carpets arranged properly on stage

Hooooo! Dick!!! I know one person (well she is in love with somebody else right now!) that would extremely unpleased with your comment!

Not that he is prog but the biggest a**hole I was ever given to meet is Blackmore. It was in 85 (on the Perfect Stranger tour, and he called me an A**hole for just being backstage although I had been given the pass by Jon Lord himself (he was a close fiend of my then-neighbor and was spending the night there) and wanted to get me thrown out. Ian Paice stepped in for me.

I now refer to him as Blackmood.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk