Forum Discription: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81689
Printed Date: April 18 2014 at 18:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.69 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Miles Davis - Loong tracks
Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Subject: Miles Davis - Loong tracks
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 13:35
Got inspired to do this because I heard the 33 and a half minute long version of Circle in the Round for the first time today. Its recorded as early as 1967 and arguably his first radical fusion track, but not released (in an edited version) until 1979.

This is all the 15 minute + Miles studio tracks I own. As far as i know these are all the tracks he recorded that passes a quarter of an hour. Most of my versions are from these expensive but wonderful sessions-boxes, so you might only know the edited versions of some of them. The sublime Mayisha was just six seconds too short to qualify, but there's so much greatness here it doesn't matter. Today my vote goes to the full version of this (only to be found on 1965-68: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings CD 4):

[TUBE]MUyy3C6riPA[/TUBE]

How about you?

-------------
I despise modern music. Words cannot express how much it gets on my nerves – the false, pretentious, smug assertiveness of it.

Replies:
Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 13:37
Concierto de Aranjuez.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 13:43
Originally posted by SaltyJon

Concierto de Aranjuez.

Good thing I remembered to include it. In the last second so to speak. Have you heard all the others?

-------------
I despise modern music. Words cannot express how much it gets on my nerves – the false, pretentious, smug assertiveness of it.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 13:45
Off the top of my head, I would say "He Loved Him Madly", which I have loved madly, but plan to do a lot of Davis revisting (and listen to the posted track) before voting in this poll.

-------------
"Mistakes can be corrected by those who pay attention to facts, but dogmatism will not be corrected by those who are wedded to a vision" (Thomas Sowell).

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 14:00
Originally posted by Saperlipopette!

Concierto de Aranjuez.

Good thing I remembered to include it. In the last second so to speak. Have you heard all the others?

Not ALL of them, no, but a good chunk of them.  All the stuff from Bitches' Brew, In a Silent Way, Jack Johnson, On the Corner, Big Fun, and probably half the tracks from Get Up With It, and some random others along the way.  The fusion stuff is great, but my love for classical really propels Concierto to the top of the list.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 14:00
Originally posted by Logan

Off the top of my head, I would say "He Loved Him Madly", which I have loved madly, but plan to do a lot of Davis revisting (and listen to the posted track) before voting in this poll.

Every other day I would go for that myself. But most here deserves votes, though. The unknown tracks here can easily rival the more famous ones in quality.

Have you got the version of Circle in the Round I wrote about? It might not be such a shocker if you already know the 26 minute version from that 1979 album of the same name, but I hadn't really heard that either. Its got a hypnotic  bassline and spanish sounding guitar so it reminds me a little of Coltrane's Ole

-------------

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 14:11
Where is that longer version available?

edit: Whoops, it was already there Embarrassed

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 14:13
Calypso!

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 16:11

This is all the 15 minute + Miles studio tracks I own.
Yeah, but you left out Agartha and Pangea (joke). Tongue  I just thought I'd throw those out there before someone else beat me to it.

I think I have most of those though.  Unfortunately none of the titles is linked in my mind to the music, so my serious answer is hell, I don't know.

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 17:15
Basically all of them but I voted

Concierto de Aranjuez.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/TullDerGraff" rel="nofollow">
[QUOTE=Vompatti]I wouldn't put a Warr guitar in my vagina.[/QUOTE]

Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 17:34

Every other day I would go for that myself. But most here deserves votes, though. The unknown tracks here can easily rival the more famous ones in quality. 

Have you got the version of Circle in the Round I wrote about? It might not be such a shocker if you already know the 26 minute version from that 1979 album of the same name, but I hadn't really heard that either. Its got a hypnotic  bassline and spanish sounding guitar so it reminds me a little of Coltrane's Ole

I don't have it -- love Ole, by the way.

-------------
"Mistakes can be corrected by those who pay attention to facts, but dogmatism will not be corrected by those who are wedded to a vision" (Thomas Sowell).

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 17:52
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 18:21
Shhh-Peaceful, no doubt. The entirety of In a Silent Way is one of my all-time fave albums.

-------------

http://www.last.fm/user/GordonComstock" rel="nofollow - "For me, music and life are all about style.” Miles Davis(last.fm)

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 18:54
Originally posted by The Quiet One

Shhh-Peaceful, no doubt. The entirety of In a Silent Way is one of my all-time fave albums.
Agreed. My all time favourite Miles album for sure.

-------------

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 18:56
He Loved Him Madly is the greatest ambient piece ever created,

-------------

Posted By: BenevolentBehemoth
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 21:18
I had never heard circle in the round before, and after listening to 2 minutes, it is definitely my favorite, especially because it's from 1967.

Posted By: kawkaw123
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 21:22
All of them. Miles is AWESOME!

Date Posted: October 04 2011 at 04:36
Originally posted by BenevolentBehemoth

I had never heard circle in the round before, and after listening to 2 minutes, it is definitely my favorite, especially because it's from 1967.

I have a feeling neither of us will regret our impulse vote, been listening to it over and over.

Its annoying that you can only get it physically on a 6 CD box collecting everything his famous second quintet ever recorded. Mostly stuff  a fan already owns. But of course you can do like me, and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00136RSI2/ref=dm_dp_trk36" rel="nofollow - buy a track as long as GG's Octopus for less than an dollar/euro anywhere on the internet. Its at disc four, which btw got 55 minutes full of rarities that released when recorded would have made another 67-68 Miles-masterpiece.

-------------

Date Posted: October 04 2011 at 05:33
Originally posted by Slartibartfast

Yeah, but you left out Agartha and Pangea (joke). Tongue  I just thought I'd throw those out there before someone else beat me to it.

I did however forget the nice but slightly forgettable Konda and a killer track called http://music.truelife.com/player/song/20051216132220306936/The%20Mask%20%28part%20two%29-Miles%20Davis" rel="nofollow - The Mask (Part two) . Both from The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions. Don't own that box, but I've streamed half of it. Especially the latter is more memorable than... the somewhat irritating Hip Skip and to me that unedited On the Corner Version.

Edit: Hip-Skip out, Mask in.

-------------

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: October 04 2011 at 17:18

I think I have most of those though.  Unfortunately none of the titles is linked in my mind to the music, so my serious answer is hell, I don't know.
Ya beat me to it, Slartibartfast!

I'll have to think about this for a while...

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Date Posted: October 05 2011 at 14:00
Now that I've had the chance to enjoy "Circle in the Round", I did vote for it.  I love it!  Terrific.

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: October 05 2011 at 14:08
Haven't heard all of those, but I'm a big fan of "He Loved Him Madly".

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche / http://raregoat.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - RARE GOAT bandcamp page

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 05 2011 at 14:15
Ife is a personal faveHeart

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: October 05 2011 at 14:54
Bitches brew!

-------------
Mikael Akerfeldt for fans of Opeth who don't like his growls (and generally the growls): If they don't like it then they are pussies.

Extreme prog metal rules!!!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 05 2011 at 15:27
Don't know all of them (so I won't officially vote) but my favorites are Right Off, Yesternow, and Shh-Peaceful. (Probably in the order)

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: October 05 2011 at 16:34

Now that I've had the chance to enjoy "Circle in the Round", I did vote for it.  I love it!  Terrific.

I did hope you'd enjoy it as much as I do. Isn't it incredible that we can still discover treasues like this? Not only from obscure artists but from the real giants. To me this sounds like a composition that could have had a major impact on modern music history, but shelved by the record company for all the wrong reasons (too long, forward thinking and experimetal*).

*not experimental as in difficult, but as in different.

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2011 at 16:41
Originally posted by Guldbamsen

Finally, one from Big Fun. Fantastic album and track.

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 05 2011 at 16:48

Originally posted by Guldbamsen

Finally, one from Big Fun. Fantastic album and track.

I should probably blame Logan here for mentioning Big Fun quite a bit the past couple of months. Made me revisit the thing, and I΄m glad I did. The record has changed immensely since last time I heard it - and in a good way. Funny how some things work... 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 06 2011 at 16:02

I did hope you'd enjoy it as much as I do. Isn't it incredible that we can still discover treasues like this? Not only from obscure artists but from the real giants. To me this sounds like a composition that could have had a major impact on modern music history, but shelved by the record company for all the wrong reasons (too long, forward thinking and experimetal*).

*not experimental as in difficult, but as in different.

It is fantastic.  It is amazing how much great music there is to discover both by the little known and more incredibly the really well known, and despite the innovative and lengthy qualities of Circle in the Round, it still surprises that it was shelved.  Davis, himself, and his producers were often pretty picky about what they would release, and I think Davis along with his stable of jazz greats that he worked with had some clout.  I wonder if Davis just went along with recoed company without making any stink -- I don't really know much about his relationship with them.  Often artists were pretty powerless, and depended on their contracts with the labels.  Anyway, I agree that it could have had a significant impact.

These days, there are independant bands who seemingly release everything they play around with, and hugely long CDs replete with aimless noodling.

-------------

Posted By: Sherpa Relaxing
Date Posted: October 08 2011 at 05:03
If I could vote (?) I would vote He Loved Him Madly, for me it is something almost beyond music, where you can't put your finger on what any one player is actually doing, yet it is such a sublime atmosphere.  Like perfume, perhaps.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: October 08 2011 at 05:11
Originally posted by Sherpa Relaxing

If I could vote (?) I would vote He Loved Him Madly, for me it is something almost beyond music, where you can't put your finger on what any one player is actually doing, yet it is such a sublime atmosphere.  Like perfume, perhaps.

Poll creation and voting is only available to forum members with higher ranks than Newbie. Once you've posted 100 messages on the forum, you'll be able to vote in prog polls. This was introduced on the forums to avoid people creating fake accounts to mess with the polls.

Lookee here http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13080" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13080

(Cue a vintage bottle of Plainview' chilled Schadenfreude)

-------------
'The incense burned away and the stench began to rise' (Pete Townshend)

Date Posted: October 08 2011 at 10:27
Or a bottle of Sturn und Drang -- and, Sherpa, don't fret if you don't get the references.  That Henry thing refers to one of the members here.

Getting more on topic, I would recommend a bottle of pinot gris to go with "He Loved Him Madly".  I really love that music -- truly is a sublime atmosphere (I like you how you put it).  Welcome to the board....

-------------

Posted By: QuestionableScum
Date Posted: October 08 2011 at 10:31
Pharaoh's dance for me....

Date Posted: October 24 2011 at 12:16
Originally posted by Syzygy

Ya beat me to it, Slartibartfast!

I'll have to think about this for a while...

Its been a while. Have you thought about it?

Here's a nice piece about a pretty awesome composition that remained unreleased until 2007:

Miles Davis - "Mr. Foster"
(from "The Complete On The Corner Sessions," Columbia Legacy) 15 minutes, 16 seconds Recorded Sept. 18, 1973. "Mr. Foster" unfolds like a blaxploitation score, Dave Liebman's tenor growing from a weep in the darkness to a declaration of resilience. Wah-wah'ed guitars and Al Foster's pulsating cymbal rides  dominate the track; Miles doesn't make a full statement until more than six minutes into the piece and his full-bodied playing gives the tune its shape over the last nine minutes. Rather than using Liebman's pronouncements as a starting point, he invests the tune with an air of caution before wandering to find a place to add heavy punctuation. It's a lean tune more rhythmically defined than melodically. Astonishing, therefore, that musicians stay the course for the full 15 minutes; more astonishing that this has never been released in any of the multitude of Miles resissues until now.... http://weblogs.variety.com/thesetlist/2007/12/best-of-2007--3.html" rel="nofollow - variety.com

You can stream it here: http://grooveshark.com/#/s/Mr+Foster/EiIfJ?src=5" rel="nofollow - Mr. Foster

-------------

Posted By: criticdrummer94
Date Posted: December 28 2011 at 23:01
Right Off, Love the Jack Johnson album

-------------

MY IDOLS

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: December 28 2011 at 23:05
First vote for Go Ahead John? Shocked

Ah well, great track off of a great album. Pretty much all of these are great though.

-------------
http://ellendegenerant.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: December 28 2011 at 23:08
Concierto de Aranjuez, followed by Right Off.

-------------
>:(

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.69 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwiz.co.uk