Forum Description: Blogs, Editorials, Original articles posted by members
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81912
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 00:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Frippism's Spectacular Middle Eastern Blog Zone
Posted By: frippism
Subject: Frippism's Spectacular Middle Eastern Blog Zone
Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 06:03
Yay! So I'm starting a blog and stuff... After a long consideration and many nights looking at the moon and sighing heavily and dramatically I've decided to do the deed.

So this is what's gonna happen. I think. I, being the one with the greatest music taste IN THE UNIVERSE am going to share some of the music that I think I find interesting with you puny commoners, possibly rant about the current state of prog, what I like about it and what I don't like about it, talk about shows I've been to, and possibly talk about unrelated stuff like life in the Middle East and such and share some stuff from Israel, my HQ.

I'll also probably just drool over anything Cardiacs and Cardiacs-related, just because I'm the biggest fanboy in the world and really can't help it.  

So I'll start with what I'm generally just listening to at the mo:

The Book Of Knots picture

I've just started really getting into Book Of Knot's 2011 album "Garden Of Fainting Stars". For anyone not in the cool crowd, Book Of Knots are a freaky avant-rock-sludge-folk-americana outfit consisting of two former Sleepytime Gorilla Museum members and husband and wife Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi, along with Tony Mamoine and Joel Hamilton (who also play music and stuff). The group has recorded 3 albums which have included a million billion guest artists. In the new album we can "big" names from the Californian avant-rock-metal scene like Nils Frykdahl, Mike Patton (damn he kicks ass in his guest track), Trey Spruance (biggest musical genius of the 21st century honestly), Dawn McCArthy and other people. 

The album carries in the very heavy, sort of lush waves of this amazing distortion and heaviness. It's so thick at times you really feel like you can eat it. The guests provide disturbing appearances as they should with freaky narrations and awesome singing by Mike Patton (I ain't his biggest fan but the dude can sing). So far I like it as much as their second album, the absolute deranged and powerful "Traineater"- an album all about the American Rustbelt. The only problem I feel the album has is that its missing some flow- I can't really explain why, maybe just the order of the songs, but all of them are fab. 

Have a listen: 

Enjoy!

And now to a very big event important to any Israeli that might be reading this:

Last night it has been decided by the Israeli gov't and the Hammas, the freedom organization, or terrorist organization (depends really from which side you look at it) have came to agree to release Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit for 1,027 Palestinian prisoners. 

Now I think this deal looks a bit extreme in many ways. One soldier for 1,027 prisoners, some of them responsible for the deaths of many innocent Israelis looks a bit extreme to me but I can't help support the decision. This one soldier has been in captivity for more than 5 years, probably suffered some extreme psychological damage. On the other hand, the freedom of many of these prisoners might put Israel in the same spot again, when Hammas might try kidnap more Israelis- as you can see it has been pretty valuable for them so far. 

I know the whole Israeli-Palestinian subject is a tinny-tiny controversial, but y'know just though it's important to share this and also I want to hear some other opinions.

So first post, woohoo! Enjoy the music!

-------------
There be dragons

Replies:
Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 08:07

Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

And now to a very big event important to any Israeli that might be reading this:

NO. This is a political thread or a music thread.  You cannot have both.

Also I have never understood the purpose of this as a separate subforum or why it has such prominence on the front page, but I guess that is off-topic.

I wasn't really into what I heard from Book of Knots, but you know me.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 10:06
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I wasn't really into what I heard from Book of Knots

Ditto.

-------------

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 10:11
I like the Book of Knots stuff Thumbs Up I'll have to keep my eyes open for them

Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 10:31
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Also I have never understood the purpose of this as a separate subforum or why it has such prominence on the front page, but I guess that is off-topic.

I wasn't really into what I heard from Book of Knots, but you know me.

I'm not going to make it a political thread, but this is a pretty deal at least in Israel, like one of the most historic days in the last decade, so I wanted to share it.

And so sorry I don't really know you but you can always tell me about yourself!

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 10:34

I'm not going to make it a political thread, but this is a pretty deal at least in Israel, like one of the most historic days in the last decade, so I wanted to share it.

But you already made it by posting that. To avoid further off-topic discussions you should edit that part out. 

for one am pro-Palestine and I'd create an argument right here if I weren't conscious about the consequences but this isn't the right place for that.

-------------

Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 11:20
Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

But you already made it by posting that. To avoid further off-topic discussions you should edit that part out. 

for one am pro-Palestine and I'd create an argument right here if I weren't conscious about the consequences but this isn't the right place for that.

This doesn't really have anything to do with being pro-Palestine, you'll find most Israelis are pro-Palestine in one way or another. But yeah forget I brought up the subject it was a mistake to do so.

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 14:09
I think the point has been made and taken, but to emphasise, please keep to the prog music in this area.

@ HP - Your point about this section is valid, why not make a suggestion in the "Help us improve the site" area?

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 14:24
I usually don't care much for avant music unless it's contemporary classical, but this Book of Knots stuff sounds pretty cool. It's only lightly avant, and it's nice to hear Mike Patton actually sing again.

Good luck with the blog.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 15:10
^ yeah in general the experimental scene in California is somewhat more song-oriented while still being experimental, there are many bands from there that you should check out like Charming Hostess, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (which you might know already), Orange Tulip Conspiracy and others I'll probably be talking about.

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 16:42

^ yeah in general the experimental scene in California is somewhat more song-oriented while still being experimental, there are many bands from there that you should check out like Charming Hostess, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (which you might know already), Orange Tulip Conspiracy and others I'll probably be talking about.

I've already listened to all of them, SGM  being a favorite. Wink

-------------

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: October 12 2011 at 18:11
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

I like the Book of Knots stuff Thumbs Up I'll have to keep my eyes open for them
+1 Cool

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 13 2011 at 16:12
One of my most favourite findings of 2011 must be without a doubt Three Trapped Tigers. I already suggested them for PA, but hell I love 'em so much I really should share it here as well...

They're kinda very hard to define but I think that they could be described as electronic-ambient-experimental math/post-rock. They're a trio from London that was founded in 2007 and have 3 EPs and their debut LP came out in 2011. I have to say the while the LP has some really really great moments, it might drags at times and the intense loud parts by far trump the quiet bits. The EPs are where the real good stuff is at. The EPs are all just numbered (you know songs are just called 1 or 2 or whatever comes after that), and so are the songs. I suggest EP2 most, but all 3 are great and the LP is also worth checking out though definitely I am expecting to see how they can improve on their next LP.

Some stuff and other stuff:

Also big thanks to PA user AdyRandom who introduced me to the band.

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: October 13 2011 at 17:25
I'm digging this Three Trapped TIgers, though I'm not hearing any ambient music on any of these tracks. Great stuff regardless.

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: October 13 2011 at 20:04
TTT are math rock like Battles and Giraffes? Giraffes! are. Quite good. I might go see them in two weeks!

Date Posted: October 14 2011 at 00:49
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

I'm digging this Three Trapped TIgers, though I'm not hearing any ambient music on any of these tracks. Great stuff regardless.

I chose the louder songs in general, just because I dig them more. Listen to the LP and you'll see what I mean. It's not full on ambient songs, just these spacious atmospheres and sounds.

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: October 14 2011 at 00:50
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

TTT are math rock like Battles and Giraffes? Giraffes! are. Quite good. I might go see them in two weeks!

Lucky! I've been dying to, the live footage I saw was spectacular. The drummer is the sh*t.

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 14 2011 at 09:44
If it's a blog I have no problem with throwing in a little politics with your discussion on regional music.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 10:09
'Ello! 

So I think whenever my ears come in contact with the word screamo/ post-hardcore my face becomes something similar to a rotten prune on LSD. But once again I have found out that any band and any music style is listenable at least by me if it sounds weird... in a good way. 

The band I'm talking about is Michigan's "La Dispute":

Don't they look adorable........... 

But hey! Their music's not bad at all! I guess you can call it experimental indie post-hardcore. Prominent bass (always a good thing!), twin guitars, a rather wild drummer, and a vocalist who randomly goes from shrieking to singing. The thing that scares me I guess most about post-hardcore is the lyrics: super whiny I-hate-my-life bla-bla-bla-boom-I-shot-myself. Well I guess the lyrics are sort of very much about suffering and hate and suicide, but I think the thing that makes me like their lyrics so much is that they don't use these general, general, vague, and melodramatic statements. The best example I think is from the best song from the album "King Park", where the vocalist describes a shooting with so much detail, that you more feel like get a complete disturbing image in your head. It makes you shake your head more because you just understand what he's talking about, not because you relate yourself to the situation.

I can't completely explain what's so different about "La Dispute" from other post-hardcore bands I've had the unfortunate fate of listening to. But I think it's their brutal honesty. They feel very real, not polished and poppy and gross. Also there's the technical characteristics, like the math-rockish guitars, and great bass, and the generally different song structures which I think separates them from the average screamo guys...

Listen with an open mind, and enjoy!

Some links:

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 11:49
Totally not prog, but I do enjoy this band that hails from my home state. I've been listening to Wildlife on and off for the past few days. Really fantastic considering the screamo post-hardcore label.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:35
^ Well yeah prog it probably isn't, but it's different and interesting nonetheless. 

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: A B Negative
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:36
I enjoyed TTT. I'll check out your other links when I have more time.

-------------
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."

Posted By: MoodyRush
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 00:16
The end of the King Park song song shook me...

-------------
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus

Date Posted: October 22 2011 at 01:17
Hello to all!

I haven't posted for almost a week now because I was in the southernmost city in Israel: Eilat. It is located in most Northern part of the Red Sea, and ends at the border with Sinai. Scuba diving and sleeping on the beach with the desert wind on your face is always a blast. Also you get to wake up to this:

What you're seeing is Aqaba in Jordan (though the fog and the fact the sun is directly behind the mountains is why you can't see any buildings) and probably somewhere there's also the border with Saudi Arabia. This was around 6 a.m. Not the worst view in the world.

Eilat itself though is really a dreadful city. Disgusting and dirty. So if you ever go to the Red Sea desert, either go to Sinai or to Aqaba or Saudi Arabia. If you want to go to Eilat stay away from the city itself and keep it to the coast line. I'm sorry I just hate that city with a fiery passion.

But anyway back to music!!

So anyway being in the desert for 4 days I had to hear some very desert-y style music. Dry distortion, dissonance, Arab scales. And what country says desert better than... Norway.....

Yep! I'm talking about the most un-black metal Norwegian metal band: Virus

This honestly more or less the only good official picture I could find of the band. It's pretty epic nonetheless.

They've just released a new album which I bought about a month ago and am yet to give it a proper listen. Instead I have been coming back to their masterpiece debut "Carheart" again and again and again until it has finally sunk in. The songs aren't that insanely complex, but have such a creepy atmosphere to them that it keeps attracting you back and listening to every tiny detail. When I finally conquered it I found myself with an album that would stay with me long after every listen. 

The band can't be categorized. The only tag I could tag it is "Metal" but that to isn't completely true. It's a unique sound, though it feels almost cozy and recognizable, until it stabs me in the back. 

It's almost I guess post-metal I would call it. The heavy and eerie guitar sounds slapped to yo face by Czarl (that's his stage name I suppose) is just as much there at times to build the atmosphere as it is to give the song melody. The fact that his guitar is in drop-C tuning also really, really, adds to the heaviness. The bass by Plenum is what actually drives the songs forward. A lot of spastic lines at times, upbeat at other times keep this album from sinking in complete mellowness. The drumming is so dry... not in a bad way. More like literally dry. Lots of this very tight snare sound, crisp ride cymbals and such. 

In the end you have the feeling as if you're a hermit in the middle of the Saharan Desert trying to cope with not completely losing it. 

The vocals are also some of the best I've heard. Czarl sound like a freaky biblical prophet, and provides such classic lines such as "my armor is sticky/ with the semen of god"- pretty freaking cool...

Have ye some listens:

Probably my favorite or one of my favorite finds in 2011. I'll probably talk about their new album sometime in the future. 

Enjoy!!!!

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: October 22 2011 at 08:27
I used to listen to Virus a lot, but their new album sounds exactly like the previous 2 and got kind of boring. Their rhythm section is pretty sweet, though.

-------------

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: October 22 2011 at 08:53
I like Virus, I've heard The Black Flux and a couple of tracks off the latest album. Very good stuff. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: October 22 2011 at 09:56
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

I used to listen to Virus a lot, but their new album sounds exactly like the previous 2 and got kind of boring. Their rhythm section is pretty sweet, though.

hm yeah I'm yet to listen to the second album, but listening to the third I can't say I hear much progression, though the tracks are at times more upbeat than anything on "Carheart". I still enjoyed it, I have to give it more listens.

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: October 22 2011 at 23:20
I've thought all your stuff so far was good/decent, but I'm especially digging TTT.

And I'll remember your advice when I'm strolling around the Red Sea desert in my free time Thumbs Up

Date Posted: October 23 2011 at 00:20
^ LOL the Israeli Tourism Ministry is going to make me disappear during the night some day. But they deserve it! That city's crap. 

PLUS they're building a freaking Star-Trek Theme Park in Aqaba (apparently the king even made a cameo appearance sometime in the 60s), so yeah... Any scuba diving Trekkies?

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: Perplexer
Date Posted: October 26 2011 at 01:44
Haven't really posted much on these forums yet, but I randomly checked out your blog today and just wanted to say thanks!  I've liked all of the bands you've posted so far, especially Three Trapped Tigers.  Pretty sure I've heard La Dispute before, but never really took note of them.  I'm probably alone on this, but I rather like post-hardcore and even hardcore, though it's one of the genres that is practically the polar opposite of prog. 

Anyways, I'll be checking back!

Date Posted: October 26 2011 at 02:20
^ Thanks! Very much appreciated. I don't think that hardcore is necessarily polar opposite of prog. Prog can have hardcore elements (check out NoMeansNo to see what I'm talking about) and Prog can have hardcore moments (honestly to many bands I like have these elements. Try Uz Jsme Doma, Cardiacs, Spratleys Japs bla blaa bla). I rather like hardcore myself, only screamo is a bit of turn-off until I heard La Dispute. 

Welcome to the forum, sort of!

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: October 26 2011 at 21:18
I like what I have heard so far. It reminds me a lot of SGM which is not a bad thing.

Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 11:48
To all I send this transmission: Sup?

I haven't posted a new band for almost a week because I'm gonna do a big post now featuring two very lovely bands who performed a show yesterday the 27th in the OzenBar- the venue that is owned by Tel Aviv's (possibly best) CD store- The Third Ear (Ozen is ear in Hebrew so that's why the venue's called what it's called).

The first band is undoubtedly the coolest Israeli band today and possibly ever: Kruzenshtern & Parohod!!!!

Look at their beautiful faces!!!!

They are what could be called... Klezmer-hardcore-death-jazz-oriental rock. f**k yeah. Every time they have a show is a sign for mass celebration (the mass being about 50 people...) to rejoice with wonderful experimental music and compliment each other on their T-shirts of some obscure band ("Residents T-Shirt, right on man! *epic freeze frame high five*). They have one of the weirdest most entertaining and hilarious shows around. The band's bassist and main composer Igor Krutogolov (the one on the left) plays like a drunk Russian 5,000 year old dragon being released from its cage.

Observe some epic faces from yesterday's show (sorry for the crappy quality the camera sucks and I'm a terribly photographer):

Epic faces observed? Good!

The band hasn't released any new album since 2004's "Songs" (which is very recommended if you like being a good person), but the band has plenty of new material which it's currently playing in shows. As good as the early first two albums are, the new material sounds GODLY. A lot of the new stuff features much heavier blast beats and funky klezmer and there's not one song where I explode from laughter just from the sheer joyous weirdness. There's one part in the show where Igor rocked too hard (and was probably somewhat drunk) and he just sorta tripped backwards into the crowd (your's truly almost got a bass to the face), and continued playing from the crowd. Eventually when the band went into this weird improv he went into the middle of the crowd, and played this simple groove just over and over. I would've taken a pic but the flash would've completely ruined the epicness. Eventually he just started singing (like he always does) in this eccentric gibberish. It was so hilarious yet so powerful. One of the most memorable moments I had from any gig.

Overall K&P did what they always do. BE. f**kING. AWESOME. Every time they play a show I get excited. 

And now some snippets of them (just for you <3) from youtube. Honestly they don't really do justice to how good this gig was, but they're still awesome vids:

This last one is a great quality vid of their joint show with French avant-freak-math-folk rock duo Vialka. That was truly one of the best gigs ever!!!

Enjoy K&P!! Hopefully if you're ever in Israel you'll check them out.

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 11:56
I added them to PA several years back; a hectic and tireless bunch playing high energy and frenetic music (though I heard some people doubt usage of that word with regards to this group).
I have ../album.asp?id=12969" rel="nofollow - The Craft Of The Primitive Klezmer and  ../album.asp?id=12970" rel="nofollow - Songs though it's been a while since I've last spun them. But thanks for featuring them, they deserve the exposure and attention.

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 12:30

Yeah I though to split up the posts on the two bands just for it to be less clunky.

Second band! One that has made a comeback in my music library to become one of the top played in the last few months. I'm talking of the Czech Uz Jsme Doma!!!! 

This band's been around for 27 years. Started to play While the Czech Republic was still Czechoslovakia and the Communist regime banned most rock bands, and so they played many secret shows until the fall of Eastern European Communism. They are I guess in essence a punk band with many freaky proggy elements. The also have these awesome Gregorian chanting style vocals at many places and it's always a treat. I think this is their first time in Israel, and with addition to the Tel Aviv show they're also playing in Haifa and Jerusalem (shows unfortunately I probably won't make considering there's no public transportation in most Israeli cities during the Shabbat... Damn). I was really excited about this show and even the late time couldn't dumb down my expectations.

The band started out with one of the songs from their 2010 album "Caves" (I'm not gonna use the Czech names just because I can hardly remember how to pronounce their first name), and with the first song the crowd all of a sudden became half-Czech and I was hearing Czech all over the place. Honestly there's something very Czech in Uz Jsme Doma that makes me also curious about the Czech culture as well as the music. 

The sound was a little off in the first songs but it really picked up after the 3rd songs. The guys looked like they were enjoying themselves! 

The guys played absolutely fabulous, particularly the drummer and the bassist, who were just on freaking fire. The band went through most of their songs off of "Caves", which really is a great album. They also did the "classic" (well sort of a classic) "Jassica", which more or less only me and my brother knew the actual melody to from the crowdLOL and sang along. Come to think about it I think me and my brother were the only ones who knew anything about Uz Jsme Doma it seems from the crowd, even the Czech crowd didn't seem to go "wooooooooooooh" when some kind of well known song was played. 

By the time show was over I was extremely pleased with the whole night and considering the late time I was also tired as hell. I went over to Miloslav Wanek (the singer and guitarist) thanked him for an awesome show, shaked his incredibly sweaty hand (wow... I didn't know a person was capable of sweating so much) and went off my way home. 

Check out some Uz Jsme Doma:

It was a wonderful night and I want to thank both bands for being nice people and awesome musicians. The progressive scene is alive and well :).

Bye and stuff.

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 12:33
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I added them to PA several years back; a hectic and tireless bunch playing high energy and frenetic music (though I heard some people doubt usage of that word with regards to this group).
I have ../album.asp?id=12969" rel="nofollow - The Craft Of The Primitive Klezmer and  ../album.asp?id=12970" rel="nofollow - Songs though it's been a while since I've last spun them. But thanks for featuring them, they deserve the exposure and attention.

No problem! They're just too good it's a shame no one really knows of their existence. Is it prog? Um debatable. But it's really some of the most unique stuff there is out there, and so for that alone they worthy of laudation. 

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: Barah86
Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 13:24
That's awesome i might show up to the next show... 

-------------
Death seed blind man's greed
Poets' starving children bleed
Nothing he's got he really needs
Twenty first century schizoid man.

Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 13:28
^ Hello fellow Israelite! You most very definitely should!

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: November 05 2011 at 14:00
Hello yall!

So I didn't post this week at all honestly because I was actually thinking whether or not I should share this group. But f**k it I'm doing it! 

In my epic quest to find hip-hop I can enjoy, this one group has shown it's beautiful face to me: them call "Death Grips"!!

Quite honestly some of the strangest most awesome sh*t I've come across in a while! I'm legitimately very excited to listen to this thing over and over and over again!!!! The only one group member whose name is actually said is drummer is Zach Hill (who you might now if you're into spazz-core style stuff. He was in bands like Hella and other insane ohzphzdpojhazdpgadf math rock. It's not easy stuff at all but some of it is worth checking out). There aren't really any drums on this record though, so I guess Zach was just producing or arranging what is essentially a mix-tape. 

The group is displays a demented, dark style, spastic, crazy style of hip-hop. The rapper more or less screams the lyrics the whole way through. When I first heard him scream "I AM THE BEAST I WORSHIP" in the first song "Beware" (which by the way, starts with a sample of Charles Manson) I knew I finally found hip-hop that I can not only like and respect, but really love and delve myself into. There are many insane samples on this, like Arthur Brown's "Fire", or Pink Floyd's "Astronomy Domine", or Black Flag samples and stuff like that. The beats are always these incredibly intense, dense, glitchy, grooves which make you move in the most messed up ways (ever danced the "crack-addict-waffle"? I think it's time you learned the moves). 

The mix tape is available free from their website http://thirdworlds.net/exmilitary.php" rel="nofollow -
If your too lazy to download the thing, here are some youtuby linkies: 

I think that last one also samples Magma! Can anyone confirm??

Anyway enjoy with an open mind!! And enjoy in general. 

Bye

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: ProgressiveAttic
Date Posted: November 09 2011 at 18:34
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

If it's a blog I have no problem with throwing in a little politics with your discussion on regional music.

First time I read this blog! Nice! (specially the Kruzenshtern & Parohod!)

Based on what Slarti said I'll do something a bit dangerous...lets see what happens... Frank Zappa once said, "Never discuss politics in a disco environment".... what about a prog one?

Two great Israeli Prog bands... one new and one classic!

Eggroll with Foe:

and the excellent Prog ballad The Little Prince by Ktzat Acheret (beautiful lyrics by controversial Israeli poet Yonathan Geffen -also father of Aviv Geffen, also controversial singer-songwriter and one half of Balckfield- any of our Israeli friends willing to translate? I am not a very good translator...):

Speaking of Israeli Prog... a bit of shameless self-promotion: catch the re-run of the 4th Part of my online radio show's "Israeli Prog Documentary Series"! For more info: http://deliciousagony.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=21918#21918" rel="nofollow - http://deliciousagony.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=21918#21918

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Date Posted: November 09 2011 at 20:40

Eilat itself though is really a dreadful city. Disgusting and dirty.

You forgot the horrible heat... I never understood what's all the fuzz about Eilat... There are better beaches in the Gush Dan region...

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: November 09 2011 at 21:32
Isreal kicks ass !  And they have some amazing musicians too. I love AHVAK and studio wizard Udi Koomran.Just sayin'

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: November 09 2011 at 21:48
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Isreal kicks ass !  And they have some amazing musicians too. I love AHVAK and studio wizard Udi Koomran.Just sayin'

Like!

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2011 at 22:50
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

Eilat itself though is really a dreadful city. Disgusting and dirty.

You forgot the horrible heat... I never understood what's all the fuzz about Eilat... There are better beaches in the Gush Dan region...

The heat's bearable if you're ALWAYS in the shade, because of the dry desert air, for me at least. In the city itself there's nothing. Really nothing. It's a huge waste dump. But hell if you like scuba diving there's plenty to do. I never really go there for the city itself. 
The beaches in Gush Dan are better, but you don't get to see all the wonderful fishies in the pond in the Mediterranean!

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: November 09 2011 at 22:54

First time I read this blog! Nice! (specially the Kruzenshtern & Parohod!)

Based on what Slarti said I'll do something a bit dangerous...lets see what happens... Frank Zappa once said, "Never discuss politics in a disco environment".... what about a prog one?

Two great Israeli Prog bands... one new and one classic!

Eggroll with Foe:

and the excellent Prog ballad The Little Prince by Ktzat Acheret (beautiful lyrics by controversial Israeli poet Yonathan Geffen -also father of Aviv Geffen, also controversial singer-songwriter and one half of Balckfield- any of our Israeli friends willing to translate? I am not a very good translator...):

Speaking of Israeli Prog... a bit of shameless self-promotion: catch the re-run of the 4th Part of my online radio show's "Israeli Prog Documentary Series"! For more info: http://deliciousagony.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=21918#21918" rel="nofollow - http://deliciousagony.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=21918#21918

Woah you actually made a whole 4 part radio show on Israeli Prog? I'm surprised there's so much to talk about! 

And yes Ktzat Acheret along with Kaveret and Sheshet are really well-known and celebrated here. So you can't say Israelis don't like prog (as long as you don't explain to them that the music is prog). I've seen Eggroll in concert once, it was pretty cool :). 

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: December 03 2011 at 10:01
Alright!! It's been a month! But yeah I was away a lot so...

Plus I was delving into many new bands and albums, so this month has really been a big breath of fresh air for me. Plenty of John Zorn and Tzadik related recommendations will come in the future...

But now for Cardiacs-related recommendations!!

I've been constantly motivating myself to buy this album for the last 6 months or so, until the Hemulen's blog finally gave me the final push to actually buy it (By the it's an excellent blog). 

The album is William D. Drake's "The Rising Of Lights". 

The Rising Of The Lights Cover Art

Bill Drake, the beautiful man pictured below

is probably most known for being the Cardiacs' keyboard player through the years 1983 to 1991. He appeared on their first four albums and was a pretty vital, key figure to the Cardiacs' early sound and song-writing. Bill displays some of the most complex, yet heart-wrenching and heart-warming playing I've ever heard. His ability to combine all different these different forms of popular music with complex arrangements make his sound easily recognizable. On his new album, you can hear a lot of proggy elements (Gentle Giants-ish vocals in many spots and complex songs and all that jazz) incorporated with the old psychedelic pop tunes Bill is just so great at churning out.

Bill isn't the only great musician on the album. Bill's band really brings a lot of character to the album. The clarinet is really a power instrument here, bringing some beautiful classical-tinged moments, but the sound in general is from all over the place. Bits of weird synthesizers, jazz, classical, Celtic music, psychedelia, prog, you name it, all packaged by a lovely pop tune. 

The album can be streamed from Bill's bandcamp right here:  http://williamddrake.bandcamp.com/album/the-rising-of-the-lights" rel="nofollow - http://williamddrake.bandcamp.com/album/the-rising-of-the-lights

I'd say the big highlight are "Super Altar", "Ornamental Hermit", and the beautiful "Homesweet Homestead Hideaway". 

Enjoy!!!

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 07:33
Smile

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 11:05
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Smile

Shocked

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 13:01
I've heard a few William Drake songs via other members of this site and he sounds pretty good.

-------------

Posted By: centum
Date Posted: January 12 2012 at 17:07

frippism, I've d*w*l*d*d almost everything you've mentioned here

thank you, man

keep up the good work

it's a pity I have almost no time to listen to new music (Cardiacs included), I've found more interesting bands in the last month than I had in the last 3 years

btw, do you know anything about what's happening with Secret Chiefs 3 right now?

Date Posted: January 13 2012 at 03:41
Originally posted by centum centum wrote:

frippism, I've d*w*l*d*d almost everything you've mentioned here

thank you, man

keep up the good work

it's a pity I have almost no time to listen to new music (Cardiacs included), I've found more interesting bands in the last month than I had in the last 3 years

btw, do you know anything about what's happening with Secret Chiefs 3 right now?

Thanks! I do have a lot of stuff I'm going to put on here. Just kinda needed a break from the stuff I've been listening to and I'm busy still finding out new stuff. Unfortunately I can't say I know much about what's going on with SC3 album-wise. I do know they're still touring. Never seem to come to Israel again unfortunately  :(.

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: March 22 2012 at 13:14
It's been two months!

Well, new stuff's been listened to, old stuff's been listened to. Plenty of bizarre black metal, for instance. And lots of interesting rap/ hip-hop. All in good time.

Two whole new moons brought with them plenty of material. But I feel like I really need to make note of this duo, as they deserve it. I'm talking of Israeli synth pop duo Bney Hama (בני המה):

This duo, of musicians who already have quite a name here, Ohad Fishof and Ishai Adar, are known here as members of short-lived but quite famous (and actually, also rather excellent) alternative rock band "The Top Hat Carriers" (Nosei Ha-Migba'at  נושאי המגבעת), who dismantled long ago in 1992. Since then, they have been working together doing music, video art, and soundtrack stuff. Ohad Fishof has become this sorta all can do guy- and is notable for doing some interesting stuff with modern dance (which has only become an interest of mine recently).

But to the album: It's amazing. Really. It's one of the more interesting, powerful, accessible yet uncompromising and unforgettable listens I've had. Released in 12.12.11, I would've put it in my top something lists if it didn't take me so long to actually sit down and really listen to it. I actually went to the release party show, which was in the Tmuna theater in Tel Aviv, and it just completely blew my mind. But for some reason it took me a while to sit and truly listen to this. 

The album itself is a mix of synth pop, with elements of Kraftwerk, in my opinion. With that, Bney Hama are not afraid to use noise, weird samples, and difficult, interesting texts. The melodies are so infectious, but they are off-putting, and stirring. 
One of the stronger elements for me, are the lyrics and vocal delivery. Ohad Fishof's vocals are captivating with their charisma and are almost hypnotizing. It's a shame that most people won't understand the Hebrew lyrics, because the texts are all again, captivating. But I think that the Goys (Big smile) will still appreciate Fishof's vocal delivery, and maybe try to sing phonetically in Hebrew. 

Possibly, the best album of 2011. Shame it took me so long to understand it.

Bney Hama Cover Art

http://bneyhama.bandcamp.com/album/bney-hama" rel="nofollow - http://bneyhama.bandcamp.com/album/bney-hama

not free, but can be streamed in entirety.

<3

לילה טוב

Edit: Check out awesome music video

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: dennismoore
Date Posted: April 09 2012 at 21:44

First time I read this blog! Nice! http://deliciousagony.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=21918#21918" rel="nofollow -

First:  Hello Mr. Frippism,

I just happened upon this thread, If I may....

I have no idea why anybody would have a problem with the original pretense of this thread.  The gentleman is Israeli and likes weird musicWink.  I see no valid reason why both shouldn't be discussed in this thread. Perhaps a mod can help move it if that is what is making certain people unhappy. I think it was unwaranted for the 2 posters to come in here heavy handed and make demands. I would very much like to see threads from other countries and read about the issues of the day that concern those people.

This is a public forum.

If a person with differing views does not like this thread, perhaps they should stay clear or make their own thread.
People can learn from this thread and people could learn from other threads that are started by persons of other beliefs.

There are threads here on PA that really could get a strong reaction from me and arguments would probably evolve, so I simply stay away.  Nobody forces anybody to participate in any thread. Censoring I would hope is a universal concept that all peoples should want to avoid. Yet we saw it on two occasions here in this thread.

I have learned three things from this thread already.

1. People need to think about peace at least once in a while
2. Israel has some very beautiful places
3. Frippism sure likes some very very strange bands that I have tried but can't get into. Smile (perhaps one day he will try to give Tales From Topographic Oceans another try, maybe during one of his oceanside camp-outs, hint hint.)

-------------
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk