Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82011
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 05:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What is it ?
Posted By: Atavachron
Subject: What is it ?
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 02:58
What are we all doing here?   Day after day, year after year, this continues to be one of the chattiest and most active music forums on the net.   Is it something about Prog Rock that tends to attract some of the most dedicated and obsessive fans in the world?   Could it be that Prog in its entirety was never properly preserved, and much of the lesser prog was on the verge of extinction before digital technology and worldwide access pulled it from oblivion?   Or maybe the time was ripe for a nostalgic second age of rock for the brain?

What do you think..?

Replies:
Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 06:07
My experience on metal-archives was quite similar...a loyal following, with more and more new members being added too.   In metal, it is the sense of a metal culture and lifestyle which even, for its diehard followers, transcends music that brings people together. In prog, it's probably the fact that it is hard to find others whom you can talk to about some of your favourite music. Tongue One of the striking features for me on this forum is it is so easy to agree to disagree. I have seen, and participated in, long discussions with the participants not in agreement but still seeing fit to discuss. On most internet forums that I have been on, disagreements threaten to balloon and swing out of control but progheads are like economists in that regard.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 06:46
Interesting question my little pear shaped playmate to be sure. I've always thought that distinct from other 'standalone' music phenomena (like say Reggae, Metal, Funk, Dance, Blues, Punk, Pop etc) the very eclectic nature of the beast we call Prog requires a more diverse exposure to the historical and contemporary elements it assimilates to be appreciated to the full.
(Gawd that sound vaingloriousEmbarrassed) Anyways, this perhaps engenders an enthusiast with a broader knowledge base of different musics, hence the relatively relaxed and friendly nature of the forums?

Though watch out for that Atavachron guy (he will eat your young, open your mail and squeezes the toothpaste from the bottom of the tube - allegedly)

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 06:57
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

the very eclectic nature of the beast we call Prog requires a more diverse exposure to the historical and contemporary elements it assimilates to be appreciated to the full.
(Gawd that sound vaingloriousEmbarrassed) Anyways, this perhaps engenders an enthusiast with a broader knowledge base of different musics, hence the relatively relaxed and friendly nature of the forums?

Yes, without meaning to bring up the old chestnut of pomposity, the difference with prog is it is a very conscious choice for the listener.  So, there seems to be a lot less of prog fanboism - though Toaster Mantis might not agree if he read this? Tongue - compared to what I have seen in other genres.  People are more aware of whatever its limitations may be and, yes, because prog by nature is so eclectic with few enjoying ALL its sub genres, disagreement is more easily accommodated here than in many forums I have been on.  Nobody really wears their identity as progheads as a badge of honour; they know it's just the music that matters at the end of the day.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 07:53
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

What are we all doing here?   Day after day, year after year, this continues to be one of the chattiest and most active music forums on the net.   Is it something about Prog Rock that tends to attract some of the most dedicated and obsessive fans in the world?   Could it be that Prog in its entirety was never properly preserved, and much of the lesser prog was on the verge of extinction before digital technology and worldwide access pulled it from oblivion?   Or maybe the time was ripe for a nostalgic second age of rock for the brain?

What do you think..?

Killing time.  I waste sufficient time here that I am absolutely clueless about any other for ems.  I think the internet does deserve a lot of credit for keeping things alive, but for me it never went into oblivion unless you take to the individual artist level.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 08:19
Did you ever experience the sensation of having discovered something incredibly good, able to change your life and your mind, trying to share this experience with somebody else to hear things like "it's already three minutes that it started when does it finish?" Put on Camel and see them replaced by The Wham? 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: wjohnd
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 08:38
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

People are more aware of whatever its limitations may be and, yes, because prog by nature is so eclectic with few enjoying ALL its sub genres, disagreement is more easily accommodated here than in many forums I have been on.

Nobody really wears their identity as progheads as a badge of honour; they know it's just the music that matters at the end of the day.

If by this you mean - progheads are generally a bit older, bit better educated and more laidback than other music fans  then broadly I'd agree....

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 08:39
Maybe some of those albums released in the prime of this weird and wonderful genre - are just now finally unraveling themselves to people. Remember those threads about growers? 
That sounded kind of silly, but I do think that music or any art for that matter - well the types that require you to listen and watch intently and without preservations - is slow to unfold and shed its mysteries. Maybe we just need to share our favorite music, and our thoughts about it with like-minded folks? Although we are quite the number of members on PA, we still remain anomalies to a large portion of the radio friendly crowds.

Or maybe we´re trying to rekindle the past, educate the youngsters(myself included), share our passion, connect with Arabia and the Philippines, help down and out record companies/bands/artists?
I don´t know what I´m doing half the time, so asking me what we´re all doing is perhaps aching to cockinessLOL
Right now I´m feasting on a succulent pear for lunch. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 10:02
Originally posted by wjohnd wjohnd wrote:

People are more aware of whatever its limitations may be and, yes, because prog by nature is so eclectic with few enjoying ALL its sub genres, disagreement is more easily accommodated here than in many forums I have been on.

Nobody really wears their identity as progheads as a badge of honour; they know it's just the music that matters at the end of the day.

If by this you mean - progheads are generally a bit older, bit better educated and more laidback than other music fans  then broadly I'd agree....

Yeah, pretty much, you said it better than me.

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 10:23
I like progressive music. I don't have any friends close to my actual physical body, so I use this site as a way to talk to people who I have something in common with, whether the topic be the music we like, our status in school, news with families, or whatever.

I'd be so lonely without this place :(

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:41
What are we doing here? Simple - we are growing, and preparing the way for the day when progheads take over responsibility for the running of all societiesNuke

Or, it could be that we are a tiny, little bit, obsesssive!Embarrassed

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:44
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

I like progressive music. I don't have any friends close to my actual physical body, so I use this site as a way to talk to people who I have something in common with, whether the topic be the music we like, our status in school, news with families, or whatever.

Pretty much this right here.

Posted By: progistoomainstream
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:48
Prog is one of the few genres that I can fully and completely relate to. I feel that most good prog songs are simple in their complexity, short in their length, consise in their exaduration and funny in their seriousness. Prog is just a world of Art, Language and Noise but it holds these values true. That is what "it" is.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 13:03
Music has long  been my obsession Geek;  it is one of the ways I inividualized myself from my family and the less-than-glorious friends of younger days.  This site is a way for me to remain engaged in Prog, which is the core of my listening pleasure.  My tastes in music are eclectic, and much of it is brought together on this site: what we call symphonic prog here, folk, jazz fusion, what we call heavy prog here.  This site also allows me to explore and better appreciate some of my old favorites as well as introduce me to new artists.  By new, I do not mean those that have recently formed, but those new to my experience.  For example, Gryphon folded decades ago, but I just discovered them via the archives a few years prior.

I appreciate the way the question is raised.  Clap  It is not a matter of what defines Prog, for that issue has been raised many times and always devolves into unreconcilable expressions of viewpoints.  This question allows us to present our own views in an atmosphere that allows many to be brought together and perhaps synthesized.  As I frequently say, the questions are just as important as the answers, because the questions frame the way they can be answered.  Each of us has a unique experience and I really enjoy reading them.  There is no one answer to this question, nor should there be.  What is it?  It is many things.  That is what makes this community interesting to me, and why I am still involved.  Handshake

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 13:15
Mostly I'm still here because I'm a pathetic procrastinator, but I do value this place as a means to explore and discover music and communicate with people about music and music related issues.  Like others, I have no one in so-called real life to chat about these kinds of music with. And this is a place where I can be absurd/ inane or acerbic at times and not have to really worry about the consequences.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 13:43
I'm only here for the Shred Room

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 13:52
My friends are not in prog, so i have to find a community somewhere, and here on internet, i can find space to express my passion for prog music. 

Posted By: Adams Bolero
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 14:01
Here in the west coast of Ireland it seems like no one knows what Prog is so I feel very isolated. This place makes me feel less alone. It's nice to know I'm not the only person in the world listening to Art Zoyd and Henry Cow! 

-------------
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 14:30

I might get attacked for this, but I think there is a bit of a correlation between people who enjoy discussing, analysing, over-analysing, tearing apart, making polls about, disagreeing about, arguing over, attaching hugely inflated importance to, citing philosophical, political, or social genius within, boycotting, corruptly rating and reviewing by creating multiple accounts, and least of all, listening to their music....... and people who happen to like prog.

Big smile

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 14:46
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

I might get attacked for this, but I think there is a bit of a correlation between people who enjoy discussing, analysing, over-analysing, tearing apart, making polls about, disagreeing about, arguing over, attaching hugely inflated importance to, citing philosophical, political, or social genius within, boycotting, corruptly rating and reviewing by creating multiple accounts, and least of all, listening to their music....... and people who happen to like prog.

Big smile

Did you mean that everyone that like prog doesn't listen to their music?... Or that showing your love for prog music is a sign of sickness?...

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 14:50

What do you think..?

I come here for the women.  LOL

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 15:26
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Big smile

Did you mean that everyone that like prog doesn't listen to their music?... Or that showing your love for prog music is a sign of sickness?...

No, I was just joking around, implying that, in light of the amount of time a lot of people spend here, they must do all those other things more than they actually listen to prog. Myself included, of course.

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 15:37
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

What do you think..?

I´m glad I´m not the only one thenLOL
Those bearded chicks from the Zeuhl quarters are some saucy mamas...

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 17:29
I don't have a lot of friends or family, and PA is a way of communicating and connecting with people that has become very important to me.
          Progressive music is very important to me in itself, and being able to talk about it with like minded people is a real thrill!

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 17:41
I just think it's way cool to have some computer discourse with folks from around the world who like some of the same music I do.  Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 18:05

One of the striking features for me on this forum is it is so easy to agree to disagree. I have seen, and participated in, long discussions with the participants not in agreement but still seeing fit to discuss. On most internet forums that I have been on, disagreements threaten to balloon and swing out of control but progheads are like economists in that regard.
I know what you mean, it feels good to be appreciated for having an independent mind or point of view, and to state it without fear of much more than a serious and/or silly debate

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 18:10

Interesting question my little pear shaped playmate to be sure. I've always thought that distinct from other 'standalone' music phenomena (like say Reggae, Metal, Funk, Dance, Blues, Punk, Pop etc) the very eclectic nature of the beast we call Prog requires a more diverse exposure to the historical and contemporary elements it assimilates to be appreciated to the full.
I've considered that first part about diversity too, but yes Prog may indeed require - and may also promote - a larger historic and art vocabulary

Though watch out for that Atavachron guy (he will eat your young, open your mail and squeezes the toothpaste from the bottom of the tube - allegedly)
Untrue; I only this year started squeezing from the bottom

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 18:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Maybe some of those albums released in the prime of this weird and wonderful genre - are just now finally unraveling themselves to people. Remember those threads about growers?
Could be, 'specially with Prog

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Right now I´m feasting on a succulent pear for lunch.
That's not funny

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 18:15
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

I'd be so lonely without this place :(
Honest, and probably true for a lot of us

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 18:16
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

You think?

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 19:24
Originally posted by progistoomainstream progistoomainstream wrote:

Prog is one of the few genres that I can fully and completely relate to. I feel that most good prog songs are simple in their complexity, short in their length, consise in their exaduration and funny in their seriousness. Prog is just a world of Art, Language and Noise but it holds these values true. That is what "it" is.
That's why you like Prog, but why are you here-- would you say Prog is important?  Important enough to discuss with the kind of protracted, verbose seriousness we do here?

Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 19:26
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Music has long  been my obsession Geek;  it is one of the ways I inividualized myself from my family and the less-than-glorious friends of younger days.  This site is a way for me to remain engaged in Prog, which is the core of my listening pleasure.  My tastes in music are eclectic, and much of it is brought together on this site: what we call symphonic prog here, folk, jazz fusion, what we call heavy prog here.  This site also allows me to explore and better appreciate some of my old favorites as well as introduce me to new artists.  By new, I do not mean those that have recently formed, but those new to my experience.  For example, Gryphon folded decades ago, but I just discovered them via the archives a few years prior.

I appreciate the way the question is raised.  Clap  It is not a matter of what defines Prog, for that issue has been raised many times and always devolves into unreconcilable expressions of viewpoints.  This question allows us to present our own views in an atmosphere that allows many to be brought together and perhaps synthesized.  As I frequently say, the questions are just as important as the answers, because the questions frame the way they can be answered.  Each of us has a unique experience and I really enjoy reading them.  There is no one answer to this question, nor should there be.  What is it?  It is many things.  That is what makes this community interesting to me, and why I am still involved.  Handshake
Lovely post

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 19:39
Combo breaker.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: frippism
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 23:39
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Combo breaker.

That's terribly mean.

I think I've been lucky enough to have many friends who at least like some form of progressive music, and one friend who likes more or less exactly the same types of music I like. With that I think it's still fun to talk about these things with people from all around the world and plus get info about bands I've never had the chance to check out.

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 00:35
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Combo breaker.
That's terribly mean.
Isnt it?  You'd think he'd love reading 53 straight posts by me.

Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 03:31
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I don't have a lot of friends or family, and PA is a way of communicating and connecting with people that has become very important to me.
          Progressive music is very important to me in itself, and being able to talk about it with like minded people is a real thrill!
Cool--  I have far fewer friends than I used to as well

... I blame Prog  LOL

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 06:28
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

What do you think..?

Both of them?

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 11:45
The reason why i'm here (don't laugh) is to show to all here my great musical knowlegde and how big a musical collection i have. A friend of mine once told me that and the guy was serious !!

And if an old friend thinks it, that must be true.

-------------

Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 13:53
Prog is the only genre in rock music that is appreciated by people who take time to listen,  think, analyse, argue, etc.
In all other genres, you get a immediate feeling, a impression that make people conclude, that they like it or not. In prog, it's not "Black and White", it's in the nuances, and it takes time to developp our taste for it. Prog music is written in a complexity that requires a interpretation that is also complex, and for this reason, need a more  elaborate explanation.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 15:26
I don't have as much time as I would like to dedicate to PA, let alone to check any other forums on the net, but I guess it's not that special, I guess there are also very active forums for many other hobbies or passions, be them prog rock, stamp or coin collecting, scale models, motorbike freaks, Star Treck freaks, gaming, sex, politics, fishing, hacking... anything. We just happen to like prog and enjoy sharing it, the same as other people like to share their different passions.

Here I always learn something I didn't know about this odd prog passion, and the folks around are for the most part nice, so I have a good time when I can spend some time here. And as others have said, it's not that easy to find other proggers in real life, so the net is useful.

And I guess most proggers are either old or ugly or both, so it's also a good thing we don't see each other's faces LOL

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:10
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I just think it's way cool to have some computer discourse with folks from around the world who like some of the same music I do.  Big smile

Yes indeed! Big smile

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:10
What are we all doing here??
Well I can only speak for myself, after piddling in other music forums this site is simply the best. I have been on band specific, genre specific sites and while those are fine for a short time, there is not much to discuss once you get passed the "Why do you think xxx band is so great!"... "Why do you think xxx genre is the best?", simply no substance beyond the obvious answer.
For at least a year I came to PA just looking around, reading and "listening" to everyone........I laughed, I cried, I got pissed, I cheered and I booed!
Then I decided to join the PA, it just felt right after visiting so many other music sites on the world wide web. I don't really think it had much to do with my lifelong love of progressive music, what I saw and still see is a lot of respect for the members, which is important to me. I mean most of us don't have a lot of extra time on our hands so I don't fancy wasting it on a site that does not respect another members views, or worse has "forum clicks"......now "forum chicks" would be good!

Anyhow, I am here because I feel welcomed and comfortable enough to express my opinions without any disrepectful backlash.

Its just a good place to be.......Ohh and BTW, the music is pretty good too.

Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:42
I discovered prog by accident, when I uploaded The Wall to my itunes player it was labeled as "progressive" I was intrigued by the label and did a google search, from then on this site has brought me more listening enjoyment than any other... I am here to discover and aid others in discovering great music!

oh and also arguing endlesslyBig smile

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 18:01
^ serendipity or what Approve

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 19:26
For me, the biggest reason is that I can talk about one of my passions in life (prog) when I would normally never be able to do so.  I have 1 friend that I know in real life that's actually into prog (not just PF or DT), and I feel like I can't express what I really love about music around most people.  For example, there have been times when I really want to listen to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum or something but feel like I can't because my brother is in the car.  Other times I'll even play something that I consider "normal" like Porcupine Tree and get reactions like "What the heck is that!".  Really, it just comes down to being able to openly express myself and talk to some people that are actually weirder than me  Wink

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 20:12
Originally posted by Eärendil Eärendil wrote:

For me, the biggest reason is that I can talk about one of my passions in life (prog) when I would normally never be able to do so.  I have 1 friend that I know in real life that's actually into prog (not just PF or DT), and I feel like I can't express what I really love about music around most people.  For example, there have been times when I really want to listen to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum or something but feel like I can't because my brother is in the car.  Other times I'll even play something that I consider "normal" like Porcupine Tree and get reactions like "What the heck is that!".  Really, it just comes down to being able to openly express myself and talk to some people that are actually weirder than me  Wink
you need to get over that oneWink
I just play whatever comes to mind whenever I want, if that means that i get a funny look or even an angry response I dont care... actually people are way more accepting of music if you act like theres nothing wrong with a band singing in a made up language in opera style with jazz backing...Cool

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Posted By: Isa
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 21:57
Awesome thread. 

I think the answer is simple: it's because we meet so few people in real life who share the kind of love for music in general that nearly all proggers have. Wink

-------------
The human heart instrinsically longs for that which is true, good, and beautiful. This is why timeless music is never without these qualities.

Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 21:59
Originally posted by Proletariat Proletariat wrote:

I discovered prog by accident, when I uploaded The Wall to my itunes player it was labeled as "progressive" I was intrigued by the label and did a google search, from then on this site has brought me more listening enjoyment than any other...
Very neat

Posted By: cyclysm748
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 23:32
I really don't post on here a lot, but usually just read what others have to say. I always keep coming back to the site mainly just to find new stuff to listen to, but this forum seems to be filled with open minded funny people that always have interesting things to say so I can't stay away from checking out the new posts in the forum. Keep posting people, it is very entertaining.

-------------
I'm sorry but the card says moops.

Posted By: 42ndAGE
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:52
IT IS REAL; IT IS RAEL Tongue

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 11:16
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Did you ever experience the sensation of having discovered something incredibly good, able to change your life and your mind, trying to share this experience with somebody else to hear things like "it's already three minutes that it started when does it finish?" Put on Camel and see them replaced by The Wham? 

+1

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 11:23
"Mom, Dad, don't touch it, it's pure evil."
photo

-------------

Posted By: Theriver
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 14:04

What are we doing here? Simple - we are growing, and preparing the way for the day when progheads take over responsibility for the running of all societiesNuke

Can't agree more....

A bit sad too no?

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 13:23
I love surfing through P.A. to read what members have written about "Chamber Rock". That sound's a bit selfish I know. I haven't touched base with anyone in particular for many years who has an interest in Chamber music or Chamber Rock....and so when I read their posts....I am in heaven! I love Chamber music from the middle ages and through the 20th century and still have endless possibilities of new discoveries. Many members of this site have vital information to offer regarding the style and I thrive, breath, and live for that. I cherish those moments of conversing with them because I haven't crossed paths with anyone to share that common interest with since the early 80's. I thank my lucky stars there are people on this site willing to discuss it. 

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 14:01
@Toddler.
What, what!? I searched the site for Chamber Rock but didn't find this as a sub-genre. Can you, please, give me some examples to check out. It sounds like something I'd appreciate.  

Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 14:31
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

@Toddler.
What, what!? I searched the site for Chamber Rock but didn't find this as a sub-genre. Can you, please, give me some examples to check out. It sounds like something I'd appreciate.  
Probably not  technically correct for me to label it as "Chamber Rock". Look under RIO for these bands. Rio/Avant.....On a personal level...I consider a piece of music like "UN JOUR AU CHATEAU" by Art Zoyd to be a form of "Chamber Rock' when I consider the choice of instruments. Many bands like Art Zoyd who select specific instruments that were used in "Chamber Music" some 200 years ago I consider a form of what could be defined as "Chamber Rock". Although the approach in their styles regarding notation and modes seems to derive from 20th century composers like Cage, Crumb, Peter Maxwell Davies etc. The instrumental sections of music on Zappa's 200 Motels that are influenced possibly by Stravinsky seem to repeat themselves in a subtle fashion through the early releases of Art Zoyd and maybe even 1313 by Univers Zero. The mentality of approach musicially derives from the old concept of Chamber music.

The small grouping of musicians to play specific instruments together producing bizzare sounding tri-tone harmonies that one would hear in the Bartok string quartets...
Look up Chamber Music and read a little history on it...just to get the idea or concept of how the gathering of small groups of musicians playing specific instruments created a special sound. Then expose yourself to a few 20th century compositions for string quartet. John Cage's pieces for string quartet would be ideal. Then listen to Far Corner's first release or Univers Zero's and you will be able to hear that distinctive sound with a progressive rock edge within. That is why I call it "Chamber Rock". However it is listed under the catagorical term of RIO. Sorry for any confusion.

Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 15:09
The last release from Univers Zero is closer to being defined as a form of classy Chamber music than Chamber rock. A good healthy method of preparing your ears for Rio or what I call Chamber Rock is to check out a cd titled "Winter is Hard" by Kronos Quartet. Here a piece like Fratres ....Arvo Part...realized by Thomas Hofer is an introduction to the style present in Rio. Or Quartet NO. 3 By Alfred Schnittke and even Terry Riley's "Half-Wolf Dances Mad In Moonlight" performed ONLY by Kronos Quartet is a wonderful introduction to the style in RIO. Although I am not a fan of Terry Riley's works.....the piece is representive stylistically of what makes itself present in Chamber Rock or Rio. One Kronos Quartet release is basically a variety of pieces from various composers being a great introduction to what is out there.

The jazz side to RIO can be enjoyable and it can be found on many of the early Zappa releases....however I much prefer to hear the Patrick Zimmerli Ensemble instead. To make the distinction between the common sounding "Chamber Rock" and Jazz you must be able to pick up on the particular choice of notes utilized for improvisiation in both. This is how Jazz improv makes itself available in Rio. For example.....notes that were written out for a piece of music by George Crumb are improvised on sax creating a Jazz feel. Notes played on bassoon, oboe, violin, and English horn in a Univers Zero piece can be improvised in a Jazz style by Patrick Zimmerli Ensemble giving a composition the feel of a Chamber Rock piece. Rio is composition and improvisation based around the notes written in the music of 20th century composers. Some people think it is all loosely connected until they learn to play an instrument and realize one day that the notes they learned in a Rio piece....they previously played and connected the same way in Bernard Hermann's The Day the Earth Stood Still. Regarding the educational aspect of this music all the examples I have given are directly connected ...not loosely. The loosely connected aspect to it all is in some of Fripp's playing on the early Crimson releases or Gentle Giant where for example they harmonize on the piece "Knots". Band's like Art Zoyd and Univers Zero took the music further than that attempting to arrive closer to the 20th century Avant-Garde mentality.

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 17:25
@Toddler.
Thank you for your extensive answer. I love the Kronos Quartet, I never thought they'd be on PA however. As always, it's hard to figure out what prog really is. Wink
I'll check out Art Zoyd and the others you mentioned.

Posted By: tupan
Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 18:53
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Yes indeed! Big smile

Clap

-------------
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)

Posted By: caretaker
Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 21:12
Oops! Meant to click Allrecipes.

Posted By: Hober Mallow
Date Posted: October 29 2011 at 01:34
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Mostly I'm still here because I'm a pathetic procrastinator, but I do value this place as a means to explore and discover music and communicate with people about music and music related issues.  Like others, I have no one in so-called real life to chat about these kinds of music with. And this is a place where I can be absurd/ inane or acerbic at times and not have to really worry about the consequences.
This is what I'm doing.

-------------
“When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life.” John Kennedy Toole

Posted By: Big Ears
Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 05:09
The answer to life, the universe and everything is:

Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 05:18
And thanks for all the fish

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 05:20
btw, Douglas Adams is the guy who suggested "A momentary leapse of reason" as a title for an album...

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 06:34
Maybe it sounds a bit selfish but I visit PA mostly to learn. The collective of PA members has a huge body of knowledge about the kind of music I like and it's the easiest and cheapest way to learn about new bands, new albums, facts I did not know about bands I thought I knew well...

It helps me to decide which albums I'd like to buy minimising the risk of wasting money in things I will not like, as so frequently happened before the digital age when you bought a lot of LPs based on intuition or because they had a nice cover art, but you got it wrong.

And if now and then I can contribute with my own little knowledge and provide some useful information to another PA member all the better, it makes me feel good, as if I had done my "little good action of the day", helped someone.

As they say, the beauty of knowledge is that it does not behave arithmetically. If I have 100 euro and give them to you, I don't have them anymore, I lost them. But if I know something and I give that knowledge to you, then we both have it, I didn't loose any of it.

I don't have much time to post, but when I can it can be nice just for the fun ot it too!

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 12:45
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Maybe it sounds a bit selfish but I visit PA mostly to learn. The collective of PA members has a huge body of knowledge about the kind of music I like and it's the easiest and cheapest way to learn about new bands, new albums, facts I did not know about bands I thought I knew well...

It helps me to decide which albums I'd like to buy minimising the risk of wasting money in things I will not like, as so frequently happened before the digital age when you bought a lot of LPs based on intuition or because they had a nice cover art, but you got it wrong.

And if now and then I can contribute with my own little knowledge and provide some useful information to another PA member all the better, it makes me feel good, as if I had done my "little good action of the day", helped someone.

As they say, the beauty of knowledge is that it does not behave arithmetically. If I have 100 euro and give them to you, I don't have them anymore, I lost them. But if I know something and I give that knowledge to you, then we both have it, I didn't loose any of it.

I don't have much time to post, but when I can it can be nice just for the fun ot it too!

What an absolutely fantastic, thoughtful, intelligent, and truthful post this is.

Thanks Gerinski - it is posts such as this that reaffirm my faith in the siteClap

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: hobocamp
Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 12:51
Let's just say this is pornography for music lovers and never speak of it again.

Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 13:23

What an absolutely fantastic, thoughtful, intelligent, and truthful post this is.

Thanks Gerinski - it is posts such as this that reaffirm my faith in the siteClap

C'mon don't need to pamper me, you'l make me blush Embarrassed LOL

It's all the people who post and review 1000 times more than me who are to be praised, it's them who altruistically put their knowledge at disposal of all the rest of us in this site.

I think I suck 1000 knowledge units out of this site for each 10 that I put in, so it's a purely self-interested trade Wink

No wait, besides that it's also true that I really enjoy the kindness, ingenuity and humour of most of you out there !

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 13:41
If no one has said this yet, I truly appreciate all the hard work and time that the site administrators, moderators and collaborators put into PA!  

I've learned a LOT about a music form that I thought I was expert in, and learn more every day.  Interacting with many of you (and, *ahem* razzing a few of you) makes it even more worthwhile! 

PARTY!!  I wish I were a 1% guy, I'd throw a bash for the entire crew!   Lear Jets for everyone!!  Pack your bags!

Posted By: Ronnie Pilgrim
Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 14:12
I found this site whilst, sitting on a fence one day, searching for fellow "A Passion Play" enthusiasts. I'm still quite surprised that it has so few of them. One of those "had to be there" moments in prog, I guess. Still, the other discussions can be interesting; and on the whole I am less impressed with the Jethro Tull discography than those of King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, Rush, or even the sophomoric Pink Floyd. So it is not fanboy-ism, or nostalgia, or even a common bond with other members that intrigues me about dropping in from time to time. Some members share my sense of humor, some my taste in music, and some my fondness for BEER!  But I think the premise of the thread is questionable - where is the evidence that this site is more engaging than other music genre-specific sites to their members?

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 16:17
^I am 'opping mad at this sort of talk.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 18:27
Originally posted by Ronnie Pilgrim Ronnie Pilgrim wrote:

I found this site whilst, sitting on a fence one day, searching for fellow "A Passion Play" enthusiasts. I'm still quite surprised that it has so few of them. One of those "had to be there" moments in prog, I guess. Still, the other discussions can be interesting; and on the whole I am less impressed with the Jethro Tull discography than those of King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, Rush, or even the sophomoric Pink Floyd. So it is not fanboy-ism, or nostalgia, or even a common bond with other members that intrigues me about dropping in from time to time. Some members share my sense of humor, some my taste in music, and some my fondness for BEER!  But I think the premise of the thread is questionable - where is the evidence that this site is more engaging than other music genre-specific sites to their members?

I suspect your inference about the premise of the thread has to be questionable. Atavachron's OP does not claim that PA is more engaging than other genre specific music sites. One of the chattiest and most active were the extent of his claims. Time to come down from that fence Pilgrim.Wink

-------------

Posted By: bensommer
Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 19:25

What do you think..?

Something about obscurity unites!

P.s. If by Atavachron you mean Alan Holdsworth's album - my absolute FAVORITE

-------------
http://bensommermusic.com" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Ronnie Pilgrim
Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 19:28
Congratulations my ever-departing rodent! You've made Forum and Site Admin Group since I first complimented your avatar. You questioned my post with wit and aplomb. More engaging is indeed a bit of a stretch. Well moderated my friend! 

Posted By: -Radioswim-
Date Posted: November 21 2011 at 10:20

My experience on metal-archives was quite similar...a loyal following, with more and more new members being added too.   In metal, it is the sense of a metal culture and lifestyle which even, for its diehard followers, transcends music that brings people together. In prog, it's probably the fact that it is hard to find others whom you can talk to about some of your favourite music. Tongue One of the striking features for me on this forum is it is so easy to agree to disagree. I have seen, and participated in, long discussions with the participants not in agreement but still seeing fit to discuss. On most internet forums that I have been on, disagreements threaten to balloon and swing out of control but progheads are like economists in that regard.

This reminds me of a lonely toned facebook status update of my just hours ago (and why I logged in today)
"This music is great, but could be awesome with someone to share it with"

God meant for us to share things, and with no one to share prog with, even the most sacred of musical passages are left improperly sung. This is precisely why I come here, It's just so empty without all of you Cry

-------------

Dust in the Kitchen

Posted By: fuyuakiworld
Date Posted: December 25 2011 at 04:40
Prog tends to attract who I like to call Nerds. DO NOT BE OFFENDED. I take pride in being a nerd as I define "nerd" as someone who can get excited or obsessive about something. And the reason why PA is so active is because it's full of Awesome, Obsessive Nerds.

-------------
Would you like prog with that?
Love without anger isn't love at all.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk