Print Page | Close Window

Asia Vs A

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82019
Printed Date: April 17 2024 at 18:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Asia Vs A
Posted By: Svetonio
Subject: Asia Vs A
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:04

Replies:
Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:08
Asia.

Tull's A is a good album, originally designed as a Anderson solo vehicle. Asia's debut is fantastic.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:46
I voted for A, which is an inventive album and very unusual in the annals of Tull.  Eddie Jobson could have become another foil for Ian Anderson, along with Martin Barre, which may have been why he did not stay with the group (also, I believe this was always intended as a one-off).  Jobson added a dimension to Tull not found anywhere else.  Ansderson's songwriting is as good as ever.  Asia, on the other hand, is an album which defines 80s arena rock and ultimately has much broader influence.  This is not a detraction in any way.  It's  just that, as the poll questions, I prefer A.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:49
I agree with Lazland totally

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 14:37
It was the heat of the vomit.

Never even had the Nausia on LP.  The Tull on the other hand, aaaaaaa.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: frippism
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 15:16
eww

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 15:44
Asia's debut is actually pretty good taken on its own terms - and it stands up pretty well compared with many other albums of a similar vintage.

A is an album of similar vintage. It was pretty unimpressive then and time hasn't done it any favours.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:19
I really like Tull's A  they have other albums that are much better of course, but I still like it

Asia's debut is not terrible as a pop album but I like  the Tull album better

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:41
Asia by far.......I did not have the vinyl (need to find it in the used bins next trip).....I had the cassette tape, wore it out, I think I still have it.
The Tull's A is just okAAAA.......but very forgettable.

-------------

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 17:48
Asia

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: patday34
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 19:03
A

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 23:05
I don't care for A at all. But you've put it up against an album I care for even less.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: November 13 2011 at 10:18
I've never understood the love for "A" - it's even been reissued in deluxe, two disc format.  I thought it was the end of the classic Tull, well, Stormwatch was the first step and "A" the final full stop.  Just the sound of record - so "unTully".

Asia also marked the end of an era - that record, 90210 and abacab.  Prog gone pop and though all involved have tried to return to their classic sounds, it just comes across as hollow.  IMO, the best Howe since Drama has been the trio jazzy music he's been playing with his son on drums (he sounds like a young Bruford!).

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: November 13 2011 at 10:20
Asia. Love it.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 13 2011 at 11:49
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

I've never understood the love for "A" - it's even been reissued in deluxe, two disc format.  I thought it was the end of the classic Tull, well, Stormwatch was the first step and "A" the final full stop.  Just the sound of record - so "unTully".

Asia also marked the end of an era - that record, 90210 and abacab.  Prog gone pop and though all involved have tried to return to their classic sounds, it just comes across as hollow.  IMO, the best Howe since Drama has been the trio jazzy music he's been playing with his son on drums (he sounds like a young Bruford!).

To be fair, it was supposed to be an Anderson solo release until the record company made him release it under the Tull banner.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: November 14 2011 at 10:03
Asia's debut is pretty great.  It helps to have been 12 when it came out.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: November 14 2011 at 17:34
Def. chose `Asia's debut!

I was shocked to find that it's very decent, especially after reading so many negative things about it! A couple of the tracks have some especially great intros!

Mind you, if I never heard `Heat Of The Moment' again, I'd be very happy!

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: November 14 2011 at 17:52
Tull for me. Not a particularly great album, but okay. Can't stand Asia.

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: November 14 2011 at 22:05
^^ Pretty much the same for me.
A was one of the first Tull albums I bought before I heard anything negative about it, so approaching it objectively I actually liked it a lot. It didn't age with me very well since, but it's still miles better than anything by Asia.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: Proggernaut
Date Posted: November 15 2011 at 00:47
Asia - wow, I have that on vinyl somewhere....

-------------
Proggernaut (Noun) - one who is exploring the endlessly expanding universe of progressive music.

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: November 15 2011 at 03:43
I should not be voting here as I have not heard much from the Asia album. But it does have "Heat of the Moment" on it which is a "fingers down the throat" sort of composition, aimed directly at an AOR audience. Having heard that shocker on the radio friendly airwaves I immediately shelved the idea of purchasing the album.

I have previously voted "A "a five star album. Anderson went out on a limb and created an album for the '80s.  I love "A" ..it's in my top 5 of all time Tull albums..very underated and much maligned but it is brilliant...... IMHO.

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: November 15 2011 at 04:08
Originally posted by Proggernaut Proggernaut wrote:

Asia - wow, I have that on vinyl somewhere....

Me too, I have their first two albums just for the artworkTongue

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: November 19 2011 at 00:03
Yea Asia.  I wish JT would have had a better album on that one though.

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: November 27 2011 at 04:17
I just remembered a few facts that co-incidently links Asia (more particularly John Wetton) and the "A" album by Tull.

In 1980 (the same year as "A" was released) Wetton released a solo album called "Caught in The Crossfire". On the album Martin Barre plays on 3 tracks. The first song on the "A' album is titled "Caught in The Crossfire"!  Just co-incidence?????

Wetton then played on WIshbone Ash's "Number The Brave" album and did a brilliant job......I always felt that he was hardly done by in his short stint with Wishbone Ash. I feel he would have added more to WA than he did with Asia. I believe Andy Powell and Laurie Wisefield didn't accept Wetton contributing to the songwriting nor the vocals even though Wetton was superior at both to the twin lead guitarists.

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: November 27 2011 at 04:39

even the worst JT album is better than the best Asia album.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: 7headedchicken
Date Posted: November 30 2011 at 13:01
A

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk