Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82044
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 04:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ESP (European Symphonics Poll)
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Subject: ESP (European Symphonics Poll)
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 15:50
Aside from a large number of psychedelic bands, it was mostly symphonic acts that once drew me in to this mystical world called prog.
I love Genesis, Yes, Focus and much of the usual suspects, but as one gets more and more hooked - the music suddenly introduces you to countries you´d never heard a musical pip from before. So, I thought a poll investigating some of the more obscure symphonic albums out there would be in order.
10 albums from 10 different countries, and don´t worry if you aren´t familiar with all of them, like all my polls, this is more about opening up to the music outside of the top lists. I´ve posted a vid for every album, so you´re also quite welcome to vote on the basis of that one track. Everything goes.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Replies:
Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 15:59
No Collegium Musicum or Sfinx? :(

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:04
voted Atlas

also love
Finch
Jose Cid
Solaris

not as crazy about
Grobschnitt
Aphrodite's child

need to check out
Atila
Asia Minor
Pulsar

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:12
It's between Germany and Greece.
I think Greece needs a little love these days so 666 it is.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:13
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

No Collegium Musicum or Sfinx? :(

Sadly no Alex. I´ve yet to hear those artists. The first one is on my list. I think I read a review here made by Marty some time ago, and I´ve wanted it ever since. And lets face it, I could have made 25 options, but I wanted to do the YouTube clips as well. I think it´s a pretty cool way to introduce people to some new stuff, without being a pain about it. This way they can choose to push play or not, and if I´d posted 25 of those- I just might´ve occupied all of the first pageLOL

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:15
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

voted Atlas

also love
Finch
Jose Cid
Solaris

not as crazy about
Grobschnitt
Aphrodite's child

need to check out
Atila
Asia Minor
Pulsar

Atila and Pulsar are both bands which mix up the symphonic style with psych. I strongly recommend both, and they are in fact two of my top contenders in this poll.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:18
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

It's between Germany and Greece.
I think Greece needs a little love these days so 666 it is.

I hear you John. They need all the love we can musterHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:29

For Sfinx, there are three samples from the album "Zalmoxe" on their PA page if I'm not wrong.

Thumbs Up

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:41
I miss...
I think this one beats all your mentioned options.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:42
Cicatriz

Posted By: PabstRibbon
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:47
I always loved Atlas so they get my vote here ( Solaris and Finch follows )

Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:51
^^^^I really like that track! Talk about organ wizardryWacko Thanks for posting this vid.

Regarding the poll. I urge everybody who´s into majestic and grandiose music to listen to Reverberations by The Enid. I just might like this album from them more than Region of summer stars. This is certainly my fave track from them/him. Goosebumps City for sure. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:52
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

I miss...
I think this one beats all your mentioned options.

Did you hear all of them?

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:59
Of course.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 17:04
Although I probably haven't heard quite enough of those to vote, I don't like seeing Grobschnitt with no votes.  Great album.

Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 17:15
Sounds pretty good that track Gandalf. Thanks.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: emkogceo
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 18:47
Asia Minor for me, narrowly beating out Finch.

-------------
www.emkog.com

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 17 2011 at 19:37
What albums I do know quite well in this poll I haven't heard for too long a time. Off the top of my
head I would say the Atlas from those I do know, but when I get the chance, which won't be today, I will listen to all of the tracks and vote based on those. Love the way you approach these polls, by the way.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 01:59

Aphrodites Child - 666

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 02:48

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Sounds pretty good that track Gandalf. Thanks.

That's unfortunately only one Symphonic Rock artist from my country appearing on this site. In addition, he recorded only two albums. But he's truly excellent!

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5582" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5582

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 06:28
Finch is the bee's knees.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 06:56
Home sweet home

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 07:14
Pulsar, because I was about to review this one Smile

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 11:13
Aphrodite's Child, closely followed by Solaris.

Don't care about most of the rest, specially Jose Cid, a pop singer who plays keyboards.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 11:48
I voted for 666 followed by Grobschnitt.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 13:53
It would be a lie not to vote for 666 which I consider to be in a league of its own here, but I am also quite fond of those Atlas, Grobschnitt and Atila albums

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 14:14
What will be the next? ASP (American, African, Australian or Asian) Symphonics poll? How luck there is no Prog in Antarctica.LOL

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 14:15
Why not ISP for Raga-Symphonic ?

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:39
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Aphrodite's Child, closely followed by Solaris.

Don't care about most of the rest, specially Jose Cid, a pop singer who plays keyboards.

Iván

Hey Iván.
You should check out Jose Cid´s former band Quarteto 1111 and their album Onde, Quando....., which IMO is a better album, and far more "natural" sounding. The pop sensibilities along with the funk and disco of Cid are not yet developed on this record. 
I gather you´re quite the symph connoisseur, and this particular album is a real treat. The only reason I didn´t choose it for the poll, was that 10.000 anos seems to be the most celebrated of his works, and this one is very obscure outside Portugal methinks. If you´re interested in hearing Quarteto then have a listen to this:

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:40
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

What will be the next? ASP (American, African, Australian or Asian) Symphonics poll? How luck there is no Prog in Antarctica.LOL

What, you haven´t heard of The Proggy PenguinsShocked

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:46
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Finch is the bee's knees.

I agree. I love Finch too, but in all honesty I´m pretty astounded to see them leading this poll.
Would have thought 666 or Grobschnitt would have dominated, but what do I knowLOL
Be sure to check out their sophomore release as wellWink

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:54
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hey Iván.
You should check out Jose Cid´s former band Quarteto 1111 and their album Onde, Quando....., which IMO is a better album, and far more "natural" sounding. The pop sensibilities along with the funk and disco of Cid are not yet developed on this record. 
I gather you´re quite the symph connoisseur, and this particular album is a real treat. The only reason I didn´t choose it for the poll, was that 10.000 anos seems to be the most celebrated of his works, and this one is very obscure outside Portugal methinks. If you´re interested in hearing Quarteto then have a listen to this:

That was pretty nice.

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:59
^Now we´re even AlexLOL

I need that Collegium Musicum album bad...

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: seventhsojourn
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 05:45
Really nice poll!  Unfortunately Quarteto and Finch are hard to find on CD and usually at an inflated price... maybe somebody like Esoteric will re-issue Finch. Here's hoping. A big ''thank you'' for reminding me about Pulsar though, just waiting for their first three albums from Amazon now. Handshake 

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 06:09
^Thanks Chris!

You should try some of those second hand sales, if you´re not too squeamish about used copies. I´ve bought a lot of records this way, either through a magnificent Danish shop called Accord, that has everything spanning from polka to prog, or some of those online sales. About a year and a half ago, I acquired some 30 albums from South America, Spain and Portugal. This was just a guy that was selling them online, though he insisted on me buying them all, if I was interested... No matter though, as I only got 2 albums I already had in advance. That year my best friend got a terrific birthday gift consisting of Bacamarte - Depois do Film and Bubu - AnabelasLOL  

You´re in for a treat regarding Pulsar, and apart from their debut that sounds like it´s recorded from behind a wall of marshmallows, they just sound brilliant. From reading your reviews, you should enjoy Halloween immenselyThumbs Up 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk