Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82057
Printed Date: October 20 2018 at 18:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Post 70's Prog World Cup: Radiohead- Phideaux
Posted By: Morningrise
Subject: Post 70's Prog World Cup: Radiohead- Phideaux
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 07:32
Pick your favorite. And please don't start with the annoying "Radiohead are not prog". You voters were the ones that decided they reach this far on the competition.

World Cup so far:

Deadline for this poll: October 21st

Replies:
Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 08:25
Thousands of bands copied their sound from The Bends and OK Computer, but Radiohead chose to be artists and went on to create two totally unique albums which is Kid A & Amnesiac (good luck with copiyng that Coldplay/Keane/Travis/Muse and the rest of all you dullards). That they've somehow continued to stay within the mainstream, get airplay and sell millions of albums and concert tickets is more or less a miracle.

Phideaux.. huh? I don't mind them or anything, but its just another rock band.

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 08:41
Radiohead here. 

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 08:45
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Radiohead here. 

Yup.

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 08:52
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Radiohead here. 

Yup.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 08:55
Phideaux is easily one of the most talented of latter day prog artists/bands.  Radiohead leaves me kind of cold, so this was an easy choice for me. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 08:58
Radiohead!

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 09:10
Radiohead for me

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 09:23
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Pick your favorite. And please don't start with the annoying "Radiohead are not prog". You voters were the ones that decided they reach this far on the competition.

Hey,if Santana made in this forum, why not Radiohead?

Posted By: DanthraX
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 09:39
"Phideaux.. huh? I don't mind them or anything, but its just another rock band"

Not sure if sarcasm or trolling or real opinion...

-------------
I look up, I'm almost blinded
by the warmth of what's inside me
and the taste that's in my soul,
but I'm dead inside as I stand alone...

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 10:16
Phideaux. Radiohead I find quite boring ...

Posted By: Atoms
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 10:18
wow, Phideaux is actually leading. I can't say that I'm a big fan of them. But, they have made enjoyable albums while I really can't enjoy anything that radiohead has done. And, tbh, I might seem like a hater for writing this, but I'd happily see Radiohead fall out of the competition.

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 10:37
Originally posted by DanthraX DanthraX wrote:

My opinion is that (although prog rock) Phideaux sounds like lots of rock music I've heard before. While Radiohead, like the prog of the late 60's early 70's brought us something people hadn't actually heard before. How is that trolling or even sarcasm? It was not even meant to be particulary insulting.

-------------

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 10:46
If this was 10 years ago Radiohead. It isn't - this poll is now :)

Phideaux by an unspecified distance...

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 10:48
both are... meh for me so im not voting
I do expect this to be an interesting poll though you have one retro band and one band thats highly controvercial, this should get heated!!!

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 10:51
Definitely Phideaux. I consider Radiohead to be the most overrated band of all time.

-------------

Posted By: Harold-The-Barrel
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 11:16
Phideaux for me, just never got the love people have for RadioheadThumbs Down

-------------
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 11:37
Radiohead from what I know, but I don't know Phideaux well enough to vote fairly.

Posted By: Link28
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 11:49
Radiohead is a good alt. rock band with prog elements while Phideaux is definitely one of the best bands nowadays. Therefore, Phideaux would have my vote (unfortunately, I cannot vote in poles). 

-------------
"And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make." (Lennon/McCartney)

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 12:01
I've been listening to music of both on youtube since I don't know either really well, but I can say that while I can enjoy Phideaux (though it generally sounds rather too derivativeto me, but accomplished), I am much preferring Radiohead.

Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 12:03
Thom Yorke and the Radioheads

-------------
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 12:06
Both have always been meh to me, but Radiohead is the more interesting and less cheesy of the two.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 12:07
Hmm. I like ONE instrumental song from ONE Phideaux album (that eternal ice instrumental), and Radiohead's dual crack of OK Computer and Kid A has touched me for quite some time, two of my favorite albums. Granted I've only heard a couple Phiddy albums, I can't say I give a damn about what I've heard - good and rousing, but kind of faceless.

EDIT: His singing always reminds me of what it'd be like if Weird Al impersonated Peter from Van Der Graaf Generator.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 12:20
I dont like Radiohead but I do like Phideaux.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 12:54
I thought The Bends & OK Computer werr exceptional albums. I also thought Kid A was a breath of fresh air, really progressive in its approach. However, I admit to having gotten extremely tired of albums since then, whilst I regard Phideaux as a great modern symphonic wonder.

A long winded way of saying that Radiohead would once have got my vote, but no longer. 

-------------

In Lazland, life is transient. Prog is permanent.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 13:17
Phideaux has made some wonderful music and gets my vote.

I honestly can't think of anything Radiohead has done that I would listen to twice. And they're just an alternative rock band, definitely not prog (not even slightly), though that doesn't affect my vote

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 13:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I've been listening to music of both on youtube since I don't know either really well, but I can say that while I can enjoy Phideaux (though it generally sounds rather too derivativeto me, but accomplished), I am much preferring Radiohead.

If you ever have 45 or 90 minutes to spare, I think you could do worse than spending them on checking out the peak period of a stadiumfilling alt. rock band band that got sick of themselves and took inspiration from kraut, kosmishe, new technology + different avantgarde composers and presented it to the mainstream. 

There's some straightforward rock (still not the generic kind) here as well, but there's larger quantities of experiments with atmosphere, percussion, space and electronics. I notice I'm making Radiohead sound more out there and abstract than it actually is, they never let go of their pop-sensibilities.

Bonuses: B-sides from the Pyramid Song EP

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 14:17
By coincidence I've been listening to Phideaux all the day. I don't think I'll ever do the same with Radiohead.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.

Posted By: DanthraX
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 14:33
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by DanthraX DanthraX wrote:

My opinion is that (although prog rock) Phideaux sounds like lots of rock music I've heard before. While Radiohead, like the prog of the late 60's early 70's brought us something people hadn't actually heard before. How is that trolling or even sarcasm? It was not even meant to be particulary insulting.

Sorry, I understand your point now, is just that saying "another rock band" doesn't fit in my mind when I think in Phideaux's music, so I really thought maybe you were joking... 

-------------
I look up, I'm almost blinded
by the warmth of what's inside me
and the taste that's in my soul,
but I'm dead inside as I stand alone...

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 14:33
Phideaux is quite boring in my opinion, and like the other poster - is just another band.
Even if it's true that Radiohead is overrated, they are still miles past the guy.
Sorry.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 14:39
Phideaux easily

not crazy about Radiohead

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 14:45
Phideaux by light years Wink

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 14:51
And Phideaux takes a commanding lead.  Clap

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 14:58
I like Phideaux, but I love Radiohead.  I'm actually very surprised to Phideaux winning by 10

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:07
Radiohead, no hesitation.

-------------

http://www.last.fm/user/GordonComstock" rel="nofollow - "For me, music and life are all about style.” Miles Davis(last.fm)

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:25
I have a lot of respect for Radiohead, and I love Kid A - especially The Pyramid Song, - but my vote goes to Phideaux for Chupacapras, Doom and 7. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 18:39
I got into Radiohead thanks to Steven Wilson putting in a good word on the PT website.  About a year later I tried Phideaux thanks to hearing the good word on this site and trying some samples.  Phideaux's running about 15% ahead right now.  That works for me. I'll give the heads 13 points off for most of their first album and two for some of their second.  I haven't had a Phideaux that I didn't like the whole thing.

-------------

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 18:45
Hm... fans of both, although I'm not a massive fan of either. Both very, very good acts. However, I love to listen to Phideaux's albums through and through while with Radiohead I find it more enjoyable either to listen in pieces or pick certain songs. So, Phideaux for me this time. 

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 19:10
I like them both but overall I like Phideaux better. Their last three albums were stunning!!! I liked Radiohead up to OK Computer but they lost me after that.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 02:09
Love both of them, but Phideaux much more!

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 08:08
It's got to be Phideaux, so many great albums from the guy and his band.

I really like some Radiohead but Thom Yorke's voice is a nightmare that even I find difficult to overcome.  Instrumentally they can be great but the vocals are a real struggle for me.

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 12:07
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

If you ever have 45 or 90 minutes to spare, I think you could do worse than spending them on checking out the peak period of a stadiumfilling alt. rock band band that got sick of themselves and took inspiration from kraut, kosmishe, new technology + different avantgarde composers and presented it to the mainstream. 

There's some straightforward rock (still not the generic kind) here as well, but there's larger quantities of experiments with atmosphere, percussion, space and electronics. I notice I'm making Radiohead sound more out there and abstract than it actually is, they never let go of their pop-sensibilities.

Bonuses: B-sides from the Pyramid Song EP

Thanks, I have only listened to the first one you posted so far (Kid A) and I did like it.  A very interesting background/ on the band you provide.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 12:51
Well this is disappointing.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:08
Phideaux by FAR

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:10
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

As was the Kayo Dot one.

Whilst Radiohead has been a very successful band with mainstream success, the generally much less known Phideaux is likely to appeal considerably more, generally, to the mainstream Prog rocker. I do find it rather a shame that most here, apparently, don't appreciate much experimentation; prefer vanilla music.  A lot of proggers don't step out much from a narrow comfort zone and prefer music that plays it safe and meets their typical expectations.

I might have expected a more progressive mindset from people into progressive rock at one time, but not for a long time.

Of course it doesn't mean that various people who choose Phideaux aren't into experimentation and more experimental forms of music, or alternative music.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:14
I like Radiohead--although their over the top conceit (like Fripps) is a turn off---they want to believe they are so original--and they have created a good sound---but I hear Alice in Chains, Laurie Anderson and a million other influences in their music ---maybe I'm being too critical but seeing them recently on Colbert ---their hipster image was pretentious. 

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:18
Neither Phideaux nor Radiohead are that original, but I'm enjoying the way that Radiohead has incorporated their influences more (and it has influences that I'm more into). And, just cause you mentioned her, I love Laurie Anderson's Big Science.

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:31
Again, Phideaux sounds like Weird Al. Doesn't anybody else hear the silly, inconsequentially nasally singing? Makes me want to slug him in the face.

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:33
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Again, Phideaux sounds like Weird Al. Doesn't anybody else hear the silly, inconsequentially nasally singing? Makes me want to slug him in the face.

Speaking of slugging in the face, it looks like Phideaux is giving Radiohead a right a**-whipping.  Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:45
As if this inane popularity poll matters a bit. :P

Phideaux's music just doesn't seem...err...and this is highly subjective...important to me. It's like the guy playing and wrting the songs isn't out to make important, special, meaningful, or idiosyncratic music. His personality is merely a mirror of his influences.

But with Radiohead, they took their influences and injected their own personality into it. And goddamn, Thom Yorke beats the pants offa his nasally, non-resonant stuff. I'm no fan of any band, but Kid A and OK Computer have touched my heart. When I hear something like Windeath Softstar it just seems silly, unimportant, unenlightened, and emotionally ignorant when I compare it to the harrowing, spirit-crushing 'How to Disappear Completely', or the oppressive, trip-shock of 'Idioteque'. Or when I jump around with The Dance of Eternal Ice, it just seems limp and trivial compared to the triple-wash intricacy of 'Paranoid Android'.

To me, a band like Phideaux just seems dumb and kitschy - full of silly long songs that don't go anywhere. But bands like Radiohead aren't interested in all that. They'll make three songs and put them into the running time of one. Phideaux will take one song and stretch it out obnoxiously into the length of three. Just seems to me that Phideaux's heart isn't in making art or magic - just playing the same old bullsh*t we've heard for forty f**k years. Why should I waste my time with just another prog rock band, when I could be listening to songs that make me cry, weep, and think? Why, when I can just as easily listen to music that is more thematic, more congruous, less long-winded, more concise, and less repetitive? 

I don't have any major problem with the band other than the almost jarringly derivative manner in which he conducts himself (oh and the sh*tty, heartless singing). He falls under the 'neat' category - not important, not deep or heartbreaking, not extremely resonant and life-shattering. When I feel sick in my heart of hearts and the darkness of life seeps into me, when I am having an anxiety attack and crying myself to sleep, do you really think I'd play something as trivial as Doomsday Afternoon to make myself feel better? Hell naw, it'll be Kid A or Rain Dogs or Songs in the Key of Life or Dark Side of the Moon or Dirt. 

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:51

As was the Kayo Dot one.

Whilst Radiohead has been a very successful band with mainstream success, the generally much less known Phideaux is likely to appeal considerably more, generally, to the mainstream Prog rocker. I do find it rather a shame that most here, apparently, don't appreciate much experimentation; prefer vanilla music.  A lot of proggers don't step out much from a narrow comfort zone and prefer music that plays it safe and meets their typical expectations.

I might have expected a more progressive mindset from people into progressive rock at one time, but not for a long time.

Of course it doesn't mean that various people who choose Phideaux aren't into experimentation and more experimental forms of music, or alternative music.

I think that a lot of this is very true, and hits the mark as far as the majority of prog fans are concerned.

The fact is that Phideaux is a "traditional" symphonic prog artist, and that, I would venture to suggest, creates music that is closer to the hearts of most of the visitors to this site. If Radiohead had either ceased at OK Computer, or made similar albums, then they would probably have won hands down. As it is, their more experimental stuff has clearly alienated a lot of prog fans who like it symphonic and bombastic.

All this written as someone who voted for Phideaux and who loves his prog symphonic and bombastic!!LOL

-------------

In Lazland, life is transient. Prog is permanent.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:57
They know who Radiohead is on The Big Bang Theory. 

I prefer Coldplay over Radiohead though, and both remind me of U2.  I can't say that I consider them to be anything more than mildly what I would consider to be progressive rock.  Phideaux may be retro or derivative, but they have the sound that draws me to progressive rock.

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 14:01

Phideaux's music just doesn't seem...err...and this is highly subjective...important to me. It's like the guy playing and wrting the songs isn't out to make important, special, meaningful, or idiosyncratic music. His personality is merely a mirror of his influences.

But with Radiohead, they took their influences and injected their own personality into it. And goddamn, Thom Yorke beats the pants offa his nasally, non-resonant stuff. I'm no fan of any band, but Kid A and OK Computer have touched my heart. When I hear something like Windeath Softstar it just seems silly, unimportant, unenlightened, and emotionally ignorant when I compare it to the harrowing, spirit-crushing 'How to Disappear Completely', or the oppressive, trip-shock of 'Idioteque'. Or when I jump around with The Dance of Eternal Ice, it just seems limp and trivial compared to the triple-wash intricacy of 'Paranoid Android'.

To me, a band like Phideaux just seems dumb and kitschy - full of silly long songs that don't go anywhere. But bands like Radiohead aren't interested in all that. They'll make three songs and put them into the running time of one. Phideaux will take one song and stretch it out obnoxiously into the length of three. Just seems to me that Phideaux's heart isn't in making art or magic - just playing the same old bullsh*t we've heard for forty f**k years. Why should I waste my time with just another prog rock band, when I could be listening to songs that make me cry, weep, and think? Why, when I can just as easily listen to music that is more thematic, more congruous, less long-winded, more concise, and less repetitive? 

I don't have any major problem with the band other than the almost jarringly derivative manner in which he conducts himself (oh and the sh*tty, heartless singing). He falls under the 'neat' category - not important, not deep or heartbreaking, not extremely resonant and life-shattering. When I feel sick in my heart of hearts and the darkness of life seeps into me, when I am having an anxiety attack and crying myself to sleep, do you really think I'd play something as trivial as Doomsday Afternoon to make myself feel better? Hell naw, it'll be Kid A or Rain Dogs or Songs in the Key of Life or Dark Side of the Moon or Dirt. 

Moshkito, is that you?

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 14:04
Who is Moshkito? I'm Dustin. :P

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 14:49
I enjoy plenty of experimentation; I just do not like Radiohead.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 14:58
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Moshkito, is that you?

LOL

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a ten year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 15:17
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Moshkito, is that you?

LOL

The first line could be, but after that it's missing far ... too ... many ellipses....

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

As was the Kayo Dot one.

I think that a lot of this is very true, and hits the mark as far as the majority of prog fans are concerned.

The fact is that Phideaux is a "traditional" symphonic prog artist, and that, I would venture to suggest, creates music that is closer to the hearts of most of the visitors to this site. If Radiohead had either ceased at OK Computer, or made similar albums, then they would probably have won hands down. As it is, their more experimental stuff has clearly alienated a lot of prog fans who like it symphonic and bombastic.

All this written as someone who voted for Phideaux and who loves his prog symphonic and bombastic!!LOL

Nothing of substance to add, but I was once more of a traditional prog fan myself, and really liked bombastic symph, but my tastes shifted.  I can't say I'm that big on Radiohead yet, but just getting to know them pretty well now thanks to the youtube clips above... I did like this song very much off In Rainbows.

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 16:15

Who is Moshkito? I'm Dustin. :P

Great that long post of yours. Very close to how I feel. Not at all resembling Moshkito.

-------------

Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 18:28
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I prefer Coldplay over Radiohead though, and both remind me of U2. 
HAHAHAHAHAHA

-------------
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 18:31
Radiohead by a large margin

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 19:50
I like Phideaux well enough but Radiohead are many steps ahead for me, love everything from OKC onward.

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 21:03
Like Phideaux, but Love Radiohead.

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 21:46
Radiohead.

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 23:08
A Diehard Axe Hid Up?  Pariah Axe Dude Hid.

-------------

Posted By: frippism
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 00:21
C'mon, Radiohead but of course. I'm kinda shocked to see them lose this badly.

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 05:20
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

C'mon, Radiohead but of course. I'm kinda shocked to see them lose this badly.

Me too, but not really. Atleast they're "winning" by a far margin in the real world (so does a lot of crap, It doesn't prove anything, I know).

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 07:20
Last day to vote.

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 13:01
I'm pretty shocked at this result too, but I was told firmly last couple of polls that the vote is for our favourite band. Not, like I thought, the best. Hence the loss of several amazing bands already. You'll get over it Radiohead fans, my top three are already out to boring retro prog.

Posted By: Thandrus
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 13:04
I'd pick Phideaux, because I don't think Radiohead have made as many masterpieces in a row.

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 13:39
Yes it's just a popularity contest. Shows you how much acceptance Radiohead has in the prog world, with a very somewhat-obscure band beating them.

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:01
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Yes it's just a popularity contest. Shows you how much acceptance Radiohead has in the prog world, with a very somewhat-obscure band beating them.

Phideaux, an obscure band?

Maybe outside this site, where even King Crimson is obscure.  But not on PA. Just look at the album ratings of 2011. Just four albums with more than 300 ratings. One of them is Snowtorch, which is the 2nd most rated album of the year, only behind A Dramatic Turn Of Events by DT.

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:20

Maybe outside this site, where even King Crimson is obscure.  But not on PA. Just look at the album ratings of 2011. Just four albums with more than 300 ratings. One of them is Snowtorch, which is the 2nd most rated album of the year, only behind A Dramatic Turn Of Events by DT.

I figured he meant outside this site, and similar communities.  King Crimson is, of course, way better known in the general  music world than Phideaux.  Additionally, I would reckon that far, far more of the people registered at PA  know music of King Crimson than Phideaux, and know the name.

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:27

I figured he meant outside this site, and similar communities.  King Crimson is, of course, way better known in the general  music world than Phideaux.  Additionally, I would reckon that far, far more of the people registered at PA  know music of King Crimson than Phideaux, and know the name.

What Logan said.

I know on other music forums, where prog music is discussed, Phideaux do not seem well known.

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:39
My bad, then.

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:40
It's all good

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:43

Phideaux is a member of PA who posts from time to time on the site.  If Thom Yorke posted on the site maybe Radiohead would get more votes.

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:50
i saw him logged in a couple of days ago, I wonder if he voted in this poll. ;)

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:55
probably

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 16:25

i saw him logged in a couple of days ago, I wonder if he voted in this poll. ;)

If I was him, I would certainly think I was better than Radiohead. Wink

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 16:32
I'd say Phideaux is very well known for a prog band. I didn't know this, but they seem to have quite a following: almost thirty three thousand listeners on last.fm, and almost eight hundred thousand listens. 

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 16:45
Oh wow, really? I underestimated their popularity.

Still I'd say they're relatively unknown compared to Radiohead

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 16:51

Oh wow, really? I underestimated their popularity.

Still I'd say they're relatively unknown compared to Radiohead

Obviously. Everyone thinks Radiohead is the bee's knees.

-------------

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 20:44
I loved Radiohead up to OK Computer, but I found the albums after that dull and boring

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Siloportem
Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 02:50
Regarding Phideaux' fame:

It all depends on the source. A dutch progsite (www.progwereld.org) seems to like them/him a lot.
But I think classic rock: presents prog didn't even review Snowtorch.

I think Gazpacho is a similar case.

Voted for Phideaux by the way.

-------------
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.

Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 07:19
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

I loved Radiohead up to OK Computer, but I found the albums after that dull and boring
Maybe I actually like Radiohead to the extent that I do because I find "boring" music interesting. LOL
I see the margin is now at 13 points...

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 07:38
Poll's over.

Final Score: Phideaux 51- Radiohead 39

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk