http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Jack_Bruce-1972.jpg

John Entwistle
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/John_Entwisle.jpg

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 09:54
nobody cares for bass players Cry

in sure if this was a Pete Townsend vs Eric Clapton or Ginger Baker vs Keith Moon it would have had 1000 views by now, which leads me to some tasks to doo,

-------------

Posted By: giovanni natoli
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 09:58
i CARE about bass players!!! Though i'm a drummer i'm very interested. For my taste nobody in rock is better then Jack Bruce, he had made a work of superior quality for his instrument, strong of his jazz background.

-------------
Have a little faith

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 10:46
The Ox tramples over Bruce sorry.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 10:50
i don't think so, Bruce was technically and musically better more avant grade musician then Enthwistle

-------------
Have a little faith

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 10:52
Disagree about everything you posted sorry.
It's just a difference in tastes.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 11:00
i think it's impossible to change the background of an artist; obviously is a matter of taste. But i think about the role of the two players. The Ox, who was a great rock bass player, graduate in french horn, made strong linear bass structures for the great Who. Bruce made the bass as a soloist in the trio formula, with a great work of phrasing and interplay with Clapton and Baker. He was also (he his, sorry, it's still alive) a player and simoultaneously a singer; he is able to sing and play intricate and improvisate bass voicing and phrasing. As a composer Bruce made some good things and a great album "Songs for a taylor", he works with john mclaughlin and tony williams and larry young in a fusion contestSincerely i didn't hear anything of that in Entwisthle work....that's why I think Bruce is better. 

-------------
Have a little faith

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 11:07
Mine is just a storic perspective and a valuation about careers. For the taste, evreyone is free

-------------
Have a little faith

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 11:26
Historic, not storic, sorry

-------------
Have a little faith

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 11:58

The Quiet one by leaps and bounds

-------------

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 06:31
The OX. He may not have been as innovative, but what he brought to The Who was amazing. His work on Quadrophenia is simply amazing.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 06:50
Both were hugely influential throughout a number of musical styles beyond the rock, blues and fusion within which they forged their reputations. It's doubtful there's anyone on PA who can qualify which one is 'best' or 'most skilled' and all we can do is express our preferences by revealing our tastes etc

Jack Bruce, a fellow Glaswegian, went to the same school as me. (but I never met him as he's an even older fart than me)

-------------

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 16:31

Entwistle for sure. Jack Bruce is good too but I've never been overly touched by his playing.

-------------

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 07:27
 Loved the way John held down the flying Who; loved the way Jack took off with the Cream.  Better?  Balderdash.  Both are titans of the bass in the rock world.  Bruce, however, is a much better jazz bassist - McLaughlin, Williams and Young weren't knocking on the Ox's door......everyone wanted to play with Jack, even Carla Bley (though that lasted about two minutes).

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 07:43
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Loved the way John held down the flying Who; loved the way Jack took off with the Cream.  Better?  Balderdash.  Both are titans of the bass in the rock world.  Bruce, however, is a much better jazz bassist - McLaughlin, Williams and Young weren't knocking on the Ox's door......everyone wanted to play with Jack, even Carla Bley (though that lasted about two minutes).
I think we need to bring the word "Balderdash" back into common usage.  What a great word that is.

I'm picking Jack Bruce without a doubt in my mind.  He's been a favorite musician of mine for centuries.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:03
Thank ford for the 'both' optionBig smile

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 10:17
Voted The Ox because he changed bass guitar as the same as Hendrix did do for lead guitar.
Also, the quietest man in everyday life, the loudest man on stage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_9Dwpc7QPE" rel="nofollow - And pretty good singer&songwriter too!

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 11:04
voted Jack Bruce - inspite of the fact that when I met him, in a professional capacity, not in an energy-vampire fanboy way, he was the most cantankerous person I have ever encountered.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 22:16
Bruce certainly.....Entwistle was  great but Bruce is far more versatile and his songwriting is way beyond anything Entwistle ever did.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 23:22
I really don't know much about either bassists' work outside their respective bands, but my vote goes to Jack Bruce for the simple fact that I like Cream a lot more than I do The Who.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 00:14
Both, please! Smile

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 00:36
I am aware that both are extremely talented Bassists. I tried many albums from The Who, none did much for me.
I have many LP's with Jack Bruce and really think his style was amazing and clicked with me. I vote JB, but Entwistle could've been so much more.
What Bruce does on the Cream signature jam 'Spoonful' , is superb. That, and his singing.....

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 00:54
I have loved both for years, so 'both' it is

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 02:55
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

(...)I tried many albums from The Who, none did much for me.
(...)
John Entwistle released four solo albums in '70s and he formed his own band John Entwistle's The Ox in 1975 with guitarist Robert A. Johnson. So maybe you would check his solo output.
I'd like to recommend Entwistle's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpLI017eYws" rel="nofollow - Wistle Rhymes and  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh_aVcJlA9A" rel="nofollow - Rigor Mortis Sets In  (which was released as a joke) the albums from 1972 and 1973.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 04:01
^ I did have a couple of his solo LP's at one stage ; One where it had a 'woodlands' painting, and the track 'Nightmare' was the last song on side 2. The other was Too Late The Hero (with his photo holding that awesome starry beast), and only the lengthy title song sticks with me. He was an incredible bassist, no doubt, but nothing he did actually made much of an impact on me........

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 06:47
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ I did have a couple of his solo LP's at one stage ; One where it had a 'woodlands' painting, and the track 'Nightmare' was the last song on side 2. The other was Too Late The Hero (with his photo holding that awesome starry beast), and only the lengthy title song sticks with me. He was an incredible bassist, no doubt, but nothing he did actually made much of an impact on me........

I understand. Also I do not have impact with some of the bigs.

Btw, a nice video tribute to John Entwistle.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 15:09
John Entwistle I suppose.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 03:30
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

The Ox tramples over Bruce sorry.

This.

Bass players make a band IMHO.

THE OX was the only sophisticated musician in The Who. He revolutionised the bass. Listen to My Generation.....1965 guys...c'mon! If you need proof, watch the film "The Kids Are All Right"; it demonstrates that John Entwhistle was a master of his instrument.

Also listen to the bass in "The Real Me" from Quadrophenia. He's almost my fav bass player of any genre.

Jack Bruce, well he had a better singing voice than THE OX. 

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 05:50

An incredible footage of The Who and a great example of Thunderfingers' revolutionary bass playing! (I Can't Explain, live in Paris 1972)

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 06:09
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

An incredible footage of The Who and a great example of Thunderfingers' revolutionary bass playing! (I Can't Explain, live in Paris 1972)
Still ignoring the request I see.

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 06:24
^ What I did wrong now?
I posted two embeded videos of John Entwistle, right? what a naughty thing to do so at a music forum, at a poll Entwisle Vs Bruce, isn't? lol

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 06:27

^ What I did wrong now?
I posted two embeded videos of John Entwistle, right? what a naughty thing to do so at a music forum, at a poll Entwisle Vs Bruce, isn't? lol
Exactly. You have been asked to stop posting videos all the time.

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 06:34
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

^ What I did wrong now? I posted two embeded videos of John Entwistle, right? what a naughty thing to do so at a music forum, at a poll Entwisle Vs Bruce, isn't? lol

I'v been warned to not post a serie of embeded videos and also these album covers, and I do not that anymore.
However, no one moderator was said me to not post a few vids sometimes as all other members can do as well.

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 06:37

^ What I did wrong now? I posted two embeded videos of John Entwistle, right? what a naughty thing to do so at a music forum, at a poll Entwisle Vs Bruce, isn't? lol

I'v been warned to not post a serie of embeded videos and also these album covers, and I and I do not do that anymore.
However, no one moderator was said me to not post a few vids sometimes as all other members can do as well.
Ok great, but you've still posted two videos in your last few posts and people are quite capable of looking up John Entwhistle on YouTube if they so desire. Don't feel you need to post videos for everyone all the time.

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 06:43

I'v been warned to not post a serie of embeded videos and also these album covers, and I and I do not do that anymore. However, no one moderator was said me to not post a few vids sometimes as all other members can do as well.

Ok great, but you've still posted two videos in your last few posts and people are quite capable of looking up John Entwhistle on YouTube if they so desire. (...)

There are 1000s vids of John Entwistle at YouTube, but I wanted to post just these two.
And I know the reason why I posted them. Ok?

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 07:13

I'v been warned to not post a serie of embeded videos and also these album covers, and I and I do not do that anymore. However, no one moderator was said me to not post a few vids sometimes as all other members can do as well.

Ok great, but you've still posted two videos in your last few posts and people are quite capable of looking up John Entwhistle on YouTube if they so desire. (...)

There are 1000s vids of John Entwistle at YouTube, but I wanted to post just these two.
And I know the reason why I posted them. Ok?
OK, just trying to help.

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 07:37
^ Thank you, you are so kind..

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk