Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=828
Printed Date: June 10 2024 at 22:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: JETHRO TULL - SONGS FROM THE WOOD
Posted By: moonchild
Subject: JETHRO TULL - SONGS FROM THE WOOD
Date Posted: May 19 2004 at 15:45
I love the harpsichord sounding keyboard of Velvet Green. Many fine tracks to choose from.

-------------
In the Wake of Poseidon

Replies:
Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: May 19 2004 at 16:58

I especially love "Hunting Girl." It really rocks (fab Barre guitar!), and has clever, risque lyrics! Clap

Thumbs Up I really like the title track too! A great album overall -- see my review!

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: bityear
Date Posted: May 19 2004 at 19:16
I voted for, "Ring Out Solstice Bells", though its definite version is the one on "Christmas Album" - that's an awesome record, by the way! The sitting by the fireplace sort of Tull.

-------------
www.geocities.com/joelbitars

Posted By: diddy
Date Posted: May 19 2004 at 19:44
Honestly it's been a wile since I listened to this one but I voted for 'Velvet green' because I remember that this one was the song I considered to be the best...It's time to dig out "Songs from the wood" again for a listen...or two

-------------
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell

Posted By: dropForge
Date Posted: May 19 2004 at 21:01
Totally amazing Tull album, my favorite along with Stormwatch. I can't pick just one tune over the rest, all of them really go together, when you listen to the album, intently. No go on this poll for moi!

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: May 19 2004 at 23:47

My second favourite JT album (only surpassed by Thick as a Brick, leaving the third place for A Passion Play). Almost every track is superb, but I had to choose one. I also terribly enjoy the playful magic of the opening title track, the rocky punch of 'Hunting Girl', the somber mystery of 'Pibroch', and the gentle introspective cheerio of 'Fire at Midnight'.   

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: May 20 2004 at 00:52

One of my favorite Tull albums after Thick as a Brick and Benefit. The band had reached maturity and decided to play the folk/pastoral oriented prog' that they liked most.

The title track "Songs from the Wood" is by large the one I choose, the beautiful choral intro is so peaceful that this is the song that I play when stressed. The piano sections are also extreamly pleasent and Ian's voice is IMHO at one of his peaks.

It works as a magic song that takes me to the countryside when I'm tired of the city.

Iván

Posted By: Velvetclown
Date Posted: May 20 2004 at 03:32
I agree with dropForge, I just can´t choose.

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: May 20 2004 at 03:58
If I had to choose, I'd go for 'Jack In The Green' - superb eco-hymn, right up there with 'Heavy Horses'

"or will these changing times, motorways, power lines, keep us apart? Oh I don't think so, I saw some grass push through the pavement today"

Doesn't matter what we do, how badly we screw up - Nature will endure.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Paco Fox
Date Posted: May 20 2004 at 04:04
A suberb album, one of the best folk prog albums ever recorded. I choose 'Hunting Girl', I really don't know why. It has many virtues, and not only in the music: The lyrics, as usually with Anderson, are very curious. This thing about sexual intercouse with a girl from the wood or the mountain is a recurrent theme in medieval literature. I always found interesting the deep cultural knowledge Anderson shows in his writting.

Posted By: John Hicks
Date Posted: May 21 2004 at 11:04
Can't go wrong with the title track!

-------------

Posted By: James Lee
Date Posted: June 20 2004 at 14:12

Pibroch (Cap in Hand) has always been my favorite...there's a huge sense of loss and resignation in the last verse made even more poignant by the majestic climaxing instrumental that preceeds it. And the backwards-echo guitar is a classic sound! It's an almost perfect combination of heavy rock and symphonic grandeur.

"Songs from the Wood" is my all-time favorite JT album...the songs are perfect compositions (no half-improvised jams or song fragments) beautifully recorded and the playing is as good as JT ever got. This is what rock and roll would sound like if the middle ages had never ended! My only letdown is that there aren't any of those beautiful, simple examples of Ian singing with just an acoustic guitar backing (like "Thick as a Brick" or the short pieces from the first side of Aqualung, etc.) but "Jack in the Green" is a great variation.

Posted By: Velvetclown
Date Posted: June 21 2004 at 01:40
Velvet Green

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: June 22 2004 at 11:21
I went with Jack In The Green but the whole album is a masterpiece of prog.

Posted By: Possessed
Date Posted: July 10 2004 at 03:14
The Whistler.

Posted By: Manu
Date Posted: July 12 2004 at 11:03
My favorite is the title track. However, "Jack In The Green", "Hunting Girl", "Velvet Green" and "The Whistler" are great too. Actually, the whole album is awesome.

Posted By: peringo2
Date Posted: July 21 2004 at 06:13

Paco Fox is quite right about "Hunting Girl". In Galician (northwestern Spain) medieval poetry - arguably, one of the most importat of its time - 80% of the most studied poems are "Cantigas de amio" which, basically, dead with having sexual intercourse with ladies or ladies mourning the lost of her loved one on "the morning after" (some things never change). Which "Hunting Girl" lacks is the crazy symbolism of those poems (an arrow is a phallic symbol, water in al its forms means sex, animals are a metaphor of sexual strenght...) Only on "Kissing Willie" did Ian took all those metaphores to his crazy territory, while making the best or wort music video ever.

BTW, the record is masterpuiece from beginning to end, and my favourite is, as the superb "Christmas Album" proved, "Fire at Midnight".

(Still, as a Spanish punk rock band noted, havin sex in the grass makes puts dirt in your balls).

-------------
"Your sperm's in the gutter/ Your love's in the sink"

Posted By: eriksalkeld
Date Posted: July 09 2005 at 17:22

Top 3:

1) Hunting Girl
2) Songs from the Wood
3) The Whistler

-------------
Autenticidad, actitud, pluralidad, espiritu e inteligencia, si es prog bien, si no, tambien.

Posted By: NetsNJFan
Date Posted: July 09 2005 at 22:37
Songs from the Woods gets my vote, a surprisingly complex yet beautiful prog-folk masterpiece.

Cup of Wonder is also great IMO.

-------------

Posted By: Progzilla
Date Posted: July 11 2005 at 09:30
The title track is just awsome, great grooves and rythmes. I can play it over and over again. The whistler is nice to, I always whistle along, need I say more...

-------------
Currently listening to:
- Andromeda
- Pagan's Mind
- Kamelot

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 18:38

The Whistler is awesome, so Pinbroch

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 20:22

"Let Me bring you Songs From The Wood"

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 22:16
I love "songs from the wood". Awesome track.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 02:52
Nice album, but can't make up any track over some other.

Posted By: Henkka
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 20:16

Jack in the Green. A masterpiece of an album.

And harpsichord is the best sound in the world anyways.

Posted By: MustShaveBeard
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 20:19
I voted for Velvet Green, though the title track and Pibroch are quite up there, too, and it seems lately the more I've been listening to the title track the more I like it. I'll update you if my opinion changes (actually I probably won't,, whatever...)

-------------
Your life or your lupins!!!

Posted By: Scrambled_Eggs
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 21:01
I 'ave to go with Songs from the Wood, though The Whistler is a close second.

-------------
And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime.
I never said I was frightened of dying.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk