Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8291
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 02:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Peter Sinfield
Posted By: FragileDT
Subject: Peter Sinfield
Date Posted: July 02 2005 at 13:30

General Question: When did Peter Sinfield stop writing words for King Crimson? (as in which album)

What other projects has he done aside from KC?

Replies:
Posted By: Jeremy Bender
Date Posted: July 02 2005 at 13:35
His last album for KC was Islands.

Posted By: Scrambled_Eggs
Date Posted: July 02 2005 at 13:44

Originally posted by FragileDT FragileDT wrote:

He wrote lyrics for Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, PFM, and Garry Brooker from Procol Harum, and Sinfield also released his own album titled "Still" in 1973.  I know he produced a few albums too, but I can't seem to recall which ones.

-------------
And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime.
I never said I was frightened of dying.

Posted By: Fitzcarraldo
Date Posted: July 02 2005 at 15:57

All you ever wanted to know about Pete Sinfield, and more, can be found at:

http://www.songsouponsea.com/ - http://www.songsouponsea.com/

Posted By: Grimm
Date Posted: July 02 2005 at 16:41

Erm, don't ask me how I know this, but Peter Sinfield wrote the lyrics for a song appearing on the 1996 Celine Dion album Falling Into You. The song is called Call The Man.

Close the door
Shut the world away
All the fight's gone from this wounded heart
Across the floor
Dreams and shadows play
Like wind blown refugees

Call the man
Who deals in love beyond repair
He can heal the world
Of hearts in need of care
Shine a light ahead
When the next step is unclear
Call the man
He's needed here

I close my eyes
I remember when
Your sweet love filled this empty room
The tears I cry
Won't bring it back again
Unless the lonely star should fall

Call the man
Who deals in love beyond repair
He can heal the world
Of hearts in need of care
Shine a light ahead
When the next step is unclear
Call the man
He's needed here

Needed in the chaos and confusion
From the plains to city hall
Needed where the proud who walk the wire are set to fall

Call the man
Who deals in once upon a time
Maybe he
Can mend this broken heart of mine
Shine a light ahead
Now the future isn't clear
Call the man
He's needed here
Call the man
He's needed here

He's needed here
He's needed here
Call the man

He's needed here
Right here right now

-------------
Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be or seem to be self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
time.

Posted By: threefates
Date Posted: July 02 2005 at 23:46

He's also wrote "Heart of Stone" for Cher's comeback in 1989...

He's worked for nearly everyone over the years besides those already listed, he worked and wrote for many you'd never think of such as Brian Eno solo and Roxy Music as a band, Bad English, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, Barry Manilow, Eddy Money, Jennifer Holiday, Diana Ross, etc...  He keeps himself really busy still... 

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Date Posted: July 02 2005 at 23:54
Oh.. and he stopped writing for KC because one day Fripp called him up and said it was time for him to go.  He thought about giving him a hard time, but decided in the end he'd be better off leaving...

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: NetsNJFan
Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 03:19

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Oh.. and he stopped writing for KC because one day Fripp called him up and said it was time for him to go.  He thought about giving him a hard time, but decided in the end he'd be better off leaving...

KC took a serious nosedive without him, musically.  lyrically palmer-james isn't bad, but he ain't Sinfield.

-------------

Posted By: DallasBryan
Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 03:26
Is his best lyrics/band moment

KC - 21st Century Schitzoid Man
OR
PFM - Is My Face on Straight?

Posted By: Philrod
Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 05:47
Last year I made an oral exposition on Pete In school. I had to read a poem in English(I go to a French school) and I chose Epitaph, from the first Crimson album! This song touches me every time I hear it!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Philrod/?chartstyle=Geldropdown-small">

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 06:51
Jep, Peter is a fine artist!

Posted By: Moribund
Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 06:58

Anyone remember The Land of Make-Believe by Buck's Fizz??

Yep - it's true!!

-------------
New Progressive Rock Live show now touring UK theatres!
www.masterpiecestheconcert.co.uk

Posted By: Moribund
Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 06:59
Originally posted by Moribund Moribund wrote:

Yep - it's true!!

For our overseas viewers...

BUCKS FIZZ
UK vocal group named '80 by husband/wife management/ prod. team of Andy Hill/Nichola Martin after home counties term for champagne and orange juice. Martin had been prot‚g‚e of Sandie Shaw's manager Eve Taylor; would-be Eurovision star aimed to build vocal group around herself, with ad jinglewriter Hill supplying material. 900 auditioned; end result in the image of ABBA of two boys/two girls: Mike Nolan (b 7 Dec. '54), Bobby G (b Robert Gubby, 23 Aug. '53), Jay Aston (b 4 May '61), Cheryl Baker (b 8 March '54). Impressed by both girls, Martin stood down as a performer. "Making Your Mind Up' won Eurovision '81 as planned, first UK win since similarly manufactured 2+2 Brotherhood of Man '76. They were lent some memorability by the gimmick of removing girls' skirts mid-song, borrowed from Martin's Eurovision hopefuls Rags, whose heat of Song For Europe was blacked out by a technicians' strike. Two subsequent singles in identical style breached UK top 20; fourth hit "Land Of Make Believe' performed pantomime style made no. 1 late '81; early '82 "My Camera Never Lies' also made it. Variations on theme with a cappella-styled "Now Those Days Are Gone', reggae-tinged "If You Can't Stand The Heat' were notably less successful; fall was arrested by importing material: cover of Romantics' '83 US hit "Talking In Your Sleep' restored top 40 UK status '84, the boys playing instruments in an image shift towards adulthood. Coach crash Dec. '84 in which Nolan was seriously injured preceded split in ranks: Aston, whose sexy image was at odds with cleancut appeal of group, quit mid-'85 for solo career; replaced after more mass auditions by lookalike Shelley Preston (b 14 May '64). (Aston's move delighted the tabloids with revelations about hanky-panky in group and resulted in lawsuits needed to free her from management contract.) Baker meanwhile became part-time TV show host; Gubby wrote/sang theme to BBC's Big Deal sitcom. "You And Your Eyes So Blue' took them back to charts mid-'85, also middle-of-the-road musical stance, outside writers (bizarrely incl. former King Crimson lyricist Pete Sinfield) collaborating with Hill.

-------------
New Progressive Rock Live show now touring UK theatres!
www.masterpiecestheconcert.co.uk

Posted By: Vaize
Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 09:36
Peter Sinfield's best solo album is the excelent STILL.

Learn more about it in the topic “PROMENADE THE PUZZLE - The Poetic Vision of Peter Sinfield” and visiting the suggested links...

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5217&PN=28 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5217&P N=28

The topic above was created after I discovered the site “Song Soup on Sea”, already suggested here by Fitzcarraldo...

-------------
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.myspace.com/veuliahband" rel="nofollow - Veuliah - Brazilian Heavy Metal My page

Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 10:20

Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:

Is his best lyrics/band moment

KC - 21st Century Schitzoid Man
OR
PFM - Is My Face on Straight?

Actually its ELP's "Closer to Believing"

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 10:23

Yep - it's true!!

For our overseas viewers...

BUCKS FIZZ
UK vocal group named '80 by husband/wife management/ prod. team of Andy Hill/Nichola Martin after home counties term for champagne and orange juice. Martin had been prot‚g‚e of Sandie Shaw's manager Eve Taylor; would-be Eurovision star aimed to build vocal group around herself, with ad jinglewriter Hill supplying material. 900 auditioned; end result in the image of ABBA of two boys/two girls: Mike Nolan (b 7 Dec. '54), Bobby G (b Robert Gubby, 23 Aug. '53), Jay Aston (b 4 May '61), Cheryl Baker (b 8 March '54). Impressed by both girls, Martin stood down as a performer. "Making Your Mind Up' won Eurovision '81 as planned, first UK win since similarly manufactured 2+2 Brotherhood of Man '76. They were lent some memorability by the gimmick of removing girls' skirts mid-song, borrowed from Martin's Eurovision hopefuls Rags, whose heat of Song For Europe was blacked out by a technicians' strike. Two subsequent singles in identical style breached UK top 20; fourth hit "Land Of Make Believe' performed pantomime style made no. 1 late '81; early '82 "My Camera Never Lies' also made it. Variations on theme with a cappella-styled "Now Those Days Are Gone', reggae-tinged "If You Can't Stand The Heat' were notably less successful; fall was arrested by importing material: cover of Romantics' '83 US hit "Talking In Your Sleep' restored top 40 UK status '84, the boys playing instruments in an image shift towards adulthood. Coach crash Dec. '84 in which Nolan was seriously injured preceded split in ranks: Aston, whose sexy image was at odds with cleancut appeal of group, quit mid-'85 for solo career; replaced after more mass auditions by lookalike Shelley Preston (b 14 May '64). (Aston's move delighted the tabloids with revelations about hanky-panky in group and resulted in lawsuits needed to free her from management contract.) Baker meanwhile became part-time TV show host; Gubby wrote/sang theme to BBC's Big Deal sitcom. "You And Your Eyes So Blue' took them back to charts mid-'85, also middle-of-the-road musical stance, outside writers (bizarrely incl. former King Crimson lyricist Pete Sinfield) collaborating with Hill.

Actually Pete did a lot of writing with Andy Hill for years..

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 10:25

Originally posted by Vaize Vaize wrote:

Wasn't that Pete's only solo album....

And of course the best song on that album is the track "Still".... especially that chorus... I wonder why??

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: proger
Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 11:50
i love to other king crimson's song writer parel-james i think that was his name.. i am now sure, but he was good

-------------
...live for tomorrow...

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 13:30

Originally posted by Grimm Grimm wrote:

... Peter Sinfield wrote the lyrics for a song appearing on the 1996 Celine Dion album Falling Into You. The song is called Call The Man.

Not very pleasing song.

Posted By: Vaize
Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 14:35
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Originally posted by Vaize Vaize wrote:

Wasn't that Pete's only solo album....

And of course the best song on that album is the track "Still".... especially that chorus... I wonder why??

Ok, I assume my fault. Still was Pete's only solo album... But it is really a great solo work and is still his best...

You can listen to some of the track Still by clicking on the RealPlayer button on the page:
http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/StillG.html - http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/StillG.html

The Song of the Sea Goat is a masterpiece, its complex lyrics is fully commented and it is possible to listen to the song entirelly by sequentially clicking the RealPlayer buttons of the several pages of the lyrics investigation... It starts at:
http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/StillA.html - http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/StillA.html

Keep following the little hands at the end of the texts at each page to listen to the whole song... http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/StillB.html">

-------------
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.myspace.com/veuliahband" rel="nofollow - Veuliah - Brazilian Heavy Metal My page

Posted By: bluetailfly
Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 20:34

I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority, but I purchased this album and was seriously disappointed with it. I expected something more visionary and instead got a lot of mediocre, overproduced pop-rock crap. Pete Sinfield cannot sing and therefore should not sing.

Pete Sinfield is a good lyricist, a good imaginative poet in the romantic vein, and he should stick to that (and actually try to more seriously develop his talent instead of writing schlock lyrics), but hey everyone's got to make a living, and far be it from me to put down the way a person makes a livelihood.

But the album...don't go there, or go there with a safety net.

-------------
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."

Posted By: Retrovertigo
Date Posted: July 04 2005 at 00:56
Originally posted by FragileDT FragileDT wrote:

General Question: When did Peter Sinfield stop writing words for King Crimson? (as in which album)

His last major release writing with King Crimson was Islands.

His other projects as far as writing are:

1971 McDonald & Giles - McDonald & Giles
1973 Photos of Ghosts - PFM
1973 Still - Peter Sinfield
1993 All the Best - Leo Sayer (composer)
1993 Robert Sheckley's In a Land of Clear Colours - Brian Eno & Pete Sinfield (narrator)

He's also produced a hell of a lot of things, and is credited on a lot of compilations.

Posted By: rcdupre
Date Posted: July 06 2005 at 14:36
I've never heard Still, have to search it out. I did see on E-Bay a bootleg from around the same time that was listed as "Pete Sinfield and PFM" and was a live show, I'd love to hear that!

Posted By: Grimm
Date Posted: July 07 2005 at 01:11
Islands was his swan-song with King Crimson. He went straight to Greg Lake and ELP.

-------------
Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be or seem to be self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
time.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: July 07 2005 at 04:16
Originally posted by Scrambled_Eggs Scrambled_Eggs wrote:

He wrote lyrics for Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, PFM, and Garry Brooker from Procol Harum?!?!, and Sinfield also released his own album titled "Still" in 1973.  I know he produced a few albums too, but I can't seem to recall which ones.

Not that I know of , in Procol Harum!!! Keith Reid was the official lyricist. Also a lyrics only contributor!!!  Maybe on a solo album of Gary Brooker.

Although Pete Sinfield did handle the light show for KC too and toured with them as a member. By the time of Island (and already Lizard) , he was the only original member left except for BOB, himself!

Apparently , Robert hated people calling him Bob, and was really pissed off at the persons persisting into it.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Teaflax
Date Posted: July 07 2005 at 08:08
Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

Pete Sinfield is a good lyricist,

Only if you set your standards really low.

He's not a good story teller (Benny the Bouncer), he will gladly go for the most obvious and trite of clichés (How quick the tree of love/Bears fruit of hate", or for awkward pseudopoetic nonsense instead (Man alone, born of stone/Will stamp the dust of time/His hands strike the flame of his soul/Ties a rope to a tree and hangs the Universe/Until the wind of laughter blows cold).

Admittedly, some of the tracks of his early Crimson work (ItCotCK, Epitaph) are pretty good for what they are, but they're certainly not tours de force of lyrical prowess. At least not if you listen to lyrics outside Prog and/or have read some poetry in your time.

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: July 07 2005 at 09:14
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

Pete Sinfield is a good lyricist,

Only if you set your standards really low.

He's not a good story teller (Benny the Bouncer), he will gladly go for the most obvious and trite of clichés (How quick the tree of love/Bears fruit of hate", or for awkward pseudopoetic nonsense instead (Man alone, born of stone/Will stamp the dust of time/His hands strike the flame of his soul/Ties a rope to a tree and hangs the Universe/Until the wind of laughter blows cold).

Admittedly, his early Crimson work (ItCotCK, Epitaph) are pretty good for what they are, but they're certainly not tours de force of lyrical prowess. At least not if you listen to lyrics outside Prog and/or have read some poetry in your time.

Very very true. I maintain that Ian Anderson is by far the best lyricist in prog.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk