Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83023
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 19:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Can & Amon Duul II
Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Subject: Can & Amon Duul II
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 12:23
Two of Krautrock's legendary bands. I paired 1 with 6,2 with 5 etc. based on PA,s ratings.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Replies:
Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 12:37
Confused Never in a month of Sunday's would I ever pair up these albums like this - I can't pick anything.

Polls seem to be confusing the carp out of me today. Ouch

-------------
What?

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 13:01
I can't choose anyway, many great albums here!

The ultimate team-up would have been Yeti and Tago Mago. Thumbs Up

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Midnight Lightning
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 13:20
Interesting poll strategy :)
I think Ege Bamyasi/Yeti is my favorite on average. If There was a Future Days/Tanz der Leminge,it would be a no brainer.

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 13:22

^^ Yea this.

Yeti is my overall favorite so i'll go with Ege Bamyasi/Yeti

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 14:01
You´re a cruel cruel man JohnLOL

How to choose how to choose....? Errmm, alright... OH yeah.... hhhmm. Well, ok I could go for any of the first 4 options really. I love all those albums - I really do, but seeing as I have been listening a lot to Vive la Trance lately, and Future Days is a personal fave that has been with through a lot of things - I´ll give it up for nr 1.
I really don´t get, why that ADll album has gotten such a bad rep. I think it is just as strong as Wolf City, and to my ears they could have been part of a double album. Kindred spirits.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 14:08
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Confused Never in a month of Sunday's would I ever pair up these albums like this - I can't pick anything.

I think he has paired the strongest rated album of one band with the weakest with with the other and in the middle you get a pairing of roughly equal albums.

It will show if you prefer a strong Can and weak Amon Duul II or vise versa or a medium album from both. Or any of the degrees in between.LOL

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 14:08
Although there's a lot I love here this was easy: Ege Bamyasi/Yeti

-------------

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 14:10
Tago Mago is my favorite kraut album, but CIB kind of sucks. So, I went with Ege/Yeti, because that's the strongest overall choice.

-------------

Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 14:11
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I think he has paired the strongest rated album of one band with the weakest with with the other and in the middle you get a pairing of roughly equal albums.

It will show if you prefer a strong Can and weak Amon Duul II or vise versa or a medium album from both. Or any of the degrees in between.LOL

Thanks Ian LOL That pretty much sums it up. I must admit when i look at the last five choices i get confused too because they are all so close it makes it difficult.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 14:17
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

^^ Yea this.

Yeti is my overall favorite so i'll go with Ege Bamyasi/Yeti

Seems to be the popular choice.Thanks Karl,Ron,Anthony and others.  I picked Monster Movie and Tanz Der Leminge by the way but would have been happy with any of the last five.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 14:21
^Yeah, that was the one I thought about first, but I knew it would get some love. I mean Tanz and Monster Movie are both incredible albums, but I always give it to the underdog for some reasonEmbarrassed

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 14:24
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

You´re a cruel cruel man JohnLOL

How to choose how to choose....? Errmm, alright... OH yeah.... hhhmm. Well, ok I could go for any of the first 4 options really. I love all those albums - I really do, but seeing as I have been listening a lot to Vive la Trance lately, and Future Days is a personal fave that has been with through a lot of things - I´ll give it up for nr 1.
I really don´t get, why that ADll album has gotten such a bad rep. I think it is just as strong as Wolf City, and to my ears they could have been part of a double album. Kindred spirits.

I knew you'd pick this one Bamsen,well lets just say i'd have been surprised if you didn't. Vive La Trance is the only one on the list i don't own but you've convinced me that i need to check it out(i think i just heard Anthony cringe). I've been on a CAN kick of late,in fact i have Ege Bamyasi on right now.Also listened to Live In London by AMON DUUL II today.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 14:29
LOL Yeah I read that review - the guy is obviously delirious - or needs to be...
Kidding aside - the review was very good, and we all can´t run around and listen to the same stuff. Just think if everybody only ate raw potatoes. What a grey world it would be...

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 14:30
I'm not the only one who gave it a bad review! Cry LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 14:36
No but sadly you argued your case very wellAngryWink

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 15:01
Monster Movie and Tanz de Lemminge for me, since Monster Movie is ~equal to my other 3 favourite can albums, and TdL is my favourite ADII

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 15:49
I can't pick on this list it's too confusing.

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 16:14
Ege Bamyesi/Yeti for me. In general I prefer Can, but Amon Duul II's first four albums still stand up pretty well.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 16:19
Monster Movie and Tanz der Lemminge for me as well...could have been slightly better if it had been Tago Mago and Tanz der Lemminge, though, those are my faves from each band. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 16:25
Ege YEti

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 19:34
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

I can't choose anyway, many great albums here!

These are the only albums I have by these bands.  I like Yeti fairly well.  Let's just say I "don't understand" Tago Mago...

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 20:13
Can't really choose. Cry It's either the one with Tago Mago or the one with Tanz Der Lemminge.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: November 24 2011 at 22:31
Tough call.  I went with Future Days / Vive La Trance for two reasons: a) Future Days might be my favorite album of all time, and b) I've really been digging Vive La Trance a lot lately, even if it's not a favorite.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: November 25 2011 at 00:26
EBY

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 25 2011 at 01:05
Ege Bamyasi/Yeti for sure.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: November 25 2011 at 04:04
It's curious that 4th and 3rd are leading while 3rd and 4th are still at zero. I would have expected a Gaussian distribution.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: November 25 2011 at 16:02
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

It's curious that 4th and 3rd are leading while 3rd and 4th are still at zero. I would have expected a Gaussian distribution.

Not half as curious as the fact that Soundtracks is rated higher than Ege Bamyasi Wacko

Date Posted: November 25 2011 at 17:54
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Not half as curious as the fact that Soundtracks is rated higher than Ege Bamyasi Wacko

Is it seriously? Confused

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 25 2011 at 18:22
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Is it seriously? Confused
Given the margin of error in such statistically small samples they're to all intents and purposes the same (differ by 0.5%). Then this poll is currently incorrect since Made In Germany, Nada Moonshine # and Flawless have higher ratings than Carnival in Babylon or Vive La Trance; and Soon Over Babaluma and Landed rate higher than Delay, so it may have been different when the poll was published and I guess another few days they will be different again.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: November 25 2011 at 21:01
^I think the OP just decided to use the 6 first recorded albums (not released, or delay wouldn't be there), or something like that.  Maybe.

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: November 25 2011 at 21:37

I prefer Soundtracks to  Ege Bamyasi Tongue.
Tango Whiskyman; Don't Turn the Light On, Leave Me Alone are among my favorites Can songs and Mother Sky is one of the best tracks I've ever heard.

Date Posted: November 25 2011 at 21:44
I absolutely adore Soundtracks, but Ege Bamyasi is just Ege Bamyasi

ya know

Date Posted: November 25 2011 at 22:37

^I think the OP just decided to use the 6 first recorded albums (not released, or delay wouldn't be there), or something like that.  Maybe.

You are correct sir plus i feel those 6 are pretty much the best studio albums each band put out. Although i do like Landed better than Future Days(please don't shoot !). Thankyou !

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: November 25 2011 at 22:38
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

You are correct sir plus i feel those 6 are pretty much the best studio albums each band put out. Although i do like Landed better than Future Days(please don't shoot !). Thankyou !

Soon Over Babaluma?  so good

Date Posted: November 25 2011 at 22:55

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Soon Over Babaluma?  so good

Yup but i really like Landed more.I think it's the song Vernal Equinox which i think is one of their best ever tracks.It's a shame Damo isn't on this one or Soon Over Babaluma though.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 26 2011 at 01:27
Originally posted by MFP MFP wrote:

Tango Whiskyman; Don't Turn the Light On, Leave Me Alone are among my favorites Can songs and Mother Sky is one of the best tracks I've ever heard.

Don't know if I rate Soundtracks over Ege Bamyasi, but largely agree with you. Both are five stars to me. You got those three amazing Damo tunes, but I also think Soul Desert and She Brings the Rain are two of Malcolms finest moments To my ears Can did everything right from the start and up to some time in 75-76. 

Choosing was easy, bacause Yeti is a full on kraut masterpiece and Wolf City is just good. Same can be said about  Tago Mago /Carnival In Babylon.

Phallus Dei/Monster Movie
would be a natural born killer combo though. Delay doesn't really count, as it first came out in 81.

-------------

Date Posted: November 26 2011 at 11:10
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by MFP MFP wrote:

Don't know if I rate Soundtracks over Ege Bamyasi, but largely agree with you. Both are five stars to me. You got those three amazing Damo tunes, but I also think Soul Desert and She Brings the Rain are two of Malcolms finest moments To my ears Can did everything right from the start and up to some time in 75-76. 

Choosing was easy, bacause Yeti is a full on kraut masterpiece and Wolf City is just good. Same can be said about  Tago Mago /Carnival In Babylon.

Phallus Dei/Monster Movie
would be a natural born killer combo though. Delay doesn't really count, as it first came out in 81.

I've been on a CAN-fest of late and honestly rate Delay 1968,Monster Movie,Soundtracks,Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi all fairly close.I have no idea why Future Days has failed to capture my imagination.Down the road a bit i'm going to re-do this poll with the first five albums of each band because i think it will be a lot closer and harder to pick.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: November 27 2011 at 13:25
^ Future Days never clicked with me. 

With Can, it was Ege Bamyasi that turned me into a fan, though after that I hugely appreciated all of Tago Mago (originally just Aumgn really spoke to me). I haven't heard Delay.

I'm going with the popular choice, since I love both albums.  Yeti is superb.  But I could easily go for Monster Movie/Tanz Der Lemminge too.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Zombywoof
Date Posted: December 01 2011 at 20:47
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Agreed!!

-------------
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: December 02 2011 at 09:05
Ege Bamyasi/Yeti

Posted By: The Wrinkler
Date Posted: December 03 2011 at 02:02
Monster Movie/ Tanz Der Lemminge.
But I really love Yeti. Cry

Posted By: Godbluff Generator
Date Posted: December 03 2011 at 10:25
Considering how the top two of each would be Tago Mago, Monster movie, and Yeti, TdL, I have to go with Monster movie and TdL.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 04 2011 at 01:35
I'll go with the Future Days/Tanz der Lemminge pairing.......oh, wait a minute, that pairing is not listed......oh well, must go for the Bamyasi/Yeti dynamic duo........and I started eating Okra (Gumbo) because of that CAN record.........

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: December 04 2011 at 11:43
Delay 1968 and Phallus Dei for me - probably something to do with being into Hawkwind, Sabbath, Stooges, MC5 and new wave when I first heard them. I love the way the riffs lurch along, the instruments gradually coming into sync at the start of Uphill, and the guitar noise in Nineteen Century Man and Dem Guten, Schönen, Wahren - the latter sounding like the guitar or amp's been pushed to the point of breaking, but they're determined to carry on anywayClap

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk