Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83430
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 02:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ian Anderson vs Martin Barre
Posted By: Adams Bolero
Subject: Ian Anderson vs Martin Barre
Date Posted: December 12 2011 at 20:39

Now that Ian and Martin have split into two different camps with both playing the music of Jethro Tull I’m interested in knowing who would you go see in concert if you had to choose one over the other. Bear in mind that Martin will have some former Jethro Tull members in the band and will play songs like Teacher and Minstrel in the Gallery which Ian doesn’t perform anymore. It’s a hard choice but at the end of the day Ian is the heart and soul of Tull so I would go see him though of course I love to see both!

-------------
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus

Replies:
Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: December 12 2011 at 20:59
Ian is the heart of Jethro Tull. Martin is a good guitarist but he's not very charismatic but Ian is.

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: December 12 2011 at 21:27

I  have seen Tull a dozen times, and it is clear that Ian is the leader of the band - songwriter, singer, arranger, frontman, performer.  Barre has had an influence on the overall sound, though, and has provided his own hand at arrangements.  Neither by themselves could be true Tull, but both by themselves would be interesting.  I voted for Martin (first one!) because I have a darned good idea of what Ian would do, but not how Martin would approach it.  Who would sing?  What Tull songs would they perform?  What old band members would be present?  Would there be Martin solo material (Tull has performed Ian solo material)?  Who would handle the acoustic sections of classic Tull songs?  Indeed, could any but Ian perform those sections properly?  And would Martin play the flute (which he has done with Tull, but I don't think he has ever performed)?  I know what to expect from Ian.  But Martin?  Could be anything. 

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: December 12 2011 at 23:01
I'd rather see them together as Jethro Tull.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 00:27
love them both, among my fav musicians ever, together as JT

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 02:03
together they are magnificent, but when it's time to choose > IA one of the most charismatic figures on modern prog/rock history!

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 02:49
Martin is a fine guitarist, but he was merely an extension of Ian Anderson's own fingers.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 02:54
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

Martin is a fine guitarist, but he was merely an extension of Ian Anderson's own fingers.

This. It is a fact that Ian Anderson is virtually left-handed now, so I would go for the third option.

-------------

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 02:57
Good point! Though what I meant of course is that Martin simply played what Ian told him to.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 06:57
Martin Barre. Anderson, I couldn't care less.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 10:38
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I  have seen Tull a dozen times, and it is clear that Ian is the leader of the band - songwriter, singer, arranger, frontman, performer.  Barre has had an influence on the overall sound, though, and has provided his own hand at arrangements.  Neither by themselves could be true Tull, but both by themselves would be interesting.  I voted for Martin (first one!) because I have a darned good idea of what Ian would do, but not how Martin would approach it.  Who would sing?  What Tull songs would they perform?  What old band members would be present?  Would there be Martin solo material (Tull has performed Ian solo material)?  Who would handle the acoustic sections of classic Tull songs?  Indeed, could any but Ian perform those sections properly?  And would Martin play the flute (which he has done with Tull, but I don't think he has ever performed)?  I know what to expect from Ian.  But Martin?  Could be anything. 

Pretty much the way I feel. I've seen Tull (please consider that I've been a Tull fan since 1972) many, many times, so I'm pretty much sure what Ian will do, and now that his voice is practically gone, I think I would rather see Martin's version of Tull's material, not because I prefer him over Ian, but for the fact that it would be interesting to see how he plays and re-interprets Tull's music.

Once I saw Martin playing the flute with Tull in concert, in a duo with Ian playing Bouree, and it was quite good. I know Martin also loves to play the saxophone, so it would be great to see him on sax too.

Posted By: refugee
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 11:11
JT without Anderson would be like VdGG without Hammill (I know some of you would actually prefer thatAngry). Then again his voice is not at all what it used to be, so I wouldn’t spend my money on a JT concert. Luckily I’ve already seen them with both Anderson and Barre.

-------------
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 13:58
I'd happily see both as solo artists, just to see how they compared to them together as Tull.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 16:59
I'd honestly like to see both, Ian mainly for his antics and Barre mainly for the less played JT tunes.

If I had to choose one or the other, Ian by a hair of the hare.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 17:46
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I'd honestly like to see both, Ian mainly for his antics and Barre mainly for the less played JT tunes.

If I had to choose one or the other, Ian by a hair of the hare.

Same.

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 18:43
They are like left and right hands. They belong together.

Once you've seen them as Tull, as I have been fortunate to do 3 times, I don't think I'd want to see them apart.

Nostell Priory festival 1982 was one of the greatest gigs of my life - Marillion, Huang Chung (less said about them the better), Lindisfarne, The Blues Band and Tull, all washed down by gallons of Theakston's real ale. The f*****g awful hangover next morning was actually worth it.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 18:48
There's no Jethro Tull without Ian Anderson

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 19:45
I haven't been able to see Jethro Tull, and though (of course) I would much rather see Tull with both of them, if there is only the option to see one of them, I guess I prefer Ian Anderson. Still, if I could see them both separatley, perhaps I would do that too. First, there's the question of whether any of them are coming to Mexico any time soon, then I would have to be able to spend the money to see them.

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: December 14 2011 at 03:35

Date Posted: December 14 2011 at 03:46
No I haven't gone silent! Apologies for the Marcel Marceau post above!

In relation to the topic. Ian Anderson in my opinion has become increasingly irritating.

He refuses to admit that his vocals are sub-standard.

He refuses to record and release any NEW Tull material.

A large number of Tull fans including me believe that Tull should have released an instrumental album that would have defined the new century/millenium but he hasn't.

Martin Barre's last solo all instrumental album "Stage Left" was truely exceptionally great, while Anderson's last solo effort "Rupi's Dance" was a monumental stinker (IMHO).

Martin is an innovator...I mainly go to Tull concert's to see and hear Martin and the obligatory new Tull instrumental that is always played at a Tull concert sans IA is always a treat. No exception when I saw them earlier this year in Melbourne.

Anderson was an innovator.......now he isn't.

But I am still dreaming of that 21st Century all instrumental tull album that fill a whole Blu-Ray disc! Now that would be something.

Long live Martin Barre!

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: December 14 2011 at 07:04
Tull is Ian Anderson like it or not. He's written almost all the material and can do what he wants. I've seen him on tour with his backing band and except for his voice the Tull material was very, very good. It's too bad he and Martin have finally split, but Anderson is Tull. I'd probably see him if he toured around here, but I'd also see Martin on tour as I love his playing.

Posted By: resurrection
Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 12:08
I'll second that opinion

Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 20:22
Is there any official announcement regarding the split of Martin from Tull? I've looked at both Tull and Martin's websites, but I have not found any news about Martin not being with Tull anymore.

I know Martin has his own band now, but he has not said "I'm not longer with Tull", neither has Ian, as far as I know. Anyone knows about this? 

Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 23:08
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Is there any official announcement regarding the split of Martin from Tull? I've looked at both Tull and Martin's websites, but I have not found any news about Martin not being with Tull anymore.

I know Martin has his own band now, but he has not said "I'm not longer with Tull", neither has Ian, as far as I know. Anyone knows about this? 

There is an obvious parting at the moment. 2012 looks like the first year since 1969 in which Martin will not perform with Tull. It could be just a sabbatical for MB...they (Tull) just have to put out another album and no-one but Martin will be the guitarist for them if they release THAT long-awaited studio album.

Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 22:42
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

There is an obvious parting at the moment. 2012 looks like the first year since 1969 in which Martin will not perform with Tull. It could be just a sabbatical for MB...they (Tull) just have to put out another album and no-one but Martin will be the guitarist for them if they release THAT long-awaited studio album.

Actually, a few years ago, when Martin moved to Canada, Ian decided to tour without him, even though the tour was called "Ian Anderson plays the music of Jethro Tull", Martin was not part of it. 

Same with 2012, when "Thick as a Brick" will be played in it's entirety, it has not been announced as a Jethro Tull tour, but Ian Anderson playing the entire album, with band and orchestra. So it seems that Martin is not officially out of the band.

Unfortunately, it's quite doubtful that Tull will release a new album, since Ian Anderson refuses, for some very personal reasons, to put the effort to record new material, choosing to tour instead, destroying whatever vocal chords he has left in the process, and putting some quite uninspiring and kind of dull performances (this coming from a long time fan like myself). I hate to admit it but I never expected to see my favorite band end up like this.

Posted By: trackstoni
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 02:45
    i would go to see Ian , if they have both concerts at the same time , but if not , i can see both !

-------------
Tracking Tracks of Rock

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: December 21 2011 at 10:50
Ian Anderson is the lifeblood of Martin Barre for a start.

Posted By: spknoevl
Date Posted: December 22 2011 at 07:30

I wouldn't mind seeing either of them as solo artists playing their own material with the occasional Tull tune, but as far as going to a concert billed as Jethro Tull, or the music of Jethro Tull, I'd want to see them both together.

I wasn't aware that Martin Barre had a solo release, I'll have to check it out.

-------------
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick

Posted By: Nrwhmr
Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 16:50
Anyone seen Martin Barre in concert? What's the experience like?

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 12:39
Ian Anderson absolutely. This like you ask a question about "Brain and Heart" in human buddy!! Both are very important but Brain control all parts of buddy plus make senses,Feelings,Emotions, and ... 
Ian Anderson is Brain of JT 

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 13:37
Barre, who should be playing with the egotistical Anderson instead of gigging on his own. He's as good as he ever was , and still loves playing live. WTF? Confused

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 14:05
Will not seem them unless they are together. I don't care if he is Tull, it's not the same. That said, I do like the solo works and do have a couple of them on vinyl, but I will not see them alone.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 15:20
Honest Dave Pegg.

-------------

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 17:42
I do hope that they will get together for one last JT tour. It's just not JT without MB on guitar. JMHO.

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 18:00
I think both of their solo careers are weak, but Jethro Tull seems to have the right chemistry. Ian Anderson is more driven but not incredibly talented compared to someone like Fripp or Howe. Martin Barre is really not in the same league as most other guitarists of the time either. He sometimes gets a nice tone, but doesn't seem to be versatile. He isn't a technical player, but isn't a strong musical character in the band either (everything he plays is entirely modal), so Ian over Martin any day.

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 01:20
I would see a reformed Tull with at least these two guys. Bring in some old blood and even better.

-------------

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: March 24 2015 at 18:00

Ian Anderson.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 01:40
Divorce is always tough, especially for the fans.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 05:14
well IAN got my vote. would be great to see both men in TULL...

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk