Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83542
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 11:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Grateful Dead??
Posted By: Terrarium
Subject: The Grateful Dead??
Date Posted: December 17 2011 at 13:59
Anyone into The Dead on here? I noticed in the Psychedelic/space rock section they're not even mentioned, and they were def the seminal psychedelic rock band of the US. Certainly they have moderate prog rock elements, but far more then Jefferson Airplane ever did. Their live material, structurally, is so similar with prog-rock its crazy. Terrapin Station was the song that turned me on, coming at it from a prog-rock nerd viewpoint, it's a 17-mn musical suite that's just awesome.

Much of their stuff is in no way prog-rock, it's rootsy blues, folk, bluegrass style country rock, but their live psychedelic shows are just mind-blowing, epic, legendary pieces of music. The difference being, it's improvized like jazz-fusion, not pre-written like Pink Floyd records.

Replies:
Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: December 17 2011 at 15:05
the only album of theirs I like is 'terrapin' station'. It has nice melodies, far from the chaos of their debuts.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: December 17 2011 at 15:28
I like a lot of their jams.
Blues For Allah and Terrapin Station are the only albums of theirs that I like enough to own.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 17 2011 at 16:02
Every car should have one

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: December 17 2011 at 17:03
Sorry, I'm going to have to move this thread to General Music Discussions.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 17 2011 at 19:33
I've only got Terrapin Station and Anthem Of The Sun on CD.  Saw them live a couple of times.  Good enough for me.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: December 17 2011 at 19:49
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Every car should have one

x2

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: December 17 2011 at 20:24
I like Workingman's Dead but otherwise heartily loathe the Grateful Dead Dead

-------------

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: December 22 2011 at 07:08
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Sorry, I'm going to have to move this thread to General Music Discussions.

Along with the other 28 threads dedicated to the Grateful Dead over the years...

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: December 24 2011 at 08:55

The anti-Dead backlash on PA is undeniable....something smells Phishy.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: FlemmingV
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 12:32
I like the  'Dark Star' piece from the Live/Dead album. It is a psycedelic epic which have a lot of improvisations, a nice and recognisable theme and a fantastic climax. The piece's atmosphere is great. I use to listen to it with lights low and perhaps a glass of wine. This piece tells all about the group in the time. 

I also like the album "Blues for Allah", with its Fusion leanings, and the proggy Terrapin Station.

Regards FlemmingV

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 12:36
I like the Dead. However, I notice a lot of people on PA only talk about jam bands' studio albums. The thing is with Grateful Dead, Phish, moe., String Cheese Incident, even Umphrey's McGee (who make good studio albums), it's ALL ABOUT the live shows, and that is where the magic is.

I'm a big fan of the late-70s Dead, where the jams were spacey and funky. Similar to how Phish were funky during their 97-98 period.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 15:21
I'm a recent convert.  I used to hang out with people who loved listening to them all the time, and it just sounded so boring and uninteresting to me.  I didn't hate it, but didn't really enjoy it either.  Then about a year ago, a friend loaned me their entire studio album catalog (with recently-appended bonus live material), and I decided one week to listen to it from start to finish at work and see how it went.   I already had a "working knowledge" of their catalog but wasn't yet too good about attaching songs to song names to albums.

Before long, I realized it was music that made me happy. The early improvisational/experimental stuff like Anthem of the Sun and Dark Star gave me a soft platform for my mind to wander and drift.   The countryish stuff on Workingman's Dead and American Beauty were a much harder sell (I despise country music), but I was still able to enjoy it in a toe-tapping, head bobbing capacity.  Then they went more jazzy and got more sophisticated composition and recording techniques (I'm not going to call it prog or even prog-inspired)  with Wake of the Flood through Terrapin, and I probably liked that stuff the best.  Even stuff that everyone hates like Go to Heaven have gotten repeated spins accompanied by comfort and smiles.

They're a band that wants to be your friend, that's the best way I can put it.  Once I let my guard down and let them into my life, they entertained me in lots of ways.  It's definitely a convenient band to like, because there's no end to the collection of live recordings, each with their own little personality stamp, that you can enjoy and discover.  So I'm glad I like them now.  They're an easy band to like.  An easy band to hate, too.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 11:10
Bobby goes down at Further last night.  Hope he's OK. 

-------------

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 12:35
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I like Workingman's Dead but otherwise heartily loathe the Grateful Dead Dead

Me too. I'd rather save my money and then fly off to Ibiza or catch a Glastonbury Festival then be subjected to this kind of American music (Phish, Dave Matthews, Pearl Jam et al).

Posted By: Larree
Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 12:57
I saw the Grateful Dead play over 300 times between 1971 and 1995.  And that is not including all the times I saw the Jerry Garcia Band, too.  I still get out to see an occasional Rat Dog or Furthur show.  As a matter of fact, I just saw three Furthur shows over the last New Year's Eve weekend in San Francisco.  When people say "there is/was nothing like a Grateful Dead concert" they are telling you the truth.  No band on this planet can touch the Dead.

-------------
http://larree.ws" rel="nofollow - The Larree (dot) Website

Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 13:10
... And the Grateful Dead had the best sound quality of any band I ever saw live.  And I saw almost every great band there was to see back in the day.  And they even ALLOWED us fans to tape record their shows.  They even set up a special taper section so people could set up their recording equipment away from the noisier fans.  

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 13:12
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Bobby goes down at Further last night.  Hope he's OK. 

A few friends of mine have tickets for tonight's show.  

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 14:34
Okay.  Since some of you dig Terrapin Station here is the very first live performance at the San Bernardino Swing Auditorium on 2-26-1977.  I was there!

And here is the first complete performance of Terrapin Station in it's entirety at the Winterland Arena in San Francisco on 3-18-1977.  I was there!

And one more for sh*ts and grins.  The very first Estimated Profit also performed at the San Bernardino Swing on 2-26-1977.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 14:38
Larree, 74-77 were probably the peak of the live shows, don't you think?  They seemed a bit tighter and the material more challenging. 

American Beauty remains my favorite album and I think one of  the greatest Americana albums of all time.  I can't take a road trip without having that one with meSmile

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 15:01

Larree, 74-77 were probably the peak of the live shows, don't you think?  They seemed a bit tighter and the material more challenging. 

American Beauty remains my favorite album and I think one of  the greatest Americana albums of all time.  I can't take a road trip without having that one with meSmile

I definitely agree.  I would even extend that live concert run into 1978.  After Keith and Donna had their fight on stage and were thrown out of the band and Brent joined they seemed to get a little bit loose but still had some great shows.  Nothing like 1977, though.  That year was the high point, for sure.

American Beauty is one of my favorite's, too.  Box of Rain is my favorite song most days of the week.  And I love Workingman's Dead as much as American Beauty.  American Beauty/Workingman's is the Dead's equivalent to the Beatles Rubber Soul/Revolver.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 15:09
I'll have to listen to Workingmans again, it's been too long.  But yes those two are a combo package and showed the band in one amazing songwriting stretch. 

Wish I could have seen them in the 70s.  My only concert was '86 on the Haagen Daaz coma tour with Dylan....not a great show.  But hey, at least I have the Grateful Dead movie to enjoy!Big smile 

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 15:32

I'll have to listen to Workingmans again, it's been too long.  But yes those two are a combo package and showed the band in one amazing songwriting stretch. 

Wish I could have seen them in the 70s.  My only concert was '86 on the Haagen Daaz coma tour with Dylan....not a great show.  But hey, at least I have the Grateful Dead movie to enjoy!Big smile 

I saw them with Dylan at Anaheim Stadium.  It was fair.  I love the Dead movie, too!  And there are a lot of cool videos on youtube.

And yes!  The songwriting.  The Dead wrote so many amazing songs.  I think a lot of Dead haters would probably love to hear Dead songs if the songs were cut by other artists.  They are kind of like Dylan in that way.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 17:20
I love the '74 - '77 period shows.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 17:39
There's a few really choice Dick's Picks from that era.....thank God for that series.  I never would have appreciated the Dead to the degree I do without those shows.  

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 18:08
Anthem, AoxomoxoA and Live Dead are my Dead.  Blues For Allah is also amazing...........hmmm, even Wake Of The Flood with its rustic feel.  American Beauty has some terrific toons as well.  Can't go around amassing any more Dead albums coz life's too short...........

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 01:04

Lesh's 'Unbroken Chain' (from the Mars Hotel album) is fantastic.  Almost a Prog track.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 01:42
My 3 fav albums from them are The Grateful Dead from The Mars Hotel, Live / Dead and Blues for Allah

Of course they ought to have their place in PA, but ...

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 02:56
Just keeping this Dead-thread alive LOL.
Any folks have a favourite GD keyboardist ?? 
Let's see :  Pigpen (Ron McKernan) - blues styled
                     T.C. (Tom Constanten) - avant-garde
                     Keith Godchaux - more jazz oriented than anything
                     Brent Mydland - straight ahead 'Rock' styling
Then I guess they had Vince Welnick helping out but I haven't heard any post-Mydland recordings.  Actually, the last album I have of theirs is the triple Live album 'Without A Net'.  Brent's rather 'plasticky' piano sound grates on me after a while and kills every intention of me listening to the entire thing in one fell swoop, but the other members are sounding great. 
Loving Quicksilver Messenger Service a bit lately as well.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 07:16
I've been thinking about my answer for a long time, and I still don't have a good answer.  I feel like I should have an opinion on this, but I just don't.  Keyboards have always kind of been a background thing for the Dead.  Each of them made their subtle but substantial contributions to the group while they were there, and pretty much helped define the various eras the band went through.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 13:43
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Anthem, AoxomoxoA and Live Dead are my Dead.  Blues For Allah is also amazing...........hmmm, even Wake Of The Flood with its rustic feel.  American Beauty has some terrific toons as well.  Can't go around amassing any more Dead albums coz life's too short...........

That works for me.....but I usually will play Aoxomoxoa the most , but I have to be in a 'certain mood'.  

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 19:04
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

That works for me.....but I usually will play Aoxomoxoa the most , but I have to be in a 'certain mood'.  
AoxomoxoA - there are 2 versions of this album - original mix, and a 1971 re-mix.  They both have their pros and cons.  A story here : I originally had purchased the 1971 re-mix album back in the late 80's and, to cut a long story short, after a few years, I accidentally dropped a 'Boss' bass-pedal right on the album (butter-fingers.....) and it virtually cracked in half (the record, not the pedal) Cry.  It took me several years to come across another copy, this time, lo and behold, a French pressing with the GD writing in white (not the black heading) and the original mix - for a measley 7 bucks.  Really, a treasure to enjoy.  'What's Become Of The Baby' is so way different and superior to the re-mix.  I do recall on the later version, Lesh's bass was more up-front, but the original is superb.  And I am always in that 'certain mood' these days - permanently.................(no quite a Barrett case luckily.........).......

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 19:26
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I've been thinking about my answer for a long time, and I still don't have a good answer.  I feel like I should have an opinion on this, but I just don't.  Keyboards have always kind of been a background thing for the Dead.  Each of them made their subtle but substantial contributions to the group while they were there, and pretty much helped define the various eras the band went through.
Yes, well, they each had stamped their own personality on the music.  Pigpen played well (despite his anything-but-a-keyboard-player image LOL), T.C. was a serious experimentalist who worked wonders on the 'Anthem....' album.  I guess the most technically proficient player was Keith - he had such a varied rig, adding lots of textures to the band's sound.  Brent was better in the earlier days ('Dead Set' is a good example) but eventually just stuck to piano and Hammond.  Actually, I recall reading something from an interview where Brent said something like this -  The music of Grateful Dead is so spontaneous and spur-of-the-moment that by the time he programmed suitable sounds on his keyboards (he did have a mini-moog and some polysynths) the band had moved into another territory..........  I can agree with him 110 %. 
Welnick was in 'The Tubes' and guested with Todd Rundgren - I never liked his approach, nor do I think anything of Bruce Hornsby (bland city for me).  Anyway, it is difficult to single out any of their keyboardists - perhaps Keith was the one who was into the keyboards most.......?

Date Posted: May 13 2013 at 15:21

AoxomoxoA - there are 2 versions of this album - original mix, and a 1971 re-mix.  They both have their pros and cons.  A story here : I originally had purchased the 1971 re-mix album back in the late 80's and, to cut a long story short, after a few years, I accidentally dropped a 'Boss' bass-pedal right on the album (butter-fingers.....) and it virtually cracked in half (the record, not the pedal) Cry.  It took me several years to come across another copy, this time, lo and behold, a French pressing with the GD writing in white (not the black heading) and the original mix - for a measley 7 bucks.  Really, a treasure to enjoy.  'What's Become Of The Baby' is so way different and superior to the re-mix.  I do recall on the later version, Lesh's bass was more up-front, but the original is superb.  And I am always in that 'certain mood' these days - permanently.................(no quite a Barrett case luckily.........).......

My vinyl copy is an original purchased about 6 months  after it came out so I assume it's the orignal mix..?
Confused

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 03:29

My vinyl copy is an original purchased about 6 months  after it came out so I assume it's the orignal mix..?
Confused
Must be !!  If it has Lesh's bass chords and the A-Cappella bit at the end of 'Doin' That Rag' then for sure it's the original (they left that completely off the re-mix).  Far more spontaneous and psychedelic overall.  And you're so lucky to have been around for its release.  I wasn't even thought of then.  I absolutely love that album - kicks the ass off a lot of Prog really. The Airplane's 'After Bathing At Baxter's' is easily as good, and Quicksilver's debut.  I wish I lived in the States................

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 10:15

Confused
Must be !!  If it has Lesh's bass chords and the A-Cappella bit at the end of 'Doin' That Rag' then for sure it's the original (they left that completely off the re-mix).  Far more spontaneous and psychedelic overall.  And you're so lucky to have been around for its release.  I wasn't even thought of then.  I absolutely love that album - kicks the ass off a lot of Prog really. The Airplane's 'After Bathing At Baxter's' is easily as good, and Quicksilver's debut.  I wish I lived in the States................

I was born in '51 so I was lucky enough to be around when all the great classic stuff began and developed.
I like the early Dead stuff but after Blues for Allah I kinda gave up on them....
I really like the Airplane much better...all of the early ones up to and including Blows Against The Empire.After that I kinda gave up on them too. Saw the original Jefferson Airplane at IU college in 1972 (outdoor event) along with the Byrds (minus Crosby) and Richie Havens, and BB King.
Saw some decent bands at school in those days. One of my most memorable was The James Gang with Joe Walsh.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 13:15

Confused

I was born in '51 so I was lucky enough to be around when all the great classic stuff began and developed.
I like the early Dead stuff but after Blues for Allah I kinda gave up on them....
I really like the Airplane much better...all of the early ones up to and including Blows Against The Empire.After that I kinda gave up on them too. Saw the original Jefferson Airplane at IU college in 1972 (outdoor event) along with the Byrds (minus Crosby) and Richie Havens, and BB King.
Saw some decent bands at school in those days. One of my most memorable was The James Gang with Joe Walsh.
That's so cool !!  me, I'm a product of '72, making me unlucky to be around for hideous things such as Starship (LOL), Spandau Ballet and Culture Club - but I've caught up over the years. 
Blows Against The Empire is a really good album - I still love Long John Silver and Baron Von Tollbooth a lot. I've gone all the way with the Jefferson albums, they were still half-decent whilst Kantner was there.  Grace Slick was so hot back in the day Embarrassed
I know what you mean regarding the Dead after Blues For Allah - I thought their choice for songs like 'Dancin' In The Streets' was a bit dubious.  I ditched a lot of post-Allah albums from my collection ages ago. 

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: June 27 2013 at 18:51
k so I want some album suggestions
So far I've heard everything from Anthem of the Sun to American Beauty, Blues for Allah, and Skeletons from the Closet, and my favorites from those have been Blues for Allah, Live/Dead, and American Beauty.
Try to recommend me something based on that, or anything you think is really exceptional.

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Date Posted: June 27 2013 at 22:17
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

k so I want some album suggestions
So far I've heard everything from Anthem of the Sun to American Beauty, Blues for Allah, and Skeletons from the Closet, and my favorites from those have been Blues for Allah, Live/Dead, and American Beauty.
Try to recommend me something based on that, or anything you think is really exceptional.

That's their best period imo..up to Blues For Allah.........I personally like Aoxomoxoa and Mars Hotel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKxERfgSWkw" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKxERfgSWkw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOhhmqAJwDY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOhhmqAJwDY

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 27 2013 at 22:23
Wake?  Workingman's?  Terrapin? 

for live, Dead Set and Reckoning, or maybe Europe '72

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: June 28 2013 at 03:36
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

or anything you think is really exceptional.

The Closing of Winterland (dvd)

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: June 29 2013 at 23:42
I love the Dead...but am unusual in that I like their studio albums much more than the live ones.  AOXOMOXOA, Workingman's, American Beauty, Wake of the Flood, and my favourite - Mars Hotel are all excellent.  I always considered "Unbroken Chain" and "China Doll" to be prog tracks and laughingly refer to the Dead as my favourite prog-boogie bandLOL 

As far as live, it took a long time but I did find a couple albums that I love, "100 Years Hall" and the 4CD "Live at the Fillmore East".  I find I don't really care for Mickey Hart and the 2 drummer thing they did and both these live albums feature Bill Kreutzman as the only drummer which works for me.

As far as the Dead keyboard question that's floating around.  I much prefer Pigpen's organ work over all the others.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: ESHWOR KC
Date Posted: July 01 2013 at 23:45
Grateful Dead was an American  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_band" rel="nofollow - rock band  formed in 1965 in  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palo_Alto,_California" rel="nofollow - Palo Alto, California . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead#cite_note-1" rel="nofollow - [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead#cite_note-musicbox-2" rel="nofollow - [2]  The band was known for its unique and eclectic style, which fused elements of  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music" rel="nofollow - rock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_music" rel="nofollow - folk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluegrass_music" rel="nofollow - bluegrass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues" rel="nofollow - blues http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggae" rel="nofollow - reggae http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_music" rel="nofollow - country , improvisational  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz" rel="nofollow - jazz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock" rel="nofollow - psychedelia , and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_rock" rel="nofollow - space rock , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead#cite_note-3" rel="nofollow - [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead#cite_note-4" rel="nofollow - [4]  and for live performances of long  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_improvisation" rel="nofollow - musical improvisation . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead#cite_note-encyclobrit1-5" rel="nofollow - [5] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead#cite_note-rockhallgd1-6" rel="nofollow - [6]  "Their music," writes  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Kaye" rel="nofollow - Lenny Kaye , "touches on ground that most other groups don't even know exists." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead#cite_note-livedeadrs1-7" rel="nofollow - [7]  These various influences were distilled into a diverse and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic" rel="nofollow - psychedelic  whole that made the Grateful Dead "the pioneering Godfathers of the  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_band" rel="nofollow - jam band  world." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead#cite_note-8" rel="nofollow - [8]  They were ranked 57th in the issue The Greatest Artists of all Time by  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stone" rel="nofollow - Rolling Stone magazine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead#cite_note-rollstone-9" rel="nofollow - [9]  They were inducted into the  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame" rel="nofollow - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame  in 1994 and their Barton Hall Concert at Cornell University (May 8, 1977) was added to the Library of Congress's National Recording Registry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead#cite_note-10" rel="nofollow - [10]  The Grateful Dead have sold more than 35 million albums worldwide.

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: July 01 2013 at 23:51
^ Exactly. My favourite combo. Stern Smile

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: July 03 2013 at 15:26
I am a little reluctant to get into the Dead.  Their vast back catalogue has the capability of bankrupting me! When I get into a band I tend to go the whole hog (much to the chagrin of my wife!!).  However, I have been listening to the album 'Nightfall of Diamonds' which is a recording of a 1989 concert, and it sounds great to me.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: July 03 2013 at 22:23
Volumes 3 and 7 of the DP series are my faves, fwiw

-------------

Posted By: By--Tor
Date Posted: July 09 2013 at 01:41
American Beauty is one of the all time great albums. It was the first Dead album I ever heard and to this day its the one I still listen to the most.

Date Posted: July 10 2013 at 01:37
Originally posted by By--Tor By--Tor wrote:

American Beauty is one of the all time great albums. It was the first Dead album I ever heard and to this day its the one I still listen to the most.
Yeah - wow, Sugar Magnolia, Ripple, Attics of my Life - they sure knew how to write a song.  Precious album for sure, but AoxomoxoA is my obsession with them (or Live Dead).
There's some really good tracks on 'Shakedown Street' too - the title song is one of my faves.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk