Print Page | Close Window

I grieve the passing of Kim Jong-il because....

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: General Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83600
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 06:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: I grieve the passing of Kim Jong-il because....
Posted By: toroddfuglesteg
Subject: I grieve the passing of Kim Jong-il because....
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 11:55
So why are you crying your eyes out today because our dear leader has departed from his planet ? Vote, please. 

Replies:
Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 12:04
Hmm, no 'Other' option..?

I mourn his passing for two reasons:

a) His incredible sense of style. He was not afraid to wear the same khaki overalls for decades. Loved the Roy Orbison specs too.

b) His contribution to the North Korean prog rock scene. His band 'Wistful Tyranny' were the only band in rock history, to actually shoot real people on stage. Blimey, not even Kiss or Alice done that!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 12:34
Eh???LOL
He was a fun guy.  I do seriously wonder if things will get better for the people or if it will be more of the same.  One of those adios, don't let the door hit you too hard in the butt on your way out kind of leaders.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 12:40
I suspect it will be more of the same or worse.  Interestingly, the articles talk of how North Koreans were taking to the streets mourning the death of their Dear Leader and how one newscaster reported his death with tears.  I'm not sure if there is any truth to these things that have been reported or if it is just state sponsored propaganda.  I imagine that there may actually be some citizens that are genuinely saddened by his death but with what we are told of what goes on in North Korea, that really is hard to imagine.

-------------

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 12:43
Please remember that this is a global site, we respect all nationalities here. While I'm sure there is a political discussion to be had, please respect the fact that it is likely that we have people from North Korea or who have connections with that country among our membership, who will be upset by the news.

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 12:43
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I suspect it will be more of the same or worse.  Interestingly, the articles talk of how North Koreans were taking to the streets mourning the death of their Dear Leader and how one newscaster reported his death with tears.  I'm not sure if there is any truth to these things that have been reported or if it is just state sponsored propaganda.  I imagine that there may actually be some citizens that are genuinely saddened by his death but with what we are told of what goes on in North Korea, that really is hard to imagine.

There's this too.

Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 12:47

It is possible that the video is staged, but it could be true.  Kind of just wonder if Wag The Dog newsmaking might be going on.

-------------

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 12:56

In his death, the people of NK can, SLOWLY, start getting back to normalcy.
While he was the big cheese, obviously he just lazed around while others did the work...and it's no secret that the Koreas hope to unify. Especially the North since they have been horribly impoverished since their dependence on other countries started drying up. First the USSR, then China, then the US/West....good thing they believe in the idea of Juche aka self dependence!!!!

Between that and what we've seen with Stalin and Mao...even though tyranny will continue the new wave of power will slowly, very slowly, shed the cult of personality and work to integrate them into normal society.

edit: Yes, not a slight on the people at all. People are the same regardless of location....we all are just trying to get through life, and make the best for ourselves and families. This will be a good thing for the country though, even if it takes quite a while.

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 13:09

It is possible that the video is staged, but it could be true.  Kind of just wonder if Wag The Dog newsmaking might be going on.

It's a combination of both, but mainly it's pretty genuine which was one of the surprises that I learned from reading about the lives of North Koreans. The same happened when il-sung died. 
Their normalcy is what they know and since NK society is very closed, then what little they have and what they know of the rest of the world is only what they are told. 

Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 13:41

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Please remember that this is a global site, we respect all nationalities here. While I'm sure there is a political discussion to be had, please respect the fact that it is likely that we have people from North Korea or who have connections with that country among our membership, who will be upset by the news.

First of all; ProgArchives is banned from North Korea (and some other countries) because they regard you and the rest of us as fascists, repressive barbaric monsters and enemies. So our ability to causing offense in Northern Korea or to any exiles is zero, zilch, nill. 

I also don't think it is our/the Admins calling to respect & honour genocidal dictators while we on an industrial scale disrespect and mock democratic elected heads of states and those nationalities who has elected them. Wink  

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 13:44
I think it's a shame. He would have made a very good head of my lot, HM Revenue & CustomsLOL

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 14:13

-------------

Time always wins.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 14:37
It has to be said that his supreme golfing skills will be missed.  He holds the record for 36 under par and 11 holes in one in a row!!  Tiger Wood eat your heart out!  Luckily for those golfers out there he is such a great leader that he voluntarily retired after this feat so that others could have a chance to win golfing tournaments!  

Incredible!

I suspect that where he is going he wont be ronery any more.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 14:41
He's dead?

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 14:41
Oh yes A joke for those  Brits out there who know Spike Milligans grave stone

What it will say on Kim's stone.

'I told you I was (Kim Jong) il !'

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 14:43
Well, here's this for all of us to enjoy.

http://kimjongillookingatthings.tumblr.com/" rel="nofollow - http://kimjongillookingatthings.tumblr.com/

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 14:49
I wonder what they are going to do with his dvd collection

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 16:20
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

There's this too.

I wonder how many of those people had guns pointed at them?

Seriously

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 16:22
If they're on camera they don't need guns aimed at them.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 16:22
Maybe Darth Maul was present and using the dark side on them.

-------------

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 17:30

The people of NK are forbidden to use the internet and the penalty for doing so is death, so I don't believe there will ever be a NK PA member.

Also, bless his sould for helping Japan in their famines!

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 17:33
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

The people of NK are forbidden to use the internet and the penalty for doing so is death, so I don't believe there will ever be a NK PA member.

There could be one monitoring your horrible Capitalist Pig Dog ways in an Embassy as we speakLOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 17:39
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

There could be one monitoring your horrible Capitalist Pig Dog ways in an Embassy as we speakLOL

It would be more likely to have the CIA doing that on these parts, but it is definitely a possibility. LOL

-------------

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 18:36
He saw every movie ever made.

And he HATED Alec Baldwin.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Date Posted: December 19 2011 at 21:14
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

There's this too.

I wonder how many of those people had guns pointed at them?

Seriously

I was thinking the same thing. Oh well.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 00:17
/\

Answer: none. You underestimate the power of State indoctrination.

-------------

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 00:45

What? People in North Korea are not even permitted http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/print/2011/04/north-korea-8217-s-digital-underground/8414/" rel="nofollow - to use the radio except for receiving official state broadcasts: if you read the article (which you should, it's very good), the government jams all other transmissions, although that doesn't stop people in Japan from trying. There is zero chance that anyone who manages to miraculously connect to the internet will log on to PA. Nor is there any chance that anyone outside of North Korea has the slightest amount of regard for the life of Kim Jong-il except for concern about the instability his death could cause. I cannot fathom what was going through your mind when you wrote that post.

I grieve because we have lost the possibility of http://bronibooru.mlponies.com/post/show/156" rel="nofollow - pony Korea .

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 00:46
I grieve his death because I adored him.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 00:48
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

What? People in North Korea are not even permitted http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/print/2011/04/north-korea-8217-s-digital-underground/8414/" rel="nofollow - to use the radio except for receiving official state broadcasts: if you read the article (which you should, it's very good), the government jams all other transmissions, although that doesn't stop people in Japan from trying. There is zero chance that anyone who manages to miraculously connect to the internet will log on to PA. Nor is there any chance that anyone outside of North Korea has the slightest amount of regard for the life of Kim Jong-il except for concern about the instability his death could cause. I cannot fathom what was going through your mind when you wrote that post.
I grieve because we have lost the possibility of http://bronibooru.mlponies.com/post/show/156" rel="nofollow - pony Korea .
Really, there is zero chance that anyone in NK knows what prog-rock is. Or rock. Or music. Or anything outside of how to behave each day in the way taught by the State.

-------------

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 00:50
They have illegal radios and dvd's/cd's. And even cell phones for those lucky enough to live in a border town with China
black market economy ftw!

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 01:18
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Really, there is zero chance that anyone in NK knows what prog-rock is. Or rock. Or music. Or anything outside of how to behave each day in the way taught by the State.
Well no, some party officials have internet access, and as Ric said some people manage some contact with the outside world. And I am not concerned about offending a party official. I would in fact pay money for the opportunity to tell one of them to hurry up and die an agonizing death.

Of the options, I would say the statues. I've always been a fan of flamboyance.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 01:21
^I still maintain that there is a zero chance that anybody in NK might have ever heard prog rock.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 01:25

^I still maintain that there is a zero chance that anybody in NK might have ever heard prog rock.
Yeah, I meant knowing about rock music at all. Man, wouldn't it be sad if the only things you could buy at those black markets was, like, KISS and Linkin Park CDs?

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 01:31
If those black markets manage to have Twisted Sister and Quiet Riot, I'd be surprised.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 02:01

Yeah, I'm no expert on what is banned in what countries and what nationalities exist here....but I find it extremely difficult to believe anyone who lives in NK can access this site (and yes, just as doubtful they even know what prog rock is!)

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 02:06

There are North Koreans, in Japan, Chine ect. But that not the reason why "we should respect all nationalities."
We just should !

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 02:08

Assuming that everyone he ever met during his early schooling in China or his tertiary education in Malta loathed him heartily (including the latter's Prime Minister Dom Mintoff, who invited him to stay as a guest on many occasions) then yes, no-one outside of North Korea has the slightest amount of regard for the life of Kim Jong-il

-------------

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 02:55
Whether or not PA is available in NK is irrelevant. The fact is that there may well be members of the site who are upset by the news. We set an example here by being all inclusive, and showing respect for our fellow members regardless of nationality, creed, religion., etc.

By making fun of the situation, we simply bring ourselevs down to a level which we seek to belittle others for.

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 03:36

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Assuming that everyone he ever met during his early schooling in China or his tertiary education in Malta loathed him heartily (including the latter's Prime Minister Dom Mintoff, who invited him to stay as a guest on many occasions) then yes, no-one outside of North Korea has the slightest amount of regard for the life of Kim Jong-il
While yes, he was a human being, I find it difficult to believe Kim Jong-il was a pleasant person to be around.  

By making fun of the situation, we simply bring ourselevs down to a level which we seek to belittle others for.
Yes, I am on the same level as a brutal dictator for something I said on an internet forum. Incidentally, RIP Hitler.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 04:06

Whether or not PA is available in NK is irrelevant. The fact is that there may well be members of the site who are upset by the news. We set an example here by being all inclusive, and showing respect for our fellow members regardless of nationality, creed, religion., etc.

The point is we does that every day, every hour. We do hurt people's feelings every day, every hour in the Off Topic forum in our debates on liberatism, Ron John Paul, Obama, Sarkozy, Blair, Putin, Merkel, Berlusconi and Cameron. And that without any wagging fingers from the Admins. In fact, the Admins really approve of people's feelings being hurt by pretty nasty comments about democratic elected heads of state they have voted for themselves. I got that on record, btw. But you only comes trundling along with a wagging finger when a sarcastic poll about Kim Jong-Il is being posted. 

So it is OK to mock democratic elected heads of state and their many followers on PA (and drive them off this site), but it is very offensive to mock dictators responsible for hideous genocides, consentration camps and gross repressions of a people. That is what we read from your statement. 

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 04:59
..the grand parade of lifeless packaging.....Shocked

Ease up friendsHug

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 05:01
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

The point is we does that every day, every hour. We do hurt people's feelings every day, every hour in the Off Topic forum in our debates on liberatism, Ron John Paul, Obama, Sarkozy, Blair, Putin, Merkel, Berlusconi and Cameron. And that without any wagging fingers from the Admins. In fact, the Admins really approve of people's feelings being hurt by pretty nasty comments about democratic elected heads of state they have voted for themselves. I got that on record, btw. But you only comes trundling along with a wagging finger when a sarcastic poll about Kim Jong-Il is being posted. 

So it is OK to mock democratic elected heads of state and their many followers on PA (and drive them off this site), but it is very offensive to mock dictators responsible for hideous genocides, consentration camps and gross repressions of a people. That is what we read from your statement. 

I agree. It's silly.

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 05:05
I personally don't give a toss for anyone upset by his death. 

So in short I agree with Torodd that Bob has got it wrong this time.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 05:14
I'm actually stunned to find out that Ron John Paul, Obama, Sarkozy, Blair, Putin, Merkel, Berlusconi and Cameron have all died suddenly. Thanks Torodd I did not know this.

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 05:17
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

I'm actually stunned to find out that Ron John Paul, Obama, Sarkozy, Blair, Putin, Merkel, Berlusconi and Cameron have all died suddenly. Thanks Torodd I did not know this.

As you know, the point was about hurting peoples feelings...not who died. This forum is one of the most decent and respectful ones around. I don't know why we always have to be worried about hurting peoples feelings or offending people. What is wrong with being offended anyway?

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 05:20
I find it remarkable that anyone would be hurt by comments made about any western political leader. Even among their most ardent supporters.

I can't imagine what goes on the minds of people who are that sensitive about remarks made about people they a) don't know and b) demonstrably don't give two flying sh!ts about them..

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 05:39
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I find it remarkable that anyone would be hurt by comments made about any western political leader. Even among their most ardent supporters.

Agree. But people, overly sensitive people, has been driven off PA by this and their exit has been approved by the same Admin who think we should not in any way offend followers of Kim Jong-Il and his son. That's my whole point. End of the matter from my side. 

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 05:49

Agree. But people, overly sensitive people, has been driven off PA by this and their exit has been approved by the same Admin who think we should not in any way offend followers of Kim Jong-Il and his son. That's my whole point. End of the matter from my side. 

Explain
Quote and their exit has been approved by the same Admin

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 05:54
To be fair I.m not sure EL had his Admin hat on. It is possible he was posting from his own opinion. After all, he didn't censure or block the thread in any way. Just a careful point was raised.

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 06:07
^ What?Confused you mean Easy Livin not me (I think)

but my whole point was that no-one starts life from the get go as a brutal, repressive dictator with an appalling human rights record - they become one (Henry understood that I think, and I assumed everyone else did too but I was clearly mistaken) I certainly wouldn't make disrespectful remarks about even a politician that I have very little regard for say, Margaret Thatcher 3 days after she had died.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 06:14
He was il his whole life, now he's dead.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 06:19

^ What?Confused you mean Easy Livin not me (I think)

but my whole point was that no-one starts life from the get go as a brutal, repressive dictator with an appalling human rights record - they become one (Henry understood that I think, and I assumed everyone else did too but I was clearly mistaken) I certainly wouldn't make disrespectful remarks about even a politician that I have very little regard for say, Margaret Thatcher 3 days after she had died.

EL = Easy Livin, always has done.Tongue

As for your second point. That is up to you but I maintain my right to be as disrespectful as i want to. So when Thatcher does die and I say "Good riddance to the old cow" don't be surprised.

-------------

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 06:50
I respect Kim Jong ill as a person because he recently died, and I also respect all the North Koreans whose sorrow for the loss of their Dear Leader is genuine and justified and therefore should not be made fun of. Smile

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 06:57
All of them, probably.

But the one that really worries me is "His son will probably be worse".

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 07:02

When someone is banned from this forum it's an Admin TEAM decision.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 07:25

While yes, he was a human being, I find it difficult to believe Kim Jong-il was a pleasant person to be around.  

Yes, I am on the same level as a brutal dictator for something I said on an internet forum. Incidentally, RIP Hitler.

I gut-laughed.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 07:36
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Explain
Quote and their exit has been approved by the same Admin

Sorry. I was unprecise. So let me be precise and also answer a more recent post by TheProgtologist too.

There has been some incidents of "you mock my political views so I am leaving this site" type of incidents over the last seven years here. All these huffing and puffing leavings has been applauded off the site by a certain admin.... and his applause has also been applauded by myself. A hell of a noise, btw. I think it is perfectly fine that the likes of Gingrich, Obama, Sarkozy, Merkel, Cameron, Perry and any other democratic elected politician get mocked in PA. Even those politicians I agree with deserves mocking here. This despite of me being offended too. But I deserve to be offended. 

None of those leaving PA was banned from PA. They became offended and left. Just like that.

What I don't understand is that the same Admin who did nothing when the followers of Cameron, Obama & Co was so offended that they left PA suddenly ask us not to offend the followers of a murdering despot like Kim Jong-Il. That is double standards in my world. It also opens up a can of worms for the Admins with wide ranging implications. 

But I am sure Bob did the same type of mistake as I did the morning when I got one liter of orange juice all over my trousers because I opened the wretched packaging at the wrong end. Life is complicated when having to put some thinking into it.   

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 07:42
"None of those leaving PA was banned from PA. They became offended and left. Just like that."

Sorry for misunderstanding you.I don't involve myself in the running of this site anymore and don't catch a lot of what happens here on a day to day basis.I am fiercely protective of my former colleagues on the admin team and am quick to jump to their defense,and that I will never apologize for.

-------------

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 07:43
Who?

I guess Australia did not give this headlines as I have no idea

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 07:44
I slit my wrists today in memory of Pol Pot... And all his fans. Resquiecat in Pace Ultima.

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 08:27

Sorry. I was unprecise. So let me be precise and also answer a more recent post by TheProgtologist too.

There has been some incidents of "you mock my political views so I am leaving this site" type of incidents over the last seven years here. All these huffing and puffing leavings has been applauded off the site by a certain admin.... and his applause has also been applauded by myself. A hell of a noise, btw. I think it is perfectly fine that the likes of Gingrich, Obama, Sarkozy, Merkel, Cameron, Perry and any other democratic elected politician get mocked in PA. Even those politicians I agree with deserves mocking here. This despite of me being offended too. But I deserve to be offended. 

None of those leaving PA was banned from PA. They became offended and left. Just like that.

What I don't understand is that the same Admin who did nothing when the followers of Cameron, Obama & Co was so offended that they left PA suddenly ask us not to offend the followers of a murdering despot like Kim Jong-Il. That is double standards in my world. It also opens up a can of worms for the Admins with wide ranging implications. 

It is unfitting of a collaborator to criticise and snipe at a fellow collaborator in the open forum. There is an " http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41403" rel="nofollow - Open letter to all collaborators " in the CZ [Collaborator discussions (General)] that I suggest you refresh yourself with the contents of - then I recommend you open a thread in the CZ so you can be a little more open and frank about what the hell it is you are on about, because I'm still completely mystified and none the bloody wiser from this more "precise" answer. Stern Smile

-------------
What?

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 09:19

I certainly wouldn't make disrespectful remarks about even a politician that I have very little regard for say, Margaret Thatcher 3 days after she had died.

I would.  I'm waiting for her to pop her clogs... hurry up!

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 09:24
Amazing how we can say anything we want about living political figures, but when they die we suddenly have to show utmost respect . It's like "you are free to speak about people as long as they're not dead".

Ok so anyone talking sh*t about Hitler or Stalin beter beware. You lost your chance to make jokes about them in 1945 and 1953 respectively.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 09:32

I can't imagine what goes on the minds of people who are that sensitive about remarks made about people they a) don't know and b) demonstrably don't give two flying sh!ts about them..

Indeed.  I find it really weird how anyone can get so upset about someone who they never met.  The amount of grief on show when Diana died was astounding and actually quite worrying.  I realise some of those grieving had met her or had been affected by her in some way (by her charitable endeavours) but not all of them.  It was very odd to me.

The same for Michael Jackson.

If one of my favourite musicians died tomorrow, I'd be upset.  I wouldn't go to their funeral procession though.  I would not grieve in public.  I'd be upset for a short while and would play their albums for a week maybe but that would be it.

If I was a good friend of them, that would be different though.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 09:55
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Indeed.  I find it really weird how anyone can get so upset about someone who they never met.  The amount of grief on show when Diana died was astounding and actually quite worrying.  I realise some of those grieving had met her or had been affected by her in some way (by her charitable endeavours) but not all of them.  It was very odd to me.The same for Michael Jackson.If one of my favourite musicians died tomorrow, I'd be upset.  I wouldn't go to their funeral procession though.  I would not grieve in public.  I'd be upset for a short while and would play their albums for a week maybe but that would be it.If I was a good friend of them, that would be different though.

I read an interesting article - many years ago - in a psychology journal, regarding the death of Diana, and the bizarre outpouring of public grief. The long and short of the article was not so much that people were grieving her death, but as soon as the suggestion was put out there by the media, that she was the 'peoples princess' and had a connection with the 'man on the street' the floodgates opened. At a time when cynicism of the royal fairly was probably at a peak, it's possible that the public show of grief would not have been so profound had it not been turned into a spectacle by the media. It's kind of ironic really, because the actual establishment hated her.

In any case, she was a good women, unlike the inbred vampire family she married into.

As for Jacko, he brought more joy to the world than any politican as far as I can see. I can more understand someone being very upset at the death of someone who made them happy, and gave them a soundtrack to their life, rather than some back stabbing psychopath in a suit, who had never done a days real work in his life.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 10:52

I certainly wouldn't make disrespectful remarks about even a politician that I have very little regard for say, Margaret Thatcher 3 days after she had died.

I would.  I'm waiting for her to pop her clogs... hurry up!
Pop her clogs?Tongue
I wasn't aware she was still alive.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 11:23
She very much is still alive.

Very frail though.

I'm hoping for some good news soon!  Hopefully before the year is out... I can dream!

Oh and "pop her clogs" is one of those weird British sayings.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 11:25

She very much is still alive.

Very frail though.

I'm hoping for some good news soon!  Hopefully before the year is out... I can dream!

Oh and "pop her clogs" is one of those weird British sayings.

It was her sister who got squished by a house falling on her...

-------------
What?

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 11:38
Oooohhh... that's disrespectful.
Smile

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 12:03

Indeed.  I find it really weird how anyone can get so upset about someone who they never met.  The amount of grief on show when Diana died was astounding and actually quite worrying.  I realise some of those grieving had met her or had been affected by her in some way (by her charitable endeavours) but not all of them.  It was very odd to me.

If one of my favourite musicians died tomorrow, I'd be upset.  I wouldn't go to their funeral procession though.  I would not grieve in public.  I'd be upset for a short while and would play their albums for a week maybe but that would be it.

I think this is a brilliant a well observed post. I feel exactly the same way about these appalling public displays of "grief", and those in the media poking fun at a clearly brainwashed population in N Korea should really look a little closer to home.

BTW, as for offending people, i have to say that poking fun at political leaders (dead or alive) and placing their antics in a satirical or offensive box is actually a very healthy thing in a democracy. The day we start worrying about offending people by doing this would be a sad one indeed - actually, the start of the long road towards totalitarianism.

-------------

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 12:18
A true statement if ever there was one, Lazland.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 12:22
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Smile
To whom?  L. Frank Baum?

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 12:24
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Smile
To whom?  L. Frank Baum?

To me. I was very fond of Maggie's sister. The Tungsten Lady.Cry

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 12:24
I won't dwell on this for long but unfortunately we're already entering a totalitarian world and I cannot see it changing any time soon.

Anyhow, back onto topic.

I don't grieve Kim Jong-il in any way.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 12:25
Was she not an only child?

I might be wrong here.  I don't really plan to check either.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 12:31

Who cares - it was a satirical joke, factual accuracy is not necessary.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 12:34

I don't grieve Kim Jong-il in any way.

And I'd wager no one outside the country does. Especially if you are North Korean.
Because if you're living in another country...there's a reason! You dont just leave NK...

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 12:35
Tungsten carbide drills?

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 12:53
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Who cares - it was a satirical joke, factual accuracy is not necessary.

Indeed. Big smile

-------------

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 13:32
All grieve the passing of the only leader who could be ready for a nuclear war against France. 

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 15:03
I do have rather strong feelings against France and envy anyone who can get into a nuclear war with them. Even if all those KJI statues are very nice to look at on holidays.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 15:47
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I think this is a brilliant a well observed post. I feel exactly the same way about these appalling public displays of "grief", and those in the media poking fun at a clearly brainwashed population in N Korea should really look a little closer to home.

BTW, as for offending people, i have to say that poking fun at political leaders (dead or alive) and placing their antics in a satirical or offensive box is actually a very healthy thing in a democracy. The day we start worrying about offending people by doing this would be a sad one indeed - actually, the start of the long road towards totalitarianism.

Here's an article on the whole grieving thing:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16262027" rel="nofollow -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16262027

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 16:20
^ Ha I read that earlier.Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 16:50

Here's an article on the whole grieving thing:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16262027" rel="nofollow -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16262027

I saw clips of this on the morning news and had to wonder how much of it was genuine or just for show.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 17:08
I found it by accident when going on the BBC site for something else. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 17:38
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I do have rather strong feelings against France and envy anyone who can get into a nuclear war with them. Even if all those KJI statues are very nice to look at on holidays.

Hmm.... that's an interesting statement. Ever been there, or just afraid of the unknown?

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 17:49
Don't cry for me North Korea.........

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 18:23
His son is bound to be less amusing.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 18:29
Alcoholism is in my future due to this...

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2011 at 22:23

-------------

Date Posted: December 21 2011 at 06:06
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Don't cry for me North Korea.........

I'll be singing that all bloody day nowLOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 21 2011 at 13:55
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Hmm.... that's an interesting statement. Ever been there, or just afraid of the unknown?

You don't need to have been in France to know that this country must be nuked to the ground.

Trust me.

Date Posted: December 21 2011 at 15:12
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

You don't need to have been in France to know that this country must be nuked to the ground.

Trust me.

Shocked
I really wanted to visit France.

-------------

Date Posted: December 21 2011 at 18:30

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2011 at 05:33
You want grief? I'll give you grief right from the motherland

http://www.uriminzokkiri.com/

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2012 at 18:39
Unclear on the Concept

The North Koreans called it a "cruise ship" and tried to establish a business model to attract wealthy tourists from China, but to the New York Times reporter on board in September, the 40-year-old boat was more like a "tramp steamer" on which "vacationers" paid the equivalent of $470 to "enjoy" five days and nights at sea. More than 200 people boarded the "dim" and "musty" vessel, "sometimes eight to a room with floor mattresses" and iffy bathrooms. The onboard "entertainment" consisted not of shuffleboard but of "decks of cards" and karaoke. Dinner "resembled a mess hall at an American Army base," but with leftovers thrown overboard (even though some of it was blown back on deck). The trip was capped, wrote the Times, by the boat's crashing into the pier as it docked, knocking a corner of the structure "into a pile of rubble." [New York Times, 9-13-2011] LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2012 at 18:39
Unclear on the Concept

The North Koreans called it a "cruise ship" and tried to establish a business model to attract wealthy tourists from China, but to the New York Times reporter on board in September, the 40-year-old boat was more like a "tramp steamer" on which "vacationers" paid the equivalent of $470 to "enjoy" five days and nights at sea. More than 200 people boarded the "dim" and "musty" vessel, "sometimes eight to a room with floor mattresses" and iffy bathrooms. The onboard "entertainment" consisted not of shuffleboard but of "decks of cards" and karaoke. Dinner "resembled a mess hall at an American Army base," but with leftovers thrown overboard (even though some of it was blown back on deck). The trip was capped, wrote the Times, by the boat's crashing into the pier as it docked, knocking a corner of the structure "into a pile of rubble." [New York Times, 9-13-2011] LOL

-------------

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: January 03 2012 at 19:04

Trust me.

http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2012/1/1/how-to-realize-what-was-really-happening-all-along.html" rel="nofollow - At last, the truth can be told!

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Date Posted: January 06 2012 at 07:52
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Trust me.

http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2012/1/1/how-to-realize-what-was-really-happening-all-along.html" rel="nofollow - At last, the truth can be told!

Do you want another terrible, ugly truth? I do am French (and I also like to butcher the English grammar, but let's say it's quite clean compared with my abilities to speak Spanish, Italian or Portuguese).

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: January 06 2012 at 08:20
How did those people come to follow those kind of leaders ?

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk