Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83779
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 23:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: And You and I vs. In the Presence Of
Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Subject: And You and I vs. In the Presence Of
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 00:14
These songs are very similar.  They're both by the same band, they're both love songs, they both have similar lengths, they're both suites, and they're both exquisitely beautiful.  But And You and I gets a lot of recognition on this site, while ITPO tends to get passed over, probably because it doesn't come from their "classic" era.  In my opinion, though, ITPO is up there with Yes' greatest songs.  Which is your favorite?

Replies:
Posted By: Sanmartinphase7
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 01:26
In the Presence Of is great and IMO the last great Yes piece, but And You And I is one of the finest pieces of music ever created, no contest for me.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 08:11
Originally posted by Sanmartinphase7 Sanmartinphase7 wrote:

In the Presence Of is great and IMO the last great Yes piece, but And You And I is one of the finest pieces of music ever created, no contest for me.

I agree with 95% of this.^Big smile

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 08:25
One of my fondest memories of listening to music as a pre-teen was listening in awe to the spacey sounds of AND YOU AND I. It sounded like no other song I'd ever heard. It *still* sounds like no other song I've ever heard. I don't think it's a perfect song. The lyrics never really touched me (I still don't know what he's singing about), and to be honest I could probably get rid of much of Jon Anderson's voice from the song; and the acoustic guitar bits (esp. the John Fahey-like oldtimey finger-pickin' towards the end) also seemed a bit out of place. And yet having said all that, I have to agree with the above statements about it being "one of the finest pieces of music ever created." I've always been so conficted about this song, loving it so much and yet wondering what it would sound like if it *were* a perfect song. (And I cannot even begin to imagine what it would sound like. The band got close, though.)

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 09:00
In The Presents Of.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 09:07
I've got Magnification but that one didn't make much of an impression on me.  I gave it a relisten but it doesn't measure up to And You And I.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 10:08
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've got Magnification but that one didn't make much of an impression on me.  I gave it a relisten but it doesn't measure up to And You And I.

This for sure......although giving Mag another listen would never change my mind.

-------------

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 10:17
I was floored when I heard Magnification.  I have been dutifully getting Yes albums for years with diminishing returns but Magnification really works for me.  Symphonic Live is even better.  That said, And You and I wins as some of the lyrics for ITPO are a bit clumsy.  Still an excellent song that I never thought I would here from Yes again.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 14:14
Indeed, "In the Presence of" is a great come-back to the kind of music Yes did in their best days, and it wouldn't sound out of place with any music they did in the 70's... but yet, "And you and I" is one of my favourite Yes songs. By the way, on "Live at Montreux" they played "In the Presence of" with Wakeman on keyboards, and the piano intro sounds so much more beautiful... shame they didn't manage to keep up to they symphonic parts of this song later on (sounding just weaker than the original...

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: December 27 2011 at 23:52
I was afraid this would be a landslide...Unhappy
I picked ITPO based on personal preference alone, because I can't objectively pick one over the other (and I did say "favorite" in the poll question).  I guess I just relate to it more.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: December 28 2011 at 00:35
And You And I is my favourite Yes song.

-------------

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: December 28 2011 at 05:47
And You and I.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: January 02 2012 at 02:27
Voted In the presence of.

Of course And you and I is one of the finest Yes songs, but ITPO gets my vote because :

- it's a fantastic example of brilliant Yes post-classic era
- it remembers me my first and only (and lost) love

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 03 2012 at 09:57
I have all of the Yes albums.... wasn't sure which album 'In the Presence of ' was on.... then found out it's magnification... there's nothing on that album even remotely close to 'And You and I'  in my books

-------------
Prog On!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk