Print Page | Close Window

Magenta Appreciation Thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83846
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 23:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Magenta Appreciation Thread
Posted By: rushfan4
Subject: Magenta Appreciation Thread
Date Posted: December 30 2011 at 08:52
A search of the database shows a number of pages regarding Magenta, but none appear to be an appreciation thread, so in honor of their new album Chameleon I have created an appreciation thread for their fans to discuss all things Magenta.  I am curious to see if there are any fans here in PA and what tidbits that I might learn about them.  I've had Metamorphosis for a while and love that album.  I have recently ran through the remainder of their discography via the magic of the internet and find myself falling in love with this band. 

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: December 30 2011 at 09:03
They've certainly grown a lot on me over the years. Not heard Chameleon yet though I'm sure I'll catch up sooner or later.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: December 30 2011 at 09:09
The trouble with fan threads for lesser known bands is that they tend to be very short.

BTW I love magenta and have seen them twice.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: December 30 2011 at 09:10

This has been posted elsewhere within PA, but if you aren't familiar with Magenta and would like to check them out, they have a Collection album available for free download here.  http://www.magenta-web.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.magenta-web.com/

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2011 at 09:13
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

The trouble with fan threads for lesser known bands is that they tend to be very short.

It won't be the first thread that I have created where I spend most of the time talking to myself, and it probably won't be the last.

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2011 at 09:16
Well I will help along.

I was a bit disappointed with Home but Seven and the first one  are epic!

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2011 at 09:17
Which is everyones favourite sin?

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2011 at 09:33
I've been guilty of all of them at one point or another.  I've only listen to Seven the one time this week.  Not sure which is my favorite.  I'm most familiar with Gluttony and Anger which were on their The Collection and so I have heard both of those more than once. 

-------------

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: December 30 2011 at 14:33
Magenta is cool because their female vocalist is cute. Their music is good too, though. I'm an idiot, so whenever I listen to them I imagine I'm listening to a more interesting incarnation of Paramore.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: December 30 2011 at 14:51
They're quiet good and i love them because they reminded me of Genesis and Yes. But i didn't enjoy a lot "Seven" and "Home+NY   Stories". I prefer "Revolutions" and "Metamorphosis". 

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: December 31 2011 at 10:52
Christina also has a solo album out called " Broken Lives and Bleeding Hearts".

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 03 2012 at 14:55
I've seen them 4 times . First one was at the now defunct London Astoria when they opened a prog festival. That can be the kiss of death but with nothing better to do I went and checked them out and was hooked straight away. There were so few watching I even made eye contact with the gorgeous Christina. I'm in here I thought (ha ha). That was just prior to the release of Seven which I was quick to buy when it became available. Loved it straight away. People will complain there are obvious (self acknowledged tbf) references to Entangled and other Genesis tracks but Rob Reed (who is a fan of The Sound Of Music) makes sure that the music is tight and melodic. The other ace in the hole that Magenta possess is Chris Fry. Now if Fry is not the most underated guitarist in prog then I'm a monkeys uncle. This guy is seriously good and in the bracket of a Steve Howe (or Hackett) for technical brilliance.

After discovering Seven I managed to get hold of their debut Revolutions. I would rate this as one of the best debuts of the last 20 years. Massively ambitious and a joy for anyone who likes expansive symphonic prog. I suspect there are those that find Seven a little too condensed compared to the debut and that might explain why they have failed to make the impact their talent warrants. Rob Reed is a very clever arranger and excellent keyboardist but has not been able to develop the sound and style beyond the debut album. As much as I like Metamorphosis it isn't anything new. Chameleon is a bit of a disappointment. Starts so well with Glitter Ball but goes nowhere fast.

For me:
Revolutions - 4 stars
Seven - 5 stars
Home - 2 stars
Metamorphosis - 4 stars
Chameleon - 3 stars

The live albums and DVD's are also very good. Live At The Point is the one I have on my I-pod and features a nice spread of their songs from commercial stuff like Speechless and the more ambitious tracks like The White Witch.

To sum up - Very pleasant expertly played melodic prog with lovely female vocals.

Posted By: elbownut
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 15:47
Just stumbled on this old thread

Late to the party, but saw Magenta for the first time at the HRH prog fesitval in Rotherham, UK back in April

Very impressed with their set

Have so far only got Seven but I love it. Christina's vocals are excellent. Like the nods to Yes/Genesis , but still something modern sounding IMO

Checking out their back catalogue and planning to see them live in September at the Robin 2 in Bilston

A new fan here

-------------
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"

Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 09:37
^ They've just reissued the underrated Metamophosis with bonus material so I would recommend getting that. The bonus material includes Rob Reed being interviewed and talking about the comparisons with Genesis (Entangled especially) that you mention.Very interesting.

Great live band 

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 11:10
I like what I have heard on You Tube etc...but never bought anything ......what's considered their best by Magenta fans?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 11:22
Seven

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 04:15
Ditto

..and best to get the reissued version with the longer 'Directors Cut' of Pride and a bonus DVD with live videos, interviews and the 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround mix.

btw the whole album is actually 79 minutes and only one track is under 10 minutes. Meaty stuff.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 04:29
Yep, make mine another vote for `Seven', but their `Live at Real World' DVD is just superb, my personal favourite. The acoustic reinterpretations work perfectly, and Christina is simply divine!

I've got one of those blue Magenta t-shirts, and a guy at work asked quite seriously (and rather confused too!) `Why is that band called Magenta, yet their t-shirt is blue....?'

Can't say I'd ever given it a moments thought until then, but he might be on to something!

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 04:49
Seven is the album that drew me in!

-------------

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 14:45
Not familiar with them, but from the looks I will have to check them out!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: tonyes
Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 07:38
New album the 27 Club to be released 1 Sep. http://www.magenta-web.com/

Date Posted: July 16 2013 at 01:08
^ta

Not sure the website is working at the moment. Seems to just be a homepage but nothing else. Always look forward to a new album by Magenta. Wonder if they will go for longer tracks this time?

Date Posted: July 16 2013 at 10:07
From Rob Reed - 27 Club will contain 6 songs ranging from 6mins to 14 mins, 4 over 11 mins long.

Checked the website and agree, not sure why it is like that. I'll ask around.

Date Posted: July 16 2013 at 10:30
Richard, Tonyes, I'm actually glad to read this, so it's not just me! I've had no luck with their website either, and this has been going on for well over a month too. A friend mentioned he wrote to them on the thier Facebook page about it, but got no reply.

Date Posted: July 31 2013 at 04:54
Website seems to be back up now http://www.magenta-web.co.uk/ Large ads for the new album which is available for pre order. I'm lucky enough to be going to the release party on 1 Sep, looking forward to it!

Just found this promo as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yidfGKTVtdo#at=31

Date Posted: August 03 2013 at 08:00
Andy Edwards (as already mentioned on the Prog news page) has joined for this album. Would love to know if he will take the drum stool on a more permanent basis. For those who don't know he played on IQ's massive Frequency album and must be one of the best English drummers currently. Plays with a very modest sized kit but boy can he play itSmile

Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 10:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Andy Edwards (as already mentioned on the Prog news page) has joined for this album. Would love to know if he will take the drum stool on a more permanent basis. For those who don't know he played on IQ's massive Frequency album and must be one of the best English drummers currently. Plays with a very modest sized kit but boy can he play itSmile

As I understand it Andy Edwards played in the studio, but Steve Roberts is still the live band drummer (he certainly was when I saw them in April). Similarly Rob Reed played bass on the new album, but presumably for the live shows Dan Nelson will return. However, I could be totally wrong. I'll let you know after 1 Sep when I next see them.

Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 10:37
How can this thread only be at two pages so far?! What a wonderful band!

I especially love their `Live at Real World' album, and I listen to it whenever I work nightshift, I think the band works incredibly well in the stripped down and more acoustic format. The DVD is even more sublime!

Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 15:02
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

How can this thread only be at two pages so far?! What a wonderful band!

I especially love their `Live at Real World' album, and I listen to it whenever I work nightshift, I think the band works incredibly well in the stripped down and more acoustic format. The DVD is even more sublime!

really nice DVD

have you got Chris Fry's solo album 'Composed'? Its also an acoustic album and very lovely.Clap

on the subject I'm a bit sad he won't be the bands permanent drummer but hey ho we will get and exceptional album I feel. Rob Reed has done well with recruiting drummers recently . Firstly Gavin Harrison for Kompendium and now Edwards. Got some good connections!

Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 15:10
Richard, I just got Chris's solo album off Ebay a little while back, but haven't listened to it yet! The vendor said I was able to squeeze one more CD in the packet, so I added `Composed'! I'll dig it out when I get home and report back after a few spins!   

`Kompendium'....now there's another LP I haven't given enough time to yet....I've got the wonderful vinyl copy as well. The last time it got played, it was really starting to work better for me, after initally being a little bland.

OK, so I've now got TWO Magenta related items to catch up on!

Date Posted: August 14 2013 at 01:14
Approve
enjoy!

Posted By: The-Winkler
Date Posted: August 14 2013 at 05:29
They're a great band and it has to be said the nicest people in Prog, I'm going to their album launch party in a few weeks for "The 27 Club" which could be their best yet

Date Posted: August 14 2013 at 06:31
Originally posted by The-Winkler The-Winkler wrote:

They're a great band and it has to be said the nicest people in Prog, I'm going to their album launch party in a few weeks for "The 27 Club" which could be their best yet

I'll be there too, really looking forward to it. Just joined the Area 27, which gives access to previews of some of the tracks - sounds great!

Posted By: The-Winkler
Date Posted: August 14 2013 at 07:21
Originally posted by tonyes tonyes wrote:

Originally posted by The-Winkler The-Winkler wrote:

I'll be there too, really looking forward to it. Just joined the Area 27, which gives access to previews of some of the tracks - sounds great!

Yes the Area 27 is excellent, might see you there

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 12 2014 at 03:31
I've given the 27 Club a sub-title .........
" I Think I've Died And Gone To Heaven "
This is some of the best modern Prog I've heard.
The whole package is beyond brilliant........my most played LP this year.
I hoping that the new Floyd will match up to this masterpiece.

Date Posted: November 12 2014 at 13:37
Tom >>>>>>>>>>> Metamorphosis

Date Posted: November 12 2014 at 22:53
^ I'm led to believe 'Seven' is the one to drool over..........
I have known Magenta for years but I don't buy CD's (arrogant vinyl-buff, yarda yarda yarda....)
....but 27 Club had a neat dbl LP release on Plane Groovy (they do superb vinyl editions), and this album really has gone to my head......I'm like someone who has just discovered the Holy Grail........
............the real one...........

Date Posted: November 13 2014 at 01:07
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ I'm led to believe 'Seven' is the one to drool over..........
I have known Magenta for years but I don't buy CD's (arrogant vinyl-buff, yarda yarda yarda....)
....but 27 Club had a neat dbl LP release on Plane Groovy (they do superb vinyl editions), and this album really has gone to my head......I'm like someone who has just discovered the Holy Grail........
............the real one...........

I think if memory serves me right that the songs for the 27 club were written at the same time as Metamorphosis which in my opinion is a much better album. Seven is the template album for Magenta and has many pleasing aspects in terms of melody and 'hooks' but actually Metamorphosis and their debut Revolutions are more interesting albums from a prog perspective as they feature mainly long tracks.

Date Posted: November 13 2014 at 01:36
I think I'll be biting the bullet and buying the CD's - not sure what vinyls are coming next, if at all.....
Christina is just beautiful in every way, but the backing musicians are just plain SUPERB . I wished that Andy Edwards was permanent.......he's soooooo good.

Date Posted: November 22 2014 at 02:16
Gotta bump this along .......
Doesn't seem to be much noise made about Magenta.
Rob Reed is superb on bass as he is on keys.......actually, there's some outstanding bass throughout 27 Club - 'Stoned' is just AMAZING.

Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 09:54

I think I'll be biting the bullet and buying the CD's - not sure what vinyls are coming next, if at all.....
Christina is just beautiful in every way, but the backing musicians are just plain SUPERB . I wished that Andy Edwards was permanent.......he's soooooo good.

Must have missed this post. Yes Andy is a superb drummer as aptly demonstrated on IQ's Frequency and Frost's Milliontown and quite likely many others as well.

Chris Fry though is the one I focus on. Truly brilliant guitarist and incredibly versatile.

Tom also highly recommended is the DVD ' Live at Real World' which features Magenta doing acoustic versions of their songs. Really nice stuff.

Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 13:18
^ Richard, I have the DVD's of Live At Real World & Live At The Point on my up-and-coming wish-list.
The reason I rave here is that, now I'm sure you have had similar experience, is that every once in a while, you discover an album that just overloads you with all the stuff you wish to hear ; perfect sounds, structures, instrumentation, voices, progressions, transitions........anyway, I have had a handful over the years, and 27 Club is the latest. Just perfect in every way to my ears.

Date Posted: November 24 2014 at 01:37
Very glad you like Magenta and the latest album. Sorry, but I forget where you are from , I assume not the UK? We really need to get you to a gigSmile

Date Posted: November 24 2014 at 02:35
I'm all the way 'Down Under'. I don't see Magenta hiking it to Australia in a hurry.....
And anyway, I'd probably be the proverbial 'limpet' that won't give 'em a second's peace.......

Date Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:18

I'm all the way 'Down Under'. I don't see Magenta hiking it to Australia in a hurry.....
And anyway, I'd probably be the proverbial 'limpet' that won't give 'em a second's peace.......

Yeah Magenta don't play that many gigs and usually its small venues in the UK to a few hundred. Still one day maybe the mountain might come to MohammedWink

Date Posted: November 24 2014 at 23:38
^ or Mohammed will have to visit the sacred land where the blissful Christina and Co. churn out their magic......
So hung-up on NYC that I keep returning there........no Magenta gigs there, I guess.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk