Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83960
Printed Date: May 14 2024 at 12:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Haken or Discipline?
Posted By: Gandalff
Subject: Haken or Discipline?
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 02:51
Two bands from two opposite sides of Atlantic, both with distinctive tenors, using beautiful tunes, long compositions, expressive keyboards and heavy guitar riffs. Both bands have two latest albums, which are very high rated on Prog Archives.

UK band Haken is listed here as Heavy Prog, but rather sounds like Prog Metal; on the other hand US band Discipline plays Symphonic Prog which is somewhat mixed with Eclectic.

Who's your favourite?

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Replies:
Posted By: idlero
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 02:55
Although I a Symphnic Prog fan, in this case my vote goes to Haken

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 03:26
Both

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: TheOppenheimer
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 03:55
Haken is the best thing that happened to humanity in the last 100 years, after the internet. They got every aspect of music that was worth it together, to create 2 masterpieces in a few years, while having full-time jobs and family to take care of.

Discipline is a great symphonic prog band.

-------------
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
A veces es cuestión de esperar, y tomarte en silencio.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 04:53
Two young bands????, yes Haken is one of them, but Discipline??? they have their first album almost 20 years ago in 1994 exactly. Anyway voted for Discipline and for their excellent ../album.asp?id=268" rel="nofollow - Unfolded Like Staircase

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 05:11
How to compare those two, i liked them both, but with the new Discipline, i have the impression that the band is on the downhill spiral which is not the case with Haken.

Posted By: cannon
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 05:21
Haken. Visions is my fav album of the year. To Shatter All Accord was a disappointment for me. Doesn't come close to Unfolded The Staircase.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 05:39
Haken is a rising star on the Heavy Prog firmament that we have to watch closely, but Discipline gets my vote.

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 06:31
I voted for both, though I wouldnt call Discipline a young band since they were formed and performed in the Detroit area in the late 80's.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 07:01
I pefer Discipline but i haven't heard either of their latest albums.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 07:21
haven't heard latest Discipline, but Visions is very good. therefore voted Haken.

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 08:25
Though Haken is a great and promising band, my vote definitely goes for Discipline. In fact, "To Shatter All Accord" may probably be my top 2011 album.

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 09:07

Discipline (and Parmenter) are great artists.
I don't care for Haken at all but they're pretty good at what they do (at least on Visions)

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 09:30
Haken is good but I'll forget them in 5 years. Discipline's "Limbo" from UNFOLDED LIKE STAIRCASE is one of the top prog songs of the 90's. The new album initially really fell flat for me but I'm liking it more and more over time.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 10:58
MUST....CHECK OUT...HAKEN  !

Discipline is very kool

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 11:38
Haken, all the way! Already one of the big players on the rogressive metal scene: original, fresh and exciting.

-------------

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 11:40

Regressive Metal Scene? Freudian Slip?

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 12:51
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Two young bands????, yes Haken is one of them, but Discipline??? they have their first album almost 20 years ago in 1994 exactly. Anyway voted for Discipline and for their excellent ../album.asp?id=268" rel="nofollow - Unfolded Like Staircase
Well, "young" was erased.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Marty McFly
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 13:44
Haken, certainly. Discipline is of course great, but not that great ... I am eagerly waiting for someone to do negative review - Haken already have Bonnek's 3 stars review and two members posted 2-star reviews as well ... Discipline has no negative review :-)

-------------
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Posted By: reedjo
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 16:19
I love Discipline and can't wait to see them at ROSFest. I've tried listening to Haken quite a few times as they come so highly recommended, but haven't gotten into them yet.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 16:41
Haken. They have made me enjoy prog Metal again. They may very well be my Dream Theater replacemant considering Dts last album

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: January 05 2012 at 21:20
Discipline by far!! I can't get into Haken.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Marty McFly
Date Posted: January 07 2012 at 09:55

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Haken. They have made me enjoy prog Metal again. They may very well be my Dream Theater replacemant considering Dts last album

Indeed, they've mastered what I loved about DT so much -wedding between melody and complexity.

Discipline ? I don't get the fuss. I've tried several times their new album and can see why people like it, but me personally ? Nope, doesn't ring a bell.

There must be someone like me out there, right ? Not everybody has fallen under enchantment of them :-D 

-------------
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Posted By: Gandalfino
Date Posted: January 11 2012 at 11:08
Haken.

Posted By: Conor Fynes
Date Posted: January 11 2012 at 11:45
I much prefer Haken. Close poll.

Posted By: Gab_N_Rose
Date Posted: January 11 2012 at 11:50
HAKEN !

-------------
http://eminem-city.xooit.com/image/67/3/6/0/sans-titre-6789-302af25.png.htm" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 11 2012 at 14:20
Discipline

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Todd
Date Posted: January 11 2012 at 16:58
Haken pushes all the right buttons, but for me there is not much substance behind it.  The dreaded prog by numbers moniker, I'm afraid, as far as I see it.  Maybe with more exposure they will click with me.

Discipline is passion, great hooks, tremendous vision.  They produced (along with Anglagard) one of the enduring prog albums from the 1990s. 

But to each his own!

-------------
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

http://gnosis2000.net/ratertodd.shtml" rel="nofollow - My Gnosis Ratings

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: January 11 2012 at 17:23
"prog by numbers" 

Hit the nail on the head there!  Though I don't think much better of Discipline, I'd have to pick them in this poll.  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk