Print Page | Close Window

Eno's influence on early Roxy Music overrated?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84265
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 05:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Eno's influence on early Roxy Music overrated?
Posted By: MagicMoo
Subject: Eno's influence on early Roxy Music overrated?
Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 11:51
Hi everybody!

After hearing Roxy Music's debut, Keith Emerson did some
biting remarks in Melody Maker of summer 72, criticising
Brian Eno's lacking technical abilities.
Now it's often stated, that without Eno their two early masterpieces
(self-titled debut and For your pleasure) wouldn't have
happened. Although I like his gimmickry (e.g. on Bogus Man),
I doubt this statement.
Most essential song-ideas even in that formative period came
(you can easily look this up in the Roxy-biographies) from Ferry.
The single point that's distinguishing Eno's approach to music
and therefore the main ingredient for his solo-career, is his unique
approach to sound(s), which for Roxy Music imo is not that important.
So, if Eddie Jobson would have alreday joined for those first
two albums, he'd sure could have done the same Moog-extravaganza.
But this was not to be and so the legend lives.

Replies:
Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 11:56
Eno affected the sound of Roxy, That mush is evident.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:01
Keith emerson should buy ears Head on wall

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:03
Those were the early days of electronica, I mean the VCS3 was a pioneering instrument that often oscillated out of control. Roxy was mostly a Ferry vehicle with contributions from Mackay, Manzanera and Thompson (the most underrated drummer, period!) . The bass slot was a turnstile all along and Jobson was a unique hired gun (like with Tull) . Eno's contribution was treating sounds and visions (his hair, plumes, spandex, sequins, boas etc...) , filtering Manzanera's lofty leads and providing a live contrast to Ferry's suave demeanor. Eno became a wizard and a true star (sorry, Todd) when he left RM and started spweing amazing , visionary rock albums , like his first few. The rest is history.
To compare Emerson to Eno is about as obliquely absurd as it gets. Sick

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:03
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Keith emerson should buy ears Head on wall

He was talking of his technical abilties. maybe you should buy ears and eyes?

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:10
Separating was the best thing that could have happened to both.  Eno era Roxy was marked by Eno doing squeaky noises and Ferry's voice needing some work. LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:11
You're right. Poor technique. Great inspiration. Everyone can't have both.

Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:14
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

You're right. Poor technique. Great inspiration. Everyone can't have both.

Thumbs Up

Although I have never read this remark from Emerson before if it is true I am a little disappointed with him.

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:19
Sorry tszirmay, but I didn't compare Keith Emerson to
Brian Eno, but just cited a remark by Emerson on Eno's
technical abilities, which is definitely not the same.
You say "Eno's contribution was treating sounds and visions".
Yes, exactly. And I did inflict the creating of "sound(s)" as imo the main reason for his solo career and lasting reputation.
So what?

Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:31
Hi Snow Dog!

I took the Emerson remark from David Buckley's
well-researched biography "Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music".
Besides, as a fan of Roxy music (saw them 18 times live),
it wasn't my intention to downgrade Eno's achievements
towards Roxy's formative years, but just to throw in
a little pepper, cause sometimes in the discussions one
really gets the impression of people thinking that without
Eno Roxy wouldn't have started.
And this I indeed doubt strongly.

Have a nice day

Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 13:29
Begs the question how someone who is a part of can be an influence on? Wink

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 14:00
It also begs the question of how technical ability relates to influence.

It also begs the question of who is says "...without Eno their two early masterpieces (self-titled debut and For your pleasure) wouldn't have happened. "

It also begs the question of where this is "often stated" because in 40 years I've never seen it stated.

It also begs the question of what does the OP know of how much sound was treated by Eno on those first two albums.

It also begs the question of how Eno could do any Moog-extravaganza when the synth used was an VCS3.

It also begs the question of how much Eno's influence was on the style of Roxy Music visually and how important that was to the early fame and fortune of Roxy Music.

It also begs the question of how closely the OP has listened to those first two Roxy albums if he cannot detect Eno's "unique approach to sound" in every track and not just Bogus Man.

It also begs the question of why Stranded and Country Life are soo different from Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 14:04
We need a begging bowl.

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2012 at 15:12
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It also begs the question of how technical ability relates to influence.

It also begs the question of who is says "...without Eno their two early masterpieces (self-titled debut and For your pleasure) wouldn't have happened. "

It also begs the question of where this is "often stated" because in 40 years I've never seen it stated.

It also begs the question of what does the OP know of how much sound was treated by Eno on those first two albums.

It also begs the question of how Eno could do any Moog-extravaganza when the synth used was an VCS3.

It also begs the question of how much Eno's influence was on the style of Roxy Music visually and how important that was to the early fame and fortune of Roxy Music.

It also begs the question of how closely the OP has listened to those first two Roxy albums if he cannot detect Eno's "unique approach to sound" in every track and not just Bogus Man.

It also begs the question of why Stranded and Country Life are soo different from Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure.

Well then pennies for your begging bowl.  It seems Brian's influence was properly rated. Tongue

Am I the only one whose eyes glaze over when someone uses underrated or overrated?

-------------

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 15:27
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Begs the question how someone who is a part of can be an influence on? Wink

Maybe what was meant was the band decided to retain the experimental electronica edge after Eno left.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 16:01
Originally posted by MagicMoo MagicMoo wrote:

Hi everybody!

After hearing Roxy Music's debut, Keith Emerson
Who TF is Kath Emerson

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 16:33
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Hi everybody!

Who TF is Kath Emerson

Confused

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 16:40
Too bad Eno was fired from RM. His Enossification was fabulous on early Roxy. They never sounded that good anymore after Eno left. In my ever so humble opinion, of course Cool
There's more than virtuosity to keyboardists. Eno knew about atmosphere, which was great.

Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 17:10
^ Eno couldn't play a keyboard when he was in Roxy Music

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 17:13
^ Ferry did the keyboard job.

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Too bad Eno was fired from RM. His Enossification was fabulous on early Roxy. They never sounded that good anymore after Eno left. In my ever so humble opinion, of course Cool
There's more than virtuosity to keyboardists. Eno knew about atmosphere, which was great.

Fired? I thought he quit. [pulling my hair.]

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 18:03
I actually think their best album is the first one without him, Stranded.

I thought the case was that he quit because he wanted to be his own boss, but he might've ended up going anyway had he tried to stay, due to a deteriorating relationship with Ferry.

Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 18:54
There wasn't enough room for one person whose first name was spelled properly and other whose wasn't. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: stacyj
Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 19:03
...anyone ask Robert Fripp about it?

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: May 31 2012 at 01:24
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Hi everybody!

Who TF is Kath Emerson

Confused
Just a joke, indirectly setting up the question : Who cares what Kieth Emerson thinks, especialy what he thinks about Eno. As long as we got no link to what he did say, its difficult to comment on it.
Eno's way of thinking music is what makes him special. Very special.
He never pretended that he was a great keyboard player or singer, if/when he needs tech. skill, he get help from others.
Or even more often, its people with tech skill's, that ask Eno, to help make interesting music, from those skills they got.  

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: May 31 2012 at 01:40

^ Eno couldn't play a keyboard when he was in Roxy Music

Really? Shocked

Too bad Eno was fired from RM. His Enossification was fabulous on early Roxy. They never sounded that good anymore after Eno left. In my ever so humble opinion, of course Cool

Fired? I thought he quit. [pulling my hair.]

I read somewhere he was fired. I read that in an interview from a Dutch journalist, Jip Golsteijn, with Bryan Ferry in the 1970's. Golsteijn asked Ferry: why did you fire Eno? and Ferry turned pale and said: 'Next question, please'. Golsteijn didn't want to ask anymore questions. Years later Golsteijn arranged another interview with Ferry, asked the same question and then Ferry said smiling: 'What an interesting question' LOL

But now I don't know what to believe. It was said that Ferry didn't want a soloist next to him, but when I hear now that Eno didn't play keyboards... Amazing Shocked

Date Posted: May 31 2012 at 01:47
^ I believe you could actually hook up a keyboard to a VCS3, which is what Eno used to work with.

Really? Shocked

As far as I know, Ferry played the Hohner piano and (I think) the Mellotron.

Eno soloing? I don't think Eno knows how to play a single instrument.

Date Posted: May 31 2012 at 02:28

^ I believe you could actually hook up a keyboard to a VCS3, which is what Eno used to work with.

Really? Shocked

As far as I know, Ferry played the Hohner piano and (I think) the Mellotron.

Eno soloing? I don't think Eno knows how to play a single instrument.

Okay, so the 'musical' keyboard / piano parts were Ferry's, and the funny out-of-this-world - sounds were Eno's.
But the sounds are great and add to the atmosphere, I think.

Date Posted: May 31 2012 at 03:11
^ Why, of course! I really like "Ladytron" and "For Your Pleasure" (the title track).

Date Posted: May 31 2012 at 21:23
...ME C NOW!

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 01 2012 at 06:25
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

We need a begging bowl.

I 'beg' to differ. This just 'beggers' belief!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 01 2012 at 06:29
I'm no authority on Roxy Music. I have a few albums, and I do like them, but Eno was a textures and atmosphere man, not a caped keyboard crusader. He was essentially a knob twiddler, more than a musician, imo, but then I don't think he's ever made any claims to being a musical genius.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: June 01 2012 at 14:47

Hi everybody!

After hearing Roxy Music's debut, Keith Emerson did some
biting remarks in Melody Maker of summer 72, criticising
Brian Eno's lacking technical abilities.

I think that those words were mean, and not quite with it.

Eno was very much a part of the schools at the time that would be later called "minimalists" or even "avant-garde", whereas Keith was nowhere near that. Eno was not interested in showing off the arpeggios on stage and then have the organ fly all over his head! I would suggest that Eno was much more interested in the SOUND itself, than he was in the notes, that supposedly made Keith a better, or more technical musician. Comparing Eno to a classically minded rock'n'roller is like night and day, bad and good, and genius or stupid!

Now it's often stated, that without Eno their two early masterpieces
(self-titled debut and For your pleasure) wouldn't have
happened. Although I like his gimmickry (e.g. on Bogus Man),

Silly discussion. You have no criteria for stating that this could not have happened in a different combination than it was created. However, it was a time for new sounds, effects and experiments, and Eno had the opportunity to try it with a rock band, and it worked out fine. The rest is not important ... and sometimes is an abuse of the priviledge and the experience itself ...

The single point that's distinguishing Eno's approach to music
and therefore the main ingredient for his solo-career, is his unique
approach to sound(s), which for Roxy Music imo is not that important.

That would be incorrect, because the sounds made sense in the first two albums. It might not have been as important from the 3rd album on, as they might have wanted a more cohesive/commercially accepted sound, so they would not be one of those ... that never got anywhere.

I believe, that Bryan has stated that he thought they needed to get stronger, not stranger!

And lastly ... I have never heard, in any conversations, Bryan say anything bad about Eno at all ... and he has great respect for the impressive and insane history of work that Eno has put together over the years after Roxy Music, which obviously showed that Eno was a different person that was not designed to be a rock musicians playing the same scales every night for your delectation!

Eno does not deserve to be thought of as some idiot that did not know music, because all he wanted to do was twist the knobs and make sounds. He would not have been with Roxy Music if his musicianship was not up to snuff or above those around him ... he probably knew music better than them all, or he would likely have a real hard time doing things with the many people that he has worked with ... think about it!

In some ways, and Bryan accepts this, Roxy Music and the rock thing was limited ... to eventually have to do a song for money or single that gives you some more freedom and money for your abilities and desires. Eno, for all intents and purposes, does not have to have any music company pressure or bother, when it comes to the work. It would not come out at all, if it did not sell, or be loved as much as it has been over the years.

So if you want to compare Eno to rock'n'roll, you are in the wrong building ... the rest room and the groupies are over there! I would rather spend my time with "Julie With..." anyday ... and know about the intelligence, the beauty, and what makes the music shine! ... and of course, Bryan is no slouch in that area either with some magnificent work of his own!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: June 01 2012 at 15:41
I like what Eno brought to the first 2 Roxy Music albums.  That's pretty much why I like them.  I think without the weird sounds and treatments, those albums are pretty much unlistenable.  It was much later that the rest of the band became cohesive, and Ferry learned how to sing in tune.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: June 01 2012 at 15:46
Eno's leaving Roxy and teaming up with Fripp was the best thing that could have happened!!  It's just too bad that they never formed a touring group!

One of my all-time favorite Fripp solos, check it out!  I did this song live with my band Casual Crowbar (I sound quite a bit like Eno when I sing), but man, I couldn't touch this guitar solo!!  Still workin' on it!!  

Date Posted: June 01 2012 at 20:37

Roxy Music? never heard of them! honest  lol

All i know is Brian Eno and Robert Fripp!  oops!
...so much,i named my 1st cat Eno! Big smile

Date Posted: June 01 2012 at 20:47
And please keep in mind that
at one time or another?
It seemed like everyone was playing
with every one!
I can only speak for the music i listen to!
Fripp/King Crimson ...etc. etc.
We really should think of that when we discuss,
members,groups,good or bad,right or wrong, ...etc. etc.
Personally? years ago? i was surprised when i discovered they did that?
...hey? ...but i never told no one to change. ...gettin the picture?
Thanx!

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 05 2012 at 17:14
I prefer Roxy Music after Eno left. Country LIfe is a great album and my favorite. And I prefer Bowie's albums prior to Eno. So, I guess I can live without any Eno, whereas others can't get enough Eno.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: June 05 2012 at 20:15
lol Headbanger

Date Posted: June 05 2012 at 22:47
Eno's work with Roxy and Fripp is remarkable. But, in my opinion, his masterpiece is what he did with David Byrne on "My life in the bush of ghosts."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rONasb9H24Y&feature=related" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rONasb9H24Y&feature=related

Date Posted: June 06 2012 at 07:21
Hi,

It's hard to take that people think that Eno does not know music or can't play it. I seriously doubt that he would have ended up with the bunch of folks that show up on his albums and the stuff with Robert Fripp, although I would think that Robert for once might have said ... I don't care what you do, and I will just add to it, or you can add to what I do ... which is not something that he can do with King Crimson, because that is the one band that paid the bills for a long time and he has stated that! 

The only real question, ever, about the whole thing was ... is Brian Eno, really Brian Jones? But who cares ... his work is great, and the other Brian never got the chance to do what this one did ... and he had a great start with the Pipes of Pan album ... but not sure that anyone has heard that here!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 06 2012 at 08:10
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

It's hard to take that people think that Eno does not know music or can't play it. I seriously doubt that he would have ended up with the bunch of folks that show up on his albums and the stuff with Robert Fripp, although I would think that Robert for once might have said ... I don't care what you do, and I will just add to it, or you can add to what I do ... which is not something that he can do with King Crimson, because that is the one band that paid the bills for a long time and he has stated that! 
That Brian Peter George St. John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno did not know music and could not play an instrument was fairly well known back in the 70s - if you look at any live performance with Roxy Music from that time and you will not see him playing an instrument other than twiddling the knobs on the EMS VCS3 synth, often without a keyboard (and when there is was it was a simple one or two octave k'bd). His keyboard skills improve later, but they are still somewhat simplistic.

This is from http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/interviews/downbeat79.htm" rel="nofollow - a 1979 lecture he gave in New York :
Originally posted by brian eno brian eno wrote:

So I think there is a difference in kind between the kind of composition I do and the kind a classical composer does. This is evidenced by the fact that I can neither read nor write music, and I can't play any instruments really well, either. You can't imagine a situation prior to this where anyone like me could have been a composer. It couldn't have happened. How could I do it without tape and without technology?
That was 6 years after No Pussyfooting.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 07 2012 at 13:24

This is from http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/interviews/downbeat79.htm" rel="nofollow - a 1979 lecture he gave in New York :

So I think there is a difference in kind between the kind of composition I do and the kind a classical composer does. This is evidenced by the fact that I can neither read nor write music, and I can't play any instruments really well, either. You can't imagine a situation prior to this where anyone like me could have been a composer. It couldn't have happened. How could I do it without tape and without technology?

Musicians are some of the worst, and most fickle folks ... it may be that in 1970 some band decided to pick up a goon in outfits to flip knobs ... and not play music for an hour and a half. It's possible, and in fact, we know that this was done in Germany and other places. We probably can say that Damo Suzuki probably does not write or read music either ... but no one is sitting here and not thinking tht Can is not progressive, because of it!

Today, this simply won't do, but then, most DJ's nowadays are as music as the nearest bathroom and its various spigots ... so what the heck! If Faust says, it's music, and so does Eno ... then it's music!

I'm reading some stuff on Eno, right now ... and I was about to post that and retract my words somewhat, or say them differently. I have a couple of things, including one of his interviews with Keyboard Magazine some 20+ years ago (I'll recheck date /// I'll post when I'm done),  where he talks about experimental music. The funny thing, is there was nothing in there that suggested he would know or not know music! And he is being interviewed on a magazine that is known for its musicians! He might not have known music ... but he knew ... a synthesizer ... and how to use it ... which most folks didn't! Or at least he made it seem like he knew what to do with the VCS3. Only a handfull of folks could be said to have that ability at the time ... probably almost none of them mixed up with music, except maybe Keith Emerson, and even then ... what he did do was mostly Moog, I believe and derivatives from it. The Moog, was more of a keyboard, than the VCS3 was I would think!

I think he does. I do think, however,  that he had, by that time, taken up the same type of thing that Krautrock started with ... no concepts or ideas ... just flow with the feeling, and I'm not sure that in itself is not a valid musical idea ... it might not be in the original/conceptual/written form ... that says you have to be have the music written first before it is considered "music" ... meaning experimental and improvised is not considered music ... which eats up a lot of jazz, in my book! How about that ... all of a sudden we would be critical about the "type" of stuff that a kitchen spoon can bring out ...

I do not have issues with that, though. I have always followed the music by its color and feeling and not the notes, which is (obviously) what not a lot of people do. Thus someone doing this, or even the folks that make up Faust, or the early folks for New, Kraftwerk and such, none of them had to know music per se, and even many write ups have suggested that neither did Amon Duul folks at the start, or Cosmic Couriers or any of its derivatives. But I doubt that those that were a part of the Berlin Conservatory and they were also creating experiments, no different than Eno's ... but they knew music, and were intentionally ignoring it. Eno might as well ... and we wouldn't necesarily know it ... but his sense of timing and appreciation for a "moment" in any of his work ... is above and beyond any conceptual ideas that we can devise and I'm not sure that anyone can really understand his work. I do think that the likes of Art Bears and many others were slightly towards the same school of experience/experiment, and then we can go check out what Robert Wyatt is doing these days, and I wonder if what my 6 year old child is as good as Robert is, now! ... it challenges everyone's perception of what music is ... in our minds. Is what Robert does any different? It's musical we know, but it is going almost totally anti-music. No different than what he did for fun to get the point across to a stuffed up doll and audience in front of some dignitaries ignoring The Soft Machine ... just do an ABC ... and watch everyone turn around and notice it! All of a sudden -- this is great music! It's the same "irrational", kid instinct. And I always thought that the whole Sex Pistols thing was the extreme form of it all, except that it had already been done in NY for at least a year prior with the likes of New York Dolls, Ramones and  Iggy and the Stooges ... !!! All of them were playing to the concept that ... I don't care what music is ... but today, it's considered ok, now that we're de-sensitized to it.

Is this any different? ... nope! Again ...we recognize one "style" and the brashness it was done with ... but not what brought the work alive in the first place ... which was a rebelious attitude towards ... "the corporate dungeon" as Iggy calls it.

Again, I consider Eno, one of the free-form folks ... and I don't care if anyone calls it music or not. But no one will sit here and say he doesn't belong ... and how about that ... a wrench in the works that really eats up the "progressive" definition! That's not what we're looking for, or want!

There are hundreds of ways for me to get to London and have a cup of coffee, tea or whiskey with Dean or anyone else ... but how I get there, could surprise them! Or take the easiest and fastest road to simplicity ... one flight to Heathrow! Most music is that easy flight ... there is no mystery and expectancy or desire or anything else that comes with it anymore ... and folks like Eno ... it's a breath of fresh air ... and for once, even the comment is on par with the music!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 07 2012 at 14:06

Musicians are some of the worst, and most fickle folks ... it may be that in 1970 some band decided to pick up a goon in outfits to flip knobs ... and not play music for an hour and a half. It's possible, and in fact, we know that this was done in Germany and other places. We probably can say that Damo Suzuki probably does not write or read music either ... but no one is sitting here and not thinking tht Can is not progressive, because of it!

Today, this simply won't do, but then, most DJ's nowadays are as music as the nearest bathroom and its various spigots ... so what the heck! If Faust says, it's music, and so does Eno ... then it's music!

I'm reading some stuff on Eno, right now ... and I was about to post that and retract my words somewhat, or say them differently. I have a couple of things, including one of his interviews with Keyboard Magazine some 20+ years ago (I'll recheck date /// I'll post when I'm done),  where he talks about experimental music. The funny thing, is there was nothing in there that suggested he would know or not know music! And he is being interviewed on a magazine that is known for its musicians!

I think he does. I do think, however,  that he had, by that time, taken up the same type of thing that Krautrock started with ... no concepts or ideas ... just flow with the feeling, and I'm not sure that in itself is not a valid musical idea ... it might not be in the original/conceptual/written form ... that says you have to be have the music written first before it is considered "music" ... meaning experimental and improvised is not considered music ... which eats up a lot of jazz, in my book! How about that ... all of a sudden we would be critical about the "type" of stuff that a kitchen spoon can bring out ...

I do not have issues with that, though. I have always followed the music by its color and feeling and not the notes, which is (obviously) what not a lot of people do. Thus someone doing this, or even the folks that make up Faust, or the early folks for New, Kraftwerk and such, none of them had to know music per se, and even many write ups have suggested that neither did Amon Duul folks at the start, or Cosmic Couriers or any of its derivatives. But I doubt that those that were a part of the Berlin Conservatory and they were also creating experiments, no different than Eno's ... but they knew music, and were intentionally ignoring it. Eno might as well ... and we wouldn't necesarily know it ... but his sense of timing and appreciation for a "moment" in any of his work ... is above and beyond any conceptual ideas that we can devise and I'm not sure that anyone can really understand his work. I do think that the likes of Art Bears and many others were slightly towards the same school of experience/experiment, and then we can go check out what Robert Wyatt is doing these days, and I wonder if what my 6 year old child is as good as Robert is, now! ... it challenges everyone's perception of what music is ... in our minds. Is what Robert does any different? It's musical we know, but it is going almost totally anti-music. No different than what he did for fun to get the point across to a stuffed up doll and audience in front of some dignitaries ignoring The Soft Machine ... just do an ABC ... and watch everyone turn around and notice it! All of a sudden -- this is great music! It's the same "irrational", kid instinct. And I always thought that the whole Sex Pistols thing was the extreme form of it all, except that it had already been done in NY for at least a year prior with the likes of New York Dolls, Ramones and  Iggy and the Stooges ... !!! All of them were playing to the concept that ... I don't care what music is ... but today, it's considered ok, now that we're de-sensitized to it.

Is this any different? ... nope! Again ...we recognize one "style" and the brashness it was done with ... but not what brought the work alive in the first place ... which was a rebelious attitude towards ... "the corporate dungeon" as Iggy calls it.

Again, I consider Eno, one of the free-form folks ... and I don't care if anyone calls it music or not. But no one will sit here and say he doesn't belong ... and how about that ... a wrench in the works that really eats up the "progressive" definition! That's not what we're looking for, or want!

There are hundreds of ways for me to get to London and have a cup of coffee, tea or whiskey with Dean or anyone else ... but how I get there, could surprise them! Or take the easiest and fastest road to simplicity ... one flight to Heathrow! Most music is that easy flight ... there is no mystery and expectancy or desire or anything else that comes with it anymore ... and folks like Eno ... it's a breath of fresh air ... and for once, even the comment is on par with the music!
Sorry Pedro, I don't have time to go through this in any detail, and I still don't understand what the facination with the "progressive" definition is, or the point you are making with respect to Eno on that score. Twenty years between one article and another is more than enough time to "learn" music. Before I started making music myself my musical knowledge was pretty basic high school stuff - I knew the basics and not much else - I suspect I was way below Eno's level when he recorded Warm Jets - the act of composing music (and yes, everything I did was 'scripted', no loose jams and improvs for me) taught me loads - modes, scales, progressions, harmony, dissonance, counter-point, cadences, pivot-notes, complex meters - you name it and I probably I tried it at some point in the 51 original CDs of "music" I created over a six year period - and that's by far the best way of learning anything... to use it and play around with it, see what you can do with it and what you can't, to see what works and understand why it works, to find out what doesn't work and find ways of making it work. I would like to imagine that Eno does the same.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 07 2012 at 14:48

CDs of "music" I created over a six year period - and that's by far the best way of learning anything... to use it and play around with it, see what you can do with it and what you can't, to see what works and understand why it works, to find out what doesn't work and find ways of making it work. I would like to imagine that Eno does the same.

Don't we all ... but I don't think that we worried about what it was called, did we? ... I didn't! Neither did Eno, I'm sure!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 07 2012 at 15:03

Don't we all ... but I don't think that we worried about what it was called, did we? ... I didn't! Neither did Eno, I'm sure!
What what was called? The music notation and theory? - sure I did - I'm fascinated by that stuff. Or do you mean the music itself? Yeah, I called it music though some would beg to differ - and yeah if I made something that sounded vaguely neo-classical I called it neo-classical and if I made something electronic I called it electronic and if I made something that was ambient then I called it ambient, and why not? If I want people to listen to it (which for a while I did) then it seems pretty sensible to me to describe it to them in some way at least so they'll want to hear it. If I paint a picture of the view from my house over the fields to Winchester in watercolours then I'll call it a watercolour landscape - and why not? That's what it is after all, I don't see much point in calling it 'a progressive expression into the light transmission qualities of Hampshire air as captured in the fleeting moment of pigment-load brush as it skips across the dampend page' when what it is is just a watercolour painting of a landscape... and just calling it 'painting' isn't very helpful to anyone. Eno may have (claimed to have) invented the term Ambient, but he then went on to qualify it as 'audible wallpaper'.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 11 2012 at 11:32

What what was called? The music notation and theory? - sure I did - I'm fascinated by that stuff. Or do you mean the music itself? Yeah, I called it music though some would beg to differ - and yeah if I made something that sounded vaguely neo-classical I called it neo-classical and if I made something electronic I called it electronic and if I made something that was ambient then I called it ambient, and why not?

And you ... hard to believe ... as anti-music (in the conventional commercial sense) as I am ... that you have not seen or know that I go for things that no one else does ... all experimental, and a lot of this "ambient" stuff was just that!

And if you would like to share it with someone that actually appreciates that stuff ... I'll gladdly listen, btw ... as opposed to others here that will probably tell you ... Dean ... that's not progressive!

I don't see much point in calling it 'a progressive expression into the light transmission qualities of Hampshire air as captured in the fleeting moment of pigment-load brush as it skips across the dampend page'

What a magnificent title! ... better than most progressive titles we list! Ohh wait ... yours, speaks a truth that our group does not like to discuss ... reality!

when what it is is just a watercolour painting of a landscape... and just calling it 'painting' isn't very helpful to anyone. Eno may have (claimed to have) invented the term Ambient, but he then went on to qualify it as 'audible wallpaper'.

He does not claim to have labelled it, btw!

The article is Keyboard Magazine in 1988 ... I think it was March. I'll scan it ... and how do you want me to post it? Where? ... I would think that we need to have that near his "information" ... since it is really good about telling what Eno is about ... even when he was in Roxy Music. I'll see if I can get the thing to scan it in Word so I can copy the words and not have to use the actual picture. Since we would be giving the magazine credit for the issue in question, I do not think that it would be violating the copyrights of anything ... this is the same rules that allow Wiki to quote books.

The funny thing? ... in the article he is asked about knowing music and he doesn't answer ... but he does say that he is "pitch perfect" ... which made him very good for background vocals ... and likely explains the rest ... he can adjust faster than most of us because of it!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 11 2012 at 13:14

What what was called? The music notation and theory? - sure I did - I'm fascinated by that stuff. Or do you mean the music itself? Yeah, I called it music though some would beg to differ - and yeah if I made something that sounded vaguely neo-classical I called it neo-classical and if I made something electronic I called it electronic and if I made something that was ambient then I called it ambient, and why not?

And you ... hard to believe ... as anti-music (in the conventional commercial sense) as I am ... that you have not seen or know that I go for things that no one else does ... all experimental, and a lot of this "ambient" stuff was just that!

And if you would like to share it with someone that actually appreciates that stuff ... I'll gladdly listen, btw ... as opposed to others here that will probably tell you ... Dean ... that's not progressive!
The 50th album I released can be found in full here: http://www.last.fm/music/The+Cacophony+Of+Light/Pilgrim" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/music/The+Cacophony+Of+Light/Pilgrim  
And the 51st here: http://www.last.fm/music/The+Cacophony+Of+Light/Stateless" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/music/The+Cacophony+Of+Light/Stateless  

...neither are "ambient", I stopped making ambient music a long time before those were recorded. Wink

I don't see much point in calling it 'a progressive expression into the light transmission qualities of Hampshire air as captured in the fleeting moment of pigment-load brush as it skips across the dampend page'

What a magnificent title! ... better than most progressive titles we list! Ohh wait ... yours, speaks a truth that our group does not like to discuss ... reality!

Please, I implore you, stop guessing what the group (whoever that is) does and does not like to discuss - we discuss this crap all the time. People are getting too hung-up on this musicology categorising pigeonholing genre-fication kick - it's not that important and we really don't fret about it that much - it is a small convenience to give something a name so we can share a common language.

Practically every artist is unique and every album is different from any other album - even a tribute band doing covers is not the original band and the versions they do are not identical to the original versions, that's why we can call them "tributes" and "covers" ... we are using a common language (vocabulary) so we all know what we are talking about ... (Yet you would not call the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra a L.v. Beethoven tribute band that does cover versions of the Pastoral Symphony because the vocabulary is different)

We can be really silly about this and make each and every artist a sole member of their own subgenre (hence my 'a progressive expression into the light transmission qualities of Hampshire air as captured in the fleeting moment of pigment-load brush as it skips across the dampend page'' joke) or we be really silly about this and just call it "music" regardless of whether it is complex or simple, jazz or rock, underground or commercial. Or we can be sensible and accept that a name is just a name and not a description - Progressive Rock is a name for a bunch of music that fits some vague idea, it is not a description of what that music is alleged to do (ie progress). Prog Rock does not have to be progressive and music that is progressive is not always Prog Rock.

when what it is is just a watercolour painting of a landscape... and just calling it 'painting' isn't very helpful to anyone. Eno may have (claimed to have) invented the term Ambient, but he then went on to qualify it as 'audible wallpaper'.

He does not claim to have labelled it, btw!
Perhaps not, he became associated with "inventing" it however. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_music" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_music  

The article is Keyboard Magazine in 1988 ... I think it was March. I'll scan it ... and how do you want me to post it? Where? ... I would think that we need to have that near his "information" ... since it is really good about telling what Eno is about ... even when he was in Roxy Music. I'll see if I can get the thing to scan it in Word so I can copy the words and not have to use the actual picture. Since we would be giving the magazine credit for the issue in question, I do not think that it would be violating the copyrights of anything ... this is the same rules that allow Wiki to quote books.
It's not that important - if you want to quote it here in the forum that's your decision not mine (and for copyright purposes as long as it is not a major portion of the article and is only used for "academic" and/or "research" and/or "education" use there will be no infringement). But please bare in mind that "we" (the PA) are not publishing it on the PA main site and it will only appear as a post under your name in this forum.

The funny thing? ... in the article he is asked about knowing music and he doesn't answer ... but he does say that he is "pitch perfect" ... which made him very good for background vocals ... and likely explains the rest ... he can adjust faster than most of us because of it!
Possibly.. however, "pitch perfect" does not imply other talents.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 12 2012 at 10:34

Possibly.. however, "pitch perfect" does not imply other talents.

It can ... easily! When you can pick up singing, off anywhere, anytime, there are a lot of bands that would love to have folks like that ... even a lead singer. I'm guessing that he was picked up for backing vocals and when he could add little bits and pieces that helped th emusic some, they allowed it ... and it helped get the attention to the band, by the way he dressed did his thing on stage, I imagine.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 12 2012 at 10:59
Confused o...kaaayyy, I guess we're talking at cross-purposes because I have no idea what you mean.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: June 12 2012 at 11:18

we discuss this crap all the time. People are getting too hung-up on this musicology categorising pigeonholing genre-fication kick - it's not that important

Can we have this as a banner heading at the top of all music related forums, please?

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: June 12 2012 at 11:20

Confused o...kaaayyy, I guess we're talking at cross-purposes because I have no idea what you mean.

I hadn't either. Wanted to wait and see if you did.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk