Print Page | Close Window

Keith Emerson and music theory

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84368
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 22:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Keith Emerson and music theory
Posted By: The_Jester
Subject: Keith Emerson and music theory
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 16:42
I don't think Keith Emerson had trouble with musical theory since when I hear stuff that he ''composed'' seems too odd to be wanted. It seems to me Mr. Emerson only does what he thinks ''sounds good''. I think Greg Lake is the the best composer in ELP.

What do you think?

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 17:15
I think ELP is poopy.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 17:27
What do I think about one of the best, most innovative and influential players in rock history?   What do I think of the relative importance of 'music theory' ?   What do I think of Greg Lake's fine songwriting and production skills?   Or what do I think of uninformed questions?

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 17:31
I think this will not end well.

Mr Emerson was in The Nice, Mr Lake was not. Mr Emerson has over a dozen solo albums, Mr Lake has two. I think it is evident that Mr Emerson was the more proficient composer.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 17:49
What do you mean by 'too odd'?

How does that relate to Emersons understanding of music theory?

Arnold Shoenberg composed music that could have been described as 'odd' by many, but I don't think his understanding of 'music theory' was ever in question. Indeed, it was his knowledge of music theory that allowed such experimentation with 'atonality'

What, in Emersons compositions, suggests he doesn't understand music theory??

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 18:04
If judging him by his music, either with ELP or solo, it is obvious that Mr. Emerson is an intelligent and literate musician.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 18:19
I think you are totally wrong Jester in name and nature.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 18:21
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I think ELP is poopy.

As you have said before. Give it a rest.

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 19:30
A bizarre OP to be sureErmm. Wait up, I forgot Greg Lake's guitar concerto which clearly dwarfs Keith's Piano critter in daring, innovation and labyrinthine conceptual detail.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 19:36
The music theory of Emerson is just a theory so it can't be real anyway, you know like evolution.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 20:04
In fact, I heard some of his songs and there's a lot of unwanted dissonances in his parts like if he didn't know in what scale or chord to play in and play anything. in opposite the parts Greg Lake composed are all greatly done with respects of the scale they are in and with logical chords. It is an opinion but I guess that Keith Emerson don't know all the subtilities of musical theory and the link between the theory and composition. I know he made solo albums but they are just as his parts in Tarkus or Toccata: random scales in random chords.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 20:09
And I really like atonality in music but only when it is wanted.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 21:22
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

In fact, I heard some of his songs and there's a lot of unwanted dissonances in his parts like if he didn't know in what scale or chord to play in and play anything. in opposite the parts Greg Lake composed are all greatly done with respects of the scale they are in and with logical chords. It is an opinion but I guess that Keith Emerson don't know all the subtilities of musical theory and the link between the theory and composition. I know he made solo albums but they are just as his parts in Tarkus or Toccata: random scales in random chords.
There is so much more to Emerson's playing and composition than "random scales and chords"-especially with ELP albums like Trilogy, every note he plays has an important place in position with the others-nothing is wasted
           sure, he is all over the place sometimes, but it is never filler

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 21 2012 at 03:10
It's too bad if you like Lake's songs better than Emerson's music. You miss it.
I can only tell you one thing: be sure nothing is random in what Emerson played.

Posted By: NickHall
Date Posted: January 21 2012 at 04:23
Greg Lake is a genuine talented songwriter; Keith Emerson is a great musician, not firstly a composer. But I don't believe that part about Keith not knowing his music theory - that's got to be rubbish!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 21 2012 at 04:52
I went to the 1995 ELP convention in Birmingham and there was a keyboard guy who demonstrated Keith Emerson's keyboard technique and explained it in layman terms. Its a long time ago so I can't remember exactly what he said but the gist of it was that Emerson did certain things 'unusually' not always following logical chord progressions or 'playing by the book' .
Emerson was an individual who influenced many prog keyboard players.He 'wrote' his own book on keyboard playing and others followed. The idea that he didn't do things 'right' is a bit silly tbh. He just did things his own way. Its called 'progressive rock'.

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: January 21 2012 at 09:07

I don't think Keith Emerson knows his music theory pretty well since when I hear stuff that he ''composed'' it is too odd to be wanted. It seems Mr. Emerson only does what he thinks ''sounds good''. I think Greg Lake is the real composer in ELP.

What do you think?

Disagree...

Fugue.
I rest my case.

Date Posted: January 21 2012 at 10:49
Originally posted by NickHall NickHall wrote:

Greg Lake is a genuine talented songwriter; Keith Emerson is a great musician, not firstly a composer. But I don't believe that part about Keith not knowing his music theory - that's got to be rubbish!
In fact, that's exactly my point. I don't mean he doesn't know anything about musical theory but I'm sure he does not master it perfectly. Maybe he knows about it and doesn't know how to use it properly all the time. He's a musician and Greg Lake is a songwriter.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 21 2012 at 11:43

It sounds to me like you are confusing music theory with a more simplistic version of that which is used in song writing. Composition using the "rules" of music theory, or using a simplified form of them that is proven to work every time, or disregarding them entirely does not determine how good a composition will be - using the simplified rules of 12-bar blues have been used to create some of the most sublime music ever written, and some of the blandest.

Music theory is a means to describe what has been used, not a means of restricting what can be used. For example chord progression can be based upon the circle of 5ths but that is not a golden rule that must never be broken, chord progressions that do not use it are perfectly fine. Similarly discordance is not dissonance is not atonal; any key change will result in a temporary discord that can be resolved into tonality if the composer chooses too using a pivotal note, but again, it's not a golden rule that must never be broken; using a tritone will result in dissonance, in composition this is something to be exploited to create expression rather than avoid to create harmony, The Beatles used tritones for that purpose and Emerson probably uses them because they sound scary and (karn)evil; atonality simply means without a central key, it is perfectly possible to write atonal music that is harmonic and melodic, what atonality is not is random notes over (in?) random chords, again using atonality is perfectly within the "rules" of music theory.

(I believe) Rick Wakeman said "you have to know the rules to break them", yet the two artists he admired the most for composition and song writing (David Bowie and The Beatles) knew nothing of music theory - they "broke the rules" in practically every song they wrote - not by knowing the rules, but by understanding what sounded right to them. And in that I think this is Emerson's approach, (I'm not arguing whether he knows music theory or not - there are reports that he studied classical piano and took examinations when he was eight - then so did a lot of people who were learning to play the piano back in the day), that he transcribed Brubeck's Blue Rondo a la Turk into common time suggests to me he simply played it as he thought it should sound rather than the slightly arrhythmic 9/8 time it was written in.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: January 21 2012 at 12:09
Keith Emerson and music is thin at one end, much much thicker in the middle, and thin again at the far end.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: January 21 2012 at 12:11
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Keith Emerson and music is thin at one end, much much thicker in the middle, and thin again at the far end.
...in theory Wink

-------------
What?

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: January 22 2012 at 01:14
I can't listen to stuff like "Fanfare" that's too polished and well played, but bought the Deluxe Edition of "Pictures" after watching "Prog Rock Britannia" and realising how wild they could be live. There are three different concerts on it and Emerson makes some amazing racket. I love the bit when Greg Lake is singing some dirge only for it to be suddenly oblterated by a mad blast of noise which sounds to me like Emerson fell asleep and toppled across the controls of the Moog. Top marks to Greg for the Hendrix intro to "The Barbarian" though.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: January 22 2012 at 05:27

I am sure you are aware that Toccata is just an adaptation and not his composition, strictly speaking.  At any rate, I don't hear anything random whatsoever in Tarkus or Toccata.  It is all satisfactorily resolved.  Dissonance is tasty, too bad some people prefer it bland. Wink

Date Posted: January 22 2012 at 07:00
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

...in theory Wink

It also is my theory about the Keith Emerson and what it is too. Tongue

(I really did watch a bit too much Monty Python when I was young.) Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2012 at 09:15
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

I can't listen to stuff like "Fanfare" that's too polished and well played, but bought the Deluxe Edition of "Pictures" after watching "Prog Rock Britannia" and realising how wild they could be live. There are three different concerts on it and Emerson makes some amazing racket. I love the bit when Greg Lake is singing some dirge only for it to be suddenly oblterated by a mad blast of noise which sounds to me like Emerson fell asleep and toppled across the controls of the Moog. Top marks to Greg for the Hendrix intro to "The Barbarian" though.

That Deluxe edition is brilliant ,much the best I've acquired by any artist

The bit you refer to is on The Sage (or might be just before it and its not a ''Dirge'' btw). Keith did have some problems with the Moog in the early days and programming it to make certain sounds. Wasn't always as slick as he would have liked but at least you get a proper representation of the live shows at the Lyceum and Isle Of Wight ( both1970). The official album release from 1971 is just too polished and a tad boring for my liking.

Date Posted: January 23 2012 at 19:17
And the first part of Tarkus with him playing in a simple scale while it's obvious there's two and that the riff is made on 4ths. He sure knows a bit of his musical rules but not enough and still want to apply the rules he learned but it's not always working. When composers use dissonance it's always clearly wanted. Even real good improvisers make dissonance but it is wanted and it is clear. Keith Emerson's dissonances sound only like errors. There's a huge difference between wanted and unwanted dissonance.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 23 2012 at 20:17
The point is "wanted" or not wanted may be a matter of taste here and not reflect his education.  

Date Posted: January 24 2012 at 01:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Keith did have some problems with the Moog in the early days
Ah, I see now that what I am impressed by here is the feeling that Emerson is battling against the foces of chaos and randomness. It could all come apart at any moment, but his skill and inspiration are producing far more exciting music than could ever be achieved by sitting quietly and writing a lot of notes down, no matter how cleverly.Star

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 24 2012 at 01:46
 ^ exactly; they flirted with utter disaster and usually pulled it off

Posted By: daslaf
Date Posted: January 24 2012 at 07:59

For Toccata I was aware it was an arrangement but listen to the first chord. There's a tritone and two minor seconds (half tones). It is used in some contemporary work but never in such a way. It's not scary it's only a quickly made intro. And the first part of Tarkus with him playing in a simple scale while it's obvious there's two and that the riff is made on 4ths. He sure knows a bit of his musical rules but not enough and still want to apply the rules he learned but it's not always working. When composers use dissonance it's always clearly wanted. Even real good improvisers make dissonance but it is wanted and it is clear. Keith Emerson's dissonances sound only like errors. There's a huge difference between wanted and unwanted dissonance.

It may sound like errors to your ears. I'm not a big ELP fan to be honest, but I'm completely sure that Emerson knew what he was doing, I have the feeling though that he tried too hard once in a while and the music feels a little mechanic to my ears, but that's a matter of personal taste.

-------------
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago

Posted By: Ytse_Jam
Date Posted: January 24 2012 at 15:26
Having said that years of music theory aren't necessary to play good music, I think that to dissonate in the way Keith does is necessary a strong musical theory, because dissonation is not random noise (o 'rlly?). In his piano/hammond improvisations, I hear a lot of musical skills, and not only speed.

Date Posted: January 24 2012 at 15:56
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Keith did have some problems with the Moog in the early days
Ah, I see now that what I am impressed by here is the feeling that Emerson is battling against the foces of chaos and randomness. It could all come apart at any moment, but his skill and inspiration are producing far more exciting music than could ever be achieved by sitting quietly and writing a lot of notes down, no matter how cleverly.Star
I've always felt that for Keith the journey was more important than the destination. He used to pull apart his own peices and try to find different ways of playing them. Tarkus had so many different incarnations over the years. Other bands/artists just went on stage and played things exactly like they were written (yawn).

Posted By: geneyesontle
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 17:20
I'm sorry my friend,
But I think Keith Emerson is original.

Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 17:55
Well, I said it was an opinion, you all have yours and it's perfectly okay but it doesn't change. I don't say he doesn't know all of his musical theory. I simply say that he doesn't seem to know it enough. I sure saw an evolution through time (he's not the same composer from Tarkus to Brain Salad Surgery) but I keep my point. And I admit that in Toccata the first chord was completely wanted. 

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: geneyesontle
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 19:00
I warn you.

I am the guy who talks to you every morning on the bus.

And Toccata was an arrangement of the 4th Movement of Alberto Ginastera's Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 28.

Date Posted: January 26 2012 at 17:49

Like I said before, I sure know it is an arrangement.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: frogbs
Date Posted: January 27 2012 at 10:44
It's ridiculous to say that Keith didn't know what he was doing though I believe he spent a lot of time trying to do things his own way, for better or worse

Date Posted: January 27 2012 at 13:56
I studied music for 1.5 years and have played music as a low-level amateur for 20 years but I can not claim knowing music theory myself, so I can not debate on technical grounds.

The only thing I can say is, a lot of his music sounds like heaven to my ears.

If you can do Fugue (in between the 2 parts of The Endless Enigma) or the wonderful piano parts in Trilogy, or the Piano Improvisations in Welcome Back My Friends, or Piano Concerto... without knowing music theory, then at the very least you deserve big congratulations!

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 02:45
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I studied music for 1.5 years and have played music as a low-level amateur for 20 years but I can not claim knowing musical theory myself, so I can not debate on technical grounds.

The only thing I can say is, a lot of his music sounds like heaven to my ears.

If you can do Fugue (in between the 2 parts of The Endless Enigma) or the wonderful piano parts in Trilogy, or the Piano Improvisations in Welcome Back My Friends... without knowing musical theory, then at the very least you deserve big congratulations!

Clap

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 11:24

I never heard the album Trilogy but I'll try it and see if he evolved. But I sure know that in Tarkus and the albums before that he does things that have a little connection with the scales they are in but that still does a dissonance because he doesn't consider chord change or the note he should play, etc. In Brain Salad Surgery I couldn't believe he doesn't know his musical theory. He evolved but it wasn't always like that.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 11:29
Will you ever stop presenting your opinions as fact?

-------------
What?

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 12:13

I never heard the album Trilogy but I'll try it and see if he evolved. But I sure know that in Tarkus and the albums before that he does things that have a little connection with the scales they are in but that still does a dissonance because he doesn't consider chord change or the note he should play, etc. In Brain Salad Surgery I couldn't believe he doesn't know his musical theory. He evolved but it wasn't always like that.

I think you should also consider that Emerson had to adapt his music to the requirements of the band. Tarkus was composed on the piano and famously Lake didn't want anything to do with it at first. It then evolved into something different.Thats not to say I agree with your general comments but just to make the point that ELP was not 'The Keith Emerson Band'.

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 15:18
I can't say I'm looking forward to hearing Jester's corrected versions, but maybe they'll create some interest in academic circlesGeek

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:09

I am not presenting my opinions as facts I present it as opinions. I did not made this thread with intentions of starting up everyone I only wanted to offer my view on this situation and trying to get my opnion evolving. I wanted to hear about others to know what you find and why. I also want to make you think of the situation and get your opinions evolving. I offer arguments wich are my convivtions but if you prove my arguments aren't good I'll change my mind (like for Toccata) and admit things. I only wanted a serious debate.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:15

I am not presenting my opinions as facts I present it as opinions. I did not made this thread with intentions of starting up everyone I only wanted to offer my view on this situation and trying to get my opnion evolving. I wanted to hear about others to know what you find and why. I also want to make you think of the situation and get your opinions evolving. I offer arguments wich are my convivtions but if you prove my arguments aren't good I'll change my mind (like for Toccata) and admit things. I only wanted a serious debate.
No sunshine, you present them as fact, for example: "but that still does a dissonance because he doesn't consider chord change or the note he should play" - that is indeed your opinion, but you are stating it as a fact, which is certainly is not - you cannot possibly know what he does or does not consider nor can you even speculate.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:33
Did you notice your 'comma' key is broken? Wink

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:36

For this one, I totally agree with you but everyone does errors. In fact, I was saying this because it is a fact: he doesn't consider the chord changes in the beginning of Tarkus, and the notes he should play (if it was by the book), he does not play them. He makes dissonance in all Tarkus. I've seen the scores, I analysed it and this is my conclusion. There's a key change in the riff and he does not consider it. He continues to play like if he was in the first chord. I sure omitted some things in the statement like ''in the beginning of Tarkus''. I'm still sorry, I can't say I'm right but please, let me have my opinion too.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:42
Interesting... what makes you so sure he didn't do this on purpose?

-------------
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:48
It maybe was but even if it was he still didn't consider it. You can unconsider something on purpose.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:50

For this one, I totally agree with you but everyone does errors. In fact, I was saying this because it is a fact: he doesn't consider the chord changes in the beginning of Tarkus, and the notes he should play (if it was by the book), he does not play them. He makes dissonance in all Tarkus. I've seen the scores, I analysed it and this is the conclusion. There's a key change in the riff and he does not consider it. He continues to play like if he was in the first chord. I sure omitted some things in the statement like ''in the beginning of Tarkus''. I'm still sorry, I can't say I'm right but please, let me have my opinion too.

I repeat - 'you cannot possibly know what he does or does not consider nor can you even speculate' - if he does not play the "right" note "by the book" it does not mean he did not consider it - you don't know whether he considered it or not, I don't know that, my pet cat does not know that and the man in the moon does not know that, only Keith Emerson knows that.

Also playing "by the book" is not the golden rule that's never to be broken - Music Theory, as I have said before, is a means to describe what has been used, not a means of restricting what can be used.

By all means have your opinion, but phrase it as opinion not fact:

"I analysed it and this is the conclusion" is opinion presented as fact

"I analysed it and this is my conclusion" is opinion presented as opinion

and consider the possibility that what Emerson composed was what he wanted to compose and the dissonance are deliberate and planned..

-------------
What?

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:52
Also playing "by the book" is not the golden rule that's never to be broken - Music Theory, as I have said before, is a means to describe what has been used, not a means of restricting what can be used. And that's not an opinion?

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:58

It maybe was but even if it was he still didn't consider it. You can unconsider something on purpose.

You're writing nonsense - have you been drinking? Unless he told you personally, you will never know whether he considered it. The difference is that when he 'did something', it will show in the scores you looked at, whether he 'considered doing something' is unknown to you, unless he told you he did or he wrote that down somewhere and you read it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:58

I'm done.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:04
con·sid·er 
v. con·sid·eredcon·sid·er·ingcon·sid·ers
v.tr.
1. To think carefully about.
2. To think or deem to be; regard as. See Usage Note at  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/as" rel="nofollow - as 1.
3. To form an opinion about; judge: considers waste to be criminal.
4. To take into account; bear in mind: Her success is not surprising if you consider her excellent training.
5. To show consideration for: failed to consider the feelings of others.
6. To esteem; regard.
7. To look at thoughtfully.

Source:  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/consider" rel="nofollow - http://www.thefreedictionary.com/consider

All 7 of these are things for which you cannot judge whether they have been done just by looking at a music scores - unless they are annotated to indicate this..

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:06
Maybe I'm wrong with defining ''consideration'' because I tought that not considering something was like not taking care of an element (in this case not taking care of the chord change) and could be wanted or not.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:14
Well, this time I clearly lost. You win, I did make a big argumentative error and I'm sorry to have done it. What I wanted to say is that he continued playing on the same chord while the chord changed that's all.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:15
"consider" has the latin root considerare meaning "to look at closely or to observe". Often in English to say that you considered something is used in context for not doing something - for example, "I considered going to the cinema, but it was raining so I stayed at home."

-------------
What?

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:18

Mr. Emerson only does what he thinks ''sounds good''.
What do you think?

I think everybody does what they think sounds good. Unless they are payed to do diffrent.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:23

Well, this time I clearly lost. You win, I did make a big argumentative error and I'm sorry to have done it. What I wanted to say is that he continued playing on the same chord while the chord changed that's all.

That's fine, no worries. What triggered me initially was not the word 'consider', but rather the fact that you wrote ' I couldn't believe he doesn't know his musical theory'. It's related: you don't know whether he did not know is musical theory when he decided to continue playing on the same chord. In my opinion he did know his theory, otherwise there's a big chance he would never have reached the heights he did. For one thing, some of his pieces have been, and still are, performed by classical orchestras. The musicians that play in these are not the most open minded when it comes to violating the 'laws' laid down in music theory, so he must have done something right.... Wink

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:26

Maybe I'm wrong with defining ''consideration'' because I tought that not considering something was like not taking care of an element (in this case not taking care of the chord change) and could be wanted or not.
I don't see how playing the same chord while the underlying melody changes key is an error - it's called polytonality, or in this case bitonality, it can be harmonised or it can be dissonant - that's covered in music theory too.

/edit - many 20th Century composers used bitonality, for example Aaron Copland... and we all know that ELP covered his music. Wink

-------------
What?

Date Posted: January 29 2012 at 03:50
As I said, I do not know much music theory myself so probably I will not be able to give an academical statement, but it would help a lot if you would tell us where precisely you think he is playing "wrong" notes, for example "in the studio version of Tarkus, at 05:25 the background key of the keyboards left hand + bass changes, and he continues playing the same lead scale as he was doing before the key change", etc.

Date Posted: January 29 2012 at 05:25

Also playing "by the book" is not the golden rule that's never to be broken - Music Theory, as I have said before, is a means to describe what has been used, not a means of restricting what can be used. And that's not an opinion?

ah-hem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by wikipedia wikipedia wrote:

Music theory is the study of how music works. It examines the language and notation of music. It seeks to identify patterns and structures in composers' techniques across or within genres, styles, or historical periods. In a grand sense, music theory distills and analyzes the fundamental parameters or elements of music—rhythm, harmony (harmonic function), melody, structure, form, texture, etc..
Music Theory studies, examines, identifies, distills and analyses. It does not instruct, dictate, restrict or constrain. So while my comment is indeed opinion, it is supported by the definition of what Music Theory is. Essentially Music Theory says "this worked in the past, if we follow the same 'rules' it will work again" - but they are not Golden Rules - serial composition, microtonal music and aleatoric music are part of Music Theory but have completely different rule-sets to 'traditional' music.

All Music Theory can be said to be opinion, since it is the study of how music is perceived because without human perception it is just vibrations in the air - science can explain how and why two notes can appear consonant or dissonant, but it is human perception that identified them as being consonant or dissonant in the first place.

Tarkus is composed in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartal_and_quintal_harmony#Rock_music" rel="nofollow - quartal harmony (a 20th century development of harmony) - ie based upon intervals of fourths (perfect fourth, the augmented fourth and the diminished fourth)  - intervals of 4th were once perceived as consonant, then during the Baroque, Classical and Romantic eras (ie "common practice") as dissonant and now they are perceived as either dissonant or consonant depending on how they are used.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: January 29 2012 at 09:57

I know it is 4th but when 4th are used many time there can be key changes just like Tarkus in wich there's a key change in the middle of every mesure of the first mouvement. He doesn't do the key change change in his solo wich isn't dramatic if you like it like that. Maybe it is wanted, maybe it isn't, I don't know I'm not Keith Emerson. I believe it isn't but that's my point of view.  

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 29 2012 at 10:01
^ It is all wanted. Keith discussed the section at length with the rest of the band. And even though it was scored it was very much played by feel.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2012 at 10:10

I too believed it was played by feel wich can result in errors (even though maybe it is completely wanted).

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 29 2012 at 10:11
^There are no errors. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2012 at 10:18

Nothing's an error. Approve

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 29 2012 at 10:48

I have Tarkus as a midi file, it's not an amazingly accurate version but I guess it's decent enough for this purpose, if you have any sequencer or midi editor program like Cubasis or the like, I can email you the file and you can easily move the "wrong" notes to their "correct" place and send me the file back, then I will know what are you talking about.

Date Posted: January 29 2012 at 11:52

I could but I can't do it on all the song it will too long. And I'm not the best composer ever, I'll never do a great job on Tarkus.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 29 2012 at 11:53
Ermm

-------------
What?

Date Posted: January 29 2012 at 12:23
http://soundcloud.com/amadjester/tarkus-first-mesures" rel="nofollow - http://soundcloud.com/amadjester/tarkus-first-mesures
Here you go if you want to see the first mesures. I'm not too proud of the ending though.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 29 2012 at 13:33

http://soundcloud.com/amadjester/tarkus-first-mesures" rel="nofollow - http://soundcloud.com/amadjester/tarkus-first-mesures
Here you go if you want to see the first mesures. I'm not too proud of the ending though.

I listened to it but I still don't know what are you referring to, sorry...

Date Posted: January 30 2012 at 09:08

Nothing's an error. Approve

I have heard it from musicians that there are really no wrong notes.   I can't accurately capture their reasoning but they laid more stress on how these notes were resolved.  

Date Posted: January 30 2012 at 09:41
^ I think that was originally a Miles Davies quote ("there are no bad notes, just badly resolved ones")

Time for a rewind back to 2008 and the release of Opeth's Watershed album containing the track "Hessian Peel" which contained a "wrong note" in the opinion of one of our reviewers - much to the amusement of Mr Akerfeldt - needless to say, http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49617&PN=1" rel="nofollow - a long forum argument ensued . One informative post was made by ex-forum member Trademark (aka Tom Hirst - a professional luthier):

Originally posted by Trademark Trademark wrote:

This is gonna be a long one. Smile

There seem to be some misunderstanding here in terms of the use in this context of the word "wrong" and how it relates to the concept of music theory.  First; music is theory is not, never has been, and hopefully never will be a set of "rules" that are used to create music.  This concept runs contrary to the very nature of music.  What music theory is and always been and hopefully always will be is an important and useful tool we can use to understand and then explain what composers have done. 

Composers and songwriters from every era in history share a certain set of "tendencies"; that is, they tend to all use many of the same techniques for changing the key or progressing from one chord to another, or ending a musical phrase, etc..  Music theory identifies these patterns and tendencies and creates a kind of list that can be used to help categorize music by historical period, to help see how a composer is different from his contemporaries, or to just plain understand the music at a deeper level than can be done with the ears alone.  Seen in this light there are no wrong notes, only unexplained ones.  The list of categorizations for notes is long   The rules for using notes are not rules, rather they are explanations of what has almost always been done in the past. 

Over the past 4 centuries or so of musical study a vast number of tendencies in music have developed that are very seldom not observed (other than in serial or other deliberately atonal music which falls outside this discussion).  For example, when a note outside the key is used if it is a sharp (#) it will resolve up, if it is a flat (b) it will resolve down.  Certain chords are reserved for very specific purposes such as key changes and other special effects, etc..  This does not mean they cannot be used for other purposes, only that 95% of the time they are not.  Darqdean's explanation above is one of the clearest and most concise I have ever read annd I'll probably borrow it for use in my Music Appreciation class. ClapClap

The following needs to be added to the idea though.  Tonal music is "goal oriented".  That is, we expect certain notes of chords to follow others.  We probably are not even aware of our expectations, since composers and songwriters follow the established patterns so strongly that they become subconsciously ingrained in all of us.  Part of the beauty in music is the composer's ability to surprise us by occasionally NOT meeting our expectations.  This can be done in a number of ways, one of which is the "wrong note"  that is being discussed here. 

Adding a note or chord that is outside the prevailing harmony surprises us and makes us sit up and pay attention to the music because we now wonder what else new might be coming next, like a plot twist in an Agatha Christie mystery.  You say "Wow, I did not see that coming."  However, as with any literary reference there must be a satisfactory resolution to the twist.  If I, as a writer, were to suddenly introduce a fire-breathing dragon or an alien space ship into a political thriller about unrest in Zimbabwe I'd have to give this unexpected new character a thorough explanation or my story would lose all credibility.  It is not wrong for me to introduce this new element in my story, but it could make the story lose focus and confuse my reader rather than helping him follow the plot.  Wrong note dissonances in music carry the same responsibility.  They must resolve in a manner than does not leave the listener wondering why the hell that note was stuck in there.  It needs to make sense when taken in the context of the whole.  The musical concept of "wrong note dissonance" is not new.  Listen to any of Charles Ives' music and there are so many examples it makes the head spin, but they all resolve into the whole in a way that makes sense.

With all this in mind how can the wrong note in this case really be wrong?  The question here is really not one of wrong or right, but of how it resolves into the whole, and as Cert,The T, myself and others have repeatedly pointed out, you can either like it or not like it as you own personal tastes, or biases dictate.

Of course the explanation given by Tom is applicable to a wrong note in a measure of right notes, often during a key-change, and not to this aledged example where Emerson "solo" continues in the old key when the ostinato bass line changes key, but the point still stands - you can either like it or not like it as your own personal tastes.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: January 30 2012 at 13:03

I don't think there's a goal in Keith Emerson's solo in the beginning of Tarkus. It also meets my expectancies and it doesn't seem to be used to resolve a note (that's my conclusion after seeing the score.) My track is also the proof that it could still sound good (to me) without being completely off road in the middle of about every mesures (well, that's my opinion).

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 30 2012 at 13:41

I don't think there's a goal in Keith Emerson's solo in the beginning of Tarkus. It also meets my expectancies and it doesn't seem to be used to resolve a note (that's my conclusion after seeing the score.) My track is also the proof that it could still sound good (to me) without being completely off road in the middle of about every mesures (well, that's my opinion).

I see you use the phrase "it could still sound good" implying that it sounded good before you changed it. I think it would help a lot of people (myself included) if you could indicate precisely where you think Emerson went "wrong".

The harmonic lead in of Tarkus is not "goal oriented" because it is unchanging - there is nothing to resolve because nothing has changed - what we have here is the opposite of expectation, which is why I said Tom's explanation was not applicable to this (Tarkus).

Your original premise was (and I quote):

"I don't think Keith Emerson knows his music theory pretty well
and "Keith Emerson don't know all the subtilities of musical theory and the link between the theory and composition"
and "I'm sure he does not master it perfectly"
and "He sure knows a bit of his musical rules but not enough and still want to apply the rules he learned but it's not always working"
and "Keith Emerson's dissonances sound only like errors"
and "I simply say that he doesn't seem to know it enough"
and "that still does a dissonance because he doesn't consider chord change or the note he should play"
and "he doesn't consider the chord changes in the beginning of Tarkus, and the notes he should play (if it was by the book), he does not play them"
It is impossible for me to demonstrate how much Emerson knows of Music Theory, just as it is impossible for you to demonstrate that he does not. However, we know he has had some level of classical training in the UK (ie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Board_of_the_Royal_Schools_of_Music" rel="nofollow - he possibly is ABRSM Graded  from an early age) - that will have covered Music Theory (anyone Grade 5 or over has to pass Theory examinations) and since he can play and arrange complex classical pieces it suggests he not only knows it, he understands it. You are saying that because he ignores some rules, he shows that he does not understand them. I say this is an error by you.

What I have attempted to show is that Music Theory is not the Golden Rule that MUST be followed - sure you have to follow these "rules" when you are learning music and want to pass examinations to gain certificates and honours to show to your teachers and examiners that you actually understand the theories you have learnt, but once you are free from academic learning you can do whatever you like.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: January 30 2012 at 14:13
Dean, the re-post of the 2008 post by Trademark was nice.

I think in the end it's just all those 4ths which are confusing The Jester, many people are so used to the most common intervals of 3rds and 5ths that can not get the 4ths, that's too bad.

Tarkus and many other songs by ELP have been covered by an endless number of musicians, ELP have toured with an orchestra.... if Keith's music was wrong all these musicians wouldn' have done so, I guess that says it all.

Date Posted: January 30 2012 at 15:39

I see you use the phrase "it could still sound good" implying that it sounded good before you changed it. I think it would help a lot of people (myself included) if you could indicate precisely where you think Emerson went "wrong".

The harmonic lead in of Tarkus is not "goal oriented" because it is unchanging - there is nothing to resolve because nothing has changed - what we have here is the opposite of expectation, which is why I said Tom's explanation was not applicable to this (Tarkus).

Your original premise was (and I quote):

"I don't think Keith Emerson knows his music theory pretty well
and "Keith Emerson don't know all the subtilities of musical theory and the link between the theory and composition"
and "I'm sure he does not master it perfectly"
and "He sure knows a bit of his musical rules but not enough and still want to apply the rules he learned but it's not always working"
and "Keith Emerson's dissonances sound only like errors"
and "I simply say that he doesn't seem to know it enough"
and "that still does a dissonance because he doesn't consider chord change or the note he should play"
and "he doesn't consider the chord changes in the beginning of Tarkus, and the notes he should play (if it was by the book), he does not play them"
It is impossible for me to demonstrate how much Emerson knows of Music Theory, just as it is impossible for you to demonstrate that he does not. However, we know he has had some level of classical training in the UK (ie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Board_of_the_Royal_Schools_of_Music" rel="nofollow - he possibly is ABRSM Graded  from an early age) - that will have covered Music Theory (anyone Grade 5 or over has to pass Theory examinations) and since he can play and arrange complex classical pieces it suggests he not only knows it, he understands it. You are saying that because he ignores some rules, he shows that he does not understand them. I say this is an error by you.

What I have attempted to show is that Music Theory is not the Golden Rule that MUST be followed - sure you have to follow these "rules" when you are learning music and want to pass examinations to gain certificates and honours to show to your teachers and examiners that you actually understand the theories you have learnt, but once you are free from academic learning you can do whatever you like.

You're right about the fact that we can't prove if one or the other says right and it was actually my fun of finding a subject on wich nobody could respond exactly but try to convince the others to their opinion. I searched on the web and I can't find out if he studied in music so maybe you could help me find the info. I'll edit my topic since my opinion slightly changed. I must admit that musical rules are not golden rules but what I wanted you to reflect on in the first place is that you should check on yourself before pointing others. The only thing I wanted to point out is that I think that Keith Emerson's solo isn't logical if we stick to the chord change and could be a lot better to my ears.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 30 2012 at 15:49
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Dean, the re-post of the 2008 post by Trademark was nice.

I think in the end it's just all those 4ths which are confusing The Jester, many people are so used to the most common intervals of 3rds and 5ths that can not get the 4ths, that's too bad.

Tarkus and many other songs by ELP have been covered by an endless number of musicians, ELP have toured with an orchestra.... if Keith's music was wrong all these musicians wouldn' have done so, I guess that says it all.

I really like the 4ths and the riff in Tarkus is amazing. My point is that his solo doesn't stick to the form of the song and that it is not logical. It sure creates dissonance but I think it is unwanted. I too like dissonance in a lot of things (free jazz, contemporary classic, progressive rock, etc.) but I think that his solo is not supposed to be as dissonant as that.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: January 30 2012 at 16:49

You're right about the fact that we can't prove if one or the other says right and it was actually my fun of finding a subject on wich nobody could respond exactly but try to convince the others to their opinion. I searched on the web and I can't find out if he studied in music so maybe you could help me find the info. I'll edit my topic since my opinion slightly changed. I must admit that musical rules are not golden rules but what I wanted you to reflect on in the first place is that you should check on yourself before pointing others. The only thing I wanted to point out is that I think that Keith Emerson's solo isn't logical if we stick to the chord change and could be a lot better to my ears.
I will try and excuse the tone and phrasing of your post as English is not your first language, though I am finding that a little difficult since it makes the whole thread look like trolling to me and I find that inexcusable. Also editing the OP after 80 posts have been made in reply to it I also find distasteful. I suggest that is something you reflect on. Stern Smile

-------------
What?

Date Posted: January 30 2012 at 16:59

You were not trolled. You gave me your opinion and that's fine. Because of your arguments (wich were certainly not bad) you made me reflect on some aspects I could never think about. My opinion changed a bit because I had reflexions on the subject. Evolution is certainly not a bad thing. If you don't like me changing the post, I'll take it back to it's original form. This is a subject on wich I reflected and it is distateful I agree.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: February 01 2012 at 16:07
A weird thread really. It needs to lay down and die peacfully.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk