Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84468
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 10:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman?
Posted By: 1967/ 1976
Subject: Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman?
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 10:00
Which of these two keyboards wizards from 60's & 70's do you prefer?

or

(P.s.: I vote for Wakeman)

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: PabstRibbon
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 10:07
Wakeman anytime 

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 10:27
wakeman

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 10:43
Again this question?

Always Emerson above anyone else.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 10:48
Tony Banks! From the list though, I choose Wakeman.

-------------

Posted By: elpprogster
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 11:15

Mummy or Daddy?

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 11:17
Emo

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 11:19
Originally posted by elpprogster elpprogster wrote:

Mummy or Daddy?

LOL

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 11:35
both are awesome

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: spknoevl
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 11:56
Without a doubt, Keith was the driving musical force behind ELP, despite Lake's ballads.  On the other hand, Wakeman's first recording with Yes, Fragile, while slightly expanding the band's sonic pallette, doesn't sound all that different from The Yes Album with Tony Kaye.  I'd argue that Steve Howe was the driving musical force in the band during that period and even the follow up, Close to the Edge, with it's more integrated keyboards wasn't that huge a departure for the band. 

Using the logic that Yes would have probaby enjoyed the same success if Kaye had stayed, or if someone else had taken over his spot, while at the same time arguing that ELP would not have even existed with Emerson, my vote has to go to Keith.  Though, in all honesty, I have tremendous respect for both men.

-------------
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 12:39
As I have said several times before, I will take Wakeman's finesse over Emerson's bombast any day if I have to choose one over the other.  Fortunately, I do not have to make that choice and I can enjoy either one as the mood hits me.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 12:57
Rick Wakeman

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 15:22
I'll vote both
Keith is my hero but Rick was one of the few that deserved to be considered on a similar level circa 1973.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 16:12
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Tony Banks! From the list though, I choose Wakeman.

This.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 16:26
It's since 1973 that I hear this question. Dead  No vote....and a suggestion for Marian Varga who has a bit of both

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 17:45
Emerson by far
     never been a big Wakeman fan

though my personal favorite is Jurgen Fritz

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 18:05
Wakeman easily for me. Though I also like some ELP, I just love what Wakeman does with music. Both with Yes and Solo (as a matter of fact, I would rate more Wakmean albums with 5 stars than Yes albums, and both Yes albums I would rate with 5 stars include Wakeman... while, at the same time, I know no ELP album I would rate with 5 stars).

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 19:11
I much prefer Emerson.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Slaughternalia
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 19:25
Emerson, no contest. I also agree with those saying Tony Banks is better than both tho

-------------
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't

Posted By: geneyesontle
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 19:46
Rick Wakeman. Keith Emerson is overrated

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: January 26 2012 at 06:26
Neither.  Too much "talkative".

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 26 2012 at 16:35
Barbara!

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: January 26 2012 at 18:34

I think I'll not need to explain my choice.

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: January 26 2012 at 19:04
Wakeman. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: January 27 2012 at 01:25
Emerson

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2012 at 01:50
Originally posted by geneyesontle geneyesontle wrote:

Keith Emerson is overrated
just out of interest why do you think that? (or are you just stating a preference?)

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: January 27 2012 at 02:39
Oh! I'm here since September 2007 and I've seen any poll named "Emerson vs. Wakeman" not less than 6 times. Haven't you anything more original?Sleepy

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Gentle Gryphon
Date Posted: January 27 2012 at 02:51
Definitely Wakeman...Although Emerson is a prog God, I think there's more harmony and elegance in Rick's music..

Date Posted: January 28 2012 at 03:06
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

Oh! I'm here since September 2007 and I've seen any poll named "Emerson vs. Wakeman" not less than 6 times. Haven't you anything more original?Sleepy
at least there is a 'both' optionBig smile did the other ones have that?

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: January 31 2012 at 06:01
Originally posted by PabstRibbon PabstRibbon wrote:

Wakeman anytime 

+1

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: January 31 2012 at 06:28
Emerson has been much more innovating, and made some mind blowing compositions.
I prefer him both as an artist and a player.
I do like Wakeman's fluent, and often sunny, major key style of playing a lot, though, and he also made some great compositions too.

Posted By: JeanFrame
Date Posted: February 01 2012 at 09:49
I never like these comparisons; to me Emerson and Wakeman are both excellent with different strengths and weaknesses, as with any human technician! But Emerson carried the band on his own (following Ritchie); Wakeman excelled at solo pieces within the framework (and comfort zone) of a full band. So Emerson (if I have to vote!).

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 01 2012 at 11:21
Like them both, slight edge to Wakeman.  i think Rick's main shortcoming is too many solo albums.  When you put out that sort of quantity it's bound to be hit and miss.  But yea, I was fans of both before I became totally prog addicted. Toccata really blew me away and I'm a bigger fan of Journey To The Center, and King Arthur than most.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: salvcar
Date Posted: April 09 2012 at 15:58
Mr. RW

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: April 09 2012 at 18:28
Wakeman is pretty much a stripped down version of Emerson, so Emerson.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: April 09 2012 at 19:12
Emerson is the most diverse and proficient keyboardist I've ever known, and I can easily memorize his melodies. Wakeman, on the other hand, has crazier organ solos, especially the one on 'Close to the Edge'. I will go in the favor of emo over skill. Wakeman. 

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: April 09 2012 at 19:22
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

Think of it as an opportunity for the people to re-vote. There might be an "Emerson vs. Wakeman 2013" thread LOL .

Posted By: dennismoore
Date Posted: April 09 2012 at 22:08
Originally posted by elpprogster elpprogster wrote:

Mummy or Daddy?

This lad has it sussed. Which is more important to you?

Forgive me for saying but this is like choosing between Brahms & Beethoven. Perhaps the world will never see more great masters like Bach, Brahms & Beethoven, etc...but Emerson & Wakeman are as good as it gets in their time
(yes, I will also toss Tony Banks in thereSmile)

As a piano player who can play some of both Emerson & Wakeman, I can say:

Emerson's work is much more complex and harder to play. His writing is a thrill to analyze.  It almost sounds great on the staff, when you look at it.

Wakeman's work has more pomp and classical flair and dare I say fun?  Wakeman was obviously a much more successful solo artist able to carry a whole band by himself. Rick's compositions are much easier to play than Emerson's.

-------------
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 09 2012 at 22:19
Emerson up to Works Vol. I, Wakeman thereafter.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: April 10 2012 at 02:01
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Wakeman's work has more pomp and classical flair and dare I say fun?  Wakeman was obviously a much more successful solo artist able to carry a whole band by himself. Rick's compositions are much easier to play than Emerson's.
Puzzled by the comment that Wakeman was able to carry a whole band by himself. I presume you are talking about his solo band. I've seen both with their repective solo bands and they both carry their bands very obviously. If we are talking Yes and ELP then Emerson regularly had to carry ELP much more than Wakeman did in Yes. Yes existed quite happilly before Rick joined and has been more than able to cope without him after he left. ELP without Emerson? Well its never happened so its pointless musiing over it. Who could have replaced Emerson ? - Patrick Moraz who replaced him very successfully in Refguee (The Nice under a different name) and then replaced Wakeman in Yes. So in conclusion the best is ermm..Moraz ...no that wasn't the point I was makingLOL

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: April 10 2012 at 18:23
Emerson.

-------------

Posted By: dennismoore
Date Posted: April 10 2012 at 20:53
Ola Amigo, Smile

yes, I meant as a solo artist.  Live and on record!

Rick has solo masterpieces!

Journey
King Arthur
6 Wives

Keith has very little solo fanfare.

Estamos hablando de cosas diferentes

Yes, you are right ELP is a trio and keyboard driven at that.  So take away Emerson and it falls, but not to sell Greg Lake short, he had perhaps the best caliber voice in prog and wrote classics such as Take A Pebble & Knife Edge, not just those famous ballads.  I can't imagine Pirates or Tarkus without Greg.

P.S. I voted for "both" but it is nice to see Emerson overtake Wakeman in the poll.  Keith Emerson's writing is a genuinely original style and his work could be analyzed endlessly. I would pick him if I were forced to, but I refuse as it would be pointless. Smile  YES is my favorite band overall, so does that make me a Judas to pick Emerson?

-------------
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire

Posted By: theadolescentprogger
Date Posted: April 19 2012 at 12:43
Emerson any day! Rick, you're awesome but in hayday he was the best!

Date Posted: April 19 2012 at 19:03
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Ola Amigo, Smileyes, I meant as a solo artist.  Live and on record!Rick has solo masterpieces!JourneyKing Arthur6 WivesKeith has very little solo fanfare.Estamos hablando de cosas diferentesYes, you are right ELP is a trio and keyboard driven at that.  So take away Emerson and it falls, but not to sell Greg Lake short, he had perhaps the best caliber voice in prog and wrote classics such as Take A Pebble & Knife Edge, not just those famous ballads.  I can't imagine Pirates or Tarkus without Greg.P.S. I voted for "both" but it is nice to see Emerson overtake Wakeman in the poll.  Keith Emerson's writing is a genuinely original style and his work could be analyzed endlessly. I would pick him if I were forced to, but I refuse as it would be pointless. Smile  YES is my favorite band overall, so does that make me a Judas to pick Emerson?

Hello, this is out of toppic, but whenever I read you writing in spanish, I just can't help pronouncing it in my mind with that American (or Gringo) accent. I only hope you won't picture my posts with latin accent from now on

Posted By: clotomic
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 01:24
Good afternoon, days and nights! Although I risk to seem cocky, really do not understand how that doubt the essential curricular and primacy of Emerson. Nothing as clear as his icon figure expresses keyboards and progressive rock, with a strong ability to compose, arrange and especially perform. K. E. about as anyone, diverse musical fields, thanks to the synthesizer, syncretic vision. A curriculum for the evolution of music, eloquent, and profiling with The Nice

Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 01:29
^bad translation program?

Guessing that was a vote for EmersonSmile

Posted By: N-sz
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 01:48
Couldn't decide--had to go with both.
I can't say they're quite my favorites, but once in a while I specifically get in the mood to listen to a bunch of both ELP and Wakeman solo albums.

-------------
https://blankspacerecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Blank Space Records

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 04:32
Nice poll. Emerson just takes it for being a little more adventurous. Both are incredible though Big smile

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 08:49
Emerson

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 09:01
Wakeman in a landslide. all respects for Keith, however!!

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 09:02
Emerson had the quicker chops and  and the rock and roll showmaship but Wakeman brought class to prog and his later number of solo albums and collaberations showed an almost endless well of musical ideas, so it's Sir Rick for me.  Thumbs Up

Posted By: LSDisease
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:00
Emerson by a mile. 

-------------
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:18
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^bad translation program?

Guessing that was a vote for EmersonSmile
Full marks for use of the word "syncretic" though!

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 22:31
Both.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 22:36
Wakeman

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 00:14
Prog would be orphan without any of them, had to vote "both" even if that's like not voting at all. Personally Emerson has always been my favourite, probably because Tarkus and Trilogy are the first Prog albums I remember listening to when I was a child and they were responsible for my life-long love for Prog. He was also an innovator and he would stick to his way of seeing things, not falling into the hypes or trends, as confirmed by his rejection of the Mellotron when every keyboardist at the time wanted one dearly.
Wakeman jumped on the train of mixing genuinely classical music in the rock and made very good albums at it, but I believe that Keith was the one having the more genuine vision of wanting to make modern "classical-rock" music. It's had to guess but I'm not sure Wakeman would have done what he did if Emerson had not existed.
Considering the total length of their careers though, Wakeman has produced more consistently good music.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 00:22
Ricky, man! Cool Just for his sh@# on albums like Close to the Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans 

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 00:57
Emerson is a better, more diverse player and was the main composer in ELP. Wakeman played on Yes' best works and has a substantial solo career. I think from that it's clear that Emerson has the greater stature in prog.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 02:47
Keith Emerson

Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 03:24
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Prog would be orphan without any of them, had to vote "both" even if that's like not voting at all. Personally Emerson has always been my favourite, probably because Tarkus and Trilogy are the first Prog albums I remember listening to when I was a child and they were responsible for my life-long love for Prog. He was also an innovator and he would stick to his way of seeing things, not falling into the hypes or trends, as confirmed by his rejection of the Mellotron when every keyboardist at the time wanted one dearly.
Wakeman jumped on the train of mixing genuinely classical music in the rock and made very good albums at it, but I believe that Keith was the one having the more genuine vision of wanting to make modern "classical-rock" music. It's had to guess but I'm not sure Wakeman would have done what he did if Emerson had not existed.
Considering the total length of their careers though, Wakeman has produced more consistently good music.

Agree on many things although I do think that Emerson's solo career is a little underrated while Wakeman has made a fair few albums that could be avoided although I like the Retro (1 & 2) and Out There albums.
Emerson has a much smaller catalogue of solo albums but even his last one ( The Keith Emerson Band ft Marc Bonilla) is excellent and there aren't any ones that should be avoided. Pleased to see Changing States get a reissue as well.

Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 21:38

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Agree on many things although I do think that Emerson's solo career is a little underrated while Wakeman has made a fair few albums that could be avoided although I like the Retro (1 & 2) and Out There albums.
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Emerson has a much smaller catalogue of solo albums but even his last one ( The Keith Emerson Band ft Marc Bonilla) is excellent and there aren't any ones that should be avoided. Pleased to see Changing States get a reissue as well.</span>

I don't think that Rick's doing avoidable albums is a fair way of taking points away from him. He has done so many of them that they almost can't even be counted. Unfortunatley I have only heard one solo album from Emerson, the last one, which was nice, but there are many albums from Wakeman that I like better... actually, I wouldn't be surprised if there was none of his albums that I would like better than Wakeman's 70's classic albums (and some other later albums too). Even more so, there are at least 3 or 4 albums from Wakeman that I like better than any ELP album, and then I can even add Fragile and CttE.

Date Posted: July 29 2014 at 01:13
Wakeman's solo career is a bit strange - great at the beginning and great recently ( hopefully not the end). I love Six Wives which was a defining keyboard album , one of the very best for certain but not sure he ever again reached that level of brilliance. Criminal Record comes close though.

I was bigging up Keith Emerson as I am obviously a massive fan but there is a general consistency about his solo releases which is pleasing and that is because he has not just put out a load of stuff for the sake of it. Also since Changing States he was formed a very nice sometime collaboration with Marc Bonilla which produced the excellent Three Fates project as well as the KE band ft Marc Bonilla album. There hasn't been enough new music though and the need to fall back on ELP to presumably pay the bills hasn't helped. His partnership with Lake has been virtually dead from a creative point of view ever since Black Moon in 1992.

Pre Marc Bonilla and ELPowell  Emerson made 3 albums that should be taken seriously - Inferno (Dario Argento s/t) , Nighthwawks and Honky. Some very good music on those 3 albums. Honky is a more relaxed Emerson but no lack of creativity.

Of course Wakeman has had a prolific solo career but the quality to quantity ratio is well below that of Emerson's.

Posted By: gaz-pacho
Date Posted: August 04 2015 at 18:17
Wakeman for ever

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: August 04 2015 at 19:47
Keith Emerson

Date Posted: August 04 2015 at 21:26

Wakeman's solo career is a bit strange - great at the beginning and great recently ( hopefully not the end). I love Six Wives which was a defining keyboard album , one of the very best for certain but not sure he ever again reached that level of brilliance. Criminal Record comes close though.

I was bigging up Keith Emerson as I am obviously a massive fan but there is a general consistency about his solo releases which is pleasing and that is because he has not just put out a load of stuff for the sake of it. Also since Changing States he was formed a very nice sometime collaboration with Marc Bonilla which produced the excellent Three Fates project as well as the KE band ft Marc Bonilla album. There hasn't been enough new music though and the need to fall back on ELP to presumably pay the bills hasn't helped. His partnership with Lake has been virtually dead from a creative point of view ever since Black Moon in 1992.

Pre Marc Bonilla and ELPowell  Emerson made 3 albums that should be taken seriously - Inferno (Dario Argento s/t) , Nighthwawks and Honky. Some very good music on those 3 albums. Honky is a more relaxed Emerson but no lack of creativity.

Of course Wakeman has had a prolific solo career but the quality to quantity ratio is well below that of Emerson's.

Once again I wouldn't go with the quality to quantity ratio to rate Wakeman, it would surely drop to the floor if we go that way. But just the quantity of great albums, and the quantity of good albums. And that's enough for me to love what he has done solo... come on, I actually love more of his solo albums than Yes albums themselves. Also, about the bad albums, it's very easy to deal with them, don't listen to them, and you would be left with at least 5, if not 10 wonderful albums to listen to, and that's more than the entire discography of many bands... and even more than the worthwile albums of most bands.

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 04:55
...and now I see Emerson is hinting at retirement.  I would have loved to have gone to the Three Fates concert the other Friday but what Emerson wrote on his website about it was rather dispiriting (well done, BBC Concert Orchestra...)  On the other hand, I can't take Wakeman seriously these days and his creative peak ended with most prog bands by the late 70s

Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 22:13
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

...and now I see Emerson is hinting at retirement.  I would have loved to have gone to the Three Fates concert the other Friday but what Emerson wrote on his website about it was rather dispiriting (well done, BBC Concert Orchestra...)  On the other hand, I can't take Wakeman seriously these days and his creative peak ended with most prog bands by the late 70s

Well, Wakeman did very little on the 00's, but the album "Out There" is really wonderful, right on par with his classics from the 70's, and there are some really nice songs on his two Retro albums.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: August 06 2015 at 03:06
Nice to see this poll got rekindled after a short recess LOL.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: August 06 2015 at 12:28
Wakeman FTW!!!

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 06 2015 at 12:41
The Caped Crusader.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 19 2018 at 17:11
I'm going with Wakeman on this one.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 19 2018 at 17:41
I'm choosing both - I can't compare them fairly. Rick's style is more classical-based whilst Keith's was more jazz-influenced. Neither could play like the other or do justice to each other's work. Their piano improvisations are completely different live. Two great prog icons we can be proud of!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 19 2018 at 19:12
I've enjoyed Ricks odd unique style on those great 70's Yes albums and some of his----Bruford said Rick didn't have a blue note in him---Keith did---maybe thats why I like Rick's style more

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 19 2018 at 19:21
Love both, but Emerson was better.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: March 19 2018 at 21:11
I admit to being biased.  Wakeman's solo output was brilliant, and he had a more diverse recording career.  

However, I saw Emerson do some amazing things in concert, and his output was remarkable.  RIP Keith.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 19 2018 at 23:24
Wakeman. Both have had big egos, but I think Wakeman has always had more interesting things to say about his playing. Emerson just had too much just his skills showing in his playing, also had quite bad synth sound taste in the seventies. Also, Wakeman is quite jolly guy, have had many laughs about his doings.

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 06:25
I levelled it up for Wakeman. I think he has a more quality end to his output despite the amount of bilge he has also put his name to.....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 07:56
Both.....some fine work on multiple albums by these two keyboard men.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 13:53
Both (but I voted for Wakey.)

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 13:56
Both overrated.

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 13:59
prefer Wakeman and the bands he played in

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 15:08
Emerson 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 16:41
love Wakeman .. I mean who doesn't...

but Emerson was perhaps prog's single greatest and most infuential musican. I mean..  seriously.. if could point to one individual responsible for prog rock.. it was Emerson.  Wakeman was nice.. but really has nothing on Emerson for what they did and meant to prog.  Plus.. to be honest.. he is more fun to listen to.  He wasnt just a supporting player in a great band.. he was THE player around which the sound was based around.  That took talent.. and some balls.. for everyone loves w**king guitarists.. but keyboardists.  To do that.. wow man..  that is the reason he won all those keyboardist polls for as many years as he did. The Hendirx of the keys...   perhaps Wakeman had it in him.. had the sheer talent.. to do that.. but he didn't.  

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 16:52
Rick but honestly not by much. Both are great. 

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 21:15
Grumpy Old Rick

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 21:58
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

love Wakeman .. I mean who doesn't...

but Emerson was perhaps prog's single greatest and most infuential musican. I mean..  seriously.. if could point to one individual responsible for prog rock.. it was Emerson.  Wakeman was nice.. but really has nothing on Emerson for what they did and meant to prog.  Plus.. to be honest.. he is more fun to listen to.  He wasnt just a supporting player in a great band.. he was THE player around which the sound was based around.  That took talent.. and some balls.. for everyone loves w**king guitarists.. but keyboardists.  To do that.. wow man..  that is the reason he won all those keyboardist polls for as many years as he did. The Hendirx of the keys...   perhaps Wakeman had it in him.. had the sheer talent.. to do that.. but he didn't.  

I guess Emerson was indeed more influential and all, and what ELP did could hardly be surpassed... at least as far as keyboard driven prog goes. But I wouldn't say Wakeman didn't have it in him... yes, in Yes he was just another musician (but then, what do you do in a band where every single musician is as brilliant in their instrument as Wakeman was on keyboards?), but in his solo albums the focus was all on keyboards, and he did take the spotlight. Only, he didn't gather a single band to support him, but went the solo way. And he did follow his vision regardless of what common commercial sense would dictate... and was succesful in doing so (except that the disc companies executives took advantage of him, as far as I understand).

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 23:03
"Both" was available, making it too easy to choose that one!

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: March 20 2018 at 23:05
Rick

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: May 15 2018 at 13:16
I prefer Yes to ELP. That being said, having seen both play live I honestly believe Keith was the better player.
Rick is great, but Keith gets the edge. 

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: May 16 2018 at 07:49
Too close to call but I'll vote for Wakeman as he is still kicking ass.
Saw ARW last year and was very impressed by the caped one...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk