Print Page | Close Window

Flash Reforms with Ray Bennett & Colin Carter, CD

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84617
Printed Date: March 19 2024 at 01:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Flash Reforms with Ray Bennett & Colin Carter, CD
Posted By: sherrynoland
Subject: Flash Reforms with Ray Bennett & Colin Carter, CD
Date Posted: January 30 2012 at 20:34
(Go to the end of the thread for latest FLASH press releases.  The administrators aren't allowing new threads for Flash news...)

Colin Carter and Ray Bennett are hard at work on the last track for the long-awaited new Flash CD. 

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/yes-offshoot-flash-reforms-for-a-new-album" rel="nofollow - http://www.goldminemag.com/article/yes-offshoot-flash-reforms-for-a-new-album

4/29/2013 update:  
At last!!!
The new CD is now available for order - 
http://www.amazon.com/Featuring-Ray-Bennett-Colin-Carter/dp/B00BY8DLF8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365205161&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=flash+featuring+rob+bennett" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Featuring-Ray-Bennett-Colin-Carter/dp/B00BY8DLF8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365205161&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=flash+featuring+rob+bennett

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter

Replies:
Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: January 30 2012 at 21:46
That was not as fast as I expected.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2012 at 21:46
I've asked Ray for a sneak preview snippit of something.  I'll see if I can post something here soon....

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter

Date Posted: January 31 2012 at 00:54

Date Posted: January 31 2012 at 00:58

Solo by new Flash keyboardist, Rick Daugherty from the tune, "Dark Shadows" on the band's upcoming CD.

Date Posted: January 31 2012 at 02:14
Another FLASH 2012 clip from "Dark Shadows"...

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: January 31 2012 at 09:48
Great news!

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 01 2012 at 01:01
Thanks, Sherry!!  Great stuff, can't wait!

Date Posted: February 01 2012 at 17:20
More to come....

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 22:45
Colin has arrived and "the boys" are back at it, working on what may turn out to be an acoustic version of "Manhattan Morning" from their third album--a fresh redo of a very pretty tune and one of my favorites from early Flash.

I'll keep you posted on how it's going.  And maybe get some new photos and video to share.

Also in the works--coming up with a name for the new CD and a cover design.

Any suggestions, anyone? 

Names currently under consideration:

FLASH IV  (As some of you know, it'll be the 4th Flash album)
FLASH 4
FLASH 4WORD
FLASH 2012

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 23:21
Tongue
Originally posted by sherrynoland sherrynoland wrote:

Colin has arrived and "the boys" are back at it, working on what may turn out to be an acoustic version of "Manhattan Morning" from their third album--a fresh redo of a very pretty tune and one of my favorites from early Flash.

I'll keep you posted on how it's going.  And maybe get some new photos and video to share.

Also in the works--coming up with a name for the new CD and a cover design.

Any suggestions, anyone?  How would you like to be the one to name it?  (Watch your language!)

Names currently under consideration:

FLASH IV  (As some of you know, it'll be the 4th Flash album)
FLASH 4
FLASH 4WORD
FLASH 2012

hmmmm...."Out Of Our Way"?  Nice followup to "Out of Our Hands"!  Clap

And, the cover BETTER involve nude female parts & lots of 'em!  We Flash fans demand no less!!  Big smile

Thanks, Sherry!  Like you, I also love "Manhattan Morning," first time I heard it was in concert, it blew me away!  

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 01:25

Managed to grab a couple of shots as Flash wrapped up their first rehearsal today...

Colin, Ray and keyboard player, Rick Daugherty

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 09:09
Looking forward to the new album.

But a cigarette in the nose?  Really?

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 15:14
A cigarette in the nose is worth two in the bush...:)

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 07:53
Hi,

I like "Flash4word"

And yeah ... a word like that would probably require another Hipgnosis cover, just not sure ol' Stormm wants to do it though!

Only concern is that the word would suggest something more internal and psychic than the band's music and work might entail and the idea or concept is not on par with the band's work at all.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 17 2012 at 02:16
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll pass them along.  "Out of Our Way" got a chuckle!  The belief is that the perfect title will present itself when the album is finished.  I'll keep you posted.

Work on the last track went VERY well.  It took some doing, but everyone is really pleased with the new approach to "Manhattan Morning".  Now some mastering and then it's a wrap... 

Date Posted: February 17 2012 at 18:29
Hi,

Note: I hope you don't mind some wax'ing poetic and philosophical and this is (obviously) not the same issue for everyone.

At 61, I can look back and tell you that there were a lot of things I loved ... and I still have not stopped loving them.

There are some things, in life, that live forever. One of them we all know, and we have a word for it. That is a 4 letter word that at one time was valuable and meant something ... that was forgotten. We all know that word, but we tend to forget what it means, and many times, we wish we had not mis-interpreted that word, and then made a mistake that we do not always think ... very well about, or care to look at it ... and appreciate it.

There is one other thing in my life, and I will use a couple of examples on my short stories. I have not written any of these for almost 22 years or so, and when I look at them today, I admire the ability to have written it, and I look at it as ... very interesting, and I am happy that I wrote it, and still give credit to that one woman in my life, that still means more to me than ... just about anyone else. 

Because it reminds me of her, and she went her own way a couple of years later ... it would be easy for me to think that ... this and that ... and this and that ... I never have. I have always respected and appreciated her for who she was and being herself ... and made her decisions ... which in this case did not feature me.

Since then I have had many other poems and stories and they might, or might not connect ... "You ... are no longer a vision, or a poem" is one of the strongest ones ... but in the end, I have a tremendous love, care, and appreciation for the work that was done, even if today I would do it differently.

So I'm talking to Holger one time, and I happened to love the first two albums ... he didn't. The "insanity" and the "craziness" was not what he was about ... and yet, there it is in the music and the work ... and experimentation at its best ... which he never did again -- at least in the totally crazy way and style that was there.

Now, there was one funny thing here ... and one day I had a nice discussion with a couple of folks that are a part of Gong, with whom I have a warm sympathy based on the "literary'ness" of their work, and how for them, yesterday is today, and tomorrow is today and tomorrow was yesterday ... and that's that. And this past week I saw that film that talks about Ken Kesey's big trip ... and there is something in there ... that is really valuable, although a lot of folks might think ... that's insane ... but listen to what Ken says about the trip itself towards the end ... it's so subtle, quite, soft, and important ... that the whole thing is almost ... nothing when compared to that comment ... and it explains why some folks went (to have fun and whatever) ... and what it meant for Ken ... that some never understood on that trip .... which comes across in one other example to give you an idea of how we mis-interpret ... our own lives ... the comment about Nurse Ratchet ... she's not evil ... she's just doing her job for a society that demanded it, or a hospital that demanded it ... we still look at it, when we read the book, that she is the nasty one, not just an employee ... that was trapped like everyone else!

Now comes the saddest part of my life. Nowehere, in my life have I seen more __________________ (use your own words here) than I have in the world of music. If it was not this, it was that. If it wasn't Mr. Balloon Balls that ripped so many folks off, or someone else, it was this band and that band not getting along, or some folks that did not get along, or some folks that supposedly ripped off someone else (don't ask Patrick Moraz about that!)  and what not ...

And you know the saddest part of all that? ... the quantity of music and beautiful work that people put together that got lost, hidden, and buried alive ... and you know what I just thought of?

I do not know of many of us that want to bury our children or the results of our hearts ... it may not be perfect and be with someone ... but in the end, it is work that we did, and helped us learn something about ourselves, and hopefully something that is far more important than ourselves ... the obvious question is ... do we know what that is, and are we interested in the one and only muse that will ever help us create something more meaningful ... than just a few notes of music. It will be you for a moment ... and someone else the next ... and a fleeting wind ... or thought ... right after it ... gone ...

With much heart and i wish the band the very best ... but don't forget the source ... there is only one that matters!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 17 2012 at 19:51
Good thing they're reformed. Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 12:28

Another FLASH 2012 clip from "Dark Shadows"...

Very interesting ... a sound that actually is "before" the group YES actually ... with less synthesizer and more organic keyboard sounds, as simple as an organ ... very nice actually.

While I like that a lot, in my world there is no reason to not have synthesizers or add another dimension to the overall sound ... but yes ... that is my own view on it. 

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 13:19
Ray tells me there will be sythesizers, too, Moshkito.  I think there will be lots of surprises!  Something unexpected.  Something new.  Something very original.  Something FLASH....

Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 09:45

Ray tells me there will be sythesizers, too, Moshkito.  I think there will be lots of surprises!  Something unexpected.  Something new.  Something very original.  Something FLASH....

And I can tell you that I love a really good flash once in a while ... even at my/our old age a good flash is a wonderment! And always appreciated, too!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Dr. Occulator
Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 13:48
Ray kind of looks like Bill Nighy's character in Still Crazy! If I'm not mistaken his name was Ray also. Cool

-------------
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.

Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 01:57
Yes, he does, doesn't he.  I love that movie.  I love Bill Nighy too, and yes, his name was Ray!

Date Posted: March 30 2012 at 01:09
I've had a few requests for an update.  The final track (Manhattan Morning) is complete, and Ray is going over everything with a fine-tooth comb.  You can be sure, when you hear this, it will be the album the boys want it to be!

I may have some big news to announce soon, as well.  Stay tuned.

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: March 30 2012 at 11:45
I'm quite fond of the original flash and have high hopes for this.  Flash without Peter... hmmm.... I still have hopes.... but Peter was quite dominant originally...  hmmm... but plenty of guitarists can match his skills... hmmm.... but his creative/lazy approach?  hmmm.....

-------------

Date Posted: March 30 2012 at 12:52
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

I'm quite fond of the original flash and have high hopes for this.  Flash without Peter... hmmm.... I still have hopes.... but Peter was quite dominant originally...  hmmm... but plenty of guitarists can match his skills... hmmm.... but his creative/lazy approach?  hmmm.....

Ray's guitar chops have really progressed, GOM!  Check this out:

Date Posted: March 30 2012 at 16:43
My "news" -- No question this band is different without Peter and Mike, and that's why Ray and Colin are considering calling it The Bennett Carter Band instead of Flash.

That way, we can all appreciate the old band for what it was, and enjoy the new band in its own light.

As for Ray's guitar licks, Chuck, did you know he played guitar before bass? He's got good fingers!  

Date Posted: March 30 2012 at 23:09

My "news" -- No question this band is different without Peter and Mike, and that's why Ray and Colin are considering calling it The Bennett Carter Band instead of Flash.

That way, we can all appreciate the old band for what it was, and enjoy the new band in its own light.

As for Ray's guitar licks, Chuck, did you know he played guitar before bass? He's got good fingers!  

Hi Sherry!  Yeah, he told me about starting out on guitar as a lad!  His guitar playing is REALLY good, I even hear a bit of "King Crimson" vibe in there!  He was always good on any instrument he touched! 

BTW, I'd keep it as "Flash" if at all possible.  If Squire can have Yes limp along with him as the only founding member, Ray and Colin surely have the same right!  

How many on PA know that Ray and Chris Squire were flat-mates once upon a time?  Ask Ray about why Chris has the nickname "The Fish"!  

Date Posted: March 31 2012 at 00:27
Ha!  I believe it was because Chris spent so many hours in the bathtub...

Ray says the name will be determined by how it feels.  They certainly have the right to call it Flash, but there'll be no "limping along".

When they started back together, Ray says it definitely felt like Flash picking up where they left off.  But after more than a year working on new music, and with a new keyboard player, he's beginning to feel like it's got a life of its own--taking on a new identity.  There are similarities and differences.  We'll have to wait and see.

Whatever the name, it'll be Ray and Colin, and there will be lots of flash....

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: November 12 2012 at 13:04
Was anything ever released?

-------------

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 12 2012 at 13:30
That was my question too, Scott ^^^^^^^^^^

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2012 at 13:36
Not yet, but the recording is finished.  Still has to be mastered, and Ray is now at work on the cover art.  With Ray in Vegas and Colin in Oregon, it's a slow process, but progress is sure and steady.  I'll post the release date as soon as it's announced.  I'd love to find one in my Christmas stocking!!  Cheers.

Date Posted: November 12 2012 at 15:14
I'm looking forward to this.

-------------

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: November 13 2012 at 00:56
I'm
Unfamiliar with FLASH, but 40yrs of being disbanded and now coming back to release a new album???! Wow. That is an incredible story. I'm gonna look more into this. ;)

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Date Posted: November 13 2012 at 10:40
Hi,

At this pace, I will be dead before I hear anything ... oh well, the FLASH was nice ... at least as long as my eyes could see!

I can't help thinking that there is too much show and not enough go, by now ... but maybe my eyesight can't see anything anymore!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 13 2012 at 16:31
I understand your frustration, Moshkito, believe me!  I live with the guy making this happen and I feel it, too.  I watch him working on it, day in and day out.

Ray is the one who's been doing all the mixing, and in the process, changing arrangements, adding bits, refining, etc., and all of this without backing, or help.  He won't rush it; he loves what he's doing and won't release this until he's fully satisfied.  Maybe that's part of why Flash is what it is?  He tells me, "It takes the time it takes."  He feels the original three albums, as good as they were, were rushed and could have been even better. He has only one priority—to satisfy himself.  And no record company pushing him around.

Please don't die, or go blind.  Have faith; it's on its way!

Date Posted: January 01 2013 at 04:48
The long-awaited new FLASH CD will be released in March distributed world-wide by Cleopatra Records.  

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: January 01 2013 at 15:14
There's supposed to be the clappy emoticon, but it isn't showing up in the post.  Ah well, great news.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: January 02 2013 at 01:12

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 03 2013 at 22:32

The long-awaited new FLASH CD will be released in March distributed world-wide by Cleopatra Records.  

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!!!!!!!!

Cool, looking forward to hearing the new stuff!

Happy New Year!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: January 05 2013 at 11:54
Doesn't surprise me since Flash played at Progday a few years ago as headliner. Maybe you were there Sherry. Smile

Date Posted: January 05 2013 at 15:15
Yes, I was there, and loved it!  

Date Posted: January 05 2013 at 19:26
Something tells me you are the publicist for the band Flash. Nothing wrong with that. Anyway, I missed them that year. I went to PD in 02 then 05-08 straight(I was on the promotions team and volunteer from 06-08). 

Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 13:58
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Something tells me you are the publicist for the band Flash.  Anyway, I missed them that year.

I'm Ray's wife.  Maybe you'll get another chance to see them. Wink

Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 23:05
Oh cool. Maybe but they'd either have to do a tour in my area(I live real close to the Sellersville theater in PA...hint hint ;) )or they'd have to play another prog festival like maybe Rosfest or Progday again. Sadly, there's no longer Nearfest.

Also, I like your website. I actually got into spiritual stuff in part through hearing Jon Anderson interviews on the radio. Of course his solo stuff too and a little bit with Yes. Maybe I'll buy your book at some point. Good luck.

Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 05:14
I'm currently publicist for Flash, Mike.  And I booked them for ProgDay.  Nice to keep it in the family when you can! Thumbs Up

You're the first one here to comment on my website and my book.  It's a pretty intimate look at my life with Ray and my startling discovery of access to wisdom and guidance from super-conscious mind.  Artists use super-conscious mind during the creative process, whether they realize it, or not.  But it's something we can all do at will, consciously.  My journal is just a personal example of how it works and what it looks like.  Writing it was an amazing, life-changing experience.

Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 15:42
Here's a blurb from the record company with typical hype...

The first new Flash album in 30 years finds original members, Ray Bennett (lead guitar/bass/vocals) and Colin Carter (guitars/vocals), picking up where they left off with this new set of progressive melodic tunes reminiscent of early Yes!

The recent passing of founding Flash member (and original Yes guitarist), Peter Banks, has focused new attention on this hugely underrated band!

The band will be hitting the road this summer and releasing a vintage live album featuring Peter Banks later this year! --Official Press Release, Purple Pyramid/Cleopatra Records
Release date May 21st - Available now for pre-order.

http://www.amazon.com/Featuring-Ray-Bennett-Colin-Carter/dp/B00BY8DLF8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365205161&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=flash+featuring+rob+bennett" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Featuring-Ray-Bennett-Colin-Carter/dp/B00BY8DLF8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365205161&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=flash+featuring+rob+bennett

Ray has asked Cleopatra to remove the remark, "reminiscent of early Yes!"  He says it's NOT.  No need to tell you what it sounds like. You can decide for yourself.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 16:01
Clap

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: April 28 2013 at 03:27

Good news. But I must say that the unimaginative album title and sleeve do not show great promise. 

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 28 2013 at 04:12
^ it's not bad--  clean and simple

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 01:13
Some very brief song clips from the new CD on Amazon... 

http://www.amazon.com/Featuring-Ray-Bennett-Colin-Carter/dp/B00CK3MDI2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1367215626&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=flash+featuring+ray+bennett" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Featuring-Ray-Bennett-Colin-Carter/dp/B00CK3MDI2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1367215626&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=flash+featuring+ray+bennett

I'll try to get something lengthier to post.

Sorry, SSOTS, no female body parts this time.  And sad to say, good-guy genius, Storm Thorgerson of Hipgnosis who created two of Flash's memorable covers died a little over a week ago at the age of 69.

As for the title, on this first reunion CD, Ray decided that the most important thing was to make it clear to everyone that Flash is now Ray and Colin, no Pete.

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 11:33

Sorry, SSOTS, no female body parts this time.  And sad to say, good-guy genius, Storm Thorgerson of Hipgnosis who created two of Flash's memorable covers died a little over a week ago at the age of 69.

LOLOLOLROFLLLLOLLLLLL Clap

Let's not forget that "sex" and "sexy" sells, and this board is not immune to that fantasy ... wow ... can you believe it?

I would like to think that we should "create" a cover with Storm on it, that shows him sort of like Galileo looking at the planets ... which of course, are album covers, including the two Flash ones ... with a hand on his forehead trying to figure out what next on a blank piece of paper in front of him!

While some of his work has always been very good, it was the way it was shown, which made it artistic ... and created thoughts in our minds about what the work would/could/should be all about.

I admitted before that I bought the first album because of the cover, and was surprised that what was in there was rather nice, though no one in his/her right mind would confuse this with YES or any other band ... so, in that sense, I was really glad to see that cover ... otherwise it would be just another "copykat" band ... which I felt it was not at all ... but I'm not sure that everyone looks at the same picture or image the same way. I supposed that one could do so in a sexist way, but if that was the case, the point of the whole thing is wasted! ... because the "sexist" has no appreciation for it ... just another number and abuse!

Sorry to sound so psychoanalytical, but I do not find anything to be embarassed about or not wishing to describe, or something that the band ended up finding embarassing, which is possible! But if that was what it takes to get a little attention ... Storm knew that your folks deserved it ... and it might not have been perfect, but sometimes a little is more than nothing at all!

Glad to see you posting ... was concerned that after all this, the emotional toil would be a bit much for you and the band! Glad to see it pushing!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 01:05
Ray taking a break after completing the album...

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 15:09
Apparently, you can get your new FLASH CD right away, by ordering now.

Posted By: glassonyonpr
Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 13:34
For Immediate Release

Prog Legends Flash Featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter To Release New CD!

Los Angeles, CA - British progressive rock legends Flash, featuring founding members Ray Bennett & Colin Carter, will be releasing their highly anticipated new CD on Purple Pyramid Records on May 21, 2013. Titled 'Flash featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter', it's the first album by the group in 40 years, taking the band to a new level of creativity and virtuosity with this current set of progressive melodic rock tunes. 

Founded by lead vocalist Colin Carter, original YES member, guitar legend Peter Banks, bassist Ray Bennett and drummer Mike Hough, Flash released three critically acclaimed albums in the 1970's and undertook several successful tours of the US and Europe. In the USA, the single “Small Beginnings” reached #29 in the Billboard charts, and the first album 'Flash' made the top 50, propelling the band into major venues on their first tour. In the US, Flash went from intimate venues like the Whisky A Go Go, to large concert halls like New York's Avery Fisher Hall, to the wild crowd of 300,000 music fans at the Soda Pop Festival in Indiana. Flash also made high profile performances on TV shows in Europe and the US, including 'The Midnight Special' and the Wolfman Jack hosted 'Superstars Of Rock'. 

The band's new CD was recorded over a period of three years and it delivers a mixture of classic and modern progressive rock sure to please die-hard Flash fans and new listeners alike! Says Ray Bennett, “First and foremost, I think the new album turned out really well. No, that's being somewhat modest... I think it's brilliant. I wouldn't be happy with anything less. The goal for me, and I think Colin would agree, is to put an album together that's always a turn on. Not just in the beginning when you are all excited about the newness of it, but always. I realized somewhere back in time that it is possible to have that. It's really just as the old saying goes... 'a thing of beauty is a joy forever'. I think this CD is always going to shine.” Colin Carter adds, “It's left brain / right brain rock. Enough skill, detail and finesse to tease the intellect, mixed with enough raw power to send you skidding out of control across the stage on your knees and crashing into amps. Watch out for the splinters!”

Along with Ray, now on lead guitar, and Colin, on lead vocals and rhythm guitar, keyboardist Rick Daugherty has been added to the line-up giving the band's sound more warmth and depth. Mark Pardy on drums and Wayne Carver on bass make up the new rhythm section. The album includes five new songs penned by Ray and Colin, two new instrumental pieces, and a cover of NIN's 'Hurt', which the band has performed in concert. There is also a new version of the classic Flash song “Manhattan Morning” from the band's third studio album 'Out Of Our Hands'.

Ray explains, “Colin and I did write a large chunk of the old Flash material, and our sensibilities as writers haven't changed a huge amount. We still write all the time. But obviously we've developed, we're more sophisticated, and we have a few more tricks up our sleeves. I think that all shows up on the new CD. I saw a lot of magic happen on this new album. As it grew into a finished thing, all kinds of excellent stuff popped up as we let it develop. A lot to be said for giving it time.”

“Iconic prog rockers Ray Bennett and Colin Carter have achieved the impossible: they've created complex contemporary rock boasting all the sonic hallmarks of Flash's classic material. It's all here: dynamic compositions, perfect vocal intonation and kick-ass guitar work.” - Will Romano, author of 'Mountains Come Out of the Sky', a history of prog rock

In closing Ray has this to impart, “I think that with the years passing you can get new growth and new inspiration if you are willing to try new things. Colin and I are up for that. However, in our case, oddly enough, trying new things led back to Flash.”

To pre-order Flash 'Featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter' CD:  http://www.amazon.com/Featuring-Ray-Bennett-Colin-Carter/dp/B00BY8DLF8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1367112562&sr=1-1&keywords=flash+featuring+ray+bennett" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Featuring-Ray-Bennett-Colin-Carter/dp/B00BY8DLF8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1367112562&sr=1-1&keywords=flash+featuring+ray+bennett

Flash Psychosync website:  http://www.psychosync.info/" rel="nofollow - http://www.psychosync.info/
Flash information:  http://www.myspace.com/flashbennettcarter" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/flashbennettcarter
Flash ReverbNation:   http://www.reverbnation.com/flashbennettcarter" rel="nofollow - http://www.reverbnation.com/flashbennettcarter

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH:  tel:828-350-8158" rel="nofollow - 828-350-8158 ,  mailto:glassonyo[email protected]" rel="nofollow - [email protected]

CLEOPATRA LABEL GROUP
11041 Santa Monica Blvd #703
Los Angeles CA 90025
http://www.cleopatrarecords.com/" rel="nofollow - www.CleopatraRecords.com

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 00:14
Once again due to the mysterious ways of progarchives.com, the official record co. press release for the new Flash album was posted on progarchives today, but the thread has been closed to comments!!!???!!!  I spoke to the record co. and they're looking into it.

When I first started posting here a few years ago and didn't know the rules or protocol very well, I had a few email exchanges with administrators that didn't go down well, I guess.  Is this retaliation against Flash, or what?  Flash had nothing to do with my postings.

Anyway, here's the link to the press release, and if you want to comment, I guess you'll have to do it here.  This is apparently our allotted space for all things Flash!  
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93430" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93430

Update 5/13/13  (As you can see in the post above, the official press release has been removed from glassonyonpr's post and inserted into this thread!)

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 02:51

Confused

1. You announced the new CD release here on the 27th April

2. Member "glassonyonpr" has no official capacity here

3. and nothing in his profile says he has an official capacity with Cleopatra or Purple Pyramid Records.

4. We prefer one thread per topic - always have and always will and will not make a special case just for Flash. In all cases the new thread gets closed.

5. You may have noticed that the title of this thread is "Flash Reforms - New CD available 4/29/2013" whereas the other thread is "Flash Featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter New CD" ... two threads, same topic (and in the same forum lounge). In this case the new thread gets closed, just like all the others.

6. I 'signed' that thread closure by making the last post a link to this one. I don't do things anonymously.

7. How dare you accuse me of retaliation against you when I had nothing to do with your last exchanges with Admins here.

8. You got a problem with me then take it up with me, don't make a huge public announcement about it that forces me to make an equally public reply. 

9. So climb off your high horse and drink your milk. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 03:08
Well, now I've done it!  Sorry, Dean.  I guess I'm a bit paranoid from past dealings.

Glassonyonpr is a publicity agent working for the record company on behalf of Flash.  His official press release went out today internationally and when I told him his post was closed, he was surprised and said he'd look into it and see if there was anything he could do.

I should have left it to all of you to sort out.

As for the same headline for our threads, it didn't have the same headline when Bob moved it into my old thread. I, then, changed the original headline for my old thread (which was about the reunion two years ago) to mention the new CD release because when I posted the press release about the new CD on the News forum as a new topic it was moved by Easylivin to the end of the old thread about the reunion, making it harder for people to notice it or even find it. 

Again, I'm sorry.  Didn't mean to offend.  I've just had a hard time trying to keep Flash fans up to date with new information as it becomes available because it seems I'm only allowed one Flash thread, no matter what the topic is.  I'd welcome any tips you might offer.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 03:31
Okay - misunderstanding accepted. If Bob had already corrected one thread duplication issue then it is no surprise that I will do the same, we don't work in collusion, we just follow the same guidelines.

Alas not every band with a new release can be first thread in the Prog News, Press Releases lounge all the time. The best anyone can hope for is to be on "Page 1" of that lounge. This thread was still on "Page 1" when the new thread was created so finding it wasn't difficult. Similarly finding the relevant post within a thread isn't difficult when there it is only three pages long and the post in question contains a huge image of the cover art.

Prog is a grass-roots genre of music with an intelligent, astute and erudite fan-base that is (in general) immune to PR hype, you cannot manufacture "a buzz" about a new release like in the old days, that has to come from the fans themselves on the merits of the music.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 03:42
Let's leave it at that then.  I'd just like those who might be interested to know what's going on.  I'm glad there's a record company to do the work for me now! I'll pipe down about it.  

If I put my original headline back on the old thread, can we open the discussion about the new release for glassonyonpr?  It would be good for the record company to see the progarchives.com response to the release.

Ray and Colin are very excited about the new CD.  I hope everyone else will be too.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 15:31
The first review....

“Iconic prog rockers Ray Bennett and Colin Carter have achieved the impossible: they've created complex contemporary rock boasting all the sonic hallmarks of Flash's classic material. It's all here: dynamic compositions, perfect vocal intonation and kick-ass guitar work.” - Will Romano, author of 'Mountains Come Out of the Sky', a history of prog rock

Posted By: glassonyonpr
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:21
For Immediate Release

Prog Legends Flash Featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter To Release New CD!

Los Angeles, CA - British progressive rock legends Flash, featuring founding members Ray Bennett & Colin Carter, will be releasing their highly anticipated new CD on Purple Pyramid Records on May 21, 2013. Titled 'Flash featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter', it's the first album by the group in 40 years, taking the band to a new level of creativity and virtuosity with this current set of progressive melodic rock tunes. 

Founded by lead vocalist Colin Carter, original YES member, guitar legend Peter Banks, bassist Ray Bennett and drummer Mike Hough, Flash released three critically acclaimed albums in the 1970's and undertook several successful tours of the US and Europe. In the USA, the single “Small Beginnings” reached #29 in the Billboard charts, and the first album 'Flash' made the top 50, propelling the band into major venues on their first tour. In the US, Flash went from intimate venues like the Whisky A Go Go, to large concert halls like New York's Avery Fisher Hall, to the wild crowd of 300,000 music fans at the Soda Pop Festival in Indiana. Flash also made high profile performances on TV shows in Europe and the US, including 'The Midnight Special' and the Wolfman Jack hosted 'Superstars Of Rock'. 

The band's new CD was recorded over a period of three years and it delivers a mixture of classic and modern progressive rock sure to please die-hard Flash fans and new listeners alike! Says Ray Bennett, “First and foremost, I think the new album turned out really well. No, that's being somewhat modest... I think it's brilliant. I wouldn't be happy with anything less. The goal for me, and I think Colin would agree, is to put an album together that's always a turn on. Not just in the beginning when you are all excited about the newness of it, but always. I realized somewhere back in time that it is possible to have that. It's really just as the old saying goes... 'a thing of beauty is a joy forever'. I think this CD is always going to shine.” Colin Carter adds, “It's left brain / right brain rock. Enough skill, detail and finesse to tease the intellect, mixed with enough raw power to send you skidding out of control across the stage on your knees and crashing into amps. Watch out for the splinters!”

Along with Ray, now on lead guitar, and Colin, on lead vocals and rhythm guitar, keyboardist Rick Daugherty has been added to the line-up giving the band's sound more warmth and depth. Mark Pardy on drums and Wayne Carver on bass make up the new rhythm section. The album includes five new songs penned by Ray and Colin, two new instrumental pieces, and a cover of NIN's 'Hurt', which the band has performed in concert. There is also a new version of the classic Flash song “Manhattan Morning” from the band's third studio album 'Out Of Our Hands'.

Ray explains, “Colin and I did write a large chunk of the old Flash material, and our sensibilities as writers haven't changed a huge amount. We still write all the time. But obviously we've developed, we're more sophisticated, and we have a few more tricks up our sleeves. I think that all shows up on the new CD. I saw a lot of magic happen on this new album. As it grew into a finished thing, all kinds of excellent stuff popped up as we let it develop. A lot to be said for giving it time.”

In closing Ray has this to impart, “I think that with the years passing you can get new growth and new inspiration if you are willing to try new things. Colin and I are up for that. However, in our case, oddly enough, trying new things led back to Flash.”

To pre-order Flash 'Featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter' CD:  http://www.amazon.com/Featuring-Ray-Bennett-Colin-Carter/dp/B00BY8DLF8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1367112562&sr=1-1&keywords=flash+featuring+ray+bennett" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Featuring-Ray-Bennett-Colin-Carter/dp/B00BY8DLF8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1367112562&sr=1-1&keywords=flash+featuring+ray+bennett

Flash Psychosync website:  http://www.psychosync.info/" rel="nofollow - http://www.psychosync.info/
Flash information:  http://www.myspace.com/flashbennettcarter" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/flashbennettcarter
Flash ReverbNation:   http://www.reverbnation.com/flashbennettcarter" rel="nofollow - http://www.reverbnation.com/flashbennettcarter

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH:  tel:828-350-8158" rel="nofollow - 828-350-8158 ,  mailto:glassonyo[email protected]" rel="nofollow - [email protected]

CLEOPATRA LABEL GROUP
11041 Santa Monica Blvd #703
Los Angeles CA 90025
http://www.cleopatrarecords.com/" rel="nofollow - www.CleopatraRecords.com

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 14:01

Posted By: yam yam
Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 04:51
This picked up via Martin Kielty at 'Prog' magazine yesterday: http://www.progrockmag.com/news/flash-to-release-first-album-in-40-years/" rel="nofollow - http://www.progrockmag.com/news/flash-to-release-first-album-in-40-years/

"Flash will release their first album in 40 years next week, they’ve announced.

It’s called Flash Featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter and it’s their fourth LP, coming after Out Of Our Hands, which was launched in 1973.

Vocalist Carter formed the band in 1971 with bassist Bennett, original Yes guitar icon http://www.progrockmag.com/news/peter-banks-founding-yes-guitarist-dead-at-65/" rel="nofollow - - available for preorder now ."

Flash bandpage: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=747" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=747

Thumbs Up

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 13:31
Excuse the repetitions.  The administrators have been moving things around again.

Anyway.....the music.  That's what it's all about!  

Cheers, everyone.  Rock 'n' roll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: May 17 2013 at 14:20
Here it is—the first full track and a review....

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/05/17/exclusive-stream-flash-hurt-from-featuring-ray-bennett-and-colin-carter-2013/" rel="nofollow - http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/05/17/exclusive-stream-flash-hurt-from-featuring-ray-bennett-and-colin-carter-2013/

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: May 17 2013 at 14:42
After 40 years!!

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Date Posted: May 17 2013 at 14:50
The back story is amazing, Nick.  It's never too late...Wink

Date Posted: May 19 2013 at 01:05
The new FLASH CD!!!!  Not sure what this means, but checked the rank on amazon earlier today....
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,431 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
#31 in Music > Classic Rock > Psychedelic Rock
#70 in Music > World Music

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4639934170119&set=a.1105155042850.16639.1645983713&type=1&relevant_count=1" rel="nofollow -
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4639934170119&set=a.1105155042850.16639.1645983713&type=1&relevant_count=1" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 20:09
  • Still don't know what this rank actually means, but I'll take it!  The new FLASH Cd....official release date tomorrow (5/21).

• Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,039 in Music ( http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-music-albums/zgbs/music/ref=pd_dp_ts_m_1" rel="nofollow - See Top 100 in Music )
    • #16 in  http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-music-albums/zgbs/music/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_1" rel="nofollow - Music  >  http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/67204/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_2" rel="nofollow - Classic Rock  >  http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/67220/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_3_last" rel="nofollow - Psychedelic Rock
    • #43 in  http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-music-albums/zgbs/music/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_2_1" rel="nofollow - Music  >  http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/33/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_2_2_last" rel="nofollow - World Music

Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 15:03
Another terrific review... http://www.technologytell.com/entertainment/18847/music-review-flash-featuring-ray-bennett-colin-carter-purple-pyramid-records-cd/" rel="nofollow - http://www.technologytell.com/entertainment/18847/music-review-flash-featuring-ray-bennett-colin-carter-purple-pyramid-records-cd/

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 16:26
You can get all tracks on iTunes now.... https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/featuring-ray-bennett-colin/id642035555" rel="nofollow - https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/featuring-ray-bennett-colin/id642035555

Date Posted: May 26 2013 at 17:40
You can hear another full track, "Grand Canyon", on The Canvas Prog Hour radio show.  Click part 2 to listen to the segment Flash is in, but the whole show is pretty hot.

http://www.canvasproductions.net/theproghour.cfm" rel="nofollow - http://www.canvasproductions.net/theproghour.cfm

Date Posted: May 30 2013 at 15:05
youtube for the new CD—the first cover ever recorded by Flash, NIN's "Hurt"...

Date Posted: June 03 2013 at 01:23
Has anyone heard the whole album yet?  How'd you like it?

Date Posted: June 03 2013 at 16:09
This review, very detailed and interesting from a prog aficionado.

http://classicrockradioeu.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/flash-featuring-ray-bennett-and-colin.html" rel="nofollow - http://classicrockradioeu.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/flash-featuring-ray-bennett-and-colin.html

Date Posted: June 04 2013 at 09:38
Come on guys - there must be some Flash fans out there who have heard this by now - even if only to give it a rating:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=41225" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=41225  

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 04 2013 at 14:42
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Come on guys - there must be some Flash fans out there who have heard this by now - even if only to give it a rating:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=41225" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=41225  

Im off Thursday and will give it a full spin!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 01:30
Another Flash review...
http://www.muzikreviews.com/reviews.php?ID=2582" rel="nofollow - http://www.muzikreviews.com/reviews.php?ID=2582

Date Posted: June 08 2013 at 00:59
 I'm so happy for the guys...

Another great review from Belgium.  Follow the link to read it in French, or if you're interested you can read the online translator robot which makes comical mincemeat of it...but you can get the gist.  And 4 of 4 stars is quite clear! (You have to go to the site to see them.)

http://www.musicinbelgium.net/pl/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=6326" rel="nofollow - http://www.musicinbelgium.net/pl/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=6326

And one from France, also in french.

http://www.neoprog.eu/critique/flash/flash_featuring_ray_bennett_and_colin_carter" rel="nofollow - http://www.neoprog.eu/critique/flash/flash_featuring_ray_bennett_and_colin_carter

Date Posted: June 08 2013 at 03:52
There are copyright issues with posting reviews from other sites here in their entirety. SInce there is still no interest in this album on the PA in terms reviewing I have been turning a blind eye to this, but that's not going to get me or M@X out of gaol when the Feds come calling.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 08 2013 at 04:53
All removed, Dean.  Don't want to get anyone in trouble.

Date Posted: June 08 2013 at 04:56
Links are cool, thanks. Thumbs Up

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 09 2013 at 11:58
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

There are copyright issues with posting reviews from other sites here in their entirety. SInce there is still no interest in this album on the PA in terms reviewing I have been turning a blind eye to this, but that's not going to get me or M@X out of gaol when the Feds come calling.

Unless there is a disclaimer ... but even that probably should be in writing?

I can understand your concern, and that is the reason why many times I post in the bottom of my reviews and writings my copyright notice and that I have given permission for it to be shown at PA.

At this time, the whole Copyright thing is a mess ... and it is there to hurt the artists right now, and the music companies to gain a victory. There are more starving bands that could use the extra nickel than there are fools that use lawyers to steal money from folks that don't have it! I would expect that Sherry is familiar with those things having been around these folks for a long time!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 09 2013 at 23:53
More airplay this week — on rotation at WWSP 90fm at University of Wisconsin Stevens Point.  Some of the best radio these days, college stations.

Date Posted: June 10 2013 at 06:32

More airplay this week — on rotation at WWSP 90fm at University of Wisconsin Stevens Point.  Some of the best radio these days, college stations.

I think you mean "the only good radio these days".

I'll be ordering my copy this week.

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2013 at 15:08
You're absolutely right. That's exactly what I meant.  Just didn't want to offend.  But all I listen to is NPR/college stations or an oldies station—which gets boring!

Let us know how you like the new CD.

Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 15:27
More airplay, this time in Europe—Portugal...

http://www.vianocturna2000.blogspot.pt/2013/06/playlist-13-de-junho-de-2013.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.vianocturna2000.blogspot.pt/2013/06/playlist-13-de-junho-de-2013.html

Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 03:40
Don't know how I forgot to post this one from "Classic Rock Radio" in England.  They also did a Flash interview which they'll be broadcasting soon. 

http://classicrockradioeu.blogspot.com/2013/06/flash-featuring-ray-bennett-and-colin.html" rel="nofollow - http://classicrockradioeu.blogspot.com/2013/06/flash-featuring-ray-bennett-and-colin.html

Okay, I just found it.  Sorry, I did post it, but forgot to mention the interview.  I'll post when it's going to be broadcast.

Still no progarchive.com reviewers?

Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 14:59
My favorite local store (where I prefer to buy music when I can) has a few copies, but not near me.
They have some more on order, so it may be a few days before I get mine.
Cry

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 16:36
American Songwriter Mag interviewed Colin about "Hurt" and sets the record straight...(permission granted to reproduce here)

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2013/06/nine-inch-nails-hurt/" rel="nofollow - http://www.americansongwriter.com/2013/06/nine-inch-nails-hurt/

Nine Inch Nails, “Hurt”

Written by  http://www.americansongwriter.com/author/rick-moore/" rel="nofollow - Rick Moore  June 17th, 2013 at 6:00 am http%3A%2F%2Fwww.americansongwriter.com%2F2013%2F06%2Fnine-inch-nails-hurt%2F&node_type=link&width=150&font=arial&layout=button_count&colorscheme=light&show_faces=false&send=false&extended_social_context=false" rel="nofollow -
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.americansongwriter.com%2F2013%2F06%2Fnine-inch-nails-hurt%2F&node_type=link&width=150&font=arial&layout=button_count&colorscheme=light&show_faces=false&send=false&extended_social_context=false" rel="nofollow - http%3A%2F%2Fwww.americansongwriter.com%2F2013%2F06%2Fnine-inch-nails-hurt%2F&node_type=link&width=150&font=arial&layout=button_count&colorscheme=light&show_faces=false&send=false&extended_social_context=false" rel="nofollow - http://cdn.americansongwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Trent_Reznor1.jpg" rel="nofollow">Trent_Reznor1

On 1994’s Nine Inch Nails album The Downward Spiral, Trent Reznor’s song “Hurt” came from a dark place that many of us, whether through the pain of addiction or just through life’s circumstances, will visit at some point in our lives. With lines like “I hurt myself today/to see if I still feel/I focus on the pain/the only thing that’s real,” Reznor’s song fit in perfectly with the title of the album, whether he initially meant for it to or not. “Hurt” was nominated for a Grammy for “Best Rock Song” in 1996.

But in 2002 the song took a different path when Johnny Cash covered it on American IV: The Man Comes Around, the final Cash album before his death. Cash recorded “Hurt,” and shot the award-winning video that accompanied it, only months before wife June Carter Cash’s death and then his own. The video montage chronicled the career of a man who suffered grievous loss and pain in his life, but managed to hang on to the very end with the power of his music and the love of his wife.

The song has also been covered by Leona Lewis, Sevendust and other acts, and has now surfaced on Flash – Featuring Ray Bennett and Colin Carter, the new album by the 1970s British progressive rock band that once included the former, and recently deceased, Yes guitarist Peter Banks. Flash frontman Colin Carter says that when the band was looking for a song to cover, “Hurt” found new life in Flash’s nine-and-a-half-minute prog arrangement without any difficulty.

“I knew when I first heard the Johnny Cash version of ‘Hurt’ that its mood and structure and lyric would work for me,” Carter says. “I began singing it in my own fashion even before hearing Mr. Reznor’s take on it, his starker delivery. I borrowed his structure and his lyrics, gave a nod to Mr. Cash’s formalization of the piece, then painted it with my own spray can.”

Reznor’s original lyric contains the line I wear this crown of sh*t/upon my liar’s chair, but Cash changed the line to crown of thorns, perhaps in an effort to both remove the profanity and reference his own life as a damaged, but devout, Christian. Lewis followed suit with her version, as does Flash. “I think ‘thorns’ produces a stronger mental image than Trent’s ‘sh*t,’” Carter says. “But Trent is the master of the work and his is the anchor point we all work from.”

Reznor may never have thought about anyone else covering this song, especially given the frame of mind he must have been in when he wrote it. But it is becoming a classic of sorts, and will probably be covered again, though maybe not by someone as unlikely as a country music icon or a legendary British prog-rock band.

If you should happen to go surfing for the lyrics yourself, be careful, as the Internet is sometimes not always the best source of information. For instance, the LyricsFreak website mistakenly credits Reznor’s lyrics to Linda Perry, Christina Aguilera and Mark Ronson, because Aguilera also cut a song called “Hurt.”

“Hurt”

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that’s real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

What have I become?
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know
Goes away in the end
You could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear my crown of thorns
On my liar’s chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
Beneath the stain of time
The feeling disappears
You are someone else
I am still right here

What have I become?
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know
Goes away in the end
You could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

If I could start again
A million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way

Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 17:06
You may have obtained permission for republishing the article, but not for Reznor's lyric, please remove most of the verses.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 17:21
I checked this with Ray. I won't give you his direct quote, but this was his answer in substance:  Flash paid for licensing rights to use the song and it's lyrics in any way they want.  

I'm sure Trent will be pleased to see them correctly quoted by Rick Moore and American Songwriters Magazine, and the song properly attributed to him for a change.

Date Posted: June 18 2013 at 05:12

You can download "Night Vision," another track from the new Flash CD for free, courtesy of Purple Pyramid/Cleopatra Records. 

They've just released a prog sampler of five tracks from their artists, Nektar, Flash, The Prog Collective, Circa and Nik Turner.

Go to the Flash facebook page— http://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter  

and look for this poster to order your copy...

Date Posted: June 18 2013 at 05:20

I checked this with Ray. I won't give you his direct quote, but this was his answer in substance:  Flash paid for licensing rights to use the song and it's lyrics in any way they want.  

I'm sure Trent will be pleased to see them correctly quoted by Rick Moore and American Songwriters Magazine, and the song properly attributed to him for a change.
Our site, our rules. Stern Smile

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 18 2013 at 07:12

Visit the new flash facebook page to follow all the latest news, gigs, music samples, chat, photos, history, (posts from the great and comical Willie Fyffe, former Flash roadie extraordinaire!), etc.  

Ask questions, share Flash stories, info, requests, complaints (did I say complaints?).  

The band will be watching and participating.

http://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 17:56
Listen to two Flash tracks courtesy of MLWZ radio in Poland from yesterday's broadcast (6/19).  Click "audio" in the left-hand column.

http://:%20www.mlwz.ceti.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11013&Itemid=29" rel="nofollow - http://: www.mlwz.ceti.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11013&Itemid=29

And a review...in Polish.  It's making me nervous that I'm actually beginning to understand google translate!

http://www.mlwz.ceti.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11008&Itemid=26" rel="nofollow - http://www.mlwz.ceti.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11008&Itemid=26

And make sure you join the new Flash facebook fun.  Visit, "Like"  'em, and talk to the band.

http://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter

Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 01:11

Check out the alternate cover art considered for the new CD.  T
he band posted it on their facebook page.  It's not this Flash logo at the top of the page...  

Scroll down the page to find the alternate cover and tell us which one you like better.

http://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter#" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter#

Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 07:13

Found it. Sorry.

Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 14:23
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Found it. Sorry.

No problem, Southside.  I'll post it again for anyone else wondering where to download.  All tracks are available on iTunes.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/featuring-ray-bennett-colin/id642035555" rel="nofollow - http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/featuring-ray-bennett-colin/id642035555

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk