Print Page | Close Window

King Crimson!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84693
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 23:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: King Crimson!
Posted By: The_Jester
Subject: King Crimson!
Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 19:11

These times, I'm in the mood for King Crimson. I think I never heard anything bad by them. All the albums I heard of them are incredibly good. It's a fantastic band I think and I wanted to hear how you feel about them.

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 19:13
In the Court of the Crimson King is overrated. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 19:13
Why do you think it is?

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 19:19
I think that the majority of their other albums are more interesting and overall more enjoyable. 

The title track and 21st Schizoid are great, Moonchild has grown on me, then Epitaph and Talk to the Wind are okay. It's a strong 4* album. By no means their best album or the best album of the eclectic genre.

Though i understand it's importance to music, i don't really think that influence should be considered for the quality of the music, or in this case - the rating of an album.

-------------

Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 19:24
Interesting point of view. I think it's a masterpiece because I really enjoy every track on it. I must say that I need concentration to appreciate Moonchild's ending though. I still find it enjoyable most of the time.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 19:26
I enjoy all the tracks too, none of them are really "bad". But to be reigned as the best from the band or genre, i can't agree or understand. 

-------------

Posted By: zumacraig
Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 19:28
i prefer the wetton era.  after that, the 80s trilogy.  power to believe is an interesting album too.

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 19:34
Discipline is the best album they've ever recorded.  I'd like to say that's a fact, but it's simply my opinion.  Many good albums, though. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 19:37
I also like King Crimson pretty much. However, for me, their only 5 star album is the debut, none other is so good on the whole, though there are excellent songs all around their discography.

Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 19:40
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I also like King Crimson pretty much. However, for me, their only 5 star album is the debut, none other is so good on the whole, though there are excellent songs all around their discography.

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I enjoy all the tracks too, none of them are really "bad". But to be reigned as the best from the band or genre, i can't agree or understand. 

It had to be said! LOL

-------------

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 19:41
As far as the first two albums go...I've always preferred In the Wake of Poseidon to In the Court of the Crimson King. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 19:44
ALL OF ITTTTTTTTT

but seriously, my faves are ItCotCK, LTiA, Red, Discipline, ToaPP, THRAK, TCoL, and TPtB.

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 20:08
May be (maybe) my favorite band, depending on the day. Really, who has given us more challenging music over the decades, for we are talking about decades here? Those first albums sucked me in, as an easily influenced teenager. I still say, go listen to Cirkus. Once your mind truly understands that, you may be ready for Sailor's Tale. Then Lark's Tongue, SABB, Red. There just has never been better music recorded. 

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 21:46
I don't think In The Court is overrated. I do think that Epitaph is overrated though. I've never been overly fussy about it. Moonchild has grown on me a lot and I'd probably pick that over Epitaph. The Court Of The Crimson King is my favourite song on the album though. BowdownMellotron heaven.

-------------

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 22:09
Over the years, the 2nd album has become my favorite.  Can't
get over the beauty of songs like Cadence and Cascade, and
Peace a Theme.   Seems like a really one-of-a-kind album.
I'll also take anything with Sinfield and Wetton over anything post 1980.

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: February 02 2012 at 23:24

Though i understand it's importance to music, i don't really think that influence should be considered for the quality of the music, or in this case - the rating of an album.

Thank you. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 05:08
One of my favourite bands. In The Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard, Larks', Red, Starless, Discipline + several live albums (I just love Absent Lovers) ... there's so much 5 star music. 

Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 05:33
My top Crimson albums are ITCOTCK, Larks' Tongues, Red and Discipline.

I've never really got on with their stuff from the 1990s onwards, but I guess you can't expect every reinvention of the band's sound to come up with five-star material and KC have had a better batting average than many,

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 05:40
Nobody in their right mind can underestimate their importance to the genre, or, indeed, that debut album which was a revelation of its time.

My personal favourite remains Red, with Starless easily in my top ten tracks of all time. Goodness knows what that lineup would have achieved if Fripp hadn't got the hump.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 06:03
Such an original thread Approve

I think Beat and LTiA are their best albums. The Power to Believe had a couple of good ideas here and there but was put together in a horrible way.

-------------

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 06:38
Honestly i could give every album they made 5 stars, i havent, but only because i think its important that you make a compareable rating system within the artist own terms.
If i did not think like that, most KC albums would reduce other artists albums with 1-2 stars  Bowdown

To put it simple, that are in a league of its own. Unbelivable great albums !

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 07:41
Every album up to and including Red, is a prog classic. Their 80's albums are also very good. It took me years to appreciate this band.

I'm glad I got there in the end.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: spknoevl
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 07:51
My absolute favorite band.  They've consistently pushed music forwards while maintaining a high level of composition and musicianship.

-------------
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 08:54
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

I've never really got on with their stuff from the 1990s onwards, but I guess you can't expect every reinvention of the band's sound to come up with five-star material and KC have had a better batting average than many,

This.  Though I would add Starless and Bible Black to the list (really anything live or studio from that version of the band I absolutely love) and Lizard and Islands.  Though all the ones listed above are my favorites.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 09:07
meh

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 09:40
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

This.  Though I would add Starless and Bible Black to the list (really anything live or studio from that version of the band I absolutely love) and Lizard and Islands.  Though all the ones listed above are my favorites.

I prefer Islands and Lizard to their first two albums. 

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:28

Me too.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:32
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Me too.

Me three

-------------

Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:44
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Me too.

Me three
4 me Two Wacko

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:50
Been a fan of KC for years - I do find some of their later albums a little challenging at times, but they tend to reward persistence; the Discipline/Beat/Three Of A Perfect Pair albums are by far some of my favorite progressive albums from the 1980s, but the 1970's output I find difficult to fault at all.

Great, if unpredictable, live band to see, too.

In my humble opinion, I think Robert Fripp is the epitomy of progressive rock; been going over 40 years & has always pushed the boundaries, never stagnated, always moved on. Everything featuring Fripp under the KC name doesn't even scratch the surface though - what of the numerous side projects, solo albums, guest appearances, collaborations...

And still he got time to marry Toyah...

But to finish, though...

meh

And the award for Pointless Post Of The Year goes to...

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 11:23
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

meh

I was being ironic.

-------------

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 11:33
My favorites are the first six releases. Red grew to be this fringe introduction to the late 70's teenage fans for a cause to investigate their back catalog and Crimson continued to carry this torch and etc, Originally Fripp wanted to (as he puts it), "Investigate Heavy Metal" when composing the music for Red. His frustrations with Bill Bruford due to the lack of understanding between the 2 of them. Fripp was interested in producing a "Metal" sound and was not pleased with his band's efforts and the direct indication in his mind that they were not understanding the style he was wishing to produce. So, over the years "Red" became popular in the prog world. What a huge mass of people are hearing and enjoying in "Red" over the decades is not what Fripp intended for them to hear. So the question for me is ..What did Fripp originally have in mind for this record? and since his project was a disaster for him and so on and so on...that is a mystery to unfold. I would be interested in hearing what he originally had in mind.

Fripp wrote pieces that were reminiscent of each other. He has been asked to explain the detail of this style for creating music during interviews. Many scholars don't seem to "get him" and they will take off on a path with an analogy , which in point Fripp just spends most of the interview correcting them. In the early days he was a little damaged when McDonald and Giles decided to leave the band. Ian McDonald who had written the most important material on In The Court of the Crimson King was part of the chemistry within the band. His writings briefly surfaced on "I.T.W.O.P. which left Fripp with the job of writing his own album. Lizard was a great effort and attempting to compose the album alone, bringing in the musicians, etc..but Ian McDonald is the magic missing from the later releases. If you were to observe that alone you can see that he was a different type of writer than Fripp and that may have been what was missing from the early sound of the band. What you heard on Lizard and Islands that sounded reminiscent of I.T.C.O.T.C.K. and I.T.W.O.P, was clearly Fripp attempting to keep Crimson's identity.

Fripp studied with a Jazz guitarist/instructor and my theory is that Fripp was interested in Sci-Fi/Horror themes in the 50's and 60's during his development of guitar playing. You could hear these reflections on the first 4 Crimson releases where he plays an open string while picking other strings he is fingering. Very "Twilight Zone" and with Larks and Starless he truly becomes schizoid with it. He is a very schooled guitar player and his hands seem to just fall into place naturally. He is very devoted.  

Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 20:55

It had to be said! LOL

Well, we all have our own opinions. What a boring world this would be if everyone agreed on everything.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: February 04 2012 at 00:34
In the court-2 or 3 fairly good songs, but the sound and style is dated and schizoid is the only song with colour and variety. Good album for it's time but nothing special 7/10
In the wake-same lineup producing more colour and variety with better composition Very good 8.5/10
Lizard-Similar to Posiedon but Haskells voice doesn't sound good in Crimson. Pretty good 8/10
Islands-haven't got this album yet
Larks-A mixture of nice slow tracks, good riffs and album filler. Experimental but not overly strong in composition. I only like Wettons voice in slow tracks. Good album but without Sinfield, the keys and composition are lacking. Fairly good 7.5/10
Red-an improved version of Larks with more structure and grunt. Pretty good 8/10
Starless-Sounds like an album of experimental outtakes. Nothing special apart from Nightwatchman mainly. 7/10

I would have liked Crimson more if Giles, Lake andSInfeld stayed around for a few more years

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 04 2012 at 05:26
I like the fact that the style has evolved over the years with Fripp being the only constant element.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Chozal
Date Posted: February 04 2012 at 06:02
I absolutely love In The Court ..., but it is a very peculiar phenomenon in their discography (at least to me) as its style stands out and has never been really "reused" by the band ... It's "an observation by a band named king crimson" more than a KC album imo

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Infinite-Progability-Drive/141225469388975" rel="nofollow - The Infinite Progability Drive , feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: February 04 2012 at 07:01
Listenning to  King Crimson, I never know if I must laugh or cry TongueCry ...  As I am always in a mood or the other, I appreciate them each time.

Date Posted: February 04 2012 at 07:46
Originally posted by Chozal Chozal wrote:

I absolutely love In The Court ..., but it is a very peculiar phenomenon in their discography (at least to me) as its style stands out and has never been really "reused" by the band ... It's "an observation by a band named king crimson" more than a KC album imo

Except it was entirely "reused" in their subsequent album.

-------------

Date Posted: February 04 2012 at 15:47
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I like the fact that the style has evolved over the years with Fripp being the only constant element.

Me too. It makes the band really interesting. I also like their evolution through time. They adapted their sound to every era. I really like The Power to Believe and I consider it as good as In the Court of the Crimson King and Red.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Date Posted: February 04 2012 at 18:47
Does anybody know if there is any live recordings of One More Red Nightmare out there?

-------------

Date Posted: February 05 2012 at 09:30
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Does anybody know if there is any live recordings of One More Red Nightmare out there?

I honestly don't believe there is. That unfortunately doesn't mean a lot. Fripp could have very well used this hook in "One More Red Nightmare" during a live improvisation mode. On Steve Wilson's re-mix of Islands there isabonus track titled ""A Peacemaking Stint Unrolls" which was  arranged into a instrumental piece to be rehearsed and possibly played live by the Islands band. The hooks in the piece were later used for "Lament" and "Larks Tongues In Aspic Part I" and possibly the same course of events took place during the development of the hook and time signatures for "One More Red Nightmare"except this time the ideas were being played live or rehearsed by the 74' band. Many of the ideas for songs came from lines he experimented with during live improvisation type jams.

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: February 05 2012 at 09:46
King Crimson? Bowdown (Finally I can use this icon).
My favourite lineup is in the Wetton era, but I also very much appreciate their earlier lineups, and what 21st Century Schizoid Band did.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Date Posted: February 05 2012 at 13:50
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I honestly don't believe there is. That unfortunately doesn't mean a lot. Fripp could have very well used this hook in "One More Red Nightmare" during a live improvisation mode. On Steve Wilson's re-mix of Islands there isabonus track titled ""A Peacemaking Stint Unrolls" which was  arranged into a instrumental piece to be rehearsed and possibly played live by the Islands band. The hooks in the piece were later used for "Lament" and "Larks Tongues In Aspic Part I" and possibly the same course of events took place during the development of the hook and time signatures for "One More Red Nightmare"except this time the ideas were being played live or rehearsed by the 74' band. Many of the ideas for songs came from lines he experimented with during live improvisation type jams.

Interesting Big smile. I knew KC got heavily into the whole group improvisational jamming, so I can see where all these ideas were coming from then. It's a shame though that there is no live recording known of OMRN. I love that song, especially the Sax solos and Bruford's drumming.

-------------

Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 14:01
Back in 74' when I bought Starless and Bible Black there was no information printed on the album cover to explain that tracks like "Starless and Bible Black" and "Fracture" were actual recordings from the Amsterdam concert in 73'. I had the Amsterdam show on cassette which I had recorded direct off the radio on the "King Biscuit Flower Hour". There was an announcer introducing the songs and further explaining the concept of "Starless and Bible Black". When I picked up the cd "Nightwatch" in the late 90's....and heard the original live versions... I had an interesting time listening to pieces I had thought were recorded in the studio 20 years earlier.

The album Septober Energy by Centipede had this certain musical aspect to it. Sections of it build up like the pieces on Lizard and using the same instruments as well. A very strange period for Crimson. I believe Fripp was producing Septober Energy while Sinfield worked on the cover for Lizard. I disliked Pete Sinfield's Still and I thought McDonald and Giles was a bit too hokey in sections. My favorite period of Michael Giles was when he played drums on "Nightmare" by Anthony Phillips. I thought the piece "Breathless" from Exposure was more interesting than Red. I liked the Jamie Muir period and the live concert from the "Beat Club" is very unique.  

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 14:00
Hi,

I think of all their albums, only the first one really is important and meaningful ... because unlike the other albums, the first one was a seriously loud voce for a whole generation ... and that is the part that is being taken away from the album ... and is instead being called "progressive" ... any new voice is always different and this one was important. We are not allowed to see that, specially here.

And I agree with SD that the next album was almost a copy ... and that was more of a record company thing at the time, than it was anything else ... it was even forced on Pink Floyd after the massive success of TDSOTM, and what they were to release next was not, and WYWH came out. None of us are complaining however, because it was PF and the focus and direction was still strong and good ... but the bootlegs were showing a different direction that I bet they were not to follow yet ... and WYWH never sold one quarter of the other album did! KC has had the same issue ... I don't think any of their albums ever sold more than the 1st!

Because the 1st one was important ... the others were not as much.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: robharvey1
Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 07:52
Possibly the first King Crimson Tribute to ever try Construction of light!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BObP4kmKrXw&context=C3a7037dADOEgsToPDskJgDPUfxBL-isryoKmFGFeA" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BObP4kmKrXw&context=C3a7037dADOEgsToPDskJgDPUfxBL-isryoKmFGFeA

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 08:25
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I think of all their albums, only the first one really is important and meaningful ... because unlike the other albums, the first one was a seriously loud voce for a whole generation ... and that is the part that is being taken away from the album ... and is instead being called "progressive" ... any new voice is always different and this one was important. We are not allowed to see that, specially here.

And I agree with SD that the next album was almost a copy ... and that was more of a record company thing at the time, than it was anything else ... it was even forced on Pink Floyd after the massive success of TDSOTM, and what they were to release next was not, and WYWH came out. None of us are complaining however, because it was PF and the focus and direction was still strong and good ... but the bootlegs were showing a different direction that I bet they were not to follow yet ... and WYWH never sold one quarter of the other album did! KC has had the same issue ... I don't think any of their albums ever sold more than the 1st!

Because the 1st one was important ... the others were not as much.

No argument from me about how important the début was and ditto for the pale imitation that was the follow up. However, before you get too carried away with me actually agreeing with you MoshWink I have to say that the leap the band made as represented by Larks Tongues in Aspic was every bit as influential and far reaching as the début (albeit the Prog Zeitgeist had lost much of it's momentum in the interim) That little trilogy of Larks, Starless and Red for me, prefaced and intuited many of the contemporary developments that we enjoy now as fully fledged sub genres e.g. Math/Post Rock, Prog Metal and (at a pinch) Progressive Electronic. Those aforementioned albums were also for me pivotal in some aspects of post-punk and (gulp) grunge. For all intents and purposes any adventurous band after say, 1979 deploying guitars who claim NOT to be influenced by the innovations coined by Crimson are plain vanilla fibbing.

-------------

Posted By: Zombywoof
Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 20:40
King Crimson were the last group in which I tracked down every last album of their collection, and I have to say that I agree. I enjoy all of them, with the exception of a track or too from those 80s records.

-------------
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: February 10 2012 at 00:44
First album was the most important because it launched, not exactly the genre as people sometimes claim, but one kind of prog that has remained popular and 'classic'.  I am not going to get into other examples of prog constructed in somewhat different ways that predated KC here because this is not a "which is the first prog album" thread.

But meaningful?  What exactly does meaningful mean here anyway?  I would argue most of KC's work is too abstract to be meaningful in a social sense, with no disrespect meant to their work which I love so much.  Fripp doesn't generally write lyrics and whoever wrote the lines on his (the band's) compositions couldn't come up with stuff like "Every year's getting shorter/never seem to find the time".    And in terms of what the albums mean to me personally, I do find the Red album much more enthralling and engaging in so many ways.  ITCOTCK is all very orderly and symmetrical but doesn't have much of the phenomenal tension and intensity of Red. 

I know you, mosh, like to talk about how the emotional side of prog gets sidestepped and I'd submit that Red was a very important document in that light because it showed a way in which prog rock could also be ugly in a beautiful way, if that makes sense.  It brought much needed darker shades, violence and suspense to what was then a heavily keyboard oriented genre.  Some of these developments were already explored on the previous two albums but Red was more 'composed' and a sort of culmination of the efforts of that lineup.

Posted By: liquidmcrex
Date Posted: February 10 2012 at 14:30
I would put I talk to the wind up their best works, the imagery is stunning and is very easy for me to relate too ( Cynical and at times depressed teenager  )

Date Posted: February 10 2012 at 15:06

Back in 74' when I bought Starless and Bible Black there was no information printed on the album cover to explain that tracks like "Starless and Bible Black" and "Fracture" were actual recordings from the Amsterdam concert in 73'. I had the Amsterdam show on cassette which I had recorded direct off the radio on the "King Biscuit Flower Hour". There was an announcer introducing the songs and further explaining the concept of "Starless and Bible Black". When I picked up the cd "Nightwatch" in the late 90's....and heard the original live versions... I had an interesting time listening to pieces I had thought were recorded in the studio 20 years earlier.

The album Septober Energy by Centipede had this certain musical aspect to it. Sections of it build up like the pieces on Lizard and using the same instruments as well. A very strange period for Crimson. I believe Fripp was producing Septober Energy while Sinfield worked on the cover for Lizard. I disliked Pete Sinfield's Still and I thought McDonald and Giles was a bit too hokey in sections. My favorite period of Michael Giles was when he played drums on "Nightmare" by Anthony Phillips. I thought the piece "Breathless" from Exposure was more interesting than Red. I liked the Jamie Muir period and the live concert from the "Beat Club" is very unique.  

Did they mix the live recordings of the Starless And Bible Black tracks in the studio? The sound quality sounds way too polished and refined for it to be a live recording.

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2012 at 17:15

Did they mix the live recordings of the Starless And Bible Black tracks in the studio? The sound quality sounds way too polished and refined for it to be a live recording.

The audience was mixed out...although the audience was quite quiet during the performance anyway so the focus mainly on mixing out any cheering and clapping at the intro or ending of tracks was the course of action.. They overdubbed instruments for the tracks, but not many. Not nearly enough for the original identity of the performance to be lost. The 2 tracks are "Starless and Bible Black" and "Fracture". Guitarists in the past had commented to me how Fripp could never pull off the solo in the center section of the piece during a live performance to the level he obtained in the studio recording. They used to assume that until "Nightwatch" the Amsterdam show was released and the realization that it was live after all. The only problem with the Amsterdam show is that they butcher "The Night Watch" which I never liked the song, but the mellotron drops out and there are flaws such as a mis-counting between Fripp and Wetton while Bruford attempts to catch up and repair that minor train wreck.   

Date Posted: February 11 2012 at 23:26

The audience was mixed out...although the audience was quite quiet during the performance anyway so the focus mainly on mixing out any cheering and clapping at the intro or ending of tracks was the course of action.. They overdubbed instruments for the tracks, but not many. Not nearly enough for the original identity of the performance to be lost. The 2 tracks are "Starless and Bible Black" and "Fracture". Guitarists in the past had commented to me how Fripp could never pull off the solo in the center section of the piece during a live performance to the level he obtained in the studio recording. They used to assume that until "Nightwatch" the Amsterdam show was released and the realization that it was live after all. The only problem with the Amsterdam show is that they butcher "The Night Watch" which I never liked the song, but the mellotron drops out and there are flaws such as a mis-counting between Fripp and Wetton while Bruford attempts to catch up and repair that minor train wreck.   

Wow! I love Fracture. One of my favourite King Crimson tunes! Approve This Amsterdam show you speak of, is it a live rercording or live video footage?

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2012 at 15:20

Wow! I love Fracture. One of my favourite King Crimson tunes! Approve This Amsterdam show you speak of, is it a live rercording or live video footage?

This I believe comes right out of Fripp's personal vault. No video footage so far. Unless some roadie or sound tech bootleg it on the black market. I doubt it though because Fripp stays in touch with the circulation of his music. Once he heard a story about a certain individual who owned a copy of the "Kitchen Tape" and he traveled to Texas, hunted him down and persuaded him to hand it over. Fripp has an extensive catalog of live K.C. recordings in his posession and has released a great deal of it through the King Crimson Collector's Club. Also much of the more acessible releases like The Great Deceiver box set and other live recordings.

Date Posted: February 12 2012 at 16:25

This I believe comes right out of Fripp's personal vault. No video footage so far. Unless some roadie or sound tech bootleg it on the black market. I doubt it though because Fripp stays in touch with the circulation of his music. Once he heard a story about a certain individual who owned a copy of the "Kitchen Tape" and he traveled to Texas, hunted him down and persuaded him to hand it over. Fripp has an extensive catalog of live K.C. recordings in his posession and has released a great deal of it through the King Crimson Collector's Club. Also much of the more acessible releases like The Great Deceiver box set and other live recordings.

That goes to show how passionate Fripp is about his music! Also, on the topic of live recordings, is there any live footage of KC in the 70's? Rather than the obvious ones, Beat Club, Melody French TV, that one minute clip at Hyde Park, etc. I know there is tons of 80's footage with Belew and Levin. Those are the only ones I can find on youtube. If there isn't anymore 70's footage, other than the ones mentioned, do you know of any news that a new dvd is coming out?

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 12:12
Pete Sinfield's " writings were influential to the style of other prog bands It's very strange to think of it all as it was then. He had a style of his own with "Indoor Games" and "Cat Food". "In the Court of the Crimson King" created that mysterious vibe for the people in 69'. I remember reading something a long time ago which spoke of Pete Sinfield arriving to an airport and discovering his soundboard tape of the "Fillmore East" had vanished. I believe he must have told Fripp that it was stolen. I could have read this in the "Young Person's Guide" booklet or the "Epitaph" one. It surfaced as an audience tape but only with 4 tracks. Fripp claims it was the best live performance from the 69' band.

I don't know of any live video footage except for what you've mentioned. I saw a bootleg film of the band in Central Park 1974. Not very worthy. The "Beat Club" film is a distorted view because someone thought it would be cool to use those typical shaded psych colors which was the "In thing" at the time. The paint blocks your view of the performance...just as it does in ELP'S Pictures at an Exhibition. It's a shame that Crimson do not have a quality film like ELP in Belgium. .

Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 15:01
Right, I forgot about the live version of Easy Money in Central Park, 1974. Whats the song they perform after Easy Money? Is it Talking Drum or was it a group improvisation. It sure sounds like Talking Drum because of the distinct, jagged guitar melody/solo at the end and the the whole build up. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 18:50

Pete Sinfield's " writings were influential to the style of other prog bands It's very strange to think of it all as it was then. He had a style of his own with "Indoor Games" and "Cat Food". "In the Court of the Crimson King" created that mysterious vibe for the people in 69'. I remember reading something a long time ago which spoke of Pete Sinfield arriving to an airport and discovering his soundboard tape of the "Fillmore East" had vanished. I believe he must have told Fripp that it was stolen. I could have read this in the "Young Person's Guide" booklet or the "Epitaph" one. It surfaced as an audience tape but only with 4 tracks. Fripp claims it was the best live performance from the 69' band.

I don't know of any live video footage except for what you've mentioned. I saw a bootleg film of the band in Central Park 1974. Not very worthy. The "Beat Club" film is a distorted view because someone thought it would be cool to use those typical shaded psych colors which was the "In thing" at the time. The paint blocks your view of the performance...just as it does in ELP'S Pictures at an Exhibition. It's a shame that Crimson do not have a quality film like ELP in Belgium. .

I also like that ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition DVD... I was very impressed with the quality of the sound/vido... and very dissapointed aobut the psych colors you mention, it just ruins the experience for me. So, would that Belgium film be worthy of getting? Is that it's official name?

Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 18:56

Right, I forgot about the live version of Easy Money in Central Park, 1974. Whats the song they perform after Easy Money? Is it Talking Drum or was it a group improvisation. It sure sounds like Talking Drum because of the distinct, jagged guitar melody/solo at the end and the the whole build up. 

At one time...I owned all the live cd's from the 73'/74 band which were readily available from the "King Crimson's Collector's Club". Then I had about 10 bootleg audience recordings and a friend who played me recordings of yet other more fine sounding live recordings from the soundboard. He was a roadie for the Yardbirds (for a short time), and many other bands of the 60's. He was also a sound tech. He lives in a historical town and wishes not to be contacted by anyone. I visited him a few times in his music room which appears like a museum of live recordings dating from the 60's through the 70's. These are the types of individuals that should be releasing archives. He won't become involved because he is so screwed up from the music business and his main course of life is to remain inside his home. Obviously ...this is something for us all to consider. Roadies and sound techs from the 60's and 70's owning live recordings of our favorite bands that we may never live to hear.

The Crimson live material became a constant repeat in themes for me. It wasn't rewarding to own that many recordings. Fripp composed around tritones and developed a darkscape while the other members added their own ideas. Bruford had the most independence of anyone in that band. He could make a train wreck sound good or he could play around something sloppy and give the listener the impression that it was meant to sound that way. or extremely intentional. In that sense he was years ahead of many other professional musicians in his time.

Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 19:04

I also like that ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition DVD... I was very impressed with the quality of the sound/vido... and very dissapointed aobut the psych colors you mention, it just ruins the experience for me. So, would that Belgium film be worthy of getting? Is that it's official name?

My brother owns a dvd of this and I will have to contact him because I'm not sure if it has been officially released. It may have been originally filmed for television. It's a black and white film and it mostly features Emerson sitting down at the piano with the 3 of them running through "Take a Pebble", "Piano Improvisiations", and a few actual jazz pieces. It was about 40 minutes long and a worthwhile archive of the past.

Date Posted: February 14 2012 at 18:55
Oh well, perhaps I'll have to stick to the one I already have then.

Posted By: PolarWolf
Date Posted: February 15 2012 at 04:49
King Crimson is a band not too familiar to me, even though the first time I heard their music was already in 1995 or 1996 when "Dinosaur" was played in a radio show that concentrated on progressive rock.
Anyway, I've got seriously into prog just recently (or at least I think so, as almost every album I purchased last year was more or less prog) and now decided to make my first post here to get some advice on KC.

I have three of their albums: ItCotCK, Red and Thrak and I like them all, the debut being my favourite so far. I like how they combine so different elements in their albums: screeching heavy guitars, symphonic mellotron passages, haunting vocals and very free form jazz. I've also listened to Three of a Perfect Pair and ConstruKction of Light a couple of years ago but wasn't too impressed by them. I might give them a second chance some day, though.

So now I've listened some songs on Youtube and decided that the next album I would dig into would be either Larks' Tongues in Aspic or Starless And Bible Black. I'd like to ask your opinion on the 40th anniversary CD+DVD-A versions. I have a stereo system, so I won't get 5.1 sound, but I guess the Hi-Res stereo mixes make buying it worthwhile? Has anyone compared these 40th anniversary stereo mixes to previously remastered albums?

I've also understood that King Crimson is an excellent live band so I thought I might get one of their concert DVD's. Which one do you think is the best?

Date Posted: February 15 2012 at 10:28
Originally posted by PolarWolf PolarWolf wrote:

I've also understood that King Crimson is an excellent live band so I thought I might get one of their concert DVD's. Which one do you think is the best?

Good question, I have a few.  There's nothing of quality predating the '80's.  You can watch a Youtube video of the Larks Tongues band doing the first song.  Neil And Jack And Me has the Beat tour along with a show from the Three Of A Perfect Pair tour.  Deja Vroom is a DVD that was made from the next incarnation.  Has some alternate video angle stuff.   I think Eyes Wide Open is as recent as you can get.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: February 15 2012 at 14:42
I remember King Crimson playing "Larks Tongues In Aspic Part II" and "Easy Money" on the "Midnight Special". They were introduced by "Wolfman Jack". That was very strange to see in the 70's. A decade later they were performing "Larks Tongues In Aspic Part Suck"

Posted By: Todd
Date Posted: February 15 2012 at 15:10

I'd like to ask your opinion on the 40th anniversary CD+DVD-A versions. I have a stereo system, so I won't get 5.1 sound, but I guess the Hi-Res stereo mixes make buying it worthwhile? Has anyone compared these 40th anniversary stereo mixes to previously remastered albums?

Welcome, PolarWolf!  I have done some comparisons between the various editions of the KC catalogue, and I have to say that the best version for you really depends on your taste.  I happen to like the sound that replicates the master tapes or a good vinyl pressing.  Some like to have the treble and bass cranked and it be a bit louder.  I find that when those changes are made, the sound becomes less clear, and that bothers me.  But again, for some it's not a problem, as they're primarily listening on MP3 players and/or earbuds.

Regarding the 40th series (CD/DVD), none of the stereo mixes that I've heard, except for Lizard, are as good as the 30th Anniversary series.  The other comment I would make is that Red is best on the EG version, over the 30th or the 40th.  (I have a 5.1 system, so for me it's a no-brainer--every one of them sounds phenomenal in 5.1--I rarely even listen to the stereo versions anymore.) 

As far as extras go, there are a fair bit on these 40th releases.  Nothing really that I'd consider essential, though.

-------------
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

http://gnosis2000.net/ratertodd.shtml" rel="nofollow - My Gnosis Ratings

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: February 15 2012 at 18:03
Fripp & friends are always interesting; but only the first album has relevance for me.

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: February 15 2012 at 20:36
I had a dream a couple of nights ago where a fellow PA member and I were grocery shopping for Thanksgiving type food in a dimly lit market and "Fallen Angel" was playing over the loudspeakers. We were dressed like we owned a speakeasy and our checkout girl was an old Asian women who barked ancient proverbs at me.

Just thought I'd share.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: CloseToTheMoon
Date Posted: February 16 2012 at 02:27
I think the 80s albums are overrated. And I haven't been interested in anything after that. Which is strange because the guitar work is the most interesting part of KC. 

-------------
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: February 16 2012 at 02:39
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

I had a dream a couple of nights ago where a fellow PA member and I were grocery shopping for Thanksgiving type food in a dimly lit market and "Fallen Angel" was playing over the loudspeakers. We were dressed like we owned a speakeasy and our checkout girl was an old Asian women who barked ancient proverbs at me.

Just thought I'd share.

Nice. LOL

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: February 16 2012 at 04:11
Originally posted by CloseToTheMoon CloseToTheMoon wrote:

I think the 80s albums are overrated. And I haven't been interested in anything after that. Which is strange because the guitar work is the most interesting part of KC. 

For me, 80's King Crimson are less accessible, but I guess that's because new wave ain't 'my' genre.

Date Posted: February 16 2012 at 07:21

Good question, I have a few.  There's nothing of quality predating the '80's.  You can watch a Youtube video of the Larks Tongues band doing the first song.  Neil And Jack And Me has the Beat tour along with a show from the Three Of A Perfect Pair tour.  Deja Vroom is a DVD that was made from the next incarnation.  Has some alternate video angle stuff.   I think Eyes Wide Open is as recent as you can get.

Thanks for the info. I think Deja Vroom with its selectable camera angles seems most interesting.

Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Welcome, PolarWolf!  I have done some comparisons between the various editions of the KC catalogue, and I have to say that the best version for you really depends on your taste.  I happen to like the sound that replicates the master tapes or a good vinyl pressing.  Some like to have the treble and bass cranked and it be a bit louder.  I find that when those changes are made, the sound becomes less clear, and that bothers me.  But again, for some it's not a problem, as they're primarily listening on MP3 players and/or earbuds.

Regarding the 40th series (CD/DVD), none of the stereo mixes that I've heard, except for Lizard, are as good as the 30th Anniversary series.  The other comment I would make is that Red is best on the EG version, over the 30th or the 40th.  (I have a 5.1 system, so for me it's a no-brainer--every one of them sounds phenomenal in 5.1--I rarely even listen to the stereo versions anymore.) 

As far as extras go, there are a fair bit on these 40th releases.  Nothing really that I'd consider essential, though.

Thanks, Todd. It's true that many of the remastered albums (and new releases as well) nowadays are too loud and less dynamic. Hmm... I seem to have the EG's 30th Anniversary edition of Red and it does sound very good. I probably won't upgrade that then. But maybe I'll try 40th Anniversary version of Starless And Bible Black. Larks Tongues seem not have that DVD-A version available yet.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 12:37
if you have already liked 3 of their albums i think you should continue for starters with actually any one of their 70's albums , you can't go wrong there.
larks.. and starless... are "similar"  to red . the first 4 albums are less heavy on the guitar and has more woodwinds and strings all are amazing from an amazing band!!
have fun!

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 12:30
One particular part of their history that I find laughable is the irony in Gordon Haskell. He had let out this scream of rage after the second verse in "Cirkus" which made the song more creepy , however he was screaming because he couldn't stand what he was singing. But you wouldn't want to hear anyone else sing this song. Then at the closing of "Indoor Games" with his bizzare sounding laughter. Again the laughter was fitting to the album, yet he was laughing because he couldn't believe someone was asking him to sing nonsense and this is all quite strange and ironic.

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 19:59
If this is all true, then it is a very interesting (and funny) couple of facts; I would have thought it was all intentional. And it would be strange that they (Fripp) decided to leave it in the recording... perhaps in the end he thought it sounded cool, regardless of the reasons for the screaming and the laughter???

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 22:07
I wonder what you hardcore fans think about their latest album , which presents another new direction on the king's road? Being a huge fan myself I still haven't got usd to it.

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 22:50
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Just thought I'd share.

Nice. LOL

I once had a dream that I was riding a public bus with folks from all walks of life and suddenly, from nowhere, "Epitaph" began and I said "Wow, cool, King Crimson!". Then for some turned around and shushed me. Weird huh?

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 09:46

If this is all true, then it is a very interesting (and funny) couple of facts; I would have thought it was all intentional. And it would be strange that they (Fripp) decided to leave it in the recording... perhaps in the end he thought it sounded cool, regardless of the reasons for the screaming and the laughter???
Exactly. Another strange part of their history with Jamie Muir is sometimes over-looked in one sense.... they were  more free form in the areas of improvisation.
Collins, Wallace, and Boz were performing King Crimson songs in a "Blues/Funk/R&B" style in 1972. There was a "Blues" version of "In the Court of the Crimson King" and by the time "Earthbound" was recorded it was mutiny on Fripp. When you listen to the live shows from 71'...the band is well rehearsed and performing outstanding versions of "Cirkus" "Formentera Lady", "I.T.C.O.T.C.K.", "Lady of the Dancing Water" etc   To see them live in 1972 and not be aware of the difference in sound and structure they had in 71' is a rude awakening. Fripp did not seem interested in playing the Blues and I have never seen evidence of it.

Eventually Collins, Wallace, and Boz had their day with Alexis Corner and Snape while Fripp moved on to produce Larks. All simply a difference in musical direction. Most interesting is the live version of "Sailor's Tale" on "Live in Plymouth 71'  possibly clocking in over 14 minutes. The center section where Wallace plays a tribal beat, Pete Sinfield creates the sound of ocean waves with the VCS synth, and Mel Collins playing the most unusal Caribbean jazz improv on flute is amazing.   

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 10:10
Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

Fripp & friends are always interesting; but only the first album has relevance for me.

BINGO and thank you. The only issue is that too many people are not sure what the relevance is and how it relates to the time and place, and what a magic anthem it was for the time and place.

I can't really blame people for that though, when today's music is often way too insipid and trying to make itself relevant simply by using a quote of Jesus or someone else. Which is sad, because the man himself never quoted anyone else ... but only himself ... and here we are ... quoting someone outside of ourselves as an excuse for supposedly believing something that we do not understand and still question!

Relevance is not an idea! It's a reality!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:04

BINGO and thank you. The only issue is that too many people are not sure what the relevance is and how it relates to the time and place, and what a magic anthem it was for the time and place.

I can't really blame people for that though, when today's music is often way too insipid and trying to make itself relevant simply by using a quote of Jesus or someone else. Which is sad, because the man himself never quoted anyone else ... but only himself ... and here we are ... quoting someone outside of ourselves as an excuse for supposedly believing something that we do not understand and still question!

Forgive me (for I have sinnedTongue), but what, precisely, is the relevance of Jesus in a discussion thread about King Crimson?

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:06
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Forgive me (for I have sinnedTongue), but what, precisely, is the relevance of Jesus in a discussion thread about King Crimson?

I think that the messiah in this scenario is played by Robert Fripp. I could easily be totally wrong though

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:10

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I think that the messiah in this scenario is played by Robert Fripp. I could easily be totally wrong though

Is it time for a "he's not the Messiah".......joke?LOL

Seriously, I have an easier time making sense of the reports from the Hadron Collider than deciphering some of these posts.

-------------

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 13:20
No, Fripp is certainly the Messiah of prog rock.  Wink

Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 13:55
No ...i'm the messiah!!

Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 13:56
You're not the Messiah. you're just a very naught y boy!

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 19:37
I thought Fripp was the dinosaur.

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 02:31
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Somebody has digged out his bones.

Posted By: ProggyLady
Date Posted: March 07 2012 at 14:13
Cool cover of Matte Kudasai, great animation as well:

Posted By: NickHall
Date Posted: March 07 2012 at 15:49
only crimson king means anything tho none are bad as such

Posted By: VanVanVan
Date Posted: March 07 2012 at 16:03
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Somebody has digged out his bones.

I probably enjoy that song a little bit more than it deserves. 

Nice avatar, btw. Thumbs Up

-------------
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen

Date Posted: March 20 2012 at 07:07
I finally received my Starless & Bible Black 40th Anniversary box and it is very impressive already in the first few listens (well, I knew Great Deceiver and Fracture beforehand).
I don't usually listen improvisational music much but the mood created in e.g. Trio and the title song is amazing. And it's exciting that Fripp didn't tell at the time of release that many of the tracks were recorded live. Also the Night Watch is beautiful. The intro especially is the most magical moment on the album.

So, this is the fourth KC album I have (others are the debut, Red & THRAK) and it seems I'm fast becoming a King Crimson fan. There's something magical in their music. Except their 80's material maybe, because so far the songs I've heard from that time have left me cold. 
Lark's Tongues is probably the next in line. Poseidon is said to be a remake of the debut but I guess I'll have to find out myself.

Date Posted: March 20 2012 at 08:56
I have to say I'm a bit jealous of you guys who get into classic prog well after the initial event.  Great box sets if you can cough up the cash.  On the other hand many of us got to see the acts live.  And then again there is all this old concert stuff now available on DVD that surprises me.  So anyway, enjoy your KC exploration.  I like the '80's stuff though.  I can understand how it might leave you cold.  You really have to follow what Fripp was doing post Red.  He was exploring many avenues before he decided to reconstitute the band.

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:08
Is it true that  the whole Starless and Bible Black album (except for "The Great Deceiver" and "Lament" and maybe "The Mincer"?) was edited from that one concert now released on CD as "The Night Watch"?

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:24
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Is it true that  the whole Starless and Bible Black album (except for "The Great Deceiver" and "Lament" and maybe "The Mincer"?) was edited from that one concert now released on CD as "The Night Watch"?

No rumor, it's in the liner notes of Nightwatch.  Although there is some stuff there that isn't in the live show released on CD and vice versa.  Fripp basically says that he likes to try stuff out live first and so Starless was derived from live recordings with the audience edited out.

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:58

I finally received my Starless & Bible Black 40th Anniversary box and it is very impressive already in the first few listens (well, I knew Great Deceiver and Fracture beforehand).
I don't usually listen improvisational music much but the mood created in e.g. Trio and the title song is amazing. And it's exciting that Fripp didn't tell at the time of release that many of the tracks were recorded live. Also the Night Watch is beautiful. The intro especially is the most magical moment on the album.

So, this is the fourth KC album I have (others are the debut, Red & THRAK) and it seems I'm fast becoming a King Crimson fan. There's something magical in their music. Except their 80's material maybe, because so far the songs I've heard from that time have left me cold. 
Lark's Tongues is probably the next in line. Poseidon is said to be a remake of the debut but I guess I'll have to find out myself.

I suggest collecting everything from the 70s that you can get your hands on, but skip those remixes!! SW and RF cut a lot of stuff out of the 40th anniversary sets (mostly "Lizard") and ruined a lot of the dynamics of the original! I'm a big fan of "Poseidon" ... I don't get why everyone hates it.

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:10

You really have to follow what Fripp was doing post Red.  He was exploring many avenues before he decided to reconstitute the band.
I think your right, those that comes from "new" music moving backwards into prog, may find early 80's very strange and even bad, but that was not the way it felt back then, everything was brand new.
Exposure, The League of G, reformation of KC, Eno/byrne, Remain in Light, Gabriel IV.
It all felt natural at the time, exploring new tech. possibilities, mixing more "world" into the tracks, ect. ect.

(the boring stuff was Genesis Yes Floyd, because they didnt evolve, they just added more mainstream into the music)

-------------

Posted By: spknoevl
Date Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:21
Fripp has never been content to rest on his laurels and has constantly reinvented himself and KC.  That, in my opinion, is a good thing.  Too many great prog bands from the 70s either dumbed themselves down to achieve commercial success or simply continued to regurgitate the same music for decades.  Wasn't the whole reason most of us were initially attracted to prog rock was because it was different?  While I love certain periods of many bands, I certainly don't want them to stand still and the ones that still hold my interest are the ones that continue to evolve, but in a good way.

-------------
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick

Date Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:41
Originally posted by spknoevl spknoevl wrote:

Fripp has never been content to rest on his laurels and has constantly reinvented himself and KC.  That, in my opinion, is a good thing.  Too many great prog bands from the 70s either dumbed themselves down to achieve commercial success or simply continued to regurgitate the same music for decades.  Wasn't the whole reason most of us were initially attracted to prog rock was because it was different?  While I love certain periods of many bands, I certainly don't want them to stand still and the ones that still hold my interest are the ones that continue to evolve, but in a good way.

Spot on dude!!!
Speaking as someone who hopped on the prog bandwagon in the late '70's, that is precisely my impression.  While you may not like the results he, uh, regurgitated in proper fashion.  Which is to say, he incorporated elements from the past, and did it well.

-------------

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:52
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Been a fan of KC for years - I do find some of their later albums a little challenging at times, but they tend to reward persistence; the Discipline/Beat/Three Of A Perfect Pair albums are by far some of my favorite progressive albums from the 1980s, but the 1970's output I find difficult to fault at all.

Great, if unpredictable, live band to see, too.

In my humble opinion, I think Robert Fripp is the epitomy of progressive rock; been going over 40 years & has always pushed the boundaries, never stagnated, always moved on. Everything featuring Fripp under the KC name doesn't even scratch the surface though - what of the numerous side projects, solo albums, guest appearances, collaborations...

And still he got time to marry Toyah...

But to finish, though...

meh

Well Fripp's work with Crimson is certainly scratching the surface. Anybody from the mid-16th century remember this one off :

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:59
Oh yes, that also came up in this tread, just last night. 
LGBT in Progressive Rock

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2012 at 11:18
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Well Fripp's work with Crimson is certainly scratching the surface. Anybody from the mid-16th century remember this one off :

If you enjoyed that you really need to get the live album:

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk