Print Page | Close Window

Recent Vangelis Talk about A Message of Hope

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84717
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 21:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Recent Vangelis Talk about A Message of Hope
Posted By: brainstormer
Subject: Recent Vangelis Talk about A Message of Hope
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 15:33

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Replies:
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 03 2012 at 17:37
Good interview.  I haven't read or seen an interview with him in many years.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 16:18
Very interesting interview. Quite philosophical is ole Vangelis. Success has made him a 'prisoner' as he is unable to break the mould apparently.
He repeated his view that he is a servant to music and the creative process involves him being a bit like a lightning conductor (although he didn't use those words exactly). He also believes that all 'forced' music is a manufactured product and so 'good' music can only happen via a natural process and not be too heavily influenced by the composer. Could be considered a bit 'odd' perhaps but all the true genius in any field are 'odd' by their very nature.Smile

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 10 2012 at 16:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

...He repeated his view that he is a servant to music and the creative process involves him being a bit like a lightning conductor (although he didn't use those words exactly). He also believes that all 'forced' music is a manufactured product and so 'good' music can only happen via a natural process and not be too heavily influenced by the composer. Could be considered a bit 'odd' perhaps but all the true genius in any field are 'odd' by their very nature.Smile

His interview during "Heaven and Hell" has always been, and remained, one of the single greatest inspirations for me. He mentions the difference between "commercial music" and the rest of music ... and then even goes on to say that he uses odd things and instruments in his work ... like there are t-spoons in everyone of his works!

I really think he is a product of a time where theater, film and art, and music were so experimental, and some of the spaghetti stuck in the wall and some didn't. He is very capable of expressing it and explaining it, however, this is very difficult to explain to most people that look at the "arts" as some sort of an academic process, as the definitions of "progressive" music have become ... at that point the music is "dead" because you will not be appreciated for copying what was written down ... and not a single musician out there can ever be himself, or original ... because it is now "defined".

I am not sure that he is one of the most experimental and creative ones. I kinda think that Edgar Froese fits in there somewhere, and so does Riuichi Sakamoto, and Michael Oldfield, and Klaus Schulze ... people who have never quit experimenting with sounds and textures in music ... and lost their "progressive" side because no one could peg them down with definitions.

There is always hope with the arts ... any of them ... it's just a matter of turning your eyes in another direction and stop looking at the past ... it's really simple!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 10 2012 at 17:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

...He repeated his view that he is a servant to music and the creative process involves him being a bit like a lightning conductor (although he didn't use those words exactly). He also believes that all 'forced' music is a manufactured product and so 'good' music can only happen via a natural process and not be too heavily influenced by the composer. Could be considered a bit 'odd' perhaps but all the true genius in any field are 'odd' by their very nature.Smile

His interview during "Heaven and Hell" has always been, and remained, one of the single greatest inspirations for me. He mentions the difference between "commercial music" and the rest of music ... and then even goes on to say that he uses odd things and instruments in his work ... like there are t-spoons in everyone of his works!

I really think he is a product of a time where theater, film and art, and music were so experimental, and some of the spaghetti stuck in the wall and some didn't. He is very capable of expressing it and explaining it, however, this is very difficult to explain to most people that look at the "arts" as some sort of an academic process, as the definitions of "progressive" music have become ... at that point the music is "dead" because you will not be appreciated for copying what was written down ... and not a single musician out there can ever be himself, or original ... because it is now "defined".

I am not sure that he is one of the most experimental and creative ones. I kinda think that Edgar Froese fits in there somewhere, and so does Riuichi Sakamoto, and Michael Oldfield, and Klaus Schulze ... people who have never quit experimenting with sounds and textures in music ... and lost their "progressive" side because no one could peg them down with definitions.

There is always hope with the arts ... any of them ... it's just a matter of turning your eyes in another direction and stop looking at the past ... it's really simple!

Did occur to me watching that interview that I had already heard those views expressed here.Big smile

The interviewer clearly struggled at times and I couldn't help but have some symathy for him.LOL

Anyway to Vangelis and his glorious eccentricity and amazing talent I raise a glass or twoBeer

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 10 2012 at 21:48
so this isn't a thread about talking vaginas... 

Date Posted: February 11 2012 at 03:23
Silly Boy

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 06:00
Still waiting for a new album

-------------
FAIS QUE TON REVE SOIT PLUS LONG QUE LA NUIT HAVE YOUR DREAM LASTING LONGER THAN THE NIGHT

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 09:30
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

Still waiting for a new album
Seems to me that Vangelis wants to concentrate on his classical composing while the record company want the electronic stuff. Seems to have lead to an impasse.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk