Print Page | Close Window

Benoit David has left Yes...says Squire

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84795
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 01:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Benoit David has left Yes...says Squire
Posted By: Harold-The-Barrel
Subject: Benoit David has left Yes...says Squire
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 08:45
UPDATE; I'm not sure how reliable this blogspot is but its just says what we already knew was going to happen, that despite yesterdays rebuttal by Jon Davison that his joining the band was only temporary, Chris Squire has seemingly put that idea to bed...Benoit David has left the building!
  http://www.noise11.com/news/exclusive-yes-recruit-another-new-singer-20120208" rel="nofollow - http://www.noise11.com/news/exclusive-yes-recruit-another-new-singer-20120208
"

Yes have a new lead singer. Benoit David is out. Jon Davison is in.

http://www.noise11.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Yes.jpg" rel="nofollow">Yes

Chris Squire with Yes

“Jon Davison is coming in because of Benoit’s departure. I always hope that when there is a member change in the band that it will be a permanent thing. Only time will tell really”, founding member Chris Squire told Noise11.com this morning.
“I don’t know if I’m meant to be telling you this yet, so I guess you’ve got a scoop,”

Like Benoit David, Jon Davison was discovered fronting a Yes covers band. Benoit had joined Yes after the departure of original singer Jon Anderson. He has been suffering from respiratory failure this year and could not continue on for the Australia tour in April. However, his departure is permanent.

“Yes, he has officially left Yes,” Chris says.

Benoit David joined Yes in 2008. He sings lead on the latest yes album ‘Fly From Here’.

“People have left to go off to do various projects and solo projects over the years,” Chris says. “Some like Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman have left and come back. In Rick’s case, four times. It’s always been a fairly flexible in and out door for some members of the band. At the last count, including Jon Davison, he is the 18th member of the band. It has never been personal problems. It’s just things that happen at certain times”.

Chris says he is still friends with Jon Anderson and in regular communication. “We email each other. We have a cordial relationship,” he says. “He is out there at the moment doing some solo shows. He is a lot healthier now than he was a few years ago when he was suffering from his breathing problems. He is getting back into it. I have never closed the door on working with Jon again. He has left the band before and come back and left it again and come back. It is an unusual situation. We will work together in the future but right now we are promoting the Fly From Here album which is our first studio album in 10 years”.

The Australian setlist will feature the new album plus Yes classics. “We will be doing the new material from the Fly From Here album. It will pretty much the same as the Europe setlist around Christmas time,’ Chris says.

“There are songs from a couple of different eras. The 70s of course, ‘Roundabout’, ‘I’ve Seen All Good People’ are very popular songs as was ‘Starship Trooper’ from ‘The Yes Album’. From ‘Fragile’ there is ‘Heart of the Sunrise’ and sometimes we do ‘Long Distance Runaround’. Then there is the ‘90125’ must which we don’t do that much as we’d probably like to because that was a different guitar player in there, Trevor Rabin. Steve Howe is back in the band. We do a little bit of music from that era, the mid 80s "

This is getting beyond a joke now
http://www.facebook.com/yestheband" rel="nofollow - YES Recruit New Singer

Prog rock band YES were forced to cancel the last 3 shows of their European Tour in December due to the illness of lead vocalist Benoit David who has still not recovered. To avoid disappointing their fans on the forthcoming Australasian leg of their world tour, they have found a replacement singer.

Jon Davison will join YES as lead vocalist for the upcoming dates in New Zealand, Australia, Japan, Indonesia, and Hawaii. YES really appreciate Jon Davison joining them for this leg of the tour and are sure this arrangement will satisfy all YES fans.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/yestheband" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/#!/yestheband

-------------
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......

Replies:
Posted By: prog4ever
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 09:44
Is this a polite way to say :Bye Bye David It's been fun if not let's call it  the Jon Anderson curse . loll

But seriously Jon Davison any relation to the late Brian Davison of The Nice and Refugee fame? 

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 09:48
I'm sorry but LOL I think I said this was going to happen when there was news about David's illness. Not on this board, though. Beyond a joke, yes.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: GoldenGod2112
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 09:51
Hahahahahahaha wow.

-------------
The future's uncertain and the end is always near. - Jim Morrison

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 10:03
I don't see the problem or the joke.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 10:14

Apparently he's the singer in Glass Hammer. I suspect a Jon Anderson plot myself.

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 10:45
On reading this I just listened to Glass Hammer's If, and JD would certainly fit.

His voice is nearer to JA's than Horns' or or David's ever was.

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 10:46
-Jon
-David

+Jon Davidson

Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 11:44
I'm astonished! I've just listened to Glass Hmmer's IF album with Jon Davison twice, and I can only say that this is the album that Yes should have made years ago.

I've had Glass Hammer filed under 'also ran' for a number of years now, never really paying much attention apart from a cursory listen now and again and then shelving them for some future opportunity.

But 'If' is really something else, and apparently the lyrical content and melodies were left up to JD, and he's made one hell of a grand job of it. It's practically a continuation of their Going For the One era. Fantastic!

Hearing that he might be joining Yes (even temporarily), I can't help thinking that musically it's bound to be a let-down for him, considering Yes' output of the last 15 or so years (except the Ladder. I liked that one).

Got to get Glass hammer's latest album with JD as singer now. can't wait to hear it.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 12:02
Benoit has some serious health issue and can't sing---the tour was booked so why cancel? I heard they were to do summer tour of USA which may or may not happen if Benoit is not all better. By fall ---Howe is with Asia for a 30th anniversary tour so no Yes until 2013----maybe Squire will now have time to tour with Hackett this summer so all's well that ends well ha ha.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 12:29
It wouldn't surprise me if some network were to create a soap opera based upon the comings & goings in Yes.

I genuinely think it's time to call it a day, before they sink into utter embarrassment.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 12:50

Wow...

Nobody wants to sing for Yes anymore.   I wonder if they tapped Roger Hodgeson of supertramp again?

He could use the boost!  HAHA.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: ProgressiveAttic
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 12:56
This is how Jon Davison sounds like:

I like his singing better than Benoit's... but Benoit is a great vocalist nonetheless...

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 13:36
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if some network were to create a soap opera based upon the comings & goings in Yes.

I genuinely think it's time to call it a day, before they sink into utter embarrassment.

I once wrote a whodunnit more or less about that subject on PA, some years ago.
I have to update it again, though.
The Yes saga is definitely beyond imagination Smile

Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 15:02
I like the last album a lot and still think they make some good prog music (as good or better than a lot of groups out there) and should keep going---they have nothing to be embarrassed about----Maybe the original three should get Moraz back and just tour with special guest vocalists---
Bruno Mars, Annie Lennox, Jon Anderson, Cher, last years runner up on American Idol---whoever---LOL

I mean clearly these Yes songs are blowing out  vocal chords everywhere and maybe one tour is all a singer can take!

Posted By: aprusso
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 15:19
Yes is becoming like the good old Soviet Communist Party. When they don't like somebody anymore, they declare him ill and appoint the successor. 

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 15:52
Was I the only one hoping for a Scott Stapp recruitment?

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 16:41
Originally posted by aprusso aprusso wrote:

Yes is becoming like the good old Soviet Communist Party. When they don't like somebody anymore, they declare him ill and appoint the successor. 

Haha, yes. Or I get Godfather associations. "I'm making you an offer you can't refuse."

Posted By: zumacraig
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 16:59
i wouldn't mind a female vocalist.  at the same time, it's sad to see this.  the live show has been touch and go since the orchestra tour.  i think they should've called it a day after keys.  go out on a high note.  i wonder, how long can these guys keep playing.  i'm 38 and can't imagine flying to australia and putting on a prog rock show, even for one night:)

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 18:54
Apparently there is this guy, Jon Anderson, who sings the songs pretty well and knows "most" of their material. 

Should look 'em up. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 20:04
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Apparently there is this guy, Jon Anderson, who sings the songs pretty well and knows "most" of their material. 

Should look 'em up. 

Really! Get Out! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 20:45

Should look 'em up. 

I think the boys really tried to work with Jon for years---(and I like Yes with Jon) but it always had to be his way or the highway---he never realized he needed the boys more than they need him---his solo stuff suffers from lack of Howe, Squire and White--it's rambling and self indulgent and tiresome---whereas Fly from here has some good stuff on it. And overall is a pretty good record.  Is it In the Presence of....No...but it took a long time for Jon to come up with something as good as that...the rest has been really hit or miss for a long time.

Posted By: Zombiezilla
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 22:13
Word is that they DID contact Anderson, and he turned them down for the time being. There is no word as to if his "no" extends to forever, or just until this tour is done. They are touring in support of Fly From Here, and there is no way Anderson would sing the material, one would figure.

Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 22:38
Originally posted by Zombiezilla Zombiezilla wrote:

Word is that they DID contact Anderson, and he turned them down for the time being. There is no word as to if his "no" extends to forever, or just until this tour is done. They are touring in support of Fly From Here, and there is no way Anderson would sing the material, one would figure.

Yeah--that's an unconfirmed rumor---seems unlikely they'd invite him back and unlikely he'd accept a big tour of Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, etc. considering his health----but eventually we will find out---another unconfirmed report is Benoit quit the band for good----if that is true it will be interesting to know why---maybe non-stop life on the road was not for him. Who knows?

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 22:44

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: February 06 2012 at 22:51
I'm in Australia and plan on going to the Melbourne show, must say I'd love it if they could drag all of the Glass Hammer along to play the support slot!

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 03:21
It's not Yes without Benoit David   LOL

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 03:43
Perfect. Now they just need to find somebody named Erson to get involved somehow and we'll have the ideal Yes lineup!

-------------

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 07:35
Jon Davison is a good singer.  GH sounded so like Yes it wasn't true on their last two albums.  A good move for both the band and him.  

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 08:30
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

It's not Yes without Benoit David   LOL

hilarious!!

ironically, this thread has got me checking out GH seriously.  last i heard from them was Chronometry years ago.  

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 09:44
Amazing!  I pointed out Jon Davison's talents on PA back when the Benoit announcement was first made....this is likely to give Yes a new shot in the arm, as Benoit was, well, pathetic in the extreme (although he twirled nicely onstage). 

Davison posted this to the Glass Hammer Facebook page:

----------

I wish to sincerely thank you for all your support these past years since I’ve been a member of Glass Hammer. It’s been such a joy sharing the magic of music with you. 

In light of the news revealed yesterday about my singing for Yes on their upcoming tour, I felt it important to communicate with all of you that though I'm grateful and excited for this amazing opportunity, it will not jeopardize my involvement with Glass Hammer in any way. I plan to steadfastly and enthusiastically continue with Steve, Fred, and Alan and I’m looking forward to tracking in May for the new album. 

Thanks again! :::Jon:::

-------

Here's a bit of Davison with the Yes tribute band "Roundabout," I think his similarity to Jon Anderson's voice is uncanny....

ps. edited to change Jon's name to the proper "Davison" from "Davidson!"  Sorry 'bout that, Jon!  Rock on, man, enjoy the gig!!  

Posted By: dennismoore
Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 09:45
Originally posted by Harold-The-Barrel Harold-The-Barrel wrote:

This is getting beyond a joke now

Dear Harold,

Please don't jump, everything will be ok with YES.

My favourite band is YES, hands down, I have not missed a show since 1977. (1980 i was in bootcamp, sorry...)

I know that many YES fans can't stand anybody but Jon A. in YES, ok... for them nothing will satisfy...

However, Jon Davidson will be just dandy.  Please feel free to get Glass Hammer - If or the new Glass Hammer - Cor Corundum (spelling???).  He has an angel's voice, clarion clear, sharp and pitch perfect.  I can't imagine a better choice
and a big upgrade from B. David ( I like BD, by the way...)

Please check out the 2 Glass Hammer CDs, then reply back!

Anybody who doesn't know Jon Davison is in for a treat.

P.S.  Jon Davison's voice is AWESOME (As I am not a fan of his "preaching" in Glass Hammer, I am NO fanboy of his,
but I gotta give the man props for his "pipes")

-------------
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 10:13
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I think the boys really tried to work with Jon for years---(and I like Yes with Jon) but it always had to be his way or the highway---he never realized he needed the boys more than they need him---his solo stuff suffers from lack of Howe, Squire and White--it's rambling and self indulgent and tiresome---whereas Fly from here has some good stuff on it. ...but it took a long time for Jon to come up with something as good as that...the rest has been really hit or miss for a long time.

@Horizons: Apparently there is this thing called money, I doubt B.D. was getting a full share and I guess that Alan,
Steve & Chris got most $$$ as keyboardist & singer got a road share (If anybody knows otherwise, please straighten me out here!)  So getting JA would mean a big financial change and perhaps JA would want more than the others??? As I love JA dearly and there is no YES magic quite like his in the band, he does bring problems that blind JA fans just do not wish to consider.  A big one is his refusal to sing a LOT of YES music...Also not sure if JA's health would allow all the flights from California to Austrailia and such... Yet, I still dream of a YES & JA tour before it is too late.  Cheers!

@twosteves, I do LOVE JA but I agree with your above take completely.  "rambling and self indulgent and tiresome" is exactly how I consider his stuff of the last 15 years plus.  I tried to get into his live new CD with Wake-E-Mon and I couldn't.  Too preachy, too simple, no good melodies.  What happened to the magic of Olias???  Ok, now I am phucked, I commited the unthinkable sin, I actually criticized JA.  God help me!   But yeah, you are right about Jon, "hit or miss" I actually love the YES - Fly From Here suite and the last track on the record. Nothing YES has done since Silent Wings of Freedom tops Fly From Here suite, IMHO... I guess I am now 2X damned by the JA worshipers.  Oh dear....

-------------
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 10:58
There are people blogging who are "in the know" that Benoit was let go because he couldn't write and because his voice live was not consistent----the last is true he was pretty bad live when I saw them last year yet he sounds okay in the new live CD--but maybe that was fixed in studio mix.

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 12:22
thanks for the video.  he does sound awesome.  his voice is a true alto like anderson.  david is a tenor at best and had to stretch for the high notes.  btw, jon looks cool as well. and his name is JON!

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 12:26
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

I think the boys really tried to work with Jon for years---(and I like Yes with Jon) but it always had to be his way or the highway---he never realized he needed the boys more than they need him---his solo stuff suffers from lack of Howe, Squire and White--it's rambling and self indulgent and tiresome---whereas Fly from here has some good stuff on it. ...but it took a long time for Jon to come up with something as good as that...the rest has been really hit or miss for a long time.

@Horizons: Apparently there is this thing called money, I doubt B.D. was getting a full share and I guess that Alan,
Steve & Chris got most $$$ as keyboardist & singer got a road share (If anybody knows otherwise, please straighten me out here!)  So getting JA would mean a big financial change and perhaps JA would want more than the others??? As I love JA dearly and there is no YES magic quite like his in the band, he does bring problems that blind JA fans just do not wish to consider.  A big one is his refusal to sing a LOT of YES music...Also not sure if JA's health would allow all the flights from California to Austrailia and such... Yet, I still dream of a YES & JA tour before it is too late.  Cheers!

@Seriously, I do LOVE JA but I agree with your above take completely.  "rambling and self indulgent and tiresome" is exactly how I consider his stuff of the last 15 years plus.  I tried to get into his live new CD with Wake-E-Mon and I couldn't.  Too preachy, too simple, no good melodies.  What happened to the magic of Olias???  Ok, now I am phucked, I commited the unthinkable sin, I actually criticized JA.  God help me!   But yeah, you are right about Jon, "hit or miss" I actually love the YES - Fly From Here suite and the last track on the record. Nothing YES has done since Silent Wings of Freedom tops Fly From Here suite, IMHO... I guess I am now 2X damned by the JA worshipers.  Oh dear....

i really like the entire Fly From Here album.  i actually remembered and sung the melodies after hearing it.  benoit sounds fine too.  jon anderson's solo music is new age and not prog.  his last album, survival, has some catchy tunes on it.  he's more of a spiritual figure than a singer/musician these days me thinks.  chris alan and steve will probably die on stage.

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 12:51
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

i really like the entire Fly From Here album.  i actually remembered and sung the melodies after hearing it.  benoit sounds fine too.  jon anderson's solo music is new age and not prog.  his last album, survival, has some catchy tunes on it.  he's more of a spiritual figure than a singer/musician these days me thinks.  chris alan and steve will probably die on stage.

Hi zumacraig Smile

You even like that tune "the man you always wanted me to be"?  I heard that Chris Squire co-wrote that with Oprah Winfry...Confused  That one forces me to run & hide under my chair and ponder a vow of listening silence.

Yeah, I agree, JA sees himself as some sort of guru. Since I actually pay $$$ to these artists and buy their CDs/DVDs
I really don't wanna get preached at, plus preachers are all over the TV and will save your soul for free!
Oddly, JA says he has written a prog epic and will have that out soon.  Maybe he gets with YES to complete that piece???

Yes, I thought BD was great on Fly From Here, he is also great on Mystery's - One Among The Living.  I too find
myself singing the melodies of FFH in my head.  Good melodies are back in YES, I say that is a nice return to form.
Waaaay back Jon Anderson said YES was inspired by the harmonies of Vanilla Fudge.  I say harmonies are cool.Big smile

I AM very excited about Jon Davison joining YES for a spell.  I would pay DOUBLE price for a live DVD with Machine Messiah, Astral Traveller and FlyFromHere & Parallels, "Live From Down Under"

Put another shrimp on the barbie, baby!Approve

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 16:03
I don't think Yes keeps going for money alone---their music is timeless and there is nothing wrong with wanting to play it into their 80's if they can---jazz and classical artists do---some people in their 60's don't want to stop (sadly Bruford being the exception) ----and Yes want to be a WORKING band---recording every year and touring---they can't do it with Jon unfortunately as he is sorta semi-retired and wants to limit his work load---he works when he wants to or needs some money---Howe and Squire and White want to play and make music and stay alive not retire and stare at a wall.

Posted By: leonalvarado
Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 16:50
My latest post discusses to a point the musical chair situation with the band's singing position.

Enjoy
http://leonblogaswords.blogspot.com/2012/02/yes-drama-apparently-much-more-than.html" rel="nofollow - http://leonblogaswords.blogspot.com/2012/02/yes-drama-apparently-much-more-than.html

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 18:36

Hi zumacraig Smile

You even like that tune "the man you always wanted me to be"?  I heard that Chris Squire co-wrote that with Oprah Winfry...Confused  That one forces me to run & hide under my chair and ponder a vow of listening silence.

Yeah, I agree, JA sees himself as some sort of guru. Since I actually pay $$$ to these artists and buy their CDs/DVDs
I really don't wanna get preached at, plus preachers are all over the TV and will save your soul for free!
Oddly, JA says he has written a prog epic and will have that out soon.  Maybe he gets with YES to complete that piece???

Yes, I thought BD was great on Fly From Here, he is also great on Mystery's - One Among The Living.  I too find
myself singing the melodies of FFH in my head.  Good melodies are back in YES, I say that is a nice return to form.
Waaaay back Jon Anderson said YES was inspired by the harmonies of Vanilla Fudge.  I say harmonies are cool.Big smile

I AM very excited about Jon Davison joining YES for a spell.  I would pay DOUBLE price for a live DVD with Machine Messiah, Astral Traveller and FlyFromHere & Parallels, "Live From Down Under"

Put another shrimp on the barbie, baby!Approve

welcome dennis,

i'm pretty much a newbie here too.  you dream setlist for australia is mine too.  i have to say, seeing them with benoit was fun in that i got to hear tempus fugit.  i would just freak if they played machine messiah or parallels!  hell, how about Release Release!

btw, i love Man You Always Wanted Me To Be.  how can you not love Chris on lead vocal!  LOL

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 18:37
i hear ya.  i do hope we get a few more albums before the end.  without jon, it seems like chris and steve and alan for that matter, are freed up a bit.

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 19:56

thanks for the video.  he does sound awesome.  his voice is a true alto like anderson.  david is a tenor at best and had to stretch for the high notes.  btw, jon looks cool as well. and his name is JON!

You are welcome!  Damn, I still keep calling him "Davidson!"  DAVISON!

I enjoy many prog tribute bands, and always saw them as potential talent pools for replacements in the case of some incident (well, Benoit was in a trib band, wasn't he?  Two, if you count Yes!!)

My own nomination went to my chum Steve Carney of UK's "Fragile," he's got quite the Anderson vibe!   Fragile can play anything & have performed TFTO in small venues, quite amazing! 

I think it was Jon Anderson who foresaw Yes as being an entity that could keep going on through history, so Jon Davison's addition may be an evolutionary step.  I never saw Benoit David adding much to the band besides a quick fill-in for Jon Anderson....Lord only knows if he can write, and his stage presence is lacking!  

With time & age, other members of Yes are likely to retire, it is quite a mind game to play to think of potential replacements!  I'd like to see the band rediscover its vibe & keep evolving, and Jon Davison may be the guy to do that.  

As far as inviting Jon Anderson back in, he was pretty emphatic against that when I saw him play "The Voice of Yes" show in Illinois some months back.  I believe he sees his future as teamed with Rick Wakeman and perhaps Trevor Rabin.  Time will tell.  

We could do worse than to have two highly talented bands on the prowl for old and new fans!  I wish Jon Davison and Yes all the best.  Just don't get sick, JD!! 

Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 20:16
Originally posted by leonalvarado leonalvarado wrote:

My latest post discusses to a point the musical chair situation with the band's singing position.

Enjoy
http://leonblogaswords.blogspot.com/2012/02/yes-drama-apparently-much-more-than.html" rel="nofollow - http://leonblogaswords.blogspot.com/2012/02/yes-drama-apparently-much-more-than.html

Nicely done, thank you!  I commented to your blog as well.  You did well to point out that a weekend trib-band vocalist doesn't have the training or stamina to maintain the grind of an international tour, and the collapse of Benoit's windpipes was really to be expected. 

Jon Davison better buy some insurance!!  You don't want to catch a cold with THIS band!  Cheers!  

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: February 07 2012 at 21:43
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Was I the only one hoping for a Scott Stapp recruitment?

I was more hoping for the Nickelback guy

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 08:42
@Harold:

Major thanks for the YES update:  The big thing I read that Chris said:

"We will work together in the future...."

Sounds like great news to having Jon A. back!   JA is legend for his refusal to play any YES he simply doesn't like so its logical for current YES to promote FlyFrom Here, then when that runs its course, have another go with JA!

I just hope JA & YES can come up with something fresh and not recyle the same old tour like they are wont to do.

-------------

Posted By: GoldenGod2112
Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 08:46
“Yes, he has officially left Yes,”  LOL

-------------
The future's uncertain and the end is always near. - Jim Morrison

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 09:02

your dream setlist for australia is mine too.  i have to say, seeing them with benoit was fun in that i got to hear tempus fugit.  i would just freak if they played machine messiah or parallels!  hell, how about Release Release!

btw, i love Man You Always Wanted Me To Be.  how can you not love Chris on lead vocal!  LOL

Hey Dude,
Right on about Release, Release.  How bout Silent Wings??? And Dear Father & Then?  Yes, the wife & I saw YES
with BD twice and it was fabulous to see Machine Messiah & Tempus Fugit live.  JA simply refuses to sing that stuff.
I always support YES and go to as many shows as possible.  The last 2 tours with JA, YES played the same exact setlist.
That sucked, first time for me that it felt like YES were spent.  YES made that same mistake in 1978 & 1979, Same setlist. They broke up immediately after.  What were they thinking about repeating their setlist AGAIN in the21st century???

YES seemed to have real problems with JA, and as a paying fan I was sick of seeing the same songs over & over again.

I hope if JA ever returns YES will do a worthwhile setlist.  Some YES fans bitterly denigrate BD in YES, but at least
it was "fresh", not STALE like it had become with JA.  It breaks my heart to say that.

About Chris Squire's "The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be"...  Yes it is AWESOME to hear him sing, just not in
a Pat Boone style song.  Plus, my wife & I, neither of us have recovered from seeing an overweight Squire in those super tight spandex pants at both recent concerts, showing exactly what "religion" her was.   Yuck!!!!!!Wacko

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 11:06
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I don't see the problem or the joke.

Yeah, neither do I---this has been going on with Yes since the beginning of time---and someone recently pointed out that Benoit actually lasted longer than Banks, Moraz, Oliver,  that Russian dude  and some other members. 

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 12:19
If there was ever one member of Yes that was NOT expendable, Jon Anderson is it.  Drama was not bad, I admit, but it was far from their best album (I have not heard Fly From Here, so I won't comment on that).

I think the fact that they have to find tribute singers to take over for him pretty much says it all.

Still, I hope Benoit is okay and recovers quickly.

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 12:41
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

If there was ever one member of Yes that was NOT expendable, Jon Anderson is it.  Drama was not bad, I admit, but it was far from their best album (I have not heard Fly From Here, so I won't comment on that).

I think the fact that they have to find tribute singers to take over for him pretty much says it all.

Still, I hope Benoit is okay and recovers quickly.

This pretty much sums it all up well. Fly From Here is a good album, but no more.

-------------

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 14:44
RETIRE ALREADY! GO OUT WITH DIGNITY!!!!

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 16:19
Benoit David probably strained his voice trying to sing higher than his natural voice goes! Hope he recovers soon and we get another great Mystery album. IMO the last two Mystery albums were better than the last couple of Yes albums. Unless they decide to try and create something fresh they should quit.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 16:40

your dream setlist for australia is mine too.  i have to say, seeing them with benoit was fun in that i got to hear tempus fugit.  i would just freak if they played machine messiah or parallels!  hell, how about Release Release!

Hey Dude,
Right on about Release, Release.  How bout Silent Wings??? And Dear Father & Then?  Yes, the wife & I saw YES
with BD twice and it was fabulous to see Machine Messiah & Tempus Fugit live.  JA simply refuses to sing that stuff.
I always support YES and go to as many shows as possible.  The last 2 tours with JA, YES played the same exact setlist.
That sucked, first time for me that it felt like YES were spent.  YES made that same mistake in 1978 & 1979, Same setlist. They broke up immediately after.  What were they thinking about repeating their setlist AGAIN in the21st century???

YES seemed to have real problems with JA, and as a paying fan I was sick of seeing the same songs over & over again.

I hope if JA ever returns YES will do a worthwhile setlist.  Some YES fans bitterly denigrate BD in YES, but at least
it was "fresh", not STALE like it had become with JA.  It breaks my heart to say that.

About Chris Squire's "The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be"...  Yes it is AWESOME to hear him sing, just not in
a Pat Boone style song.  Plus, my wife & I, neither of us have recovered from seeing an overweight Squire in those super tight spandex pants at both recent concerts, showing exactly what "religion" her was.   Yuck!!!!!!Wacko

squire is hilarious in his outfits. part of the fun i guess.  i'd also add Future Times to the setlist.  great tune.  

my hunch is that we might see a classic line up pull together an album that is, hopefully, better than mediocre.  then maybe a run of shows in london and new york.  then they will fade away with yes and all the other projects that no one cares about...except maybe steve howe solo albums...i like many of those

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 16:43
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Benoit David probably strained his voice trying to sing higher than his natural voice goes! Hope he recovers soon and we get another great Mystery album. IMO the last two Mystery albums were better than the last couple of Yes albums. Unless they decide to try and create something fresh they should quit.

yeah, new mystery would be cool.  i don't get why these dudes don't use octave pedals on their voice.  i know joe perry from def leopard uses one and it sounds great.  at leas some pitch correction.  the harmonies were pretty rough with Yes last summer.  Geddy lee should use one too,

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 21:17

yeah, new mystery would be cool.  i don't get why these dudes don't use octave pedals on their voice.  i know joe perry from def leopard uses one and it sounds great.  at leas some pitch correction.  the harmonies were pretty rough with Yes last summer.  Geddy lee should use one too,

I suggested Autotune on PA and was soundly thrashed!   I was interested in it more for its aural sound effects vs. pitch correction. 

My suggestion is to only go where nature allows you to go.  Some vocal processing is amazing, and as a guy who's been in the studio, you'd be amazed at what many of our heroes would sound like singing without compression & a touch of delay!  

If bands can't do the harmonies like the old days, they need to either go much younger, bring on a few backup singers, or hire a woman as a replacement lead vocalist (Annie Haslam would have been an amazing Yes vocalist!).  

Recycling tribute band vocalists seems to be a losing strategy for rock bands, they eventually give out 'cause they are not full-time singers with strong pipes.   

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 21:33
My interest has been "how many members can be swapped out before the band is no longer the same band?" 

Robert Fripp says it's "all but me."  Chris Squire is in the same boat, but for different reasons.

But suppose Jon Davison replaced Benoit David, and Fred Schendel had to replace Geoff Downes, and Steve Babb replaced Chris Squire, and Alan Shikoh replaced Steve Howe, and Alan White continued drumming: Are they still Yes?

To put it another way, when does Anakin Skywalker stop being Anakin Skywalker?

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 21:56
  I actually thought of the amount of original members needed to keep the band the same band--the answer in a 5 piece group is 3. Smile    In Yes' case where there is a Steve Howe there is the possibility of Yes.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 05:09

I actually thought of the amount of original members needed to keep the band the same band--the answer in a 5 piece group is 3. Smile    In Yes' case where there is a Steve Howe there is the possibility of Yes.

Steve Howe isn't an "original" member.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 05:49
Well if David is out what's stopping Jon Anderson from resettling in?

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 05:58
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Well if David is out what's stopping Jon Anderson from resettling in?

Himself. he doesn't want too.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 08:30
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Steve Howe isn't an "original" member.

In my mind he is---ha ha---(or put Banks in if it want I always wanted to hear him play CTTE. )

Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 09:58

squire is hilarious in his outfits. part of the fun i guess.  i'd also add Future Times to the setlist.  great tune.  

my hunch is that we might see a classic line up pull together an album that is, hopefully, better than mediocre.  then maybe a run of shows in london and new york.  then they will fade away with yes and all the other projects that no one cares about...except maybe steve howe solo albums...i like many of those

Dude, if we keep meeting up up like this people will start to talk...Wink
Serioulsy, I could not let your "Future Times" remark stand alone...

Future Times Rocks!!!!  Alan White playing a millitary snare???  That takes stones, man!  What coolness!  God I miss those old "North Tom Toms" of Alan's.Approve

Tormato was recorded so thin & harsh, but the actual songs, Future Times/Rejoice & Release Release & Silent Wings
are as good as any music I have heard.ClapClapClap

I do think you are right and that Jon will play with Alan, Steve & Chris once more.  It would be nice for Wake-E-Mon to join as well. Though I would defend YES to the death in a musical discussion, they have not done anything close to even the Tormato stuff you and I have been mentioning.  All JA  - YES has been some good stuff some bad, since the SLO reunion in 1996, so the odds of JA -YES delivering what we all want are slim.  Though I always keep the faith!Smile

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 10:06

Hi Wanorak,

Allow me to step in here and demand all of your Lupins(they are brightly coloured flowers in case you didn't know)
Oops.. sorry, old habits die hard...

My point of interjecting is:

I think Mystery - One Among The Living is fantastic!!!   A little too much reverb on the overall mix but it cranks up
on the stereo quite nicely, thank you.  Benoit's voice is very expressive on that record. I hope Mystery can follow that up . Plus, who doesn't like Canadians who can write and play the guitar???Thumbs Up

Cheers!

DM

-------------

Posted By: raeloneq
Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 10:40
This is perfect chance for Chris Squire to recruit a awesome guitar player and make a side project called Cinema or something. Oh wait......

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 13:45
Jon Davison... omg, he's actually very similar to David, but even more cheesy. First I heard GH I thought David sings there... Nobody from them comes close to charismatic voice and typical contoure of Anderson voice, let alone his personality. Trevor Horn is different from Anderson, but he has these attributes - personality and charisma. These guys don't have. Glass Hammer is type of horrible Yes wannabe, at least their two last albums. They IMO totally lack sense for a melody, structure, compositional or lyrical talent. Random ideas, nothing memorable. Yes are alredy caricatures of themselves, but still pushing it further. Hoping Anderson-Rabin-Wakeman project will come out one day, to save the grace of Yes family.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 14:04
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

Jon Davison... omg, he's actually very similar to David, but even more cheesy. First I heard GH I thought David sings there... Nobody from them comes close to charismatic voice and typical contoure of Anderson voice, let alone his personality. Trevor Horn is different from Anderson, but he has these attributes - personality and charisma. These guys don't have. Glass Hammer is type of horrible Yes wannabe, at least their two last albums. They IMO totally lack sense for a melody, structure, compositional or lyrical talent. Random ideas, nothing memorable. Yes are alredy caricatures of themselves, but still pushing it further. Hoping Anderson-Rabin-Wakeman project will come out one day, to save the grace of Yes family.
Hi stewe, Big smile

Are you really from the Czech Republic?  My grandparents came from there...

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 14:51
glass hammer is great for those who like retro.  as for a new yes album, it'll be hard to top FFH.  i really liked it and think it'll probably be their swan song...i hate to say it.

Date Posted: February 09 2012 at 14:53

Hi stewe, Big smile

Yes, beautiful country!) Do you know any Czech (Czech-slovakian) prog then?) 

-------------

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: February 10 2012 at 09:25
Frankly, Glass Hammer makes a far better Yes than current Yes does.  They are not my favorite band, but they make decent music.

If Yes wanted to retire with dignity, they would have had to do it 10 years ago.  Now, it's far far too late for that.

Date Posted: February 10 2012 at 10:01
yeah, that tour in 02 when Wakeman came back was great.  got to see Revealing Science of God before they dropped it.  that could've been the end.  however, the tried to do the 35 year anniversary thing and ended up having to play arenas that were half full and part of them drapped off.  too bad.

Date Posted: February 10 2012 at 15:44

Do you know any Czech (Czech-slovakian) prog then?) 

I have a big Prague guide book.  If I ever win the lottery I will MOVE there!  I do want to go
see it one day, at least.  Perhaps Europe's most beautiful city, I say.

No, I have not heard any Czech Prog bands (I enjoyed Poland's Quidam, so I don't need music
sung in English...)

Can you suggest any? (no screamers please, I am not a big metal guy.)

Cheers!

DM

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2012 at 18:08

I have a big Prague guide book.  If I ever win the lottery I will MOVE there!  I do want to go
see it one day, at least.  Perhaps Europe's most beautiful city, I say.

No, I have not heard any Czech Prog bands (I enjoyed Poland's Quidam, so I don't need music
sung in English...)

Can you suggest any? (no screamers please, I am not a big metal guy.)

Cheers!

DM

Sure! I would definitely suggest or rather strongly recommend two bands, both 70s classic prog albums,

Flamengo - Kure v hodinkach
Fermata - Huascaran

First band is quite in style of first KC (saxes, flute), Yes, Jethro Tull or early Uriah Heep (wonderful vocal stylings). Musicianship and compositions are that good. But they are not copycat by any means, album has  its unique atmosphere, contains some weird instruments, and beautiful Czech poetry.:)
Second band is Slovakian one, it represents top notch prog/fusion, sort of Mahavisnu Orchestra class, but with somehow distinguishing, slavic flavor. Very emotional, concept, instrumental album.

-------------

Posted By: Quirky Turkey
Date Posted: February 10 2012 at 23:42
Im in Australia and have been looking forward to the arrival of Yes in April. After hearing the news about the new singer I listened to Glass Hammer, and now I'm even more excited. Jon's better that Benoit.

Date Posted: February 14 2012 at 13:09
Originally posted by Quirky Turkey Quirky Turkey wrote:

Im in Australia and have been looking forward to the arrival of Yes in April. After hearing the news about the new singer I listened to Glass Hammer, and now I'm even more excited. Jon's better that Benoit.

I'm in complete agreement, M8!  

I'm a street-team member for Glass Hammer, this was just posted to their Facebook page:

http://flightoftheskypilot.blogspot.com/2012/02/jon-davison-glass-hammer-yes.html" rel="nofollow - http://flightoftheskypilot.blogspot.com/2012/02/jon-davison-glass-hammer-yes.html

(here's an extract)

Jon Davison, Glass Hammer & Yes

There was much debate last year among the cognoscenti of prog about Benoit David's role as the singer with Yes, particularly after the release of the much-awaited album, 'Fly From Here'.  David had been a touring member of the band for a few years, but this was his first recording with them, and most people thought that he had done a creditable job, though Jon Anderson will always be regarded by the purists as the only 'true' singer with Yes.

On tour with the rest of the new line-up of the band last year he handled the 'classic' material well, and showed that his years as a 'Yes tribute' vocalist had not been wasted. But then news came that the rigours of touring, and of singing consistently in the ranges that Yes's music calls for, had taken their toll. The last few dates of the European leg of the tour were called off, and subsequently it was announced that Benoit had left the band.

Date Posted: February 14 2012 at 13:30
Nice little blog, although I personally think he is being a little bit polite when he describes the live performance of David as "creditable".

I need to revisit Glass Hammer's work, but I have to say that I am becoming extremely tired of all of these comings & goings in Yes. It's more like Dallas & Dynasty than a classic prog band, if truth be told.

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2012 at 13:40

Nice little blog, although I personally think he is being a little bit polite when he describes the live performance of David as "creditable".

I need to revisit Glass Hammer's work, but I have to say that I am becoming extremely tired of all of these comings & goings in Yes. It's more like Dallas & Dynasty than a classic prog band, if truth be told.

Exactly!!  At this point, the founders should plan for the future and cultivate understudies, as great artists in opera and classical music used to do.  

They should treat Yes as an orchestra perhaps, I don't think any of the founders of the London Philharmonic are still in their original chairs!  

Squire, Howe, Anderson, White and Wakeman (assuming they could agree on anything) could select vocalists and instrumentalists, compose music, and not have to go through the drudgery of touring.  If they did it correctly, it would be spectacular!  Look how well Bob Fripp did with the King Crimson franchise, although he did also tour with the band.  

I'd LOVE to hear Yes with female vocals!  Annie Haslam's version of "Turn of the Century" with Steve Howe was sublime, I'd like more!  An Alto would not suffer the vocal strain that a counter-tenor would during all the touring & recording.  

If Yes don't watch it, they will rapidly slip into complete irrelevance and ridicule (close to that now, actually).   Cheers, my friend!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 14 2012 at 19:10
Indeed, Yes should start looking for some more permanent "new blood", if any of them has ever taken seriously that thing about the "Yes Franchise". If every new member that enters the band leaves after one or two members, none of them will be consolidated within the band by the time the "classic" members are gone. Besides, they need to get people capable of creating new music up to the standards of the 70's classics. I guess Trevor Rabin has been the closest to fulfill this "requirements" I've just made up (he really became a driving force in the writing of the music, and even though it was not "prog masterpiece", it may be said that he at least created some "pop masterpieces with prog elements").

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 10:59
From Benoit David :-

Dear YES fans,
As you all know, the final three shows of last year's European tour
were cancelled due to my ill health. On my return to Canada, I was advised
to cease touring, for the foreseeable future, in order to avoid further
damage to my voice. Following this extremely disappointing diagnosis, I had no
alternative but to inform my fellow band members that I was unable to
confirm my availability for, at least, the forthcoming concerts in New
Zealand, Australia and Japan.
Although there was no alternative, I did so with a heavy heart as I
felt that I was letting everyone down especially those who have supported me since
I had the privilege of becoming the band's vocalist in 2008. The band
members were all very understanding and asked if I would mind being
replaced for the April shows - I immediately agreed that this would be
the best way forward and gave them my blessing. I was then pleased to
learn that Jon Davison would be my replacement as he is an accomplished
musician with a fine voice.
I subsequently learnt, from a band member's interview, that I had
officially left Yes and that my departure was permanent.
As this is the
situation, everyone should know that I will be eternally grateful for the
opportunity I was given and very proud to have contributed to more than 200 concerts
and to the 'Fly From Here' and 'In The Present Live From Lyon' albums. I
would also like to express my appreciation for the support I was given by
each member of the band, the fantastic crew, the management and everyone
else involved during my time as vocalist in the band. Finally, to the fans
who have applauded my efforts and to those I have had the pleasure of
meeting -
many thanks, my best wishes and please continue with your support of
one of the world's greatest bands - YES.
Although I need to take it easy for a while, I fully intend to
continue with my music career. In late summer of 2011, I added vocals to Mystery's
forthcoming album 'The World Is A Game' - which is at the final stages
of mixing and will be available in the near future. This is my third
collaboration with Michel St-Pere, and Mystery, following 2007's 'Beneath the Veil
of Winter's Face' and 2010's 'One Among The Living'.
So I guess I will, hopefully, see you somewhere down the road…

Blessings,
Benoit David
17th February 2012

Classy real classy

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 11:08
Benoit has always been a class act, it's a shame that his time with Yes ended in such a way. 

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 12:54
Does Yes have a communication problem?  Ermm

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 13:06
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

One would certainly think so, yes Stern Smile

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 13:07
One need only look at the bands name to find out.

Date Posted: February 18 2012 at 14:20

Sure! I would definitely suggest or rather strongly recommend two bands, both 70s classic prog albums,

Flamengo - Kure v hodinkach
Fermata - Huascaran

Smile

Thanks, I will check those two out.

Cheers!

DM

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 13:46
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Certainly Squire seems to. I despair of him.

That is, though, a nicely considered piece by David, which shows him in a very positive light.

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 13:52

That is, though, a nicely considered piece by David, which shows him in a very positive light.

Sounds like a top bloke, indeed.

Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 15:36

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Certainly Squire seems to. I despair of him.

David takes it all very well, yes. Good man Clap

Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 18:40
I'm beginning to think the one person who should leave Yes is Squire himself. What's the point of getting new recruits if they won't last long enough to make any worthy contributions?

Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 19:12
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm beginning to think the one person who should leave Yes is Squire himself. What's the point of getting new recruits if they won't last long enough to make any worthy contributions?

They did Yes without Squire---that was ABWH---I think finding a singer is really hard---but Squire has been guilty in the past of bringing second rate musicians into the fold (Sherwood) and it has been a disaster ---but so has Anderson--(Oliver and the Russian dude)-You need really amazing musicians in the group to really shine---that's Yes' key to success---But a singer will always be tough---that has always been the case in any group.

Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 19:52

They did Yes without Squire---that was ABWH---I think finding a singer is really hard---but Squire has been guilty in the past of bringing second rate musicians into the fold (Sherwood) and it has been a disaster ---but so has Anderson--(Oliver and the Russian dude)-You need really amazing musicians in the group to really shine---that's Yes' key to success---But a singer will always be tough---that has always been the case in any group.

No way is Sherwood or Khoroshev second rate.  The Ladder is incredible.  I saw Yes' Masterworks Tour with the latter, and he was impressive.  Sure Open Your Eyes was bad, but Sherwood is by no means second rate (check out The Unknown by Conspiracy).

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 19:58
I guess the best "replacements" the band has been able to get have been Patrick Moraz, and even Trevor Rabin (even though Howe was better in my book, and surely just about everyone in the forum), Rabin was indeed a creative force in the band (for better or worse), and gave them new fuel. Well, the best replacements if we don' consider Howe and Wakeman as replacements themselves (which, as a matter of fact, they were).

Still, Yes indeed needs some first class new musician/composer into the band... a future prog legen. Anything less than that won't get Yes back to their legendary status.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting (and hoping) for the new project between Anderson, Wakeman, Rabin. I'm hoping this could give us something worthy of Yes too (it would be great if Wakeman would take and be given room to compose himself... for I really love many of his prog albums... and he's done a few very enjoyable ones last decade - "Out There" was an easy 5 star for me). And, somehow I feel Wakeman and Rabin may be able to work very well together... if Rabin comits himself to prog instead of pop.

Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 20:18
I've heard it all in IMO Sherwood is very second rate ---I mean he was given the keys to the kingdom and he came up with Open your eyes--- and was in to a few songs on the Ladder--but it is another album I rarely listen to even though it has some good Howe leads---but I'm a listener who rarely revisits any of the Rabin period although I have all of it---so to each their own---Yes for me is best when it has really exceptional talent---and no dead weight--but I am probably in the minority on this.

Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 20:32

I've heard it all in IMO Sherwood is very second rate ---I mean he was given the keys to the kingdom and he came up with Open your eyes--- and was in to a few songs on the Ladder--but it is another album I rarely listen to even though it has some good Howe leads---but I'm a listener who rarely revisits any of the Rabin period although I have all of it---so to each their own---Yes for me is best when it has really exceptional talent---and no dead weight--but I am probably in the minority on this.

I think what your earlier post is ignoring is context.  Yes could have come up with an album in the mid-90s and it still would have been terrible.  Lots of "classic" bands were doing awful things in the 80s and 90s.  Sherwood was incidental.  He's a very good musician and vocalist.

-------------

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 05:53

No way is Sherwood or Khoroshev second rate.  The Ladder is incredible.  I saw Yes' Masterworks Tour with the latter, and he was impressive.  Sure Open Your Eyes was bad, but Sherwood is by no means second rate (check out The Unknown by Conspiracy).

Completely agreed !

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:36

I think what your earlier post is ignoring is context.  Yes could have come up with an album in the mid-90s and it still would have been terrible.  Lots of "classic" bands were doing awful things in the 80s and 90s.  Sherwood was incidental.  He's a very good musician and vocalist.

Hi  Epignosis, Smile

You came down pretty hard on 2Steves, who I (as a YES fan who has seen every tour since 1977) condsider is absolutely spot on in his assessment of Billy. S.  Billy S. is nowhere near the class of musicians that YES have had over the years.Can Billy S. play an instrument?, Sure, just like most people in this forum. Yes, I have heard his records.  They are over processed and what he plays is a rip off from YES past and prog in general.  As far as him in YES, the little fart sounds he makes with his guitar on stage actually ruined the YES classics. If you recall, in the Dark Days of Billy-YES, YES sold a recording of an LA Universal Amphitheatre Show.  Billy S. did a guitar solo during Wurm.  It was pathetic beyond belief and was an utter embarassment. Please track that down, listen to it, and then tell us how great a musician Billy S. is.

Have you seen Chris Squires' Fish Out Of Water DVD?  Billy S. ruins Hold Out You Hand with his little fart noises
on the guitar. THANK GOD the keyboard player in that had the good sense to stay true to the song and play the organ
work straight, to save that song.

Second, your position that Billy S. was "incidental" and that YES would have made a bad album in the 80s-90s because that was what bands did.  That is ridiculous.  Yes does what Yes does, good or bad.  Blaming YES for the time period and holding Billy S. blameless for his disater that was Open Your Eyes, just beacuse what other artists were doing, is crazy talk.

2Steves made a great point, in the context of the world class musicians of YES past:
Steve Howe
Rick Wakman
Bill Bruford
Alan White
Pat Moraz...
Peter Banks (very tasty guitar work on the 1st 2 YES records)
...can't forget Jon Anderson Wink...

Chris Squire has made some dubious choices:

Billy S.  - WTF???
The Buggles?  - What? Were the Bee Gees not available?
Trevor(I wanna be a Rock Star) Rabin

2 different classes of musicians.

Oh man, this is painful because now I am remembering what rubbish Billy's Open Your Eyes was, over processed, over tracked, no substance in writing or composition.  Oy Vey!

@2Steves:  Why did you start this whole mess????Wink

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:52
^ I think you need to realise that Open Your Eyes was originally a Squire & Sherwood project, which morphed into a Yes one once they had all stopped arguing about it.

Therefore, Robert (Epignosis) is, actually, rather accurate in his description of this record. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 09:14

^ I think you need to realise that Open Your Eyes was originally a Squire & Sherwood project, which morphed into a Yes one once they had all stopped arguing about it.

Therefore, Robert (Epignosis) is, actually, rather accurate in his description of this record. 

Chico de Miko,Smile

Funny runing into you here.  We never settled our business in the Jeff Beck - Best Guitarist thread.Wink

First, I am painfully aware that Open Your Eyes started as a Squire - Sherwood project.  This point actually
goes to twosteves point that Squire's favorite song is "Send In The Clowns" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5os4NFeKFFs" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5os4NFeKFFs   or actually "Bring in a Clown (Into Yes)".  Which he did with Billy.   So a better thing to be discussing
is what crack Squire was smoking when he thought that bringing his little misadventure w/Billy into YES was actually a good idea.

Regardless of the genesis of OYE, it was indeed rubbish (just my opinion obviously) but I do think objectively, it will forever live as the worst YES album ever. Since Billy produced it and cowrote it with Squire, logic demands he be held accountable. Is Billy a nice lad to drink a pint with and have a fanboy conversation about YES?, I am sure that is the case. Has his influence over Squire & YES created the biggest debacle of an album, guilty or over-processing, over-tracking, over-sound effected and completely devoid of any heart or soul?.  Yes, guilty as charged. ( I do love playing Judge, Jury AND Executioner!Wink)

Hmm, this would be a great poll.  Is OYE the worst YES ablum ever?  Naw...I don't think we need to waste time to find
out that obvious point.

Now: if you insist on arguing this point with me, I will insist on inviting you over for a nice wheat beer and we can play the latest Jeff Beck CD while we put this issue to bed.

Also. we seem to be fighting a proxy war between 2steves @ Epignosis. Not my intention, as I am sure while twosteves is a fine young yad, I do try to keep my distance from people who:

1. Have The Yankee Scooter "Phil Rizzuto" pictures plastered all around their homes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Rizzuto" rel="nofollow - ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Rizzuto
2. Proudly wear "I Voted for Ed Koch For Mayor" badges on their lapels to all major social occasions 
(Hey twosteves,Wink  Wasssup baby???

So Laz, you just made this OYE thing  just between you and me . This time its personal!

LOL   Big smile  Tongue 

Do you think an ex-lab Monkey, turned organ-grinder Monkey really has a chance against the 19th century's most crafty
& handsome bandit?

Kindest Regards,

DennisMoore

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 09:54
Wow DennisMoore I am speechless---Wink

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 10:08

Wow DennisMoore I am speechless---Wink

C'mon man!  Is that all you can say?Confused

I spill my guts out here and all I get from you is a one-liner? Cry

Actually I was a bit worried, when I was writing silly things about you (as a New Yorker) that you would
not even know who Phil Rizzuto or Ed Koch were, and it would be I who would look silly (sillier?)

For those outside the NYC area:

Phil Rizzuto: a very old semi-good NY Yankee from waaaaaay back who terrorized the entire NYC region,
with his blatant overly-home team biased rantings on Yankee TV broadcasts for decades.

Ed Koch: Perhaps one of NYC's finest & beloved & controversial Mayors.

OK... 

As I have done time in New Jersey, this would now be the time to say something pithy about us folks
on the good side of the Hudson. Wink

Where did Laz & Epignosis go?  I think we scared them away.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 17:05

Where did Laz & Epignosis go?  I think we scared them away.

I didn't realize anyone was this opinionated about it, but if you are...

Hi  Epignosis, Smile

You came down pretty hard on 2Steves, who I (as a YES fan who has seen every tour since 1977) condsider is absolutely spot on in his assessment of Billy. S. 

I didn't come down pretty hard on him; you disagree with me and agree with him.

Billy S. is nowhere near the class of musicians that YES have had over the years.Can Billy S. play an instrument?, Sure, just like most people in this forum. Yes, I have heard his records.  They are over processed and what he plays is a rip off from YES past and prog in general. 

For every Billy Sherwood project that is "over processed," I can show you twelve dozen others from this same time period that are "over processed."

As far as him in YES, the little fart sounds he makes with his guitar on stage actually ruined the YES classics. If you recall, in the Dark Days of Billy-YES, YES sold a recording of an LA Universal Amphitheatre Show.  Billy S. did a guitar solo during Wurm.  It was pathetic beyond belief and was an utter embarassment. Please track that down, listen to it, and then tell us how great a musician Billy S. is.

I think one of Yes's best DVDs is The House of Blues

If you wish to judge a musician based on one performance, then I can safely say that any musician who has toured is garbage.  I've seen all good people; I've seen some terrible performances from those good people too.  Wink

Have you seen Chris Squires' Fish Out Of Water DVD?  Billy S. ruins Hold Out You Hand with his little fart noises
on the guitar. THANK GOD the keyboard player in that had the good sense to stay true to the song and play the organ
work straight, to save that song.

Yes I have.  I think it's better than the original.

Second, your position that Billy S. was "incidental" and that YES would have made a bad album in the 80s-90s because that was what bands did.  That is ridiculous.  Yes does what Yes does, good or bad.  Blaming YES for the time period and holding Billy S. blameless for his disater that was Open Your Eyes, just beacuse what other artists were doing, is crazy talk.

Yes put out lousy albums around this time without Sherwood's help.  Thank goodness Sherwood wasn't on Union; you might be blaming him for that monstrosity.

And after all, Drama is far superior to TormatoWink

2Steves made a great point, in the context of the world class musicians of YES past:
Steve Howe
Rick Wakman
Bill Bruford
Alan White
Pat Moraz...
Peter Banks (very tasty guitar work on the 1st 2 YES records)
...can't forget Jon Anderson Wink...

Chris Squire has made some dubious choices:

Billy S.  - WTF???
The Buggles?  - What? Were the Bee Gees not available?
Trevor(I wanna be a Rock Star) Rabin

2 different classes of musicians.

Oh man, this is painful because now I am remembering what rubbish Billy's Open Your Eyes was, over processed, over tracked, no substance in writing or composition.  Oy Vey!

@2Steves:  Why did you start this whole mess????Wink

Opinions are like armpits: Everyone has some and some of them stink.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 17:17
I really like Open Your Eyes and T. Rabin is an excellent musician

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk