Print Page | Close Window

Progressive Folk Metal, anyone?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85048
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 17:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Progressive Folk Metal, anyone?
Posted By: Lima96
Subject: Progressive Folk Metal, anyone?
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 02:34
Wherever you browse on the web, you can find yourself with incredibly accurate descriptions, styles and classifications for a metal band (ie: post-black-avant-symphonic-depressive-suicidal-death metal, just to describe one band).

This can apply to progressive rock, as the bunch of links below the banner of the site can show, but anyway, the 'three prog metal subgenres' (or four, including lots of heavy prog bands) included in PA have a vast array of bands, all of them without another minor classification.

So, what I'm looking for are recommendations of metal and/or heavy rock bands highly rooted in folk sound.

Things I've already listened to: Orphaned Land, Myrath, Negura Bunget, Agalloch, some latin american bands not listened in PA (Arraigo, Raza Truncka, Temblor), some Secret Chiefs 3 and Estradasphere, among the ones I can remember.

Thanks in advance!

Replies:
Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 12:12
Alamaailman Vasarat

Posted By: Lizzy
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 14:34
Two more Romanian bands along side Negură Bunget: Bucium and Bucovina.

-------------
Property of Queen Productions...

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 14:49
Solefald's recent three albums have some moderate folk influence, and Primordial has a good degree of Irish folk influence. 

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 15:06
Ulver's Bergtätt comes to mind.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 15:07

I like Cruachan. Especially their Folk-Lore album. I suggested them for PA a while ago, but sadly they were rejected.

Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 15:15
Maybe Finntroll

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - JazzMusicArchives.

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 15:17
Tyr - Power Metal based on the norse folk tradition
Moonsorrow - Alot like Agalloch, althogh slightly folkyer and doomyer

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 15:36
Also Turisas

Posted By: Lima96
Date Posted: February 19 2012 at 23:54
Whoa, thank you all for the recommendations!
Anything else is still welcome!

Posted By: tilsonvic1
Date Posted: November 07 2013 at 14:55
Just ran across a band named Blood & Time. They are currently 2 members of the band Neurosis. Been listening to their self-titled Ep. It's definately worth a listen. Hope this helps on your quest for new music.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 07 2013 at 14:56
What about Enslaved?  They began as black metal then introduced Viking folk and prog influences Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: November 07 2013 at 15:51
Hammers of Misfortune are exactly what you need: They just hit the right balance between melancholic folky prog rock and NWoBHM-style heavy metal, with Jethro Tull and Thin Lizzy as clear influences.The very disparate inspirations come together exceptionally well, and despite their throwback nature they're quite inventive songwriters.

The project's not on PA, but check out Aarni: One-man doom metal band inspired by both Finnish folk music and progressive rock, though the main man's odd sense of humour might take some time getting used to. Solstice's New Dark Age is also worth a listen: It's epic heavy/doom with some fantastically well-used British folk influence and long intricate songs. If I remember correctly they're also an influence on Primordial whose recommendation I definitely second.

In the black metal department check out Lugubrum (the kind of BM that Captain Beefheart could have played if he was a Flemish separatist), Janvs (folky RPI-influenced BM with lyrics about ancient Roman mysticism) and early Sigh. (first three albums and Ghastly Funeral Theatre EP show some well-utilised inspiration from traditional Japanese music) It's pretty odd how the vast majority of folk metal is of the black metal variety, since that's one of the metal subgenres furthest away from "normal music".

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: November 07 2013 at 20:24
Lyriel's 'Autumntales' album really toes the line between celtic & medieval folk and metal...not too progressive in it's compositions, but I've rarely heard a metal album with such blatant folk characteristics to the point where it sounds like a unique experiment. Their more recent stuff sort of veers away from that charm.

Also, despite not currently part of the archives, check out Evenoire's fantastic 'Vitriol' album, which is gothic metal with a slew of folk influences and definite prog elements. The female singer also plays the abundant flute melodies.

Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: November 08 2013 at 03:15
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

I like Cruachan. Especially their Folk-Lore album. I suggested them for PA a while ago, but sadly they were rejected.

UPDATE: Cruachan have now been added to Prog related, so I bump my recommendation.  

Date Posted: November 08 2013 at 04:19
On the folk black metal front I can also recommend Aeturnus (Norway), Hades (Norway too), later Kawir (Greece) and Skyforger (Latvia). If you dig Enslaved, then Blut Aus Nord's Memoria Vetusta might be worth a listen as well. Ultima Thulée has a similar vibe, but it's nowhere as progressive. (being from Normandy they get the whole Viking thing more right than a French band usually would)

Also, they're not terribly complex and don't use flutes but Pagan Altar kind of sound like Jethro Tull would if Tony Iommi had stayed there. Great band anyway, their first album has a more convincing occult atmosphere than most black metal artists could aspire to.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: November 08 2013 at 07:55
Elvenking are definitely folky. Not that proggy, but pretty cool.
Wait... why are we responding to a year-old thread again?

Date Posted: November 08 2013 at 15:42
Heh, I didn't notice that until after I had posted. Even then, I think it'd be a good way to promote some bands I think deserve more exposure or at least fit the description given the opening post.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 08 2013 at 19:42
Wouldn't Rhapsody (of Fire) fit that description?

Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 04:07
I'm no fan of RoF, but last time I checked they were more influenced by classical music than folk.

-------------

Posted By: Elm
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 05:00
Crooked Fiddle Band
Barons of Tang

Posted By: Elm
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 05:02
Also I second the Alamaailman Vasarat comment. That band is madness.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: November 10 2013 at 05:42
Borknager, early Dimmu Borgir

Bathory, and early Opeth

-------------

Posted By: Woebegone
Date Posted: November 11 2013 at 15:47

May I suggest: 

https://soundcloud.com/woebegonespacefolk

This is my band.. And I am curious to hear if you think this is prog-related?
We like labeling our music as "space folk".. But its not really covering everything we do..

The band is brand new. And called Woebegone.

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: November 11 2013 at 16:15
I think the only band I've heard of that fits the description of folk metal is Korpiklani(sp) but I never really heard them just heard OF them. I never thought of Alamaailman Vasarat as folk metal. That's news to me. 

Posted By: Woebegone
Date Posted: November 13 2013 at 12:42
Lumsk used to play folk metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCFfuq_1iJA
And even a little prog at times.. especially on their last album. 
Here is a mellow tune..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXr2iAQTMo0

Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: November 16 2013 at 20:57
Moonsorrow is (on at least one album) very progressive and (on all albums) very folky black metal.  You can check out Moonsorrow's page on ProgArchives and read about their albums. I highly enjoy the overall aesthetics, not too abrasive and extreme, and not too "cold".  Despite the band name, it's music suitable for listening at any time, day/night/summer/winter you name it. 

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3399

One Moonsorrow album is particulary progressive, just look at the epic track lengths:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=17430

Studio Album, released in 2005

Songs / Tracks Listing

1. Karhunkynsi (14:00)
2. Haaska (14:42)
3. Pimeä (14:08)
4. Jotunheim (19:28)
5. Kaiku (8:10)

Clap

Total playing time 70:39

(on my computer it was more like 72 minutes, but much of the length is quiet and almost "silent" ambient folk passages, so it's not really that long.)

-------------

Posted By: playaa
Date Posted: December 10 2013 at 11:06

Auringon Hauta - Muinaisia muisteloita, noita syntyjä syviä

Anubi - Kai pilnaties akis užmerks mirtis

Höyry-Kone - Huono Parturi

...those are all total gems

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: December 10 2013 at 20:28
Mago de Oz from Spain

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 23:58
Folk Power Metal!

Elvenking:

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: December 30 2013 at 01:44
Nope!

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: January 01 2014 at 21:15
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Mago de Oz from Spain

Thumbs Up

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Schnabeltier24
Date Posted: January 05 2014 at 10:09
All the Moonsorrow albums deserve a listening, and particularly Voimasta Ja Kuniasta (not sure about the orthographe)

Check out Windir too, a great band, although not really prog...

Date Posted: January 05 2014 at 12:29
Lugubrum are also worth a mention, they're not on PA but they're possibly the world's only Captain Beefheart-influenced black metal group. The band's lyrics and general concept is strongly rooted in Flemish regional folklore and cultural identity.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk