URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85058
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 09:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog used in the classroom!
Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Subject: Prog used in the classroom!
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 00:33
Yes friends if you had have been in my High school class today 
that I taught today for Music you may have enjoyed it more than usual. I introduced them to prog! Well, it was kind of a brutal expose of awesome rock spectacles. 

The lesson went like this:

The class were given worksheets with this info:

Rate the performance
rate the light show
rate the special effects
did you like the clip? why?
did you dislike the clip? why?
what did you learn about live performance with the clip?

etc etc etc

anyway these are the clips I used

DVD clips used: in music lesson 20th Feb 2012

A - Genesis - Live In Rome

2 songs - In the Cage and Cinema Show (on one clip)(played only 10 minutes)

Amazing light show and music!

B - Pink Floyd – Pulse

Played 2 songs - One of these days, (all) Incredible lights!

and Comfortably Numb (played from 3:40 – onto end - just the last 6 minutes of this) Brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e46Po-DHHbo" rel="nofollow - .com/watch?v=e46Po-DHHbo

C – Rush - Live in Rio (40,000 screaming fans!)

Working Man (all) amazing lead guitar form Lifeson!

Limelight – (all)

Live Snakes and Arrows (amazing song telling fans the stage is not all its cracked up to be)

during their Snakes & Arrows Tour. Recorded live at the Ahoy Arena in Rotterdam, Netherlands
(Holland) on October 16/17, 2007... with the use of 21 high definition cameras. Complete with
dinosaurs, barbie dolls, and roast rotisserie chicken

at end of lesson:

Pink

Bohemian Rhapsody – Australia tour – amazing cover! PROG!

and

Get the Party started – pandemonium on stage!

Cool lesson - and my grade 10 students seemed to enjoy it - i think they were mesmirised by Pink Floyd and most girls liked Pink.

anyway has anyone else experienced prog in the classroom that a teacher was teaching?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 00:52
I once played The Enid before class started.  Most of the students thought it a bit much, and were not quite sure how to take it, but a few got into it.  Usually I play classical and sometimes jazz.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 01:20
^^^ yeah the students can think its a bit over the top. I was playing some Jon Hassell today to listen to at the beginning of the lesson and they werent impressed  altho they really liked Green Day 'Wake me when september ends'.. typical.

Anyway at least they saw some excellent live prog today. There papers did not have much info on them though so I may have to followup. 

-------------

Posted By: arcane-beautiful
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 01:47
my old music teachers favourite band was Yes. anytime he brought them up i loved those classes

Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 02:40
Yeah i was thinking of showing them Yes but those other bands seemed to be the better option given the task. Maybe Next time I might show them VDGG. Shocked

-------------

Posted By: progprogprog
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 07:35
You play some GG and will see the class empty probably Disapprove

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 08:13
Next time go with something from Pain of Salvations BE DVD, should be interesting results. 

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 08:53
In 1977 I remember a documentary at school about Greece with Shine On You Crazy Diamond as soundtrack.
My English teacher in 1974 said that she was a Led Zeppelin groupie and a former girlfriend of Robert Plant. She used music to teach English and I remember mainly Queen, Bob Dylan and Joan Baez, so not properly prog.

On the other hand, I remember a course of Cultural Anthropology at the university with subject "Death in music" It was 1983 and you can imagine which kind of things the teacher played.... 

Now it's some years that I don't go to any school....

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: frippism
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 10:45
Well when I was in 10th grade I did a whole lesson about King Crimson (it was one of those "make a presentation about what the hell you want" lessons)- some liked them, most just didn't care :). 

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 12:19
In a communications class I took in college, we were assigned to play a piece of music for the class and lead a discussion on how the students responded to it.  I played a segment of The Gates of Delirium, the end of the battle section where Howe comes in on his pedal steel guitar.  I was not quite sure where the section began in terms of the physical lp, and I dropped the needle in the middle of White's preceding drum crescendo.  It would have been less jarring if I had not increased the volume.  That sure woke the class up!  The responses were varied of course.  Some dug it, some thought it weird, one student said it reminded her of renaissance music but I think that is because I was wearing a renaissance style cap.  The section did intrigue them though, and they all listened attentively.  At the time, early 80s, such sounds were not so exotic that most students were not completely familiar with it.  I got a good grade.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 14:52
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Yeah i was thinking of showing them Yes but those other bands seemed to be the better option given the task. Maybe Next time I might show them VDGG. Shocked

I had a chance to do this once, but only had a few examples on cassette, and this was a private affair to a group of "new age" folks, mostly because I had told them that "New Age" music had started way before then ... more like 25 years earlier with the advent of the synthesizer.

Both folks (that owned a New Age store) were not impressed, mostly because they needed to protect their investment and were concerned that things I said would take away from all the bruhaha's or the newland's or whatever other cheapie new age music they could make a buck out of.

My presentation consisted of Vangelis, Mike Oldfield, Stomu Yamash'ta, Popol Vuh (specially!) and several others that had already shown a particular predilection to putting together very strong spiritual work.

It didn't work. They were too afflicted with their nose powders ... in the end, their crystals and anything  they sold was very cool new age stuff ... and anything else they did not know was not important or valid ... so seeing a video with Stomu Yamash'ta in a temple, or Kitaro, was not for them ... because they could not make money out of it.

It was at that time that I first heard the "progressive" thing being used in various this and that ... and while I thought it had more weight than the "new age" stuff, I really felt, and still do, that we have to be smarter, more academic, and specially better defined in order to have the "definition" stick. As it is right now, the definition "closes" the ability of anyone creating something new ... and the last thing we want to do is CLOSE the ability from spreading. Unffortunately, as you know, the history of music as stated in many books is about "periods" and "eras" and that would mean that "progressive" is over, and it's time is come and gone and today it will be called something else ... thus, I would like to spread the wings of the definition to make sure we can make a mark ... that is the way I see the music ... as it is right now, all I see is people fighting to sell one more CD and remember the hit ... not seeing people appreciate anything else is bad for the form. William Shakespeare is not the only playwright representative of his time and place, though he might be the best known of htem all!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 14:59
Hi,

Btw .. I appplaud immensely you having done this ... a true treat and dimention that is missing in music schooling all over. I do recommend showing/alerting them to other music's with different concepts ... the newage/spiritual being one, jazz another since it is so different in style in America to Europe to Japan and then Brazil ... and so on, because in the end, there is no greater teacher of music and its appreciation.

Hardest than anything, is the mix of east and west ... and where influences come and go. For example, Brazil had a massive influence of Japanese folks in the 60's and they brought music and what not ... and conversely, guess what ... it was kinda funny when I was listening to Sadistic Mika Band doing Brazilian rhythms all over the place, up to and including several solo albums by their members. That kind of influence was massive in Africa ... and think about CAN using Rebop and then he being with Traffic ... and you can get an even bigger idea of how influences come and go.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 15:18
Teachers in Britain are too frightful not to stick to the curriculum, which, it goes without saying, contains no prog. It barely contains any music. Until you get to A Levels (16-18).

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 15:28
I had a history teacher that used Iron Maiden to teach us about Alexander the Great. He was an awesome teacher, played a lot of Rush as well which was my favorite band at the time.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 16:04
I can remember an English lesson in which Cygnus X-1 was played and the lyrics were discussed. I cannot remember what was said then (it was some 30 years ago), but I remember that this teacher had the habit to spend a small hour on the lyrics of a rock song every now and then.
(Actually, I was the one who proposed Cygnus X-1 and/or Hemispheres)

-------------

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 16:39
I've had a few experiences with this, and most of them were my doing.
In humanities class we were studying the Book of Kells and Celtic Christianity and I got my teacher, who's an Iona fan, to play "Kells" during class.  The response was generally accepting, but there were a couple people who hated it.
When we studied reggae in my World Music class, I convinced my teacher to play the reggae intro to Working Man on the Time Machine Tour, and everybody groaned because they were all tired of my Rush obsession Big smile
Then when we were talking about the Inferno in Literature class, my teacher let me play part of the Ferryman by maudlin of the Well (which was based off the Inferno) and everyone hated it Cry
My music teacher actually told me she might let me teach a class on prog next year, which would be awesome.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 20 2012 at 17:03
I have used prog as background music during practical work both at university and in schools.

I find it helps concentration as they listen to the music rather than talk aimlessly.

Opeth, Camel, Rush and Steve Hackett are generally very popular.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: progtapper
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 04:30
I'm a schoolteacher in Belgium and I work with physically handicapped pupils with the age between 9 and 13 years old. I teach a lot of different classes but I also teach them music.
The last few years I used prog twice.

One day they we were learning about our solar system and the planets.
In my music lessons I used the classical music of Gustav Holst 'The Planets'.
I'm a big Manfred Mann's Earth Band fan so it was easy for me to make the connection.
MMEB used the music of 'The Planets' on two of his (1973  'Solar Fire' and 1987 'Masque') abums.
They loved to recognise the prog in the classical music and vice versa.
I also aked them them wich version of 'Joybringer' (From Jupiter) they liked the most.
Don't worry! They all chose for the old single version of 1973. LOL
I was surprised by that because the newer verion sounds more modern to me.    
(I like the 'Masque' album a lot and I prefer the newer version. Shocked LOL But hey, it was not the first time they disagreed with me!)

The second time they were learning about volcanos.
So I translated 'Dance On A Volcano' of the album 'A Trick Of The Tail' of Genesis.
Surprise, surprise! They liked the lyrics and they thought the song was really fun.

We had a lot af fun with these lessons and this post reminds me to do it again.
Thanx!

Posted By: MoodyRush
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:32
In an English class my sophomore year of high school, we read and discussed Ayn Rand's Anthem. I brought to my teacher's attention the two Rush songs that are deliberately about Rand's philosophy and works, Anthem and 2112. With her permission, I got to play Anthem in class. That was fun! :)

-------------
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus

Posted By: Zombywoof
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 15:07
I had an English teacher play "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Iron Maiden and print out the lyrics for the class, as we were studying Coolridge's epic poem that inspired it. Later, when we studied his "Kubla Khan", I brought in "Xanadu" ... she didn't play it! Later, I did a presentation on Prog Rock 1971 for my music tech class. I used colorful images and it was well received I got a good grade.

-------------
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 15:38

My music class was studying western popular music for one of the units, and my teacher played Jane's Addiction, Ani Difranco, They Might Be Giants and other songs. The last song that she put on was Indiscipline by King Crimson and I was just freaking out! Big smile I was completely suprised and excited. Most of the class didn't dig it, but my friend did. After that, me and my teacher got into a whole KC and Yes conversation. Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 16:45
In college I took a course in Eastern religions, and we all had to do a paper related to the topic.  So I did mine about the influence of Eastern religion in Western popular music.  It focused on George Harrison, Pete Townshend and Carlos Santana (all prog-related).  I seem to recall getting a decent grade.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: cacha71
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:02
I was never a good student in Music lessons at school.  We had to learn a musical instrument (the recorder) which seems a good idea, but the pieces we had to play were extremely simple, bland and totally lacking in inspiration.  One day the teacher gave us a project to do.  we had to create our own music, and could use any musical instrument.  I got to work.  The end result was a somewhat mismatched collection of sounds that to my classmates was a cacophony, but i didn't care; it was MY cacophony and i was proud of it.  on my next report card my music teacher noted my progress in "experimental music."

-------------
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 13:48
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

In college I took a course in Eastern religions, and we all had to do a paper related to the topic.  So I did mine about the influence of Eastern religion in Western popular music.  It focused on George Harrison, Pete Townshend and Carlos Santana (all prog-related).  I seem to recall getting a decent grade.

I kinda did the same thing at UCSB and did very well while directing things in there and got an excellent grade out of it, except that the institution ripped me off and gave me a BA instead of a BFA, which was their way to tell you that they did not want you as a Graduate Student over there at all!

I refused to do the conventional living room plays and work, and my specialty was the odd ball stuff and weird stuff and anything that was different, and already my focus was on many of the things that became known as "progressive" with the exception that my focus was already on theater and film, something that this group here doesn't like or appreciates at times!

I used more "prog" than you can imagine. On the "An evening of International Theater" with one play by Marguerite Duras, one play by Peter Handke, and then a play by the Portuguese writer Jorge de Sena, I used Ange, Amon Duul, Guru Guru and then two portuguese bands that no one knows, one that used to do a few fado/fandango things -- though nothing like Carmen had done before. I also used stuff by Colin Townes and Ange and Alan Stivell ... and I never had an issue using these ... or anyone listening to them ... or discussing them ... but by that time Santa Barbara already had Space Pirate Radio for several years and even the LA Times had said good things about the import show and its incredible number of music.  I also used Klaus Schulze on another play that had dream sequences, and Tangerine Dream on yet another play.

It is only been in the last 10 years, and in places like this, that it has been really tough putting together the music with the arts from folks that want this stuff to remain their personal preference of a band ... and seeing Atom'ic put this together for a class is a treat and massive and something that not many of us are willing to do and enjoy sharing with a whole generation. The scariest part being that folks here, in general, do not believe or care enough for the arts. But yes, that is what I think and I agree that it might not be the case. I see folks, even with this thread make the effort to expand it even more ... and we need to do that.

And don't forget that the three folks you mention became sort of unwilling representatives for that form or inner work -- actually Jon McLoughlin was there way before Carlos Santana was btw -- and he always attributed his ability to play faster and well to his higher forms of essence that you and I would have a very hard time to explain and appreciate!

There were a lot of other internal and spiritual things that were ignored and shamelessly so. Eberhardt Schoenner was doing some stuff that folks could not deal with ... and his "Trance-formation" was the original Gregorian Chants with electronics and a screaming guitar by Andy Summers -- which was what the "new-age'rs" rejected ... that guitar was awfull ... actually it was perfect! Stomu Yamash'ta was already doing spiritual stuff that ended up with various names but was influenced by his Japanese culture. Kitaro was playing drums and doing some meditational things in Chronicle with long cuts ... and it did not stop there ... Popol Vuh was already doing internal meditational stuff that kinda turned into a bit of ritual (Brothers of the Light and Dark and the like) ... Klaus Schulze, for me was always spiritual as I could do some serious meditations on those long pieces ... but they would not exactly have the theme of "spirit" and "religion" associated with it, which I tend to agree is probably a falacy and stupid idea about meditation and the inner life of the spirit.

But I seriously doubt that many people are capable of discussing this today with folks going around saying that these words and that or this is dedicated to Jesus and that this and that is dedicated to the Koran or any otner book. It distorts the value of the work, and distorts the spirituality of it all as well ... as if a simple quote was the real thing ... it's NOT.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 14:03
I played Shining's cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man the other day. I laughed evilly as the students fled in terror.

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 03:16
When I was a schoolboy, I did a lecture on a lesson of History of Arts about the history of heavy metal music. On that lecture I played 21st Century Schizoid Man Smile

Posted By: Ludjak
Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 09:26
In high school I did a presentation on Krautrock, playing Faust (even some stuff from the debut), Can, Amon Düül II, Popol Vuh etc. My classmates seemed mostly interested until I put Brainticket's Cottonwoodhill on.

Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 10:58
Originally posted by Ludjak Ludjak wrote:

In high school I did a presentation on Krautrock, playing Faust (even some stuff from the debut), Can, Amon Düül II, Popol Vuh etc. My classmates seemed mostly interested until I put Brainticket's Cottonwoodhill on.

Lovely ... and they ran away like cats and dogs when they heard the screaming girl go crazy ... if they ever got that far, right?

It was my contention and I did do a class that lasted 2 full days on the history of Gothic Literature, that went from 1750's (Radcliff and Walpole) all the way to the new stuff that Ann Rice was already putting out -- I had not read her work, but was already aware of her work. But that in the 70's the "occult" and "dark" side of things was actually better represented in music, although there were some movies that were coming out in Italy (Dario Argento) and both Hammer and Universal had never quit ... but their material was a re-hash of the old stuff ... Count Dracula was still Count Dracula ... Frankenstein was still Peter Cushing ... and Russ Meyer was having fun making fun of these with more ______________ ... and then we heard Goblin, White Noise, Plus, and many other bands, and their material was far more adventurous, so yeah, I added it to the class in a 20 minute version for folks to have an idea that ... it never stopped ... there never is history that does not exist ... and it is strictly a matter of us noticing it or not ... and that is the part that we need to help students with a lot better.

I love this thread and hope I have added to it ... and Atom' ... I am out of words and compliments already ... !

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Matti
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 08:04
When I was thirteen or something, music teacher played Dark Side Of The Moon. That's probably the only time I heard progressive rock was played at a class room.

In "lukio" =high school? (aged 18) I once taped a morning opener (or how you call those few minutes long things you play at central radio) and played GENESIS' 'Los Endos' in it. I can imagine the yawns of all those not keen on instrumental artsy rock! Smile

Posted By: Jaer007ll
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 19:06

Get the Party started – pandemonium on stage!

Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 02:15
Originally posted by Zombywoof Zombywoof wrote:

I had an English teacher play "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Iron Maiden and print out the lyrics for the class, as we were studying Coolridge's epic poem that inspired it. Later, when we studied his "Kubla Khan", I brought in "Xanadu" ... she didn't play it! Later, I did a presentation on Prog Rock 1971 for my music tech class. I used colorful images and it was well received I got a good grade.

Thats interesting cos at Uni a lady lecturer played Rime by Maiden as we were studying Coleridge - she did it at the half time break and it emptied the class! They wallked out one after another, I was the only one who stayed behind and sat thru the whole thing - so funny.

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 02:16
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

My music class was studying western popular music for one of the units, and my teacher played Jane's Addiction, Ani Difranco, They Might Be Giants and other songs. The last song that she put on was Indiscipline by King Crimson and I was just freaking out! Big smile I was completely suprised and excited. Most of the class didn't dig it, but my friend did. After that, me and my teacher got into a whole KC and Yes conversation. Thumbs Up

Thats awesome - i wish I had students like you at that time.

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 02:19
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Ludjak Ludjak wrote:

Lovely ... and they ran away like cats and dogs when they heard the screaming girl go crazy ... if they ever got that far, right?

It was my contention and I did do a class that lasted 2 full days on the history of Gothic Literature, that went from 1750's (Radcliff and Walpole) all the way to the new stuff that Ann Rice was already putting out -- I had not read her work, but was already aware of her work. But that in the 70's the "occult" and "dark" side of things was actually better represented in music, although there were some movies that were coming out in Italy (Dario Argento) and both Hammer and Universal had never quit ... but their material was a re-hash of the old stuff ... Count Dracula was still Count Dracula ... Frankenstein was still Peter Cushing ... and Russ Meyer was having fun making fun of these with more ______________ ... and then we heard Goblin, White Noise, Plus, and many other bands, and their material was far more adventurous, so yeah, I added it to the class in a 20 minute version for folks to have an idea that ... it never stopped ... there never is history that does not exist ... and it is strictly a matter of us noticing it or not ... and that is the part that we need to help students with a lot better.

I love this thread and hope I have added to it ... and Atom' ... I am out of words and compliments already ... !

Thanks moshkito! I would love to follow up on the lesson by playing some more prog but we are moving onto other things now as the curriculum states we must. But now and then we will play some prog in the classroom.

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 03:00
Originally posted by Matti Matti wrote:

When I was thirteen or something, music teacher played Dark Side Of The Moon. That's probably the only time I heard progressive rock was played at a class room.

In "lukio" =high school? (aged 18) I once taped a morning opener (or how you call those few minutes long things you play at central radio) and played GENESIS' 'Los Endos' in it. I can imagine the yawns of all those not keen on instrumental artsy rock! Smile

but then Dark Side of the Moon is sort of classic rock as status also, it is very likely that a course in rock history and music history that Pink Floyd and DSoTM will be mentioned, in the same breath as Srg Pepper, Pet Sounds, Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Bookends, Led Zeppelin IV, Night At the Opera etc, an album that SHOULD be in the curiculum is In Court of the Crimson King, which did what Srg Pepper did in 67 it wowed peuopl into thinking new, those albums should be at least talked of or showed a piece of music from it, title track or 21st Century schizoid Man,

i also remember Pink Floyd was talked about in class in the same breath as Beatles and Stones, the Who, Cream, and all those British Invasion bands

i was more into Motown and Stevie Wonder when i was in 8th grade and payed attention to music, Earth, Wind and Fire, Marivn Gay and Lionell Richie Embarrassed.

my favourit english artists that were mentioned in music class was Cat Stevens, Elton John and David Bowie   

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 08:01

Thats interesting cos at Uni a lady lecturer played Rime by Maiden as we were studying Coleridge - she did it at the half time break and it emptied the class! They wallked out one after another, I was the only one who stayed behind and sat thru the whole thing - so funny.

We didn't get through the entire thing. Even the teacher hated it! I'm wondering, AtomicCrimsonRush, who is that in your profile picture? Looks like something from Star Trek, though I know it isn't.

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 08:05

We didn't get through the entire thing. Even the teacher hated it! I'm wondering, AtomicCrimsonRush, who is that in your profile picture? Looks like something from Star Trek, though I know it isn't.
STAR TREK???? Absolutely NOT! She's the Lt Gay Ellis of Shado Moonbase, a Gerry Anderson production.

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 08:12
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

STAR TREK???? Absolutely NOT! She's the Lt Gay Ellis of Shado Moonbase, a Gerry Anderson production.

I've never heard of this show! Guess it didn't get much attention in the US. I'm a huge Trek fan, though.

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 08:14

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I've never heard of this show! Guess it didn't get much attention in the US. I'm a huge Trek fan, though.
It was totally British effectively. Intriguing but very poor from a scientific point of view with one of the worst soundtracks ever heard (only Space: 1999 of the same producer  was worse than this).

-------------

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: February 28 2012 at 00:58
about 10 years ago i was studying to be a recording engineer , it was a 2 year course , in one of our lessons we had to play some music we were influenced by , i can't remember what i had on , but there was another guy that played 'mahavishnu orchestra' - one word out of the 'birds of fire' album , the whole 10 minutes.
i felt like someone punched my face , i wasn't familiar with them that time.
i think i played frank zappa..

Date Posted: February 28 2012 at 08:51
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

about 10 years ago i was studying to be a recording engineer , it was a 2 year course , in one of our lessons we had to play some music we were influenced by , i can't remember what i had on , but there was another guy that played 'mahavishnu orchestra' - one word out of the 'birds of fire' album , the whole 10 minutes.
i felt like someone punched my face , i wasn't familiar with them that time.
i think i played frank zappa..

Great example ... of how much music is out there that we are not aware of ... and how our ears could use being better tuned to listen to different things ... and enjoy them!

This is the hardest thing to teach in school in any of the arts classes, and sometimes not something that the curriculum wants you to mention or discuss a whole lot because it ends up being a dead-end discussion many times with opinions getting in the way of the talk. And this is the hard part of talking progressive, when folks don't want to see/hear about the time and place that helped bring the music around.

I still think that most folks think that Woodstock is/was just an opportunity to get drunk and have fun ... ohh yeah ... it had some music ... and no one gave a gamn about it ... except Mosh that still talks about its importance. But I don't remember, even in my time, that many kids around me taking things seriously ... most of it were too worried about getting their first girl, or their first guy, or what not ... and the arts were not that big a deal ... but we knew who Jimi, Janis and Jim were and what they stood for. And yeah, we had issues during the Kent State shootings, but you have to remember that Madison has 50k students and it is quite liberal in the arts because of it. The high schools try to ignore it, and when they do the teachers get fired and rightly so! We had 2 principals dismissed during my time there ... and one dis-respected Dr Martin Luther King on the wrong day!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: cacha71
Date Posted: February 28 2012 at 13:20
Yes!!!  My big chance has come!  the school where I work is planning a nonformal education day in which the teachers can set up workshops for various educational purposes...  I volunteered to set up a music workshop.  Of course the material needs to be reasonably accessible and I will inevitably have to make some compromises and have some more commercial stuff.  Also the lyrics need to be meaningful, accessible and provide a basis for class discussion.   The students are aged 11 to 18 and their native language isn't English, though their grasp of English is good, the idea is that it will encourage them to learn English through music.   Also it would have to be available from legal sources such as YouTube or MySpace... any suggestions?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: February 28 2012 at 14:28

Live Snakes and Arrows (amazing song telling fans the stage is not all its cracked up to be)

during their Snakes & Arrows Tour. Recorded live at the Ahoy Arena in Rotterdam, Netherlands
(Holland) on October 16/17, 2007... with the use of 21 high definition cameras. Complete with
dinosaurs, barbie dolls, and roast rotisserie chicken

I was there Smile

And congratulations for spreading the Prog word to your students !

Posted By: convocation
Date Posted: March 03 2012 at 16:56
VDGG sounds too off the track.
Hit them with something catchier.
In my experience, college students are more fun that way.
Try UK or something

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: March 03 2012 at 17:11
I've tried to incorporate progressive rock in my classes, but it's largely a matter of pearls before swine.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: March 06 2012 at 10:43
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I've tried to incorporate progressive rock in my classes, but it's largely a matter of pearls before swine.

Good gracious ... you must be talking about this board, or something?

It is a tough matter all around. I left the world of the academic BS because of my family's high standing in the literary world, and the ultimate garbage ... that their poop don't stink. I have fun with you guys here, because sometimes the attitude towards the definition and the work is so similar ... I want to put on film for fun, some of the "intelectual conversations" about Fellini, or Antonioni, or ... Bunuel that I was privy to ... but folks here can not relate to "art" too well, or at least to something different than the 4 chords they know ... and that Minor is sad and Major is Happy! So I tend to play devil's advocate at times ... but I learned a long time ago that if you're casting pearls before swine, that taking a long look at the mirror tells me one of the lines I love the most in the movies ... who's the greater fool? ... think about it!

But you ought to hear the conversation about the kid taking a pee in the Fellini film ... it's so surrealistic that it makes Bunuel and Dali look like total idiots and they invented the mode! And in the end, no one discussed the little kid ... who just needed to take a pee! ... how about ditching the reality in the middle of it all?

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 07 2012 at 15:42
Hey, I don't know if this counts, but my Electronic Music Ensemble is covering "Shine on You Crazy Diamond"...

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk